Torchwood 3x01 "Children of Earth, "Day One" (spoilers ahoy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite frankly, if they had made Torchwood like this while it was actually a regular series, it would have gone into orbit, ratings wise.

The whole Children of Earth series was EPIC.

I liked Gwen's speech about the Doctor at on the video tape.

I don't think that Jack taking off was in any way a break from his character. Besides, if the Doctor can just up and dump off his companions to go traipsing around the stars, how does Jack doing the same thing make him less of a hero.

Of course, the doctor wouldn't have fried his own grandson, regardless of how many people it would save, but still.

V

Veteran

Jack was originally created as this happy-go-lucky, trigger happy, wham-bam-shag-your-mam adventurer, and we grew to love him. Torchwood was made on the back of the character's popularity. So to see him end up as this tragic figure is why I thought the ending was a little off. Great story, but a shame Jack became what he did.

John Barrowman is scheduled for the two-part Christmas special. I don't see how you can effectively bring Jack back as a (however brief) companion, unless it's as a *gasp* bad guy. Or an alcoholic.

Veteran said:
Jack was originally created as this happy-go-lucky, trigger happy, wham-bam-shag-your-mam adventurer, and we grew to love him.
In an episode written by Stephen Moffat. Coincidence?

Yeah, but Jack is written a little differently (aka: more "kid friendly") when he appears in Doctor Who. He's a little more jokey, I think. Or maybe it's just me thinking that.

ThatNickGuy said:
Yeah, but Jack is written a little differently (aka: more "kid friendly") when he appears in Doctor Who. He's a little more jokey, I think. Or maybe it's just me thinking that.
He was written that way in Dr Who, because Dr Who is a family show.

Bowielee said:
ThatNickGuy said:
He was written that way in Dr Who, because Dr Who is a family show.
Sorry, yeah, that was kind of the point I was trying to make.

M

Mr_Chaz

Veteran said:
Jack was originally created as this happy-go-lucky, trigger happy, wham-bam-shag-your-mam adventurer, and we grew to love him. Torchwood was made on the back of the character's popularity. So to see him end up as this tragic figure is why I thought the ending was a little off.
But after the things he'd had to do, could it be any other way?

Mr_Chaz said:
Veteran said:
Jack was originally created as this happy-go-lucky, trigger happy, wham-bam-shag-your-mam adventurer, and we grew to love him. Torchwood was made on the back of the character's popularity. So to see him end up as this tragic figure is why I thought the ending was a little off.
But after the things he'd had to do, could it be any other way?
See, that's also one of the things we have to remember about the character. His last adventure with the Doctor (where he died and was brought back) happened Hundreds of years before his current run in Torchwood, and it's already been established that he spent a good deal of that time dealing with some pretty tough stuff, not the least of which was being abandoned by the Doctor.

THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING!

The man has lived hundreds of years, seeing everyone he loves eventually die, fighting constantly, failing to save people countless times.... having to kill his grandchild was just the cherry on top of a long, long, long, hard life.

V

Veteran

Yeah, that's true. The passage of time is easy to forget I suppose. He was also buried alive under Cardiff for the best part of 2000 years wasn't he?

figmentPez

Staff member
Calleja said:
I certainly hope it's not the last series, though.
I can't seem to remember where I read it, I thought it was on IO9, but I heard there was another series ready to go if the ratings are/were good enough for "Children of Earth".

Status
Not open for further replies.