Export thread

The Burger King Original Chicken Sandwich is terrible

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I try to stay away from fast food, but sometimes I like to cave and give it a try. It's been about a year since I've been to burger king, so I decided to give it a whirl.

They're having a special, buy one get one free, on the "Original Chicken Sandwich". Thinking that this must be a good sandwich if they want to promote it so much, I decided to take them up on the offer.

This sandwich is nothing but a chicken patty, shredded lettuce, and mayo. And it's four fucking dollars. There's nothing free about the second one, its price is rolled into the first. These things should be $.99 each.

And to top it all off, it's absolutely terrible. This is without a doubt the worst sandwich I've ever eaten. The chicken was dry, overcooked, and tasted nothing like real chicken. It also had several bits of unchewable grissle that had to be picked out of my mouth, all while tasting incredibly greasy and foul. I ate half of one, and then threw them both into the garbage.

WTF, King? You used to be cool.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I was about to come in here and defend the sandwich, because I used to love them. Then I read your post and remembered why I stopped eating them. The quality went downhill, and my tastes improved as I started eating more real food. I remember the last time I had one, thinking "this is not what these things used to taste like!", and that was years ago. I can only imagine what's been done to them since.

makare

That is the only thing I ever get at Burger King >.>

It's probably for the best you aren't mine.

Crafter

I walked in there over the weekend with a friend and noticed that they added the calorie counts to everything on the menu. It made me instantly never want to eat food ever again.

Covar

Covar

The McChicken is a far superior chicken sandwich, and only a buck.

Docseverin

Docseverin

The Angry Chicken sandwich and the Angry Whopper were the best thing BK has put out in a long time.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I remember a time, a long time ago... where item for item the menu at Burger King was better than every other fast-food joint out there. Then I got to where I could not eat a Whopper with out belching for the next 30 minutes, and the rest of the menu used lower quality ingredients.

I can no longer stand to darken that place's door.

Krisken

Krisken

I haven't been to a Burger King or a McDonalds in years. Most fast food leaves me feeling either gassy or queezy in the stomach.

Dave

Dave

Buger King?

Mathias

Mathias

Why does everyone always start a rant about McDonald's or Burger King starting with "Now, I never go to McDonald's or Burger King..."?

It's the equivalent to "Now, I'm not a racist... <insert racist rant>.

You do go to McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Hardies (or Carl's Junior), Arby's, Quiznos, Subway, KFC, a whorehouse. We all do. There's no shame in it. If everyone's claim that they visit these places once a year were true, there were be no profit in the fast food industry. And cousin, business is a boomin'.

I got myself a delicious sausage, egg, and biscuit this morning.

And the Chicken Sandwich kicks ass. It's exactly what a processed chicken patty should have on it. No cheese; no additional condiments or tomatoes. Just lettuce and mayo. Don't like the price? You can buy processed chicken patties at the grocery store, and they're just as delicious.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I hate that sandwich. Tastes like a nugget. I don't think it's worth it to bother with fast food chicken unless I'm at Chik Fil A. They're more expensive, but they taste a little seasoned... like something I might eat on normal day--not just a day when nothing else is opened or I'm in a big rush. Plus... Waffle fries :D

G'ahh, Mathias, you're giving me an envie for sausage biscuits.

Mathias

Mathias

Who's Chaz?
Added at: 11:08
I hate that sandwich. Tastes like a nugget. I don't think it's worth it to bother with fast food chicken unless I'm at Chik Fil A. They're more expensive, but they taste a little seasoned... like something I might eat on normal day--not just a day when nothing else is opened or I'm in a big rush. Plus... Waffle fries :D

G'ahh, Chaz, you're giving me an envie for sausage biscuits.
I agree. Why bother with fast food unless you're sliding the greasiest, most delicious calorie loaded product they sell down your gullet?

mmmmMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm I could sure go for a double whopper with extra cheese, large fries, and a non-diet Pepsi.

Sorry everyone, I just finished reading Adam Corolla's new book on the train and I'm in sarcastic, obnoxious grumpy old man comic mode.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Crap, sorry. Habit. :\
Added at: 10:14
Yeek, Double Whopper... I can only manage a Whopper Jr. Otherwise I won't get anything done that day.

strawman

strawman

Who's that?
I still get referred to as Adam and Stienman, though FLP is easier.

Mathias is more work to type than your previous nom de plume. However, someone will eventually shorten it to mat and then it'll be easier.

Hylian

Hylian

I must admit fast food burgers are probably my biggest weakness. I love burgers in general and fast food burgers are cheap and fast (and usually taste half decent)

Vagabond

Vagabond

Chic-fil-a or nothing.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Chic-fil-a or nothing.
HIGH FIVE!

Hylian

Hylian

I have always wanted to try chick-fil-a but sadly the nearest one is like 3 hours away

Mathias

Mathias

I must admit fast food burgers are probably my biggest weakness. I love burgers in general and fast food burgers are cheap and fast (and usually taste half decent)

Fuck man, in college, we had a KFC/Taco Bell and a McDonald's about 10 minutes walking distance from the house. Guys will tell you stories of college where they wake up after a bender and there are panties in the bed, or an ugly woman. My college wake up stories involved Big Mac wrappers.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Fuck man, in college, we had a KFC/Taco Bell and a McDonald's about 10 minutes walking distance from the house. Guys will tell you stories of college where they wake up after a bender and there are panties in the bed, or an ugly woman. My college wake up stories involved Big Mac wrappers.
And the worst part - he never called one of those McDonald's the next day like he said he would.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I had one of those sandwiches by accident this week. Bought the King Deal thinking it was the sandwich on the billboard, turns out to be a product of the day deal. Sandwich was passable, but I prefer the KFC big crunch. Sad about missing out on the burger though.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Canadian chicken chain Mary Brown's has a chicken sandwich called the Big Mary. I wish I could impress upon how amazing of a fast food chicken sandwich it is.

They pretty much look like the ad version in real life too.

Adam

Adammon

I loooooove the double-down at KFC.

LOVE IT. Got my friends hooked on them too. SCREW BREAD!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

The Angry Tendercrisp Chicken sandwich and the Angry Whopper were the best thing BK has put out in a long time.
Yes.

Also, the BK Original Chicken Sandwich is actually WORSE for you than the KFC Double Down. 0_O

Hylian

Hylian

I think I am going to have to get a burger for lunch today after reading this thread

Bones

Bones

GIVE ME CHIPOTLE OR GIVE ME DEATH!

Krisken

Krisken

Does QDoba count as fast food?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Does QDoba count as fast food?
I don't know, do you stand up to order there?

Krisken

Krisken

Then yes, I go to Q Doba. It would be one of the few "fast food" places I don't feel sick afterward.

Bones

Bones

qdoba is the pale imitation of the one true god of fast food, THIS CALLS FOR A FALAFEL!(its like a jihad but with food)

Krisken

Krisken

I live in Wisconsin. Falafel isn't exactly on every corner.

Joe Johnson

I love Chik-fil-a, but there are really none around me (1 on one of the campuses, but it's not worth driving there for it).

Adam

Adammon

Ahh, falafels....Reminds me of a story with an English friend of mine.

We were heading to a bar in Vancouver and he and I were debating the pronunciation of the world 'falafel'. He swore that it was pronounced "FAL-A-FELL" and I insisted it was pronounced "Fah-law-full". This went on for quite some time until a cute girl in front of us turned around and said

"Well, I'm Israeli, and in Israel we pronounce it 'fah-law-full'." She was cute :)

makare

I usually only eat at fast food places when I'm driving to and from my home. Crappy food makes a 4 hour trip easier.

My sister worked at McDonald's for years and so I got sick of it. So sick of it I couldn't even watch the commercials without feeling bleck. But when I came to school the closes eatery to the law school is McD's so we run over there sometimes. I am a slave to chicken McNuggets. I can't resist.

I don't really care for Burger King, last time I got a meal deal at Hardees (it's called something else in other places I think) it was 9 goddamn dollars so they can eat ME, I loathe Arby's, and I don't eat at Wendy's. The only two fast food places I eat at on a regular basis are Dairy Queen and Taco John's. My general feeling about fast food at this point in my life is the only time I really go out to eat at all is with my friends and if we are going to spend our little money on food I want to be sitting in a place that is comfortable and nice. With Waiters.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

In college my apartment was only a block away from a McDonald's. And that was at the time they were doing 29 cent hamburgers on Wednesdays and 39 cent cheeseburgers on Sundays. All it took was $3 to fill up on greasy nastiness.

Joe Johnson

It seems like "value meals" have crept up at fast food joints to the point that they are almost as expensive as a low-level restaurant. There's a mexican place right by my work with a 6 dollar buffet! It makes it hard to want to eat anywhere else at that price. (as far as fast food goes)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I can get a better hamburger, coke and fries at a bar&grill here, for a lower price than a McD's value meal. And you get to chat up a cute waitress instead of some surly dude with acne.

Joe Johnson

AND, they'll put whiskey in your coke, if the need arises.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I'm actually sitting across from a great little burger joint that eliminates the need for fast food chains. Great burgers, just no fries. But I don't need fries if there are Zapp's chips and bottled Cokes. :D

Mathias

Mathias

I usually only eat at fast food places when I'm driving to and from my home. Crappy food makes a 4 hour trip easier.

My sister worked at McDonald's for years and so I got sick of it. So sick of it I couldn't even watch the commercials without feeling bleck. But when I came to school the closes eatery to the law school is McD's so we run over there sometimes. I am a slave to chicken McNuggets. I can't resist.

I don't really care for Burger King, last time I got a meal deal at Hardees (it's called something else in other places I think) it was 9 goddamn dollars so they can eat ME, I loathe Arby's, and I don't eat at Wendy's. The only two fast food places I eat at on a regular basis are Dairy Queen and Taco John's. My general feeling about fast food at this point in my life is the only time I really go out to eat at all is with my friends and if we are going to spend our little money on food I want to be sitting in a place that is comfortable and nice. With Waiters.

I LOVE Dairy Queen. If Dairy Queen was personified somehow, I'd fuck it.

Shakey

Shakey

DQ gives me the runs. It's the only fast food place within 30 miles though, so I still go there if I don't have time to pack a lunch. It's either that or microwaved gas station burgers.

makare

I love DQ's ice cream and their chicken strip baskets.

Now that they have merged with Orange Julius a trip to DQ is borderline orgasmic.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

The only thing I ever get from Burger King is a quad stacker.... mmmmm... fat and cholesterol overload!!!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

My love for the Double Down has been well expounded-upon, so I need not go into THAT here...

I, too have noticed a decline in quality at Burger King, which depresses me... we never went to McDonalds's, because my parents said that they donated funds to the IRA, or somesuch. Whether true or not, I've always carried that concept in my head.

However, for fast food burgers, my all-time favorite is In-N-Out burger, only available in the west... The closest eastern equivalent would be 5 Guys Burgers and Fries, of which we have one in Savannah, and they're pretty damned good. Problem is, they're outside my precinct, so I can't go there to eat... *whimpers*

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

OC, if you're a big fan of somebody only giving you meat and cheese, next time you're at an In-N-Out, order a Flying Dutchman.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

OC, if you're a big fan of somebody only giving you meat and cheese, next time you're at an In-N-Out, order a Flying Dutchman.
Have done. It was MAGNIFICENT.

Disconnected

I LOVE Dairy Queen. If Dairy Queen was personified somehow, I'd fuck it.
I agree so much I am quoting and 'like'ing it.
I also add that I will do the above while holding a blizzard in each hand and burrowing my face in a sundae somehow mounted on his/her chest.

figmentPez

figmentPez

However, for fast food burgers, my all-time favorite is In-N-Out burger, only available in the west...
There's an In-N-Out burger near Dallas, Texas now, or will be soon. I hope they continue to expand.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

We have Sonic for decent fast food, but their portions have dropped and the price has rocketed. 10 years ago the chicken sandwich was an actual, grilled chicken breast. Now, while it is still recognizable chicken it is only a quarter of an inch thick.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Have done. It was MAGNIFICENT.
OC, we might be Flying Dutchman Bros.

Kovac

Kovac

I find Burger King to be the worst of the fast food places. The service is rubbish and so is the food.

I suspect that they allow their buns to go stale before selling them.

Adam

Adammon

Going to any fast-food restaurant for service is like going to a whore for affection.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

But, but . . . she said she would love me long time! :(

makare

Except one burger king in Sioux Falls. Two of my friends and I stopped there on our way to a class trip. It was weirdly commercial like.

The people working there were very friendly and smiling. It was like they really loved their jobs. When this man gave us our food he said "have a whopper of a good day!" It was odd. But I have to say the service was fantastic.

Krisken

Krisken

That sounds frightening. Like being stuck in Pleasantville.

Shakey

Shakey

I love when people are way too happy to be doing their jobs. I recently went to a gas station, and paid in cash. The guy took the bill and flipped it behind his back and managed to get it to land in the register. Stuff like that makes my day.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

That sounds frightening. Like being stuck in Pleasantville.
The inside of the fry carton read "OHGODHELPUSTHEYHAVEOURFAMILIES"

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I like Chik Fil A but I only have really gone there when a group of people already wanted to, since I don't like the idea of any of my money going to Focus on the Family or similar groups. I know to some extent all corporations support horrible things, but Chik Fil A is damn proud of their fundamentalist Christian shit.

In Texas/some of the Southeast, Whataburger is pretty decent.

Krisken

Krisken

My typical 'fast food' places tend to not be all that fast. Noodles and Company, the local sub shop, and on rare occasions Q Doba. If I want a burger, I'd rather get it from a pub or a custard place.

Dave

Dave

I eat fast food. A lot. WAY more than I should. But when there's no place to eat at your work and you are in an office, it's hard to eat well. Plus there's no place to just sit and eat without having to leave my building anyway.

I can actually eat almost anything from anywhere. But since I've gotten this job my pants have started getting tighter and tighter.

Starting Monday I will be working with a guy at my job who recently lost 50+ pounds. He's going to be my weight loss sponsor.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Dave, how much do you spend on that crap?

We have a place to eat at my job. Numerous people order out every day, spending about $8-$10 every day. I bring my lunch: it costs me $10 a week. Think about how much that difference adds up week by week.

Dave

Dave

The problem is, we don't (haven't) had a lot of food at home. And since both kids were home I wasn't taking food. I know it's counter-intuitive do do it that way, but I mooched and scrounged at work to eat.

Since we went grocery shopping last week we have a lot of food that I'll be able to box up & take with me.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I know it feels like you're spending more when you plunk down a bunch for groceries, but you're really saving in the long run.

Mathias

Mathias

The problem is, we don't (haven't) had a lot of food at home. And since both kids were home I wasn't taking food. I know it's counter-intuitive do do it that way, but I mooched and scrounged at work to eat.

Since we went grocery shopping last week we have a lot of food that I'll be able to box up & take with me.

Dave,

Do what my wife does. She buys like 10 bucks worth of coldcuts, cheese, and bread. I make five sammiches on Sunday night. Easy grab and go everyday of the week. My lunch is often a sammich, hard sourdough prezels, pudding, and an apple. I also grab two granola bars for in between to keep the metabolism going. All my lunch shit is stuff I can grab and cram into a plastic bag in the morning. Once a week or so I'll grab breakfast at McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts, but the other days I make some oatmeal. Oatmeal is friggin amazing. It will keep you full well into lunch time. Oatmeal is probably the best breakfast food on the planet.

makare

I can't eat oatmeal. It makes me sick and always has. Even the smell of it blech.

And that pisses me off because it is really the cheapest best breakfast food. If I could eat oatmeal it would cut my grocery bill in half because I could eat it for dinner sometimes too. Damn .

When I work at places I have to bring my own lunch I have a lot of trouble. I don't like sandwiches much. I mean I will eat them sometimes but I get sick of them really fast. For a while I was packing a sandwich and it would end up getting thrown away because I would rather just not eat than eat that. Usually I bring raw vegetables like peppers and radishes. I love those things but they are not very filling. Soup is also a good lunch but it is a pain to heat and take with you.

Right now at school I am eating a lot of hummus and crackers. I love hummus. Mmmm. Hummus for lunch and then cottage cheese and soup for dinner. College blows.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I need to try oatmeal. I've never had it before.

Krisken

Krisken

It's best as a cookie.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I need to try oatmeal. I've never had it before.
Then, make sure you're aware that there is a huge difference in flavor and texture between the various ways oats can be processed. In my opinion, steel cut oats are the best, but I can understand people that prefer rolled oats or ground oats. Instant oatmeal is an abomination and should be avoided at all costs, it's flavor is bland (which is why it usually has tons of sugar and artificial flavor added) and it's texture is blech.

Personally I like my oatmeal with just a little maple syrup, though some milk can be nice as well. My dad has oatmeal almost every morning. He makes up a huge batch on the weekends, and stores it in the fridge for a quick breakfast on weekdays. The texture isn't exactly the same (it comes out a little drier and more firm) but it's still really tasty.

makare

It's best as a cookie.

That is one of the few ways I can eat it so yeah I stand by that. hehe.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Mmmmm, oatmeal. Steel cut oats are the best! I like to add fruit and crushed almonds. Talk about keep you full for half a day...

fade

fade

I like fast food. It tastes good. The Whopper is tasty. The Big Mac is tasty. McDonalds fries are cracktastically good. I just don't eat it often. I know it's bad for me, so I just plain don't. Maybe once a month. But it's tasty.

Please don't take this personally, anyone here. I find it strange, though, that everyone I meet or hear from says they hate fast food, or go on about how it give you the runs or something. Yet they still make billions in sales. How can that be when nearly everyone I see says it's nasty?

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I'd say it's mostly time constraints for eating and convenience that steer people to fast food places, even if they think it's nasty and/or gives them the runs.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I like fast food. It tastes good. The Whopper is tasty. The Big Mac is tasty. McDonalds fries are cracktastically good. I just don't eat it often. I know it's bad for me, so I just plain don't. Maybe once a month. But it's tasty.

Please don't take this personally, anyone here. I find it strange, though, that everyone I meet or hear from says they hate fast food, or go on about how it give you the runs or something. Yet they still make billions in sales. How can that be when nearly everyone I see says it's nasty?
Because it's easy. I hate fast food. Everything you've mentioned is tasty, in the way that tasty refers to having a taste, and so garbage and shit have flavors though you don't see me ladeling it out of the toilet, and liking the over-salted, so wet they're watery fries of McDonald's is a good reason to question your judgment on any food ever. However, when you're on a six hour road trip and are trying to get some quick food for the kids when there's still three hours to go and it's 10 at night already, you stop and get some fast food, because it's easy. I've bit the bullet and eaten McDonald's when I had to, because it was that or go hungry until we arrived at our destination at 1 or 2 in the morning when you're unlikely to get any food anyway. It's a matter of necessity.

Now apply that to running late several evenings when both parents work, or you're trying to get quick food before you arrive at work, or your shitty job only gives a 15-minute lunch break, or you just can't be arsed to make your food beforehand, or it's the end of the day and you're tired, etc., etc... Life just puts you in a position to eat crap sometimes, even when you don't want to. And it happens to a lot of people, and often.

Then there's the Happy Meal, and my sister and I pushed for that shit again and again even when we couldn't mouth down an entire carton of McDonald's McChickenTurdNuggets, because we wanted that fucking toy, dammit. It's no wonder so many kids in the U.S. are overweight.

makare

whatever man, McDonald's fries are awesome and chicken mcnuggets are even more so.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

McDonald's fries suck, BK's aren't any better... Arby's has some of the best, but by FAR the best would, again, be 5 Guys or In-N-Out... when you can watch the FryGuy running a spud through a peeler and slicer before dumping them in the Fryolator... THERE'S quality

makare

Ew Arby's.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

whatever man, McDonald's fries are awesome and chicken mcnuggets are even more so.
Your food comments in the past haven't opined you as much of a food guru yourself. When you eat crap, crap tastes good. When you eat good stuff, crap tastes like crap.

McDonald's continues to be successful because most people eat crap in general.

makare

What crap do I eat?

Terrik

Terrik

I eat McDonalds maybe 3 times a year in China. If only because it reminds me of home. I live in a place where you can get a healthy and good tasting meal for about $1-$2. McDonalds here still costs around...24RMB for the extra value meal so a little less than $4. I figure why bother.

However I did eat Burger King in Shanghai Pudong Airport and my mouth exploded in awesomeness.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

What crap do I eat?
Apparently McDonald's.

makare

Apparently McDonald's.
That's a little tautological. I rarely eat McDonald's or any fast food. So by your comment it should taste bad to me because I, in fact, very rarely eat "crap".

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

We forgot the first rule of HalForums: Do NOT talk about food. Food is srs bzns

makare

I don't know why people have to be so mean about it. It is just food. Acting like someone is a horrible person because of what they eat is a little extreme. I bet Hitler never at McDonald's. >.>

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I have a joke for that, but it's in sooooo bad taste that I'm just gonna keep my damn mouth shut.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Why does everyone say it's nasty? For the same reason that people who are literature snobs hide their Twilight books in their mattress--for the same reason movie snobs watch "Dude Where's My Car" alone in the dark with all the doors bolted. It can taste great when you're in the mood for just plain salty greasy food. I'll admit that sometimes it's all I want. But it's not great food in the same way that an enjoyable book might not be well written, technically.

Tl;dr? Not everyone likes admitting they have "guilty pleasures."

Baerdog

Baerdog

Shit, I am starting that thread.

makare

I have guilty pleasures... but none of them involve food.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Take it to the new thread!

Cajungal

Cajungal

See, I have to be careful about what I bring into my parents' home...Dad is huge and love bad food but pretends not to when he's dieting (because it helps him not think about what he misses). Mom is in WW and is always commenting on hy what we're eating is bad. So it's impossible to enjoy a burger without hearing about saturated fat. Totally ruins my meal.

makare

Take it to the new thread!
No.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Mary Brown's taters > all of your inferior fries.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The Potato Patch @ Kennywood Park in Pittsburgh is the ultimate expression of French Fry. No others need apply.

And not a one can be had until spring. :(

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'll take some onion rings at Raffa's. Definitely not fast food, or a chain, but hands down the best onion rings I have ever eaten.

Krisken

Krisken

I really don't understand why people are getting so excited. Just because I don't enjoy the food anymore doesn't mean others shouldn't or it isn't good to eat. I know that I'm not judging those who enjoy fast foods.

It seems a little strange to me to assume that I'm being snobbish by stating I don't like fast food anymore.

Baerdog

Baerdog

I don't like food anymore.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Why does everyone say it's nasty? For the same reason that people who are literature snobs hide their Twilight books in their mattress--for the same reason movie snobs watch "Dude Where's My Car" alone in the dark with all the doors bolted. It can taste great when you're in the mood for just plain salty greasy food. I'll admit that sometimes it's all I want. But it's not great food in the same way that an enjoyable book might not be well written, technically.

Tl;dr? Not everyone likes admitting they have "guilty pleasures."
You're way off. Ignoring the "if someone hates on something, it's because they secretly like it" thing, which is ridiculous, disliking a bad book or bad movie is not the same as with food that is bad for you. Neither a book nor movie that's trash is going to poison your mind, even on a consistent basis, like the toilet reject patties from McDonald's and the like will poison your body.

I know that I'm not judging those who enjoy fast foods.
I am. I judge them. They have failed.

It seems a little strange to me to assume that I'm being snobbish by stating I don't like fast food anymore.
Because to add more twists to this thread, you could posit "people who like something bad know it's bad, so they pretend everyone else secretly likes it to feel better about it."

Baerdog

Baerdog

Thank God escushion is here to protect us all from evil fast food. I don't know what I'd do without him.

Krisken

Krisken

But... but... damn it! I'm not Strong Sad!

It's my avatars new hat, isn't it?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Thank God escushion is here to protect us all from evil fast food. I don't know what I'd do without him.
Sleep well, citizen.

I'd note my avatar, but this new code seems to have neutered it. :/

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Until escushion turns into my cardiologist... your problem not mine. Now go fetch me another Ribwich.

makare

Yeah I'm definitely getting some McNuggets tomorrow. There is no way around it now.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I'll grant that not everyone who says they hate fast food is huddled over in the dark gobbling down burgers. They DO exist, however, and they mostly fit into the on-again/off-again dieter's club. To answer Fade's "if everyone says they hate it, why do they get so much business" thing, I guess I was really trying to say that knowing that something isn't good for you or isn't that great quality isn't going to stop every person from going there. It's cheap, it's edible, and they don't have to stop their daily errands for long. So, yeah, not always a guilty pleasure, but a convenience that people take advantage of because they haven't eaten since 6 am and their children are screaming. People who go there every now and then might still tell people "I don't eat fast food" because they don't make a point to go there. They don't get excited about buying nuggets and fries. They just end up there and therefore don't lump themselves in with people who do make a point to go there.

Mathias

Mathias

Simple, it's because they don't want to look like fat pigs who eat fast food all the time.
Added at: 09:53
I can't eat oatmeal. It makes me sick and always has. Even the smell of it blech.

And that pisses me off because it is really the cheapest best breakfast food. If I could eat oatmeal it would cut my grocery bill in half because I could eat it for dinner sometimes too. Damn .

When I work at places I have to bring my own lunch I have a lot of trouble. I don't like sandwiches much. I mean I will eat them sometimes but I get sick of them really fast. For a while I was packing a sandwich and it would end up getting thrown away because I would rather just not eat than eat that. Usually I bring raw vegetables like peppers and radishes. I love those things but they are not very filling. Soup is also a good lunch but it is a pain to heat and take with you.

Right now at school I am eating a lot of hummus and crackers. I love hummus. Mmmm. Hummus for lunch and then cottage cheese and soup for dinner. College blows.

Oh geez, if they did a Discovery Channel documentary on me. My primary food would be a sandwich. I loves me some good sammiches.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Oh geez, if they did a Discovery Channel documentary on me. My primary food would be a sandwich. I loves me some good sammiches.
Sandwiches are the best. You can do anything with them. They are the Infinity Food.

Krisken

Krisken

There was a few months there where all I would eat were wheat bread sandwiches filled with various meats, cheeses, alfalfa sprouts, and peppercorn ranch dressing. I might have to revisit that for nostalgia sake.

fade

fade

I don't think CG is trying to say that everyone who says they hate fast food is secretly eating it.

Escuchion, I've lived all over this country, and I don't think I've ever once had a single McDonald's fry that was wet or watery. In fact, I would go so far in the opposite direction as to say the one problem I've had with them is when they are over-fried. I can't even really envision what you're talking about. Like a steak fry? Because those things are nasty. There are two big problems I have with your arguments. 1) you assume everyone who says something positive about fast food are doing it in extremis (CG), and 2) the assumption that if you like fast food you can't possibly like anything else. Why? I like the idea of hot butt-naked sex and a protracted, tragedy-laced romance. I also refuse to deny myself the hot butt-naked sex on the premise that it's somehow lower-class. Indulging in hot-naked sex doesn't dilute my appreciation of the Shakespearian romance.

I call total rationalization on the "convenience" argument. This is the argument that has been put forth by a lot of watchdogs. I don't buy it because there are lots of convenient healthy food options. Given those, people still choose the McDonald's. Why? It's not necessarily cheaper or faster. Not to mention the five minutes it takes to slap together a sandwich in the morning.

For the record, I trace my own argument back to one I had in college with a friend of mine who to this day I consider a superb debater. And this is from someone who loves to argue. I made the same disingenuous comment that McDonald's was disgusting, and his reply, though much more elegantly worded, was "Bull. It tastes good and you know it. They've made it their business to make it taste good. They appeal to all the fundamental flavors your body craves. Now, it's terrible for you, but you can't in all seriousness deny its appeal, if for nothing else than your simple human biology is designed to seek out this very combination."

Since then, I've tended to look at people who say that it's nasty with a skeptical eye, because he had good points. Maybe it's one of those attempts people make to down something they used to be addicted to in order to avoid re-addiction?

Krisken

Krisken

Maybe it goes beyond simply smell and taste for some people? I know I've smelled the food and had the mouth water reaction. Hell, fast food restaurants dump the grease out in back specifically to draw people in. As you say, fade, it is specifically engineered to bring the most people in.

Visually, however, I find myself very turned off the fare at say a McDonalds or Burger King.

I also don't find the idea of it being "disgusting" as disingenuous. If something makes you ill, your body will direct you away from it, even if that didn't cause the illness to begin with. I was once sick and threw up a lot of Golden Grahams. That was 15 years ago and to this day I can't smell Golden Grahams and milk without feeling ill to my stomach. Just thinking about it makes me a little green.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I am. I judge them. They have failed
Can I get a ruling? Someone recently claimed that Rice Crispy squares count as a breakfast cereal.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Fade: I'm not saying you can't both enjoy Twilight and have naked butt sex; it's a matter of "there's something better two blocks down."

As for fries, come to western NY. The McDonald's fries there are watery garbage sprayed with salt and if you enjoy that, I can point you to a cow pasture. I've not tried McDonald's fries since moving from there, as I have no reason to, but it was more than one McDonald's restaurant. And I love steak fries. If McDonald's served steak fries, I'd be all over that. But they sell this potato rejection hash.

I will say they're not as bad as Wendy's fries, but that's not saying much.

I think your roommate is wrong. Yeah, a lot of science has gone into promoting and to engineering this stuff for mass consumption, but that's not an exact science on a world of billions of people, or when poor decisions are made. Their cheese is garbage. They put too much gunk on a burger to the point that it's almost worth getting a spoon. Fries, see above. Nuggets--where's the chicken? I don't mean they don't use chickens; I just think you get more fried bread bits than meat in your average nugget.

Wendy's does better with how their food is actually assembled, though it tastes like styrofoam.

Burger King burgers are a shadow of real burgers--they only make me hungry for the real thing. Knowing I can have something more substantial and better-tasting if I just put in the effort to go get it doesn't make me want to spend my money. I will admit that I like BK fries though. I don't eat them, and they're still shit for you, but they're firm and flavorful, like from flavor country.

makare

How do you guys feel about the whole thick burger thing?

I'm furious at Hardees. I had to wait 15 minutes in a drive through once for my burger (Hardees being one of the few fast food places I actually eat burgers. Their mushroom and swiss is fanfrickintastic or it was before the thick burger thing). They even had a sign that said "it's worth the wait" no it isn't. It's fast food. if I wanted to/ had time to wait I probably would be eating somewhere else.

And I don't like thick burgers anyway. They should have let you have a choice between thick burger and the old kind of not thick burger which I liked infinitely more.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I prefer eating a thick burger, but I agree--fast food is fast, otherwise it's defeating its purpose. 15 minutes is only a little less than I could wait in a real restaurant for a real burger.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I'm just going to pitch in that I'm a fast food junkie. I tihnk I may be addicted cuz I crave it so bad after only one week. I'm trying to break myself of it but it's hard. Very hard. Fade is right in saying that it appeals to every sense.

My favorite place, since everyone else pitched theirs in, I love Wendys and, locally, I love Mary Browns.

Mathias

Mathias

Fade: I'm not saying you can't both enjoy Twilight and have naked butt sex; it's a matter of "there's something better two blocks down."

As for fries, come to western NY. The McDonald's fries there are watery garbage sprayed with salt and if you enjoy that, I can point you to a cow pasture. I've not tried McDonald's fries since moving from there, as I have no reason to, but it was more than one McDonald's restaurant. And I love steak fries. If McDonald's served steak fries, I'd be all over that. But they sell this potato rejection hash.

I will say they're not as bad as Wendy's fries, but that's not saying much.

I think your roommate is wrong. Yeah, a lot of science has gone into promoting and to engineering this stuff for mass consumption, but that's not an exact science on a world of billions of people, or when poor decisions are made. Their cheese is garbage. They put too much gunk on a burger to the point that it's almost worth getting a spoon. Fries, see above. Nuggets--where's the chicken? I don't mean they don't use chickens; I just think you get more fried bread bits than meat in your average nugget.

Wendy's does better with how their food is actually assembled, though it tastes like styrofoam.

Burger King burgers are a shadow of real burgers--they only make me hungry for the real thing. Knowing I can have something more substantial and better-tasting if I just put in the effort to go get it doesn't make me want to spend my money. I will admit that I like BK fries though. I don't eat them, and they're still shit for you, but they're firm and flavorful, like from flavor country.

Dude, did Ronald McDonald rape your sister or something?

makare

I bet Ronald spooges Special Sauce

Krisken

Krisken

:Leyla:

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

drifter

drifter

I love me some burggake.

makare

and krisken and oc have their mouths open ready to catch it.

mmm

*i think i just made myself sick *

Krisken

Krisken

No, that smiley was to take the place of the one that throws up, which we don't have.

makare

hahaha

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Oh sweet zombie Jesus, makare... it's bad enough that I'm camped outside a house filled with corpses (I exaggerate, but STILL), but now I have to have the mental image of Ronald McDonald skeeting into my horrified face.

I may never sleep again

makare

aw poor oc...

Mathias

Mathias

You know you want a Cleveland Steamer from Grimace.

Cajungal

Cajungal

P'ahahahah! Oh my God...

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

And you don't EVEN want to know what the Hamburglar will do to you when you're not looking! :eek:

Cajungal

Cajungal

Rubble rubble...

makare

You are all perverts!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Cajun Aloysius Gal, I am SHOCKED and APPALLED... from makare, I expect this kind of behavior, but YOU?

makare

I'm a lady damn it!

Cajungal

Cajungal

Cajun Aloysius Gal, I am SHOCKED and APPALLED... from makare, I expect this kind of behavior, but YOU?
HEY. I can't be the Pollyanna all the time. Bitch gotta cut loose sometimes.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Yeah, just be careful about being a lady around the Fry Guys. Those aren't hairs on them. What are they? Let's just say: Have you watched hentai?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Man... this is getting very disturbing very quickly... :Leyla:

Fun Size

Fun Size

Not enough fast food discussions go in this direction. It's a pity really.

Almost back on topic: back when I still ate meat, Wendy's had a kick-ass spicy chicken sandwich. Do they still make those, and do they kick ass less than I remember?

Cajungal

Cajungal

I like 'em. Gotta have one every now and then! So tasty with a root beer... Oh man.

Jiarn

There are so many better choices for food than Burger King. Local joints will almost always beat it on flavor, size and price. Granted they're not as fast.

However in BKs defense, the Texas Double Whopper and the Chicken Fries with Zesty Sauce are pretty good on long road trips.

D

Dubyamn

Fun story one time I was driving through North Carolina pulled into a Burger King drive through and Ordered a Whopper no pickles no Tomato. I have never seen fast food people more pissed off. I had to repeat my order twice at the window and even then I heard the guy in the back complaining about having to make my meal. Of course the entire time I'm staring at the person who is supposed to be handing me my food singing "Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce special orders don't upset us."

Most bizarre fast food experience I've ever had. I mean come on I don't like pickles and I don't like tomatoes but the way they acted it's like I ordered a genocide with extraordinary killings.

Adam

Adammon

Most bizarre fast food experience I've ever had. I mean come on I don't like pickles and I don't like tomatoes but the way they acted it's like I ordered a genocide with extraordinary killings.

I have got to get me one of these!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Chik-fil-a or nothing.
I only wish the nearest one wasn't two counties over, in a shopping mall.

Krisken

Krisken

I had 5 Guys. It was epic. Best fries I've ever had from a chain restaurant.

Jay

Jay

I'm an installation tech and let me tell you, I tend to eat on the road 2-3 times a week for lunch. Depending where I go, my choices CAN be limited but with my GPS and looking ahead on google maps I can go to places (where possible) where I can eay WELL. I haven't been to McDonalds or Burger King since the millenium. If I really need to go fast food, I'd go to a Harvey's (americans don't have this I assume) where the burgers are grilled to your tastes, where you can pick out fresh ingredients and the guy prepares your burger in front of you. No where close to my grill but I'll take that over the processed shit I see that runs on the tube. The double down? I try my damnest to eat healthy or at worst case, eat a family diner that to be honest have made me discover some real special niches (trip advisor helps) and cost less than these "value meals" with 1500 mg of sodium in a burger, seriously WTF.

It'll be a cold place in hell before you'd see me eat a double downer and to be honest, I think people who eat that kind of shit pretty damn pathetic... especially when I see them woddling down the street.

I didn't pack my lunch today, I drove the same distance to an ethnic supermarket and bought a fresh whole wheat panini, 5 slices of provolone and mortadella and an italian tomato and a nectarine (for 4$) and ate a really amazing sammich/desert. Oh and water is free!

I'm not going to say I never go out and enjoy myself once in awhile but seriously, if you eat out more than twice a week, you need to eat better.

Breakfast? When you wake up drink a tall glass of water (or orange juice or milk) avoid anything salty and you'll realize how quickly you wake up. Those McWraps? Mmmmm sodium delight!

Adam

Adammon

Are you calling me fat?

Jay

Jay

If you're asking you probably are. Sorry.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

There was this little independent convenience store in my home town that used to make their own homemade spuds/taters/potato wedges. They were, in a word, glorious. For four bucks you got a box of them that weighed 3 pounds. And they were just perfectly done. I've never had potato wedges that good anywhere else.

makare

Is one person expected to eat 3 pounds of potatoes?! :Leyla:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

There was this little independent convenience store in my home town that used to make their own homemade spuds/taters/potato wedges. They were, in a word, glorious. For four bucks you got a box of them that weighed 3 pounds. And they were just perfectly done. I've never had potato wedges that good anywhere else.
The local stuff is usually best. It's a shame little town places fold up due to the big chains.

makare

I'm having a food problem right now. For my friends birthday all my friends want to go to this place called the Silk Road that has a lot of the more authentic asian food.

I HATE THAT PLACE. Blech. Last time I was there I got this spring roll thing that had cucumber and sprouts and mint in it. It was godawful. I couldn't even eat it. I had to open it and pick out the cucumber. But for some reason I really want to eat that spring roll again. I hated it yet I want to eat it.

Chicken McNuggets are so much easier to deal with. Emotionally.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Local burger place has a challenge: 3-lb burger, 1-lb of fries. The burger would be no issue. The fries... *shakes head*

LittleSin

LittleSin

My uncle owns a restaurant and right now he as a challenge on the go that if you eat his four pound burger you get the meal free plus twenty bucks.

I'm eagerly awaiting stories.

makare

Oh man I saw someone try to eat one of those challenge plates once. I couldn't even finish my dinner. Gah

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

My uncle owns a restaurant and right now he as a challenge on the go that if you eat his four pound burger you get the meal free plus twenty bucks.

I'm eagerly awaiting stories.
Where is this... I will kill your puny burger.

Jay

Jay

sodiumcentral.JPG

Woohoo low in sugar!

On a very generous 2k cal diet a single one of these things (and they are REAL SMALL and leave you hungry and thirsty) this is what it takes from you. Almost 1500mg sodium, jesus christ folks. 40g of fat...

makare

I read that in Ahnold's accent.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Hop a plane to Newfoundland Officer. :p Bring the kid so my boy and your girl can become best friends!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Then when they grow up, they'll get married and make little "Cthulhu Cop" grandkids.

makare

They may be unhealthy but those chicken sandwiches are not small. I can't even eat a whole one.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

The first official Halforum couple!

Vagabond

Vagabond

At first glance of those nutrition facts, I was shocked to learn that the chicken sandwich was made out of fish.

Krisken

Krisken

You can never have too much fish in your chicken sandwich.

Cajungal

Cajungal

The sodium content is pretty insane. I don't bother getting a soda with a burger or a chicken sandwich. All I want is water.

makare

Chicken it's the fish of the land.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Chicken of the sea, or by the sea?...

figmentPez

figmentPez

The sodium content is pretty insane. I don't bother getting a soda with a burger or a chicken sandwich. All I want is water.
SALT!!!! It was so cool and so exciting! Jolie played the character quite well.
I couldn't help but connect these two posts from different threads.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Bleh, salt. :(

YAY SALT! :D

Nice catch... I didn't even think of it, heheh.

Krisken

Krisken

Well played, Mr. Pez!

Jay

Jay

Krisken

Krisken

No one is complaining about weight. Get off your high horse already.

makare

Cajungal

Cajungal

Ya know I read an article when I was a kid that said they rub down prop food for commercials with Vaseline before taking pictures or filming.

Krisken

Krisken

They put glue in cereal because milk gets gross under the lights.

makare

It's advertising. That stuff doesn't really bother me.

Jay

Jay

Ya know I read an article when I was a kid that said they rub down prop food for commercials with Vaseline before taking pictures or filming.
Interesting you brought that up... here's a video.

makare

Don't they also wax apples?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Turkeys are raw in the middle, with the skin put under a heat gun, then brushed with food coloring.

If the ice cream isn't the product being sold (say, the product shot for a box of cones), then they substitute colored shortening instead.

drifter

drifter

I believe all apples have food-grade wax applied in order to extend freshness. Also, apples have a waxy cover by nature.

Adam

Adammon

The first official Halforum couple!
I thought we already had GasBandit and Invader Zim?

makare

I was a guest at their wedding.

Adam

Adammon

Oh, and FYI: The Double Down only has 540 calories, so it's the 'healthiest' of the other chicken sandwiches posted so far.
Added at: 05:44
I was a guest at their wedding.
Bridesmaid or groomsman?

makare

photographer.... >.>

Adam

Adammon

Terrifying :eek:

makare

and I never got paid.. cheap bastards. Well that is to be expected

Adam

Adammon

On a happier note, two of my good friends are getting married. To each other. And they're each getting a bridesmaid because they couldn't figure out which one was going to be the bride or the groom. Looking forward to good times.

Krisken

Krisken

Nice! Congrats to the two lucky ladies!

Adam

Adammon

Gentlemen

drifter

drifter

Gentlemen
I was totally hoping your response would be something along that line.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

You're not, it's a family pack. Which my old room mates and I would each buy 1 of a piece.

Also, not to champion the Big Mary sandwich anymore but it's the healthiest chicken sandwich in this thread thus far.

Mary Browns - Big Mary - Chicken Burger
  1. [*]Servings: 1 sandwich

Calories
Sodium
665 mg
Total Fat
17 g
Potassium
0 mg
Saturated
2 g
Total Carbs
33 g
Polyunsaturated
2 g
Dietary Fiber
0 g
Monounsaturated
9 g
Sugars
3 g
Trans
0 g
Protein
28 g
Cholesterol
101 mg
Vitamin A
4%
Calcium
22%
Vitamin C
4%
Iron
2%

Mathias

Mathias

Interesting you brought that up... here's a video.

You...you gonna eat that?

Krisken

Krisken

Gentlemen
Well, congrats to them then!

I had to assume with the bridesmaid comment.

LittleSin

LittleSin

You're not, it's a family pack. Which my old room mates and I would each buy 1 of a piece.

Also, not to champion the Big Mary sandwich anymore but it's the healthiest chicken sandwich in this thread thus far.

Mary Browns - Big Mary - Chicken Burger
2%
You're in Alberta, aren't you? :p

Chibibar

Late in the conversation: I tried it. It is horrible. I do like McD chicken sandwich or even BK spicy version (also a dollar) better.
It is SO not worth 3.49$ (even buy one get one free)

linglingface

linglingface

I was about to come in here and defend the sandwich, because I used to love them. Then I read your post and remembered why I stopped eating them. The quality went downhill, and my tastes improved as I started eating more real food. I remember the last time I had one, thinking "this is not what these things used to taste like!", and that was years ago. I can only imagine what's been done to them since.
Ditto. I used to LOVE them, but the last 2 or 3 I've had were not how I remembered them tasting. I haven't had one for about 6 months now... :-/

figmentPez

figmentPez

In further "fast food is terrible" news:
Lawsuit alleges Taco Bell is serving "filler", not enough meat to be seasoned beef.
A class-action lawsuit filed by an Alabama law firm alleges that only 36 percent of the substance Taco Bell markets as “seasoned beef” or “seasoned ground beef” actually contains meat. The rest of the “filling,” according to the complaint, is made up of “substances other than beef.”
While I'm not surprised that there is a lot of thickener added as part of the seasoning in Taco Bell's beef, I'm surprised at the 36% number. I wouldn't have guessed that, but I guess it doesn't seem too low to be real. A little over one-third beef, one-third water and the rest being thickener, spices, salt and preservatives. Probably not as nasty as what they put in public school lunches.

It should be interesting to see where this lawsuit goes.

strawman

strawman

Hey, that means it's 66% vegetarian!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Always look on the bright side of life...

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

*whistles*

Fun Size

Fun Size

Wait. The secret ingredient in the beef is... beef?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I need to find the percent amount of sand in the "meatlike" product.