Tapatalk,,,ich

Does forum runner work with the forums? The mobile theme works fine for me, but I can see why an app would be better.

When I was using it on my old phone it wasn't terrible, but a lot of links to stuff uploaded to the forum didn't work right.

Another forum running xenforo has decided to just ditch tapatalk completely...
talkbass.com said:
Hello all. I'm writing with some bad news for TalkBass App users: the TalkBass app (rebranded Tapatalk) is going to be deleted from the app stores, and it will no longer work for anyone, because we are going to uninstall the Tapatalk Plugin from our forums on Dec 22nd.

I didn't take this lightly. Every day close to 2,000 TalkBass'ers log in with the app. This is going to hurt our bottom line, and create a huge customer service headache. However, the TalkBass community is our most valuable asset, and the security of your information is our TOP priority....

Ok, so.... WHY TAKE THE APP AWAY?
  1. Security. This is the big one, that my decision is mostly based on. I have good reason to fear that the data of our users may be at high risk of compromise should we continue to run Tapatalk's plugin. Taptalk's own xenforo support forum was hacked last week, with all user data, passwords, and email stolen. The security "culture" at Tapatalk is quite despicable. Security fixes are slow, silent, and misleading. Security issues are ignored, sometimes files are silently fixed and version numbers are not updated, and we forum admins are left in the dark. Lately, multiple XSS vulnerabilities have been discovered in the xenforo tapatalk plugin, and Tapatalk is silently fixing on their site while leaving the xenforo community in the dark.
  2. BUGS. Have been a constant battle. The last straw: The Tapatalk plugin for xenforo throws the software into a loop, sending out duplicate and triplicate alerts to forum watchers. So anyone posting to a highly watched forum (ie, Bass Guitar Classifieds) has to wait sometimes 20+ seconds for their thread to "go through". Result: duplicate threads posted 2x, 3x, even 14x as frustrated users mash the "submit new thread" button. This bug has gone unfixed for over a year.
  3. User Interface Inconsistency. Tapatalk is built to work with stock XenForo. All of our customizations, from Classifieds thumbnails and prices, to Supporting Memberships, to the Media Gallery, to the upcoming Reviews section and Wiki, are all unsupported by the app.
  4. XenForo is 100% responsive. Now with PushBullet push notifications to ALL or ANY of your devices. There's little need for an app whenwww.TalkBass.com automatically formats itself to your mobile device. Simply go to your user menu -> external accounts to turn on PushBullet push notifications (you just need the PushBullet free app, and a free PushBullet account)

I know this decision is going to hurt a lot of folks who love the app. And it will be a 'dealbreaker' for some I'm sure, who will quit TalkBass (please try talkbass in your mobile browser first - you may be surprised!). But I have to act in the best interest of the TalkBass community, and I have no doubt that this decision is doing just that.

My biggest beef with Tapatalk has always been how it has to jump in my face every time I drop in OH THE FORUM HAS DETECTED YOU ARE ON A MOBILE BROWSER YOU SHOULD GET TAPATALK IT'S DA BOMB DOT COM YAH HERE IS A LINK TO GET IT YOU WANT IT SO BAD DON'T YOU

--Patrick

So, no other IOS APP option yet? Tapatalk is quite useless now.

Sometimes I get alerts and I click on it, opens a completely different thread.

Just wow.

Dave

Staff member
So would you guys like me to follow suit and ditch it? Doing so would get rid of those annoying notifications.

GasBandit

Staff member
Sounds like it might be a good idea, from a security standpoint. I've just taken to using the browser the few times I am mobile, anyway, now that I know how to change its resolution.

I think the problem is that Tapatalk has geared their app towards iPad users. I suspect it looks like crap on smaller devices.

I can do without if the majority demands it, though.

There's literally no way to make threads as read anymore on it. So that filth I don't want to read? Yep, always in my face.

If you're on the main page, click on the icon in the upper right hand corner (the three horizontal bars). There's a "Mark as read" option there.

Also, Tapatalk pretty much works fine for me. I've had none of the problems mentioned here.

Well, that's for the entire forum... which means I have to check each shitty UI box below if I'm completely done then wipe the state clean with the filth. Dragging the to their deaths one by one was a far better option.

The older version of Tapatalk allowed you to slide an individual thread notification and mark it as read. The new version doesn't allow you to do that; it's either all or nothing.

The older version of Tapatalk allowed you to slide an individual thread notification and mark it as read. The new version doesn't allow you to do that; it's either all or nothing.
I totally forgot about that. Well, I guess it doesn't bother me because I just browse via Timeline and when I'm done, I either hit Mark as Read or just close Tapatalk.

I sent Feedback to Tapatalk through the app:

The latest update to Tapatalk has many in our forums @ halforums.com frustrated. A lot of great features (marking individual threads as read, custom views) were dumped. There also seems to be issues with forums not being marked as read once viewed.

It's also still frustrating that users on Tapatalk can't participate in polls - which is how Halforums is deciding whether or not to keep the Tapatalk access to the forums.

Please consider updating and rolling back some features.

Thanks,
Joseph Houk

And they listened.

"There has been an overwhelming response to our latest release, and we acknowledge that much of it was negative."

See screen cap for rest of statement.

Attachments

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
At least I can selectively browse subscribed topics now which I couldn't under their previous version

Eh, I'm too used to the mobile theme. Plus this way I actually get the full functionality of the forum.