[TV] The Office ends tonight, and that deserves its own thread since it changed TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never got into the Office, but they did pioneer the "documentary that's really a sitcom".

It is important to note that all the credit for this goes to Ricky Gervais.

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, it ripped off the British version. But once they stopped trying to be the American version of the British comedy, it really started to shine.

The Office, in general, is responsible for Parks and Rec, Modern Family, and any other reality show as sitcom show.

It doesn't matter if you're talking about the British or American version. The point is that it created a new genre of sitcom.

Also, to talk about the actual last episode, it was pretty amazing and I recommend watching it. You can probably follow along and not get lost even if you skipped since Steve Carrel left.

fade

Staff member
I don't get the "oh haha it's funny... because he did something embarrassing, not because he made an actual joke" brand of humor. How is that funny?

I think Trailer Park Boys pre-dates either version of the Office.

And I'm not bothering to verify that.

Trailer Park Boys specials and pre season one stuff came out in 1998 I believe, and the season one series came out in 2001 IIRC from readingthe wiki a few days ago.

I'm totally gonna have to catch up on the Office now that it's Donesies. I stopped watching it in season 6 after breaking up with a girl who used to watch it with me.

Trailer Park Boys specials and pre season one stuff came out in 1998 I believe, and the season one series came out in 2001 IIRC from readingthe wiki a few days ago.
It's hard to call. The office first aired on the BBC in 2001, and Trailer Park Boys, the TV series aired about a year later. However, it can be argued that the TV series is based off a movie of the same name. However, movie Mocumentaries have been around for about as long as there's been satirical movies, so it would depend on if you would count the movie or the series as the genesis of the genre.

If it's the series, The Office aired earlier. If it's the movie, Trailer Park Boys was released earlier.

The main difference I'd point out, though is that Trailer Park Boys doesn't really fall into the same category. In Trailer Park Boys, it's an actual Mockumentary, with the cameramen actually being characters, rather than just a proxy for the audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.