Export thread

The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

Limit: 500

Adam

Adammon

Some of the major movies have their own deserving thread, but some of the less trumpeted films may fall by the way side. Use this thread to post and discuss Trailers for movies that interest you.

Embeds are preferable but as always, links to outside sources are welcome.

I'll take first shot:

Wrath of the Titans (Sequel to Clash of the Titans) coming to theaters March 30th, 2012.
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/wrathofthetitans/

Adam

Adammon

Hey, how about the upcoming prequel to Aliens called "Prometheus"

http://www.movieweb.com/movie/prometheus/trailer-preview

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Was that... a trailer for a trailer?

And yet it still got me excited.

Adam

Adammon

You should have seen the teaser of the trailer for the trailer.

General Specific

General Specific

I got the soundtrack to the teaser of the trailer for the trailer. It's awesome.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Couldn't be better than the signed lithograph of the concept art from the pre-meeting to form the committee to work out the licensing deal for the action figure based on the animated series.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Speaking of trailers, is there a good way to watch them without having to install Quicktime? That software has always annoyed me with how poorly it functions, and it's bullshit that Apple won't let me even download the trailers without it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Watch them on YouTube?

--Patrick

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

What he said.
Added at: 05:05
Hey, how about the upcoming prequel to Aliens called "Prometheus"
http://www.movieweb.com/movie/prometheus/trailer-preview
I thought this got changed from prequel into a whole new series?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Watch them on YouTube?

--Patrick
Finding the latest trailers on Youtube is almost as big a pain as using Quicktime, and the video has even more artifacts and other signs of poor encoding. I know this is being whiny, but these are ads I want to see. Why should I have to do the work for the advertisers? Seriously, marketing departments, get your act together.

PatrThom

PatrThom

They're worried that if you steal enough trailers in full quality, you can edit them together and "pirate" the film.

Seriously, what is it with studios thinking the entire movie needs to be in the trailer? Leave something for me to go see!

--Patrick

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Finding the latest trailers on Youtube is almost as big a pain as using Quicktime, and the video has even more artifacts and other signs of poor encoding. I know this is being whiny, but these are ads I want to see. Why should I have to do the work for the advertisers? Seriously, marketing departments, get your act together.
I just typed in Prometheus into Youtube. The official trailer was the very first result.
Tried it again with the Dark Knight Rises. First result.
Tried again with Wrath of the Titans. Same. First result.
For Jon Carter I had to type in Jon Carter of Mars (But then it was the first result), so I guess thats the "big pain" you're talking about?
*edit: or I could spell the name of the movie right. "JOHN Carter" with an h. And then its the first result.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Tried it again with the Dark Knight Rises. First result.
You got different results than I did. The first result for me was a sponsored trailer, one from 5 months ago. Second result was something in Spanish. I had to wade through the rest of find the new one.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

What he said.
Added at: 05:05

I thought this got changed from prequel into a whole new series?
It still occurs in the Alien universe.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

You got different results than I did. The first result for me was a sponsored trailer, one from 5 months ago. Second result was something in Spanish. I had to wade through the rest of find the new one.
I just redid the search, and I don't know what to tell you, the one that was result 1 for me last night is no where to be seen. Now I'm starting to see your point.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

evilmike

evilmike

Prometheus

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Screw The Hobbit (well, until after this)...I want to see the hell out of that.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

SoI was looking up Kevin Smith's next film, "Hit Somebody", about a guy who loves hockey, sucks at hockey, but is drafted into a WHA-style league to be a goon, because he IS good at fighting. He's been talking about it for a long time now. I found an interview from last year where he said that Sean William Scott would be playing the lead (He's since said that won't be the case any longer).
Then I found this:

This is why you you should keep your ideas to yourself until they're well underway..

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You made me think The Goon was getting a release date, and it turns out to the hockey shlock.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Hey, its not my fault you didn't read the post or look at the preview image for the trailer. :p

Besides, I was not posting it out of excitement either, looks pretty crap to me. Posting it out of a "holy crap did they ever steal Kevin Smith's idea for the film he wanted to end his career on, and piss on it" factor. Its going to be a lot harder for him to get that movie made now, and I was looking forward to it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Not entirely sure what to make of this trailer.
I mean, I'm not sure whether to love it or loathe it.
It's 75% pure id. I'm so conflicted. Even the trailer is R-rated.

--Patrick

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Hmm, Falling Down, now grittier and darker, and played for laughs.

Espy

Espy

That... that... looks kind of... awesome. Exactly like a crazier Falling Down, which is one of my favorite movies.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Goon will probably be better than Hit Somebody, just from the simple fact that it's not being made by Kevin Smith. He posted a script excerpt on his blog and I had to read it his intro post a couple times to believe it was actually by him and not someone doing a really shitty imitation of his style.

I need to find / post a trailer of "Seeking a friend for the end of the world"

Espy

Espy

I watched the trailer for "Seeking" and I honestly can't tell if it's going to be a really good film or a really crappy one. It feels like it could either way.

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

--Patrick
I like it so much I want to marry it, but then I'm old and bitter too.

phil

phil

--Patrick
This kind of reminds me of Super, and I loved Super.

evilmike

evilmike

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter

Soliloquy

...goddamn it. The Bourne trilogy was fine as it was.

And the writing is such obvious hack work. This new character is just like Bourne, only better because that makes it more exciting!!! But we're still calling it a Bourne movie because otherwise no one will see it.

evilmike

evilmike

ParaNorman

Jay

Jay

Prometheus
I love me some Guy Pierce.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Frankenweenie

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Frankenweenie
Happy as I am to see another stop-motion movie, I wish it'd been something else. The short was okay, it didn't need to be expanded into a full movie.

Also, what the fuck happened to that dog? Even if it got hit by a car, it must've exploded to need all that stitching.
Added at: 11:52
ParaNorman
Ah, that's more like it.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

There's actually a few stop motion films planned for the next little bit. Coraline made a big impression on the movie industry. My stop motion animator friends are very happy about that. Most of them kind of hate doing traditional, digital, and CG animation, so they were happy to find they wouldn't be completely screwed for jobs upon graduating.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Ah, I forgot Aardman had a movie coming out this year.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I honestly can't remember what else is in the works, but I think there's another stop-mo film next year (Or maybe the year after) from Lyka.

evilmike

evilmike

Casablanca

Soliloquy

Casablanca
I can't wait for that one. It looks really good.

evilmike

evilmike

I can't wait for that one. It looks really good.
March 21st -- list of theaters

Soliloquy

Wait, really? That's awesome!

Cajungal

Cajungal

:( Man... I can't make it. I love that movie.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I wonder if it will be rated R for smoking.

evilmike

evilmike

Dark Shadows

Huh.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Dark Shadows

Huh.
I just saw that on that horrible entertainment show that's before 30 Rock that people only watch because 30 Rock is usually after it. Anyone know if it's gonna be good? I really hope it will, it's been a while since Tim Burton's done a real freaking movie.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Feels like Dracula meets Austin Powers. I can't say I'm impressed by the results.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Feels like Dracula meets Austin Powers.
Dammit fool! YOU KNOW THEIR GOING TO PHOTOSHOP THIS! RUN BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE! Honestly I have mixed feelings as well, it's your basic fish out of water story just with vampires.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I don't think my mom will be happy. Dark Shadows was her favorite show of all time (so much so, that I bought her the entire series on DVD over the course of a couple of years...it was like 6 feet of fat DVD cases and 1300 episodes).

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I don't think my mom will be happy. Dark Shadows was her favorite show of all time (so much so, that I bought her the entire series on DVD over the course of a couple of years...it was like 6 feet of fat DVD cases and 1300 episodes).
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaait. THIS IS AN ADAPTATION?! DAMMIT BURTON!

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Yeah man, here in a month you too can own all 131 discs of the original 60's soap opera.

http://www.amazon.ca/Dark-Shadows-C...Z3KY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331913788&sr=8-1

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yeah man, here in a month you too can own all 131 discs of the original 60's soap opera.

http://www.amazon.ca/Dark-Shadows-C...Z3KY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331913788&sr=8-1
Maybe, I get addicted to drama easily(I read webcomics after all).

evilmike

evilmike

The latest trailer for Prometheus

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Dark Shadows

Huh.
That looks like the second most awful thing to happen this year besides Breaking Dawn Part 2.

evilmike

evilmike

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter Trailer 2

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Yeah, Prometheus definitely just shot up the movies I wanna see list.

Woof.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That looks like the second most awful thing to happen this year besides Breaking Dawn Part 2.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let's not say things that can't be taken back.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let's not say things that can't be taken back.
It looks worse than Frankenweenie.

Why is Tim Burton making this crap?

Dave

Dave

Prometheus looks stupid, I'm sorry. But maybe that's because they showed the whole fucking movie in the preview.

And now the Human's ship looks suspiciously like a Firefly class vessel. Interesting.

Pass.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm getting an Event Horizon vibe from those trailers, but I think that's because they have not shown everything.

I won't be seeing it in theaters anyway unless someone decides to give us some movie tickets again or my wife gets a new job before then, but if I could, I'd still give it a shot.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I must confess, Snow White and the Huntsman looks surprisingly good. The problem still remains that Kristin Stewart is in it. Unless the Twilight films have been a case of George Lucas-levels of bad directing of actors, she hasn't really shown the ability for... anything. I agree with one of the Youtube comments directed toward her: "Don't fuck this up."

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yeah, Prometheus definitely just shot up the movies I wanna see list.

Woof.
Oh thank Satan this isn't what I thought it was. I was afraid it was an adaptation of the Alan Moore book. Like the world needs another Watchmen for Vendetta.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Oh thank Satan this isn't what I thought it was. I was afraid it was an adaptation of the Alan Moore book. Like the world needs another Watchmen for Vendetta.
You're thinking of Promethea.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

You're thinking of Promethea.
Oooooooooooh yeah. I was so horrified by the fear that Hollywood was going to desecrate the GENIUS of Moore again that I forgot the name.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

The problem still remains that Kristin Stewart is in it. Unless the Twilight films have been a case of George Lucas-levels of bad directing of actors, she hasn't really shown the ability for... anything. I agree with one of the Youtube comments directed toward her: "Don't fuck this up."
Have you seen Adventureland? She's pretty good in it

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Have you seen Adventureland? She's pretty good in it
I've not. I'll have to check.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

So...anyone know about "Clerks Sell-out"? Been waitin' on that for freakin' years.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

So...anyone know about "Clerks Sell-out"? Been waitin' on that for freakin' years.
Is that the animated Clerks movie that Jason Mewes produced with Steve Stark doing the animation?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Is that the animated Clerks movie that Jason Mewes produced with Steve Stark doing the animation?
Yes. The movie has been in production limbo for freakin YEARS! There is also talk of bringin' back the series.

Dave

Dave

So they are remaking Total Recall. My initial response was: "Really? REALLY?!?"

Just saw the trailer today. Holy fucking shit. You know how the Arnie version was played for yucks and was kinda dumb. This one looks WAY better than the original. Way better. Like fucking light years better.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I've not. I'll have to check.
While I liked this movie, it was despite Kristen Stewart, not because of her. She is EXACTLY the same as she is in the Twilight movies. Same pouty lip bitey bullshit.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Just saw the trailer today. Holy fucking shit. You know how the Arnie version was played for yucks and was kinda dumb. This one looks WAY better than the original. Way better. Like fucking light years better.

Huh. That looks potentially not shitty.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Huh... anyone ever hear of Cobra? Japanese sci-fi cartoon? Has a really similar plot to this. Was made 12 years before it too.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Huh... anyone ever hear of Cobra? Japanese sci-fi cartoon? Has a really similar plot to this. Was made 12 years before it too.
You watch anime from 1954?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

You watch anime from 1954?
The only Japanese thing I know made in that year is green and has spikes on it.

fade

fade

I have to ask what's wrong with Quicktime. I haven't had a single problem with the windows or mac version of it. Years ago, the windows version was questionable, but I haven't had an issue with it in a very long time, certainly haven't haven't had anything function poorly.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Quick-time is a pretty good video file thinamajig. I just wish more sites had those rather than those crappy streaming ones. Sure they can look better but a lot of the time the picture get's all weird for no reason.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I have to ask what's wrong with Quicktime. I haven't had a single problem with the windows or mac version of it. Years ago, the windows version was questionable, but I haven't had an issue with it in a very long time, certainly haven't haven't had anything function poorly.
I finally gave up on Quicktime after getting sick of of it's controls not auto-hiding in full screen. I also hated that it constantly nagged me to install iTunes and Safari.

It's kind of annoying that I can no longer watch trailers on Apple's site because I don't want to use their crappy software, but that's a price I'm willing to pay to be free of Quicktime.

drifter

drifter

The only Japanese thing I know made in that year is green and has spikes on it.
He's referring to the fact that the original Philip K. Dick story was written in 1966.

Norris

Norris

Prometheus looks stupid, I'm sorry. But maybe that's because they showed the whole fucking movie in the preview.
Remember when people said that about The Dark Knight? Remember when they were really, really, really wrong about that? That's why I tend to wait until after the movie's out before making that kind of judgement. Sometimes, advertising people actually good at their job, especially when they have decent material to work with.

Then again, I liked Alien but really didn't like Robin Hood (except for Kevin Durand as Little John. Kevin Durand is the shit) that much. So I'm a little torn on Prometheus, though it should be free of my history-based gripes.

I bristled when people called True Grit a remake. I personally think that, absent attempts to directly copy aspects unique to prior adaptions, you can't call movies True Grit or The Amazing Spider-Man remakes. They're difference adaptation of the same source material, with their own visual styles and emphasis on different aspects of the material. I was planning to rant and rave here about this principle.

Then I remembered that Total Recall departed from its source material quite a bit and this flick seems to be follow the same path, and I felt like a tool.

Soliloquy

I'd be more into the Total Recall remake if they used the awesomely-weird title of the original story: We Can Remember It for You Wholesale

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

He's referring to the fact that the original Philip K. Dick story was written in 1966.
Oooooooooooooooooh. Huh, pretty influencial story I guess.

I might have posted this question before, but when the hell is Godzilla 3-D to the max comin' out? That thing is in all KINDS of production hell I assume.

Frank

Frank

I'd be more into the Total Recall remake if they used the awesomely-weird title of the original story: We Can Remember It for You Wholesale
Philip K Dick is terrible at naming things.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Philip K Dick is terrible at naming things.
He tried to make a serious scienc-fiction book with the title "Do robots dream of electric sheep" didn't he? There is a reason the movie is called Blade-runner.

Norris

Norris

He tried to make a serious scienc-fiction book with the title "Do robots dream of electric sheep" didn't he? There is a reason the movie is called Blade-runner.
It's "androids". It's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep". He also had a completely separate story named "The Blade-Runner". It wasn't so much that he was bad at naming things, its that his stories were far more....introspective? Existential? Trippy? Than the movies that get based on them.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

It's "androids". It's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep". He also had a completely separate story named "The Blade-Runner". It wasn't so much that he was bad at naming things, its that his stories were far more....introspective? Existential? Trippy? Than the movies that get based on them.
Sorry, I was thinkin' of the song from Hitchikers guide. The movies based off his stuff are more straight-forward ain't they?

Norris

Norris

Sorry, I was thinkin' of the song from Hitchikers guide. The movies based off his stuff are more straight-forward ain't they?
Quite a lot. And most of them bear little more than passing resemblance to the story they're based on.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Quite a lot. And most of them bear little more than passing resemblance to the story they're based on.
It's why I've put off watching Blade Runner for so long.

fade

fade

Hey, Dick gave Blade Runner the thumbs up before he died. In fact, he is quoted as saying the creative team strangely saw it almost exactly as he had it in his head.

Covar

Covar

Hey, Dick gave Blade Runner the thumbs up before he died. In fact, he is quoted as saying the creative team strangely saw it almost exactly as he had it in his head.
which version? :trolol:

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

So...watch it? I'm getting mixed messages here.

fade

fade

The movie's definitely very good. A lot of people prefer the Director's cut because it doesn't have the tacked on happy ending and the Harrison Ford "explain everything" voiceover which both existed because the studio was afraid of depressing and confusing viewers.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

The movie's definitely very good. A lot of people prefer the Director's cut because it doesn't have the tacked on happy ending and the Harrison Ford "explain everything" voiceover which both existed because the studio was afraid of depressing and confusing viewers.
....depressing sci-fi Harison Ford ending? SOLD!

Gryfter

Gryfter

Casting choices for Ender's Game

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20577069,00.html

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Casting choices for Ender's Game

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20577069,00.html[/quote]

I have had this book forever and I still haven't got around to reading it. Better hurry up then.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I will be watching the HELL out of this.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I am also seeing the hell out of that. DAMN! Straight up Aasimov type shit right there.

Gryfter

Gryfter

That looks really cool.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Time travelling mob-hit Bruce Willis. What's not to like?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yup, that works. At one time I agreed with speculators that the movie should be animated to avoid the whole aging problem, but that would likely take away from some of the harshness.

I plan to read this again this year. One of my favorite books and pretty much the only Orson Scott Card novel I enjoy without reservation.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Okay, that looks fucking awesome. Seeing it.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I'm so there.

Frank

Frank

Heh, I just read somewhere that that look for Tonto was based on a painting of a Crow Indian except they were too dumb to notice that the crow was flying behind his head and not sitting on top.

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

Ok pretty cool, two questions, why wasn't Bruce Willis sent back with a hood, so he'd just pop him instead of looking at him, like first target he popped (kinda spoiled it for me), and what the hell happened to Joseph Gordon-Levitt didn't even recognize the kid?!?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

A Fantastic Fear of Everything
Jack (Simon Pegg) is a children's author turned crime novelist whose detailed research into the lives of Victorian serial killers has turned him into a paranoid wreck, persecuted by the irrational fear of being murdered. When Jack is thrown a life-line by his long-suffering agent and a mysterious Hollywood executive takes a sudden and inexplicable interest in his script, what should be his big break rapidly turns into his big breakdown, as Jack is forced to confront his worst demons; among them his love life, his laundry and the origin of all fear.

evilmike

evilmike

Ok pretty cool, two questions, why wasn't Bruce Willis sent back with a hood, so he'd just pop him instead of looking at him, like first target he popped (kinda spoiled it for me), and what the hell happened to Joseph Gordon-Levitt didn't even recognize the kid?!?
I keep wondering why they didn't just install the landing pad upside down over the blast furnace. Seems like it would save a few steps in the process.

Norris

Norris

what the hell happened to Joseph Gordon-Levitt didn't even recognize the kid?!?
According to TV Tropes, they put a lot of make-up on him to make him look more like a young Bruce Willis. Which I like a lot more than the standard Hollywood method of casting people as younger versions, the "Who's gonna notice?" method.

Espy

Espy

Wow... Looper looks amazing!
Also very excited about A FAntastic Fear of Everything.

Jay

Jay

Yes plz.

Frank

Frank

At first I was ehhhhh.

Then I got into it.

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

I keep wondering why they didn't just install the landing pad upside down over the blast furnace. Seems like it would save a few steps in the process.
True, or better still on the Moon, *gasp* *pop* all done.

evilmike

evilmike

Latest Prometheus trailer

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Apple's trailer site has the new Amazing Spider Man trailer (likely the one showing with Avengers). Sweet mercy, go watch it right now. It's looking pretty amazing.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Latest Prometheus trailer
I took a screengrab from my facebook that is relevant:
Prometheus.jpg

I'm still not sure if they were joking or not. I really hope so.

evilmike

evilmike

Apple's trailer site has the new Amazing Spider Man trailer (likely the one showing with Avengers). Sweet mercy, go watch it right now. It's looking pretty amazing.
This one?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

That's the one. Wasn't on Youtube when I posted but I figured it wouldn't take long.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I'm having so much trouble getting excited for this new Spider-Man movie. It just doesn't seem Spider-Man-y to me. At least in the trailers for this one he's actually cracked a couple of quips, unlike the Sam Raimi ones. but the Sam Raimi ones somehow managed to capture a level of playfulness to it all that nothing I've seen from this seems to convey.

Avengers looks fun. This looks like Spider-man is SERIOUS BUSINESS.

I'm still going to go see it though, if I can get anybody to come with me. Trailers often tell lies.

fade

fade

I was just coming in here to say this spidey is on the wambulance. I realize he spent a great deal of time on it in the comics, but he also had a lot of levity and enjoyed his superpowers... a balance that Raimi and Macguire did well.

fade

fade

That being said, A) this confirms my theory that the studio is going to start pumping out more fantastical superheroes again, and B) it's visually gorgeous.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I had zero interest in new Spidey based on the first trailer. Then some interest with the next trailer. This latest one has pretty much sold me. Didn't think that would happen.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

My interest has definitely grown, but I'm way more excited about the Avengers and Dark Knight Rises. And I'm a huge Spider-Man fan.

evilmike

evilmike

Expendables 2

Gryfter

Gryfter

If it's possible, that one looks even more outrageous than the first one.

Espy

Espy

Lets hope it includes some kind of plot as well. I was bored to death but the first one. Maybe I needed to see it in a theater with buddies to enjoy it rather than at home with Skyrim as an option if I chose it.

fade

fade

Prometheus. Ridley Scott can still direct, huh?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Having gotten into lacrosse this year, I'm actually kind of interested to see this even though it looks a little cheesy:

And I generally like sports movies, even when they're about sports I don't find particularly interesting, like baseball or football.

evilmike

evilmike

Argo

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Board game movies? Video game movies? Comic book movies? Pff, old hat. Now we're moving on to meme movies!

Frank

Frank

That's a pretty rad piece of history. I hope it isn't revised too heavily.

Norris

Norris

That "Safety Not Guaranteed" trailer was disappointing. I had been hoping for a wacky time-travel story, not a quirky indie rom-com.

However, "Argo" looked awesome. A quick check of Wikipedia reveals that Jack Kirby will be a character in the movie - he provided concept designs to help "sell" fake film - and he will be played by Michael Parks (Red State, Grindhouse, Kill Bill, From Dusk 'Til Dawn, Smokin' Aces 2: Assassin's Ball, Then Came Bronson). No part of that is not awesome.

evilmike

evilmike

Possibly Jackie Chan's last action film, Chinese Zodiac

SeraRelm

Prometheus. Ridley Scott can still direct, huh?
yeah... They're gonna take my money.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

First thought: live-action Jackie Chan Adventures.

Second thought: Jackie Chan's version of the movie Zodiac.

Then it was neither. :(

evilmike

evilmike

Skyfall

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Argo:
That looks REEEEEEEEEEEALLY good.
Also I guess that's the movie Kevin Smith was talking about Ben Afleck stealing away half his cast from Red State for.

Adam

Adam

As a huge fan of Les Mis, I'm torn on this. A big budget adaptation of the musical is my crack cocaine, but if the singing is anything like the trailer I'm really hesitant.

Compare to the original London cast 25th anniversary, I still get chills.

Covar

Covar

I don't think they've overdubbed the trailer (maybe? I hope?), but Anne Hathaway just doesn't seem like a good Fontine.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

It's going to be awesome since it has Taylor Swift in it :D

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

That's one of those musicals that I really regret not seeing early in its Broadway run or in London at any point in time. I saw it in 2003 when the Broadway version was on it's nth cast, and by that time you could just tell everyone was tired and going through the motions. Was a real pity, because I liked the music.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I thought the trailer was pretty good.

Adam

Adam

I thought the trailer was pretty good.
Oh I think the trailer looks good, the singing I'm unsold at this point. I'm just scared :(

LittleSin

LittleSin

I didn't think it was a bad rendition. She wasn't over singing it, a trait you develop when you're on stage. It sounded more...heart felt.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

In other musical news - I'm hyped for Rock of Ages.

I know this is the trailer thread but I'm too lazy and I have managed to get absolutely nothing spoiled for it yet - but this weekend Piranha 3DD's limited release includes my favorite theater in Houston!!!! I can't wait.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Not having much in way of spending money sucks. Movies I'm interested in:

Snow White and the Huntsman
Amazing Spider-man
Brave
Prometheus
The Dark Knight Rises

We have money on our gift card for TWO films. And then my aunts will be getting us free tickets for Brave since we're taking the little ones off their hands for a weekend. But otherwise, gotta choose two, and I know Dark Knight Rises is definite.

I wish we had dollar theaters around here.

SeraRelm

Prometheus.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Reviews are coming in for Prometheus.

They aren't great.

SeraRelm

RT has it at an 82% so far. I still want to see it given the universe in which it's set. :D
(Snow White is at 45%)

LittleSin

LittleSin

I do to...but I don't think it'll see my theater money now.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

My problem is that I doubt I can convince my wife that Prometheus is what we should see and then I doubt she'll enjoy it either. It's making me drool, but it's probably a better movie to see with my friend who's a horror nut. Though she's far away and I still wouldn't have money.

Blargh. Apparently all the cheapo theaters around here closed up before we ever moved here.

SeraRelm

I guess it's Spider-Man then...

SeraRelm

I do to...but I don't think it'll see my theater money now.
:cry: Why not?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Aaargh. I've heard Hugh Jackman sing in Oklahoma and hated it. Who knows? Maybe this will change my mind. Didn't care for Anne Hathaway's singing, but I bet she would play this part well. Same with Jackman. I never would have thought of Crowe as Javert. I'm just curious enough to check this out.

evilmike

evilmike

Wreck-It Ralph

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Wreck-It Ralph
I am looking forward to this.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Wreck-It Ralph
This looks like it will be fun. Also, I'm giddy about the fact that Disney managed to secure so many actual video game characters for this.

Adam

Adam

HOBO! Jay

Wow, that actually looks kind of fun :) Yay video games!

evilmike

evilmike

Django Unchained

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I cannot respond to that trailer with anything other than giddiness and rolling around screaming AHHHHHHHH IT'S GOING TO BE SO FUCKING GOOD

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

:awesome:

Soliloquy

I just saw that this morning. I am so pumped I can't even contain myself.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Oh fuck yes.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Wow, that's looking pretty good. Haven't been interested in a Western in a long time, but that trailer has my interest.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I don't think that's a Western anymore Inglorious Basterds is a war film, really. Tarantino films kinda demand a category of their own...

SeraRelm

I have a category for them...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I have a category for them...
:rimshot:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Django Unchained

Yup. That looks bad ass.
Wreck-It Ralph
.... I'm on the fence on this one. It actually looks pretty good, but it really has no right to be, so I'm not going to hold my breath.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Carjacker clip from the upcoming Spider-Man movie. I'm not impressed, the acting's kinda shit and Spidey is a dickwad.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Why is my friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man such an asshole?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Because this is the 21st century, bitch! Ideology and humor is for pussies! The youth of today idolize self-centered dickwads! It's the American way!

[/sarcasm]

Norris

Norris

He screwed around with a car thief (which is totally in character) and then got really pissed off at a cop who shot at him. I don't think we was any bigger of an asshole than he usually is in the comics.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I think the thing that felt off about it was it not sounding like his usual sarcasm, and more like flat-out taunting. Felt more like one of those stereotypical bully/nerd confrontations than Spidey screwing with a villain. On top of that the cop immediately opening fire while his hands were up was kind of weird. I mean, all things considered I'll probably end up seeing this eventually, but this clip doesn't have me as excited for the movie as I once was.

evilmike

evilmike

Monster University

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Going to hold back judgement. After all I thought Toy Story 3 looked stupid in its first few trailers and it turned out to be Pixars best film yet.

evilmike

evilmike

Dredd

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Ah, the future that should have been 12 years ago.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

OK it is pretty cool that they cast Karl Urban as Dredd.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Actually that doesn't look so bad, although The Raid called, and wants it's plot back.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

That looks awesome.

Also, I totally love La Roux.

evilmike

evilmike

Taken 2

Covar

Covar

Trailers not as good as the first trailer (which admittedly is hard to beat), and the plot seems a little contrived (but I like how it ties in well with the first movie), but Taken turned out to be a great movie, certainly the biggest surprise for me that year, so I'll definitely go see this.

evilmike

evilmike

Another Frankenweenie Trailer

PatrThom

PatrThom

Bwuh?

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Bwuh?

--Patrick
I love Jackie Chan. I don't care if the plot makes no sense.

evilmike

evilmike

Oz: The Great and Powerful

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Apparently Comic-Con saw a teaser of the new Godzilla movie.

I don't have a link, but I want one.

Covar

Covar

I love Jackie Chan. I don't care if the plot makes no sense.
One more thing! Talismans not important!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yay for mixed intentions. They have music suggesting they want a tone of somber wonder, but then have stupid dialogue that likely reveals what the movie's really like... while still continuing the mood music.

LittleSin

LittleSin

You know, I dug the first Ice Age.

I haven't seen Rio.

I'm willing to give this a chance.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I haven't seen Rio.

Blue Sky also did horton Hear's a Who, which is by far their best work to date.
Rio was okay.... It was pulp for children. Nothing special, but I can't really say it was atrociously bad either. I terms of story and entertainment, probably about on par with the first Ice Age, though on every technical aspect obviously it's leaps and bounds ahead.[DOUBLEPOST=1342808957][/DOUBLEPOST]This is one I'm really interested in:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

ED ASNER ROCKS!!!

LittleSin

LittleSin

Oh! I want to SEE!

Norris

Norris

That looks crazy good.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I will watch the hell out of that voice actor movie.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

To be fair, using Cowboy Bebop's music will make anything look good.

But yeah, It looks awesome. I find it insanely interesting how small the world of voice acting really is. I bet John Dimaggio didn't even have to go through any sort of agents or managers in order to get like 90% of those interviews. He's probably worked with, or worked with someone who has worked with, nearly everyone in the documentary.

Frank

Frank

Yeah, listening to Rob Paulsen's podcast has really put into perspective how tiny their community is and how close knit they are. Will watch for sure.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I haven't seen Rio.

Not saying it can't be good, but the advertising's tone is all over the place. Hopefully that's not indicative of the movie.

evilmike

evilmike

Man of Steel

Norris

Norris

Wow. That's incredibly underwhelming. Like, to the max.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

...is that dog gonna be Krypto?

evilmike

evilmike

Saw a random suggestion to play the MoS trailer with the following music. It matches up surprisingly well.

I tried to mash it up in Tubedubber, but it wouldn't load.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

It loaded for me
http://tubedubber.com/#eWP4LFJdx2E:C-vz4Gdtrvc:0:100:0:0:1
And it worked pretty darn well. Though the beginning of the John Williams track is so quiet, you do miss the voiceover from the original trailer.

chris

chris

Man of Steel
Is that Kevin Costner ?

Tress

Tress

Is that Kevin Costner ?
The voice over? That's Russell Crowe.

chris

chris

The voice over? That's Russell Crowe.
No, the man on the picture. I IMDb'd the movie just now and Costner playing Jonathan Kent. But Russel Crowe is in it as Jor El

evilmike

evilmike

Is that Kevin Costner ?
There's two versions of the trailer. Here is the one that has Kevin Costner doing the voice over:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

...But Russel Crowe is in it as Jor El
IN SPACE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR ACCENT...

chris

chris

IN SPACE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR ACCENT...
It looks like you are right. Except for Zod all other kryptonians are played by non-americans.

Covar

Covar

Man of Steel trailer removed the last remaining hope I had for a good Superman movie.

Espy

Espy

Man of Steel trailer removed the last remaining hope I had for a good Superman movie.
Really? I've been dreading it but those trailers made me think we might actually get something decent.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It's likely because of my bias, but I'm actually a little excited for the movie, now. Still very hesitant because it's Zack Snyder, who makes glorified, slow-motion porn.

As for that "I Know That Voice" trailer? Holy shit, must see. Also, I had no idea until just now that Billy West did Fry and Zoiberg!

chris

chris

Because Zack Snyder directed?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

That is my main reservation with this film.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

In Snyder's defence, he can be a good director. Even though I hated some of his story decisions in Watchmen, it was a very good looking movie. In fact, all of his movies, say what you will about them, were really well shot. He has an eye for visuals, but his storytelling skills are lacking sometimes.

At the very least, this will be a very gorgeous movie. And I actually kind of like the idea behind the story, taking Superman's travels between Smallville and Metropolis to find himself (which is a key thing about his character, because he travelled the world for awhile before moving to Metropolis and donning the cape.) How those ideas turn out, we'll have to see.

Covar

Covar

Plus every interview him and Nolan give really makes me think they don't understand the character.

Then we have the petty things, like the awful suit design, and the shrek logo.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Plus every interview him and Nolan give really makes me think they don't understand the character.

Then we have the petty things, like the awful suit design, and the shrek logo.
I haven't read a lot of interviews about it, but as far as the costume goes, it's not bad. It's a bit dark on the colours for me, but it's over all not bad.

Especially when compared to what Tim Burton was planning:

Covar

Covar

shit has to stand on it's own, not how it ranks against shittier shit. If you compare shit to shittier shit you'll just become more tolerant of shit.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Regarding the suit, I actually like the New 52 suit that they're going with. Don't get me wrong, the original suit is classic and iconic, but I kind of like the design scheme and general look better.

As for this film, I do hope that we finally get another good Superman film. It has been ages since Richard Donner's two Superman films and I'd love to see someone make another great film about the Big Blue Boy Scout.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

shit has to stand on it's own, not how it ranks against shittier shit. If you compare shit to shittier shit you'll just become more tolerant of shit.
Or it's just looking at the bright side of how bad it could've been.

Norris

Norris

It's likely because of my bias, but I'm actually a little excited for the movie, now. Still very hesitant because it's Zack Snyder, who makes glorified, slow-motion porn.
See, it just doesn't look like a Superman movie to me. It looks like it is trying too hard to be Batman Superman Begins. Doesn't look to have the sense of...I dunno, wonder that I like in my Superman.

As for that "I Know That Voice" trailer? Holy shit, must see. Also, I had no idea until just now that Billy West did Fry and Zoiberg!
And the Professor and Zap and a bunch of incidental characters. Dude's got an elastic voice.

Espy

Espy

The Russell Crowe version of the trailer gave me chills. Damn Russell Crowe. Taking breaks from Fightin' Round the World to sound so freaking awesome.

Frank

Frank

I thought they were making a Deadliest Catch movie. That trailer wasn't good.

evilmike

evilmike

I thought they were making a Deadliest Catch movie. That trailer wasn't good.
It looks like Aaron Williams had a similar thought over a FFN.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

And the Professor.
And Zapp Brannigan.
And like 80% of the supporting characters. Dude's a machine.

Piotyr

Piotyr

And the Professor.
And Zapp Brannigan.
And like 80% of the supporting characters. Dude's a machine.
Well sure, but does he play Hedonism Bot?

Frank

Frank

No, that's Maurice LaMarche. Also a machine.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

No, that's Maurice LaMarche. Also a machine.
(He also does Lurr, Horrible Gelatenous Blob, Morbo the News Monster, The Big Brain, Calculon, and Kif Kroeker, among others.)
And he's a Canadian.

evilmike

evilmike

Life of Pi

Frank

Frank

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/silen...evelation-3d-theatrical-trailer-30112254.html

Uuuuuhhhh....Jon Snow?

(My cousin is the director of that...uuh, I guess movie)

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I thought this was really cool. The upcoming ParaNORMAN is going to do stop motion smear animation. Here are some smear heads:

As far as I know, this is the first time a stop motion feature will attempt to use smears. It should really make it look really different from any other stop motion up til now.
(To clarify if you don't know, because of the way stop motion is filmed, every frame is in focus. This is part of why ultimately Spielberg agreed to use CG in Jurassic Park when they originally were using stop motion and digitally adding in motion blurs. It's also part of why the movement kind of looks creepy sometimes in stop motion films. Traditional animation has used "smear" drawings, dry brushing and multiples to replicate motion blur since the 30s. So this is stop motion replicating a 2D technique that replicates live action motion blur)

Espy

Espy

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/silen...evelation-3d-theatrical-trailer-30112254.html

Uuuuuhhhh....Jon Snow?

You know I actually really enjoyed the first one (it's not a great movie by any stretch, don't get me wrong) but that trailer didn't really instill me with confidence that I will feel the same about the second. I'm sure I will see it so... maybe I will be surprised.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Having never played the games no doubt warps my views and I'm unable to judge it in terms of an adaptation, but for what it's worth I felt like Silent Hill was and is still the best video game movie to date. It sucked less than the average.

Espy

Espy

Having never played the games no doubt warps my views and I'm unable to judge it in terms of an adaptation, but for what it's worth I felt like Silent Hill was and is still the best video game movie to date. It sucked less than the average.
Yeah, I've never played them either and I don't personally care or know how well they match up (not that they must, different mediums and all that jazz). The movie, which was flawed, had some fantastic monsters, great atmosphere, some really good scares and a pretty solid story. It forgot that Sean Bean has to die though so marks off for that. They must not have read his contract.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Uuuuuhhhh....Jon Snow?

So they're trying to do Silent Hill 3, while also retread through the first movie.

Okay...

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Yeah, I've never played them either and I don't personally care or know how well they match up (not that they must, different mediums and all that jazz). The movie, which was flawed, had some fantastic monsters, great atmosphere, some really good scares and a pretty solid story. It forgot that Sean Bean has to die though so marks off for that. They must not have read his contract.
Bean got let off easy at least once... he got punked out with a cup of coffee in Ronin.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

His death ratio is really high, but I remember seeing a site out there where they kept track, and it was actually still under 50% of his roles that he dies in, last I saw it.
EDIT:
Hmm... hasn't been updated in 3 years.
http://www.compleatseanbean.com/deathbycow.html
Major spoilers for a bunch of movies, most of which if you're like me you've never heard of:
R.I.P.
Airborne - bye bye Toombs
Caravaggio - Rannuccio gets his throat slashed
Clarissa - Lovelace is skewered by Sean Pertwee
Don't Say a Word - Patrick Koster is buried alive
Equilibrium - Death by Poetry - Partridge is blasted away by Christian Bale while reading Yeats
Essex Boys - Jason Locke meets a nasty end in a Range Rover
Far North - Loki is frozen. Naked. In the snow. A chilling end if there ever was one.
The Field - the infamous Death by Cow - Tadgh falls over a cliff, pursued by a herd of stampeding cows
GoldenEye - Alec Trevelyan falls a long way down and is crushed by a satellite dish thing
Henry VIII - Robert Aske meets a gruesome end
The Island - Death by Clone. Merrick is shot in the throat by a nasty grabber thingy with a sharp
hook and a cable that gets wrapped around his neck, and while he's struggling with Lincoln
Six-Echo, the catwalk they're on collapses, and Merrick ends up dangling by the neck. Currently
the most creative dispatch of Sean's career. Definitely well hung.
The Lord of the Rings (The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King) - Death
by Orc. Boromir. Arrows. Need I say more?
Lorna Doone - Carver Doone drowns
Outlaw - Dead Dead Dead. Was there ever any question? Dead.
Patriot Games - Sean Miller is beaten up, boathooked and finally blown up by Harrison Ford
Scarlett - Lord Fenton is dispatched
Tell Me That You Love Me - Gabriel Lewis is stabbed by Laura. Or he stabs himself. We're not
quite sure about this one, actually.
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion - Death by summoning a god's avatar. Martin Septim (the son of the Emperor, aka The Lost Heir) meets his X-Box end when he attempts to save the world.
The Hitcher - Surely you jest. You need to ask? (There were two different versions filmed. He dies
in both of them.)
War Requiem - The German Soldier dies, but returns in the afterlife

He lives!
(Leo Tolstoy's) Anna Karenina
A Woman's Guide to Adultery
The Big Empty
The Bill
Black Beauty
Bravo Two Zero
Exploits at West Poley
Extremely Dangerous
Faceless
The Fifteen Streets
Flightplan
Fool's Gold
How to Get Ahead in Advertising
In the Border Country
Inspector Morse: Absolute Conviction
Jacob
Lady Chatterley
The Loser
My Kingdom for a Horse
National Treasure (But only because of a rewrite. In an early version
of the the script Ian Howe got eaten by alligators in the subways of
New York. Really. Honest. I wouldn't lie to you. I wouldn't.)
North Country
Percy Jackson (Zeus is more or less an immortal so death seems a bit
redundant, really...)
The Practice
Pride
Prince
Punters
Ronin
Samson & Delilah
Sharpe (14 films)
Sharpe's Challenge
Shopping
Silent Hill
Small Zones
Stormy Monday
Tom & Thomas
Troubles
The Canterbury Tales - The Nun's Priest's Tale
The Dark
The True Bride
The Vicar of Dibley
Troy
Wedded
When Saturday Comes
Windprints
Winter Flight

Major Theatrical Performances:Macbeth ... Yes. He dies. And gets his head impaled on a spike.
Romeo & Juliet... What do you think?
Fair Maid of the West ... Spencer doesn't die!

Gusto

Gusto

Cool I've never seen Sean Bean in anything where he lives.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Cool I've never seen Sean Bean in anything where he lives.
Watch Ronin, good spy/mercenary/car chase movie. And Bean lives!

But I halfway think that the girl killed him off camera.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Ronin is seriously good. One of the best car chases in movie history, too.

Covar

Covar

Sean Bean spoiled Game of Thrones for me. I was mid way through the book when I saw the casting for the show.

evilmike

evilmike

Latest Skyfall Trailer

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

yes yes yse yes YES YES YES YES YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

What the hell did they do to Javier's head?

I guess it looks better than his Dorothy Hamil cut from No Country...

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

It seems somebody was inspired to cross Attack the Block with Shaun of the Dead

Gusto

Gusto

Sean Bean spoiled Game of Thrones for me. I was mid way through the book when I saw the casting for the show.
This was exactly my experience.

Frank

Frank

I rolled my eyes at that movie because that shit is so played out. Then I watched the trailer and it looks halfway entertaining.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Bloody 'ell, I wants me a piece a' that!

Gusto

Gusto

That Life of Pi trailer looks pretty swell.

PatrThom

PatrThom

QT-WTF?
(caution: red band trailer)

--Patrick

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

QT-WTF?

--Patrick
I watched that hoping for it was for a Danny Rand "Iron Fist" movie. I was disappointed.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

This movie will be so manly, I'll need a shot of estrogen by the end.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I watched that hoping for it was for a Danny Rand "Iron Fist" movie. I was disappointed.
I'll give it a shot. RZA is a major fan of Kung Fu films.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Not exactly what I thought it was either, but I wasn't really disappointed. This looks pretty awesome. I had to look up who RZA is though, and it seems this is his first directing gig. So :S But the Quentin Tarantino and Eli Roth influence is clearly all over this.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

RZA's Rap Super Group was called the Wu Tang Clan after all...[DOUBLEPOST=1345173621][/DOUBLEPOST]

And he was most excellent to Craig Ferguson's Mother.

Norris

Norris

Well, I'll be first in line for "The Man with the Iron Fists" opening day. Definitely looks cool. Going to make it kind of hard for Marvel to pull off an Iron Fist solo movie anytime soon though.

Worth noting - RZA composed and produced the original score for Kill Bill (with Robert Rodriguez helping out on Vol. 2). If this means we've got another director creating the kind of movies they do, thematically speaking, I'm all for it.

Huh. Arnie starring in a modern day western. Plot reminds me, albeit very vaguely, of Rio Bravo. Might be worth a look.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

QT-WTF?

--Patrick
In imagery that is certain to haunt everyone that reads this; my nipples are rock hard after watching that.

Espy

Espy

Wow, is that Arnold Schwarzenegger? I thought it was just a normal small town Austrian body builder Sheriff that you can find anywhere along the border!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Oh HELL no.

I just...people can be...how skeptical should...ugh.

--Patrick

Norris

Norris

If you mean "How skeptical of this film's premise should I be?", the answer is not very. That shit actually happened.

Espy

Espy

Word is it's fantastic. It looks... intense.

PatrThom

PatrThom

That shit actually happened.
Yes. I know. My comment was directed at the real live people with whom I share the world, not the people in the movie.

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I can't understand how anyone could be so flipping gullible. What moron could actually be convinced that they can perform a strip search? Or not expect some authority to show up there personally?

Tress

Tress

I can't understand how anyone could be so flipping gullible. What moron could actually be convinced that they can perform a strip search? Or not expect some authority to show up there personally?
As that article puts it: "The caller, usually pretending to be a police officer investigating a crime, targeted stores in small towns and rural communities -- areas where managers were more likely to be trusting."

Translation: The caller picked backwater areas with a high likelihood of the store manager being stupid. Never underestimate how dumb some people can be in more isolated rural areas.

Covar

Covar

PatrThom

PatrThom

I believe this is the link you meant to include (tl;dr: Milgrim wasn't as bad as you think).

--Patrick

Covar

Covar

I don't think Milgram was bad at all (unless you count "do it and apologize later" decision making making and embarking on a study that can never be replicated well due to ethical considerations bad). Just that people don't have to be "rural hicks" to be coerced into doing something horrible while being encouraged by a supposed authority figure.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Also:

I cannot begin to tell you how much I want this not to suck, but I am worried that even having Neal McDonough will not be enough to save it.

--Patrick

MindDetective

MindDetective

Is anyone else sick of the panning city shot from above?

Covar

Covar

I cannot begin to tell you how much I want this not to suck, but I am worried that even having Neal McDonough will not be enough to save it.

--Patrick
definitely a replicant. These version 1's are so easy to distinguish.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I don't think Milgram was bad at all (unless you count "do it and apologize later" decision making making and embarking on a study that can never be replicated well due to ethical considerations bad). Just that people don't have to be "rural hicks" to be coerced into doing something horrible while being encouraged by a supposed authority figure.
People are stupid pretty much everywhere you look.

Frank

Frank

That prototype guy made me instantly think of the Omar from Deus Ex 2.

evilmike

evilmike

I thought this was really cool. The upcoming ParaNORMAN is going to do stop motion smear animation. Here are some smear heads:

As far as I know, this is the first time a stop motion feature will attempt to use smears. It should really make it look really different from any other stop motion up til now.
(To clarify if you don't know, because of the way stop motion is filmed, every frame is in focus. This is part of why ultimately Spielberg agreed to use CG in Jurassic Park when they originally were using stop motion and digitally adding in motion blurs. It's also part of why the movement kind of looks creepy sometimes in stop motion films. Traditional animation has used "smear" drawings, dry brushing and multiples to replicate motion blur since the 30s. So this is stop motion replicating a 2D technique that replicates live action motion blur)
That's very interesting.

Though, I can't help but think that I'm looking for a plate of the world's creepiest bananas.

evilmike

evilmike

Wreck-It Ralph, trailer #2

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Dear lord I can't wait for that movie. It looks like video games answer to Roger Rabbit.

Jay

Jay

I love it.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Want.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Let's hope the video game adaptation is good! And its Disney so you know there will be.

Gusto

Gusto

Let's hope the video game adaptation is good! And its Disney so you know there will be.
I actually wouldn't be terribly surprised if they release Wreck-it Ralph, as in the arcade game from the movie, as a free Facebook/iPhone game as promotion for the movie.

evilmike

evilmike

I actually wouldn't be terribly surprised if they release Wreck-it Ralph, as in the arcade game from the movie, as a free Facebook/iPhone game as promotion for the movie.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fix-it-felix-jr./id528875852?mt=8

Gusto

Gusto

Well there you go.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Well, time to bug my dad about using his ipad now!

Bowielee

Bowielee

Just a little reminder of this movie as it's coming out soon (already out in europe).

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Apparently they are making a Looney Tunes reboot...again. PREPARE YOUR KEY-BOARDS! This may be a doozy.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Did they manage to clone Mel Blanc yet?Because really, there's no point otherwise.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Did they manage to clone Mel Blanc yet?Because really, there's no point otherwise.
Damn straight. They just sound weird when not done by him.

Dave

Dave

Wow... Looper looks amazing!
Also very excited about A FAntastic Fear of Everything.
Got tickets to an advanced screening of this. I'll tell you tomorrow how it is.

evilmike

evilmike

Animated version of the Looper trailer

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

NICE! Great casting for Alex Cross.

evilmike

evilmike

Got tickets to an advanced screening of this. I'll tell you tomorrow how it is.
Well?

Adam

Adam

Iron Man 3 Teaser for the Trailer (As opposed to a Teaser Trailer which is something completely different)

Frank

Frank

The world is getting to be a more ridiculous place.

Today we are announcing that we are having an announcement for the teaser for the teaser trailer that will stoke you for when the real trailer for the movie OF THE CENTURY!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I fucking hate how movies are marketed why do I even read this thread

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I fucking hate how movies are marketed why do I even read this thread
Unrestrained sadomasochistic tendencies? :p

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Iron Man 3 Teaser for the Trailer (As opposed to a Teaser Trailer which is something completely different)

And now the actual trailer

What did you think of that, Martin Lawrence?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Want.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Why didn't anyone else think of just blowing up tony stark's house

Norris

Norris

Why didn't anyone else think of just blowing up tony stark's house
Uh...Obidiah settled for taking him off of life support and Ivan Vanko was based on the other side of the country?

LittleSin

LittleSin

I just saw the trailer for the Evil Dead remake.

Talk about sadistic...holy shit.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I just saw the trailer for the Evil Dead remake.

Talk about sadistic...holy shit.
Here's for everybody to see. Might not want to watch it if you don't like seeing human flesh slowly cut with jagged metal.

Espy

Espy

Whoa.[DOUBLEPOST=1351197898][/DOUBLEPOST]Also: Needs more Bruce.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

....ho-ho-ly SHIT that was awesome! My lord, the blood and gore was just beautiful! I can't believe I'm saying this but I am looking forward to this!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

....ho-ho-ly SHIT that was awesome! My lord, the blood and gore was just beautiful! I can't believe I'm saying this but I am looking forward to this!

*backs away slowly*

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Well excuse me if I love well executed blood and gore. It may even make up for the possible awful remake writing! No no it won't...BUT GORE!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

No no it won't...BUT GORE!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Okay, now THAT's pants-s*ittingly scary...

figmentPez

figmentPez

A zombie movie that actually intrigues me... Huh, whodathunkit?

Warm Bodies

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Ah man, I wanted to post that! Plus it has- ROB CORDRY! He is awesome.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Dear Russell Crowe,

You are a very good actor, and by all accounts a pretty awesome guy. I've also heard you have your own band, and plenty of singing experience.

But damn, you suck in this trailer.

Everything and everyone else is awesome though.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

This looks really good, I can't wait to see it.

Adam

Adam

Dear Russell Crowe,

You are a very good actor, and by all accounts a pretty awesome guy. I've also heard you have your own band, and plenty of singing experience.

But damn, you suck in this trailer.

Everything and everyone else is awesome though.
Having seen Les Mis in concert numerous times and absolutely loving the original English production and the actors therein, I'm kinda torn on this one. I'm interested in seeing Hathaway based on the trailer, Crowe is an octave too high for his parts and I think Sacha Baren Cohen is inspired casting for Thenardier.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Having seen Les Mis in concert numerous times and absolutely loving the original English production and the actors therein, I'm kinda torn on this one. I'm interested in seeing Hathaway based on the trailer, Crowe is an octave too high for his parts and I think Sacha Baren Cohen is inspired casting for Thenardier.
You had me at Sacha Baren Cohen. I can deal with Crowe, as long as he doesn't throw a phone at me. OUTDATED POP CULTURE REFERENCE!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I have to admit, this looks fun as hell.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Did they ever come out and say why the actually delayed it? I know rumors went around of then re-doing it in 3D and also re-writing half the movie for Channing Tatum or something, but did they ever make it clear?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Did they ever come out and say why the actually delayed it? I know rumors went around of then re-doing it in 3D and also re-writing half the movie for Channing Tatum or something, but did they ever make it clear?
From what I understand it was more about not wanting to compete with Batman and Avengers. 3D might be part of it, but I remember reading/hearing somewhere that Tatum's part is about the same as it was before.

fade

fade

Wait, what? Ash is a girl now?

Hmm, I know I'll get Jayed for this, but whatever. The best thing about the original Evil Dead WAS the low budget. It made it scary and realistic. The cabin looked real, and you could put yourself mentally there. The sequels were fun, but pure corn. The first was actually scary. I'll have to go see it, but it looks like they traded terror for gore.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Yeah, I gotta agree with Fade (about the budget thing). I'm not saying this will be bad, but at least the trailer makes it feel more like a generic horror movie like every other horror re-make. It just made me want to see Cabin in the Woods again and be definitively entertained.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Saw some trailers before The Hobbit. I saw what looked like a cool trailer... had Will Smith and Jaden Smith on some post-human Earth and it seemed imaginative, a good spectacle, something to look forward to next summer...

Written and Directed by M. Night Shamyalan.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

UGH, thats a star that burnt out if there ever was one. I remember seeing "The Village" at age 13. By the end me, my family, and just about every other film viewer was complaining about how shitty the ending was.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That's where it started, bad endings, and then he went on to make plain old bad movies.

After Earth would have to be getting rave reviews for me to pay theater price for it. And I love Will Smith in sci-fi stuff. I was totally on-board until that writer/director credit came up. Fuck M. Night.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I heard "Last Airbender" was so bad that not even M.Night could sit through it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I heard "Last Airbender" was so bad that not even M.Night could sit through it.
It was so bad I could hardly sit through it despite having Rifftrax going, and they were murdering that movie's every aspect almost as thoroughly as they did Twilight: New Moon.

KCWM

KCWM

MNS isn't the only writer on After Earth, if I recall correctly. There's hope...

Off to google the other writer.

KCWM

KCWM

Gary Whitta (Book of Eli) polished up the screenplay.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

The railer for Michael Bay's newest film, Pain and Gain.

Espy

Espy

That looks far more interesting than anything Michael Bay has done in a long time. Plus Marky Mark is freaking huge. Dude drank a few protein shakes.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

OK, that last line was awesome.

evilmike

evilmike

Wrong, "a new film by the visionary director of Rubber"...

fade

fade

Hmm. I'm intrigued. I liked Rubber.

Just Me

Just Me

More Bruce for this thread.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

has anyone posted the Evil Dead Remake Red Band Trailer yet because holy shit
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvDLWlxxcak

edit I have no idea how it works click that

fade

fade

If by "holy shit", you mean "rip the creeping psychological terror out of the original and replace it with boring gore", I'm right there with you.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

If by "holy shit", you mean "rip the creeping psychological terror out of the original and replace it with boring gore", I'm right there with you.
Thaaaaaaaaaaat trailer looks really fucking scary

Espy

Espy

That trailer was WAY better than the previous one. Still not sold on it but it looks scarier, which is good.

evilmike

evilmike

Red 2

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Creepy, psychological terror? Are we thinking about the same Evil Dead?

fade

fade

Creepy, psychological terror? Are we thinking about the same Evil Dead?
Hey, the second and third were pure corn, but the first was scary. It's the little things, Jules. Like when the porch swing suddenly stops.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

has anyone posted the Evil Dead Remake Red Band Trailer yet because holy shit
[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvDLWlxxcak [/youtube]

edit I have no idea how it works click that
Fixing this 'cause it's bothering me.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Thanks!

Gusto

Gusto

Charlie all you gotta do is post the youtube link, the forum automatically embeds it. So basically what you had there but without the BBCode tags.

evilmike

evilmike

Byzantium

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Oh Goro, you are not your father. Sadly.

Frank

Frank

Holy shit....Jeffrey Combs, who is awesome, in a sick twisted version of the game so many of us have played with our coworkers, friends and loved ones since forever.

I'm usually blah as fuck on horror, but I want in here. I want to see this really badly.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

So yeah Monster's University...I'm teetering on the fence on this one.

evilmike

evilmike

Monsters University, trailer #2

figmentPez

figmentPez

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

My Satan...a Dreamworks sequel I'm ACTUALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO?! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeird.

fade

fade

If hollywood has taught me anything, it's to NEVER accept a dinner party invitation.

Piotyr

Piotyr

My Satan...a Dreamworks sequel I'm ACTUALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO?! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeird.
Weird, the Shrek, Madagascar and Kung Fu Panda sequels are really well done, with one exception or two (Shrek 3)

Covar

Covar

It's also a Sony Picture Entertainment movie.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Weird, the Shrek, Madagascar and Kung Fu Panda sequels are really well done, with one exception or two (Shrek 3)
Shrek: 3 & Four was what I was talking about, especially 3. SUCH filler.

Madagascar and Kung Fu Panda: Didn't see em cos I heard bad stuff, but if you say their good I'll givem a shot.

It's also a Sony Picture Entertainment movie.
Right, I always forget that.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Shrek: 3 & Four was what I was talking about, especially 3. SUCH filler.

Madagascar and Kung Fu Panda: Didn't see em cos I heard bad stuff, but if you say their good I'll givem a shot.

Right, I always forget that.
I've heard the exact opposite about the Madagascar and Kung Fu Panda movies. I've heard that each sequel is actually better than the one before it (I haven't watched any of them either).

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I've heard the exact opposite about the Madagascar and Kung Fu Panda movies. I've heard that each sequel is actually better than the one before it (I haven't watched any of them either).
I must concur when it comes to Kung Fu Panda. I really liked the first one, and I think the second one is even better.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Kung Fu Panda 1 and 2 were good, I thought. I honestly don't remember much about Madagascar 1 and 2.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I love that "The Penguins of Madagascar" show. I just wish they could've gotten Ben Stiller to actually guest-star on that one episode, "Guest-starring Alex the lion!" Friggin' cop-out.

Gusto

Gusto

Kung Fu Panda 2 was a beautiful movie. So much to enjoy, if you liked the first, you'll love the second.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I'll make sure to watch all three, thank yas.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Madagascar 2 felt dull to me.

evilmike

evilmike

evilmike

evilmike

Kick Ass 2

Dave

Dave

Just came in to post this, Mike. Holy shit. I knew NOTHING about it and when they showed the name at the end of the new guy I nearly lost it.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Just came in to post this, Mike. Holy shit. I knew NOTHING about it and when they showed the name at the end of the new guy I nearly lost it.
I noticed it was him, but man he's doing an amazing job of disguising his voice, it took me a minute to figure it out.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I didn't think they could make a movie as obnoxious as the first one, once again I was wrong

Dave

Dave

obnoxious
You spelled "fun" wrong.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

am I supposed to laugh at the little girl calling people cocksuckers and smacking another kid and calling him a pussy and to take out his tampon?

or the America's Funniest Home Video classic nutshots in at least 3 shots

The plot seems a little more interesting than the first one's, but they (hilariously) killed off the only interesting character.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I noticed it was him, but man he's doing an amazing job of disguising his voice, it took me a minute to figure it out.
Goddamn, I couldn't see it until they said his name.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Never really cared for the book to Kick-Ass, and my brother said the film wasn't much better.

Helloooooooooooo reason to sneak pot into a theater.

Dave

Dave

Whoa. That looks cool as hell. Even without the drugs. Damned kids and their drugs. Don't do the pot, kids!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Drugs fucking rule.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I won't need drugs to enjoy this movie. It looks like a mix between The Never Ending Story and Sucker Punch.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Drugs fucking rule.

I do remember Vicodin Charlie being pretty fucking awesome.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Looks like some kind of psychotic take on Little Nemo.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Damn... and I gave that movie a miss because I didn't like Nightwish's new singer.

How is this related?

Nightwish. Made. The. Goddamn. Soundtrack.

ALL OF IT :Leyla:

figmentPez

figmentPez

Am I the only one who thought the trailer for The Great Gatsby was almost ruined by the soundtrack used for it?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

No, no you are definitely not figmentPez . Does not mesh with the Great Gatsby at all.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Damn... and I gave that movie a miss because I didn't like Nightwish's new singer.

She's obviously no Tarja... but it's not like she's terrible.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

How is this related?

Nightwish. Made. The. Goddamn. Soundtrack.

ALL OF IT :Leyla:
Looks like they essentially made the movie, considering Tuomo's level of involvement and the contents feel like a lot of themes from Nightwish songs.

Probably going to be pretentious as hell, like musician-movie projects tend to be.

fade

fade

am I supposed to laugh at the little girl calling people cocksuckers and smacking another kid and calling him a pussy and to take out his tampon?

or the America's Funniest Home Video classic nutshots in at least 3 shots

The plot seems a little more interesting than the first one's, but they (hilariously) killed off the only interesting character.
It sounds to me like you reacted exactly the way the director wanted you to. You were supposed to be uncomfortable about her character. Kick-ass's own fights were supposed to be terrible.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Looks like they essentially made the movie, considering Tuomo's level of involvement and the contents feel like a lot of themes from Nightwish songs.

Probably going to be pretentious as hell, like musician-movie projects tend to be.
Probably... I mean, Dark Floors, inspired and pretty much made for the Eurovision winner monster band Lordi just plain sucked.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

It sounds to me like you reacted exactly the way the director wanted you to. You were supposed to be uncomfortable about her character.
everything about hit girl in that trailer and in Kick Ass 1 was presented / filmed / delivered like a punchline (pun intended)

fade

fade

I completely disagree. You watched it from a different angle than I did. I don't feel like the film was going for punch line beyond an uncomfortable initial chuckle. I think they were going for a classic comic feel to throw you off guard so that it would suddenly hit you that, "Hey, this isn't right." The whole Hit Girl thing was there as a counter-point to characters like Robin.

It's funny--I would've thought you would've liked Kick Ass. I thought it was fairly cranial and loaded with satirical commentary on the whole genre.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Maybe you're both right.

Cajungal

Cajungal

When I watched the trailer, I *did* laugh at Hit Girl. I didn't realize how dark the movie would be; maybe I watched some very short teaser-type trailers, but that was my first impression.

It was still kind of a funny contrast at first, but yeah fade I definitely felt uncomfortable and squirmy about it throughout the movie. It was pretty tragic. I feel like the part when they tried to add the most humor was at the end when she pummeled those bullies.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This looks fucking creepy. Why did I watch this trailer before bed?

Tress

Tress

How many times do we have to say don't go down to the basement? I mean, really? What was the best case scenario for that course of action?

Shawn

Shawn

How many times do we have to say don't go down to the basement? I mean, really? What was the best case scenario for that course of action?
Blow on the conch and get Mer-men?

evilmike

evilmike

Despicable Me 2

evilmike

evilmike

A new international trailer for Kick Ass 2 which shows how Hit Girl survives cheerleader tryouts

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

My mom got us theater gift cards for Christmas, my aunts gave us free movie tickets, and my dad has sent us money to go to the movies. I appreciate all that, but there is nothing fucking playing. The former two sit in my wallet unused and the latter was spent on video games. My wife and I would love to go to the movies, it's an activity we enjoy, but we're not going to go for the sake of going. There has to be something to see.

This summer feels so weak, at least to start. I looked over IMDB for April releases--nothing I give a shit about. May? Iron Man 3, nothing else. June? Maybe Monsters Inc 2, with my cousins, but I really don't think it's going to be that great. Better that than Despicable Me 2, but still... July has Pacific Rim and maybe The Conjuring. August...

What the fuck? How did I not know there was a prequel to 300 being released? Not that I'm going to see it, but still, I thought we'd have heard of it. I'm sure we would have if Zack Snyder was still the director.

So Red 2, never saw the first, Kick-Ass 2, I don't see as being worth a theater run. Maybe I should just catch up on my rentals.

Okay what. There is a new Riddick movie coming in September? How am I not hearing of this stuff? I guess because I haven't been to the movies since The Hobbit so I haven't been saturated with trailers.

Woo boy, Sin City 2. It's been eight years. Eight years. In that time, Frank Miller has proven he should not be behind the camera, ever, and yet he's apparently co-directing with Robert Rodriguez? Or maybe it's just a token title. I hope it is. I have a feeling I'm past the point in my life where I'm going to find this kind of shit enjoyable and worth going to the movies to see, despite my love for the original.

Oldboy remake, Carrie remake. Wow, they finally got Ender's Game off the ground. I don't know if I'll see that. Despite the author's shitheadedness, I really do love that book and I don't know if I want to watch a movie do the story horribly.

Well, at least the year ends high. Thor: The Dark World, Hunger Games: Catching Fire (which will be known as the last good one), a new Disney animated film, and The Hobbit. I guess I should just save my theater gift cards for November and December.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

This year looks awesome from my perspective:

April- Evil Dead, Pain & Gain
May - Iron Man 3, Great Gatsby, Fast 6, Now You See Me
June - This is the End, White House Down, The Heat
July - Pacific Rim, The Wolverine
August - 2 Guns (might be good), Elysium, The World's End
September- Riddick, uhhhhhhhhhhhh
October - Gravity, Oldboy (BY SPIKE FUCKING LEE), Carrie (looks good, don't care, remakes own)
November - Ender's Game, Thor 2 (didn't really love the first, but this looks better), The Counselor (Ridley Scott directing a screenplay by CORMAC FUCKING MCCARTHY WHAT ARE YOU SERIOUS), Wolf of Wall Street (Scorcese + Dicaprio)
December - Hobbit 2, Anchorman 2, some other shit not set in stone yet

Shawn

Shawn

With a newborn in tow I'm probably going to have to wait for Iron Man 3 to bluray.

SOB!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

So Spike Lee is reinterpreting Oldboy? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I guess we'll see how that turns out.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

So Spike Lee is reinterpreting Oldboy? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I guess we'll see how that turns out.
what do you have against Spike Lee, he owns

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Nothing, it's more the idea of reinterpreting the movie than who's at the helm. I just don't feel like anything else needs to be said in terms of the story, so why mess with it?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Nothing, it's more the idea of reinterpreting the movie than who's at the helm. I just don't feel like anything else needs to be said in terms of the story, so why mess with it?
I don't see remakes as messing with it at all. Spike Lee has a much different directorial approach / way with a camera than Miike. All the main principal actors are also wildly different and I'd assume would bring something new / different to each role.

Tress

Tress

Thor 2 (didn't really love the first, but this looks better)
Is there a trailer somewhere that I'm missing?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Is there a trailer somewhere that I'm missing?
Nah, that was just response to general "this year sucks".

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I don't see remakes as messing with it at all. Spike Lee has a much different directorial approach / way with a camera than Miike. All the main principal actors are also wildly different and I'd assume would bring something new / different to each role.
In an interview he keeps calling it a "re-imagining," so on one hand he's kind of leaving the source alone and telling it how he wants to tell it, and on the other he's be taking the groundwork of this movie to turn it into something he wants to say. It could be good, who knows, there's not much to go on since he hasn't said much about the movie besides the cast. I'm just skeptical, I guess.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

With a newborn in tow I'm probably going to have to wait for Iron Man 3 to bluray.

SOB!
That's why duct tape was invented, friend.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Am I missing something? Oldboy was directed by Park Chan-wook.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Am I missing something? Oldboy was directed by Park Chan-wook.
WHOOPS.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I'd normally refrain, but because it's you Charlie...

...not all Asian directors look the same. :p

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

...I do not know how to feel about this. I mean, the original was a master-piece and I don't see how anyone could do it better. If it does come to fruition, I will probably not see it in theaters. Not because I think it will definitely be bad, but because I don't want to spoil the some-what creepy twist to the film.

Shawn

Shawn

That's why duct tape was invented, friend.
Yeah... but I'd have to set my wife free eventually...

evilmike

evilmike

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

...I do not know how to feel about this. I mean, the original was a master-piece and I don't see how anyone could do it better. If it does come to fruition, I will probably not see it in theaters. Not because I think it will definitely be bad, but because I don't want to spoil the some-what creepy twist to the film.
It's coming out this fall, it's a done deal. I think even done filming already. Starring Josh Brolin, Sharlito Copeley(sic)

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

It's coming out this fall, it's a done deal. I think even done filming already. Starring Josh Brolin, Sharlito Copeley(sic)
Oh...well I'll just wait until the reviews come out then.

evilmike

evilmike

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Saw the Carrie trailer before Evil Dead. was disappointed at how much it showed! I mean, I know what the big scenes are / what's coming, but I wanted to be a little surprised how they're filmed / shot

Dave

Dave

Saw the Carrie trailer before Evil Dead. was disappointed at how much it showed! I mean, I know what the big scenes are / what's coming, but I wanted to be a little surprised how they're filmed / shot
I was just thinking the same thing. Man, that trailer tells the WHOLE STORY! What about people who are younger and have never seen the original?

evilmike

evilmike

Catching Fire

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Ohhhhh.

So that's what The Hunger Games looks like when it's not filmed on the back of a rabid, seizuring dog!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

As an F1 fan, I can't wait for this one...

Shakey

Shakey

As an F1 fan, I can't wait for this one...

Holy crap I want to see that.

evilmike

evilmike

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Catching Fire
I really don't care for this approach. The acting and dialogue sound hokey and the characters are advancing beyond where they would be at this point in the story (particularly Katniss's sister). This is the best of the books and is kind of the Empire Strikes Back of the Hunger Games trilogy. I don't think the director of this one gets that.

My feeling is skip it, but I know my wife is going to make me go with her, even though she's feeling apprehensive over that trailer as well.

Just Me

Just Me

I came here to post this, looks happily entertainingly awesome as hell and also has Jeff Bridges!

Gryfter

Gryfter

Heh, that looks fun. Kinda reminds me of;

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Eh, I don't know. Ordinarily, this would be right up my alley, but it's so derivative that I'm just not digging it.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Reminds me of Men in Black.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It is derivative, but it looks fun and I'd be willing to give it a chance.

Frank

Frank

Man, I wish I would of thought of Dead Men in Black Like Me.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Man, I wish I would of thought of Dead Men in Black Like Me.
You read my mind.

evilmike

evilmike

Ender's Game

Tress

Tress

Hmmm. Cautiously interested.

Covar

Covar

Looks pretty. Also that's one hell of a spoiler.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Seems to me that might have to be a long-ass movie.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Hmmm. Cautiously interested.
This.

That voiceover was atrocious, but what little snippets we see at least look good. The core of the story is Ender, but they're of course not going to advertise it that way regardless of how the movie plays it.[DOUBLEPOST=1367962211][/DOUBLEPOST]
... sort of?

He uses the Little Doctor more than once, I thought.

GasBandit

GasBandit

He uses the Little Doctor more than once, I thought.
Only once on a planet, the formic homeworld. All the others were on ships in space. Though really, it's only a spoiler for anyone who has already read the book and knows what he's looking at. Otherwise it's just more pew pew boom.

fade

fade

Yeah, wasn't the fact that they were
actually fighting
kind of the big reveal in the book? It's been a long time since I read it, but it seems to me that was the Shyamalan Twist.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Only once on a planet, the formic homeworld. All the others were on ships in space. Though really, it's only a spoiler for anyone who has already read the book and knows what he's looking at. Otherwise it's just more pew pew boom.
Which seems to be what the trailer was selling.

Yeah, wasn't the fact that they were
actually fighting
kind of the big reveal in the book? It's been a long time since I read it, but it seems to me that was the Shyamalan Twist.
Correct. But like Gas said, it's just imagery to someone who hasn't read the book.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I bet they have to write Locke and Demosthenes out completely in the interests of time.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I bet they have to write Locke and Demosthenes out completely in the interests of time.
Ugh.

Piotyr

Piotyr

The World's End (don't think I can embed), latest project from Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Edgar Wright:

http://video.uk.msn.com/watch/video/exclusive-the-world-s-end-trailer/2t5faj5e

blotsfan

blotsfan

I enjoyed those scenes in the book, but I don't think they would translate well to film anyways. Not to mention how they're the least realistic part of the story.

Covar

Covar

I seem to remember reading that OSC stated the Locke and Demosthenes subplot was going to be excluded because it's hard to make an exciting film about two people typing on keyboards.[DOUBLEPOST=1368032339][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm figuring that they're going to remove the ending/epilogue from the movie to focus on the training games and bugger fights.

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

figmentPez

figmentPez

Men In Black with ghosts instead of aliens? Sign me up.

Dave

Dave

That's exactly the feel I got from it, Pez. Men in Black with dead people instead of aliens. And no annoying Fresh Prince.

Covar

Covar

That's exactly the feel I got from it, Pez. Men in Black with dead people instead of aliens. And no annoying Fresh Prince.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

And no annoying Fresh Prince.
Will Smith is a national treasure

Dave

Dave

Will Smith is a national treasure
Good. Maybe Nicholas Cage will steal him and we won't have to worry about it any more. Don't get me wrong, I like Will Smith well enough, but once you've seen him in a genre, you've seen every character he'll play in that genre. And between genres there's only slight differential.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Good. Maybe Nicholas Cage will steal him and we won't have to worry about it any more. Don't get me wrong, I like Will Smith well enough, but once you've seen him in a genre, you've seen every character he'll play in that genre. And between genres there's only slight differential.
But is that really a criticism? I mean, it's also true of Arnold Schwartzenegger, Brian Dennehy, Peter Lorre, John Wayne, Humphrey Bogart and countless other character actors.

Dave

Dave

But is that really a criticism? I mean, it's also true of Arnold Schwartzenegger, Brian Dennehy, Peter Lorre, John Wayne, Humphrey Bogart and countless other character actors.
Yes. Yes it is.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yes. Yes it is.
So you didn't feel the need to ever see more than 1 each of the movies by those other actors?

MindDetective

MindDetective

And between genres there's only slight differential.
I gotta disagree on this one. His performance in Pursuit of Happyness or Seven pounds was very different than Bad Boys or Men in Black.

Dave

Dave

I gotta disagree on this one. His performance in Pursuit of Happyness or Seven pounds was very different than Bad Boys or Men in Black.
Notice I said a film from each genre. Each action movie he's the same, each buddy cop movie he's the same, etc.

So you didn't feel the need to ever see more than 1 each of the movies by those other actors?
I'll see them, just like I do for Keanu Reeves, but that doesn't mean I won't go, "Oh, there's X playing X again."

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Notice I said a film from each genre. Each action movie he's the same, each buddy cop movie he's the same, etc.
But you also said between genres the difference is slight; that's what MD was taking issue with, that maybe the roles are similar within genres, but his roles in dramas are more than just slightly different than his roles in action movies.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Which is why I targeted that specific statement from your post.

Dave

Dave

I dig it. You're right on those movies. But that makes the other stuff he's done even worse. He's got the talent but he just never uses it.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm defending Will Smith lightly here, but I will never forgive him for turning down Django

figmentPez

figmentPez

Good. Maybe Nicholas Cage will steal him and we won't have to worry about it any more.
I love Will Smith in a lot of stuff, including MIB, but this joke is excellent snark.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm defending Will Smith lightly here, but I will never forgive him for turning down Django
After seeing Jamie Foxx blow it out of the water, I'm kinda glad he did.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I can't say much about this because I've not seen the movie yet. I want to thank Will Smith for turning it down, because Jamie Foxx is much more talented. And I knew him in high school.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

I dig it. You're right on those movies. But that makes the other stuff he's done even worse. He's got the talent but he just never uses it.
Except that the fact he did those movies MD mentioned means he does use that talent. In fact, those are some of his latest movies, which generally, other than MIB 3, have him play something other than the "type" that you're complaining about. It's just that he doesn't do a lot of movies anymore.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Except that the fact he did those movies MD mentioned means he does use that talent. In fact, those are some of his latest movies, which generally, other than MIB 3, have him play something other than the "type" that you're complaining about. It's just that he doesn't do a lot of movies anymore.
Well, he certainly didn't buck the trend with Men In Black 3, but I'm sure I, Robot 2, Hancock 2, and Bad Boys 3 will all have him playing very different roles than he did in I, Robot, Hancock and Bad Boys.

(I don't actually mind Will Smith.... most of the time).

GasBandit

GasBandit

willsmithisagenre.com

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

not one person did anything resembling "talent" in Seven Pounds[DOUBLEPOST=1368131815][/DOUBLEPOST]Don't get me wrong. Jamie Foxx was AWESOME in Django. But Will Smith turned it down because he thought the German Bounty Hunter character got too many lines / was a co-lead which is just kind of .... weird/stupid/terrible

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Well, he certainly didn't buck the trend with Men In Black 3, but I'm sure I, Robot 2, Hancock 2, and Bad Boys 3 will all have him playing very different roles than he did in I, Robot, Hancock and Bad Boys.
And the assumption that those movies will actually be made is based on...? And doing MIB 3 somehow takes away from the other movies he's done how?

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

Time to move on...

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

And the assumption that those movies will actually be made is based on...? And doing MIIB 3 somehow takes away from the other movies he's done how?
Bad Boys 3 and Hancock 2 have both been confirmed in development, with Will Smith saying he's interested. So it'll happen. Just a matter of when. I Robot 2 though, is only in the faintest of rumours right now. Independence Day 2 and 3 will probably happen first.

And because you stated that Pursuit of Happyness and Seven Pounds were some of his most recent films, but MIB 3 is his MOST recent. This certainly doesn't negate his work in those two movies, (and I never said it did), but it does illustrate that your implied argument that the trend is changing with his characters is entirely fictional. Especially with Hancock inbetween. If anything, it illustrates a pattern in his roles going back to Ali and The Legend of Bagger Vance.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Bad Boys 3 and Hancock 2 have both been confirmed in development, with Will Smith saying he's interested. So it'll happen. Just a matter of when. I Robot 2 though, is only in the faintest of rumours right now. Independence Day 2 and 3 will probably happen first.

And because you stated that Pursuit of Happyness and Seven Pounds were some of his most recent films, but MIB 3 is his MOST recent. This certainly doesn't negate his work in those two movies, (and I never said it did), but it does illustrate that your implied argument that the trend is changing with his characters is entirely fictional. Especially with Hancock inbetween. If anything, it illustrates a pattern in his roles going back to Ali and The Legend of Bagger Vance.
His last 5 movies:
MIB 3
Seven Pounds
Hancock
I Am Legend
The Pursuit of Happyness

Of them, maybe 2 follow the old trend. Throw in After Earth, where by all accounts he's playing a stern, cold, miltary type, and I think I am quite justified by saying he in recent years generally plays something other than his old type.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Time to move on...

Well, that took an unexpected turn. I like it!

re: Will Smith

Like many actors, he's type cast in a lot of things. That doesn't mean he has no talent. That said, I wish he'd stop buying movies for his kids.

Tress

Tress

That said, I wish he'd stop buying movies for his kids.
This. A thousand times this.

MindDetective

MindDetective

He does do it, but his kid is getting pretty good...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

So, um, yeah. This looks pretty outstanding.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ground control to Sandra Bullock! Your circuit's dead! There's something wrong! Can you hear me, Sandra Bullock? Can you hear me, Sandra Bullock?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, um, yeah. This looks pretty outstanding.

It's like Michael Bay directed Apollo 13.

Dave

Dave

Well I guess we've seen all we need to see of THAT movie.

Covar

Covar

Is someone on this board really complaining/giving will smith shit for playing the same kind of character in a SEQUEL? :facepalm:

Dave

Dave

I'm actually impressed by the way he acts (mostly) in sequels. In MiBII he was on top of the game and knew what he was doing. Gone was the confused agent in training. At least until they brought K back in. Then he went back to the same character from the first movie. I blame the script more than anything but it made no sense at all.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It's like Michael Bay directed Apollo 13.
Wow, we saw entirely different trailers, man. There's no way Bay could make a movie look that good.

Tress

Tress

Wow, we saw entirely different trailers, man. There's no way Bay could make a movie look that good.
You're in the wrong thread. This is the one for endlessly bitching about movies, apparently.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Is someone on this board really complaining/giving will smith shit for playing the same kind of character in a SEQUEL? :facepalm:
I think you entirely misconstrued my point. My point wasn't that he played the same character in a sequel (That's... obvious and silly). My point was the idea that he doesn't do those roles anymore, when he is so keen on doing sequels to movies where he plays those roles, is rubbish.
I'll also point out, I stated sincerely that I don't actually mind this about him at all. I enjoy Men in Black, I enjoyed... well.... half of Hancock anyway (I've expressed before that movie was strange and was tonally two very different movies, each of which were interesting takes on the superhero genre but which did not mesh well together) , I enjoyed Independence Day. I have no issue with actors playing essentially the same roles. If that's what people want to see you in, then why not continue to do it?

Anyway, Ravenpoe knows what's up, as ever, and I will say no more on this because this is probably the second or third stupidest argument I've seen on these boards going back all the way to the Image Forum days and I am ashamed in myself for being a part of it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

You're in the wrong thread. This is the one for endlessly bitching about movies, apparently.
I wasn't bitching. I never said Michael Bay directing Apollo 13 was a bad thing.

Espy

Espy

Anyone who doesn't give an Alfonso Cuaron movie a chance is dead to me. The man is one of the best film directors out there, and he doesn't do a ton of films so when he does, it's going to be great.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

I think you entirely misconstrued my point. My point wasn't that he played the same character in a sequel (That's... obvious and silly). My point was the idea that he doesn't do those roles anymore, when he is so keen on doing sequels to movies where he plays those roles, is rubbish.
...I have no idea why you argued with me then, given that I never said he didn't do those roles anymore, even going so far as to point out a movie in which he did play such a role. :confused:

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Time to move on...

So. Much. WANT!

fade

fade

http://nerdbastards.com/2013/05/13/...et-plus-more-pics-of-joel-kinnaman-as-murphy/

I wonder if it will still be a moral play about unchecked capitalism and corruption thinly wrapped in a sci-fi/action shell, or if it's going for pure dumb action.

Tress

Tress

http://nerdbastards.com/2013/05/13/...et-plus-more-pics-of-joel-kinnaman-as-murphy/

I wonder if it will still be a moral play about unchecked capitalism and corruption thinly wrapped in a sci-fi/action shell, or if it's going for pure dumb action.
Judging by the way some remakes have been lately, I imagine it will be dumb action. Which is a pity.

Gryfter

Gryfter

New Riddick

GasBandit

GasBandit

So is this a prequel or sequel to perfect dark? Obviously it's not a sequel to Chronicles.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So is this a prequel or sequel to perfect dark? Obviously it's not a sequel to Chronicles.
They did a prequel to Perfect Dark, it was called Perfect Dark Zero and it was on the N64, I'm pretty sure.

:p

Considering the end of Pitch Black, I'm thinking prequel. Also, the mountain he's looking at at one point is shaped like the head of one of the creatures from Pitch Black. Not sure if that's relevant.

GasBandit

GasBandit

They did a prequel to Perfect Dark, it was called Perfect Dark Zero and it was on the N64, I'm pretty sure.

:p

Considering the end of Pitch Black, I'm thinking prequel. Also, the mountain he's looking at at one point is shaped like the head of one of the creatures from Pitch Black. Not sure if that's relevant.
Yeah, Vin Deisel was hella hot in Perfect Dark >_< "Womp womp"

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

"Screw it, let's just do the same setting as Pitch Black, but still make Riddick the hero instead of what made him interesting: a criminal asshole who winds up being the key to survival for a bunch of good people."

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dave

Dave

That looks much better than the Riddick one, which essentially showed us most of the movie.

My prediction on Riddick: He will fight and get captured because he wants to, then he'll be the only survivor save one special person (probably a girl) and the whole time he'll be putting on and taking off the goggles, which do nothing more that to show how dramatic and serious he is in the moment.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Can't wait for the eventual Sin City 2 trailer.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

*sob* Why? WHY DO THESE KEEP GETTING MADE?!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

There is no god.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Because meatheads still spend money to go see them. Lots and lots of meatheads.

Frank

Frank

Whoa....now...don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the Scary Movie brand of barely parody, but that makes Scary Movie look like fucking Airplane in comparison.

Kovac

Kovac

It seems like it was made by people who had heard of humor and jokes and yet had no understanding of what they are or how they should be used.

And instead of giving up and moving on they just throw as much crap at the screen as possible and hope that some of it sticks.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Spoof movies are fucking dead. Even worse than the crammed in pop culture references, look at the cinematography! My god, what was their budget a freakin' shoe box full of ones?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Spoof movies are fucking dead. Even worse than the crammed in pop culture references, look at the cinematography! My god, what was their budget a freakin' shoe box full of ones?

Avatar references. Now that's topical and current!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Avatar references. Now that's topical and current!
Damn straight, I haven't even thought about that movie in years. Its pretty much replaced The Matrix as the movie that TV and movies keep making fun of years after it was popular.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

At least Matrix had a couple sequels come out right after. Is there even any traction on the Avatar 2/3 other than a twinkle in James Cameron's eye?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I've heard as much as 2014 from this site and this site. PROBABLE release dates of course, and thats a big probable.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

At least Matrix had a couple sequels come out right after. Is there even any traction on the Avatar 2/3 other than a twinkle in James Cameron's eye?

It was four years before the Matrix sequels. We're on year four now for the Avatar sequel. So what?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Four years, really? Now that I think about it, those films have A LOT in common. Both are technological breakthroughs in terms of cinematography, both have just okay plots(I liked Matrix as a kid, but can't watch it now without sleeping) and both are still made fun of in TVs and movies even though they came out years ago(which I've stated four posts above but felt like retyping because I like typing and my hands feel better). Weird.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Dude, The Matrix was and is one of the better-written, original sci-fi movies in ages. Certainly a lot less derivative than Avatar. And I'm not talking just "Ferngully in space," an argument I hate because it shares a story archtype, but still does some new stuff. Moreso in the designs in the movie, like the mechs looking straight out of Aliens and the flying machines out of the Terminator movies.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I wouldn't say its that original a story since Grant Morrison's "The Invisibles" came out five years before and incorporated a lot of the spiritual concepts of reality and conspiracy that were also in "The Matrix", with much better prose. There are also some who think the Matrix ripped off a bit from The Invisibles, hell look at King Mob! The dude looks like a bald Neo with sunglasses(yes I know he was actually bald, but he didn't wear sunglasses that much in the real world so HA)! Either that or Morrison's hyper-sygil worked and merely inspired the Wachowskis with-out them knowing.