Export thread

The sky* is falling! (*satellite)

strawman

strawman

So this is the first time in a long time that Nasa has dropped an object from the sky in an uncontrolled manner. It's a 6 ton satellite that was launched from shuttle Discovery in 1991.

It's falling orbit is very erratic - due most recently to the solar activity of the last few days, but even now its speed and course are not as predictable as they'd prefer.

You can track it here: http://reentrynews.aero.org/1991063b.html

There's a slim chance it'll fall over the US, and if so it'll make quite a bright shooting star as 90% of it burns up.

Right now it's most likely to enter the atmosphere at 10:15PM EDT, possibly falling up to 5 hours earlier or 5 hours later - which means it's falling sometime in the next 10 hours.

Happy stargazing, and watch out for falling pieces of satellite.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Battlefield Bad Company 2 level. heh.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

strawman

strawman

Looks like it'll come down in the next 45 minutes or so. Probably over the indian ocean or australia.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Someone should make a compilation of every single local news channel in the states' warnings about how you might be in danger. Tonight I heard Spokane and Chicago both play teasers of stories talking about how NASA warns that it could be coming down in their state.

strawman

strawman

Really? That's crazy. Glad I don't watch TV much. It re-entered over the pacific, and some debris is likely to have fallen in Canada.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Last I heard the bugger oughta hit somewhere in northern Italy.

Hopefully it'll land on Berlusconi...

fade

fade

To the photoshop-cave!

ww_satellite.jpg

Jay

Jay

I hope it lands on Casey Anthony.