[Webcomic] The Last Starslip

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm somewhat surprised no one has noted that Straub is planning on ending Starslip within a month or so's time.

He's got a rather interesting plot twist right now: waking up in the distant past, next to... Jovia?

North_Ranger

Staff member
Honestly Starslip's kinda lost me over the past couple years.
In all honesty... I felt the same way when they did the Big Slip. Before it had been a uniquely quirky sci-fi comic with a number of things going for it and keeping it fresh and interesting. After the Slip it just felt like Just Another Sci-Fi Comic #1,709. I can understand Straub wanting to draw in new readers by making the plot more streamlined, but still for a long-time reader like yours truly it felt like he had given the most interesting plots and funniest quirks of his strip the Old Yeller treatment.

In all honesty... I felt the same way when they did the Big Slip. Before it had been a uniquely quirky sci-fi comic with a number of things going for it and keeping it fresh and interesting. After the Slip it just felt like Just Another Sci-Fi Comic #1,709. I can understand Straub wanting to draw in new readers by making the plot more streamlined, but still for a long-time reader like yours truly it felt like he had given the most interesting plots and funniest quirks of his strip the Old Yeller treatment.
Exactly!

North_Ranger

Staff member
This thread? First I knew that the series was ending.

--Patrick
Not quite for me. But it was Halforums that informed me of the fact.

A shame, really... I always kept hoping Straub would get back to the comic's roots, but I guess going from "quirky and original even if you have to start by reading the archives" to "run of the mill space opera" didn't pan out in the long run.

I miss the old Starslip Crisis...

S

Soliloquy

"WEAR IT LIKE A HAAAAAAAT!" is still the funniest moment in webcomics history, in my opinion.

But yeah... my opinion of Starslip went downhill after the big slip as well. It's been better recently though.

That was an amazing climax. I wish he would have retired the strip after that arc, even the "Starslip Classic" arcs that came after it never really recaptured the magic in my opinion.

Uh, this might sound a bit weird, but I'm actually liking how Kris is bringing this together. Yeah, the plots seem strangely contrived, but then again that's been the theme of the whole webcomic.

I always felt that Starslip was the kind of comic I would love, but for whatever reason, I just never got into it. Shame to see it go, but it's inevitable for most comics (web and newspaper).

S

Soliloquy

I'm actually really curious as to where the strip's going to go from here, and how much longer the strip will go on.

Also, I've been waiting for Vanderbeam to start time travelling ever since he got his hands on a (later stolen) timesuit before the big slip.

Yeah, but I think he left it that way so that, if he wanted to, he could go back and revisit what happens next. Heck, that could be his plans for the book he's got coming out in August.

Saw Jerry's post on PA. Does anyone remember it being Starshift Crisis? I could've sworn I started reading it right after Checkerboard Nightmare ended and seeing it as Starslip Crisis already.

Status
Not open for further replies.