Export thread

Tipping! Your thoughts.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

With the decent amount of Euro-posters here, I imagine this will be an interesting discussion :)

I was going to open it with the opening scene from Reservoir Dogs that infamously talks about tipping or not tipping, but I couldn't find an easy, full script, but here are some parts:

Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!
Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?
Mr. Pink: Nah, I don't believe in it.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?
Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make shit.
Mr. Pink: Don't give me that. She don't make enough money that she can quit.
Nice Guy Eddie: I don't even know a fucking Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me get this straight: you don't ever tip?
Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
Mr. Blue: Hey, our girl was nice.
Mr. Pink: She was okay. She wasn't anything special.
Mr. Blue: What's special? Take you in the back and suck your dick?
Nice Guy Eddie: I'd go over twelve percent for that.
Mr. Pink: I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips, that's fucked up. That ain't my fault. It would seem to me that waitresses are one of the many groups the government fucks in the ass on a regular basis. Look, if you ask me to sign something that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it, put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball. And as for this non-college bullshit I got two words for that: learn to fuckin' type, 'cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big fuckin' surprise.

So basically, what I'm asking is if you tip or not? Do you think it's a good practice? How heavily does the quality of the service apply to your amount?

I think it's extremely relevant to say if you're in the USA or Europe or whatnot, since there are a lot of cultural differences between them. I'm pretty sure all US servers get paid below minimum wage, and I believe Euro servers get paid something closer to a liveable wage, but I'm not sure.

Steven Soderburgin

Man, I ain't never going to China.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I'm in the USA, and I almost always tip because I know it's a big part of their wages. You have to fuck up pretty bad for me to stiff you entirely, but then I'm a forgiving, easygoing guy in general.

Dave

Dave

This is one of the most contentious subjects we've ever had on the boards. Well, this and steak. Should be interesting.

:popcorn:

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

This is one of the most contentious subjects we've ever had on the boards. Well, this and steak. Should be interesting.

Was it before my time? I was thinking about it today and I couldn't recall any tipping thread in the last year.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I tip 15% every time. If I can afford to do more for a really good server, I do. I do not like when people go out to eat and don't tip, explaining that they can't afford to. If you can't afford to tip, I think you should do pickup.

I try to be understanding with servers. It's a stressful job. But there are some places where they give you an attitude. If I don't order enough or if I eat too slowly, I'm wasting their time. I hate that. I understand that turnover's important, and they have no way of knowing if I'm going to leave them with nothing. But I don't like to feel pressured when I'm at a restaurant when I'm going out to relax. That's pretty much the only thing that will result in a lowered tip--rudeness. If I don't get what I ordered or it's cold, that's probably not their fault.

Chazwozel

ah this ol' chestnut. At a chain dump like Applebees or Chili's I do the typical 10-15% because the waiters don't give a rip about me or my 'experience'.

At my regular watering holes (i.e. pubs/barrs) I tip 20% because I know most of the folks there, and they give you great service (shoot the shit with you, give you a free shot etc...). At bars I've never been too, I will always slip the bartender an extra buck or two with every beer/pitcher. I never have trouble getting drinks.

At nice restaurants, I'll tip about 15-18% really depending on the server and the meal.

Out with friends/family at nicer restaurants, usually like 30% with everyone pitching in. If it's a chain place, the server usually gets around 20%.

Cajungal

Cajungal

^Oh, that too. When I'm in a group we always end up tipping more.

Chazwozel

I tip 15% every time. If I can afford to do more for a really good server, I do. I do not like when people go out to eat and don't tip, explaining that they can't afford to. If you can't afford to tip, I think you should do pickup.

I try to be understanding with servers. It's a stressful job. But there are some places where they give you an attitude. If I don't order enough or if I eat too slowly, I'm wasting their time. I hate that. I understand that turnover's important, and they have no way of knowing if I'm going to leave them with nothing. But I don't like to feel pressured when I'm at a restaurant when I'm going out to relax. That's pretty much the only thing that will result in a lowered tip--rudeness. If I don't get what I ordered or it's cold, that's probably not their fault.
Isn't that the number 1 rule on how to run a piss poor restaurant?

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

Was it before my time? I was thinking about it today and I couldn't recall any tipping thread in the last year.[/QUOTE]

In all honesty, I think chain places should just do regular wages. I don't get better service at TGI Fridays for tipping 20%

Wasabi Poptart

It depends on where I am and the quality of service I received. I tip the stylist who cuts my hair. I tip at restaurants when we sit down to eat. Both situations I give a percentage of my total bill up to 20%.
I have to tip the person who bags my groceries at the commissary because they have signs at each check out line saying they only work for tips. I usually give them $5.
I give a tip at a hotel if the bellhop bring up our bags or for the maid when we leave.

I do not tip when I go to Starbucks. I could have made coffee at home if I wasn't being a lazy ass.
I don't tip when we do takeout. All the waitstaff did was grab my food from the kitchen and put it in a bag.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I usually tip around $5.00 as a standard tip for places like IHOP, Bennigans, and the like. I figure me and my family will take up about 40 minutes of the server's time, and that's worth $5.00 to me. If they're constantly running 2 or 3 tables, they can make a pretty decent hourly wage.

At really good restaurants, I tip closer to 20%

I tip a lot less if the service sucks. I've been known to tip a lot more too. I ate at a chinese restaurant recently. It was a mom and pop place, and I was the only one in there (I showed up right at opening time at 11). The wife stuck around and talked with me about her experiences coming from China, and asked me about my tinwhistle, and told me how her husband cooked the various dishes, all in broken english. She was very attentive and pleasant. I think i tipped about $8.00 for a $12.00 meal.

Chazwozel

It depends on where I am and the quality of service I received. I tip the stylist who cuts my hair. I tip at restaurants when we sit down to eat. Both situations I give a percentage of my total bill up to 20%.
I have to tip the person who bags my groceries at the commissary because they have signs at each check out line saying they only work for tips. I usually give them $5.
I give a tip at a hotel if the bellhop bring up our bags or for the maid when we leave.

I do not tip when I go to Starbucks. I could have made coffee at home if I wasn't being a lazy ass.
I don't tip when we do takeout. All the waitstaff did was grab my food from the kitchen and put it in a bag.
Oh fuck the Starbucks brats. I never tip them.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I'd say so, Chaz. But some people put up with it.

I don't know what's happening, but I've been hearing more people just put up with a rude server's crap-- "Oh, their job is so hard..." *lays down a 5$ bill*

I don't like it when people encourage that kind of behavior. Maybe they're just scared of getting their food spat in or something.

I mostly get that kind of rudeness when I go with a big group to someplace like Chili's (I hate that place...). All they care about is getting you to order as much as possible and then making sure you wolf it down in 10 minutes.

Wasabi Poptart

The only time I ever tipped at Starbucks (now that I said I never do) was when the store near where I lived in NJ was donating their entire tip jar to St. Jude's Children's hospital for 2 weeks in December. I'd give them all of the change I had in my car and purse. Got a free beverage certificate for it, too. :D

Chibibar

I don't tip take out, BUT I do tip when people deliver my food.

I usually start at 15% tip and either add/subtract depending on service. I use to work at Denny's and Chinese restaurant (family own) so there are some things a server should do like keep drink filled and make sure the food come out properly.

If I encounter a rude person, then I don't leave any.

Cajungal

Cajungal

If only tip at cafes where I know people. A friend's little sister works at a Community place down here, so I tip a little change here and there.

The local place is where I tip the most. You get really good, friendly service and delicious, FRESH coffee. They roast new beans every day.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

What do you think about tipping on delivery food when there's already a $2 "delivery charge" on the bill?

Hylian

Hylian

I try to tip at least 10% but I usually hit somewhere around 13% - 15%

Chibibar

What do you think about tipping on delivery food when there's already a $2 "delivery charge" on the bill?
If they charge for delivery, then I would tip a little less for the guy to bring my food on a timely matter. I have no idea where that extra $2 is going to go. I presume to the driver since some people DON'T tip.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I presume to the driver[/QUOTE]

HINT: It doesn't go to the driver at all

Chibibar

I presume to the driver[/QUOTE]

HINT: It doesn't go to the driver at all[/QUOTE]

well that is why I said, I don't know where it goes.

When I was working at the Chinese restaurant, I get a little higher wage for wear n tear on the car + gas.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

that forced delivery charge sucks. Why does dominos charge me for delivery if I'm also paying the driver for the same service?

hopefully the drivers will end up suing and winning like American Airlines skycaps did recently.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/040808dnbusaaskycaps.1cbbbad.html

fade

fade

I have a problem with being "forced" to tip. I understand the wage thing, but I also understand I did NOT take 40 minutes of the waiter's time. The total time s/he put into my table was far less than that. If I add up total face time, add some for the highly efficient bussing, and even throw in for kitchen trips, his/her total time seems less than 10 minutes to me.

Koko

I never tip, unless I'm with someone I need to not look like an asshole for.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I tip in real can-I-take-your-order-sir restaurants when I sit down.

I don't tip at fast food places, even if they bring you your food, 'cause all they're doing is to try to keep the cashier line moving as quickly as possible.

I tip delivery guys if there's no delivery charge.

When I visit my folks in Europe, most of the places we go charge a mandatory service fee in the place of tip, which is irritating on principle, but it's not like we ever get bad service and it's less than 15% of bill anyway.

Olorin

Europe here.
I hardly ever go to restaurants, and I usually don't tip much when I do. Just a bit to make it a nice round number if I feel like it. Last time I tried to give a tip, the lady wouldn't even accept it.

Bonhomme Richard

Bonhomme Richard

The main thing I have a problem with is being expected to tip at larger restaurants. I understand the servers make below minimum wage, but why is that the case? Why am I supplementing to the proper wage these people should have been making in the first place? Why is it accepted to pay servers under minimum wage?

Like others have said, it's not like me tipping grants me any better service now that it's expected.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I usually give 15%, more if the service is superb. I have no problem leaving little to nothing if the service is super-bad. It doesn't happen that often though. I always tip the pizza guy. It's a small town, and they know who I am. They always get me a deal on the pies, and so I like to give some back.

I almost never tip fast food or any place that pays at least minimum wage.

David

David

I generally pay about 10%, last time I was at a restaurant more like 50% because the group of 4 I was in bought maybe $10 of food between the bunch of us and were kinda loud and obnoxious.

I purposely avoid restaurants that have mandatory tipping fees. They want my business, they can stop trying to tell me I got great service while getting away with half-assed service.

Wasabi Poptart

I understand the servers make below minimum wage, but why is that the case? Why am I supplementing to the proper wage these people should have been making in the first place? Why is it accepted to pay servers under minimum wage?
Because there was a time when tipping was making the servers more money than the establishments could pay them in wages. My dad used to bring home $500 or more in tips some weeks. My parents used his tip money alone to buy Christmas presents or save up for family vacations.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I understand the servers make below minimum wage, but why is that the case? Why am I supplementing to the proper wage these people should have been making in the first place? Why is it accepted to pay servers under minimum wage?
Because there was a time when tipping was making the servers more money than the establishments could pay them in wages. My dad used to bring home $500 or more in tips some weeks. My parents used his tip money alone to buy Christmas presents or save up for family vacations.[/QUOTE]

And that's a bad thing? My mother was a waitress most of my life and she did the same thing. I understand taxing tips, but them being able to get minimum wage AND get good tips sounds like it would be a good incentive to get quality servers in a place.

Espy

Espy

I tip pretty good having worked in the service industry, but I that doesn't stop me from being critical about how I do it. If I plan to be a regular customer I tip very well, it usually ensures I get taken care of in the future.
Regarding coffee shops and such I tip much more at independent places than at corporate places but I still tip, even on a simple cup of Joe.

Shannow

Shannow

ah this ol' chestnut. At a chain dump like Applebees or Chili's I do the typical 10-15% because the waiters don't give a rip about me or my 'experience'.

At my regular watering holes (i.e. pubs/barrs) I tip 20% because I know most of the folks there, and they give you great service (shoot the shit with you, give you a free shot etc...). At bars I've never been too, I will always slip the bartender an extra buck or two with every beer/pitcher. I never have trouble getting drinks.

At nice restaurants, I'll tip about 15-18% really depending on the server and the meal.

Out with friends/family at nicer restaurants, usually like 30% with everyone pitching in. If it's a chain place, the server usually gets around 20%.
Pretty much me exactly

Covar

Covar

Because there was a time when tipping was making the servers more money than the establishments could pay them in wages. My dad used to bring home $500 or more in tips some weeks. My parents used his tip money alone to buy Christmas presents or save up for family vacations.[/QUOTE]

And that's a bad thing? My mother was a waitress most of my life and she did the same thing. I understand taxing tips, but them being able to get minimum wage AND get good tips sounds like it would be a good incentive to get quality servers in a place.[/QUOTE]

The arguement at the time minimum wage was put in place was that if the server is making more than minimum wage in tips how come the employer is forced to pay them at minimum wage, they clearly don't need it.

Bottom line, in the US you tip because servers don't make minimum wage and servers don't make minimum wage because we tip in the US.

My sister works in the service industry so I pretty much always tip 20%.

Gusto

Gusto

Canadia.

I tip between 10 and 15% at a restaurant or whatever, nothing at a fast food or coffee place, a few bucks or whatever for delivery (since I almost NEVER get delivery), and 20-25% for my usual pubs/sports bars.

My best friend and I go to the same sports bar just about every weekend. We tip well and they give us benefits. It's nice to wander in there during the end of their dinner rush to have a table and a pitcher waiting for us by the time we sit down, and the TV turned to whatever games we wanna watch. One time the bartender even gave us some hockey tickets he couldn't use.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

if a server doesn't make minimum wage in tips, their employer is required to make up the difference. You'd probably get fired if your employer had to do this, though.

Of course, a server that can't make $7/hour in tips is probably a piss poor server.

Vagabond

V.Bond

15% most everywhere. This includes the pizza delivery guy.
20% if the service somehow manages to be above average. I've got no criteria for this, I just know it when it happens.
I've never not left a tip, guess I've been lucky not to get shitty waitstaff thus far.

The only tipping situation that confuses me is the little tip bowl thing at the registers at Chipotle. Every once in a while I might throw in some change, but what entitles them to that extra money? I'd hate for that to become the norm.

Unless it's for some kind of charity and I've never noticed.

Bonhomme Richard

Bonhomme Richard

And that's a bad thing? My mother was a waitress most of my life and she did the same thing. I understand taxing tips, but them being able to get minimum wage AND get good tips sounds like it would be a good incentive to get quality servers in a place.[/QUOTE]

The arguement at the time minimum wage was put in place was that if the server is making more than minimum wage in tips how come the employer is forced to pay them at minimum wage, they clearly don't need it.

Bottom line, in the US you tip because servers don't make minimum wage and servers don't make minimum wage because we tip in the US.

My sister works in the service industry so I pretty much always tip 20%.[/QUOTE]

I'm not against tipping, but it obviously has no affect on the quality of service in the majority of places anymore. I like the idea of the people actually getting minimum wage and the tipping returning to being an incentive at that point. I'm tired of subsidizing wages that larger restaurants can obviously afford. I want the tip to be something above and beyond, not "in theory" allowing them to break even.

Espy

Espy

I'm not against tipping, but it obviously has no affect on the quality of service in the majority of places anymore.
That I agree with. Overall I feel that I rarely get "good" service. I get mediocre "I'd rather not be here" service.

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

It depends on the consumption really. For a cup of coffee or something I usually just raise it to a nice round number that makes it easy to pay. Dinners and such is usually 15%ish unless I happen to get exceptionally good service.

As far as I know, servers here just get minimum wage or above, because minimum wage is a minimum set by law, going below that gets you at least a hefty fine.

WolfOfOdin

I usually start out at around 20% and subtract for every fuck-up that isn't apologized for, IE the waiter spills my coffee on me, mutters and walks away.

I've been a waiter for most of my life till I got the job working as an assistant librarian though, so I'm rather understanding in that regard....that said, Salary > tips.

Of course I've had friends who refuse to tip AT ALL because "if they wanted a better paycheck, they'd get a real job"

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Screw writing out the scripting, I can't believe you didn't post a vid link!

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Screw writing out the scripting, I can't believe you didn't post a vid link!
Can't Youtube at work!

Gusto

Gusto

Shego of all people should understand.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Be careful about not tipping in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. You'll get arrested.

A group of 8 college students got lousy service and refused to pay an 18% gratuity the restaurant added to their order, and the police arrested them for it. After the news picked up the story, the charges were dropped.

Twitch

Average service gets 15%, you have to seriously fuck up to get less than that and even then you'll get 10% probably. If I'm with friends you get 30% because, as Tin said, we all pitch in. Phenomenal service without friends can get 20-30% and with they've even gotten 50% or so. There is one guy, who if we go out with him he is the rudest mother fucker in the world. Any waitress who gets us then is lucky because it's a minimum of 40%.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Shego of all people should understand.
Maybe if I wasn't now unemployed. ;)

Heavan

I never eat out on my own, and all the people I eat out with are the 'oh no, let me pay' type. I am also that type.

Sometimes I end up leaving twice the amount on the bill depending on who I'm out with, just because neither one of us wanted to back down so we both paid the full amount.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

I never eat out on my own, and all the people I eat out with are the 'oh no, let me pay' type. I am also that type.
I promote this sentence. :thumbsup:

Restaurants and bars will get my tips (15%). If servers at fast-food places or cafes are polite, I'll usually give them any change I have, usually a twoonie or loonie.

Shakey

Shakey

I usually do 15%. If the service is better or worse I'll go higher or lower. Me and a buddy gave a bus boy at Old Country Buffet a $20 tip once. The kid was hilarious though. He stopped by as much as he could cracking jokes and bitching about the people that came there. He made what would have been a boring sunday morning a riot, so it was well worth it.

Laurelai

I tend to be a generous tipper (at least 20% regularly) if for no other reason that it's just easier for me to figure out 20% as opposed to 15% ;)

Of course, there was that one time at that one restaurant where that certain waitress wouldn't stop flirting with my boyfriend. He left her a nice hefty tip- I took it and left a dime.... and dared him to put it back lol.

Krisken

Krisken

I tip really well. Unless, of course, the service is so bad it pisses me off. Which is rare.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I tip well in my normal bars, as do most folk it seems. If I have to stand in line at a counter and there's a jar marked tips, that jar can fuck off and die for all I care. When I was at Booster Juice the other day grabbing a Terminator the fucking debit machine had a tip option. IT'S A GOD DAMN COUNTER. THERE'S NOT EVEN A PLACE TO SIT. THESE FUCKING GIRLS ARE BLENDING SOME ICE CREAM WITH A BANANA.....SLOWLY. YOU DO NOT GET A FUCKING TIP FOR THAT.

Chazwozel

I tip well in my normal bars, as do most folk it seems. If I have to stand in line at a counter and there's a jar marked tips, that jar can fuck off and die for all I care. When I was at Booster Juice the other day grabbing a Terminator the fucking debit machine had a tip option. IT'S A GOD DAMN COUNTER. THERE'S NOT EVEN A PLACE TO SIT. THESE FUCKING GIRLS ARE BLENDING SOME ICE CREAM WITH A BANANA.....SLOWLY. YOU DO NOT GET A FUCKING TIP FOR THAT.

I fucking hate tip jars with a passion.

Math242

Math242

I almost never tip. Of course in Belgium, you are not supposed to.

However, i'll sometimes leave a tip when the service is outsanding or if we as customers were a pain in the ass.

when i do leave a tip, i try to make it meaningful because i'd rather not give anything than give spare change and look like a cheapskate

Lally

Restaurants: Usually the base is 15% for me. If you suck, you get 10%, maybe 12%, depending on how much you suck. The absolute lowest tip I ever left was $1 and change on a 24 or 25 dollar meal because the waitress took our order, brought our food, and gave us our check. And never came back any other time, and was really unpleasant those few times she did talk to us. If you're really nice, it's usually closer to 20%. If I've been at the table for a really long time, I usually throw a bit extra in for that, too.

Bars: I start off giving high tips, like a dollar or two per drink, to make sure the bartender always comes back to me right away, and then slowly lower it by the end of the night. Or, if I have a tab going on my credit card, it's 15% of the total if you're nice and attentive, 10% if it took me forever to get a hold of you or my drinks sucked.

Tip jars: Never tip in them.

For delivery: Usually 10%-ish. This isn't an issue anymore as of last week, but my boyfriend and I used to have a rule that the delivery guy got an extra 2-3 bucks if we didn't have to walk downstairs to get our food. We didn't have a buzzing system at our apartment building, but there was a security code panel, and since it was a huge building there was almost always someone coming in or out. Even in the middle of the night, the Domino's guys (and a couple other places) never had a problem getting upstairs. So we knew it could be done. But if the guy just sat in his car and called us to make us come downstairs, he would get the bare minimum.

Salons: This is where I vary the most. It all depends on how much I like what's been done (which kinda sucks for hair stylists because I am really picky about my haircuts), and also how nice the person was to me. I usually give somewhere between 10-20% for haircuts, manicures, and waxing.

fade

fade

I do tip more than 15 when I get a haircut. It takes a long time and skill (and a bit of art), and I appreciate that. Also, I feel bad since I get charged the lower male price even though I have long, thick hair.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I do tip more than 15 when I get a haircut. It takes a long time and skill (and a bit of art), and I appreciate that. Also, I feel bad since I get charged the lower male price even though I have long, thick, lustrous, salon-quality hair.
What he really wanted to write.

Chazwozel

I do tip more than 15 when I get a haircut. It takes a long time and skill (and a bit of art), and I appreciate that. Also, I feel bad since I get charged the lower male price even though I have long, thick, lustrous, salon-quality hair.
What he really wanted to write.[/QUOTE]

Either way I'm jealous of anyone that has long, thick, lustrous, salon-quality hair.

Fucking genetics...

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

How much should one tip cows?

Chibibar

preferably NOT after a rainstorm ;)

Nile

Nile

20% is generally what I give. If the service is amazing, I'll leave something extra. If it's not, and it's something within your power to fix, I'll adjust it accordingly.

Like, say the food is taking a long time. Sure, I'm not happy with the service, but if they keep coming back to check on us, then you can be relatively sure that it's a problem with the cooks, not the server. Odds are they're just as annoyed/angry that your food is taking as long as it is.

redapples

In the UK they just passed a law which requires restaurants to pay minimum wage. Tips cannot be (now) used to make the wage up to the minimum. A big issue here is that if you pay cash it generally goes to the server if you add it on to your credit card payment the restaurant takes it. Not in all cases but still...

I generally tip 10% which is the norm in the UK but I will with hold the tip. One of my big gripes (because I'm a pedant) is when a menu adds an 's' to the end of a dish and I get 1 I wont tip.

So fishcakes is plural, filo parcels is plural. Plural assumes more than 1.

Crap food, no way will I tip. Rude servers. Ixnay Oneymay.

As for level of service I generally work on the mark down approach rather than 'it has to be this good'. I worked bars for a long time (about 10 years) and tipping is not that common here. I don't mind tipping in bars but here is an example of what I mean. Me and a friend went to a bar, we ordered a drink and sat for a while. I went up for another round. In the intervening time exactly no other customer had come in. I asked for the same again. The guy behind the bar asked 'and what was that?'. You can guess how much of a tip he got from me. Personally I have remembered rounds of 15 or more drinks during a busy pre-Christmas lunch time so no way am I accepting not remembering a pint of beer and a gin and tonic on a dead shift.

Dusty668

Go big, or go home baaaaayby!

strawman

strawman

So basically, what I'm asking is if you tip or not? Do you think it's a good practice?
I am a cog in the system. 20% unless they really, really screw up at full service restaurants.

Never for pickup or counter service except in the case of Cold Stone Creamery - I'll add money to the tip jar because it makes them sing a song, and I'm fully in favor of more singing at restaurants.

How heavily does the quality of the service apply to your amount?
Not a whole lot. They have to mess up pretty badly to get me to go to 15%. If I feel the service has been so poor that they deserve 10% or less, I'll tell them - it seems pretty passive aggressive to deny them the culturally-required tip without giving them feedback. Usually they don't care by that point though, so it's hardly worth the effort.

I'm pretty sure all US servers get paid below minimum wage
Pretty much, which is why I always tip. When I go to a restaurant I factor in the cost of the tip with the meal - it's simply the cost of going out.

Remove tips and restaurant costs would go up - perhaps not as much as 20%, but they couldn't be as low as they are without the system, so as far as I'm concerned it's merely the way the system works.

My wife was a server in high school for a small town shop, though, and she's much, much more critical. When she tips it's pretty much 10% and up if they give exceptional service, and down to 0 (pretty easily) if they mess up at all. If the glasses on the table are below 1/3 full for more than a minute or two, DING! and the tip goes down.

Do worse than that and you're likely to get a dime under an upside down glass filled with water.

Jay

Jay

I usually tip 15% if the service is satisfactory. I tip a bit more (20%) if service has been outstanding (aka: prompt seats, fast with the drinks and food, follow-up service and not being neglected during the meal). The no-tip rarely happens unless something incredibly shitty has happened and the server could have handled it.

phil

phil

15-20% or 2 dollars minimum. Sometimes my bill is only like 6 bucks to start with so I'll throw down 2 or 3 just to make sure it was still worth it. I don't really tip less because I'm hard to offend I guess. I don't want the guy to talk to me, so when they don't I don't consider it a bad experience. I'm not sure what some people expect sometimes, a HJ in the back? Fuck you, you got your food.

For delivery I go for 3-5, which since I usually order online I just throw that on the card too.

If I pick it up to go I only do like a buck or two in the tip jar.

I would prefer that tipping was not needed and waiters just got paid more.