Export thread

Teens wear American Flag shirts on Cindo de Mayo

Chibibar

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...-American-Flag-Shirts-Sent-Home-92945969.html

You know, I believe these teens did it intentionally. It is not "accidental" per the article. The parents are going "nuts" (said article) which I think is a little overboard.

It is similar wearing KKK costume in the hood... that is no or a Japanese uniform in China. You know.. you will get shot.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Really? I thought it is still America, even though it was Cinco de Mayo.

I can see the principal asking for the bandannas, those are not allowed AT ALL in most schools. Because of the gang affiliation or bandannas now days. But the T-shirts is a bunch of crap.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Yeah, I'm a little confused about this one. Even if they did it on purpose, it seems like a preposterous thing to send them home for, or even mention for that matter.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I'll say it here too. CINCO DE MAYO IS NOT A NATIONAL HOLIDAY IN MEXICO!!!11!!!!!!!

I had to tell nearly all my Mexican born students what Cinco De Mayo was.

Soliloquy

It is similar wearing KKK costume in the hood... that is no or a Japanese uniform in China. You know.. you will get shot.
That's a bit of an extreme thing to say, isn't it? I mean, yeah, there's a good chance the guys are doing it as a sort of anti-Mexican jab, but it's an American Flag. Everyone in that school lives in America.

It... I just... arrgh!

RealBigNuke

First off, what Sixpackshaker said.

Second, how is wearing an American flag on Cinco de Mayo offensive? The US has a history of being incredibly douchey to Mexico, certainly, but the two countries are politically on more or less amiable terms right now and the US actually did end up helping out a little after the war that the battle of Pueblo took place in. It's absolutely not analogous to wearing a KKK costume in a black neighborhood or anything.

Dei

Dei

Now, maybe if these kids were in Mexico or something, I could see the argument, but for god's sake.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I am disappointed that these stupid kids/parents got the exact Glenn Beck talking point out of their moronic stunt that they were gunning for.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Now, maybe if these kids were in Mexico or something, I could see the argument, but for god's sake.
Then you would have to be wearing it on the anniversary of the fall of the Citadel of Chapultepec.

Dei

Dei

To be honest, all I know about Cinqo de Mayo is that it's another excuse for people to get drunk. :p

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

To be honest, all I know about Cinqo de Mayo is that it's another excuse for people to get drunk. :p
And that is all that it is.

Chazwozel

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...-American-Flag-Shirts-Sent-Home-92945969.html

You know, I believe these teens did it intentionally. It is not \\"accidental\\" per the article. The parents are going \\"nuts\\" (said article) which I think is a little overboard.

This is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA; not MEXICO. Last I checked wearing an American Flag T-shirt wasn't insensitive or illegal EVER! So am I insensitive if I wear an American Flag t-shirt on Bastille day?

Raise your hand if you would give a flying fuck if a Mexican guy wore a Mexican flag shirt on the Forth of July? I know I wouldn't give a rat's ass.

Chibibar

You know, I believe these teens did it intentionally. It is not \\"accidental\\" per the article. The parents are going \\"nuts\\" (said article) which I think is a little overboard.

This is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA; not MEXICO. Last I checked wearing an American Flag wasn't insensitive or illegal EVER![/QUOTE]

unless it is a bandana ;) (could be a new gang sign or what nots)

Papillon

Nice object lesson in the importance of the First Amendment.

Chazwozel

You know, I believe these teens did it intentionally. It is not \\\\"accidental\\\\" per the article. The parents are going \\\\"nuts\\\\" (said article) which I think is a little overboard.

This is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA; not MEXICO. Last I checked wearing an American Flag wasn't insensitive or illegal EVER![/QUOTE]

unless it is a bandana ;) (could be a new gang sign or what nots)[/QUOTE]

If it's a school code thing sure, but the student who were asked to remove the bandana's were told to because they were American flags; not because of school policy on gangs.

This makes about as much sense as illegal immigrants protesting in DC over their "constitutional" rights.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I don't know about wearing a bandana in school, but the t-shirt thing is totally fucked up. That makes me super-pissed. Not sensitive to Mexicans???? The American flag is now offensive. Liberal cocksucking motherfuckers. How's that for offensive? Dickwad assholes. How about you protect your student's rights? I hope that asshole gets fired.

Charlie? A stunt? Wearing a tshirt with a flag is now a political statement?? How about all those dipshit mush for brains schmucks that wear images of Che? Are they asked to remove their shirts?

Dave

Dave

To the OP:

So?

That is all.

Chibibar

I think a lot of people over react to the situation in our "culture sensitive" era. I personally think it is a overboard, but at the same token sometime you might have to be mindful of what you wear on certain times.

I don't believe the American Flag on anything is offensive, I am just saying be mindful of what you wear.

I wouldn't wear a KKK outfit on MLK b-day or I'm Japanese T-Shirt when I visit Pearl Harbor (of course I should have worn I'm NOT Japanese when I visited Pearl Harbor cause people thought that I was Japanese for some reason and randomly cuss at me while I visit the site)

that is all I'm saying :)

Rob King

Rob King

I wouldn't wear a KKK outfit on MLK b-day
I hope you wouldn't wear a KKK outfit any day.

KKK Hood != American Flag

It's not a fair comparison.

RealBigNuke

I wouldn't wear a KKK outfit on MLK b-day or I'm Japanese T-Shirt when I visit Pearl Harbor (of course I should have worn I'm NOT Japanese when I visited Pearl Harbor cause people thought that I was Japanese for some reason and randomly cuss at me while I visit the site)

That's a completely reasonable sentiment, and I agree. Also that bit about your visit to Pearl Harbor is fucked up. Sorry.

But still, wearing an American flag on Cinco de Mayo is in no way opposing the memorial. Now, wearing a French flag would be rude, but even then, in an American school, they should not have gotten in trouble. Hell, I bet if they were wearing French flags they wouldn't have gotten in trouble, because nobody at the school would probably even know the friggin' history of the occasion.

Chibibar

It's not a fair comparison.[/QUOTE]
well.. depends where you are. There ARE some official KKK group in the South that DO wear their hood.

Note: I'm NOT KKK (in case people think I am which would be odd since I'm Asian mix and not really KKK material)

crono1224

I think a lot of people over react to the situation in our "culture sensitive" era. I personally think it is a overboard, but at the same token sometime you might have to be mindful of what you wear on certain times.

I don't believe the American Flag on anything is offensive, I am just saying be mindful of what you wear.

KKK is a racist gang of people, are you now equating that with the American flag? The only way that the KKK Hood/hat, would be equivilant to a Japanese T-Shirt in Pearl Harbor is if it said "Fuck Yo Ports", Or i guess if an American wore a "Nuke Japan" shirt to Japan, but those are overtly offensive and not simply the flag of a nation in which they live (read current flag not confederate, which would make more sense having that than the KKK outfit).

Papillon

It's not a fair comparison.[/QUOTE]
well.. depends where you are. There ARE some official KKK group in the South that DO wear their hood.[/QUOTE]

Is this some kind of (not so) cunningly disguised political commentary implying that the US is a terrorist hate group?

Rob King

Rob King

well.. depends where you are. There ARE some official KKK group in the South that DO wear their hood.

Note: I'm NOT KKK (in case people think I am which would be odd since I'm Asian mix and not really KKK material)
Even if they do run around in full garb, it's still not the same. I don't think it's entirely fair to even compare the girl scout uniforms in this case to a national flag, let alone an organization founded and fueled by hatred.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't understand, the school is in America, right? And the students attending, therefore, are Americans, right? So who could possibly be offended?

Chibibar

KKK is a racist gang of people, are you now equating that with the American flag? The only way that the KKK Hood/hat, would be equivilant to a Japanese T-Shirt in Pearl Harbor is if it said "Fuck Yo Ports", Or i guess if an American wore a "Nuke Japan" shirt to Japan, but those are overtly offensive and not simply the flag of a nation in which they live (read current flag not confederate, which would make more sense having that than the KKK outfit).[/QUOTE]

Oi vey,

do I REALLY need to type up paragraphs of explanation of stuff?? I am NOT equating KKK = American flag.

What I am equating is that BE MINDFUL OF WHAT YOU WEAR ON CERTAIN DATES AND LOCATION

That is WHAT I AM SAYING.

I hope that is clearer.

I was cuss at, spit on, and even "suggest to leave" because I was Asian visiting Pearl Harbor. I figure maybe next time when I bring my wife (she never been) I might have to wear a t-shirt saying "I'm not Japanese" or might get the SAME treatment again.
now of course what I was wearing at a time was a polo shirt, jeans, and NIKE tennis shoes.

Now if I was wearing "Japan is Great" or something when visiting Pearl Harbor, I might get a beating or something (who knows consider the treatment I got last time I visit)

I am just saying, if you are going for the offensive, be ready to take the heat.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Don't wear Orange on St. Paddy's day in certain neighborhoods in Boston.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

What would be funny is if that one hispanic teen DID wear a Mexican t-shirt on the 4th or July and someone raised a stink over the Mexican flag on her shirt that it would be put on the news because of all of us hate filled Americans that wouldn't let that poor girl show her national prideo n an American holiday.

Covar

Covar

What would be funny is if that one hispanic teen DID wear a Mexican t-shirt on the 4th or July and someone raised a stink over the Mexican flag on her shirt that it would be put on the news because of all of us hate filled Americans that wouldn't let that poor girl show her national prideo n an American holiday.
What's funny is according to report I heard on the radio, one of the kids is half-mexican. That racist.

GasBandit

GasBandit

BE MINDFUL OF WHAT YOU WEAR ON CERTAIN DATES AND LOCATION
Anywhere in America, at any time, that forbids you from wearing an image of the American flag is in the wrong. It doesn't matter what day it is, or what color what people are. This is America, we have a flag, some people like to wear it, and it is their right to do so. Can you be beat up for wearing the flag? Maybe. But that doesn't make it wrong to wear it.

Espy

Espy

You know, I believe these teens did it intentionally. It is not \\\"accidental\\\" per the article. The parents are going \\\"nuts\\\" (said article) which I think is a little overboard.

This is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA; not MEXICO. Last I checked wearing an American Flag T-shirt wasn't insensitive or illegal EVER! So am I insensitive if I wear an American Flag t-shirt on Bastille day?

Raise your hand if you would give a flying fuck if a Mexican guy wore a Mexican flag shirt on the Forth of July? I know I wouldn't give a rat's ass.[/QUOTE]

I 100% agree with this post.

This is about the dumbest thing I have heard all week and I heard a Cher album playing in a mall.

Chibibar

Anywhere in America, at any time, that forbids you from wearing an image of the American flag is in the wrong. It doesn't matter what day it is, or what color what people are. This is America, we have a flag, some people like to wear it, and it is their right to do so. Can you be beat up for wearing the flag? Maybe. But that doesn't make it wrong to wear it.[/QUOTE]

again, I didn't say it was wrong, I'm just saying be mindful (maybe I am using the wrong word or something)

Troll

Troll

Anywhere in America, at any time, that forbids you from wearing an image of the American flag is in the wrong. It doesn't matter what day it is, or what color what people are. This is America, we have a flag, some people like to wear it, and it is their right to do so. Can you be beat up for wearing the flag? Maybe. But that doesn't make it wrong to wear it.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty liberal, and my only thought after reading this comment was "Hell yeah!" If you are in America, you should never be persecuted, harassed, or punished for wearing the nation's flag. If the roles were reversed, and a student sporting the Mexican flag was told to change on the 4th of July, there would be an uproar.

again, I didn't say it was wrong, I'm just saying be mindful (maybe I am using the wrong word or something)
Telling people to be mindful implies they should think twice about wearing the American flag. It's saying that there are times when people shouldn't do it at an American school. I don't think you'll get too much support for that position.

Fun Size

Fun Size

What if it's an American flag thong?

Morphine

Morphine

This is the type of thing I will NEVER understand about America(ns)

WHO CAAARES?!

It's a freakin' t-shirt, wear whatever you want and stop being so sensitive about nonsense like this =/

There are much bigger issues to worry about than someone's t-shirt.

And yeah, Cinco de Mayo is not THAT big of a deal down here.

Chibibar

Telling people to be mindful implies they should think twice about wearing the American flag. It's saying that there are times when people shouldn't do it at an American school. I don't think you'll get too much support for that position.
I said be mindful of ANYTHING you wear. It can be American Flag, an orange shirt on St. Paddy's day (taken from above), I am Japanese when visiting Pearl Harbor, anything... I personally have NO qualm of people wearing American flag (even a thong) I'm just saying that there are people out there will give you flack if you are in the wrong environment at the time and be prepare to take said flack.

In this case, 5 kids decides to wear American Flag t-shirt. The shirt itself is nothing wrong. Heck, wearing on Cinco de Mayo is not wrong, but the school who is overly sensitive (like the one in my OP) thinks differently. Sure you can get the parents together and try to sue, fight, or what have you, but is it worth it? possible, but could open a whole new can of worms (I don't know all the scenarios but it can happen) There is a freedom of expression, but some of those freedom ARE limited in a School environment. That is the point I'm trying to get across.

personally I don't give a crap of what you wear around me, what time, what day, or even location, but I can't say the same for my neighbors, my state, or my country (U.S.) Heck, people give flack of wearing OU hats on Texas Tech campus.

GasBandit

GasBandit

This is the type of thing I will NEVER understand about America(ns)

WHO CAAARES?!

It's a freakin' t-shirt, wear whatever you want and stop being so sensitive about nonsense like this =/

There are much bigger issues to worry about than someone's t-shirt.

And yeah, Cinco de Mayo is not THAT big of a deal down here.

Somewhere along the line, somebody got the idea that they have an inalienable human right to not be offended. It's all been downhill from there.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

What I don't get is why wearing an American flag on Cinco de Mayo is even being equated to a KKK hood and robe?

Cinco de Mayo has nothing to do with the USA. If my wikipedia skills are correct, isn't it about the defeat of the French army at the hands of the Mexican army? What the fuck does that have to do with anything?

Chibibar

What I don't get is why wearing an American flag on Cinco de Mayo is even being equated to a KKK hood and robe?

Cinco de Mayo has nothing to do with the USA. If my wikipedia skills are correct, isn't it about the defeat of the French army at the hands of the Mexican army? What the fuck does that have to do with anything?
that was just an extreme example of wearing stuff that MAY offend people. Do I get offended when people wearing KKK costume around me? no, but some people might. Do I get offended if people wear Chinese costume and pretend to be Chinese? no. These are just example and have NO RELATION to each other than example of be mindful of what you wear. (cast in point above on my longer post)

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

My stance on this issue and so many others that have popped up over the years that are similar has always been this:

There is nothing wrong with pride in heritage, but if you choose to live in America then BE American first and foremost. If you choose not to then what the hell are you doing here?

And before someone starts the "These are kids and don't have a choice where they live" argument then consider their parents chose to live here and likely did so for a reason. I feel my point is still valid.

In regards to the "Mexican T-shirt" on the fourth of July, I think it would be asinine to be offended by that. The two have no relation at all. Wearing a British Union Flag, that might be offensive on the fourth of July. As would wearing something affiliated with the Taliban on September 11th.

But I agree with Gas on this, in America wearing the American flag should at NO TIME ever be considered offensive.

Totally going to go dig up some old Revolutionary War soldiers to remind this country what they fought and died for again. Oh wait, I shouldn't have to. They left us a note. It's called the Constitution.

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

I think the point here is that you shouldn't have to be mindful of what you wear, anyways. The burden is not on me to think "Gee, is my American flag at my American school in America going to offend someone?" Fuck that noise.

The burden is on everyone else to realize that there is nothing wrong with that no matter what day it is.

Chibibar

I think the point here is that you shouldn't have to be mindful of what you wear, anyways. The burden is not on me to think "Gee, is my American flag at my American school in America going to offend someone?" Fuck that noise.

The burden is on everyone else to realize that there is nothing wrong with that no matter what day it is.
Originally my statement was be mindful of what you wear, it just happen the article I chose happen to be American Flag.

It could have been an article of A guy wearing OU outfit at a Texas Tech event and gotten beaten up during TT/OU weekend. I would have said the same statement.

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

Besides, don't most schools fly a flag outside? Did they take that down? It might offend any Mexicans driving near the building.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

My stance on this issue and so many others that have popped up over the years that are similar has always been this:

There is nothing wrong with pride in heritage, but if you choose to live in America then BE American first and foremost. If you choose not to then what the hell are you doing here?

And before someone starts the "These are kids and don't have a choice where they live" argument then consider their parents chose to live here and likely did so for a reason. I feel my point is still valid.

In regards to the "Mexican T-shirt" on the fourth of July, I think it would be asinine to be offended by that. The two have no relation at all. Wearing a British Union Flag, that might be offensive on the fourth of July, that might be offensive. As would wearing something affiliated with the Taliban on September 11th.

But I agree with Gas on this, in America wearing the American flag should at NO TIME ever be considered offensive.

Totally going to go dig up some old Revolutionary War soldiers to remind this country what they fought and died for again. Oh wait, I shouldn't have to. They left us a note. It's called the Constitution.
/thread

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

But your statement is still wrong! That's like saying "She got raped, buuuuuuut she really shouldn't have been wearing a skirt that short." No. Not okay. It's the rapist who shouldn't have raped her, it's the attacker who shouldn't beat you up, and it's the school who shouldn't give shit over a flag T-shirt.

Chibibar

But your statement is still wrong! That's like saying "She got raped, buuuuuuut she really shouldn't have been wearing a skirt that short." No. Not okay. It's the rapist who shouldn't have raped her, it's the attacker who shouldn't beat you up, and it's the school who shouldn't give shit over a flag T-shirt.
While I agree with you on that, but I have learn that the world is not "where it suppose to be"

people are still afraid of same sex marriage
The world is still running on fossil fuel
People are at war with each other over religious belief
people are at war over oil
people are willing to buy stuff cheap as long it doesn't effect their profit margin
people still deny the holocaust
There are people who believe the earth is less than 5000 years old
there are tons of wrong going on in the world and they are keep going cause people in power keeping them going.

There are lots of crazy people out there and some of them are in power to promote more crazies. I like to live and I pick my battles, some carefully, and some I go head on depending on the issues.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

All the wrapping themselves in the American flag in this story and this thread is pretty hilarious.

Don't worry, despite what this article leads you to believe, god-fearing white people are still completely safe.

Chibibar

All the wrapping themselves in the American flag in this story and this thread is pretty hilarious.

Don't worry, despite what this article leads you to believe, god-fearing white people are still completely safe.
until they buy Chinese products ;)

I swear, there has been soooooo many recall for Chinese products. I begin to wonder if the Chinese are really trying to get rid of the "evil Americans"

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

But a Mexican-American can not wear an American Flag at school, because he may offend a Mexican-American.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Calleja

Calleja

Mexico's Independence Day is September 16th.

I'll never understand why May 5th (it's May 5th, dammit, saying the date in another language doesn't make it ethnic, it's just stupid, the holiday has no NAME because it's barely one!) was adopted as the day to "celebrate mexican heritage".

We get drunk on the night of September 15th and scream (literally, part of the celebration is El Grito) and blow shit up and have a merry time pretending to be nationalistic one day a year.... why the US didn't choose to do so the same day baffles me still. Seriously, May 5th is just a day elementary schools get off, and most kids don't even really know why.

Plus that way you get an actual holiday name that is ten times more fun to say in Spanish: El Grito. "Where are you going for El Grito?" "Oh man, I got so effin plastered on tequila and pulque on Sean's Grito party last night".

See? MUCH MORE FUN THAN "CINCO DE MAYO" TO SAY! It even has that whole "El" article you guys love to use. EL DIABLO!

Soliloquy

How dare you disagree with the teachers, Mex! That makes you racist! And white!

Calleja

Calleja

Hell, if you're gonna go with May 5th at least call it what it actually is supposed to celebrate: "La Batalla de Puebla". Yes, you're celebrating one battle in one war we actually ended up LOSING.

The French didn't just WIN they actually posted an EMPEROR.

Whom they later executed not far from where I live now, sure, but still. He was a French-appointed Mexican Emperor. And they still celebrate "Cinco de Mayo". It... it makes my head hurt, is what it does.

Covar

Covar

We get drunk on the night of September 15th and scream (literally, part of the celebration is El Grito) and blow shit up and have a merry time pretending to be nationalistic one day a year.... why the US didn't choose to do so the same day baffles me still. Seriously, May 5th is just a day elementary schools get off, and most kids don't even really know why.
Cinco de Mayo is a Corona holiday, most public schools do not get the day off (at least here in NC they don't).

Next Mex you're going to tell me that Kwanzaa isn't a real African holiday.

Calleja

Calleja

I meant in Mexico.... elementary schools in Mexico get May 5th off (and not even that these days, they move the actual off-day to the nearest monday or friday) and kids barely know why.

Seriously.. El Grito celebrations in Mexico:

Celebrations of May 5th in Mexico:

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Racist.

Troll

Troll

I might take your comments more seriously if I thought you had a clue.

Soliloquy

I might take your comments more seriously if I thought you had a clue.[/QUOTE]

He does have a point: white people shouldn't be allowed to be angry about anything. Because they're white.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

He does have a point: white people shouldn't be allowed to be angry about anything. Because they're white.
You preach it brutha!

-edit-
Thx GB

GasBandit

GasBandit

rehosted 4 u

Calleja

Calleja

Oh yeah, you people are still prissy for no reason.

The goddamned PRESIDENT could wear a Spanish flag as a toga during independence day and we'd barely notice.... hell, if it was May 5th and some one wore a French t-shirt people would compliment his knowledge of history.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Late to this one, but seriously, what the fuck? Last time I checked, this is America, and besides....you know, what, that's really all I need to wear an American flag on a t-shirt.

If you find the presence of the American flag on a t-shirt worn by an American student at an American public school in America to be offensive, I genuinely believe you're in the wrong freakin' country. That's not even a "if you don't like it, get out" kind of sentiment, that's a, "this is really, really, really not an ideal place for you to live if you're that upset by it" kind of thought.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Thankfully even the district is not standing behind the actions of the principle and vice principle of this school.
http://www.mhu.k12.ca.us/About-MHUSD/Breaking-News/index.html
Morgan Hill School District website said:
The Morgan Hill Unified School District does not prohibit nor do we discourage wearing patriotic clothing. The incident on May 5 at Live Oak High School is extremely unfortunate. While campus safety is our primary concern and administrators made decisions yesterday in an attempt to ensure campus safety, students should not, and will not, be disciplined for wearing patriotic clothing. This matter is under investigation and appropriate action will be taken.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Ok, this is MY OPINION of what happened:

Four kids wanted to piss someone off/play a really ridiculous joke decided to wear over the top patriotic garb. There is nothing wrong with this (besides those kids just being immature), but I'm sure some hispanic cultured students got offended. They were sitting around at brunch break (WTF is a brunch break and when can my school get one), so they had already probably been in sight of administrators, teachers, etc., so if there was a problem with the amount of patriotic symbolism on their clothes, they probably would have already been reprimanded. My guess is that they put their bandannas on at their break because the students at my school put on their caps when they walk from class to class, or during any lightly supervised break in their class schedule.

When the teacher told them to remove their bandannas, he was in the right. I don't know the ethnic makeup at this school, but my guess is that there was a heavy percentage of hispanic students that the teacher was genuinely concerned about riots and the like. Or maybe he just had it out for those crazy kids. Or something.

In a nutshell, I think this wasn't completely innocent, and maybe the boys were trying to stir up some shit, but it shouldn't have gone that far. Like everyone has stated previously, it's America so there shouldn't be a problem with patriotism, but that was WAY too much patriotism for guys that age to seriously pull off without other motives.

My opinion: jaded by school-aged assholes everywhere. :)

figmentPez

figmentPez

This is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA; not MEXICO. Last I checked wearing an American Flag T-shirt wasn't insensitive or illegal EVER!.
According to the United States Flag Code it's never acceptable to wear the flag as clothing. Section 8d "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery." Also out is any use of the flag in costumes or athletic uniforms, use in advertising, in boxes or receptacles, use of the flag on napkins or disposable items, etc., etc. The flag code also acknowledges that it "is intended as a guide to be followed on a purely voluntary basis to insure proper respect for the flag. It is, at least, questionable whether statutes placing civil or criminal penalties on the wearing of clothing bearing or resembling a flag could be constitutionally enforced in light of Supreme Court decisions in the area of flag desecration." So, it's not illegal to have the flag depicted on clothing, but US law considers such use insensitive to the flag and the country it represents.

Soliloquy

This is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA; not MEXICO. Last I checked wearing an American Flag T-shirt wasn't insensitive or illegal EVER!.
According to the United States Flag Code it's never acceptable to wear the flag as clothing. Section 8d "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery." Also out is any use of the flag in costumes or athletic uniforms, use in advertising, in boxes or receptacles, use of the flag on napkins or disposable items, etc., etc. The flag code also acknowledges that it "is intended as a guide to be followed on a purely voluntary basis to insure proper respect for the flag. It is, at least, questionable whether statutes placing civil or criminal penalties on the wearing of clothing bearing or resembling a flag could be constitutionally enforced in light of Supreme Court decisions in the area of flag desecration." So, it's not illegal to have the flag depicted on clothing, but US law considers such use insensitive to the flag and the country it represents.[/QUOTE]

Touche.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

According to the United States Flag Code it's never acceptable to wear the flag as clothing. Section 8d "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery." Also out is any use of the flag in costumes or athletic uniforms, use in advertising, in boxes or receptacles, use of the flag on napkins or disposable items, etc., etc. The flag code also acknowledges that it "is intended as a guide to be followed on a purely voluntary basis to insure proper respect for the flag. It is, at least, questionable whether statutes placing civil or criminal penalties on the wearing of clothing bearing or resembling a flag could be constitutionally enforced in light of Supreme Court decisions in the area of flag desecration." So, it's not illegal to have the flag depicted on clothing, but US law considers such use insensitive to the flag and the country it represents.[/QUOTE]

Touche.[/QUOTE]

So Captain America violates the flag code? That's kind of ironic.

Soliloquy

Touche.[/QUOTE]

So Captain America violates the flag code? That's kind of ironic.[/QUOTE]

Well, he doesn't actually wear a flag. Just stars, stripes, and red, white, and blue.

Chazwozel

again, I didn't say it was wrong, I'm just saying be mindful (maybe I am using the wrong word or something)[/QUOTE]

Why the fuck should I be mindful about wearing a shirt with my country's flag on it in my own country? I'll fucking wear an American flag as a cape on every country's national holiday from now on with a big smile on my face.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Originally my statement was be mindful of what you wear, it just happen the article I chose happen to be American Flag.

It could have been an article of A guy wearing OU outfit at a Texas Tech event and gotten beaten up during TT/OU weekend. I would have said the same statement.[/QUOTE]

When I wake up in the morning my first thought when I put on clothes is not and never will be whether those clothes will offend someone. I could give a rat's ass what someone thinks of my T-shirt.

Calleja

Calleja

Yeah? I dare you to walk in a bad Boston neighborhood with a full Yankees uniform. Or viceversa.

Chazwozel

Yeah? I dare you to walk in a bad Boston neighborhood with a full Yankees uniform. Or viceversa.
Been there done that. Sox fans are douchebags.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

A bad Yankee neighborhood in a full Boston uniform?

Covar

Covar

Touche.[/QUOTE]

So Captain America violates the flag code? That's kind of ironic.[/QUOTE]

Well, he doesn't actually wear a flag. Just stars, stripes, and red, white, and blue.[/QUOTE]

actually...

\"US Flag Code\" said:
The words \"flag, standard, colors, or ensign\", as used herein, shall include any flag, standard, colors, ensign, or any picture or representation of either, or of any part or parts of either, made of any substance or represented on any substance, of any size evidently purporting to be either of said flag, standard, colors, or ensign of the United States of America or a picture or a representation of either, upon which shall be shown the colors, the stars and the stripes, in any number of either thereof, or of any part or parts of either, by which the average person seeing the same without deliberation may believe the same to represent the flag, colors, standard, or ensign of the United States of America
One could argue that he does. Either way the vast majority of the Flag Code is simply guidelines for conduct to ensure proper respect for the flag and country.

/me needs to buy a flag.

phil

phil

Really this is just a clusterfuck of stupidity.

It's the American flag, not a giant middle finger to Mexico. Both the students who in all probability wore it like that should remember that and the students who interpreted it as such should remember that.

The principal should have just
A) Ignored it and let some punk kids think they stuck it to mexico for a day
B) called them all girls for coordinating their clothes and hand them a box of tampons for when they sync up their periods too.
C) made them take the bandannas because head coverings or whatever are prohibited (maybe they're not at this school? in which case see options A or B)

But of course this guy works for a public school so he decided on the only wrong answer which was to overreact about nothing.

Calleja

Calleja

It can't be a middle finger to Mexico because MEXICO DOESN'T CARE ABOUT MAY FIFTH

Necronic

Necronic

personally I don't give a crap of what you wear around me, what time, what day, or even location, but I can't say the same for my neighbors, my state, or my country (U.S.) Heck, people give flack of wearing OU hats on Texas Tech campus.
hehe, actually you have it backwards and a little off center. Don't where UT colors around OU fans (OU doesn't care about tech that much, the rivalry is with UT.)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296466,00.html

But to the specific OP. Your comment about Chinese and Japanese relations made this click for me. That's like....that's a fucking huge thing. But Mexican - American relationships aren't that bad, actually they are pretty good. We fucked them over a couple times, but not that bad and for the most part it was fair fights, and today we try to help them out....kind of....and they come here for work and we go there for vacation. That just sounds ridiculous as I am saying it btw.

Anyways, I don't begrudge you your comment, but there was never a "rape of mexico city", relations aren't even close to that bad.

Actually....just a thought...I've gone and gotten drunk with Brits on teh 4th of July. Its fucking awesome. We ended up challenging each other to a drinking contest to decide the fate of the colonies. Sadly, America now belongs to the british again....next year we'll get them back. I love asking brits "How can you call an island an empire?". But that's different from asking a Palestinian to show you on the map where he is from. That's....that's not cool. I guess its a matter of where the tension is from. Mexican - American, no tension. American - British, no tension. Japanese Chinese....yeah tension. Israel Palestine.....uhm yeah.

Black americans and white americans though...that's some delicious tension. We will always have that shit.

RealBigNuke

Been there done that. Sox fans are douchebags.[/QUOTE]

I'd challenge you to escalate to wearing a 'Fuck the Raiders' shirt to a bad Oakland neighborhood, but I don't actually want you to die or anything.

Troll

Troll

Been there done that. Sox fans are douchebags.[/QUOTE]

I'd challenge you to escalate to wearing a 'Fuck the Raiders' shirt to a bad Oakland neighborhood, but I don't actually want you to die or anything.[/QUOTE]

The way they played last year, most people would just join in.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It's the American flag, not a giant middle finger to Mexico. Both the students who in all probability wore it like that should remember that and the students who interpreted it as such should remember that.

B) called them all girls for coordinating their clothes and hand them a box of tampons for when they sync up their periods too.
C) made them take the bandannas because head coverings or whatever are prohibited (maybe they're not at this school? in which case see options A or B)

But of course this guy works for a public school so he decided on the only wrong answer which was to overreact about nothing.
Man, I miss the old days of asking a bunch of boys if they called each other the night before, when they show up wearing the same clothes. Then on Friday's I'd do it to the Football team when they wore their jerseys to class.

phil

phil

Man, I miss the old days of asking a bunch of boys if they called each other the night before, when they show up wearing the same clothes. Then on Friday's I'd do it to the Football team when they wore their jerseys to class.[/QUOTE]

Our football players had to wear black shirts and slacks, with gold ties (our school colors were black and gold). I didn't understand it at all. Forcing school spirit on the kids just seemed so weird.

Chibibar

Troll

Troll

Yeah, fuck those kids. Especially the little punk who complained that "the Americans thought they could wear their flags." What a stupid fucking thing to say. Where does he think he lives?

Espy

Espy

Yeah, fuck those kids. Especially the little punk who complained that "the Americans thought they could wear their flags." What a stupid fucking thing to say. Where does he think he lives?[/QUOTE]

Yeah.. wow... that actually really pissed me off.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Didn't you guys hear? It's not really America. The reconquistada movement will return those lands to their rightful place in Mexico, even if they have to embrace a fake holiday to do it!

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Kids are stupid. It doesn't matter what race, creed, or culture. They are ignorant little piss-ants who think they have done something "revolutionary." They don't one clue about culture.

It's the administrators of this school that piss me off. They're the ones who are supposed to be in charge.

Troll

Troll

Kids are stupid. It doesn't matter what race, creed, or culture. They are ignorant little piss-ants who think they have done something "revolutionary." They don't one clue about culture.

It's the administrators of this school that piss me off. They're the ones who are supposed to be in charge.
I was thinking the same thing. I wonder why the administrators are so afraid of the students? The principal and vice act like the students have a gun to the administration's heads.

Calleja

Calleja

Didn't you guys hear? It's not really America. The reconquistada movement will return those lands to their rightful place in Mexico, even if they have to embrace a fake holiday to do it!
Reconquista, no da.

Hell yeah, ese!

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Aw, ya'll don't want Oklahoma, too?

Calleja

Calleja

It wasn't originally part of Mexico, so it's not being slowly invaded like the other states that were *whistles innocently*

Soliloquy

Don't the kids realize how much they're hurting themselves with this? the far right nut jobs will have a field day. It only goes to directly prove their paranoid points.

Stupid, stupid kids.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Aw, ya'll don't want Oklahoma, too?
Just the panhandle.

Heh, I just heard a pundit on the radio (who professed to be mexican-american) say that Cinco de Mayo was "a conspiracy by beer manufacturers to sell more beer."

Telephius

Telephius

Reconquista, no da.

Hell yeah, ese!

[/QUOTE]

When I saw that map I thought to myself if Canada is America's hat then if Mexico took those states would it becimes America's wedgie?

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Is it possible that we can get a couple of those protesting students to come here as new members so I can have an opportunity to tell them what I really think about them? Please Dave? You can call it my Christmas present. Or maybe a Día de los Muertos present? Please?

Calleja

Calleja

Only dead people get presents at Dia de Los Muertos dude, only dead people.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Oh shit... America is becoming Mexico's toupee!

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Oh that fucking pisses me off. They have EVERY right to be pissed for whatever reason AND they have every right to wear a Mexican flag. But to fuck up other people's education and make the school such a volatile place? THEY HAVE NO FUCKING RIGHT

I feel this might be the tip of the iceberg.. I hope I'm wrong.

Soliloquy

Eh, I'm not really upset. I'd long ago accepted that the world's gone stupid. My only doubt is that maybe the word "gone" isn't entirely accurate.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Yea. But I get pissed when people make school unsafe for kids. Some kids feel that school is the only safe place they can be.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Only dead people get presents at Dia de Los Muertos dude, only dead people.
Where do you think all those presents go when the dead have no use for them? Let's just cut out the middle man. Or should I play the Santa type figure? Well, then I want cookies damn it.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Shit like this will end up Balkanizing this nation.

wana10

maybe i'm missing something...which country sent 50k troops along with extra weaponry to aid the mexicans fighting the french? which country set up naval blockades to prevent french reinforcements from landing? thought so. stupid teenagers need to take a history class.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Viva la Raza!

Iss OUR LAND esse!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

He begs to differ.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

That aside....

-edit-
Damn, ninja'd

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ok, some more topical pictures...

So was Mexico. Tell that to the Guatemalans who try to get across the southern Mexican border.

Don't you people have jobs to go to ? Well, maybe that's why there's only 6 of you.

The stupid... it hurts so much... so much stupid. /facepalm

Yeah, THAT'S how you ease anti-illegal sentiment. By making yourself look ever more the obstreperous scofflaw.

One more reason to support 1070.

Maybe this is part of the protester exchange program.

I think you and the lady in the 3rd picture from the top need to get your stories straight.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

FORBIDDEN

GasBandit

GasBandit

Aw hell. sec

Edit - there, fixed.

Easiest INS raid ever.

David

David

If my high school was any indication, I guarantee you that 99% of those students "marching" didn't give a damn or even have any idea why they were protesting. Something like this happened when I was in 11th grade: the principal was getting sacked after that year and a group of students decided they wanted to do some kind of protest in the parking lot against it. It ended up becoming some kind of party/rave with people showing up because it was an excuse to not get caught ditching class (safety in numbers logic, I guess) and most of them had no idea what the whole thing was actually for. Just a bunch of sheeple doing what the rest of the kids were doing.

It wasn't even clear at the time why the principal was getting fired. Turned out she illegally changed some dumbass emo kid's grades because he threatened to kill himself if he didn't pass his classes (which he just sat and did nothing in, not bothering to do any work).