[MMO] The Secret World goes f2p, and it's good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Secret World has dropped the monthly subscription required to play the game (though the game itself still costs $30) and has adopted the Guild Wars style of payments. All content that is currently available is free and available to anyone that owns the game and wants to play. No restrictions, no limited number of raids per week, no having to make microtransactions for extra action bars or paying to remove your helm. The core game is free, and future content will be released in the form of optional DLC in the same way that DCUO worked.

Those who wish to recieve a bonus can still opt to pay the monthly subscription, and will recieve a discount on all items bought on the item store, as well as an item that grants 1 hour of double xp every 16 hours (which is nice, but doesn't unbalance against free players). Those that purchased a lifetime subscription still continue to benefit from membership status, and get an even bigger discount to the store, while both also get 'bonus points' to use on the store every month.

This was a really fun game, and now that there's no monthly subscription required, I can't see any reason for me not to give it a try again.

So who the fuck is playing this game?
Now that half the City of Heroes fan base is there (and the other half in Champions), I'm considering picking it up. I knew it would go free to play, so I waited. Seems like a smart move now.

Hmm... I'd like to check this out, but with my recent re-addiction to WoW and my continuing addiction to Minecraft, it could be a while before I'm willing to indulge in another game.

This actually looks pretty cool. Because I need another game to play. :mad:
It really is. The Secret World really is unlike any MMO I've ever played in that half the time the focus isn't on killing things but rather solving mysteries. It's not afraid to make you research an answer on the web, ether by looking on the forums or by actually doing research. I really respect it for that.

The Secret World first missions make you fight against Zombies with a shotgun (if you chose one as your weapon), what's not to like?

The Secret World first missions make you fight against Zombies with a shotgun (if you chose one as your weapon), what's not to like?
One of the first missions lets you craft molotovs, landmines, napalm, and an IED to fight wave after wave of undead sea creatures. This is a game that knows what fans of the genre want. You want to fight giant sea monsters in Maine? Go and do it. How about mummies in Egypt? You can. Vampires in Transylvania? Like you wouldn't believe.

The Secret World is what you'd get if you put Buffy, Supernatural, The X-Files, the collected works of H.P. Lovecraft and Steven King, and every Hammer Horror movie ever made in a blender and turned the amazing black goo that resulted into a game.

I have been debating this, I let Minecraft suck me back in because I've been bored, and while that's not a bad thing, I lose track of time way too easily playing that shit. ;)

I'm really loving their current ARG "The End of Days is Coming". Doing the missions gets you a free costume and XP potions, but these are HARD missions if you don't cheat and go to the forums. They give you 4 and 6 hours for missions 2 and 3 respectively and you will need ALL OF IT to do these missions without cheating. It also looks like there is a hidden prize... each mission has a hidden objective that reveals what is really going on. Right now, only the secret objective for #2 is public knowledge.

The ARG is winding down and we're waiting for the last mission. It's been a lot of fun but I'm wondering what all these pieces connect too... personally, I'm thinking it's tying into the unknown Mayan Lords of Night.

Anyway, this ARG basically cemented my desire to buy the game, so I went and got it. It's 22.50 on Steam right now, if your all interested.

I'm going to wait to see if it goes any cheaper during the sale. If not, I'll probably snag it the last day of.

Got this on the 24th. I started playing at around 9pm... didn't stop until 7 am. Yes, it's that good. Already did the first two dungeons... they are both really short (which is good because your not wasting time between boss fights) and have some VERY cool boss fights. The final boss of Polaris is a familiar face that literally had me going "Fuck this. I am NOT fighting THAT."

I'm on Arcadia, but it really doesn't matter where you go unless you like to RP. Their Universe system lets you join teams cross servers, where in you can then temporarily switch to their server to play with them. It's incredibly innovative and I'm surprised no one else thought of it.

Got this on the 24th. I started playing at around 9pm... didn't stop until 7 am. Yes, it's that good. Already did the first two dungeons... they are both really short (which is good because your not wasting time between boss fights) and have some VERY cool boss fights. The final boss of Polaris is a familiar face that literally had me going "Fuck this. I am NOT fighting THAT."

I'm on Arcadia, but it really doesn't matter where you go unless you like to RP. Their Universe system lets you join teams cross servers, where in you can then temporarily switch to their server to play with them. It's incredibly innovative and I'm surprised no one else thought of it.
Way better than crz

I just spent 150 bucks on presents for the girlfriend (stupid december birthdays), so by the time I can justify spending the money the sale will be over anyway. :(
You can justify $150 on her but not $22 on yourself?

Yeah you're doing it right. However, a smart boyfriend will drop huge hints about the game and it's cheap price for her gift to get you ;)

haha, she's not much of an MMO person, not even really a gamer. She plays on her DS once in a while and that's pretty much it. Maybe once we move in together in a few weeks and she can sit with me and learn.

I did convert her to full whovian, though. As in wanting a vinyl minimalist TARDIS on our apartment wall and everything.

The fact that my outfit and my gear are 2 different things is winner.

I also found the big clothing store in London and then all my PAX was gone. /shame

Status
Not open for further replies.