[Question] The welfare system, how and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is more of an econ question than a political or religions question, but it's one of those extremely touchy subjects, and it's likely to become political whatever my intentions. Also, I'm not questioning the validity of the welfare system, or who should qualify, or whether or not people should have to be drug tested, or any of that.

I simply want to know how and when the welfare system came into being. Is this one of those programs from before the McCarthy era? Is it something left over from the Great Depression? Was it a product of the recession of the 70's? Did we create the program back when we were drafting men into the military, as a way to compensate women and children whose only income just disappeared because of whichever war we were fighting at the time?

It's more of a history question than an economics question. The US has always had some kind of general welfare fund. Social security as you know it is more a creation of the Great Depression, circa 1935.

Welfare in general was created by one of the most conservative/reactionary political figures in history, Otto von Bismark. He started Germany's (Prussia's) system in response to the wave of revolution that swept Europe in 1848.

Status
Not open for further replies.