[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

I'm going to echo everyone's positive reviews. It was visually beautiful and beautifully told. We all loved it. And no sound issues here, although I did notice they turned up the volume once all the trailers were over.

There is one plot point that's bothering me, though:

Wouldn't Uncle Aaron be Miles' "canon"? He fits the requirements as much as Peter did for Gwen. I don't understand why Miles' dad would have to die as well to keep the "canon" in place.
There are multiple canon points, Uncle Aaron did in fact count as Uncle Ben.

I'm going to echo everyone's positive reviews. It was visually beautiful and beautifully told. We all loved it. And no sound issues here, although I did notice they turned up the volume once all the trailers were over.

Wouldn't Uncle Aaron be Miles' "canon"? He fits the requirements as much as Peter did for Gwen. I don't understand why Miles' dad would have to die as well to keep the "canon" in place.
My wife, who is no spider-man fan, thought that every spider-man required two canon events, one of which was a close father-figure and the other that was either a Gwen Stacy or Captain (Stacy)-like figure.

Uncle Aaron was -supposed- to be a Miles canon event. It was supposed to drive him to become the next Prowler, like the Earth-42 Miles becomes. But it didn't because this Miles became Spider-man instead (he's bitten by the Spider that was supposed to bite Earth-42 Miles and turn HIM into Spider-man, but it bite our Miles instead because of the multiverse machine in his reality drew it here instead during the first movie) and was influenced by several different Spider-people before Aaron died, thus pushing him to become Spider-man instead. That means our Miles is on a different path than he's "supposed" to be and it's why Miguel doesn't like/trust him.

This also means Earth-42 Miles (from the end credits scene) is also on a different path and that could mean trouble for everyone.

and the other that was either a Gwen Stacy or Captain (Stacy)-like figure.[/SPOILER]
You sweet summer child... you think it's an "or"....

Marvel writers hate Spidey being happy so much that they had him sell his marriage to the devil...

But yeah, the
canon thing with his dad is the equivalent of Cpt. Stacy dying, while Uncle Aaron was his Uncle Ben.

Of course, that also means
he's still got a SO to lose to his archenemy...

Come to think of it,
would his dad dying as a captain count as the Cpt. Stacy event for Spider-Gwen? The situation fits the bill way better then her own dad...

Uncle Aaron was -supposed- to be a Miles canon event. It was supposed to drive him to become the next Prowler, like the Earth-42 Miles becomes. But it didn't because this Miles became Spider-man instead (he's bitten by the Spider that was supposed to bite Earth-42 Miles and turn HIM into Spider-man, but it bite our Miles instead because of the multiverse machine in his reality drew it here instead during the first movie) and was influenced by several different Spider-people before Aaron died, thus pushing him to become Spider-man instead. That means our Miles is on a different path than he's "supposed" to be and it's why Miguel doesn't like/trust him.

This also means Earth-42 Miles (from the end credits scene) is also on a different path and that could mean trouble for everyone.
I was under the impression that
the 42 spider was "meant" for the Peter there, hence the lack of any Spidey at all, and 2099 saying Miles' Peter was not supposed to die.

I was under the impression that
the 42 spider was "meant" for the Peter there, hence the lack of any Spidey at all, and 2099 saying Miles' Peter was not supposed to die.
Peter A died -because- Miles was there. He was delayed just long enough by Miles to keep him from turning off the machine before it was activated, the explosion of which is what trapped Peter A and got him killed by Kingpin. So yes, he wasn't supposed to die, as Earth 1610B already had it's Spider-man.

That said, did a bit of reading and adjusted my take.

- It's true, we don't know who is supposed to be Spider-man in Earth-42. We haven't met a Peter there yet, but we have met a Miles, so I believe it's likely it was supposed to be him and not Peter. It's not like it's unusual for it to NOT be Peter anyway, looking at the rest of the Spider Society. But yeah, this could be wrong.
- Becoming Spider-man means the Canon events would be directed at him now. His Uncle Aaron dies explicitly because he wasn't willing to kill his nephew, fulfilling the Uncle Canon event.
- Apparently the canon event for Miles to become the Prowler is his dad dying because it makes him even closer to his Uncle Aaron, who passes on the mantle of the Prowler at some point. That does suggest that Miles 1610B was supposed to be The Prowler as well, as his Uncle Aaron would still be alive if Miles hadn't become Spider-man.
- Earth-42's Officer Morales is already dead by the time of Across the Spiderverse, because it's part of what pushed him to become the Prowler. So when exactly was Officer Morales supposed to die? During the Multiverse Collider raid in the last movie or at the moment Miles 1610B is trying to prevent? Some other time?
- Is it even really a Canon event? Gwen's dad is still alive. Did her Officer event not happen yet?

Peter A died -because- Miles was there. He was delayed just long enough by Miles to keep him from turning off the machine before it was activated, the explosion of which is what trapped Peter A and got him killed by Kingpin. So yes, he wasn't supposed to die, as Earth 1610B already had it's Spider-man.

That said, did a bit of reading and adjusted my take.

- It's true, we don't know who is supposed to be Spider-man in Earth-42. We haven't met a Peter there yet, but we have met a Miles, so I believe it's likely it was supposed to be him and not Peter. It's not like it's unusual for it to NOT be Peter anyway, looking at the rest of the Spider Society. But yeah, this could be wrong.
- Becoming Spider-man means the Canon events would be directed at him now. His Uncle Aaron dies explicitly because he wasn't willing to kill his nephew, fulfilling the Uncle Canon event.
- Apparently the canon event for Miles to become the Prowler is his dad dying because it makes him even closer to his Uncle Aaron, who passes on the mantle of the Prowler at some point. That does suggest that Miles 1610B was supposed to be The Prowler as well, as his Uncle Aaron would still be alive if Miles hadn't become Spider-man.
- Earth-42's Officer Morales is already dead by the time of Across the Spiderverse, because it's part of what pushed him to become the Prowler. So when exactly was Officer Morales supposed to die? During the Multiverse Collider raid in the last movie or at the moment Miles 1610B is trying to prevent? Some other time?
- Is it even really a Canon event? Gwen's dad is still alive. Did her Officer event not happen yet?
While not all are Peter, we also don't see any other Miles' there, which, along side Miguel's reaction, is why i assumed Miles isn't a candidate. But yeah, they still could go either way without any contradictions.

Also, they specified that it's a Captain event, not Officer... that's relevant because of the promotion.

And Gwen is in a weird place, because her her equivalent died already, but no Captain one did yet... or even an Uncle Ben one... but maybe not all spiders get the same canon if they're not Peter... and Miles did because he replaced a Peter...

Each Spider-Man has several “canon” events. Aaron’s death was Miles Morales’s equivalent of Uncle Ben’s death. Captain Stacy’s death is another “canon” event that his father’s death was going to fulfill. People more familiar with the comics who are more eagle eyed could probably recognize the other canon events that Miguel flashed up. But there wasn’t just one canon event but multiple that are mirrored by other Spider-Men.

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts Not as good as Bumblebee but definitely a bit better than the rest. Solid popcorn flick anyway. VERY CHEESY dialogue from the humans, even for a robot alien movie. Not enough Maximals for my liking and what we do get from them is underdeveloped but, hopefully, we see them more in the future. Pete Davidson was a great Mirage. The human element sucks again and drags things down as it did in all the rest except Bumblebee though
The Maximal's respect for humans and their guardian tribe was well done, even if none of the tribe were actual characters. Also, Primal calling to MAXIMIZE was pure nostalgia.

I know it's an established thing from canon but
the exosuit Noah gets was pretty lame. At least it allowed the humans to play more of a role than just yelling in the last battle. Face CGI on it looked like absolute dogshit though.
Actually CGI in general was a downgrade, no ILM this time, but I like the cleaner designs overall for sure.

As for that ending
GI Joe was something I did not expect to ever see a crossover for, previous canon and one shot aside. Guess we're getting the HCU now. Wonder if Hasbro will also pull Power Rangers, there were nods to them already in the movie in regards to merch, into this as well.

Cocaine Bear

I'm late to the party on this, but godDAMN, I had a lot of fun with this. I went into this expecting it to be exactly as advertised: a bear gone crazy on cocaine, killing people. And I got that in spades. It's mildly more gorey than I expected (in a good way). The bear effects, while occasionally clear it's CG, are spectacular more often than not. And there's some really good practical effects and stunts in this. It's a roller-coaster of hilarity, like a hilarious ambulance chasing sequence.

What I didn't expect wasn't just the copious amounts of comedy, nor the fact that they treat the cocaine and the bear like it's spinach and Popeye.

No, what I didn't expect was getting invested in so many of the characters in this. It's largely played for comedy, but goddamn, I didn't expect to actually care about most of the people in the movie. For a movie all about a bear getting addicted to cocaine, something you'd think would be stupid and disposable, I didn't expect to get invested in almost everyone involved. For movies with a dumb premise like this, characters are often one-dimensional at best. They're often proverbial pins for the bowling ball of a monster in the movie. I was expecting something like The Meg, where I was just waiting for the monster to attack. But no, for as dumb as the premise is and for as much as it's played or comedy, I was actively routing for multiple characters to make it out alive.

I knew I was gonna like this. I didn't know I was going to like it THIS much.

Just came back from the new Little Mermaid with a pair of our nieces. It was all right. Both Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast were much better (Lion King was on par with Mermaid, all right and that's it).

My main issue with it is that it's just too long, at 135 minutes. There's not enough story there for that run-time.

But it was fine.

Just saw Across the Street LOVED it, thought the villain was a nice surprise, and feel all the talk about "Canon" is...a NICE little meta dig.

And Earth-42 Prowler? HUGE twist, kinda like Ultimatum but with a cooler costume!;

I'm happy to say that Elemental was a pleasant surprise. The trailers in no way properly convey the real tone of the film, which is more of a story about an immigrant family than it is an excuse for elemental puns as the ads suggest. There is a love story but there is absolutely "chemistry" (it's an unavoidable pun so just be ready for it) between the two characters and it turns out to be very sweet and uplifting. It's another film where there really isn't a villain to overcome unless you count poor city budgeting. Realism wise this is a film you absolutely have to suspend your disbelief: even my daughter leaned over and told me "I don't think it really works that way" more than a few times. But this one has a lot of heart (hearth?) to it and I recommend giving it a try if you were thinking it might be a boring Pixar affair.

I'm happy to say that Elemental was a pleasant surprise. The trailers in no way properly convey the real tone of the film, which is more of a story about an immigrant family than it is an excuse for elemental puns as the ads suggest. There is a love story but there is absolutely "chemistry" (it's an unavoidable pun so just be ready for it) between the two characters and it turns out to be very sweet and uplifting. It's another film where there really isn't a villain to overcome unless you count poor city budgeting. Realism wise this is a film you absolutely have to suspend your disbelief: even my daughter leaned over and told me "I don't think it really works that way" more than a few times. But this one has a lot of heart (hearth?) to it and I recommend giving it a try if you were thinking it might be a boring Pixar affair.
All the headlines have been absolutely lambasting Elemental. I was having trouble believing it could be seriously that bad. Pixar is just their own hardest competition, I think.

All the headlines have been absolutely lambasting Elemental. I was having trouble believing it could be seriously that bad. Pixar is just their own hardest competition, I think.
I think Pixar is getting the business mostly because Sony's last two animated films (Into Spider-verse and Across the Spider-Verse) have been medium altering films in a way we haven't seen since Pixar first started putting out films, with Dreamworks borrowing a lot of the tone and animation stylization for Puss in Boots to great affect and Illumination making ALL the money with Super Mario. In that light (and it's last movie being a complete disaster), it's easy to see people turning on them when they release something so... middling.

Last edited:
People and critics always expect the next big thing. Every movie has do be ground breaking and if a movie is not the next Toy Story or Incredibles people are even more harsh even with still good entertaining movies. Ghibli has a similiar problem. Not every movie can be a Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke or My neighbor Totoro. Sometimes movies like Only Yesterday, Ocean Waves or My neighbors the Yamadas are fine, too.

People and critics always expect the next big thing. Every movie has do be ground breaking and if a movie is not the next Toy Story or Incredibles people are even more harsh even with still good entertaining movies. Ghibli has a similiar problem. Not every movie can be a Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke or My neighbor Totoro. Sometimes movies like Only Yesterday, Ocean Waves or My neighbors the Yamadas are fine, too.
It's worth remembering that Miyazaki literally carved out a segment in Ponyo to apologize to his son for how he reacted to Earthsea.

The reviews for Elemental seem pretty middle of the road and that is definitely where the movie stands. It’s not a masterpiece like Incredibles but it definitely surpassed what I was expecting from the trailer. It has heart and my daughter and I both enjoyed it.

So i just saw The Flash (2023)... it was actually fun.

Fun enough to make you forget Ezra Miller's crimes... obviously not.

Anyway, here's a story about a Superman script from Kevin Smith, for no reason in particular:

So i just saw The Flash (2023)... it was actually fun.

Fun enough to make you forget Ezra Miller's crimes... obviously not.

Anyway, here's a story about a Superman script from Kevin Smith, for no reason in particular:

Even in person; whenever I hear a positive review of the Flash it’s always followed up with a statement condemning Miller as if everyone feels guilty seeing/enjoying the film.

Dave

Staff member
I just watched the DUMBEST movie I've ever seen. And I fucking loved it.

"The Machine"

If you are a fan of Burt Kreisher then you know the Machine story. This movie was dumb fun. You can't overthink it - or really think it at all. His dad is played by Mark Hamill. That's all you need to know.

Nimona

Not as bloody as the original webcomic, but still has the same heart!

The Boxtrolls

Damn beautiful animation, story was a B + admittedly but I still loved it!

Ruby Gillman - It’s pretty much what I expected. A Dreamworks toss-away project that has a lot more in common with Turning Red than they probably were hoping; A puberty story with super powers. But unlike Turning Red it fails to really be touching and emotional at any real point in the story. The film is also way too goofy without any solid jokes to make it worth it (think Emporer’s New Groove as a good kind of goofy). The world they live in is ridiculously silly and the people in it incredibly stupid and gullible. The Gillman’s explain their very obvious non-humanity away by explaining they are from Canada. The mother forbids her children from ever going into the ocean despite them all living in a beach town (because they still need the moisture is her excuse) which only helps to isolate her daughter even more since the majority of her school’s activities include or are held directly on the ocean. While I wasn’t laughing at any point there was a woman sitting next to me who was chuckling at about everything, so good for her. Though I can’t give her too much credit as she was doing the same during the trailer for the Paw Patrol movie.
The movie is C tier at best. After the A+ quality that was Puss and Boots: The Last Wish this is a major dud for Dreamworks.

Saw a couple of movies recently and wanted to talk about them.

Across the Spider-Verse

Saw it a second time with my girlfriend. She loved it, especially Spider-Punk (who I knew would be her new favourite character). The sound mixing was improved on this one, so it must have been after the studio sent a new version out to theaters. So that complaint is no longer relevant to my original review.

The core conflict of the movie still bothers me, though. I talked about this before.

Missing

This is kind of a side-sequel to Searching, which was a heck of a movie that I enjoyed a lot. I liked this one almost as much. Like Searching, the viewpoint for the movie is all from various screens, computer windows, and video surveillance cameras.

They cheat a little bit in this, like using a smart watch with a built-in camera, which I don't think is a thing in real life? So it stretched the believability a little bit for me. Also thought it was strange the main character had a camera turned on for her computer 90% of the time. I don't think it was recording or she was live streaming, so it was odd. I get they were doing it to get more reactions from her, but again, it stretched believability.

I loved the twists and turns in this, although the main antagonist, once revealed, was kind of moustache-twirling irredeemable. My main, but small criticism is, unlike Searching, I thought this one was a little too stylized. Maybe it was on purpose since the main character is a teenager, but I thought the editing and segues were a little too over stylized and fast paced. I liked the first one more for less fancy transitions from one screen to another.

All that said, I still really dug this one, though not as much as the first one. I'll probably buy a physical copy at some point.

My Cousin Vinnie

This is @That best friend's all-time favourite movie and I'd honestly never seen it. Not for a lack of interest. It's just on my long list of movies that I'd like to see but haven't gotten around to it (see also: The Godfather Films, Raging Bull, Scarface, Goodfellas, etc).

I really liked it. It's funny as hell and I can understand why Marissa Tomei won for Best Supporting Actress that year. This is very much Joe Pesci's movie, though. The moment he's on screen, he gloriously chews the scenery. He takes center stage once he comes in about 15-20 minutes into the movie. Which is kind of surprising when the two characters his lawyer character represented are barely in it once he comes in. Doubly so when one of the actors is Ralph "The Karate Kid" Macchio.

Even still, I really dug this one.

Last edited:
It's funny as hell and I can understand why Marissa Tomei won for Best Supporting Actress that year.
It's a great movie for so many reasons. I have no doubt that cinema scholars have dissected it umpteen different ways (most accurate portrayal of the legal system in a movie, most "human" characters, cinematography, character journey, foreshadowing, Fred Gwynne's last movie, etc, etc), and it's a movie I probably would never have seen except that I got handed a voucher to go see it while exiting another movie (Disney's Beauty and the Beast) and I do not regret the experience one bit. Keep in mind that, at the time, I had not yet seen Goodfellas, Home Alone, nor Raging Bull, and so the only thing I really knew him from was Lethal Weapon 2, and had no clue who Marisa Tomei was at all. I can't even explain why I like this movie so much and put it alongside movies like The Princess Bride except that aside from being the obvious comedy that it is, it also makes me actually care about what happens to the characters involved.

--Patrick

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
Currently watching Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and I have to say at the 1 1/2 hour mark...I'm not digging it at all. In fact, there's a lot about this movie to hate. Cutesy for the sake of being cutesy. Like Nathan Fillion in a Nathan Fillion role being goofy for some reason. Drax throws a guy into another guy and the sound effect? A bowling ball hitting pins. Fucking please.

And don't get me started on the fact that you HAVE to have watched the Christmas special to know what's going on in the beginning. That's asinine.

Maybe it gets better but if it doesn't I've wasted a lot of time for this bullshit.