Export thread

The Order of the Stick thread

Limit: 500

Piotyr

Piotyr

I figure there should probably just be a thread to the whole comic rather than a new thread for each individual update.

And there's a new update, too!
#687: Actually, That's Probably You

@Li3n

@Li3n

i have a suspicion that someone will just make a new thread if this one falls off the 1st page... but good idea...

RealBigNuke

I think this strip was a nice insight into video game good and evil.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Well, I do remember getting some nice prezzies when I went all genocidal on some ogres...

JONJONAUG

That is some EXPENSIVE gas.

Hylian

Hylian

:19:

Kitty Sinatra

That is some EXPENSIVE water.
FTFY.

Shawn

Shawn

FTFY.[/QUOTE]
What would constitute "Supreme" water anyway?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

"A lake of gold in the desert sand is less than a cool fresh spring..."

I love that song.

Kitty Sinatra

FTFY.[/QUOTE]
What would constitute "Supreme" water anyway?[/QUOTE]
It's been enhanced with Whisky.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Has two patties

chakz

That is some EXPENSIVE gas.
Temporary + 3 movement bonus?

@Li3n

@Li3n

I think this strip was a nice insight into [STRIKE]video game[/STRIKE] society's view on good and evil.
there you go

Piotyr

Piotyr

@Li3n

@Li3n

Who needs maker hooks when you have Belkar:

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I told you we'd see them ride the Maker!

You owe me an internet :p

Hylian

Hylian

I told you we'd see them ride the Maker!

You owe me an internet :p

Chibibar

heheh... I pre-order already and waiting :)

funny stuff. I love Belkar.

Piotyr

Piotyr

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

HI-OH!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

good title

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

They know about Chrisopher Walken?

Hm, have they broken "celebrity world character" like that before?

Soliloquy

They know about Chrisopher Walken?

Hm, have they broken "celebrity world character" like that before?
I know they've broken character/the fourth wall plenty of other ways, but I think this is a first for celebrity name-dropping.

Kitty Sinatra

So the worm's an illusion?

RealBigNuke

Besides Gygax, obviously.

Goes off to watch 'Weapon of Choice' video again.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

We got us a new one, people!

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0693.html

Posted here as well as so as not to make Piotyr cry. Bloody, bloody tears...

Piotyr

Piotyr

Tears of joy!

Chibibar

Tears of joy![/QUOTE]

error.. I reread the comic.. gate was never said.

it was "Girard..."

Piotyr

Piotyr

Tears of joy![/QUOTE]

error.. I reread the comic.. gate was never said.

it was "Girard..."[/QUOTE]

Official word:
\"Rich Burlew in the OOTS boards\" said:
Stupid last minute dialogue re-writes...

I guess Roy must have said, \"Where is this stupid Gate?!?\" to himself in frustration in the panel before this comic started.

Chibibar

yay for RetCon! ;)

Gusto

Gusto

I expect a joke in the next strip wherein Roy explains to Elan that he said Gate off panel.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

I guffawed heartily at "Elanasaurus Rex"

LordRendar

LordRendar

Dave

Dave

Ouch! That's gotta hurt!

Math242

Math242

oooooooooooh zing

Hylian

Hylian

well that would definitely put a dent in your plans

Piotyr

Piotyr

That deserves an official tip of the hat from me, as I didn't see that coming at all, and in hindsight appears so obvious.

Soliloquy

I love Rich Burlew. A clever writer, he is.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

At this point in the adventure, all the players would groan and throw down their mechanical pencils. Then they would start building dice towers as you read the remaining boxed text.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

So, what the odds of this being a lie, and they being in the gate actual spot?

edit: Also, wow, the old Soon group must really hate eachother by that point.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

So, what the odds of this being a lie, and they being in the gate actual spot?

edit: Also, wow, the old Soon group must really hate eachother by that point.
Pretty much, yeah...

@Li3n

@Li3n

I'm pretty sure they all just hated Soon... which might mean Xykon actually knows the right place to look for the gate.

Hylian

Hylian

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

I am starting to think that Miko and Soon are related, they sure share the "hated by everyone gene".

Dave

Dave

Holy shit! What happened to Haley & Elan? (But I did love how Roy fell on the monster sand castle...)

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Man, Girard likes dwarves.

Chibibar

I am starting to think that Miko and Soon are related, they sure share the "hated by everyone gene".[/QUOTE]

Nah.. it is standard issue stick for all paladin ;)

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Holy crap...

Girard's a real asshole. Even for a mage. Or sorcerer.

Iaculus

Holy crap...

Bard. Good thing we have Elan around to compensate.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Holy crap...

Bard. Good thing we have Elan around to compensate.[/QUOTE]

A bard, you say? Huh... I thought his moniker "illusionist and tracker" implied a primary spell-caster with those two levels of ranger.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Holy crap...

Bard. Good thing we have Elan around to compensate.[/QUOTE]

A bard, you say? Huh... I thought his moniker "illusionist and tracker" implied a primary spell-caster with those two levels of ranger.[/QUOTE]

I understood that he was a sorcerer as well, specially because of the "tatoo"... dunno, it sort of looks like a birth mark or something (I wouldn't be surprised if it glew when he cast spells).

Piotyr

Piotyr

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Piotyr

Piotyr

Since top 10 lists for the decade are cropping up everywhere, and OOTS has been around for the greater part of the decade (since 2003!), I figured it fitting to list my top 10 OOTS strips of the decade (online only) (thar be spoilers here, so if you haven't read the comic, READ IT FIRST, ALL THE WAY THROUGH):

10. 273: The Crayons of Time: Doodles on the Sketchpad of Eternity - The reveal of the "Big Picture", and the perfect art style to do it.
9. 331: For the Future - All the oracle's prophecies in one strip, really sets up the whole rest of the story, to this point.
8. 694: Poor Coordination - A recent one, but I love the misdirection, perfect for a master of illusions, and an outcome that makes perfect sense in hindsight, but came totally unexpectedly.
7. 58: First Aid - One of the early strips, back when the rules jokes were prevalent. Something just inherently hilarious about Belkar's comment on beating him with two scrolls at the same time. Plus, Burlew was finally starting to put together a coherent plot structure and the planning was just about to become more visible.
6. 655: With a Critical Eye - Just as Miko was an example of everything a paladin can do wrong, O'Chul is an example of everything done right with a paladin. Why this strip in particular? It shows everything O'Chul is, tough as nails, focused on the big picture, and extremely efficient in doing so.
5. 595: Trial of the Century - Vaarsuvius finally exacts a succinct solution to an annoying problem, despite not knowing who the offender was.
4. 393: Truth - In the decrypted words of Haley, "Woooooo! Kick his ass, Oddly Effective Elan!"
3. 406: A Moment of Truth - My second favorite "Oh shit!" moment of the comic, where Miko finally reaches the point of no return, and an unexpected turn that follows character progression perfectly.
2. 443: The First Step is a Doozy - Great use of the online format for the comic presentation, the best example of a comic that works much better online than in print. Plus, it lampshaded a few tropes with the talisman not breaking and every possible out that could be thought up not working out for Roy.
1. 611: None Left Standing - The point where the Order FINALLY starts getting back on track, with the least likely member kick-starting the action. Also, I love the detail Burlew added of being able to see the 4-5 words of the sending clearly through the mist: "Alive...in danger...with Belkar". Just great. Every time I read this comic the song "I Need a Hero" starts running through my head (even though that's the title of 613...), and it's odd to be in a situation where you're genuinely cheering on a chaotic evil character.

Piotyr

Piotyr

698: Stopping for Direction

Well, at least they're getting out of the desert...probably.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Hee hee hee... Shoes.

Piotyr

Piotyr

I was rolling at the "Oh yeah, he gave me a direct order" bit.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Is the punchline what I think it is???

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

702: One for the History Books

Y'know, while I'm all for rooting for goblins in... well, Goblins, I'm actually hoping that these Redcloak's illusions of grandeur will fall down faster than a Jenga tower balanced on a pin on top of a windy hill.

Chibibar

Y'know, while I'm all for rooting for goblins in... well, Goblins, I'm actually hoping that these Redcloak's illusions of grandeur will fall down faster than a Jenga tower balanced on a pin on top of a windy hill.
well.. we think it is grandeur since he is a goblin, but if the same thing were to happen i.e. a good player take over an evil city and change the city to let the human slaves live as free people, it would have been "ok" in most people book.

I think the other cities are actual recognition.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

well.. we think it is grandeur since he is a goblin, but if the same thing were to happen i.e. a good player take over an evil city and change the city to let the human slaves live as free people, it would have been "ok" in most people book.

I think the other cities are actual recognition.[/QUOTE]

So, most people think it is "ok" when good has victories? is that you are saying?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

If good exists as a discrete force in the universe, then it's considered a good thing.
If good is a discreet force in the universe, then it's hard to say whether or not somebody taking over a city is a good or bad thing.

Soliloquy

Well, the story sure seems to be setting itself up to resolve that way, in my opinion. It looks like Rich is crafting Recloak's character in a way that shows an eventual downfall caused by using evil means to achieve a greater good.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Since top 10 lists for the decade are cropping up everywhere, and OOTS has been around for the greater part of the decade (since 2003!), I figured it fitting to list my top 10 OOTS strips of the decade (online only) (thar be spoilers here, so if you haven't read the comic, READ IT FIRST, ALL THE WAY THROUGH):.
I'm a month late. Whatever.

Nice picks. I would have gone with O'Chul being threatened with the lives of his people to demonstrate what I like about his paladinhood, but that's another good one. Some of them, I wouldn't ever have thought of putting in. Even after reading your reasoning, still wouldn't. The one strip I'm most disappointed in not seeing is Roy telling Miko off after the inn catastrophe.

Iaculus

Since top 10 lists for the decade are cropping up everywhere, and OOTS has been around for the greater part of the decade (since 2003!), I figured it fitting to list my top 10 OOTS strips of the decade (online only) (thar be spoilers here, so if you haven't read the comic, READ IT FIRST, ALL THE WAY THROUGH):.

Nice picks. I would have gone with O'Chul being threatened with the lives of his people to demonstrate what I like about his paladinhood, but that's another good one. Some of them, I wouldn't ever have thought of putting in. Even after reading your reasoning, still wouldn't. The one strip I'm most disappointed in not seeing is Roy telling Miko off after the inn catastrophe.[/QUOTE]

Missed another.

"hi roy! wanna play blocks with me?"

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

What's wrong with guac?

Piotyr

Piotyr

Nice picks. I would have gone with O'Chul being threatened with the lives of his people to demonstrate what I like about his paladinhood, but that's another good one. Some of them, I wouldn't ever have thought of putting in. Even after reading your reasoning, still wouldn't. The one strip I'm most disappointed in not seeing is Roy telling Miko off after the inn catastrophe.[/QUOTE]

Missed another.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there are too many good strips to be satisfied with just ten. Lots of the ones on my list just happened to be ones that just were memorable to me for one reason or another. The Belkar-scroll-ranger joke was really the first one where I was just rolling from the idea, and I happen to think Rich has gotten better as the comic has progressed. But I also didn't want to just put all new ones in, either. Most of the O'Chul strips are gold, and the Eric strip was a great one, too.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Missed another.

[/QUOTE]
That one makes me mist up every time I read it.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

[/SPOILER]
That one makes me mist up every time I read it.[/QUOTE]

You ain't the only one. *sniffles*

Piotyr

Piotyr

New comic is up:#704: Dead Men Give No Speeches

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0704.html

First time we see the Dark One in the online comic.

Kitty Sinatra

Was Juski a guest artist?

Soliloquy

New comic is up:#704: Dead Men Give No Speeches

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0704.html

First time we see the Dark One in the online comic.
You know, I really have to wonder how this story looks to people who haven't read Edge Of Darkness, and know nothing about Right-eye, or the Dark One's plan, or any of that rich background that came from the book.

I mean, panels 5 and 6 in this comic hold a completely different meaning when you know everything that happened, for instance.

General Specific

General Specific

Not to brag, but while I was up at my friend's this weekend, we went to a game store and I found an Order of the Stick board game. I bought it.

Now, I just have to learn how to play it and find some people who would be interested in playing it with me. :)

Baerdog

Baerdog

The OOTS board game is tons of fun. You are a lucky guy to have it in your possession.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

There's one in my friendly neighbourhood gaming store. But I don't have enough local geeky friends who like oots :(

Baerdog

Baerdog

It sounds like you need better friends, NR.

General Specific

General Specific

The OOTS board game is tons of fun. You are a lucky guy to have it in your possession.
Do you have it? I think mine is missing some things. Only had 1 12-sided die, no clear markers that the quick start guide mentioned. Small things that can easily be replaced, but was just wondering if you knew.

I have a couple of friends that might be interested in learning the game, but they have not read the strip. I am trying to fix that, though. :D

Baerdog

Baerdog

Yeah, it sounds like you were missing some pieces. There should have been one blue and one red d12 and one clear marker for each character. I would contact APE Games and see about getting that taken care of.

Edit: And no, I don't personally own it but I have a couple of buddies who do.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

my 9 year old loves the OOTS game (as do i). He's a big fan of all of the puns, which is a sure sign of a future geek

General Specific

General Specific

Yeah, it sounds like you were missing some pieces. There should have been one blue and one red d12 and one clear marker for each character. I would contact APE Games and see about getting that taken care of.

Edit: And no, I don't personally own it but I have a couple of buddies who do.
Emailed them, thanks. :)

Edit: and they will replace the missing pieces for me. :D

Shawn

Shawn

Finally a new page. I think that was 2 weeks with no updates.

Dave

Dave

Yay for updates!!

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

In other news, did anyone besides me get the last book? In the forward Rich talks about how the end of that book is exactly 1/2 way though the current story line! The book ends at strip 672!

This dude is a planning genius.

Hylian

Hylian

I second the "yay!" for updates :)

Iaculus

Anyone else suspect that the excrement is about to be actualised?

Soliloquy

I like the Hydra reference

Shawn

Shawn

Yay for updates!!

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

In other news, did anyone besides me get the last book? In the forward Rich talks about how the end of that book is exactly 1/2 way though the current story line! The book ends at strip 672!

But at his current updating speed that will take...

MindDetective

MindDetective

At a rate of 1 comic per week: about 12 1/3rd years to go.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Any word on his health?

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Any word on his health?
what does he has anyway?

tegid

tegid

He hasn't explained publicly, I think.

Chibibar

Yay for updates!!

But at his current updating speed that will take...[/QUOTE]

Long enough for me to enjoy it :) Yea I love the new book it is awesome.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Chibibar

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Chibibar, I didn't know you were a connoisseur of heavily armoured ballet.

Iaculus

Isn't everyone?

Brings a whole new meaning to the Nutcracker Suite.

Chibibar

Isn't everyone?

Brings a whole new meaning to the Nutcracker Suite.[/QUOTE]

You have to respect the ability to life another person in FULL ARMOR ;)

Dei

Dei

Shawn

Shawn

Elves ARE awesome.

Iaculus

Hrm - can't help but think that the elf wrecking crew might have something decidedly unpleasant in mind. Sure, sure, the victim was a fairly sleazy member of an Always Chaotic Evil species, but an act of calculating sadism like that seems like the sort of thing Burlew would generally use to indicate bad things later on. Leading along an unarmed prisoner for shits and giggles before killing them? Not cool.

Shawn

Shawn

Hrm - can't help but think that the elf wrecking crew might have something decidedly unpleasant in mind. Sure, sure, the victim was a fairly sleazy member of an Always Chaotic Evil species, but an act of calculating sadism like that seems like the sort of thing Burlew would generally use to indicate bad things later on. Leading along an unarmed prisoner for shits and giggles before killing them? Not cool.
He could also be just illustrating a typical player mentality when it comes to D&D. Which is = A member of an evil race is evil. Pure and simple.
I've played characters like that, and definitely see a good number of individuals play the same way. We had a player roll up a Drow once and it was a hassle just trying to convince the Eladrin in our party to accept him. And even then it's likely we had to resort to meta-gaming to give our characters tolerance enough to do that in the first place. The Elves in this case just may be incredibly racist, but understandably so. Burlew has already established that the race is evil by default and that typically only their teenagers become good just to piss off their parents. The Hobgoblin is too much a risk.
It's also possible that Burlew is setting things up so that they do come across an actual good goblin.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

I din't get the 17 types, is that the number of goblinoid subspecies?

Dei

Dei

Think it's elves.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

There are only 17 elf subspecies?

Shawn

Shawn

I think it's refering to goblins. I certainly can't count 17, as the only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Goblins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears, and Barghasts.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

The last line in the comic is "Elves are awesome."

The title of the comic is "That's probably why there are, like, 17 types"

Dei

Dei

The last line in the comic is "Elves are awesome."

The title of the comic is "That's probably why there are, like, 17 types"
^ This

Iaculus

He could also be just illustrating a typical player mentality when it comes to D&D. Which is = A member of an evil race is evil. Pure and simple.
I've played characters like that, and definitely see a good number of individuals play the same way. We had a player roll up a Drow once and it was a hassle just trying to convince the Eladrin in our party to accept him. And even then it's likely we had to resort to meta-gaming to give our characters tolerance enough to do that in the first place. The Elves in this case just may be incredibly racist, but understandably so. Burlew has already established that the race is evil by default and that typically only their teenagers become good just to piss off their parents. The Hobgoblin is too much a risk.
It's also possible that Burlew is setting things up so that they do come across an actual good goblin.[/QUOTE]

Didn't stop the extermination of the black dragons being portrayed as pretty heinously evil, mind.

Gusto

Gusto

Halflings, Dwarves > Elves.

Shawn

Shawn

Hurrah! No strip! And in no time at all even!

Dei

Dei

Wait wait wait, I just thought about it, and wasn't the Linear Guild in that dungeon?

Piotyr

Piotyr

Wait wait wait, I just thought about it, and wasn't the Linear Guild in that dungeon?
No, they escaped a long time ago. 250 strips ago, to be exact.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

And headed for ice cream.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0709.html

New comic is up...
and while not a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming, it's pretty darn close. Except for Lien.

Shawn

Shawn

Hmmm. She took that better than I thought she would.

And ewww...."magic fingers"
*shudder*

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Hmmm. She took that better than I thought she would.

And ewww...."magic fingers"
*shudder*
lien or necrophiliac girl?

Also, for a water-based paladin Lien doesn't seem to like to get wet.

General Specific

General Specific

So no one noticed how they said it'd take "epic magic" to scry on O-Chul and then the MitD does it? "I hope the rain is helping you sleep" cut to O-Chul sleeping in the rain. We knew he was magical before from helping V and O escape, but Epic magic?

Dieb

Dieb

So no one noticed how they said it'd take "epic magic" to scry on O-Chul and then the MitD does it? "I hope the rain is helping you sleep" cut to O-Chul sleeping in the rain. We knew he was magical before from helping V and O escape, but Epic magic?
...how is that scrying? I mean, even if the MitD caused the rain to fall on O-Chul (which we certainly don't know, seems likely it's just a coincidence) it doesn't yeild any information on where O-Chul is, so probably wouldn't run afoul of the cloister spell.

General Specific

General Specific

Ok, well maybe not exactly scrying, but then how did the MitD know O-Chul was sleeping in the rain? Seems too coincidental for a guess. I'm not saying he caused the rain, just that he knew it was raining.

Chibibar

Ok, well maybe not exactly scrying, but then how did the MitD know O-Chul was sleeping in the rain? Seems too coincidental for a guess. I'm not saying he caused the rain, just that he knew it was raining.
well.. technically MiTD is just wishing. "I hope wherever you are, the rain is helping you sleep" it is more of a wish rather than directly scrying. A wish spell works kinda weird (never really truly explain per se) I mean the DM can decide and interpret the wish. ALSO in this case, the gods could grant a wish of a person if they chose to (or technically "force to" via a wish spell) Of course we learn from the books that the gods are above the cloister spell (they are all epic ;) ) heck even Eugene can scry from the heavens (or hell) so who knows. Maybe... just maybe MiTD could be an avatar.

Shawn

Shawn

I'm pretty sure the rain had no magical origin (at least not on the MitD's part). It could be assumed that if it's raining where the MitD is that it's raining wherever O'chul is.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

What Shawnacy said. In an earlier strip (which I will find out next), where O-Chul is still held captive, he mentions how as a boy he always found rain soothing and that it helped him to sleep. In fact, after suffering the acid-shark-and-spikes trial put on by bored Xykon, he takes the rain as a sign from the Twelve Gods saying he did good.

Not to mention this was in the strip where he and the MitD become friends.

Ah, here we go:
+1 BFF

General Specific

General Specific

What Shawnacy said. In an earlier strip (which I will find out next), where O-Chul is still held captive, he mentions how as a boy he always found rain soothing and that it helped him to sleep. In fact, after suffering the acid-shark-and-spikes trial put on by bored Xykon, he takes the rain as a sign from the Twelve Gods saying he did good.

Not to mention this was in the strip where he and the MitD become friends.

Ah, here we go:
+1 BFF
Hmmm, I had forgotten about that. OK, I was wrong, move along people, nothing more to see here. :)

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Dei

Dei

OMG so many OotS updates, I'm so excited!

Dave

Dave

Gynosphinx?

Baerdog

Baerdog

A gynosphinx is a lady sphinx, old man. Androsphinxes are boy ones.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

What's so funny about pocketses?

Piotyr

Piotyr

Hobbit reference.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Hobbit reference.[/QUOTE]

Oh.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Piotyr

Piotyr

712: Neutralize Elf

So, any guesses on the half dragon?

Dei

Dei

Practically speaking, we are almost certainly going to die
Hehe.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Adopted son? Girard's buddy (he looks like he's a blue... blues are desert-dwellers, yes?)?

Piotyr

Piotyr

Adopted son? Girard's buddy (he looks like he's a blue... blues are desert-dwellers, yes?)?[/QUOTE]

I might be reading too much into it, but it looks like the arrow was intended for Elan, not V. So, I doubt this is related to the black dragon destruction. Possibly Girard, possibly Elan/Nale related.

bigcountry23

bigcountry23

Adopted son? Girard's buddy (he looks like he's a blue... blues are desert-dwellers, yes?)?[/QUOTE]

I might be reading too much into it, but it looks like the arrow was intended for Elan, not V. So, I doubt this is related to the black dragon destruction. Possibly Girard, possibly Elan/Nale related.[/QUOTE]

No, if you look at the frame with the arrow mid flight, it would not have struck Elan even if he had been standing.

Shawn

Shawn

Targeting a mage with a strength poison is diabolically efficient.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Also, after re-re-and-a-couple-more-res-reading Don't Split the Party, I don't think this fellow is one of Nale's new recruits. First of all, I don't get that "evil opposite" vibe from his entry, and second of all the IFCC - the three fiends who gave V the ultra-boost - are not only behind the Linear Guild's actions but their entire plan was to get the OotS and Xykon & Pals back at each other's throats while they "move [their] pawns into position". Having one of their pawns engage the enemy while they're busy doing useless shit - like killing buzzes and shopping for cosmetics - seems counterproductive to me.

Totally Not Soliloquy

My thoughts? Who says that's really a half-dragon? We're dealing with an illusionist here.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

My thoughts? Who says that's really a half-dragon? We're dealing with an illusionist here.
idea: I don't think that Rich would do this kind of plot... but can we be sure that everything else isn't a illusion? Wouldn't this be the greatest challenge of a ilusionist? a entire faked world where there is no scape because the prisoners wouldn't even know that they should try to?

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

idea: I don't think that Rich would do this kind of plot... but can we be sure that everything else isn't a illusion? Wouldn't this be the greatest challenge of a ilusionist? a entire faked world where there is no scape because the prisoners wouldn't even know that they should try to?[/QUOTE]

:wtf:

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

idea: I don't think that Rich would do this kind of plot... but can we be sure that everything else isn't a illusion? Wouldn't this be the greatest challenge of a ilusionist? a entire faked world where there is no scape because the prisoners wouldn't even know that they should try to?[/QUOTE]

:wtf:

[/QUOTE]

my work here is done.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

My money's on some kind lizard cult. Or pyramid scheme. I mean, we've already seen the Sisterhood of Aton...

Chibibar

It is possible that the whole area could be illusion to let people THINK they are doing something :) that would be epic level illusion (and highly complex)

Piotyr

Piotyr

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I'm guessing these guys are either throw-away bad guys... or one of the nine sides vying for the control of the Gates. Seems a little too much, if they were just out for slaves. I mean, magical weaponry? Poisons? Scrolls? No mark-up there for sure.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

I'm guessing these guys are either throw-away bad guys... or one of the nine sides vying for the control of the Gates. Seems a little too much, if they were just out for slaves. I mean, magical weaponry? Poisons? Scrolls? No mark-up there for sure.
I am pretty sure them aren't slave traders, it seems weird that they would do that in the middle of the city, specially when aiming mid-level adventures like the order.

Dei

Dei

#715 Wanted

I guess they were aiming at Elan after all.

Soliloquy

Friggin' A. I hate Nale-Related storylines. Of course, I hate mistaken identity storylines in general, so I've got a bit of a bias here.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Friggin' A. I hate Nale-Related storylines. Of course, I hate mistaken identity storylines in general, so I've got a bit of a bias here.
Eh, it's a good way to work the Linear Guild back into the plot without dumping them in all at once, and without yet another nale "plot".

Piotyr

Piotyr

Piotyr

Piotyr

#717: No Incarceration Without Compensation

Mostly a gag strip. I enjoyed the self-riff on the "evil twin" trope.

Piotyr

Piotyr

#718: Spring Break Never Dies

The last panel is hilarious.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Hee hee hee... Indeed.

Hylian

Hylian

:laugh: very nice

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

So... what are the options for mens?

Piotyr

Piotyr

#719: Seat of Power

Well, that wasn't what I was expecting.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Whoa.

Soliloquy

So... what are the options for mens?
Men have to stick with chess, unfortunately.

And, since Bobby Fischer stayed dead, I'd say we're f*cked.

Piotyr

Piotyr

#720: Breakfast of Champions

Once again, Elan can't get out of his own way fast enough.

Dei

Dei

#721 Pain Threshold

<3 the chart.

Wahad

Wahad

Half-dragon (half-)ogre.

That's probably one of the easier hybrids as far as...accomodations, so to speak, are concerned.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Half-dragon (half-)ogre.

That's probably one of the easier hybrids as far as...accomodations, so to speak, are concerned.
That you expressed your thoughts, I applaud.

That you actually thought of such things, I back away slowly.

Wahad

Wahad

/shrug

I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Dave

Dave

You're not.

Dei

Dei

Piotyr

Piotyr

I'm not one to jump to conclusions, but the General looks a little bit like Elan's father.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

I'm not one to jump to conclusions, but the General looks a little bit like Elan's father.
Thanks for saying that.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Dun-dun-DUNNNNNN!!!!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I was worried he might be Nale, but the tackle there... nah, Nale's not that kinda guy.

Piotyr

Piotyr

723: Generally Relative

*pats self on back*

Iaculus

Whoa. Never expected that Elan would have inherited some of his personality from evil-overlord daddy.

Dave

Dave

Where have they shown his father in the past? I've read ALL the books! What did I miss?

Piotyr

Piotyr

Where have they shown his father in the past? I've read ALL the books! What did I miss?
The Semi-Secret Origin of Elan and Nale:

Iaculus

Since Piotyr's link doesn't seem to have worked.

Waaaay back in the beginning.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

But... but... he's Lawful Evil and yet seems so jovial!

*mind explodes*

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

*mind explodes*
He's affably evil

Chibibar

*mind explodes*
Freddy Kruger is evil and always seem Jovial ;)

Hylian

Hylian

Technically the quote is "No. I am your father"

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Dave

Dave

Let's keep the theme going!

Chibibar

Let's keep the theme going!
LOL

Piotyr

Piotyr

That's great.

Dei

Dei

ahahhahaha

Soliloquy

How much you want to bet that Hayley's father has been imprisoned by these guys, and that they regularly depose and change out the figurehead ruler, changing the name in the process, in order to prevent their own downfall, like other nations in the area?

I'm giving even odds.

Shawn

Shawn

How much you want to bet that Hayley's father has been imprisoned by these guys, and that they regularly depose and change out the figurehead ruler, changing the name in the process, in order to prevent their own downfall, like other nations in the area?

I'm giving even odds.
Sounds like something Rich would write. I'm all for this theory.

Soliloquy

In fact, I can't think of any other reason, plot-wise, that this subplot would have reared its head.

Another prediction for the comic: the only members of the order that will be alive at the end of the comic's run are Elan, Haley, and Roy.

I've got two reasons for thinking this. First, there's the things that have already been revealed in the plot (we know for sure Belkar is going to die, the oracle told Durkon that he'll be returning to his hometown "posthumously," and V's got the whole deal-with-the-devil thing that just can't end well) and second, there are only three recurring members of the linear guild -- Nale (elan's opposite), Sabine (haley's opposite), and Thog (Roy's opposite).

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

You know, I actually feel sad for the poor dragon now...

Piotyr

Piotyr

Hylian

Hylian

I wanna ride a triceratops!

Dave

Dave

They are staring. Always staring.

Just don't get caught staring back.

Chibibar

They are staring. Always staring.

Just don't get caught staring back.
Yea......

Piotyr

Piotyr

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Everyone says 3 times fast: Juglers-Clowns jugling Tiny Clown-juglers

Piotyr

Piotyr

#728: The Price of Yummies

And Rich manages to both make Belkar useful and relate it back to what was previously thought to be a throwaway joke.

Shawn

Shawn

Man. Those two lizard folk are going to be lucky to be alive by the end of the next strip.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Dei

Dei

WAIT
Belkar was the smart one?!

Shawn

Shawn

Lawful Good = Lawful Stupid

Shawn

Shawn

If I wish hard enough, maybe he'll update today.

Hylian

Hylian

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

A monk and a soulknife? They're definitely losing this fight.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Wait wait wait... a warlock, a soulknife AND a monk?

Man, that bar's definitely down in the dumps since the clientele is all character class second-stringers.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

All it needs is a truenamer.

Baerdog

Baerdog

I played a soulknife once. I liked it... :pout:

Piotyr

Piotyr

Piotyr

Piotyr

#732: The Papers Chase

And there's Durkon.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

yay for durkon!

did they teleported in the middle of the city or something, I guess that is a problem with skiping few steps in your journey

Hylian

Hylian

Piotyr

Piotyr

Is this the first time Durkon has made a mistake?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Piotyr

Piotyr

#735: Of Clerks and Clerics

The plot thickens...with more Star Wars references.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

What IS it with the oil, anyway?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Piotyr

Piotyr

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....!

LordRendar

LordRendar

Curse you Allen,who links TV tropes! *fistshake*

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Productive time... lost... irrevocably. Must... detach... Must... warn... Ooh, a new link!

Chibibar

Productive time... lost... irrevocably. Must... detach... Must... warn... Ooh, a new link!
look! shiny object!

Papillon

Is it close to a year since they last visited the Oracle?

Soliloquy

Is it close to a year since they last visited the Oracle?[/QUOTE]

Rich said it wasn't a real-time year, though -- just a year in the comic.

tegid

tegid

It couldn't be, considering we know he plans ahead and everything is well though, while due to his illness he can't keep a consistent output rythm of comics.

Papillon

Rich said it wasn't a real-time year, though -- just a year in the comic.[/QUOTE]

I was meaning an in-comic year. I'm pretty sure it's been more than a real-life year.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Rich said it wasn't a real-time year, though -- just a year in the comic.[/QUOTE]

Roy stated they only had to deal with Belkar another seven weeks, and that was just after they resurrected him, and before they sailed for the Western Continent. It would appear time is running short.

Piotyr

Piotyr

#737: Comparative Mythology

A subtle glimpse of what Xykon's been up to.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

#737: Comparative Mythology

A subtle glimpse of what Xykon's been up to.
It appears that Harley isn't the only in the party that knows how to you use her diplomacy

Piotyr

Piotyr

Dave

Dave

Piotyr

Piotyr

Got to be getting close to the in-comic year-end for Belkar, too.

Dave

Dave

Well, he did also do the bullying that was foreshadowed.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Well, he did also do the bullying that was foreshadowed.
Yeah, but I could totally see Rich Burlew pit Roy against Belkar in the games for full dramatic conflict effect (and to make a few Kirk/Spock riffs).

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

But Spock was and would forever be Kirk's friend. Belkar is... well, Belkar.

Piotyr

Piotyr

#742: Monkey Do

Oh, Elan. I love that he gives away his true intention and Tarquin still takes it as a euphemism.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I can't wait for more monkey-scrubbing references ^^

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

#742: Monkey Do

Oh, Elan. I love that he gives away his true intention and Tarquin still takes it as a euphemism.
It is probably a better evidence than a patternity test.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Fixed[/QUOTE]
I had to re-read like six times before I realized what I did wrong. hehe:oops:

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Yeah, it was a pretty subtle play on words.

Dave

Dave

Oh yeah....Belkar's gonna die soon. You can just feel it coming.

Giant In the Playground Games

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Def'nitely, Dave. Def'nitely.

Which is a little sad. I would've thunk Belkar would die like he had lived: standing on a mountain of dead hobgoblins.

Math242

Math242

I'm gonna HATE it when belkar is killed.

one dimensional psycho killer ? sure is. Yet he's still the funniest char of the strip

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

one dimensional psycho killer ? sure is. Yet he's still the funniest char of the strip
Funnier than Xykon?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Funnier than Xykon?[/QUOTE]

Xykon can't mack the ladies like Belkar can. Because... you know... skeleton? No fleshy parts?

Math242

Math242

Belkar > Xykon > Vaarsuvius on a power trip > my dog > ... > elan

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Belkar > Xykon > Vaarsuvius on a power trip > my dog > ... > elan
your dog is in the strip???

Wahad

Wahad

Funnier than Xykon?[/QUOTE]

Xykon can't mack the ladies like Belkar can. Because... you know... skeleton? No fleshy parts?[/QUOTE]

At least you can't say he doesn't have a boner.

Piotyr

Piotyr

#745: It Does Beat Scissors

Also, there are some cool new posters on the main site depicting every currently existing OOTS character.

bigcountry23

bigcountry23

#745: It Does Beat Scissors

Also, there are some cool new posters on the main site depicting every currently existing OOTS character.
Even the Guy with a Halberd?

Looking....

Looking...

No... :(

Dei

Dei

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

drifter

drifter

Ollie the dragon from an old kids show, Kukla, Fran and Ollie.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Hee hee hee... sock puppets.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Hylian

Hylian

Elan...makes...sense?

That sentence does make any sense!

Piotyr

Piotyr

Dave

Dave

Ha!

Got his ass knocked back to Basic!

Attack rank G.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Aw, snap!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I don't get it...

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Not as human ranger you won't.

Dave

Dave

I don't get it...
In D&D Basic demi-Humans (Dwarves, Halflings, Elves...) had level caps, yet they also had abilities that went differently and used letters. Belkar was beaten back to Basic.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Oooooooooooooh...

Eh, 700+ strips, not counting the extras and two prequel books, so there was bound to be one.

Chibibar

I don't get it...
In D&D Basic demi-Humans (Dwarves, Halflings, Elves...) had level caps, yet they also had abilities that went differently and used letters. Belkar was beaten back to Basic.[/QUOTE]

Heh. I giggle at that one. Ahh.... the good old times where Elves, halfings and dwarves were classes.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Dave

Dave

Hylian

Hylian

Yaaaay! A new one is finally up :)

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I really like this new one, albeit I think I read it out of sequence the first time ;)

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Ditto. To be honest, I'm still a little confused on its reading order.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Ditto. To be honest, I'm still a little confused on its reading order.
Look at the top panels. Each frame, left to right, represents the sun at a different point in the sky, indicating the passage of time. So, the things happen chronologically from left to right.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Baerdog

Baerdog

I should get dimmers like that for my house.

Nile

Nile

I like Elan's dad. Hopefully he doesn't get dropped completely once they leave the desert.

@Baerdog: How often do you get to do ominous foreshadowing, though? I wonder if they come in "Dramatic Declaration".

Baerdog

Baerdog

I'm sure the dimmers would come in handy enough for both Ominous Foreshadowing and Dramatic Declarations during DnD sessions alone.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Dun dun DUUUUUUNN!!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Dave

Dave

Bow chika WOW WOW!!

Hylian

Hylian

So many updates all so close together! The world she is coming apart at the seam! Reality as we know it is being ripped asunder!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I'll be in my bunk.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Dave

Dave

Why wouldn't they just say they knew Elan? I'm confused.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Trying not to rock the boat, if I had to guess.

Dave

Dave

Trying not to rock the boat, if I had to guess.
But that doesn't make sense! They'd be free if they said who they were. I understand Belkar wanting to fight but Roy doesn't.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Eh. It made me laugh with some gay jokes, so I'm willing to overlook things.

Dei

Dei

Belkar impersonating Elan at the end made me lol so hard.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Elan's daddy was soooo into Roy bein under him.

Dei

Dei

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Hee hee hee... Cry in the corner.

Dei

Dei

Piotyr

Piotyr

Now I'm curious to see how Elan reacts to that.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

How do you measure a year in a campaign?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

When the DM decides it's been a year

Chibibar

When the DM decides it's been a year
bing-bong!! The DM has the ultimate power. one year will pass when Rich says it will pass (plus people love Belkar too much, he might stretch that year a little longer ;) )

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Piotyr

Piotyr

Elan is savvy enough to know he's a fool, at least.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Part of me wants to see more of Tarquin. But part of me also wants him to get chowed down by the Empress.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Part of me thinks Tarquin is the mastermind behind all the frequent hostile takeovers in the area, keeping things moving often enough so that nobody targets him as a primary threat.

Wahad

Wahad

I love Tarquin. It's like he's got the best of Elan and Nale's characteristics combined with a healthy dose of common sense.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

HOLY CRAP!! o.0

Piotyr

Piotyr

Holy crap, that's Ian Starshine.

EDIT: Also, holy crap, I was right.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Tarquin needs a book.

Piotyr

Piotyr

So...where does Girard tie into all this?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

He'll have read Tarquin's book.

Chibibar

Holy crap, that's Ian Starshine.

EDIT: Also, holy crap, I was right.
wow.... Gotta love Rich...

now we are in a serious pickle now!

Krisken

Krisken

While interesting, there is a hidden joke in there. We have the three Empire names. :D

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Subtle.

Piotyr

Piotyr

While interesting, there is a hidden joke in there. We have the three Empire names. :D
Technically, that was known from this comic. Or maybe just me, because I'm really anal about details.

Krisken

Krisken

I can barely remember things from 10 comics ago, let alone 60!

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

I din't get it.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Blood, sweat, and tears is a phrase that tends to get associated with working really hard. Most famously used in a speech by Winston Churchill:

I would say to the House as I said to those who have joined this government: I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering.

Overflight

...way to ruin the moment, dude.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I love the last 6 panels though. That was a great pay-off for a off-hand remark.

phil

phil

Damn, yo. Shit just got real.

Dave

Dave

Oh shit.

HE LIT PEOPLE ON FIRE JUST TO SPELL OUT A FUCKING NAME!!!

Hylian

Hylian

Oh shit.

That takes some effort but I think Fry still has him beat

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

But those aren't people that are on fire.

Hylian

Hylian

But they are stars and I think that has to count for something

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Only if they served to prove that Fry is a complete monster despite how his affably evil demeanor makes him seem like a nice guy

Chibibar

Oh shit.

He is Chaotic Evil ;) or was it lawful evil? hmmm... maybe Neutral Evil. since he doesn't really care who is ruling.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Oh shit.

He is Chaotic Evil ;) or was it lawful evil? hmmm... maybe Neutral Evil. since he doesn't really care who is ruling.[/QUOTE]

He's quite clearly Lawful Evil.

Dei

Dei

Oh shit.

He is Chaotic Evil ;) or was it lawful evil? hmmm... maybe Neutral Evil. since he doesn't really care who is ruling.[/QUOTE]

He's quite clearly Lawful Evil.[/QUOTE]

Yep, evident by the fact that he didn't just torch random people, he torched runaway slaves.

Baerdog

Baerdog

The same runaway slaves, I would presume, that V and Haley helped to escape.

Piotyr

Piotyr

The same runaway slaves, I would presume, that V and Haley helped to escape.

looks like they were able to rescue 3 more slaves than V anticipated.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Only if they served to prove that Fry is a complete monster despite how his affably evil demeanor makes him seem like a nice guy
I think in the case of Tarquin "affable" not only went out the window, it was beaten, pissed on and given to Shegs with a 'Spank Me' sign hanging on its neck.

Dave

Dave

My latest addition to my Minecraft house...

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

I think in the case of Tarquin "affable" not only went out the window, it was beaten, pissed on and given to Shegs with a 'Spank Me' sign hanging on its neck.[/QUOTE]

No, he's still affable. Crossing the moral event horizon doesn't mean you can't still be polite.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Realizations & Rationalizations

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

You will rue this, Dei

Krisken

Krisken

lol. Exquisite.

Chibibar

lol. Exquisite.
As long they follow procedures.... does this mean they need a TPS report? ;)

Math242

Math242

Elan's going to get his ass handed to him if Haley and V are not around.

I CAN'T WAIT !

Dei

Dei

I don't know about that. If anything, Elan will get his ass handed to him, but will defeat his father in the most dramatic way possible just when he thinks all hope is lost. (Or he'll lose a hand and throw himself off the tower...)

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

I love the DND genetics

CG LE produce a chaotic evil child and a lawful good child.

or am I wrong?
You are wrong, each twin has the aligment of each parent that they are raised with. I guess isn't all that about genetics.

Dei

Dei

I love the DND genetics

CG LE produce a chaotic evil child and a lawful good child.

or am I wrong?
You are wrong, each twin has the aligment of each parent that they are raised with. I guess isn't all that about genetics.[/QUOTE]

Naw, Elan got Lawful from his dad and Good from his mom
Nale got Evil from his dad, but large elaborate plans that make no sense and a need to declare himself (chaotic?) from his mom.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

^ I pretty sure that it was already stated that Elan is CG, and he is a bard, they can't be lawful.

Dei

Dei

Well either way, Nale's faction doesn't match his dad's.

Nile

Nile

Actually, waay back in the beginning, Nale said he was Lawful Evil.

He's just really incompetent at it, apparently...

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Nale finds allies, follows plans, and tends towards discipline. He may not be good at being a villain, but he's definitely lawful evil.

Elan doesn't hold himself to any sort of code and is out to make lives better. He's definitely chaotic good.

Math242

Math242

Tarquin's alignment is Evil Awesome tho

Dei

Dei

OK, I'll grant alignments, I guess it's just big complicated plans come from the mother, and the flair for the dramatic come from the father.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Dave

Dave

PUN FIGHT!!!

Hylian

Hylian

So Elan's father also took a few levels in Dashing Swordsman?

Chibibar

So Elan's father also took a few levels in Dashing Swordsman?
That would make sense. I mean... how many wives did he have?

Dei

Dei

Oh man, amazing!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Wow... so many puns.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Wow... so many puns.
I know, right!?

BEST. COMIC. EVAH!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Piotyr

Piotyr

Chibibar

I love the misunderstood "evil" shtick

Math242

Math242

Tarquin is quickly becoming one of the best chars in Oots and that's saying a lot !

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

I love the misunderstood "evil" shtick
[/QUOTE]

He isn't misunderstood. He is definitely evil.

It's like Miko. She was good and an antagonist. Tarquin is evil and on the side of the protagonists.

Wahad

Wahad

Tarquin is my new favorite villain.

kaykordeath

Plotting Something

They're going to move on from Tarquin very soon and he will be sorely missed....

Dei

Dei

Oh man, Elan's dad is so awesome. I don't want to move on. Nooooooooooooo.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

I'd like to reiterate that Tarquin is a magnificent bastard

MindDetective

MindDetective

That update was awesome!

Hylian

Hylian

That update was awesome!

so very much this!

Chibibar

That update was awesome!

so very much this![/QUOTE]

Tarquin DOES have a point :) god, I love the guy.

Wahad

Wahad

Poor Elan. He wants to love his father so much but Tarquin dashed all hopes of that, even after raising them up on a big (slave-supported) pedestal.

I don't think anybody in the audience minds, though, except the rabid Elan fans.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Man, I wish Rich Burlew was MY DM....

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

I think I am going to have a new favorite villain.

Math242

Math242

Poor Elan. He wants to love his father so much but Tarquin dashed all hopes of that, even after raising them up on a big (slave-supported) pedestal.

I don't think anybody in the audience minds, though, except the rabid Elan fans.

Elan has fans?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Elan has fans?[/QUOTE]

:noidea:

Wahad

Wahad

I would imagine he does. Being part of the main cast, and OOTS' audience being as it is, I would be more surprised if he doesn't - especially since becoming a Dashing Swordsman.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I always liked Elan. There, I said it. I also like his evil dad, though.

Hylian

Hylian

I admit I like Elan.

That doesn't mean he is my favorite character and it certainly doesn't mean I don't like Tarquin or the rest of the evilly awesome characters

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I certainly like Elan as well, mostly because I always root for the well-meaning dunces - especially if they prove they can hold out on their own despite their duncehood.

And the latest update? My jaw dented the floor as it fell.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I just finished reading through the OotS archives, and crap-in-a-hat this comic is awesome. I really should have started reading it back when this thread started.

I love the variety in the characters, there are so many types of heroes and villains.

Dave

Dave

I just finished reading through the OotS archives, and crap-in-a-hat this comic is awesome. I really should have started reading it back when this thread started.

I love the variety in the characters, there are so many types of heroes and villains.
Now you see why the books as a prize was such a popular thing.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Now the trick will involve being patient enough to not think the story is moving along too slowly when you can't read 50 new comics a day. :)

Math242

Math242

oh yeah you will suffer just like the rest of us with the sometimes hectic update schedule and sometimes slow as hell

Chibibar

I love the references :)

Star Wars (losing a hand)
Avatar: The Last Airbender (the burn scar is Zuko)
I forgot which reference is losing an eye

figmentPez

figmentPez

Now the trick will involve being patient enough to not think the story is moving along too slowly when you can't read 50 new comics a day. :)
I'm a Megatokyo fan, I think I can handle it.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

What is a megatokyo?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Megatokyo is still around and people still read it?

What?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Megatokyo is still around and people still read it?

What?
It's only like 2-3 pages a month, mainly because Fred is such a perfectionist and because all the weeaboos are willing to wait.

drifter

drifter

Damn, I forgot all about Megatokyo. Anything actually happen in that comic in the last couple years?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Damn, I forgot all about Megatokyo. Anything actually happen in that comic in the last couple years?
Uh, I'm not sure. Pages take so long to come out, I'm kinda fuzzy on the current state of the plot. Reading through the latest book, though, was very different. It comes together very well when you can read a whole chapter at a time.

The future doesn't look very bright, though. The recent news is that Fred's wife Sarah has non-Hodgkins lymphoma, a type of cancer. Not an easy thing to deal with, my late sister had lymphoma. I'm still looking forward to Megatokyo Vol 7, if it ever comes out, but I'm hoping Fred will put taking care of Sarah before the comic (and that seems likely, since he's done the same thing for his son and wife so far).

Chibibar

Uh, I'm not sure. Pages take so long to come out, I'm kinda fuzzy on the current state of the plot. Reading through the latest book, though, was very different. It comes together very well when you can read a whole chapter at a time.

The future doesn't look very bright, though. The recent news is that Fred's wife Sarah has non-Hodgkins lymphoma, a type of cancer. Not an easy thing to deal with, my late sister had lymphoma. I'm still looking forward to Megatokyo Vol 7, if it ever comes out, but I'm hoping Fred will put taking care of Sarah before the comic (and that seems likely, since he's done the same thing for his son and wife so far).[/QUOTE]

I'll put into Spoilers so not to clog up
Miho true ID is discover. It seems to cross between Largo's world and Piro's world. Relationship is more of "playing" the character or something. Also Largo has change a lot and got a girl friend. Ping is more anime character and one of the character (forgot the name and too lazy to look up) is a magical girl who is really good at stealing stuff unintentionally)

drifter

drifter

I'll put into Spoilers so not to clog up
Miho true ID is discover. It seems to cross between Largo's world and Piro's world. Relationship is more of "playing" the character or something. Also Largo has change a lot and got a girl friend. Ping is more anime character and one of the character (forgot the name and too lazy to look up) is a magical girl who is really good at stealing stuff unintentionally)

So basically nothing has happened in the last couple years. Good to know.

Piotyr

Piotyr

#764: Small Talk

Once again, stick figures are surprisingly expressive.

Chibibar

Cause Rich is AWESOME!!!

I support his work via buying every single book he publish so far :) (plus it is worth every penny imo)

Hylian

Hylian

I really want to purchase the books but for now I will have to satisfy myself with just reading them online

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Cause Rich is AWESOME!!!

I support his work via buying every single book he publish so far :) (plus it is worth every penny imo)[/QUOTE]

I purchase them as well :) Plus, the extra comics are always so much fun to read, as well as Rich's commentary on various storylines.

Dei

Dei

#765 The Love of Money

Glad to see someone knows how to deal with evil masterminds in this group. ;)

Iaculus

:eyebrows:

Dei

Dei

New OotS shirt for Tarquin fans... Tarquin: Can't make an omelette... White T-Shirt

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That's the power of iconography, my friend. As shown by Scott McLeod in Understanding Comics. :D

Piotyr

Piotyr

Dave

Dave

Tarquin rules so damned hard.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Man, at least somebody is genre savvy.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Respect for Tarquin +459%

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Villain of the decade? Oh, yes.

Dave

Dave

Ouch!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

We currently have a character in our campaign who has around +90 bluff.

We're hoping to use him to defeat one of our largest enemies by delivering an exploding candygram to our enemy's location.

figmentPez

figmentPez

We currently have a character in our campaign who has around +90 bluff.

We're hoping to use him to defeat one of our largest enemies by delivering an exploding candygram to our enemy's location.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Due to 50% miss chance and spell resistance, it didn't work as well as we were hoping. The GM was also actively trying to get this to not work. I guess we were trying to kill his major villain incorrectly. :noidea:

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

+2 Embracers

Awwwwww ^.^

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Crowning Moment of Heartwarming \o/

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Awwww, he's so proud of his little Xanatos of a daughter... ^_^

Piotyr

Piotyr

#770: Hard Time

Well, looks like Ian and Geoff are familiar with Nale.

Piotyr

Piotyr

#771: Also, "Chib" Would Have Been Acceptable

Well, forget that spoiler in the last post, I guess. Ian rivaling Miko in the Jump (conclusions) skill.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Hee hee hee, I'm just loving this ^^ Ian's paranoia has apparently ramped up to eleven or beyond, Elan's completely clueless and Roy jumps in a delivers the best bloody argument I've seen in a while.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

"Make peace with your god."
"I can't! He's in my pocket!"

That made me LOL.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

New comic is up...

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

So... all this side-story was for nothing?

tegid

tegid

Uh... It's probably not finished.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Well, yes, It isn't finished, but I felt that there was more going on than Harley finding her father and leaving him again.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Just to have a link:

#772: Haley's Commitment

If anything, this shows once and for all that Haley's more committed to the Order than her father.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Just to have a link:

#772: Haley's Commitment

If anything, this shows once and for all that Haley's more committed to the Order than her father.
She is more committed with the world salvation than her father.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Personally I was a little sad to see that Ian Starshine had gone from a Crazy Prepared dad to a complete paranoid whack-job. But I guess that happens when you only know him via flashbacks.

I'm certain we'll have more of this; it would be more than a little anti-climactic if Ian was just left there, sitting in jail. And last I checked, Rich don't do no anti-climactic ;)

MindDetective

MindDetective

#774: Telling Lies

That last panel is a bit of a mind-bender. :confused:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

#774: Telling Lies

That last panel is a bit of a mind-bender. :confused:
Basically, the potion only increases her ability to Bluff, but you can't Bluff something that is true. For that you need Persuade or Diplomacy, which she likely has few ranks in. That's why she couldn't get her dad to believe her in the cell when she was telling the truth but he instantly believed her when she lied about being OK with what he'd done.

MindDetective

MindDetective

But she is bluffing about the potion, it looks like.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

But she is bluffing about the potion, it looks like.
She could be holding back something else, like it works on technical truths or something. Who knows?

MindDetective

MindDetective

She could be holding back something else, like it works on technical truths or something. Who knows?
Yup!

figmentPez

figmentPez

I think that everything she says while using the potion gets the orange speech bubbles, not just the lies.

MindDetective

MindDetective

So she drank a new potion off-camera between panels? That doesn't seem like his writing style.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Yeah, Burlew confirms it in the forums that not everything in the orange bubbles is a lie.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Well, that's the conclusion you can draw from that last speech bubble anyway.

Dieb

Dieb

So she drank a new potion off-camera between panels? That doesn't seem like his writing style.
It's been a few panels, so no wonder you forgot, but here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0768.html It's an enchantment, that doesn't work in the AM field, but continues to work as soon as she steps outside it, assuming she doesn't spend so much time in the AM field that it wears off manually, as she said.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Aha, the AM field thing is what got me.

Dei

Dei

#775 Welcome to the Arena

Part of me wonders if this was tacked on just to make fun of the halftime show or if it was planned all along and just incredible timing.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

#775 Welcome to the Arena

Part of me wonders if this was tacked on just to make fun of the halftime show or if it was planned all along and just incredible timing.
Likely the former, I don't think that most writters plan this level of detail early on.

Dave

Dave

Piotyr

Piotyr

Dei

Dei

In fact you should probably shove it someplace safe. And dark.

lol

Jiarn

Reading through his forums, it's surprising how many people feel he hasn't written much of the story ahead of time and is mostly "winging" it week/month to week/month. I can't fathom how they come to those conclusions.

Chibibar

Reading through his forums, it's surprising how many people feel he hasn't written much of the story ahead of time and is mostly "winging" it week/month to week/month. I can't fathom how they come to those conclusions.
general public are idiots?

Piotyr

Piotyr

Jiarn

Nom Nom Nom!

@Li3n

@Li3n

If he is he's even more of a genius...

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Hee hee hee, the lead is in Good hands.

Also, any guesses on how the fight between Belkar and the Obvious Hero Guy is gonna pan out? I'm guessing Rich is not going to just stop parodying gladiator movie clichés, so I think this guy might actually beat Belkar. How the hell that will be done, I have no idea.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

The Duel Everyone's Been Waiting For

Huh... Didn't see that coming.

But I still lol'd :)

Jiarn

Loved it. Want more!

Chibibar

The Duel Everyone's Been Waiting For

Huh... Didn't see that coming.

But I still lol'd :)
Heh. I love it. That was cool!

Hylian

Hylian

That was awesome :rofl:

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Cats vs. Commoners? In my Order of the Stick?

Baerdog

Baerdog

It's more likely than you think.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Surprise! New book!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Chibibar

OO!! I want!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

OOTS 781 - Companions

Perfect. Frickin'. Delivery. First I giggled, then I went 'Awww', then I went 'Grr', then I went 'Oh shit'... and then I fell off my chair laughing.

Chibibar

OOTS 781 - Companions

Perfect. Frickin'. Delivery. First I giggled, then I went 'Awww', then I went 'Grr', then I went 'Oh shit'... and then I fell off my chair laughing.
"I don't mean to alarm the you, General....." I love it!

Dei

Dei

Ooooooooooooooo, Bonus Action!

General Specific

General Specific

Cats vs. Commoners? In my Order of the Stick?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Piotyr

Piotyr

So...odds that the champ is someone we already know?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Well, it can't be anyone of the Linear Guild, 'cause Tarquin hates their guts.

It can't be Hilgya because the fight is against Roy - who would have no qualms of killing her.

Let's see... anyone who we haven't seen in a while...

Okay, I can't think of anyone else but the Monster in the Dark or One-Eye's daughter.

rvdleun

Ach, the new book is surprising. Looking forward to get some new content to read, and to re-order book 1 as well.

Dave

Dave

#783 - Cold Blooded

I actually feel sorry for these guys.

Chibibar

#783 - Cold Blooded

I actually feel sorry for these guys.
me too :(

Piotyr

Piotyr

I never cease to be amazed at how even the minor characters in this story provoke an emotional response.

Hylian

Hylian

While part of me feels bad for them another part of me admires Tarquin even more

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Admires? I can't help but see him as a total monster right now. Yes, affably evil, yada yada yada, but that was just Evil, with a capital frickin' E.

*sniffs* And yes, I do feel bad for those guys, especially Enor. You can just tell his heart is broken by what Gannji asked of him. Before it seemed like Gannji was just using Enor; this strip showed that they are in fact friends, comrades-in-arms. And that makes it even more heartbreaking.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

part of me admires Tarquin even more

Hylian

Hylian

just in the since that he is truly a badass. He knows that for a villain of his caliber it is not enough to imprison ones foe he must also crush there soul. Now I am not saying That I condone his methods but I do respect them.

Piotyr

Piotyr

#784 - Unexpected

Oh, Belkar.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Hee hee hee... So much funny packed in one single strip, it's amazing. The allosaurus! Blackwing! "The people whose names I know"! Strong theropod role model! Ian's last line!

Well done, sir, well done!

Gusto

Gusto

Does anyone else suspect that the Champion might be
Girard or maybe even Serini?

Piotyr

Piotyr

Does anyone else suspect that the Champion might be
Girard or maybe even Serini?
That is my thought, or at least someone related to them. Linear Guild members don't make sense, since the entire nation is looking for them. Don't think any of the Team Evil folks would have been there yet or gotten captured, and all the Tarquin group folks are busy with other nations.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

It's definitely somebody that can give them information on where to go from here. Roy will try to talk to them during the battle about it, the other person will be initially unreceptive until Roy says just the right thing, and this will cue Tarquin to sic something on them.

Cue daring escape.

Hylian

Hylian

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

When did Tarquin turn into Doctor Doom?

Piotyr

Piotyr

I'm just impressed that Burlew came up with a way to get those two out of dying in any way without Tarquin feeling the need to go after them. Well done.

Chibibar

I'm just impressed that Burlew came up with a way to get those two out of dying in any way without Tarquin feeling the need to go after them. Well done.
Rich is da man! that was pretty awesome!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Wow... I've never seen a guy get so happy over a spear next to his face.

Wait, that came out wrong...

Baerdog

Baerdog

NR, tell me about your mother...

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

It is always good when the Villain can see the positive side of things.

Wahad

Wahad

Sometimes, Baer, a spear is just a spear.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Aw. :(

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

But this isn't one of those times, so cheer up.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Yay! :D

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Baer, I am a calm, collected man who is not easily driven to wrath. But there are two things that, once mentioned in a pejorative fashion, will turn this loveable, teddybear-like persona of mine into a raging volcano of death, maimery and cruelty to small animals.

One is saunas.

The other is my mother.

Now, what were you asking again?

Baerdog

Baerdog

Relax, it was a joke.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Good.

Your small animals will sleep soundly tonight.

Emrys

Emrys

Then tell us about your sauna.

Dei

Dei

I lol'ed pretty hard at "taking the biggest dump since Elan assigned his intelligence score".

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Ladies and Gentlemen! Please welcome your reigning, defending, undefeated and undisputed gladitorial champion of the wooooooooooooooooooooooooooorld!

THOG!

Spoilered like a boss!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Thanks for spoiling the surprise.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Yeah, that was pretty lame.

Somebody, please, spoiler that shit, so some people can be pleasantly surprised by the actual strip, linked here: #787: No Time For Losers

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

NO, NOT SCHLIM! SCHLE'S A LOVEABLE CHARACTER!! DON'T KILL SCHLIM!!

Waitaminnit... How in the name of Thor's lederhosen did schle get in there?!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Wahad

Wahad

Is it just me, or does Thog look....unusually serious in that last panel? I have a vague sense of foreboding that shit is about to get down, as they say.