Export thread

Thor: The Dark World

evilmike

evilmike

AICN is reporting that Christopher Eccleston has been cast in the new Thor movie as...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Never even heard of him. Then again, I'm not a big Thor fan, so I just assume he doesn't really have many decent villains outside of Loki. Almost every Thor story I've read has had Loki involved in a major role.

LittleSin

LittleSin

He's a dark elf that it literally half dead, half alive and can get away with some freaky shit because of it.

I only know this because of Avengers: EMH.

Also, Jet saw the pic and knew who it was before I did.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

That sounds stupid, but DON'T CARE, ECCELSTON!

LittleSin

LittleSin

Can...can Eccelston pull off hair?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Never even heard of him. ...
My first thought was, "YOU NEVER HEARD OF ECCELSTON?!?!?!?!!111???1"

Covar

Covar

Isn't he the guy who gave up a role of a lifetime to start in bit roles for crappy TV and horrible movies?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It probably pays better...

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Not going to lie to you guys, I don't know who either that half elf, or the guy playing him are.

Looked him up on imdb. Only thing he's been in I've seen was 28 Days Later.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Eh.

Bowielee

Bowielee

/delurk

christopher_eccleston_malekith.jpg

/relurk

BananaHands

BananaHands

Frank

Frank

Hey Bowie, man, we (I do anyway, not in a position to speak for everyone) like it when you post.

Don't gotta lurk.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Love everything that Marvel Productions has put out thus far, will obviously be enjoying this.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

BOWIELEE used TELEPORT!
BOWIELEE got away!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

My only concern is Kenneth Branagh brought this amazing, epic scale feeling to the first Thor movie. I'm worried that, since he's not in the second, we won't get that same epicness.

Tress

Tress

My only concern is Kenneth Branagh brought this amazing, epic scale feeling to the first Thor movie. I'm worried that, since he's not in the second, we won't get that same epicness.
While I share your concern somewhat, I did like hearing that the new director plans to give this film a more "Viking feel" than the previous blend of Norse mythology and cosmic wonder-tech. I'm totally down with that.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Ooh, I hadn't heard that. Okay, my hopes just got raised a little.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Can...can Eccelston pull off hair?
I think he's already done all the pulling he can do.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I feel that Branagh got the epic scale right, but he didn't make Thor actually feel much like a superpowered hero. I remember griping that the climactic battle in the movie, which involved a freaking GOD OF THUNDER on one side, basically came down to a fistfight. Why isn't Thor summoning lightning against Loki? Why isn't Loki blasting Thor with his frost giant powers? It's like the director created this magnificent canvas and then forgot to paint on it.

Still though, I liked the first Thor well enough, and I'll definitely be seeing the sequel.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I feel that Branagh got the epic scale right, but he didn't make Thor actually feel much like a superpowered hero. I remember griping that the climactic battle in the movie, which involved a freaking GOD OF THUNDER on one side, basically came down to a fistfight. Why isn't Thor summoning lightning against Loki? Why isn't Loki blasting Thor with his frost giant powers? It's like the director created this magnificent canvas and then forgot to paint on it.

Still though, I liked the first Thor well enough, and I'll definitely be seeing the sequel.
After first viewing, I felt a bit underwhelmed as well, but after second viewing, I now the fewer powers approach to the final battle; it seemed more focused on what was going on between the two of them.

evilmike

evilmike

Alice Krige has been added to the cast of T:tDW in what is described as a "small role". No word on who (or what) she is playing, but there has already been a lot of speculation. The likely choices are: Alflyse, queen of the dark elves; Hela, goddess of death; or even Death, as a setup for Guardians of the Galaxy/Avengers 2.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Alice Krige has been added to the cast of T:tDW in what is described as a "small role". No word on who (or what) she is playing, but there has already been a lot of speculation. The likely choices are: Alflyse, queen of the dark elves; Hela, goddess of death; or even Death, as a setup for Guardians of the Galaxy/Avengers 2.
Really don't see them using Hela, mostly because the movies have presented Loki a bit differently then the comics, and it may be weird to suddenly meet his daughter and attempting to explain the whole cycle of Ragnarok. (Also, I just can't see Hela having a "small role")

I don't think they will go as far as to present "Death" as an actual entity, as that goes a bit farther into the whole Death and Eternity cosmic order. Thanos will obviously see Death as an entity, but we will never see if the entity is "real" or just something caused by delusions.

Alfyse seems the most likely candidate, considering Malekith is involved.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

If they explain that Ragnarok is a cycle, it will shut up the people saying that the Norse mythology in the first movie creates a plot hole.

evilmike

evilmike

Variety is reporting that Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, aka Mr. Eko from Lost / Simon Adebisi on Oz, has been cast as Algrim the Strong of the Dark Elves.

Algrim became the being known as Kurse.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Now I remember how Liefield caught on.

Norris

Norris

Now I remember how Liefield caught on.
THAT IS A WALT SIMONSON DESIGN. Walt Simonson is a treasure who (arguably?) did more to create the mythos of Thor than Lee & Kirby. Rob Liefeld created Youngblood. Link their names again and I will be forced to...think...you...have very little understanding of comics.

Yeah. That'll show you.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

That just looks like more terrible Marvel 70's-80's design... so Rob's work did look fresh and new, no matter how talentless he was.

Covar

Covar

more terrible Marvel 70's-80's design
:confused:

evilmike

evilmike

Unsubstantiated rumor of the day:
Thor 2 will have a Doctor Strange cameo. (via The Playlist)

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Unsubstantiated rumor of the day:
Thor 2 will have a Doctor Strange cameo. (via The Playlist)
I've heard not just a cameo, but a major player in the plot.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Makes sense. "The Dark World" makes me think this one is going to be rather mystical, so if you had to have a hero cameo, why not the Sorcerer Supreme?

I just hope we get an Amora the Enchantress character or cameo. RAWR.

evilmike

evilmike

A few pictures from Bleeding Cool:

Also, found on Tumblr:

evilmike

evilmike

Splash has some new pictures of the enemy including what I assume to be the first glimpses of
Malekith

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Dang, this is looking pretty sweet. Can't even tell that's Eccelston in there.

Frank

Frank

I hope it's more enjoyable than the first one. Thor was....very paint by numbers.

Digging deep into the batshit looney Marvel Thor's crazy nutso bastardized Norse mythology is definitely a good place to start.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I liked the first one just fine, but I'm really looking forward to the second one.

Refer back to the Bowielee's Theory of Super Hero Movie Sequels:

The second movie of a Super Hero Franchise will almost always be the best as it no longer has to do the origin/setup of the characters and it is before the studios interfere and make them bad.

Now that Marvel has it's own studio, though, who knows if this will be the case any longer.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I also liked the first Thor, it was not as strong as some of the others, but I had a lot of fun with it. The only issue it has was being a lot slower then the others when it came to action, but I think it worked for his origin.

evilmike

evilmike

A couple of relevant screen shots from the Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One – Avengers Assembled Blu-ray Collector’s Set (via FBTB, IGN)

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm there. Day one.[DOUBLEPOST=1365022498][/DOUBLEPOST]Funny story about Thor. The Thor comic is what got me interested in mythology. It was my gateway drug into Greek/Roman mythology and I've been fascinated by them ever since.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Have not seen the first movie yet, but did see the Avengers over the weekend. And in that film Thor and Loki go toe to toe in a physical fight, that I found very weird and not cannon to the comics. Does that occur in Thor 1?

Frank

Frank

The rumble in the jungle in the first flick too.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Have not seen the first movie yet, but did see the Avengers over the weekend. And in that film Thor and Loki go toe to toe in a physical fight, that I found very weird and not cannon to the comics. Does that occur in Thor 1?
Yep, they do.

I justified it to myself by saying that Thor's holding back against Loki in the Avengers, because Loki's his brother. Only after Loki enrages him does Thor deliver a straight beatdown.

No such excuse in the first film though. They're pretty evenly matched in that battle.

evilmike

evilmike

Yep, they do.

I justified it to myself by saying that Thor's holding back against Loki in the Avengers, because Loki's his brother. Only after Loki enrages him does Thor deliver a straight beatdown.

No such excuse in the first film though. They're pretty evenly matched in that battle.
Actually, both times Loki potentially has some form of external boost in power. In the Avengers, it's from the soul gem.
In Thor, for most of that fight, he is wielding the Odinspear. Notice how easily Thor is able to restrain Loki once he is separated from the spear.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Isn't he the guy who gave up a role of a lifetime to start in bit roles for crappy TV and horrible movies?
Which role did he give up? Also, I don't immediately know who the actor is. I don't watch that silly show. :hide:

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Which role did he give up?
the Doctor in Doctor Who. He was the actor they used to bring the show back and left after a single season. Mostly because it was set up as lets see if this is popular and we'll only get minor actors for small contracts and then suddenly bammo!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Now, where did I lay that pitchfork?

fade

fade

Could be good. I hope they do more 9 worlds stuff. When I was a kid, I had this huge, beautifully illustrated Norse mythology book. I loved it before I got into comics. I read the Thor comics and thought, hey this isn't so far off the real stuff.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yeah, I hope they stay almost exclusively out of Earth. Thor was always his most boring when he wasn't doing Asgard stuff.

Except when Loki turned him into a frog, of course.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I think I have that comic. It was a What-If where he married Storm or something after he was relieved of the curse.

evilmike

evilmike

The trailer is now available

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Holy crap monkeys, was that
FRICKIN' DARKSEID?!

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Holy crap monkeys, was that
FRICKIN' DARKSEID?!
Not sure if joking.... :confused:

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Look, I haven't kept up to pace what's going on with the movie. I try not to get hyped about movies in the production stage, because more often than I care mention a movie that I've wanted to see has been mothballed or turned into a horrid, gasping mockery of what it could have been. I'm looking at you, World War Z!

Covar

Covar

Not sure if joking.... :confused:
To be fair according to Jim Starlin Roy Thomas told him that if he was going to steal one of the New Gods he should at least rip off Darkseid, "the really good one." Hence why Thanos doesn't look like Metron.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

...and I just realized he's a DC character, not Marvel. *sigh* Goddamn mixed-up comic mythologies...

Covar

Covar

...and I just realized he's a DC character, not Marvel. *sigh* Goddamn mixed-up comic mythologies...
Happens, see blatant acknowledgement of ripping off the visual design above.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

That is why I was unsure if joking... I didn't want to be that guy going "Huh that's DC dude" if you were just being sarcastic.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

That is why I was unsure if joking... I didn't want to be that guy going "Huh that's DC dude" if you were just being sarcastic.
I wasn't, so thanks for not being that dude.

I'm actually kinda disappointed now... I liked Darkseid.

evilmike

evilmike

From the SDCC Panel, Tom Hiddleston working the crowd in character as Loki

BananaHands

BananaHands

GET HYPED.

Frank

Frank

I was like, WHAT? Thor comes out in four days? Then I remembered you guys do dates all silly.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Fuck yeah, I'm in. That looks awesome.

Gusto

Gusto

I was like, WHAT? Thor comes out in four days? Then I remembered you guys do dates all silly.
This was my exact thought process.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Korg's (from Planet Hulk) race is making an appearance in this movie. God I love Marvel sometimes.

Frank

Frank

Them rock folk are about as old as Thor is in Marvel.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Them rock folk are about as Thor is in Marvel.

One of those rock guys actually are Korg. Thor thwarted their attempt at conquest of earth.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Wahad

Wahad

Honestly, I don't mind at all. Hiddleston is great as Loki. (I say this as a non-comic reader, so I'm fully prepared to get my ass kicked for it by those who do). So I'm still hyped for this movie.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Honestly, I don't mind at all. Hiddleston is great as Loki. (I say this as a non-comic reader, so I'm fully prepared to get my ass kicked for it by those who do). So I'm still hyped for this movie.
Loki is pretty much Thor's primary villain outside of the Enchantress, so no arguments from a comic book perspective. Hell, almost any Midgard enemy Thor has was empowered in some way by Loki. Basically, Loki is always present in most every Thor storyline.[DOUBLEPOST=1376744321,1376744070][/DOUBLEPOST]I just hope to god that they don't ever try to bring the Wrecking Crew to the big screen. I'd be OK with the Absorbing Man, but the rest of them wouldn't translate that well to film.

Frank

Frank

Wrecking Crew would be a great introductory villain (s) you see in the first few minutes of a movie who are then immediately dispatched.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I just hope to god that they don't ever try to bring the Wrecking Crew to the big screen. I'd be OK with the Absorbing Man, but the rest of them wouldn't translate that well to film.
Sigh, all this talking about it making me miss the Avengers cartoon. They did some cool stuff with these characters. I love what Thor did with Absorbing Man in the Gamma World episode.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It'll never happen, but I'd love to get some Beta Ray Bill in one of these movies.

The recently ended Godkiller arc in the newer Thor book was pretty solid, too, that'd make a great movie.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

It'll never happen, but I'd love to get some Beta Ray Bill in one of these movies.

The recently ended Godkiller arc in the newer Thor book was pretty solid, too, that'd make a great movie.
It would be groovy just to see him on the screen or have just a few lines at the very least.

Bowielee

Bowielee

That would be cool, but Bill requires way to much of an explanation to just show up for a cameo.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

That would be cool, but Bill requires way to much of an explanation to just show up for a cameo.
Have him show up pre-Asgardian powerup in GotG in a cameo.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Even then, they'd have to explain how an alien ended up wielding the powers of a Norse god. I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool, but it's just not feasible and certainly not accessible enough for non fans.

Oh, wait, you mean just have him show up as an alien. Yeah, that would work, if they don't go into tying him to Thor directly.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Even then, they'd have to explain how an alien ended up wielding the powers of a Norse god. I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool, but it's just not feasible and certainly not accessible enough for non fans.

Oh, wait, you mean just have him show up as an alien. Yeah, that would work, if they don't go into tying him to Thor directly.
Yeah, this is true. His origin would need almost a full movie in itself, and even fans might not recognize him without his horseface.

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

evilmike

evilmike

Malekith Awawkens

Frank

Frank

I'm stoked. Like I said earlier in the thread, the more batshit loony bastardized norse mythology they throw in, the happier I will be.

Less grounded no powers Thor, more gonzo evil space elves.

evilmike

evilmike

New images of Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as both Algrim:

and as Kurse:

(via ScreenCrush)

evilmike

evilmike

It looks like Loki is trying to improve his image...

Tress

Tress

So far reviews are positive (for the most part), but not overwhelmingly so. Less "Hell yeah!" and more "Eh, it's good I guess."

Is the momentum on comic book movies beginning to wane?

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

So far reviews are positive (for the most part), but not overwhelmingly so. Less "Hell yeah!" and more "Eh, it's good I guess."

Wait till the abysmal numbers hit for Guardians of the Galaxy.

Tress

Tress

Truth. I've been predicting a big-time flop for that movie since day 1.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I really hope that doesn't happen. :(

Also, what I've been hearing (and felt myself after seeing it) about Thor 2 is that it was better than the first one. And the first one was pretty good, I thought.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I thought it was better than the first film, but it was still just good. I don't think it's a case of waning interest in heroes, just that Thor's own films haven't been as good (though still good) as the other Marvel Studios films.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I thought it was better than the first film, but it was still just good. I don't think it's a case of waning interest in heroes, just that Thor's own films haven't been as good (though still good) as the other Marvel Studios films.
That's pretty much it in a nuthshell. Of the last batch of Avengers movies, Thor was probably the second weakest - Iron Man 2 being the weakest. Still good in its own right, but not as good compared to its compatriots. It doesn't help that Thor's not exactly the easiest of characters to write, both as a character in general and his mythology. Or that, let's face it, the most entertaining actor and thus character in the films is the guy playing Loki.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I care less about them since I saw Avengers. It felt like everything was leading up to that, and now the anticipation has passed. Just speaking for myself.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Bowielee

Bowielee

I care less about them since I saw Avengers. It felt like everything was leading up to that, and now the anticipation has passed. Just speaking for myself.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk
I think that may swing when they start seeing that there is a current buildup for the next phase of Marvel movies that actually starts with the early end of credits scene of Thor: The Dark World.

Which is:

Infinity Gauntlet, y'all. Called it!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Eh, don't think about it as build up to another one. Just enjoy them as individual, self-contained movies like the last batch.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I guess this is a good place to put my thoughts on the movie. Keep in mind that I'm a HUGE Thor fan, and have been reading his books since I was a kid. My strong interest in mythology was actually inspired by reading the Thor comics.

This movie is far and away my favorite of the Marvel movies produced to date (see why I made that qualification). I loved everything about the movie. The comedy bits, the multiple twists with Loki, Malaketh and Kurse. The main reason I loved it is that it felt epic. I don't mean in the modern watered down sense, but in the traditional epic Norse edda sense. Also, I think it was an extremely smart move to have the bulk of the movie take place in Asgard. One of my issues with the first movie was that he spent far too much time on earth. The comic was usually best when it was tackling the mythology stuff head on, IMO. Not to say Thor's time banished on earth sharing a body with a human host was bad, I just liked it better when he was full on Thor dealing with the wars with the frost giants, Surtur, Hela and such.

If I had one little niggling issue with the movie, it would be that the dark elves may be went a bit too far into sci-fi territory, but that's to be expected when they're going with trying to make the Asgardians believable in the scientific sense as not actually being gods.

On a somewhat unrelated note regarding the mix of fantasy and sci-fi, anyone attempting to make a He-Man and the Masters of the Universe movie should watch this movie and ape the hell out of it.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

One thing that's been bugging me a bit about this movie and Avengers to a lesser extent: does Thor not feel as uber-powerful as he is in the comics? Like, in the beginning of this movie, with that army of marauders, Thor ordinarily would've mopped the floor with them, not just hammering them away one-by-one, right?

Maybe I'm just thinking of certain interpretations of the character, like the Earth's Mightiest Heroes series.

Bowielee

Bowielee

From the look of them, they appeared to be minions of Surtur, who are pretty damn powerful. He can lay out a human army no problem, but he does have limitations unless he's weilding the Odinforce.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Just came back from it.

Initial impressions: Pretty good. At least as good as the first one, and almost certainly better. There was a nice mix of humor and action, and the cast all did well with the material they were given.

Other impressions, big spoilers ahoy:

1. Damn I had no idea Frigga was so badass. She single handedly took down Malekith in direct melee combat.

2. Thor feels a bit less powerful in here compared to the first film, and in The Avengers. He could withstand punches from the Hulk without sustaining a scratch, yet hits from Kurst is enough to bloody him? Fighting Malekith is enough to knock him out? You can't tell me these guys are stronger than the freaking Hulk.

3. If they really want to surprise the audience, kill off Loki and make it stick. I can guarantee no one in the audience was fooled by Loki's "death" near the end there. Similarly, I can guarantee no one though Loki had really betrayed Thor and cut off his hand immediately before the death scene.

4. A couple of plot holes my wife noticed, but I did not. Firstly, Malekith's plan is to unleash the Aether through the linked portals. Last we saw, he was in the process of doing so already, as in the Aether was already flowing into Asgard. So why would teleporting Malekith back to the Dark World stop the process? The Aether's been released now, as Malekith says to Thor at the end. There's no explanation why defeating Malekith would remove the already-released Aether. Secondly, the Aether is a liquid, and last we saw of it, it was either flowing through the various realms, or getting crushed under the giant ship along with Malekith. So how did the Asgardians get ahold of (apparently all of) the Aether, to deliver to the Collector? Also, I'm not sure about this, so it might need confirmation, but not all of the Aether went into Jane, some might still be in the pillar. So... what's going to happen with the rest of the Aether there?

5. I cracked up at "Darcy!" "Jane!" "Ian!" "Selvig!" "MEW MEW!!"

Bowielee

Bowielee

Just came back from it.

Initial impressions: Pretty good. At least as good as the first one, and almost certainly better. There was a nice mix of humor and action, and the cast all did well with the material they were given.

Other impressions, big spoilers ahoy:

1. Damn I had no idea Frigga was so badass. She single handedly took down Malekith in direct melee combat.

Yes, yes she is.

2. Thor feels a bit less powerful in here compared to the first film, and in The Avengers. He could withstand punches from the Hulk without sustaining a scratch, yet hits from Kurst is enough to bloody him? Fighting Malekith is enough to knock him out? You can't tell me these guys are stronger than the freaking Hulk.

People keep mentioning this, but they need to keep in mind that the people that Thor is fighting in the other realms are about equivalent if not even more powerful than him. The stone that turned the Dark Elf into Kurse makes him far more powerful than the average asgardian. In Thor's case, on the same or greater power levels that he has.

3. If they really want to surprise the audience, kill off Loki and make it stick. I can guarantee no one in the audience was fooled by Loki's "death" near the end there. Similarly, I can guarantee no one though Loki had really betrayed Thor and cut off his hand immediately before the death scene.

That's the think with a god of Mischeif, you never know if he's going to actually play to or against type. We've kind of expected him to do the opposite of what we would expect him to do. That's kind of a writing failure.

4. A couple of plot holes my wife noticed, but I did not. Firstly, Malekith's plan is to unleash the Aether through the linked portals. Last we saw, he was in the process of doing so already, as in the Aether was already flowing into Asgard. So why would teleporting Malekith back to the Dark World stop the process? The Aether's been released now, as Malekith says to Thor at the end. There's no explanation why defeating Malekith would remove the already-released Aether. Secondly, the Aether is a liquid, and last we saw of it, it was either flowing through the various realms, or getting crushed under the giant ship along with Malekith. So how did the Asgardians get ahold of (apparently all of) the Aether, to deliver to the Collector? Also, I'm not sure about this, so it might need confirmation, but not all of the Aether went into Jane, some might still be in the pillar. So... what's going to happen with the rest of the Aether there?

The Aether isn't actually liquid, it's more a flowing energy made manifest. It is also one of the Infinity Gems (most likely the Power Gem, if they're going by the color scheme from the infinity gauntlet series), which means it can never be destroyed. It and the Tessaract are universal constants. It needs a host for its power to be weilded for destruction. When Maleketh died, the power reverted back to its original form. All the Asgardians would have had to do was go and get it.

5. I cracked up at "Darcy!" "Jane!" "Ian!" "Selvig!" "MEW MEW!!"

I personally lost it when he hangs Mjolnir on the coat hook in Jane's appartment.

@Li3n

@Li3n

He could withstand punches from the Hulk without sustaining a scratch, yet hits from Kurse is enough to bloody him?

Yup, that is how it works:

Of course Hulk can get way stronger as he gets madder.

Eriol

Eriol

Overall, I liked it. It's a straightforward movie, and plays as such, but that's fine. It's well-executed for what it is. It's not meant to be the highly-complicated "who will make the next move?" type movie. It has a villain, heroes, an in-the-middle guy (Loki), and believable actions from everybody.

Really, the biggest negative about a lot of these movies is how f'n stupid multiple characters usually act, which is what then advances the plot. Here there is no such easy spot to point out. The villains AND heroes do not act like idiots. So that's good.

Good action, funny in the right places, interesting in the right places (Thor + Loki banter is great), and a fair story. Not flawless, but it doesn't need to be. Not the best movie ever, but a "good" movie.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Was it just me...
Or was the Benny Hill music going through anyone elses head during the climax, when Thor lost Mjolnir through the portal while on the Dark World? The hammer was like "wait a minute...." and shot into space like it was going to travel the whole way back to him, then when Thor teleports back to earth, it shoots back towards Earth again, only to miss him the last second and start flying towards space again? It was like a comedy where I kept imagining the hammer going "waaah which way did he go? which way did he go?"

The scene where Darcy/Ian and Jane/Selvig run into eachother didn't help... "Darcy!" "Jane!" "Ian?" "Selvig..." hammer goes flying by them "MJOLNIR!" Neither did the subway scene.
We need someone to make a video of that when the movie hits DVD.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, I went and saw the movie again with my best friend tonight (I had to pretend that I hadn't seen it because he wanted us to go together and I couldn't wait :p). After the kickass action scene with Heimdal, this little kid sitting in front of me turned to his dad and yelled out "Heimdal is AWESOME!!!!!". It was a great moment.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I would find that cooler except for the fact my wife is a notorious movie talker and it can kind of get on my nerves. This movie was actually one of her worst. We watched the original Thor together, and I saw Avengers with her whole family, but the only thing she seemed to remember about either was that Chris Hemsworth has a hot body, because she was making me fill her in on everything.

Wife: What does Jane Foster even do?
Me: She is an astrophysicist, a scientist.

Wife: Who is that naked guy?
Me: Eric Selvig, he was in Thor and Avengers.

Wife: The Asgardians didn't hide that stuff well if she could just accidentally teleport to it.
Me: It likely wanted to be found, so it pulled her there.

Wife: Why does Loki want to be ruler? Surely he grew up knowing Thor was supposed to be king.
Me: He is power hungry? Now SHHHHHH.

Covar

Covar

Wife: The Asgardians didn't hide that stuff well if she could just accidentally teleport to it.
It's a naturally occurring phenomenon that takes place once every 5000 years that causes the realms to merge together for brief moments, it's really just far more likely random chance caused by the chaos. It's not like the previous generation of asgardians could predict where the boundaries would break down. Especially since most beings can't even observe the situation until they interact with it.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Wife: Why does Loki want to be ruler? Surely he grew up knowing Thor was supposed to be king.
Answered her own question there, didn't she.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I would find that cooler except for the fact my wife is a notorious movie talker and it can kind of get on my nerves. This movie was actually one of her worst. We watched the original Thor together, and I saw Avengers with her whole family, but the only thing she seemed to remember about either was that Chris Hemsworth has a hot body, because she was making me fill her in on everything.

Wife: What does Jane Foster even do?
Me: She is an astrophysicist, a scientist.

Wife: Who is that naked guy?
Me: Eric Selvig, he was in Thor and Avengers.

Me: He is power hungry? Now SHHHHHH.
Now see, why didn't you guys just re-watch the first one to avoid that sort of thing? Or at least SOME of the questions.

Also, there's no way I could be with someone like that. It'd be like taking a 5-year old to see a movie. No offence to your wife.

Eriol

Eriol

I took this out of spoilers, as this is the FIRST movie really, and beyond a year, you don't need to spoiler things unless the movie is super-obscure (like Primer or something) :
Didn't your wife have to read and/or see Hamlet in High School? It's not like the younger sibling wanting power is a NEW trope.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I have a female friend that is the same way.

Her: Who is that?
Her: What's he doing there?
Her: What's that thing?

Me: WE'RE TEN MINUTES IN. I'M WATCHING THE SAME GODDAMN MOVIE YOU ARE. I DON'T KNOW EITHER, JUST WAIT AND ASSUME THAT THE MOVIE WILL EVENTUALLY TELL US THESE THINGS!

Cajungal

Cajungal

I don't like that either. The occasional question is ok, especially when you can pause it, but endless questions drive me nuts. I know I must do it sometime too, though. That's how it goes with many things that irritate me. Can't watch movies with the mother in law, because she loudly announces what's going to happen next long after everyone else had silently figured it out.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Heh, my wife was completely silent through the movie, but I was answering questions for her pre-emptively, because she's seen none of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies before, so I knew she'd be lost.

"That's Jotunheim, the frost giant world from the first movie."
"Thor can fly because he's holding on to his hammer. Without his hammer, he can't fly."
"That's Captain America."
"Jane punched Loki because Loki attacked New York in the Avengers."

I'm surprised she didn't divorce me after the film.

Dei

Dei

My dad does the question thing. But he only does it to be as annoying as possible, and at home, not in a theater. ;)

Bowielee

Bowielee

I have a female friend that is the same way.

Her: Who is that?
Her: What's he doing there?
Her: What's that thing?

Me: WE'RE TEN MINUTES IN. I'M WATCHING THE SAME GODDAMN MOVIE YOU ARE. I DON'T KNOW EITHER, JUST WAIT AND ASSUME THAT THE MOVIE WILL EVENTUALLY TELL US THESE THINGS!
I hate this so much. I've told people before "Maybe if you paid attention instead of asking me questions, you'd already know the answer."

Frank

Frank

Woof, other than that one really big "Spock in a Cave" moment, I enjoyed the movie enough.

I don't really feel like it was random chance that Jane stumbled onto the Aether. It's a cosmic power, one of the infinity gems, it probably drew her there to be set free. Stupendously powerful ultra artifacts are like that.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Woof, other than that one really big "Spock in a Cave" moment, I enjoyed the movie enough.

I don't really feel like it was random chance that Jane stumbled onto the Aether. It's a cosmic power, one of the infinity gems, it probably drew her there to be set free. Stupendously powerful ultra artifacts are like that.
Huh, it just occurred to me the One Ring could be an Infinity Gem.

Frank

Frank

Hogun got the real Jet Li in the Expendables 2 treatment.

"Well, we got too many characters, who do we lose? The black guy or the asian guy?"

"The asian. The asian for sure."

"Okie dokie."

-cut to the movie.

"Hogun, you are a good friend, but we're leaving you here because reasons."

THOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR THE DAAAAAAAAAAAAARK WOOOOOOOOOOORLD!

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'd love to see a Warriors Three spin off with Sif in it.

Everyone needs more Volstagg in their life.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Now see, why didn't you guys just re-watch the first one to avoid that sort of thing? Or at least SOME of the questions. Also, there's no way I could be with someone like that. It'd be like taking a 5-year old to see a movie. No offence to your wife.
It's very rare that she would watch a superhero movie twice, more so with the kid around now, so watching it again was not really an option. Even then, she can be pretty bad about remembering certain things in movies, even ones we just watched. The two of us had many a discussion in the car because she would forget about a certain section of a scene, leading to me having to explain it to her again so she understood the purpose.

Really, I don't mind too much filling her in one some details. It allows me to geek out a bit, it's just the times she goes a bit nuts with it that I get a little crazy. That, and those times she asks me what people said, or asks me questions that the movie itself tells you.

Odin: ... Frigga...
Wife: What did he just say?
Me: Frigga.
Wife: Frigga?
Me: Thor's mother. (My mind: Thor introduced her like 5 minutes ago!)

Bowielee

Bowielee

It's very rare that she would watch a superhero movie twice, more so with the kid around now, so watching it again was not really an option. Even then, she can be pretty bad about remembering certain things in movies, even ones we just watched. The two of us had many a discussion in the car because she would forget about a certain section of a scene, leading to me having to explain it to her again so she understood the purpose.

Really, I don't mind too much filling her in one some details. It allows me to geek out a bit, it's just the times she goes a bit nuts with it that I get a little crazy. That, and those times she asks me what people said, or asks me questions that the movie itself tells you.

Odin: ... Frigga...
Wife: What did he just say?
Me: Frigga.
Wife: Frigga?
Me: Thor's mother. (My mind: Thor introduced her like 5 minutes ago!)
Every time my best friend and I go to see a comic book movie, he gets a 20 min debriefing afterwards on the characters in the movie (yes, he does ask, I don't just foist it on him).

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Every time my best friend and I go to see a comic book movie, he gets a 20 min debriefing afterwards on the characters in the movie (yes, he does ask, I don't just foist it on him).
Same here for the most part, though my wife usually gets bored after a few minutes. That or we run into a bit of an issue once again with her remembering things.

Conversation literally 10 minutes after the movie ended.
Me: So the Infinity Gems are these universal constants, items of great power. That guy at the end of the Avengers seeks to collect them.
Wife: Guy at the end?
Me: Yes, Thanos.
Wife: Thanos? You mean the weird guy at the end of Thor 2?
Me: No that was the Collector. Thanos was at the end of the Avengers, the guy with the purple face.
Wife: Purple face? I don't remember all that minut crap.
Me: ... Anyways in the original Thor, they showed in the vault that they have a item called the Infinity Gauntlet...
Wife: Let's go to the store I need to pick up a few things.
Conversation over. :rolleyes:

bhamv3

bhamv3

Same here for the most part, though my wife usually gets bored after a few minutes. That or we run into a bit of an issue once again with her remembering things.

Conversation literally 10 minutes after the movie ended.
Me: So the Infinity Gems are these universal constants, items of great power. That guy at the end of the Avengers seeks to collect them.
Wife: Guy at the end?
Me: Yes, Thanos.
Wife: Thanos? You mean the weird guy at the end of Thor 2?
Me: No that was the Collector. Thanos was at the end of the Avengers, the guy with the purple face.
Wife: Purple face? I don't remember all that minut crap.
Me: ... Anyways in the original Thor, they showed in the vault that they have a item called the Infinity Gauntlet...
Wife: Let's go to the store I need to pick up a few things.
Conversation over. :rolleyes:
Heh, my wife stews on the movie and then pops up questions afterwards. We saw the film in the morning, but that night as we were cooking dinner, she suddenly came up with, "Can Thor's hammer travel through space to get to him when he's been transported to another realm? I mean, we saw the hammer fly off into space, right? So does that mean if it travels far enough, it can eventually reach the Dark World?"

To which I had to admit I didn't know.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Heh, my wife stews on the movie and then pops up questions afterwards. We saw the film in the morning, but that night as we were cooking dinner, she suddenly came up with, "Can Thor's hammer travel through space to get to him when he's been transported to another realm? I mean, we saw the hammer fly off into space, right? So does that mean if it travels far enough, it can eventually reach the Dark World?"

To which I had to admit I didn't know.
The answer is yes.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

So I was checking out Wikipedia earlier and it seems Thor 2 just got into the top ten for the years worldwide gross. Not bad for only being in theaters a little over a week. Still has a long way to go through if it wants to get close to Iron Man 3.

So as an aside, did anyone think this format of treating the movies like comics (different characters and stories, but all interconnected) was going to be as big of a hit as it has become?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So I was checking out Wikipedia earlier and it seems Thor 2 just got into the top ten for the years worldwide gross. Not bad for only being in theaters a little over a week. Still has a long way to go through if it wants to get close to Iron Man 3.

So as an aside, did anyone think this format of treating the movies like comics (different characters and stories, but all interconnected) was going to be as big of a hit as it has become?
I'm not surprised. It's basically taking Hollywood's love of sequels to a new level, people are more likely to go to a movie they've heard of before. I wonder if this will lead to the same problem that comics ran into though, in that new fans have trouble finding an entry point to the new material without having to go through a long backlog to catch up.

Maybe movies will start incorporating little yellow boxes to mention which movies certain references came from.

Tress

Tress

Finally saw it. Eh. It was entertaining, but it had some flaws IMO.

We'll see how well Marvel can keep this whole thing rolling.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I have movie-talkers in my family. I don't watch movies with them.

I don't have movie-talker friends, because you can choose who your friends are, and I did not choose people like that.

As for the movie ... I felt it was weak for the first two-thirds. The first battle seemed like it was forcing the sense of fun and comradery from the first movie's venture into Jotunheim. Certain dramatic scenes just didn't carry weight. The action stuff didn't feel like it had much momentum. Once the climax gets underway, I started liking the movie more. I'm not sure having a TV director take this on was the best choice, because that's where I feel the trouble was coming from.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Saw it. Loved it. No complaints.
Beginning to end it was exactly what I wanted out of a Thor movie and more.

The Frigga scenes? Amazing.
The Loki scenes? Predictable but amazing.
The Thor scenes? Badassary every time.
The Jane scenes? Forced but necessary.
The Odin scenes? Weak but to the point.
The battle? Epic.

Best part?
One down.... five to go....

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Saw it. Loved it. No complaints.
Beginning to end it was exactly what I wanted out of a Thor movie and more.

The Frigga scenes? Amazing.
The Loki scenes? Predictable but amazing.
The Thor scenes? Badassary every time.
The Jane scenes? Forced but necessary.
The Odin scenes? Weak but to the point.
The battle? Epic.

Best part?
One down.... five to go....
No love for Darcy Lewis?

This movie only flaw is that we have to yet get a scene between Darcy and Loki, that is epic.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

No love for Darcy Lewis?

This movie only flaw is that we have to yet get a scene between Darcy and Loki, that is epic.
Holy hell I forgot to mention this:

Special note, I just recently watched the first two seasons of -Two Broke Girls- and it only amplified how much I enjoyed her character in the movie. She was in top form. Everyone in the film was. It really was a very solid movie.