The random pictures of evilmike

There was definitely something important about that puddle. A couple of times, a car drove through that section of the parking lot and the bird would fly, only to circle around and return when the coast was clear.

I'd like to challenge our resident space nerd to photograph the comet. I'll try to stay up a little tonight and view it. It should be visible to the naked eye. But, my damned neighbors have security lights! in the country!

If I knew this comet was coming, I would have purchased an adapter for my old telescope.

I will try. I had been trying to catch it in the morning, but the clouds have been an issue. That's why I ended up with a sunrise picture as a consolation prize.

I imagine end of this week is going to be optimal for viewing.

The fact that you live in a region with a wide variety of different bird-friendly habitats may have something to do with it, too.

--Patrick

The fact that you live in a region with a wide variety of different bird-friendly habitats may have something to do with it, too.

--Patrick
True. Though, I think it also has to do with what birds are common here. White ibis is ubiquitous here. I've probably seen 40 of them this morning and I (mostly) wasn't looking for them. On the other hand, species that are common in other parts of the US, are rarities here. I never see blue birds or goldfinches for example. Heck, the American crow is considered enough of a novelty to make the rare bird alerts.

True. Though, I think it also has to do with what birds are common here. White ibis is ubiquitous here. I've probably seen 40 of them this morning and I (mostly) wasn't looking for them. On the other hand, species that are common in other parts of the US, are rarities here. I never see blue birds or goldfinches for example. Heck, the American crow is considered enough of a novelty to make the rare bird alerts.
Heh. I think I saw that on reddit just a couple days ago, in fact.

1603041705601.jpeg

—Patrick

I'd swear I've see that exact same picture gracing a greeting card/candle/whatever.

--Patrick
I think cardinals and snow are a classic picture combo, especially if you can throw in a few berries.

You'll notice that my example "See? I can take pictures of cardinals too!" picture was obviously not taken anywhere near here.

I had aspirations of a much longer ride and many more birds (and a rocket launch!) today, but the light rain that moved through the area had other ideas. Still, before I had to turn back, I was lucky to find a pair of red shouldered hawks and a limpkin.
red shouldered hawk 2021-01-23-01.jpg

red shouldered hawk 2021-01-23-02.jpg

limpkin 2021-01-23-01.jpg