The end of IE is at hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Praise and jubilations, the monster is dead: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8524019.stm

Millions of European Internet Explorer (IE) users will have the option to choose an alternative browser from 1 March, Microsoft has announced.
It follows a legal agreement between Microsoft and Europe's Competition Commission in December 2009.
Microsoft committed to letting Windows PC users across Europe install the web browser of their choice, rather than having Microsoft IE as a default.
Figures suggest that over half the world's internet users have IE.
Testing for the update is already underway in the UK, Belgium and France.
The software update choice will arrive automatically for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 customers, according to a blog post by Dave Heiner, Microsoft's vice president and deputy general counsel.
The blog also contains screen grabs of the message as it will appear.
\"Users who get the choice screen will be free to choose any browser or stick with the browser they have, as they prefer,\" wrote Mr Heiner.
Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera are the alternative browsers that people will be offered.
\"Millions of people who have never really thought about which browser to use will now be forced to make a choice,\" said BBC technology correspondent Rory Cellan-Jones on his blog.
\"That presents Microsoft's rivals with a unique marketing opportunity.\"
Mozilla Foundation chair Mitchell Baker described the news as \"an important milestone towards helping people take control of their online lives.\"

Well in Europe anyway.

I don't know what apple does now, but does that mean they have to have the same choices?
Probably not since the amount of sales difference is rather huge. It's hard to have a monopoly when you only have less than 10% of the market.

W

wana10

this is such massive bullshit...microsoft should have gone with their first idea and just shipped without any web browser at all.

K

Kitty Sinatra

And does this mean that Linux distros have to offer a choice, too?

I've never quite understood why this was ever an issue. I mean Microsoft could have just incorporated web page viewing as an intrinsic part of Windows Explorer - as just another function of the OS itself - and it'd be just another feature of what you were purchasing.

Will they now have to offer a choice for the firewalls, the archiving, CD burning and the whole host of other functions the OS has that 3rd party companies also produce software for. MS Paint, textpad, wordpad, solitaire. The list is long. What's so different about a browser?

I never got the fuzz about this. Look at Firefox, it managed to gather quite a bit of the market before this new rule was even thought of. Make a decent enough program and people will eventually switch.

Aside from this whole thing being silly, the only thing this will change is that Windows won't have the IE.exe link on your start menu. I'm quite sure the actual process is so weaved into the OS that it'll in fact still be there in one form or another.

figmentPez

Staff member
Will they now have to offer a choice for the firewalls, the archiving, CD burning and the whole host of other functions the OS has that 3rd party companies also produce software for. MS Paint, textpad, wordpad, solitaire. The list is long. What's so different about a browser?
None of the other programs you've listed have sought to force the industry to adopt Microsoft's standards. It's not just that IE was common, it was that IE didn't comply to standards, and sites that look right on IE can look very very wrong on other browsers. Not only that but many banking and other secure sites required Internet Explorer to use, leaving Linux (and sometimes even Mac) without a way to access those sites. Microsoft was using this to their advantage, trying to force people to use Windows because IE on Windows was, and still is sometimes, the only way to access certain web pages.

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

I never got the fuzz about this. Look at Firefox, it managed to gather quite a bit of the market before this new rule was even thought of. Make a decent enough program and people will eventually switch.
Actually not. Firefox had very low market share when the first unbundling laws were forced on Microsoft. This is just the latest of many restrictions that Europe has placed on Microsoft, dating back to early in the life of Windows XP. These laws have been in the works for a long time, since just after the IE/Netscape wars were mucking up the web with incompatible standards.

The net savvy would know about Firefox and know how to choose between browsers, but other people might not. I'm sure many of us have helped friends or relatives with computer problems before, the people who click on banner ads telling them they might have a virus and install whatever it tells them to. They use IE because it's there, and it works for them. There are a lot of these people.

Necronic

Staff member
I don't like it when people are protected from themselves. Its not like firefox is that unknown. The only argument I can see for doing this is that by distributing the market share more it will make hackers lives more difficult as they won't be able to hit 90% of the market by focusing on one system. Ironically this will also probably make our browsing experience on Chrome/FF/Opera less safe as well, but c'est la vie.

The net savvy would know about Firefox and know how to choose between browsers, but other people might not.
Or they might be stubborn, lazy summabitches who use IE out of inertia even if you installed FF on their laptops...

this is such massive bullshit...microsoft should have gone with their first idea and just shipped without any web browser at all.
I've never quite understood why this was ever an issue. I mean Microsoft could have just incorporated web page viewing as an intrinsic part of Windows Explorer - as just another function of the OS itself - and it'd be just another feature of what you were purchasing.
Go into any non-ie window and type a url in it... see what happens.

I didn't realize it was 1996 over in Europe.

but hey, Microsoft can't include their security essentials pack (which works quite well) because that would be a monopolistic practice designed to put antivirus and spyware removal companies out of business.

W

wana10

Go into any non-ie window and type a url in it... see what happens.
in older windows it would become a ie window and browse to that url, in win7 it opens your default browser and goes to that url. probably because of this sort of mess microsoft has put some layers between explorer and internet-explorer.

but hey, Microsoft can't include their security essentials pack (which works quite well) because that would be a monopolistic practice designed to put antivirus and spyware removal companies out of business.
If you'd bothered reading the OP you would see that instead of removing it they made it so you're given a choice between then instead of removing anything... which is why we're better then you yanks. :p

figmentPez

Staff member
The net savvy would know about Firefox and know how to choose between browsers, but other people might not. I'm sure many of us have helped friends or relatives with computer problems before, the people who click on banner ads telling them they might have a virus and install whatever it tells them to. They use IE because it's there, and it works for them. There are a lot of these people.
And if the net savvy can't choose because the internet only works with Internet Explorer? As little as 4 or 5 years ago that was a major problem. My bank still only allowed IE for online transactions. My college only supported IE for online classes and tests. Many government sites only supported IE for many feature. Including the websites FEMA used for victims of Hurricane Katrina to register for aid. Computers running Windows had configuration problems, and those had to be worked out before they could be used. Bootable Linux CDs made the computers work, but the website didn't allow any non-IE browsers.

Without the threat of Europe completely banning the sale of Windows (this legislation is not the first forced on Microsoft) it's hard to say if changes to browser compatibility would have happened.

Considering that Phoenix (later Firebird, later Firefox) didn't even enter public testing until 2002, and IE wasn't even integrated into Windows until XP in 2001, I'm a little confused why you chose 1996 as a year for your attempted humor. 1996 was before the effective death of Netscape as a browser, and the impending reign of IE as a dominant force in restrictive standards.

I don't like it when people are protected from themselves. Its not like firefox is that unknown. The only argument I can see for doing this is that by distributing the market share more it will make hackers lives more difficult as they won't be able to hit 90% of the market by focusing on one system. Ironically this will also probably make our browsing experience on Chrome/FF/Opera less safe as well, but c'est la vie.
I think the argument that Microsoft shouldn't control the web is pretty compelling. Thankfully change has happened, and it's a rare site that only works in IE, but I don't think Microsoft should be able to work, unrestricted, towards a goal of having major websites only work with the Windows version of IE.

I think they have been working on this since 1996. Nothing like a dozen national gov'ts and one of the largest companies in the world to get something done fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.