Thinking about getting a DS

I'm in the states for about 2 days for my sisters wedding and I'm thinking about picking up a DS. If I did, I'd have to choose games carefully because the DS is region locked and I won't be able to pick up anything new until I come back to the states again. That being said, if you had to pick 2 or 3 essential DS titles that could keep you occupied for a while, what would they be?

Any Zelda, any prof. Layton, chrono trigger(def this one). Pokemon platinum, I enjoyed worms 2

Is Chrono trigger the same as the SNES one? I mean, I've played it a dozen times as it is.
It has some added content, as well as a new translation, as the original translation was a little off in places. Some people like the new translation, some don't because it isn't exactly how they remember it, but I thought it was just fine.

Are you getting a DS and not a 3DS? Because the DS is -not- region locked. The only region locking in the DS era of handhelds is that some downloadable games on the DSi were region locked, some wifi games were region locked to which servers you could connect to, and some chinese titles made for the i-something shit DS that was released in China will not work on the DS, because it doesn't have the appropriate characters.

Though, since you are in China, maybe that's what you meant. Though, you're in the software piracy capital of the world, you could always just get a flashcart and download every game.[DOUBLEPOST=1394784047,1394783737][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, The World Ends With You. Amazing jRPG that manages to not be a boring jrpg.

I still listen to the soundtrack.

I'm in the states for about 2 days for my sisters wedding and I'm thinking about picking up a DS. If I did, I'd have to choose games carefully because the DS is region locked and I won't be able to pick up anything new until I come back to the states again. That being said, if you had to pick 2 or 3 essential DS titles that could keep you occupied for a while, what would they be?
The DS isn't region locked. It will play games from any game except China and only because it doesn't have a certain chip to display the Chinese characters. The Chinese iQue DS can still play everything though. I KNOW the 3DS is locked though, so only buy it for a region you're going to have good access to games from.

As for DS games...
- The World Ends With You
- Elite Beat Agents
- Basically any Square Enix game remake.
- Any Professor Layton game.

If you meant 3DS, I wouldn't be the one to ask. I STILL haven't bought a 3DS title.

I bought a 3Ds XL. Based on the games thee, I picked up link between worlds, Pokemon Y and bravely default. That should do it for a while I guess.

I bought a 3Ds XL. Based on the games thee, I picked up link between worlds, Pokemon Y and bravely default. That should do it for a while I guess.
Oh, a 3DS. You need to specify :p there are different DS systems. DS and 3DS aren't just variations--they're different generations of handheld.

Those three should keep you busy for a bit. Fire Emblem Awakening is another great game on that system. Also, Mario Kart 7 if you like Mario Kart games, although playing it online can be ... humbling.

There are actually a number of 3DS games I'd recommend, but some depend on what you're into.

Well, I just found out that this month there is a promotion to get a free Pokemon X/Y download code if you bought a DS/3DS and one of 7 select games. Wish I had known that before I paid for Y. On the other hand, I can pick up Mario land 3D and get Pokemon X and have them both. That's kind of a win.

Speaking of pokemon---I havent played a pokemon game since Red/Blue--unless you count the N64 Pokemon stadium. I'm both amused at how much hasn't changed (same basic starting pokemon types, bug-filled starter zone, tentacool infested water) and how much is going way over my head, like the idea of breeding, temperaments, all these little "training" mini games that seem like a grindfest, ect. That being said, It's addicting as hell. I always kind of wonder just how many "useless" pokemon there are floating around at this point. I'm sure there's a metagame list out there that probably lists the majority as not worth training, which always seemed to me to defeat the purpose of a game with such a diverse cast of creatures.

Well, I just found out that this month there is a promotion to get a free Pokemon X/Y download code if you bought a DS/3DS and one of 7 select games. Wish I had known that before I paid for Y. On the other hand, I can pick up Mario land 3D and get Pokemon X and have them both. That's kind of a win.

Speaking of pokemon---I havent played a pokemon game since Red/Blue--unless you count the N64 Pokemon stadium. I'm both amused at how much hasn't changed (same basic starting pokemon types, bug-filled starter zone, tentacool infested water) and how much is going way over my head, like the idea of breeding, temperaments, all these little "training" mini games that seem like a grindfest, ect. That being said, It's addicting as hell. I always kind of wonder just how many "useless" pokemon there are floating around at this point. I'm sure there's a metagame list out there that probably lists the majority as not worth training, which always seemed to me to defeat the purpose of a game with such a diverse cast of creatures.
There a very few "useless" Pokemon unless you are talking competitive battling... and even then it's only because certain types and moves tend to dominate the metagame. For instance, Stealth Rock was killer one generation, so if your Pokmon wasn't strong or at least not weak to Rock, it was basically worthless.

That said, there are a handful of Pokemon that are so strong that to not use them is kind of dumb.

I've only played a little of Black 1, and I pretty much go with whatever 'mons looks coolest in their evolved forms, along with getting a decent variety of types. Pokemon was always my "nothing better to do" game, so I never took it very seriously.

Smogon, one of the big names in competitive pokemon battling, uses a tier list so that all pokemon can be used. Some pokemon are just downright stronger than others, and thus are in a higher tier. So pretty much every pokemon can be used in competitive battling, if one of your favorites is on the weaker end of things, you can always build a team around their tier and not have to worry about someone with all legendaries sweeping your team.