Team Fortress 2... but with toys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

figmentPez

Staff member
A Korean game, currently in beta, called H.A.V.E. Online is apparently causing a stir for it's similarities to Team Fortress 2.
Kotaku has the story, with video: Korean PC Game Rips-Off Team Fortress 2

Some of the shots in the trailer, such as a minigun weilding character going invulnerable, make it seem very similar to TF2. There are definitely sniper, demo, scout and heavy classes. However, I didn't see any signs of a spy or engie, so I'm wondering if the similarities must be deeper than what Kotaku shows for it to be called "an embarrassment" to the Korean game industry.

Fun video to watch, though. Anime girls gunning each other down in violent bursts of brightly colored paint/molten plastic.

In other Valve related news:

Steam is having a 50% sale on Fallout 3 this weekend.

Also, Doug Lombardi told CVG "We plan to keep supporting Left 4 Dead 1. There will be some announcements coming before summer's out about what's coming there" In Valve time, that probably means we'll hear something late this year, maybe next spring.
He also said "I think 8, 9 months from now once everything's been out for a while and everyone's had time to see the complete product of Left 4 Dead 2 and see continued support for Left 4 Dead 1, they may sort of see what we were up to and what the method of our madness was there." 4 months after the release of the second game is far too late to show you've got a plan for the first one.

A

Alucard

You know I'm puzzled as to why Valve doesnt release some mod or converstion thing where you could
replace all the classes with hot babes would be a diferent take on it

Looks interesting. I spotted Shego in the video!

The end of the trailer seems to have a few clips of in-game play. Is it my imagination or is the camera actually in third person? Behind the player's character?

I'm seeing the similarities with TF2 too. I suppose some of the similarities can be forgiven, eg snipers and rocket jumping. But the rest seems awfully familiar.

C

Chibibar

Yea. I can see the similarity. The only differences are

1. Anime character type
2. smaller figures (fight in a room instead of map)
3. Health drops from players instead of location

... No. While the TF saga did practically start the multiclass multiplayers. I don't see much to be in outcry for a ripoff. Having seen the whole video I think that due to seeing the same model with many different roles and viceversa, this will be more similar to Dystopia's class system (albeit all meatspace, bleh).

Chibibar said:

1. Anime character type
There are several custom made maps that replicate this exactly.

AshburnerX said:
Chibibar said:

1. Anime character type
There are several custom made maps that replicate this exactly.
that kind of map has been around pretty much since quake.

I have fond memories of the mouse map in counterstrike.

J

Joe Johnson

I'd rather see rip-offs of TF2 then the million rip-offs of every other standard FPS game out there (how many WWII clones, or Modern warfare clones do we need).

Joe Johnson said:
I'd rather see rip-offs of TF2 then the million rip-offs of every other standard FPS game out there (how many WWII clones, or Modern warfare clones do we need).
They're not ripoffs or clones. It's a genre.

Denbrought said:
Joe Johnson said:
I think some people are confused about the article. The only thing really being claimed as "cloned" or "ripped off" are the obvious class resemblences. Buckethat Soldier/Buckethat Toy with Rocket Launcher. Heavy Weapons Class with Minigun/Heavy weapons class girl with minigun.

The models really are basically just model swaps with the same cloned weaponry/style/outfits.

Now the gameplay on the other hand, could be a completely different thing.

J

Joe Johnson

Denbrought said:
Joe Johnson said:
So, if enough companies make games similar to TF2, then we can call it a genre, right?

C

Chibibar

Shegokigo said:
Denbrought said:
Joe Johnson said:
I think some people are confused about the article. The only thing really being claimed as "cloned" or "ripped off" are the obvious class resemblences. Buckethat Soldier/Buckethat Toy with Rocket Launcher. Heavy Weapons Class with Minigun/Heavy weapons class girl with minigun.

The models really are basically just model swaps with the same cloned weaponry/style/outfits.

Now the gameplay on the other hand, could be a completely different thing.
you do have a point. I probably would play this.

I can totally see Shego as that sniper ;)

Chibibar said:
I can totally see Shego as that sniper ;)
I'd kill for that model to be skinned into TF2. Though it'd be really out of place.

Also, for anyone still claiming that the basics of this game aren't a complete rip:

E

elph

Shegokigo said:
figmentPez said:
Anime girls gunning each other down in violent bursts of brightly colored paint/molten plastic.
:hump:
I hadn't read any of the comments before watching the video and I'm watching that female (bat like?) sniper shooting down everyone and you were who I thought about. I thought to myself "Shego will certainly love this."

elph said:
I hadn't read any of the comments before watching the video and I'm watching that female (bat like?) sniper shooting down everyone and you were who I thought about. I thought to myself "Shego will certainly love this."
I mean, they didn't even try and make her good/cute looking. She's an evil sexy succubus, I just wanted to hop in the video and ravish her for days. :twisted:

From those two screenies we can see that the "buckethead soldier" guy is using what looks awfully like a sniper rifle, while in the video we also see him with bazooka. Not TF2 style. Either aleatory weaponry, personalized setup or weapon drops.
I'll mantain this is not a rip, sheg.
Joe Johnson said:
Denbrought said:
[quote="Joe Johnson":2hmjq0di]I'd rather see rip-offs of TF2 then the million rip-offs of every other standard FPS game out there (how many WWII clones, or Modern warfare clones do we need).
So, if enough companies make games similar to TF2, then we can call it a genre, right?[/quote:2hmjq0di]
The 'genre' already exists. Battlefield series, anyone? -_-

Denbrought said:
From those two screenies we can see that the "buckethead soldier" guy is using what looks awfully like a sniper rifle, while in the video we also see him with bazooka. Not TF2 style. Either aleatory weaponry, personalized setup or weapon drops.
I'll maintain you're not listening. I'm not saying the gameplay is ripped. I'm saying the modeling and game basics are, which is obvious enough. The gameplay could very well be worlds different: weapon switching, different ballistics and gravity etc.

The modeling is ripped off? :confused: Riiiiiiiight you are, sadistic german doctors and lewd anime schoolgirls have too much in common.
The game basics are, I'll repeat, waaay too generalistic. Capture the flag/objective in a red vs. blue team setting? You know well enough how many games we could start citing with those characteristics.

Or enlighten me on what you mean modelling and game basics.

If you watch the video, you will notice everything down to even the running is similar to TF2 in style and motion. It obviously does not use the same models, and it seems the weapons you can use are more customized then in TF2.

However, just look at the way the toys run, watch how they hold the bat, watch how they rocket jump, etc... You can definitely see the similarity, not in the models, but in the motion.

Also, just to clarify, Kotaku didn't imply it was an "embarrassment", that is what the Korean gaming community has been saying since the game was shown off.

J

Joe Johnson

Denbrought said:
Joe Johnson said:
Denbrought said:
[quote="Joe Johnson":js2epvq6]I'd rather see rip-offs of TF2 then the million rip-offs of every other standard FPS game out there (how many WWII clones, or Modern warfare clones do we need).
So, if enough companies make games similar to TF2, then we can call it a genre, right?
The 'genre' already exists. Battlefield series, anyone? -_-[/quote:js2epvq6]

You're ultimately missing my point. I don't care if it's a "rip off", or not. Even if it's very similar to TF2, it's still very different from the bulk of shooters out there. I for one am fine with developers veering away from the realism/simulation style of FPS. All of THOSE look and feel the same, genre or not.

Soon as I get home, I'm going to town with PAINT just to circle the tons of obvious rip off modeling.

I'm obviously not talking about the idea of the character themself. German Doctor vs Anime girl, but the feel of each character is blantanly ripped. I'll just show it in PAINT when I get to the house.

Denbrought said:
The modeling is ripped off? :confused: Riiiiiiiight you are, sadistic german doctors and lewd anime schoolgirls have too much in common.
The game basics are, I'll repeat, waaay too generalistic. Capture the flag/objective in a red vs. blue team setting? You know well enough how many games we could start citing with those characteristics.

Or enlighten me on what you mean modelling and game basics.
I would argue that, based on the screen shots, the cartoony 3d elements of style are taken pretty much verbatim. Of course, TF2 more or less ganked it's art style from "The Incredibles" ... so meh.

Just to add another game to the list of games that this one resembles but doesn't rip off, it reminds me of battlefield Heroes' gui/viewpoint. And that one is at least 3rd person too.

Denbrought said:
Just to add another game to the list of games that this one resembles but doesn't rip off, it reminds me of battlefield Heroes' gui/viewpoint. And that one is at least 3rd person too.
:eyeroll:

General Fuzzy McBitty said:
I see the stylistic similarities as rather obvious, but whatever. :pud:
That's what I'm getting at. The entire style and feel of the basis of the models and game basis are just utterly ripped off.

The physical models are obviously not simililar and I'm sure the gamplay are different, but from the moment the characters moved to how each "obvious class" runs/jumps/fires their weapon, it's obvious it's like putting tracer paper over an original piece of artwork. (if the artwork were theoretical style basis)

Shegokigo said:
I see the stylistic similarities as rather obvious, but whatever. :pud:
That's what I'm getting at. The entire style and feel of the basis of the models and game basis are just utterly ripped off.

The physical models are obviously not simililar and I'm sure the gamplay are different, but from the moment the characters moved to how each "obvious class" runs/jumps/fires their weapon, it's obvious it's like putting tracer paper over an original piece of artwork. (if the artwork were theoretical style basis)
I understood what you meant from the get go. It's not like you were being obtuse.

I understood what you meant from the get go. It's not like you were being obtuse.
Figured I was doing something wrong with Den not being able to pick up on it.

Shegokigo said:
Figured I was doing something wrong with Den not being able to pick up on it.
It's probably just me, I still don't pick up on the obvious ripoffing. No need to linger longer on the topic, I guess playing the game hands on whenever it comes out will sort it out for me.

Denbrought said:
It's probably just me, I still don't pick up on the obvious ripoffing. No need to linger longer on the topic, I guess playing the game hands on whenever it comes out will sort it out for me.
Probably not, the gameplay seems fairly distinct at least from some of the videos I've seen around online.

It's more of an abstract idea Den. It's the artistic styles that are similar... so playing the game probably wouldn't do anything.

I guess it depends on your perception. I can look at Penny Arcade and then watch the Clerks cartoon (which was done by an artist hat influenced the style of PA) and see similarities. Now... does that mean it's a "rip off" ? No. It was just an influence. :popcorn:

FYI, that was entirely a GCI video... probably made to look like TF2 for the publicity it would generate... you all got punk'd...

C

Chibibar

I notice something. The "looks" are not tied to a specific "class" it looks like you can pick up any weapons and use it (The succubus went from machine gun, heavy, to sniper) which is pretty cool. So it is kinda like more Quake/Doom style with TF2 weaponry.

Status
Not open for further replies.