The bad news...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got hacked as some of you have found out. That is the bad news. The good news is my mining is maxed out so when I can play safely again I will be mining everything you need!

Yeah, I put in a ticket two days ago to Blizzard that your account was likely compromised (when I PM'd you). Nice to see they believed me.

I'm sorry to hear you got hacked Doc. I'm relieved though to hear that it was a hack and not you going rogue like Piotyr and I originally thought. Good luck on getting your account back swiftly.

Yeah, the authenticator is not something I can get in my region of the world currently. If they mailed them to APOs I would be good but they don't so no authenticator for me. I got a new computer that I am going to use exclusively for WoW with no mods for my UI since I think I got snagged through the curse client for addons. So anybody need anything mined by a maxed out miner?

Hey Doc! I was the first to notice your character took all the volatiles from the guild bank a day or so ago before dropping the guild. I told Piotyr about it and we were thinking you were compromised, so he said he would put in the ticket. Good to see you got the account back! I will check my mail later today for the reimbursement of the volatiles from Blizz.

Also, are you allowed to have a phone? There is an iPhone and Android App that does the same thing as the physical authenticator. Also, you can technically use the Android SDK to utilize the app on your computer. It's not as secure as using it on the phone, but it's still an extra layer of protection a hacker would have to compromise before he can get the account, and is not as easy to get through keyloggers. The biggest issue is the whole thing can be rather complicated to setup and is worthless if you get a hacker using a trojan, since he would just steal the software.

The emulated Authenticator Edition - Elitist Jerks

Also, AVOID CURSE. That site is horrible. If you are looking for mods go to www.wowinterface.com, they even have a free java app to update mods called MMO MINION which is a lot less bloated and requires no silly fees. The only time you should go to curse is if wowinterface does not have the mod, and even then only do the MANUAL download. Never, ever use the client.

I still use wowmatrix....
I don't, but I do it out of loyalty to the people that make the addons. WoWMatrix has had a notorious, antagonist relationship with addon developers. I remember the days when developers were openly trying to get addons off wowmatrix because they were never crediting them, and also stealing bandwidth from well-known addon sites. I would hope by now those policies have changed, but it soured me to much in the past to support them even now.

J

Jiarn

They changed that, randomly it selects one of your add-ons and requests that you visit the developer site and make a donation.

They changed that, randomly it selects one of your add-ons and requests that you visit the developer site and make a donation.
Good to hear, but like I said, it soured most of my opinion of them because it took them a long time to fix it. Do they at least use their own server now too? I really don't mind people that want to use WoWmatrix, I just will always recommend MMO Minion over it due to my experiences.

J

Jiarn

If WoW Minion does real time updating on add-ons, I'l consider it. Not sure about WoWmatrix and it's servers.

If WoW Minion does real time updating on add-ons, I'l consider it. Not sure about WoWmatrix and it's servers.
Well, you basically start up the program and it scans all your addons, matches them to the listings on wowinterface, and then you click a button and it automatically updates all the ones that were flagged as out of date. The only issue I ever had was a few addon authors give update exclusivity to curse, so some of my favorite addons like Auctionator I have to update manually because he rarely ever updates it on wowinterface.

I have no idea how efficient wowmatrix is now, but I don't think I would really need a real-time updater, so it's never been an issue for me.

I just noticed the Hacker gained me 2 levels, I wonder if Blizz will let me keep them along with the mining skill after the restore is complete. I kinda hope so.

Scythe, did you get that stuff back from the hack?

Dave

Staff member
I wouldn't worry that much about volatiles. If we need them I can take both toons on a massive volatile finding mission and I can even transmute them into the proper type.

Just let me know what you all need.

Sorry to hear you got hacked, Doc. As Rexx mentions, if you're allowed to have a phone, chances are good you can get an authenticator app for it from blizzard, which (at the time I got mine) was free.

Status
Not open for further replies.