[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

I decided to just pull the trigger and make a new separate non-anime animation thread. so come one, come all and talk about your love of all non-animu animations. I hear good things about that Steven Universe fellow.

New Gravity Falls in a few weeks!
I still don't understand what Disney is thinking with this series. They clearly have interest in it but seem to have no desire to actually schedule it rationally. StevenBombs are great because we get almost 40+ episodes a year of SU, but we're lucky if we get 18 of Gravity Falls. I almost wonder if they only keep it around because they know people like it, but the executive in charge doesn't get it and kind of just wants to kill the show. Sort of like Tremors: The Series was before it's executive went crazy.

So yeah... new Gravity Falls in something like two weeks and 1 week until StevenBomb 3.

Oops. I made a Steven Universe thread because I missed this; the title was so similar to the Anime thread that my eyes glazed over it as being the same.

Other thread got eaten while I was replying to it. :(

Hey, now. all I said was that *I* don't watch Steven Universe.

And that I haven't seen, and probably won't see, Mad Max.

For the simple reasons that it's a stretch for me to turn on the TV or go to the movies... at all. :p :(

I deleted mine, but can the thread title be changed to be more distinct please?[DOUBLEPOST=1436238469,1436238390][/DOUBLEPOST]
Other thread got eaten while I was replying to it. :(

Hey, now. all I said was that *I* don't watch Steven Universe.

And that I haven't seen, and probably won't see, Mad Max.

For the simple reasons that it's a stretch for me to turn on the TV or go to the movies... at all. :p :(
Sorry I killed the thread while you were telling us you don't watch the thing the thread was about :p. Been taking posting tips from Nick, eh?

I deleted mine, but can the thread title be changed to be more distinct please?[DOUBLEPOST=1436238469,1436238390][/DOUBLEPOST]

Sorry I killed the thread while you were telling us you don't watch the thing the thread was about :p. Been taking tips from Nick, eh?
It seems the whole thing snowballed from a tumblr post I made this morning. Then Ash asked me on twitter if I was catching flack about it, and maybe new threads were in order. And then a couple hours later... POOF! :)

give me fun suggestions and I will gladly change it. I just used the first naming convention that came to mind, you should really blame @Dave.
I always blame him. It's a youngling thing.

Maybe just Animation Thread? Animation That Isn't Anime Trash thread :p? Or it can still keep the Electric Bugaloo subtitle; it's just that:

The What Anime Are You Watching Thread
The What Animation Are You Watching Thread

Aren't super-quick eye-catching differences to me when skimming the recently updated threads, especially when both are made by the same user, so the same avatar shows up. That's probably just a me thing.

I always blame him. It's a youngling thing.

Maybe just Animation Thread? Animation That Isn't Anime Trash thread :p? Or it can still keep the Electric Bugaloo subtitle; it's just that:

The What Anime Are You Watching Thread
The What Animation Are You Watching Thread

Aren't super-quick eye-catching differences to me when skimming the recently updated threads, especially when both are made by the same user, so the same avatar shows up. That's probably just a me thing.
or ya know you could just be more observant :3 Ill let others weigh in on what they want it called and we can poll the unwashed masses, and then ill cut and paste it to be something else.

or ya know you could just be more observant :3 Ill let others weigh in on what they want it called and we can poll the unwashed masses, and then ill cut and paste it to be something else.
Immediately after I posted the above, I went back to the Media forum, saw that the colors weren't faded out, and thought "oh, there's a new post already," and then realized it was the anime thread. It's fucking me up. I appreciate your understanding. It makes more sense to you to have it all uniform I'm guessing?

I just got caught up to date with Steven Universe. That show is so charming and likable. I never really went ga-ga over Adventure Time like most people did, but I absolutely ADORE Steven Universe.
I think what makes SU so much different is that every episode feels relevant in the grand scheme of things, even if only because it furthers characterization. Adventure Time doesn't have this because half of the episodes are just fun stand alones, meaning the people who are ONLY in the show for the interesting story aren't engaged half the season. The smaller cast helps too because everyone gets a day in the limelight. Fuck, even the PIZZA FAMILY has an episode.

I think what makes SU so much different is that every episode feels relevant in the grand scheme of things, even if only because it furthers characterization. Adventure Time doesn't have this because half of the episodes are just fun stand alones, meaning the people who are ONLY in the show for the interesting story aren't engaged half the season. The smaller cast helps too because everyone gets a day in the limelight. Fuck, even the PIZZA FAMILY has an episode.
I enjoy Adventure Time as it is, but yeah, if you're in it for the story and lore, you need to sift through a lot of goofiness and unimportant stuff to reach it. Sometimes it's just a line or two in an episode. Steven Universe can pretend it's like that--Lion 3 may seem like it just brings the important stuff in at the end. But in later episodes, it turns out everything from that episode was important; it just didn't seem that way at the time.

This is an incredibly well-crafted show. Whenever someone starts a cancellation rumor, I get nervous because it feels too good to exist.

I enjoy Adventure Time as it is, but yeah, if you're in it for the story and lore, you need to sift through a lot of goofiness and unimportant stuff to reach it. Sometimes it's just a line or two in an episode. Steven Universe can pretend it's like that--Lion 3 may seem like it just brings the important stuff in at the end. But in later episodes, it turns out everything from that episode was important; it just didn't seem that way at the time.

This is an incredibly well-crafted show. Whenever someone starts a cancellation rumor, I get nervous because it feels too good to exist.
It actually got two more seasons during the first season, so we've got at least a year and half of it still. It's just that CN understands the heavy, serial nature of the show so we tend to get it in big chunks like StevenBombs instead of long weeks of it during the summer. We're getting a StevenBomb next week, and I wouldn't be surprised if we got another when the fall schedule is finalized to get the kids caught up.

It's far more likely Gravity Falls is getting the axe, despite it's viewership and popularity. Disney isn't willing to pay for too many half hour episodes and the creator isn't willing to cut them in half and do 15 minute ones for story reasons.

I lost interest in Adventure Time because it seemed like they lost track of what they wanted the show to be. It had a decent balance of story and whimsy but over the last year or two seems to have just gone off the rails.

I lost interest in Adventure Time because it seemed like they lost track of what they wanted the show to be. It had a decent balance of story and whimsy but over the last year or two seems to have just gone off the rails.
That probably had a lot to do with Pendleton Ward leaving.

When did Pendelton Ward leave?
Sometime in 2014. He really just couldn't handle the stress of dealing with the stuff OTHER than the show, like marketing and toys and such. Rebecca Sugar explicitly left to make Steven Universe after CN saw her pilot.

Pendleton does some web shows though, like Bravest Warriors.

Slightly tangent to this, every time I watch Steven Universe and see Ian Jones-Quartey's name pop-up, I keep thinking, "I know him from somewhere. Was he a classmate? No...". I just realized now he's the same guy that did the webcomic RPG World. I used to love that comic!

Slightly tangent to this, every time I watch Steven Universe and see Ian Jones-Quartey's name pop-up, I keep thinking, "I know him from somewhere. Was he a classmate? No...". I just realized now he's the same guy that did the webcomic RPG World. I used to love that comic!
I remember that comic! He got to just before the climax, and then abruptly stopped. Kept saying for the longest time he'd get back to finish it; never found out if he ever did. But I'm glad he got somewhere with his talents.

Wow I remember that comic. My brother and I still shout THE ANCIENT CAVE IS TO THE NORTH when we see stupid lines in games we're playing.