Export thread

Tragic the Garnering

Limit: 500

Frank

Frank

Or as it is more colloquially known, Magic the Gathering.

I have been playing a fucking ridiculous amount of this stupid, addictive, expensive, predatory card game with my nerd friends. Even dragging my girlfriend kicking and screaming into it. She's even getting a hardcore edge to her. I quite literally just finished a 7 hour game session with 4 other guys. It was fun as hell.

I started playing it in junior high when Revised edition was the new thing but fell out of it pretty quickly, picking it up every once in a while over the years but never really getting quite into it. Last year I was introduced to some new friends and they were all hardcore into the game. I started out making fun of them for it but eventually relented playing one of their decks. A year later I have spent....too much. TOO GOD DAMN MUCH. But I love it.

I'm still pretty casual skill level wise but my deck building is getting good enough that I can hold my own against the most experienced player of the group more times than I don't and my decks are no longer 85 card unwieldy monsters and I have learned the art of separating the wheat from the chaff to create cohesive masterpieces.

Right now my most successful decks are a red/green Xenagos devotion deck and a mono-red token generating nightmare deck featuring Purphoros the face hurter.

So, there's got to be some Magic players on here, we're too nerdy a bunch for it to be possible otherwise.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Or as it is more colloquially known, Magic the Gathering.

I have been playing a fucking ridiculous amount of this stupid, addictive, expensive, predatory card game with my nerd friends. Even dragging my girlfriend kicking and screaming into it. She's even getting a hardcore edge to her. I quite literally just finished a 7 hour game session with 4 other guys. It was fun as hell.

I started playing it in junior high when Revised edition was the new thing but fell out of it pretty quickly, picking it up every once in a while over the years but never really getting quite into it. Last year I was introduced to some new friends and they were all hardcore into the game. I started out making fun of them for it but eventually relented playing one of their decks. A year later I have spent....too much. TOO GOD DAMN MUCH. But I love it.

I'm still pretty casual skill level wise but my deck building is getting good enough that I can hold my own against the most experienced player of the group more times than I don't and my decks are no longer 85 card unwieldy monsters and I have learned the art of separating the wheat from the chaff to create cohesive masterpieces.

Right now my most successful decks are a red/green Xenagos devotion deck and a mono-red token generating nightmare deck featuring Purphoros the face hurter.

So, there's got to be some Magic players on here, we're too nerdy a bunch for it to be possible otherwise.
Play Magic in High School. Haven't played a card game until Hearthstone.
Too many expansions too quickly. Too many cards being unable to be used in type 2 too fast. However if I still had a group of friends that played like I did in my local comic book shop in High School I probably would still be into it.

Frank

Frank

I dunno, a set is good in type 2 for 2 years. That's not awful (not great). So far I've found that by the time a new set is set for release the group is champing at the bit for it to be released to appease our need of new cardboard crack.

Our group plays a lot of Modern and EDH too, so old cards see a lot of use. It helps that we're all Albertans with gubm't jobs or work in industry so there's generally more dollars than sense in the group.

I just finished my terrible (but incredibly fun) EDH deck I have named: Fuck, Minotaurs Man.

I don't get to play too often at the local store like most of the guys do since it's timing with my work is usually contradictory.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I got into MTG at the start of 4th ed, and got out during Stronghold. I have an uncomfortable amount of money tied up in cards which are mostly M/NM but which haven't been used since 1998 since I got out of the scene when it became obvious they were going to come out with sets faster than I could afford to keep up with 'em (they came out with THREE sets that year?). I think I have purchased 3 or so boosters since then, but I swore I wouldn't get back into it because I outright just can't afford to waste money on cards (no matter HOW fun it is) when my cards will all "expire" after 2 years. I just can't afford the "$=fun, but ++$=++fun!" game mechanic.

--Patrick

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

@Frank - I remember there being a new expansion pack coming out more frequent than once every 2yrs and every expansion pack drastically changed Type 2. Maybe it's better now and is less frequent. I just wasn't keen on spending $200+ every few months to stay competitive.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I just can't afford the "$=fun, but ++$=++fun!" game mechanic.

--Patrick
M:tG - the original micro-transaction game. Except their business model needed some work as to what is considered "micro" :p

Krisken

Krisken

I started Magic back when 3rd first came out. The Dark was still available, Fallen Empires came out at this time. Played through 6th edition and bought everything in-between.

Got to the point I just couldn't afford to play anymore. I was also playing L5R and had other hobbies which I found more fun. This fall I started playing Fantasy Flight's Android: Netrunner and got heavy into that. A month ago someone brought basic Magic decks and we played them at our game day, and to be honest I was unimpressed. Netrunner is just a superior game overall and only requires $15 a month to stay up to date, no rare chasing required.

Frank

Frank

@Frank - I remember there being a new expansion pack coming out more frequent than once every 2yrs and every expansion pack drastically changed Type 2. Maybe it's better now and is less frequent. I just wasn't keen on spending $200+ every few months to stay competitive.
They generally do a basic set (the yearly large set) and a block set each year (one large set and two small ones). So, four sets (I think about 800 cards) a year. All of them stay in type 2 standard for about two years until a new basic set comes out then that rotates the sets before the last ones out of type 2.

And that wasn't clear at all.

Set 1 comes out in summer. Block 1 set comes out over christmas and spring and such. Set 2 comes out the following summer. Block set 2 comes out following christmas and spring and such. Set 3 comes out in the summer and now, Set 1 and Block 1 is rotated out of standard after about two years in play.[DOUBLEPOST=1393368950,1393368905][/DOUBLEPOST]
I started Magic back when 3rd first came out. The Dark was still available, Fallen Empires came out at this time. Played through 6th edition and bought everything in-between.

Got to the point I just couldn't afford to play anymore. I was also playing L5R and had other hobbies which I found more fun. This fall I started playing Fantasy Flight's Android: Netrunner and got heavy into that. A month ago someone brought basic Magic decks and we played them at our game day, and to be honest I was unimpressed. Netrunner is just a superior game overall and only requires $15 a month to stay up to date, no rare chasing required.
I like Android but I like the variety Magic has, but yeah, it's expensive.[DOUBLEPOST=1393369177][/DOUBLEPOST]
I got into MTG at the start of 4th ed, and got out during Stronghold. I have an uncomfortable amount of money tied up in cards which are mostly M/NM but which haven't been used since 1998 since I got out of the scene when it became obvious they were going to come out with sets faster than I could afford to keep up with 'em (they came out with THREE sets that year?). I think I have purchased 3 or so boosters since then, but I swore I wouldn't get back into it because I outright just can't afford to waste money on cards (no matter HOW fun it is) when my cards will all "expire" after 2 years. I just can't afford the "$=fun, but ++$=++fun!" game mechanic.

--Patrick
They don't really expire though. In Standard/Type 2 play, yeah. But most guys I know are big into Legacy and Modern (in which cards do not expire, some get banned when they affect the format too heavily) as well.

And Commander/EDH as well, which is my favorite way to play. You want as many players as you can get together. Everyone has a deck made of 100 cards, none of which can be the same (except basic lands) with a single legendary card as the commander. It's such a politicking fun time forming alliances and being backstabbed and backstabbing and squabbling. Fantastic.

I totally understand the money concerns though. I usually spend a couple hundred bucks every new set.

Krisken

Krisken

They generally do a basic set (the yearly large set) and a block set each year (one large set and two small ones). So, four sets (I think about 800 cards) a year. All of them stay in type 2 standard for about two years until a new basic set comes out then that rotates the sets before the last ones out of type 2.

And that wasn't clear at all.

Set 1 comes out in summer. Block 1 set comes out over christmas and spring and such. Set 2 comes out the following summer. Block set 2 comes out following christmas and spring and such. Set 3 comes out in the summer and now, Set 1 and Block 1 is rotated out of standard after about two years in play.[DOUBLEPOST=1393368950,1393368905][/DOUBLEPOST]

I like Android but I like the variety Magic has, but yeah, it's expensive.
I can understand that. The factions in Netrunner help to keep balance, and once another cycle finishes (which it is soon) and another big box expansion hits there will be a TON of variety. Having 4+ ID's for each faction will ensure that.

Plus, being able to spend your actions for money, cards, or doing things means there aren't the problems tied to being boned because you didn't draw enough land cards.

Magic is a great game that started the whole CCG thing. I just think NR is the next logical step which improved on the model.

Vrii

Vrii

I typically go out to release events with a couple of friends, it's a good excuse to get people together and fuck around for a weekend. Between launches I'll maybe do a draft or two online, but I don't play a lot - I've never had as much fun playing constructed as I do with limited formats, probably because I've never been able to drop $2-300 to have a top-end competitive deck.

Covar

Covar

None of my friends handle losing well at all so I stopped playing. I wasn't particularly good (or bad), I just got tired of never getting credit, or accused of being cheap for winning.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Started with Ice Age, left after Mirage. Game is fun but I didn't have cash for cards and it was hard to find people to play against once they banned it in the schools. Just not worth it after that.

Krisken

Krisken

Magic works best if there is a store nearby which supports it with tournaments and play area.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Lord, I played and spent way too much money on card games from high school through my twenties.

I started playing Magic around the same time @Krisken did. I stopped playing after the set that had the Sliver Queen in it, because I remember using her in an infinite sliver deck as one of my last ones.

Played the X-Files card game. Got both Mulder and Scully, which pissed off my best friend who played as well. :D

Played the Star Trek card game.

Played the Wizards of the Coast's Star Wars card game. My best friend won the regional championship in 2003 and took me with him to GenCon that year. I qualified in the tournament the day before and we both got to play in the world championship there. I got my ass handed to me by the only girl in the tournament that year in the first round! :p

Jay

Jay

I used to play this with some RL friends at work. At first we all had standard decks, mostly cost us a few buck each. I had a Green/White combo going and we used to play during lunch breaks and whatnot. It was fun.

After a few months, a new series of the cards came and most of them went ahead and payed a ridiculous amount of money. Suddenly, Rares were everywhere and all kinds of ridiculous, pre-made decks came out with cards perfectly aligned with awesome synergy.

It stopped getting interesting for me as I knew where this was heading.

People had "artifact" decks and all kinds of cheapass, expensive ways to pay to win.

Haven't played since... 2004? Shiit.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Hi, I'm redthirtyone, & I'm a recovering Magiholic.

Started back when Revised was plentiful. Legends had JUST come out (and - sadly - SOLD out) so it was still a few months before The Dark came out. Unfortunately I had a comic store a few doors down the strip mall from the restaurant I managed, so my routine for the better part of that summer, 5 days a week, was to head in & buy 4 boosters on my way in to work (back in the day when boosters were $2.49/pack... ahhhh the good ole days).

I played through the Dark, FE, 4E & Ice Age. The first time I quit was the Homelands/Alliances era. Then I picked back up in the Mirage block, followed by the Tempest block. Quit again, but usually every 2 years or so I would start hanging with a new set of friends who were playing, & I'd get back into it. Mirrodin was one I remember getting a bunch of. The Urza's Saga block was another. Then this last relapse was a couple of years ago with the new Mirrodin sets.

Usually my burnout was quick. Playing with friends, you start to learn their decks & you eventually don't even have to play the cards to know how the game will go. I've toyed with playing competitively, but I don't have the support circle to play the metagame. I do like sealed-deck formats, however, because it limits the overpowered cards that make for ridiculous combos.

I have an insane collection. Probably a little over 1K rares. A 3200 count box full of uncommons & countless boxes of commons. All ranging from RV to the latest Mirrodin stuff, with some gaps in between. I have at one time owned every single one of the power 9 + countless other rare OoP cards. In the mid 90's I sold off most of the good stuff in order to buy my first PC - a top of the line Pentium 75 with 800Mb HDD, 1Mb RAM and a QUAD-SPEED CD-rom drive (lest I forget about the 14.4 kick ass modem).

I keep trying to get out, but they keep pulling me back innnnn!

Krisken

Krisken

My rare binder had 37 duel lands. Not the pain or delay lands, but real duel lands.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Yeah at one time I think I had a full playset of 4 of each of those. Still have around 8 I think. I know I have an Italian Underground Sea.

The worst part was when I was buying all that RV, there was a list that said what cards in RV replaced the OoP cards they removed from UL - specifically on the printing sheets. So you could in effect go through & say - "If this pack had been a UL pack instead of RV, this Thoughtlace would have been a Timetwister"

I still wouldn't have had many Lotii, but the number of Mox I would have had... :(

Frank

Frank

The real revised dual lands make me cry to this day.

I had a bunch from when I was a kid but lost all my Magic from that time in a flood.

Terrik

Terrik

The real revised dual lands make me cry to this day.

I had a bunch from when I was a kid but lost all my Magic from that time in a flood.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Ugh - that reminds me of this guy we used to play with. You'd get seasick because he'd rock back & forth in his chair while playing. Like 60 bpm.

Anyways, somewhere along the way he'd been in a pretty serious car accident with his cards in the car. He had some awesome stuff, but it was all ruined because in the accident I guess they'd all come loose & then while they were laying on the broken glass they got trampled over. So he had a bunch of power 9 cards & the like that was all pocked like they'd been printed in braille.

Oh - the stories...

Frank

Frank

Normally I'm a person who loathes Let's Plays. I hate them. I don't like watching people play video games and I don't understand their appeal. However, since becoming fond of Commander/EDH Magic, I've really gotten into watching these guys from Star City Games play Commander. Mostly because they have fantastic banter. Most Magic you find on Youtube is mostly lifeless, dull nerds who take the game way too seriously. These guys just banter and jaw jack constantly, never taking it seriously. I like them.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I started playing around beta, stopped buying cards around 97 and gave away my entire collection in 2003. Kept 2 decks as momentos, one a flip a coin deck and the other a landless denial deck.

Do people still play for ante? Those were my favourite games.

Frank

Frank

Journey to Nyx is about to release and after the disappointment that Born of the Gods has been (WHY YOU SO BAD MOGIS?????) I am stoked like a bonfire (of the damned) for it.

Already have my America/France/Great Britain/Puerto Rico control deck planned out. It involves lots of not letting the other person play, then playing monster cards like Theros' Elspeth (pictured below) and Keranos, God of Storms to be the finishers. Keranos' god ability is wonderful. It's basically a free card every turn, 40 percent of which are cards from your deck, 60 percent of which are lightning bolts.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Ugh. I really HATE the "this card is super badass & there's no way you can get rid of it" cards.

Frank

Frank

This block is loaded with exile and god killers. Hell, there's a piece of equipment specifically for murdering the Theros pantheon. There's even a card called Deicide which depicts Elspeth using Godsend to kill Xenagos, the God of Revels. Even without them, the gods themselves are kept in check with their devotion mechanic. If you don't have enough permanents with the right mana symbols in play, they're just enchantments. They don't have enough believers to make them tangible.

Krisken

Krisken

Good lord, that looks annoying.

Jay

Jay

God of Storm card... how the fuck is that fun to play against?

Frank

Frank

God of Storm card... how the fuck is that fun to play against?
Theros block has 15 gods to choose from. 5 mono-coloureds and 10 duals. They all have powers and require devotion to be creatures. I think only a couple have actually been standard playable.

You can look at a couple of the really big cards and say it doesn't look fun, but Theros has been a really fun block to play and SUPER loaded with Greek mythology flavour.

From

to

My favorite God (well, the one I was most looking forward to in the last set) ended up being pretty much complete shit. I still love him though, and have a playmat of him. I still try to get minotaurs working....even though they're all terrible.

Getting that 7 devotion is pretty much impossible against any deck with removal and dealing 2 damage a turn (usually) sucks.

But if you think Keranos is bad, check out Athreos.

Krisken

Krisken

Nothing like seeing the new cards to make me happy I got out of the game a decade ago.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Nothing like seeing the new cards to make me happy I got out of the game a decade ago.
Yep.

Zappit

Zappit

I still love the game, though EDH (hate calling it Commander) is probably my favorite format.

The game has gotten ridiculously, prohibitively expensive lately, mostly because the game's player base has exploded over the last few years - roughly quadrupled. Try playing one of the eternal formats with such a high demand for a generally small pool of cards.

A bunch of my Modern-legal cards have just blown up in price. I traded for a set of Dark Confidants back when they were just a couple bucks. Now they're around $70. The Zendikar fetchlands are all hanging at $50+, and that set's only a few years old. My Modern legal cards alone are probably almost worth two grand as a whole. All I did was hang onto old cards.

It's almost impossible to build the top Modern decks without dropping over a grand, and Modern was intended to be the affordable eternal format. Wizards just isn't reprinting at the rate they need to be. The only big price drop in a staple was Thoughtseize, which was reprinted in Theros. It went from $60 down to just under $20.

And those god cards aren't usually creatures. The current standard blocks came with a boatload of viable elimination cards for crowd control. They're not terrible to face. Although, Atheros would really like to be in my Modern deck...

Frank

Frank

Modern Masters, which was apparently intended to increase the amount of Modern staples out there had a lesser print run than players it attracted to Modern too and ended up inflating prices further.

I'm also pretty much all in on EDH. Love it. Building my fourth deck right now, which is a token generating green white. I already have my terrible (ly fun) black/red minotaurs, blue/red insanity combo (involves drawing all the cards, having nigh infinite mana and casting all the spells to kill everyone in one orgiastic turn) and my current favorite, mono-black zombie deck. Every card in the zombie deck is zombie flavour.[DOUBLEPOST=1398375015,1398374930][/DOUBLEPOST]
And those god cards aren't usually creatures. The current standard blocks came with a boatload of viable elimination cards for crowd control. They're not terrible to face. Although, Atheros would really like to be in my Modern deck...
Yeah, exactly. The gods look meaner than they generally are. Only a couple of them are actually worthwhile.

Most are bad, like Mogis and Heliod.

Zappit

Zappit

I've got about seven EDH decks. A traditional Kaalia deck, packed with dragons, demons, and angels is probably my favorite right now. I've got an Animar deck that's almost entirely artifact creatures and Eldrazi is fun as all get out. When you can drop enormous critters for free, it doesn't make any friends, but it's fun. The only two decks I don't like to bring to group games are my Azami deck and my Sliver Queen deck. They're combo decks that can win in one explosive finish.

And Frank - get yourself a Night Soil for that token deck. It owns graveyards and gives you plenty of tokens.

Frank

Frank

I've got about seven EDH decks. A traditional Kaalia deck, packed with dragons, demons, and angels is probably my favorite right now. I've got an Animar deck that's almost entirely artifact creatures and Eldrazi is fun as all get out. When you can drop enormous critters for free, it doesn't make any friends, but it's fun. The only two decks I don't like to bring to group games are my Azami deck and my Sliver Queen deck. They're combo decks that can win in one explosive finish.

And Frank - get yourself a Night Soil for that token deck. It owns graveyards and gives you plenty of tokens.
Hells yeah that's going in there. It's a magic card name that literally means pools of shit and it makes tokens. I cannot not get behind it.

Frank

Frank

I'm suddenly filled with the urge (after playing some Duels 2013) to make a blue/white/green enchantment based EDH deck. The only bummer is the cost of the mana base usually (even skipping the fetches and real duals).

Zappit

Zappit

Go blue/white. Make Bruna your commander. Most of the top utility auras are in her colors.

What could work with this?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hanna doesn't look that useful because tapping is part of the cost, so it can only be done once per turn cycle.
The Kor Spiritdancer reminds me of another card which could be useful.

--Patrick

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

The Kor Spiritdancer reminds me of another card which could be useful.

--Patrick
My friend had a whole deck based around that card. Complete with Crown of the Ages.

Necronic

Necronic

Jesus christ those creatures. So glad I stopped playing that game.

Not super happy that I lots all my Arabian Nights, Antiquities, and other valuable cards like my Moxes. I think the only valuable card I have any more is a severely tattered Word of Command from Beta or...whatever the first reprint of beta is....ultima?

edit: Holy fuck I just looked up how much a mox is worth.

fml....I think my collection would have put a sizeable down payment on a car....

edit: I keep looking up cards. Why am I DOING THIS. I am getting nauseous.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Jesus christ those creatures. So glad I stopped playing that game.

Not super happy that I lots all my Arabian Nights, Antiquities, and other valuable cards like my Moxes. I think the only valuable card I have any more is a severely tattered Word of Command from Beta or...whatever the first reprint of beta is....ultima?

edit: Holy fuck I just looked up how much a mox is worth.

fml....I think my collection would have put a sizeable down payment on a car....

edit: I keep looking up cards. Why am I DOING THIS. I am getting nauseous.
"Unlimited"

I still mean to catalog all my cards and eBay 'em or something. I don't think I'll make back the entire $3-4k I spent on them, but whatever.

--Patrick

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

On that note - anybody have any suggestions on where to post to sell a collection? Started using deckbox to catalog my collection. I have over 1K of rares, mostly from RV on up. Have another 5K box of uncommons & countless commons. Catalogued about 500 rares so far of basic sets up to 8E, AN, AQ, LG & DK. Whatever deckbox uses for values has it around $1800 so far. Most of those are chump rares worth 25c or less, but I do have a Bazaar of Baghdad & 5 dual lands so far. Looking around at prices I know I have some big ticket items left to catalog (Gaea's Cradles, Serra's Sanctums etc)

I know how it works. Not gonna get top dollar. But since I'm not really a "motivated seller", I can take or leave it. Would prefer to get rid of the whole shebang rather than allow it to get picked over leaving me with all the garbage. Problem is, asking price & volume are probably gonna be somewhat prohibitive. Long, long ago when I sold off all my REAL moneymakers (*sigh) i did it thru usenet boards (alt.games.mtg? I think), but I doubt those are as populated as they once were.

Anyways, any suggestions are welcomed. I do also plan on checking with my local shop first, but i've dealt with him before, so that's a crapshoot. It'll all depend on what it all values at once I'm done cataloguing.

Necronic

Necronic

oh god don't tell me dual lands are worth a lot....

I need to hide this thread.

Krisken

Krisken

oh god don't tell me dual lands are worth a lot....

I need to hide this thread.
Yeah, I had 37 of them. It makes me sad now.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Still have all of my cards. I have a shoebox plus a humidor full. I doubt I have much of anything worthwhile.

Zappit

Zappit

On that note - anybody have any suggestions on where to post to sell a collection? Started using deckbox to catalog my collection. I have over 1K of rares, mostly from RV on up. Have another 5K box of uncommons & countless commons. Catalogued about 500 rares so far of basic sets up to 8E, AN, AQ, LG & DK. Whatever deckbox uses for values has it around $1800 so far. Most of those are chump rares worth 25c or less, but I do have a Bazaar of Baghdad & 5 dual lands so far. Looking around at prices I know I have some big ticket items left to catalog (Gaea's Cradles, Serra's Sanctums etc)

I know how it works. Not gonna get top dollar. But since I'm not really a "motivated seller", I can take or leave it. Would prefer to get rid of the whole shebang rather than allow it to get picked over leaving me with all the garbage. Problem is, asking price & volume are probably gonna be somewhat prohibitive. Long, long ago when I sold off all my REAL moneymakers (*sigh) i did it thru usenet boards (alt.games.mtg? I think), but I doubt those are as populated as they once were.

Anyways, any suggestions are welcomed. I do also plan on checking with my local shop first, but i've dealt with him before, so that's a crapshoot. It'll all depend on what it all values at once I'm done cataloguing.
Starcity Games has one of the better buylists out there. You'll probably get more value from them, especially if you're dealing with older cards, as they're really the only entity really supporting the popular Legacy format.

Frank

Frank

So, I'm a little type 2 burnt out. I've had enough of mutavault and pack rat to last a life time.

Conspiracy looks fun as hell.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Guy opens an alpha starter deck as part of a comment contest for the commons in it. Fast forward to 8:15.

Krisken

Krisken

Last year a 9.5 rated Alpha Black Lotus sold for $27,000. I'd be excited too if I opened a box of cards and somehow found a car.

Frank

Frank

So, I know @Bowielee has talked about getting into Magic recently. I too have been enjoying a lot more EDH/Commander play than I had before. This is the deck I just built:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/17-08-15-skullbriar-edh/

It's relatively competitive without resorting to super fast infinite combos and land destruction. It's super fun to play and ramps quick like a mother fucker, making sure Skullbriar (the commander) is always in play.

Zappit

Zappit

First glance, Frank, that deck could really benefit from the following:
Lightning Greaves - protect that commander
Forgotten Ancient - really helps pump Skullbriar
Maelstrom Pulse - wipes out tokens, too
Uvenwald Tracker - reusable removal when you have a fattie in play

Frank

Frank

Maelstrom Pulse is in it. I didn't have anymore Lightning Greaves, already used them all in other decks. I do need a reusable fight card, that's true and Fight Bear is always the best choice, because it's effing Fight Bear. Forgotten Ancient is a good call as well.

Frank

Frank

Holy shit, I have 12 Commander decks now. I may have a problem. I generally refuse to run nonsense like Jhoira of the Ghitu (Eldrazi on turn 4, FUN FOR EVERYONE!).

1. Zombay, Zombay, Zomba-ay-ay-ay!, used to use Lim-Dul the Necromancer as the commander, but now runs a ton more token generators and this foxy lady.

2. Chicks Dig Giant Robots! Colourless artifact deck starring good ole Karn the Silver Golem as Commander. Features such friendlies as Blightsteel Colossus and Darksteel Colossus and pretty much every colossus in Magic, except for Sardia, because he's terrible. This deck is hilariously unassuming playing tons of low cost utility artifacts until I suddenly have an army of indestructible colossi.

3. Izzet Me? Izzet You? Izzet shenanigans deck starring Melek, the Izzet Paragon. It's basically Storm using Sphinx Bone Wand.

4. I HUNGER!! This is a red green token deck with Thromok the Insatiable. I make tokens and Thromok eats them. Then Thromok eats my opponents. Or I wish he did. This one is the most in need of retooling. It rarely works properly.

5. Dead Angels. Angel reanimator deck starring Tariel, the Reckoner of Souls. This deck has so many mana rocks that if I start the game with my Sol Ring it's almost guaranteed that I'll have 4-5 mana available by turn 2. Which is almost in range to start casting angels! Also, her art is by Wayne Reynolds of a shitload of Pathfinder and D&D whom I adore.

6. Madness from the Deep. A mono-blue Cthulhu themed deck featuring tons of deep sea monstrosities and amazing effects that turn other people's creatures against theme. Super thematic but surprisingly powerful. This deck makes me target number one unless someone at the table is playing some nonsense like Brago or Kaalia.

7. It's a HELL of a Party! Rakdos demon themed with new Rakdos at the lead. This deck can have my hand empty of 7+ casting cost demons as soon as turn 4. I've won games on turn 4-5 against 4 opponents through sheer aggressiveness. Sometimes it flops around and does nothing. It's why no one can be sure when I play this fun as hell deck.

8. Some People Just Want to Watch the World Burn. Ashling the Pilgrim. Lots of burn everything spells. Lots of ways to give her protection red, lifelink and deathtouch. When she's equipped with Loxodon Warhammer or Basilisk Collar, I get to watch my life total go from 20-40 to 200+ in big kaboom. This deck is great fun for me. She's also done by Wayne Reynolds, which sells her for me completely.

9. Worshippers of the False God. An Allies tribal deck with Karona the False God at the helm. It's derpy and silly and not great, especially against tribal decks like Slivers but it's usually fun to dick around with and it's a way to cool off aggro on myself when I've been playing stuff like Ashling and Lorthos.

10. Justice League Dominaria. Yessir, another 5 colour deck. This time led by Cromat, because, whatever, the commander doesn't matter. It's got 23 of the 24 separate named planeswalkers in it (no Tibalt because he's awful). Some take extra turn effects, some proliferate effects, the chain veil etc. Unfortunately, I'm not willing to throw down 100+ dollars for a Jace the Mind Sculptor so it'll probably always be just a bit sub-optimal. It's friggin' rad to run though.

11. Rats, Foiled Again! Monoblack Rat tribal with 25 Relentless Rats and a bunch of other rats. There's a lot of fucking rats. There were a couple of good choices for commander of the deck, but Marrow-Gnawer is done by Wayne Reynolds, so he wins (also, he's the best choice).

12. What's Yours is Mine and What's Mine is Mine! Grixis deck with Marchesa the Black Rose at the helm. It's got about 12 different ways to steal other people's creatures and probably twice that many ways to sacrifice them so they become permanently under my control. Of all my decks, this one draws the most heat from people. People do not like this budgetish deck taking their expensive ass cards and giving them to me. I've literally never won with this deck because it really isn't that good, people just hate it.

13. I haven't come up with a name for this black/green aggressive deck featuring Skullbriar. The full list for this one is up above. I'm still waiting on some singles for this deck to arrive before I can try it. I'm excited to!

Anyone else play much (any) Commander?

Zappit

Zappit

I've got six Commander decks right now. I just took my Cromat deck apart a few days ago and retooled it to Scion of the Ur-Dragon. Which is a lot of fun with lots of reanimation spells. That's my only casual EDH deck, though.

Frank

Frank

Well, my Thromok deck has been retooled into a:

Deck. It's INFINITELY better. Now, instead of shitty token generators, he generates tokens out of amazing ETB creatures. Features such staples as Inferno Titan and Thundermaw Hellkite and about 2000 different ramp cards.

Also, with these Battle for Zendikar spoilers abound I've gotten a lot of new allies for my allies deck and more excitingly, a 5 colour (would be 4 colour if there were a 4 colour Legendary that excluded white) mostly colourless (DEVOIIIIID) Eldrazi deck. I decided to go with Progenitus as the commander since he's the closest in scale and power to an actual Eldrazi. I'm just gonna pretend his name is Progenrakul or something. I've only had to exclude a few of the Eldrazi creatures so far (Like Spawnsire). It's SUPER thematic and I can't wait to play a game of Commander Archenemy with this deck as the big villain.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

... does that effect duplicate the pumped value of spells or just the spell itself? For instance, if I pay BR to copy a 10 point Fireball, do I suddenly have 2 10-point fireballs or one pumped and one unpumped?

Still, you could wreck shit with just Lightning Bolts.

Frank

Frank

Yeah, if a spell has X as a component, the value of X is copied.

His creature copying ability (along with Doubling Season and the like) are why I'm playing him, though being able to double a Cultivate or an Explosive Vegetation would be great too.

Zappit

Zappit

Howl of the Horde, Frank. It triples a sorcery or instant after an attack. Double it with Riku, and that means you get NINE copies of the NEXT instant or sorcery. Play that Lightning Bolt after that for 27 damage for six mana.

PatrThom

PatrThom

(◊)
Clever.
Does this mean we'll see a mini-resUrzance?

--Patrick

Zappit

Zappit

The Urza lands are already HUGE in the Modern format, but the next block is going back to Innistrad.

What the new symbol does is give colorless EDH decks a basic land, and create a lot of player confusion for newer players.

Frank

Frank

Unless they give players a pack of the new wastes as part of the prerelease, I can see it being a bit of a mess. Here's a basic land no one has any of and a ton of cards that need it!

Colorless being it's own specific mana type does absolutely mean that Cloudpost will never, ever, for any reason, ever be unbanned.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The Urza lands are already HUGE in the Modern format, but the next block is going back to Innistrad.
I didn't mean Urza specifically, just mainly that we would see people go back to doing the whole "Gobs o' colorless mana" thing.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

I didn't mean Urza specifically, just mainly that we would see people go back to doing the whole "Gobs o' colorless mana" thing.

--Patrick
They banned the shit out of the best card for that:

Krisken

Krisken

I haven't played Magic in 10 years and even I can see how that would be broken.

Frank

Frank

It only became easier to break until they had to ban it. Cards like Vesuva or Thespian's Stage plus Cloudpost meant like nigh infinite colorless.

[DOUBLEPOST=1452744937,1452744470][/DOUBLEPOST]Speaking of magic. In my playgroup, I'm definitely the Izzet guy. I love blue/red. It's the best. My group is getting increasingly competitive with our Commander games, which is kind of unfortunate since I don't like the games as much as when they were much more casual fun loving games. Everyone else is getting ridiculous, so I got ridiculous. I present my masterpiece, Niv-Mizzet's wacky funky hand discardathon emporium of stupidity.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/niv-mizzet-edh-madness/

Now, would I like to have a Snapcaster or Cryptic Command in there, yes. I'm not shelling out nearly a c-note for a Snapcaster for this deck and I haven't gotten around to picking up any CCs.

Zappit

Zappit

Unless they give players a pack of the new wastes as part of the prerelease, I can see it being a bit of a mess. Here's a basic land no one has any of and a ton of cards that need it!

Colorless being it's own specific mana type does absolutely mean that Cloudpost will never, ever, for any reason, ever be unbanned.
No, the fun part is that every land that adds colorless mana is essentially errata'd to add the new colorless symbol instead.

But it does sound like there will be a healthy amount of Wastes out there. This set is getting a HUGE printing, and Wastes are seeded to be more common in packs.

And let's face it, Cloudpost will never, EVER be unbanned. They've printed a second locus land since, and Vesuva is still legal.

Zappit

Zappit

Well, if anyone plays Modern, you probably heard the ban news today. Summer Bloom got the axe, to no one's surprise, and Splinter Twin got banned, which was bullshit. Aaron Forsythe also basically admitted that the only reason they banned Twin was to shake up the format for the upcoming Modern Pro Tour. They did the same thing last year with Birthing Pod, except that was more justified, as it really did dominate to an extreme degree. Twin decks, however, we're only roughly 10-12% of the metagame, and served to keep other decks in check, such as Urzatron, which should become a real juggernaut now.

The message was made clear. A Tier 1 deck will be banned every year in order to freshen up the meta for the Pro Tour. I don't really play competitively, but I'm angry about it anyway. WoTC laid out the goals and definition for Modern and what the banlist criteria was right at the beginning, and the Twin ban flies in the face of all of that.

Frank

Frank

Playing modern is gambling now to an insane degree. Spend 2000 dollars on a deck, hope it doesn't get banned.

Zappit

Zappit

Playing modern is gambling now to an insane degree. Spend 2000 dollars on a deck, hope it doesn't get banned.
It really is. They reprinted Twin in Modern Masters 2015, but banned it several months later? You know they were planning on taking a step like this, so it was extremely misleading of Wizards.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I don't even play magic, and I can tell... Nothing, actually. I have no idea what any of this means, why do I even click on this thread?

Krisken

Krisken

I don't even play magic, and I can tell... Nothing, actually. I have no idea what any of this means, why do I even click on this thread?
If anything like me, you are curious every so often what is happening on the front of one of the most popular games in the world. I just have the added bonus of having played it for 6 years.

Zappit

Zappit

Oh, man. Both Christopher Rush and Wayne England passed away this week.

Frank

Frank

Chris Rush was the original great Magic artist. His skill with colour still puts most of the current digital artists to shame.

and
are great examples of this.

Jay

Jay

Rathi Dragons looks shiity

PatrThom

PatrThom

At the time it was really hard to get a 5/5 flier out there for < 5 mana.

--Patrick

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Yeah, back in the day that dragon was a QUICKLY casted big creature in my dragon deck I had.

Frank

Frank

Rathi Dragons looks shiity
As a card? Yeah, well, old creatures sucked compared to modern creatures. If you're talking about the art, we're gonna haveta fist fight.

Not everything can be as good as my current favorite Standard beastie:

2 mana for a 4/5 lord with vigilance? Sure, I'll take it.

Or this fella that ruled Standard for an entire year:

A 4/5 trample for 4 that also fucking lightning helixes (
)? Fuck off.

Frank

Frank

Here's my current EDH lists: http://www.mtgvault.com/fhorrigan/

I demolished most of my decks (except Giant Robots, because it's my favorite deck of all time and it rules).

Zappit

Zappit

Eternal Masters confirmed! Expect Legacy prices to further skyrocket.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Eternal Masters confirmed! Expect Legacy prices to further skyrocket.
Why would releasing a new set cause a legacy set's price to go up? Wouldn't it be the opposite?

--Patrick

Zappit

Zappit

Magic has a Reserved List, cards that will never, ever, ever be reprinted. It also features major Legacy staples like the original dual lands.

It looks like now that things have been announced, the secondary market is responding by raising prices on those Reserved List cards. A few staples might go down due to the reprints, but a lot will go up significantly.

Looks like those ultra-realistic Chinese proxies might see an uptick in interest.

Zappit

Zappit

Shadows Over Innistrad has been spoiled, and it looks FUN. There's viable cards for every format, and that's great. Plus, it's better art than the last few sets.

Even better, there's no fucking Eldrazi!

Frank

Frank

Just cleared out the bulk of my collection. Took all fucking day. Threw out 2 recycle bags way to heavy to lift of trash old cards that aren't worth their cardboard.

Down to just two three row long boxes of rares and playables.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Just cleared out the bulk of my collection. Took all fucking day. Threw out 2 recycle bags way to heavy to lift of trash old cards that aren't worth their cardboard.

Down to just two three row long boxes of rares and playables.
Aww. I bet some artist out there is disappointed.

--Patrick

Zappit

Zappit

Modern had some shockwaves today with a ban on Eye of Ugin and a pair of unbans - Ancestral Visions and Sword of the Meek.

Of course, the market reacted accordingly. The three dollar Sword is now thirty, and the ten dollar Visions is sixty, minimum. My collection just gained another two hundred bucks in value. Nice.

Frank

Frank

Yeah, glad I had a few Visions for my Commander decks.

Zappit

Zappit

Martin Shkreli, who you might know better as the PharmaBro, has decided to start buying up Reserved List cards. As someone who enjoys formats that use those cards - EDH and Legacy - I can only say...FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKK....

Frank

Frank

Yup, great.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Martin Shkreli, who you might know better as the PharmaBro, has decided to start buying up Reserved List cards. As someone who enjoys formats that use those cards - EDH and Legacy - I can only say...FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKK....
And he's almost certainly doing it to drive up the price of his own cards. I would not be surprised if this is the straw that finally breaks Wizard's back and forces them to end the Gentlemen's Agreement with the collectors. It's bad enough you NEED reserved list cards to win at a high level but if a large number of them suddenly end up in the hands of someone who never intends to play them, it's time to tell the collectors to fuck themselves for the good of the game.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I feel the same way about stamp collectors who buy the only other one of something in existence and then burn it because it will make the one they kept that much more valuable.

--Patrick

Zappit

Zappit

The thing holding back the Reserved List elimination isn't necessarily the collectors, but the stores that depend on selling singles. They don't make enough on sealed product, so selling individual cards are what keep those places going. Considering they also host tournaments, FNMs, and other sanctioned events, harming those businesses would be a big hit to WoTC themselves. They don't want to crater prices with a big reprint like a Standard set. That wouldn't be shooting themselves in the foot - it would be shoving the whole leg into a wood chipper.

But a Masters set wouldn't hurt prices much. Low print runs, and moving chase cards to mythic has kept prices stable. Hell, Tarmogoyf was reprinted THREE times and it's price has actually grown over time. It would be enough to keep the high-capital buyout-frenzied "capitalists" who are exploiting an unregulated market out of the game, stabilize prices, and put more cards in circulation, giving more people access to the cards. EDH and Legacy have seen favorite cards skyrocket in price over the last two weeks because of a very, very tiny group of individuals with a lot of money and even more greed. Not and exaggeration, as one of those high-rollers bought out Moat and rose its price by roughly $800. He also bought out other cards, raising their prices nearly five times their previous selling price.

PatrThom

PatrThom

one of those high-rollers bought out Moat and rose its price by roughly $800. He also bought out other cards, raising their prices nearly five times their previous selling price.
Rich White people, man.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

Death the reserve list.

What they should do is the Masters thing with Legacy and be more fucking liberal with the Modern reprints.

Zappit

Zappit

Good news is that TCGplayer, which is the biggest pricing aggregator, is changing their data collection effective immediately to blunt the manipulation of median prices, which are easiest to inflate. It should be a huge help in preventing the ridiculous price jumps.

Frank

Frank

Finally got my Super Friend EDH deck almost finished. Just ordered the last few planeswalkers I needed.

God damn this deck is expensive.

Only thing I'll be missing is the new Tamiyo. Hopefully I get one this weekend at pre-release.

Zappit

Zappit

I hear ya, Frank. I'm trying to finish a pair of Legacy decks. This shit ain't cheap.

Frank

Frank

A PAIR!

Feck.

Zappit

Zappit

A PAIR!

Feck.
I'm really only just a set of Wastelands away from my Pox build. The other one is an attempt to make the Donate-Illiuions of Grandeur deck viable again. Failing that, I do have nearly all the pieces for Merfolk.

PatrThom

PatrThom

What is this Kaladesh thing?
Vehicles?

--Patrick

Zappit

Zappit

Magic: The Go-Karting

Frank

Frank

I love the art of the new set.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I love the art of the new set.
You and everyone else.
More colors and clouds, less fewer tentacles and mud.

--Patrick

Zappit

Zappit

Honestly, this set gives me Urza Block feelings. Terrific, colorful art, lots of artifacts, an emphasis on artificers being able to create...

Looks fun, too.

PatrThom

PatrThom

lots of artifacts, an emphasis on artificers being able to create...
...and new artifacts which require...colored mana?

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

Went to a prerelease.

My deck was mono-red dragsters since I opened three of them, two dragons and the red Gearhulk.

I got 30 packs of Magic the Gathering tonight for 40 bucks.

I hauled ass in my dragulas.

3 of these:

2 of these (one foil):

1 of these:

Also got this badboi:

The dragons were the mvps. Oh, first striking flying 8/3's are good in sealed? Who'da thought?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So... the gimmick is the vehicles are basically cheap, efficient creatures that you need to activate with other creatures after their first turn? Okay, that's interesting at least.

Frank

Frank

The set is super fun. There's no world ending ultimate evil going on. It's just literally a steampunk inventor's fair where some no goodnicks are up to no good.

Vehicles are one gimmick, another is a new resource called energy.

Here's a great example:

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's...it's an artifact ball lightning!

A Dragon Whelp with haste and first strike but no dying from overload? Sign me up!

--Patrick

Zappit

Zappit

Dang, that's a potent draft deck. But yeah, @ParThom, colored artifacts have been around for awhile now. I think it goes all the way back to the Alara block.

Frank

Frank

Dang, that's a potent draft deck. But yeah, @ParThom, colored artifacts have been around for awhile now. I think it goes all the way back to the Alara block.
An even more potent sealed deck.

It is how I won 24 packs at a prerelease.

Zappit

Zappit

Commander spoilers are starting. Who's ready for four-color commanders? Who's ready for double commanders?

Frank

Frank

Commander spoilers are starting. Who's ready for four-color commanders? Who's ready for double commanders?
I've already built an artifact deck out of this lady:

Frank

Frank

So I made a new Super Friends Commander deck with

And basically was told after a handful of games that I wasn't allowed to play it anymore. It's just too good. There's nothing that feels worse than making a deck so overpoweringly oppressive that no one wants to play it anymore. Huge bummer.

Fuckers are lucky I didn't make a deck out of this asshole

Wizards just show that they hate EDH by printing this card. The literal most oppressive card ever printed in the format.

Zappit

Zappit

I too am building Atraxa, but I'm not going super friends. I chose to use some fun stuff like Darksteel Reactor and Azor's Elocuters.

Frank

Frank

My FLGS had all the 2016 Commander decks for 50% off this week for Boxing week sales.

So I bought all the ones I didn't have. 66 bucks for 3 decks? Rad.

Frank

Frank

Here's my Breya deck.

It is far and away the most fun deck I've ever built. You make like 20 decisions every turn.

http://www.mtgvault.com/fhorrigan/decks/breyas-wonderful-toys/

There are a lot of great cards I'd like to add to it, but cost is the issue. For the expensive cards the deck already has, I already owned most of them.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Why the Phyrexian Arena?

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

It's cheaper than most similar card draw engines and my life total is meaningless.

Also, I love it.

Zappit

Zappit

Anyone else looking forward to Modern Masters 3? It's the one that doesn't suck and reprinted cards people really wanted.

Frank

Frank

Still not enough to buy it. Watching some unboxings, there's too many RtR cards at mythic and I don't need any more Sphinx's Revs or the like. The rest of the reprints are great but I'm just hoping that it'll drop the price of Damnation a bit so I can snatch one or two.

Frank

Frank

Man, this is a humble brag I know, but my Commander decks are just too powerful for my playgroup. Like, the last one I made I did without using any online deckbuilding tools, I just went through my boxes and built a quick little Maelstrom Wanderer deck without extra turns or a lot of the stuff that makes Maelstrom Wanderer busted, but I still steamrolled all my friends without difficulty.

I'm having a hell of a time trying to 75% my decks where they still work and are powerful but have weaknesses and lose so my buddies all don't just get sick of losing to me all the time.

Even half-ass building a deck it still kicked the holy shit out of them because it ended up being too explosively powerful. Maelstrom Wanderer hitting Selvala's Stampede and Thunderfoot Baloth. God damn it. I got 6 huge beasties with trample and haste and +2/+2 for the price of one.

I think I'm just gonna stick to precons for a while.

Frank

Frank

I built a "group hug" deck. It's in quotes because it's Nekusar, the Mind Razor.

So, it's built around drawing everyone a ton of cards while still giving papa a little something when it dings them for the pleasure. I even avoided wheel effects to avoid the cheese wheel (I already have a supremely over-powered cheese wheel deck in Niv-Mizzet that exists only to punish competitive players at the LGS who netdeck their commander decks). It took all my restraint NOT to put Jin Gitaxis in the deck like a dick.

PatrThom

PatrThom

So, it's built around drawing everyone a ton of cards while still giving papa a little something when it dings them for the pleasure.
You make me miss Howling Mine.
And Library of Leng.
And Ivory Tower.
And having 4 of each in my deck.

--Patrick

Zappit

Zappit

Tell me that deck runs Seizan.

Frank

Frank

Of course it does.

Frank

Frank

This isn't exact, because I made a bunch of changes, but it gives you the bulk of the main idea.

http://www.mtgvault.com/fhorrigan/decks/1364417/

Dei

Dei

Frank

Frank

Banned in EDH/Commander

Good.

Fucking good.

Frank

Frank

Zombie tribal just won the pro-tour.

Why aren't I playing standard?!

Zappit

Zappit

Zombie tribal just won the pro-tour.

Why aren't I playing standard?!
Because you shouldn't be fooled. Standard has been shit for a long time now.

Frank

Frank

Zombie tribal though!

I do miss standard though. Last time I played was back in the RTR/Theros days with a little bit of Khans.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Last time I played was back in the RTR/Theros days with a little bit of Khans.
Yeesh. Last time I played, I got a black-bordered Hammer of Bogardan in a then-current draft pack.

--Patrick

Zappit

Zappit

I just wish there was a more robust Legacy community in my area. There's a lot of Standard, (blech) Modern, (good) and Commander, (also good) but Legacy is pretty much dead. It's a shame, because it is by far my favorite format.

Frank

Frank

I just can't justify the cost of even a modern deck.

Zappit

Zappit

First look at some legit-looking Commander 2017 spoilers - and all I can say...

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Frank

Frank

Yeah, Ur-Dragon is going to be my buddy's 2 mana transform for Scion and he gets to play omniscience for free.

Looking forward to Scion decks being even more annoying to deal with.

Frank

Frank

Then Nicol Bolas goes, "Lol, fuck off."

PatrThom

PatrThom

I wonder how that would affect ye olde Mishra's Factory + Consecrate Land combo (since it does not actually contain the term "Indestructible").

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

I wonder how that would affect ye olde Mishra's Factory + Consecrate Land combo (since it does not actually contain the term "Indestructible").

--Patrick
It's been Oracle texted to be indestructable. They do that with a lot of old cards. All old cards have been given specific creature types too.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Ah, I wasn't sure it'd specifically been changed to be "indestructible."
Do you think this'll bring back any of the Teferi cards and give RU decks a boost? Or are all the phasing cards out of play now?

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

This is my current favorite EDH deck.

http://www.mtgvault.com/fhorrigan/decks/rikus-majestic-experiment/

It's all about casting Epic Experiment as MANY times as possible. So far, in the two games I've played, it's gone off like a monster. I managed to literally hit Storm count 22 in one turn with it and cast THIS beauty to clear most of my opponents big threats and lands. Beautiful.

[DOUBLEPOST=1499505630,1499505440][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ah, I wasn't sure it'd specifically been changed to be "indestructible."
Do you think this'll bring back any of the Teferi cards and give RU decks a boost? Or are all the phasing cards out of play now?

--Patrick
Pha.....sing?

I kid, but phasing was really bad and I'm glad it's gone forever.

Zappit

Zappit

There's only one deck that even bothers with phasing - and even then, it's still rare - the Phyrexian Dreadnought Legacy decks. Casting Vision Charm when you play the Dreadnought and puts its trigger on the stack let's you skip his sacrifice requirement. I've built that deck, and really, Stifle is a thousand times better.

Frank

Frank

So I built a Neheb the Eternal deck.

http://www.mtgvault.com/fhorrigan/decks/nehebs-xtreme-adventure/

This is already the scourge of my play group. No one likes this deck. Neheb is probably the most powerful mono-red commander I've ever seen and we have two Krenko/Purphoros decks in our group.

Neheb comes out and the next turn, everyone is dead. One turn I equipped him with basilisk collar, attacked a guy who had a Whisperwood Elemental out, so he just blocked it with a manifested forest, then I cast Arcbond on Neheb, gained 42 life, wiped the board and then got to cast a Rolling Earthquake for 22. The next turn I just cast Comet Storm with Pyromancer's Goggles for 12. Eeeeryone dead.

This has happened every game I've played with him. Not that exact thing, but something similar.

When Neheb's out, Lightning Bolt is a Dark Ritual. When Neheb's out, Pyrohemia adds 1-3 mana to my pool when it's used for every activation. Any hits all player X spell, AT LEAST, replaces itself in mana. He's unbelievably powerful.

Frank

Frank

So I've been putting together some light hearted joke decks.

My first one is called Keranos Flips Out.

http://www.mtgvault.com/fhorrigan/decks/keranos-flips-out/

Obviously the commander is Keranos:

It's a one trick pony all based around the most beloved mechanic of Magic the Gathering. Can you guess it?

All made possible by cards such as:

Frank

Frank

I'm going to end up paying waaaaay too much money for that Grimlock card, I know it.

Zappit

Zappit

Same here.

But hell, I buy 3rd party Transformers. I'm used to that.

Frank

Frank

I gave up buying Transformers almost a decade ago after I owned piles of them everywhere and it was taking over all the space in my home. I boxed them up (in a dishwasher box, piled full) and gave them to some kids.

I still itch if I'm near a toy isle.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I gave up buying Transformers almost a decade ago after I owned piles of them everywhere and it was taking over all the space in my home. I boxed them up (in a dishwasher box, piled full) and gave them to some kids.

I still itch if I'm near a toy isle.
You achieved freedom, my brother. Some of us are still slaves.

Zappit

Zappit

Space is the reason I've started focusing on just Legends-class (small) figures. Look up Iron Factory and DX9. Their small figures are terrific. DX9 goes with the G1 aesthetic, and Iron Factory goes for the IDW look. They both blow the Hasbro stuff out of the water.

Frank

Frank

The last thing that ALMOST got me to break my no Transformers vow was Hercules Devastator.

I WILL NOT LOOK AT YOUR FOUL COMPANIES AND THEIR AMAZING TOYS.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

. . . Hercules Devastator . . .
*One Google image search later*

DROOOOOOOL!

Frank

Frank

Yeah, he's a work of art.

Zappit

Zappit

I won't buy a 3rd party Devastator after getting the official one from Combiner Wars, but I did go all in on Feral Rex, and I bought the Jinbao Oversized Warbotron Knockoff.

Highly recommend that second one, buy the way. At around a hundred bucks, it's the full Bruticus character set at Voyager size, all sturdier than the original version, and the combiner form is 18 inches tall. It is magnificent.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So I've been putting together some light hearted joke decks.

My first one is called Keranos Flips Out.

http://www.mtgvault.com/fhorrigan/decks/keranos-flips-out/

Obviously the commander is Keranos:

It's a one trick pony all based around the most beloved mechanic of Magic the Gathering. Can you guess it?

All made possible by cards such as:

That's so much rng it's basically a hearthstone deck

Zappit

Zappit

The last thing that ALMOST got me to break my no Transformers vow was Hercules Devastator.

I WILL NOT LOOK AT YOUR FOUL COMPANIES AND THEIR AMAZING TOYS.
@Frank Fraaaaaaaannnk...

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/54877

I don't think it will ever be cheaper than that.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

@Frank Fraaaaaaaannnk...

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/54877

I don't think it will ever be cheaper than that.
Nooooooo! Bad Cheesy, keep your finger away from that "Add To Cart" button! :aaah:

PatrThom

PatrThom

Nooooooo! Bad Cheesy, keep your finger away from that "Add To Cart" button! :aaah:
ohnoooo.png

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

NOOOOOOO!

I won't. I can't.

Boy, it's a good thing I don't have 300 bucks to toss around right now.

Frank

Frank

So, after the thematic dud that was Amonkhet. After such a dull, boring, thud of a set we're getting the fantastically fun looking Ixalan. I think the whole pirates thing on the internet is long played out but this set art direction is so fantastic. Conquistador vampires, buttloads of pirates, colourful merfolk, and even more colourful dinosaurs.

Seriously, look at these!

Pirates!

Wampires!

Dinosaurs!

Merfulk!

Oh, of course, pirate ships.

Tress

Tress

Thank you for posting that. I don't talk to many other Magic players, and I genuinely thought that I was the minority for not liking Amonkhet.

That new set really does look fun!

Frank

Frank

Amonkhet couldn't have been more dull if it were literally packs of spoons.

How you turn an entire world Nicol Bolas restructured in his image into that boring mess is beyond me. Hey everyone, it's brown! The sky and everything!

There's more colour and vitality in that big new dinosaur card than the entirety of Amonkhet block (with the exception of River Hoopoe, which is the best card in the whole set). Which is literally something interesting hanging out wondering why the fucking sky is brown.

Zappit

Zappit

Amonkhet was shit on toast, which was also the name the art department used for the set's color palette.

Frank

Frank

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on there. You're telling me there's a red creature, printed at uncommon!, that's fairly costed and excellent with no drawbacks? I don't fucking believe you.

Zappit

Zappit

This set looks so much crazy fucking fun. It feels like Magic is Magic again, not some watered down let's-all-turn-creatures-sideways yawn fest.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on there. You're telling me there's a red creature, printed at uncommon!, that's fairly costed and excellent with no drawbacks? I don't fucking believe you.

The new Ball Lightning!

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

Jeezus! I know one buddy's EDH mill deck this is hitting. Traumatize on a stick!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah, it's not even "deals combat damage to a player," it's "when attacking." Ouch.

--Patrick

Zappit

Zappit

Didn't the last set print a mill-doubling enchantment?

New standard control combo.

Wahad

Wahad

Didn't the last set print a mill-doubling enchantment?

New standard control combo.
Yep.

Frank

Frank

Frank

Frank

So, I wonder if the artist who did the Spike art for Unstable just decided to put Pamela Horton on a card.

Frank

Frank

Man, I wish I wasn't broke.

I would get in on this in a second.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/URZA-Acade...448948?hash=item2394fcc574:g:E~YAAOSwFyhaKyvG

Frank

Frank

Oh, that painting is ten thousand dollars US now. Well, broke or no, I would have never been in the bidding for that.

It was 500 when I last looked at it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So what's the opinion on proxies? Say, very, very convincing proxies from China? Because fuck these prices

Denbrought

Denbrought

So what's the opinion on proxies? Say, very, very convincing proxies from China? Because fuck these prices
As long as they're sleeved and you're not playing sanctioned/DCI, who cares?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Traditionally, you’re only allowed to use proxies for cards you actually own.
But speaking as a mere mortal who will NEVER be able to complete even one set of the power nine even if I worked at it, yeah, fuck those prices.

—Patrick

Frank

Frank

I cannot confirm or deny ever owning any.

Zappit

Zappit

I personally have no problem with them, especially if they're reserved list cards. Wizards has made it clear they'll never reprint those cards, and they barely support Legacy or Vintage. I have EDH decks with some proxies of dual lands. I bought sets of Scrublands and Plateaus. I'm not shelling out $500 for an Underground Sea.

Frank

Frank

I don't use proxies of super expensive cards in my playgroup, mostly because no one in my playgroup does. I wouldn't feel right dropping a proxied Candelabra of Tawnos (which I got sent with an order of proxies once) when folk are using lands like Urborg Volcano.

I have proxied cards I just couldn't get a hold of in Canada since I refuse to pay the exorbitant shipping costs from places like Card Kingdom or Star City or any shipper on TCG player.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Updated my dragon deck, did decently when I got a chance to play again recently.
https://www.mtgvault.com/cheesy1/decks/cheesys-dragon-deck/

Frank

Frank

These Terese Neilsen Comiccon exclusive planeswalkers are unbelievable. Her art is still the best in Magic.

Magic is lucky to have her.

Wahad

Wahad

So I made a Toshiro Umezawa EDH deck, which is generally a middling level deck in that it performs okay but doesn't usually win. Today, however, I pulled off a neat combo between Razaketh, the Foul-blooded, Chainer, Dementia Master, and Kokusho, the Evening Star. Manabase: Cabal Coffers, Deserted Temple, Sol Ring and like ten Swamp.

1) Tap Coffers, untap with Temple, tap again. 27 mana at my disposal.
2) Cast Kokusho. 21 mana left.
3) Sac Kokusho to Razaketh. Pay 2 life, drain three opponents for 5 each, gain 15. Get a card (Grim Return, in this case, because somebody killed my chainer, which I then used to rez Chainer, 18 mana left.)
4) 3 swamp and 3 life resurrects Kokusho with Chainer. 15 mana left.
5) Rinse and repeat 4 more times. Kill everybody (this was a ways into the game so the highest health was 25), end up at almost a 100 life.

The best part was I didn't even realize the combo was a thing until my opponent said "oh jeez you can do some nasty stuff with those three cards". Thanks, guy!

Vrii

Vrii

I have a couple of invites to the Arena closed beta if anyone wants them. I haven't been terribly impressed with it so far, but I can't say I've spent much time with it, either.

Frank

Frank

It's fine, I just don't care about standard or drafting. I too have 5 invites.

Get Brawl going and I'd be way in.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It's fine, I just don't care about standard or drafting. I too have 5 invites.

Get Brawl going and I'd be way in.
EDH mode when? This has become my favorite format, deck building for it is really fun

Frank

Frank

EDH mode when? This has become my favorite format, deck building for it is really fun
Probably never. Arena only has current standard sets in it right now and will only be adding sets as they come out. Best you can hope for is Brawl.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Probably never. Arena only has current standard sets in it right now and will only be adding sets as they come out. Best you can hope for is Brawl.
Oh well, cockatrice is free anyway, and pretty easy to use.

We should try a game on it sometime

PatrThom

PatrThom

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

That moment when you manage to cyclonic rift all non land permanents back into opponents hands and then time twister it all away into their decks... Twice!

Frank

Frank

Cyclonic Rift should be banned in Commander, just straight up. It's the most boring, game prolonging card in the whole format.

I hate playing it, I hate having it played on me. No one likes Cyclonic Rift.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Cyclonic Rift should be banned in Commander, just straight up. It's the most boring, game prolonging card in the whole format.

I hate playing it, I hate having it played on me. No one likes Cyclonic Rift.
I felt pretty good about myself

Frank

Frank

You're a criminal and deserve arresting.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

You're a criminal and deserve arresting.
I can't hear you over my snapcaster mage casting cyclonic rift again

Frank

Frank

Wait, do you actually own a Time Twister?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Wait, do you actually own a Time Twister?
"Yes."

Check out the discord to learn more

Frank

Frank

Oh yeah, we all talked about that earlier in the thread.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hey now, Tormod’s Crypt + Timetwister is one of my favorite combos.

—Patrick

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Got four of these for my dragon deck:

And one of this:

Frank

Frank

This is the deck I'm currently pootering about with in Commander.

https://www.mtgvault.com/fhorrigan/decks/atraxa-co-jankville-phyrexia/

It's a shitty, janky Atraxa and it still fucking wins a good amount of the time because Atraxa is fucking broken no matter how you build it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

This is the deck I'm currently pootering about with in Commander.

https://www.mtgvault.com/fhorrigan/decks/atraxa-co-jankville-phyrexia/

It's a shitty, janky Atraxa and it still fucking wins a good amount of the time because Atraxa is fucking broken no matter how you build it.
This still is undergoing tuning, but here's what I'm running right now.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/31-07-18-chain-veil-teferi/?cb=1533078454

Frank

Frank

Gross, Teferi stasis deck.

You are a criminal.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I haven’t seen Tabernacle in quite a long time.

—Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Gross, Teferi stasis deck.

You are a criminal.

Someone's gotta be the villain at the table

Frank

Frank

I knew one guy who played that deck and we all killed him immediately every time after his first time locking us down into the slowest, most game of Commander ever. Every one just mercilessly attacking him over and over and over and countering everything he did. He was always out after turn 4-5. He was super grumpy about it.

So, it's funny that the card from the new Commander decks people seem overly excited about is that Ninja tribal legend Yuriko. She seems fine, but linear and boring.

I'm way more excited about the fucking nonsense Brudiclad is capable of. JANKY NONSENSE.

This is exactly my jam. Tokens + Artifacts + copying stuff. Brudiclad was made specifically for ME.

Secondly, I'm pretty excited to build weird group slug deck around:

She's also right up my alley. Full of awkward corner case janky interactions too.

I guess what I'm learning is I'm sick of straight forward turn guys sideways/combo/run of the mill stuff.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm way more excited about the fucking nonsense Brudiclad is capable of. JANKY NONSENSE.

So.
Tokens don't necessarily have to be creatures, right?
How many tokens are there that aren't?

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

So.

--Patrick
Plenty. Treasure tokens, gold tokens but mainly, spells that create token copies of regular powerful beasties. Imagine, IF YOU WILL, casting:

on some smart ass's

Meanwhile, your

and

Have created boatloads of

and

And now you have 9 11/11 infect tramplers thanks to Brudiclad.

That's some magical Christmasland shit, but that's just one of the many amazing and silly things I can't wait for this deck to achieve.

Wahad

Wahad

So.

--Patrick
Treasure tokens, Clue tokens, tokens that are copies of target artifact (as per cards like Saheeli's Artistry, which notably is also in the precon), Mask tokens (per Estrid, the Bant precon commander, but you're not gonna play her in a commander deck with Brudiclad). Given that you can copy any artifact with Saheeli's Artistry (or the original Saheeli Rai planeswalker for that matter), there's probably a bunch of win-cons there if you want to.

EDIT: Aw, Frank beat me to the punch.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

New deck in the making! Testing it online, but I don't yet have all the cards in meatspace to make it. It would only take a few singles though, so we'll see how testing goes.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/discard-through-the-garden/

Frank

Frank

What kind of monsters do you play with? My playgroup is so much more relaxed. I literally know a guy who plays a fucking bear deck called Bear Force One. It's every card with bears on it.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I've got an ape deck. :p

PatrThom

PatrThom

I've got an ape deck. :p
I remember those. Good ol' Kirds and Giant Growth.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

What kind of monsters do you play with? My playgroup is so much more relaxed. I literally know a guy who plays a fucking bear deck called Bear Force One. It's every card with bears on it.
I learned to play in the competitive edh discord. It is a world of monsters, and they have made me a monster.

original.gif

Frank

Frank

Competitive EDH is such an oxymoron.

Frank

Frank

https://www.mtgvault.com/fhorrigan/decks/heads-i-win-tails-you-lose/

So, I've played 6 games with deck with 2 different play groups and I've annihilated them every time. This deck is so out of nowhere strong.

Oh, look at your cute 3/3 for 5. What a darling!

Chandra's Ignition you all for 48.

What just happened?

Frank

Frank

Najeela, the Blade Blossom is by far the most busted aggro deck commander you can have. One missed chance at removing her and it's curtains. She can do 50+ damage by turn 4-5 and if you have any kind of good evasion cards like Cover of Darkness or Champion of Lambhold, no one can stop you.

I built a deck, even altered her with Ultimate Warrior facepaint because I'm a dork and took it apart the same weekend.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Najeela, the Blade Blossom is by far the most busted aggro deck commander you can have. One missed chance at removing her and it's curtains. She can do 50+ damage by turn 4-5 and if you have any kind of good evasion cards like Cover of Darkness or Champion of Lambhold, no one can stop you.

I built a deck, even altered her with Ultimate Warrior facepaint because I'm a dork and took it apart the same weekend.
Come join us on the dark side

Frank

Frank

My problem isn't that she wins, it's that she wins in the most boring way possible and exactly the same every time. I don't like my Commander decks to be linear boring affairs. I need moving parts.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I need moving parts.
Poe is more of a “guaranteed turn 4-5 win every single time no matter how boring it might be” kinda guy.

—Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Poe is more of a “guaranteed turn 4-5 win every single time no matter how boring it might be” kinda guy.

—Patrick
Actually no. My deck can win as early as turn three, as can everyone else's in the group I play with, but because they all know this, and the decks are all fine tuned, the amount of counter play leads to very complex games.

Frank

Frank

Yeah, we're not into the same game. cEDH is a completely different animal.

Tress

Tress

Yeah, we're not into the same game. cEDH is a completely different animal.
Magic is a big tent with room for lots of people. Some are "Spikes" who want brutal efficiency, and some just want laid back fun.

I tend to switch back and forth, personally. Sometimes I build decks with the express purpose of winning and crushing everyone else as often as possible. Sometimes I just want a goofy combo deck that keeps everything interesting.

PatrThom

PatrThom

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

Take anything Rudy says with a grain or two of salt. He makes his living riling up his Patreons.

Frank

Frank

Best Magic youtuber did a hell of a video.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The Blacker Lotus is more powerful, but increasingly more rare.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

A friend of mine has taken advantage of our group's lax attitudes towards land destruction and has built deck after deck that use busted ass commanders like:

To ramp like no other has ramped before and take over with overwhelming mana and card advantage.

So, Frank has decided that he's going to take a trick from Magic content creator April King's playbook and I have built a Zurgo Helmsmasher land obliteration deck. Am I a monster? Yes? Should people be wary about taking advantage of my kinder, gentler nature? Also yes.

Worldslayer? Check.

Obliterate? Also check.

Jokulhaups? Turbo check.

Armageddon? Jumbo check.

Boil? Also check.

Etc.
etc.
etc.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

A friend of mine has taken advantage of our group's lax attitudes towards land destruction and has built deck after deck that use busted ass commanders like:

To ramp like no other has ramped before and take over with overwhelming mana and card advantage.

So, Frank has decided that he's going to take a trick from Magic content creator April King's playbook and I have built a Zurgo Helmsmasher land obliteration deck. Am I a monster? Yes? Should people be wary about taking advantage of my kinder, gentler nature? Also yes.

Worldslayer? Check.

Obliterate? Also check.

Jokulhaups? Turbo check.

Armageddon? Jumbo check.

Boil? Also check.

Etc.
etc.
etc.

Join us...

PatrThom

PatrThom

Land destruction was my other favorite can-reach-win-condition-against-anyone deck. But that was back in the days when I played red/green ramp and 4xStrip Mine (and Sisters/Elves/Birds).

—Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So now that MTG Arena is out (in open beta, but no more wipes) I've decided to return to it after playing a bit in the closed beta and then quitting.

It's a lot better, and really fun. I've been playing the past couple of days. It still needs a friend feature though, and an ability to challenge said friends with your decks, but I highly recommend checking it out.

Frank

Frank

I've been doing buttloads of sealed on Arena, normally doing well enough (6 wins) to keep it going for free.

But the last couple I had some real awful mull to 4-5 and flood streaks.

I hope they make Singleton their Arena eternal format, since two of the sets on Arena are about to rotate out. Brawl is worse than 60-card Singleton so I hope they just stick with it.

Wahad

Wahad

So now that MTG Arena is out (in open beta, but no more wipes) I've decided to return to it after playing a bit in the closed beta and then quitting.

It's a lot better, and really fun. I've been playing the past couple of days. It still needs a friend feature though, and an ability to challenge said friends with your decks, but I highly recommend checking it out.
This is the worst part about Arena for me right now. I've come back to it too but I can't believe they haven't implemented a friends feature yet. Also the part where you don't get all 10 dual-color decks but instead a semi-random selection of 5 is kind of dumb.

Otherwise it's good, though.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

This is the worst part about Arena for me right now. I've come back to it too but I can't believe they haven't implemented a friends feature yet. Also the part where you don't get all 10 dual-color decks but instead a semi-random selection of 5 is kind of dumb.

Otherwise it's good, though.
Yeah, the missing 5 dual decks is some bullshit I didn't know about until now. In closed beta you could get them all, not you get half randomly. I hope this isn't indicative of the type of business wizards wants to do, even though I know it absolutely is

Wahad

Wahad

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Wizards listens to feedback and does a good thing? I'm actually surprised.

Vrii

Vrii

Wizards listens to feedback and does a good thing? I'm actually surprised.
They have to pretend to care long enough to get people to invest enough in the game that they can't walk away!

Frank

Frank

The economy in Arena is pretty crap. I've opened like 12 Steam Vents in bonus packs and in Sealed and as far as I can tell all the extras do is add a pip to your opening packs wild card meter.

Still missing most of the shocks in other combos.

That sucks ass.

Vrii

Vrii

The economy in Arena is pretty crap.
That's the vast majority of the reason I gave up on it. I was logging in, clearing my quests, and feeling like I'd made no measurable progress.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The economy in Arena is pretty crap. I've opened like 12 Steam Vents in bonus packs and in Sealed and as far as I can tell all the extras do is add a pip to your opening packs wild card meter.

Still missing most of the shocks in other combos.

That sucks ass.
So, they add to a hidden meter called "the vault" that, once you fill it, will give you a bunch of wild cards. It's a bad system though, and the devs have said as much, saying they will be replacing it with something, but haven't said what or when yet.

Frank

Frank

Yes, that is a terrible system. At least the vault used to be visible.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I think most people just call it the “pity timer.”

—Patrick

Frank

Frank

This is literally the most subjective thing I will ever post.

Niv-Mizzet, Parun is the greatest card ever printed.

I love this card. It's incredible. Niv is my boy. And I will show you in a moment when I go find my custom playmat how much Niv is my boy.

I just won a game in Singleton with my UR Sweet Cards deck and was down to no cards in hand about to get overwhelmed by tokens. Then I draw my boy. Play him and then just...wow. He. Fucked. Up. My opponent's board. My opponent tries to remove him instantly with a plummet. I draw a card. Ionize. Awesome. Fuck off Plummet. I draw a card. 2 tokens down. His turn. He hits me for 4 losing another lifelinking token. I draw a card. Dead token. It's Opt. Awesome, Opt with Niv-Mizzet may very well be the most efficient spell you can cast. 1 mana for 2 cards and 2 damage and 1 scry. That's fucking insane.

Niv + Mizzet = #1

20181014_032034.jpg

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Yeah, I still need to get him for my dragon deck.

Frank

Frank

Wow, has Arena managed to make me not want to play it ever again with it's recent ULTRAMAGIC bullshit.

I've gone 0-2 in Singleton 4 times in a row because no matter how I balance my lands I have to mull to at least 5 because I'm either holding a 6 land hand or a 1 land hand and then I either flood drawing only lands or screw with no lands. It's been the least fun I've ever had playing Magic. This doesn't happen in paper play because at least there's another human to interact with, but having it happen in an online setting is torture. Especially since everyone on Arena seems to be a timer straddling slow play monster on top of this.

Dei

Dei

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm the king of holiday pauper!

Frank

Frank

I see it isn't 36 Rat. So you aren't 4/5ths of the people I've faced. Ez marks.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I see it isn't 36 Rat. So you aren't 4/5ths of the people I've faced. Ez marks.
No, but I've destroyed a few rat colony decks

Denbrought

Denbrought

Had a date on Tuesday that ended at my house, and he spent like an hour going through my magic cards. Apparently I have over $1,000 in cards from when I played in my college years... More if I'm willing to let go of cards with sentimental value (e.g. my full art Damnations). Oh, and the Vault Exiled set I got at my local store for like $20-30 is apparently like $200 now, since I never opened it.

I'll be making a spreadsheet soon. I'll remake and keep the decks important to me (mono-black goblins, elven druids, crab mill...) and unload nearly everything else I think.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Had a date on Tuesday that ended at my house, and he spent like an hour going through my magic cards. Apparently I have over $1,000 in cards from when I played in my college years... More if I'm willing to let go of cards with sentimental value (e.g. my full art Damnations). Oh, and the Vault Exiled set I got at my local store for like $20-30 is apparently like $200 now, since I never opened it.

I'll be making a spreadsheet soon. I'll remake and keep the decks important to me (mono-black goblins, elven druids, crab mill...) and unload nearly everything else I think.
But did you tap that?

Denbrought

Denbrought

But did you tap that?
After I won 2-0 drafting from his ridiculously pricey Cube :unibrow:

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

After I won 2-0 drafting from his ridiculously pricey Cube :unibrow:
Man, I am way behind on the dating lingo.

Frank

Frank

I hate Aetherflux Reservoir. I hate that not playing it in the last deck I made is intentionally handicapping it and I hate that if I use it, I hate using it because it's boring. I hate that card.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I hate Aetherflux Reservoir. I hate that not playing it in the last deck I made is intentionally handicapping it and I hate that if I use it, I hate using it because it's boring. I hate that card.
I've found I don't hate it as much, at least not in commander. Usually at least one player on the board has a Krosan Grip

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, after playing a ton of EDH, I have settled on this as my favorite deck. I love playing within restrictions, and no color is a pretty big one.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1739701

Frank

Frank

My current favourite deck is my Varchild monored deck. It's challenging but it forces everyone to attack constantly so it makes the games exciting and quick.

Frank

Frank

This is a trailer for a card game set.

Also, NOOOO, my boy Dack!!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

This is a trailer for a card game set.

Also, NOOOO, my boy Dack!!
Everyone: they made a trailer for that? That's dumb.

Also everyone: that trailer was hype!

Frank

Frank

I mean, it is the culmination of Nicol Bolas' villain arc over like 10 blocks. On, the other hand, MY BOY DACK!

I was bummed that there was no Garruk in War of the Spark, and now I'm bummed that Dack's deeeeead.

Frank

Frank

My OTHER boy!

Frank

Frank

PS, this is the best liveplay Magic series out there.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYwsoqRNmyfM-E7tyQD4buw/featured

They play jank-ass Commander with only budget cards on a set that's a demon's dungeon and it has the best intro song for anything Magic related ever. I like these boys.

Frank

Frank

Stand aside daddy Niv, this girl is 1000% my jam.

Next Commander deck, get in my veins.

PatrThom

PatrThom

A token generator’s best friend.

—Patrick

Frank

Frank

Yoshitaka Amano Liliana, Dreadhorde General.

Well, this is gonna cost me.

PatrThom

PatrThom

And for those wanting to see it in English:

liliana-dreadhorde-general.jpg

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

So, Magic artist Randall Post, aka RK Post, artist of some iconic cards for example:

Has a website where he sells tons and tons of custom tokens.

www.rkpost.net

I've been slowly building a collection of them because they're fucking awesome and I love them. So notable favourites of mine:

I love these tokens and have a couple hundred of them now of dozens of varieties. I keep them sleeved up in a box for my Commander games. They're very high quality and always get remarks from the other players.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, Magic artist Randall Post, aka RK Post, artist of some iconic cards for example:

Has a website where he sells tons and tons of custom tokens.

www.rkpost.net

I've been slowly building a collection of them because they're fucking awesome and I love them. So notable favourites of mine:

I love these tokens and have a couple hundred of them now of dozens of varieties. I keep them sleeved up in a box for my Commander games. They're very high quality and always get remarks from the other players.
I use his tokens too, I love his sand warrior tokens for my Hazezon Tamar deck.

Frank

Frank

The Monarch one gets the most use from me because I make sure there's a Monarchy card in every deck I make because it's one of my favourite mechanics.

Frank

Frank

Seems strong.

D7HCew0U8AIQ6ru.png large.png

Frank

Frank

This is literally the most perfect card flavourwise without flavour text. It's mechanics are fucking perfect. I'm in actual awe of the card design.

It's perfection.

[in case you need explaining, convoke allows you to tap creatures instead of regular mana producers to cast the card, basically, representing the dummies summoning this demon who then can devour them making himself a much stronger creature.]

Zappit

Zappit

Pauper is now an official format. This is great, at least until MtGFinance decides to try to get in on that, which would be profoundly stupid on their part.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I've been alternating between playing stupidly powerful cEDH decks and powerfully stupid casual EDH decks. I really love both

Frank

Frank

Iona and Paradox Engine are both EDH/Commander banned as fuuuuck now.

Urza was probably the last straw for Paradox Engine.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Iona makes sense, but paradox engine is a real head scratcher for me. It's actually a big deal in cEDH because it limits the amount of deck diversity. Engine was broken, but not more broken than half a dozen other combos in the format, and the removal of one just means fewer types of decks that can compete against the likes of flash hulk

Zappit

Zappit

Need to swap Iona out of my Lyra Dawnbringer deck. I’m not all that disappointed, since I rarely ever cast her.

Urza probably did directly cause the Paradox Engine ban. It’s a pretty obvious and abusive pairing. I’m glad they banned it, since it will save me some money now. :D

Frank

Frank

Iona makes sense, but paradox engine is a real head scratcher for me. It's actually a big deal in cEDH because it limits the amount of deck diversity. Engine was broken, but not more broken than half a dozen other combos in the format, and the removal of one just means fewer types of decks that can compete against the likes of flash hulk
They don't give a rat's piss about cEDH. They've said if they want to do their own thing they can but they don't take cEDH into consideration at all.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

They don't give a rat's piss about cEDH. They've said if they want to do their own thing they can but they don't take cEDH into consideration at all.
Oh I know, but paradox engine usually isn't a problem in casual, and if you want to ban powerful combos from casual, there are far worse offenders.

Frank

Frank

They took a lot more input on these bans than they used to, but I don't think I would have banned it either.

Cyclonic Rift though, gone. Up to me, get out of the format.

It's NEVER used to win games, just prolong them into infinity.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I was challenged to create the most op edh deck I could, so I present to you: Oops All Win Conditions

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/oops-all-win-conditions-1/?cb=1563337970

This is a food chain combo deck that utilizes the first sliver as a food chain outlet.

Once food chain is on the board, we can utilize a creature that can be cast from exile to generate infinite mana, sure it will always produce +1 mana that it costs to recast the creature we're exiling.

The caveat is that this infinite mana we now have can only be used to cast creature spells. That's where our Commander comes in.

Cascade means that when we cast him, we can then reveal cards from our library until we hit a spell and then cast that spell for free, so long as it costs less than our Commander (which is every spell in our deck). We can then exile the first sliver to food chain, return it to the command zone, and do it again, an infinite number of times, to be able to cast every spell in our library in any order we want, since the cast option is optional. And once we can cast whatever we want, well, then we just pick whatever win con we want. We can cast aetherflux reservoir, build up an absurd life total, and laser beam the entire board, or we can simply loop infinite castings of lightning bolt with noxious revival and memory's journey to lightning bolt everyone to death. Or we can exile our entire library with one of our forbidden tutors and play Jace or Lab Man, drawing a card on an empty library and winning that way.

Or, preferably, all of the above! Just call me Ron Pompeil because wait, there's more.

Fun Size

Fun Size

After another camping trip where everyone was playing Magic but my son, I bought three starter packs (one for each of us and one for my daughter). Let us begin....

Zappit

Zappit

Throne of Eldraine official trailer.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Throne of Eldraine official trailer.

Frank

Frank

Love the art direction, love my big boy Garruk (love that his actual planeswalker card has him being more than just a body builder but a proper thick boy) finally coming back, love the Kenrith twins, love the weird new split cards and yet somehow I have ZERO interest in playing limited for this set.

Frank

Frank

I'm a little miffed at how boring and on the nose a lot of their fairy tale stuff is. It's really showing how they sacked quite a few of their good writers a while back. Mechanically, this card is neat, but the name and trappings? Fuck off. This is the laziest fucking bullshit Magic. Come on. People are speculating that the reasoning everything is so LCD and on the nose is that too much of Theros' references went over people's head, so dumb down city. This card is like if they called Heliod something like Heliod, The Zeus Analog of Theros.

Apparently only one art for the card too, because they didn't have the budget for more.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Apparently only one art for the card too, because they didn't have the budget for more.
This is the biggest sin. Give me 7 unique art variants and I would consider running this otherwise shitty card.

PatrThom

PatrThom

This is the biggest sin. Give me 7 unique art variants and I would consider running this otherwise shitty card.
Make sure you can tell which is which, too. Glasses, etc.

--Patrick

Zappit

Zappit

My guess is that card becomes an absolute favorite of customizers.

Frank

Frank

Hello friends, so as we all know, there's a new format called Pioneer that has suddenly become an attempt by Wizards to move away from Modern. Luckily for me, it starts exactly when I came back to Magic the last time, during RTR.

All I can say is that this format is going to be weird as fuck, the delve cards will need to be quickly banned again...you know who you are, aaaaaand welcome back big boy, no one missed you:

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Hello friends, so as we all know, there's a new format called Pioneer that has suddenly become an attempt by Wizards to move away from Modern. Luckily for me, it starts exactly when I came back to Magic the last time, during RTR.

All I can say is that this format is going to be weird as fuck, the delve cards will need to be quickly banned again...you know who you are, aaaaaand welcome back big boy, no one missed you:

They went and killed historic before it even had a chance to live.

Zappit

Zappit

They pretty much want to kill off the competitive paper Magic scene in favor of Arena. Pioneer will probably go over as well as Frontier, by which I mean will be solved almost immediately, grow tiresome because of the dominance of one or two decks, and abandoned for Modern.

Frank

Frank

Gonna crosspost from over in Whatcha Playing.

Games that require my computer to function are out the window right now while I wait for my replacement ram, so I've been jamming a ton of Brawl in Magic Arena. It's 100% the most fun I've had playing Arena. I'm going to miss the shit out of it when it's relegated to one day a week for some God awful bullshit reason. As long as I auto-concede if I see someone is playing Oko as their Commander, and 3Feri too, because both are horseshit to have to be able to cast automatically. People want to play those commanders? Fine with me, but I'm not here to play that game. Enjoy the no-game, your 50 gold and 25 xp on me.

Standard right now is the worst it's been since I came back to Magic in Return to Ravnica and bot drafting makes Throne of Eldraine drafts no fun, since all anyone does is draft the mill deck.

I'm gonna go further into the specifics here since anyone reading this will understand what I'm prattling on about.

Planeswalkers suck balls. They're the worst thing in Magic.

Here's some fucking bullshit I don't get, why is Sorcerer's Spyglass banned in Brawl? Because it blanks planeswalker commanders, rendering them useless. Even in the 59 of your deck, this is considered unfair. Why the fuck is Oko ok to have as your commander? He blanks EVERY creature commander and he's just sitting there in the Command Zone, ready to fucking take over every game he is played in. Oko is one of the biggest fuck ups they've done in a long time and they've honestly been fucking up pushed power levels a lot. Standard right now is an unbelievable mess because of him.

Frank

Frank

I still think planeswalkers are shit. I tried to play 6 games of Brawl today.

Oko, Oko, Nissa, Golos Super Friends, Nissa.

Cool, great.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I still think planeswalkers are shit. I tried to play 6 games of Brawl today.

Oko, Oko, Nissa, Golos Super Friends, Nissa.

Cool, great.
The biggest problem is that brawl in arena is limited to 1v1, in a format that is intended for four people. Planeswalkers in multiplayer games are considered very weak.

Or at least that's the case in EDH. Allowing planeswalkers to be your commander in brawl seems short sighted whereas EDH only allows planeswalkers whose card text specifically states they can be commanders.

Frank

Frank

Well, they banned the only good anti-planeswalker tech unless you play black. You know, fairness.

Planeswalkers are ruining standard very hard right now too. The Oko/Nissa/Hydroid deck is ridiculous.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Well, they banned the only good anti-planeswalker tech unless you play black. You know, fairness.
At least brawl doesn't have to deal with Sheldon, the biggest Timmy in the world and head of the EDH rules committee.

Frank

Frank

At least brawl doesn't have to deal with Sheldon, the biggest Timmy in the world and head of the EDH rules committee.
I think most of the current bannings in EDH are fine, but I don't play cEDH and neither does the EDH committee.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I think most of the current bannings in EDH are fine, but I don't play cEDH and neither does the EDH committee.
Paradox engine is the only banning that really affected cEDH. It wasn't exceptionally strong there, but it gave power to some fringe commanders to allow them to compete. Its removal just makes the list of viable commanders at the top end more generic, which is a shame.

I'm not of the opinion that paradox engine should have been banned, but the fact that it was banned when there are several other cards just as broken is puzzling. It seems to me that you should either ban all of them or none of them, and the banning of just one makes it seem more like a personal banning than one for the health of the format.

Frank

Frank

They've stated that when they ban one powerful example of an effect, it's putting it out there that it's a blanket statement to that effect.

I don't think you can just blame Sheldon, they do have former and current Wizards employees and a host of other consultants.

Frank

Frank

I agree Jon "Best Player of All Time" Finkel.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

They've stated that when they ban one powerful example of an effect, it's putting it out there that it's a blanket statement to that effect.

I don't think you can just blame Sheldon, they do have former and current Wizards employees and a host of other consultants.
I know their reasoning, and it's dumb, because a card is either banned or it's not. You can't ban one card and say "now let this be an example, cards like it are still legal but you shouldn't play them." That's not a rules committee, that's a suggestion committee. And saying you can just house rule it doesn't work when you are trying to do a sanctioned event... Games need rules, and this rules need to make sense.

Ok, sorry, rant over

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Also, I just had to relook at Oko because I've not used him in edh and haven't played standard since rotation:

His transformation ability is a PLUS ability?! WTF wizards, is that a goddamn typo?

Frank

Frank

3 cmc that immediately hits 6 loyalty. NUTS.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

3 cmc that immediately hits 6 loyalty. NUTS.
I expected that ability to be like -3, or are least minus something

PatrThom

PatrThom

elkapitan.jpeg

--Patrick

Zappit

Zappit

Frank

Frank

I'll just type this here. Fuck the people in charge at WotC. They spent 3 years building a character as, as one of the former inhouse writers put it (before they fired almost ALL of their inhouse writers instead relying on outside contract work with people that don't give a shit about the product) a pansexual hot mess only to have her suddenly doing a 180 and getting a major case of the supremely hetero not gays. This has pissed off a lot of the people who give a shit about the story. Why did they do this so suddenly? Oh, is it because they're branching their e-sport into China and Russia and having the face of game not be explicitly heterosexual might hinder that?

Fuck China, fuck Russia and fuck corporations.

Fucking sick of the world needing to please these authoritarian pieces of shit.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'll just type this here. Fuck the people in charge at WotC. They spent 3 years building a character as, as one of the former inhouse writers put it (before they fired almost ALL of their inhouse writers instead relying on outside contract work with people that don't give a shit about the product) a pansexual hot mess only to have her suddenly doing a 180 and getting a major case of the supremely hetero not gays. This has pissed off a lot of the people who give a shit about the story. Why did they do this so suddenly? Oh, is it because they're branching their e-sport into China and Russia and having the face of game not be explicitly heterosexual might hinder that?

Fuck China, fuck Russia and fuck corporations.

Fucking sick of the world needing to please these authoritarian pieces of shit.

^ everything he just said. Chandra deserves better.

PatrThom

PatrThom

^ everything he just said. Chandra deserves better.
Heck, even Urza deserves better.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Heck, even Urza deserves better.

--Patrick
Ehhh... Urza is a eugenicist, one that's obsessed with the power of white mana...

Urza's problematic, lets just leave it at that. Also he's bullshit in EDH

Zappit

Zappit

Gotta love the rollout of Pioneer.

"We're letting you play with your recent older standard cards in a format that will be much more affordable than Modern.

MtgFinance reads it, and five minutes later, prices are ratcheting up hard.

Edit: Oh, shit - Secret Lair is a big deal. Print on demand (granted, for a very limited window) of highly sought after cards. I want a full playset of the Bitterblossom set, and might grab some others for EDH.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Gotta love the rollout of Pioneer.

"We're letting you play with your recent older standard cards in a format that will be much more affordable than Modern.

MtgFinance reads it, and five minutes later, prices are ratcheting up hard.

Edit: Oh, shit - Secret Lair is a big deal. Print on demand (granted, for a very limited window) of highly sought after cards. I want a full playset of the Bitterblossom set, and might grab some others for EDH.
I'm buying all of the secret lair... Damnit

Zappit

Zappit

I'm eyeing Bitterblossom, (either a set or a single pack for EDH) the Golgari one, the 5 color legends, and possibly the Serum Visions (but probably not).

I don't see five foil snow-covered lands being a big seller.

Frank

Frank

The only one I'm getting is the Sliver/Reaper King/Ur-Dragon set.

Zappit

Zappit

I just bought the Bitterblossom set.

Anybody do Arena/MTGO? I don’t play those, so I doubt I’ll ever use those codes.

Zappit

Zappit

Well, I just emailed support because I DIDN’T GET THE CODES, APPARENTLY. :mad:

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I managed to show restraint and will only be purchasing the 5color set.

... plus a little more to fill out an EDH deck using them.

Frank

Frank

Yeah, I'm probably going to sell the Sliver and hold onto Ur-Dragon and Reaper King. I already picked up literally every scarecrow because, you know, scarecrows.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Yeah, I'm probably going to sell the Sliver and hold onto Ur-Dragon and Reaper King. I already picked up literally every scarecrow because, you know, scarecrows.
Allow me to show you my everything tribal deck.

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/02-12-19-whos-that-pokemon/

PatrThom

PatrThom

That looks like the kind of deck where you win more by creating the largest possible headache for the other player.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

That looks like the kind of deck where you win more by creating the largest possible headache for the other player.

--Patrick
Math is for blockers, you figure it out

Zappit

Zappit

Went in on Bitterblossom, the Golgari set, and the 5-Color Commanders. I’m satisfied.

You guys know we’re getting those special Stained Glass Planeswalkers with these, right?

I’m genuinely excited by the Sliver. It’s my favorite tribe, and I’ve had a regular foiled Sliver Emporer as my Commander for years. I love that deck, even if there’s not a lot of play variety in it.

Frank

Frank

Arcane Adaptation but no Conspiracy? FOR SHAME.

Conspiracy is just a swaggier card.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Arcane Adaptation but no Conspiracy? FOR SHAME.

Conspiracy is just a swaggier card.
I agree! But I only own one copy and it's in a different deck.

Frank

Frank

Ashiok is 1000% my favourite character (visually) and I look forward to learning more about them.

Zappit

Zappit

Just got my first Secret Lair pack - the Restless in Peace pack.

First off, they did a great job packing it. Box in a box in a box for protection. It’s still...a real lot of packaging. However, the actual product box is very nice, and could hold a couple decks.

The cards were well protected in hard plastic, and the art really looks good. I also got a stained glass art Jace, Wielder of Mysteries, which is currently going for more than the cost of the set itself. I’ve got plans for every one of the cards in that set, so I’m very happy with it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Just got my first Secret Lair pack - the Restless in Peace pack.

First off, they did a great job packing it. Box in a box in a box for protection. It’s still...a real lot of packaging. However, the actual product box is very nice, and could hold a couple decks.

The cards were well protected in hard plastic, and the art really looks good. I also got a stained glass art Jace, Wielder of Mysteries, which is currently going for more than the cost of the set itself. I’ve got plans for every one of the cards in that set, so I’m very happy with it.
I lucked out and got stained glass teferi, which is currently going for $90

Frank

Frank

I lucked out and got stained glass teferi, which is currently going for $90
I know without even thinking that I'm going to get a fucking Jiang or something equally lame.

Man, they ship quick for Americans. I just got my tracking confirmation today that my product is even getting shipped out.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I know without even thinking that I'm going to get a fucking Jiang or something equally lame.

Man, they ship quick for Americans. I just got my tracking confirmation today that my product is even getting shipped out.
To be fair, I jumped on literally the moment my bundle went on sale. They said they would be shipped out in order received

Frank

Frank

According to my tracking, it hasn't even been given to USPS yet. Holy shit.

Considering the shipping to Canada was just under about 12 million dollars, this is pretty disappointing.

Zappit

Zappit

Got my 5 color Commanders set, and got a Ral with it. Meh.

The main event cards themselves are gorgeous. Interestingly enough, mine didn’t start curling right away like some other people experienced. Guess I got lucky.

I’ve also been seeing the MTGO and Arena codes are selling on eBay for pretty much the price of the set itself. (combined). If I did eBay, I could recoup my spending, which is pretty wild.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Got my 5 color Commanders set, and got a Ral with it. Meh.

The main event cards themselves are gorgeous. Interestingly enough, mine didn’t start curling right away like some other people experienced. Guess I got lucky.

I’ve also been seeing the MTGO and Arena codes are selling on eBay for pretty much the price of the set itself. (combined). If I did eBay, I could recoup my spending, which is pretty wild.
So looking at eBay, I see a few people -asking- that much for them, but the ones actually successfully selling are much cheaper. In fact I saw quite a few that bundled all of the codes together for $18

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Alright, the deck I've put together to use my secret lair cards is complete.

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/whos-that-pokemon-v2/

Everything tribal.

Frank

Frank

Alright, the deck I've put together to use my secret lair cards is complete.

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/whos-that-pokemon-v2/

Everything tribal.
I feel it lacks removal.

My dumb ass deck on the other hand:

https://www.mtgvault.com/fhorrigan/decks/papa-nurgles-gift/

I may have to build something similar to your deck. I'd chuck in a Kindred Dominance and some such like that though.

Got my Secret Lair finally.

My stained-glass planeswalker is Domri. Bit of a bummer. I was really hoping to get a Nikky B just because I'm building my old villains of Magic decks again and he would make a lovely jewel in that deck.

Frank

Frank

So I'm building Reaper King, and lately I've been avoiding EDHREC because it's way more satisfying to build the decks myself first just going through my own collection and then checking afterwards. Looking at Rite of Replication to go along with Reaper King literally made me cackle out loud.

Frank

Frank

I'm legit mad at how much of discrepancy there is between how amazing the art is on this card and how bafflingly shit it is.

Zappit

Zappit

There’s a big reanimator mechanic called Escape in the new Theros set. This card is specifically built to combat that. In practically every other format, it’s a turd on a stick.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm legit mad at how much of discrepancy there is between how amazing the art is on this card and how bafflingly shit it is.

My boy Tymaret deserves better.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I could even believe it came from Fallen Empires, except for the fact that the card text does not contain the word “saproling” anywhere.

—Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So this card is going to break the format in high end EDH/cEDH

image0.jpg

Zappit

Zappit

Azami players are going to love that card.

Frank

Frank

I mean, it's just another toolbox in the Lab Man, etc combo isn't it? I don't see how it's any more broken, but I'm probably missing something.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I mean, it's just another toolbox in the Lab Man, etc combo isn't it? I don't see how it's any more broken, but I'm probably missing something.
So in very high end play, lab man is one of the most common win conditions. And when Jace, Wielder of Mysteries came out, that was a huge boon to that strategy because it was basically another lab man.

This is functionally a third one, which in a singleton format is huge, but even more than that it is simply -better- than lab man, as lab man requires you to draw with an empty library while he is on the board, and this just has to etb with an empty (or mostly empty) library.

Unlike lab man it's also not a dead card if you are holding it and not trying to go for a win. And in cEDH it can be pulled with flash hulk, making the already strongest and fastest combo even stronger

Frank

Frank

So, here's me today.

"Oh cool, they're reprinting the enemy fetch lands. That's a good thing. Oh, it's a Secret Lair drop? That sucks. Oh, it's 165 FUCKING DOLLARS AMERICAN MAKING IT LITERALLY FIVE TIMES AS EXPENSIVE AS EVERY OTHER SECRET LAIR? Good thing Wizards doesn't take the secondary market into consideration."

FUCK. OFF.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, here's me today.

"Oh cool, they're reprinting the enemy fetch lands. That's a good thing. Oh, it's a Secret Lair drop? That sucks. Oh, it's 165 FUCKING DOLLARS AMERICAN MAKING IT LITERALLY FIVE TIMES AS EXPENSIVE AS EVERY OTHER SECRET LAIR? Good thing Wizards doesn't take the secondary market into consideration."

FUCK. OFF.
It gets worse. The $165 was the price of Commander anthologies back when they did MSRP. They said they expect these to sell for just a bit more, and given the demand and lack of msrp these will be $200-$250 easy.

But wait, there's even more worse. All past secret lair drops were online order only and print to demand. These are going to be sold only in LGSes, which is fine, but supply will be limited. How limited? I called around, and it seems like the most an LGS can order is... 10

Frank

Frank

2.5 playsets of each fetch per store. Eat shit.

Zappit

Zappit

Frank

Frank

That is a much better hobby than mine currently, which include being angry at nature and being angry at the government.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I've just set up a webcam for remote play

Frank

Frank

I would if webcams weren't doubled in price and like a month shipping right now

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I would if webcams weren't doubled in price and like a month shipping right now
Pro-tip, I bought a vlogging camcorder instead, they were still in stock and under $50. A friend of mine repurposed an old smartphone

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

IMG_5112.jpg

Frank

Frank

Boy, Ikoria is doing less than nothing for me. I never would have thought a set about weird giant monsters would be a no go for me, but here we are.

Frank

Frank

1585841429547.png

Hilariously terrible timing. This first paper printing name of this card is Spacegodzilla, Death Corona.

WOOPS.

Zappit

Zappit

Whatever this Companion Mechanic is, it got a card banned in EDH on the same day it was spoiled.

Frank

Frank

People are shitting all over the CAG and RC for banning it while apparently conveniently ignoring that it's ALSO BANNED IN BRAWL the format WotC directly controls.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I think banning it in EDH is perfectly reasonable, because it's poorly designed for that format, and I don't really like how hearthstoney all the designs for companion in Ikoria are. But that the RC acted so quickly to ban this day one and still refuses to look at flash and thassa's oracle, both of which dominate the format, is leading to a lot of this anger.

Frank

Frank

I think banning it in EDH is perfectly reasonable, because it's poorly designed for that format, and I don't really like how hearthstoney all the designs for companion in Ikoria are. But that the RC acted so quickly to ban this day one and still refuses to look at flash and thassa's oracle, both of which dominate the format, is leading to a lot of this anger.
I'm betting Flash is gone on the 20th when they make their full rules changes known. They just wanted to get ahead of the pack on the companion card.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm betting Flash is gone on the 20th when they make their full rules changes known.
I will eat a beta Wheel of Fortune* if they actually ban flash. The Rules Committee hates cEDH that much, and they don't want to appear as if they are actually listening to them.

*maybe I'll just nibble it... in a sleeve

Frank

Frank

I have an Unlimited Wheel of Fortune, which other than my foil Karn Liberated, is probably my most expensive card I still own.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

IMG_20200403_045310.jpg

Frank

Frank

Why?

To all those expeditions I mean, I never understood the allure.

The beta Wheel of Fortune, 100% I get.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Why?

To all those expeditions I mean, I never understood the allure.

The beta Wheel of Fortune, 100% I get.
Those I got a really good deal on and plan to flip, assuming we're ever able to go outside again.

Also, they're shiny

Zappit

Zappit

Yeah, you’re going to want to wait to sell those. The singles market took quite a dip with everything going on, and it might take awhile to build back up.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Yeah, you’re going to want to wait to sell those. The singles market took quite a dip with everything going on, and it might take awhile to build back up.
On the contrary, that's why it was a good time to buy

Frank

Frank

Can....c..can I have your Beta Wheel of Fortune?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

And since I'm already showing off...

IMG_20200328_001408.jpg

IMG_20200314_234821.jpg
IMG_20200303_122857.jpg
IMG_20200303_123012.jpg

IMG_20200303_122809.jpg

This is my end of the world stockpile

Frank

Frank

I deffo have a SoD. Never had any interest in Slivers so those cards can FUCK OOOOOFF!

PatrThom

PatrThom

They were quite the plague in their time.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I deffo have a SoD. Never had any interest in Slivers so those cards can FUCK OOOOOFF!
I run an Ur-Dragon deck that is secretly a changeling deck which is secretly a slivers deck

Frank

Frank

Man, the cycling Commander deck is the only one I'm interested in and was glad I already own a Fluctuator because I thought there was no chance in hell they'd actually reprint something old that's that good and they proved me wrong. Good on you Wizards, Fluctuator is a great include.

Frank

Frank

1586792558582.png

A 'little' more than 165.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

View attachment 33588

A 'little' more than 165.
Holy fuck

Zappit

Zappit

Ah, yes...good ol’ Star City Games, driving up prices to ludicrous levels.

Damn thing is, they’re successfully selling them at that price. MtgFinance has been tracking it, and SCG definitely got more than 10 sets.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Ah, yes...good ol’ Star City Games, driving up prices to ludicrous levels.

Damn thing is, they’re successfully selling them at that price. MtgFinance has been tracking it, and SCG definitely got more than 10 sets.
They also partner with WotC, so while they might claim there's no MSRP, this is as close to an official price as you can get

Frank

Frank

I will eat a beta Wheel of Fortune* if they actually ban flash. The Rules Committee hates cEDH that much, and they don't want to appear as if they are actually listening to them.

*maybe I'll just nibble it... in a sleeve
POST THE PICTURES POE. I need to see you nibble that card....in a sleeve.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

POST THE PICTURES POE. I need to see you nibble that card....in a sleeve.
I just got out of the shower, so my hair and beard are a mess, but a promise is a promise.

IMG_20200420_123429.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

This and RIP Flash Hulk.
So much going on right now in MtGdom

—Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

This and RIP Flash Hulk.
So much going on right now in MtGdom

—Patrick
I'd be happier if they weren't so condescending in the rules announcement. They want everyone to know that even though they're banning flash, they still don't like cEDH

Frank

Frank

I'd be happier if they weren't so condescending in the rules announcement. They want everyone to know that even though they're banning flash, they still don't like cEDH

Frank

Frank

Boy do I feel driven from this game with every new announcement.

At the rate they're going, booster packs are going to be like 50 bucks Canadian each with each new dumb ass 'reprint' set.

It's easier than ever not to care though, since I can't play with anyone anyways.

Zappit

Zappit

I’ve been building Otrimi because Mutate looks fun as all get-out.

I think Wizards might have made an oopsy.

I didn’t think of it myself, but apparently, you can turn Otrimi into a Planeswalker.

AFADCCFA-2E11-4726-ADBD-510F3A24611F.png

Play Oko or any Planeswalker that can become a creature. (Gideon, it’s your time to shine!)
Make it a creature. Mutate a creature on top of it. Even when the effect wears off at the end of turn, the mutated creature keeps the Planeswalker abilities.

Yeah.

It’s been discussed, and it’s a legit board state you can achieve.

I mean, yes, this is really cool, and I might have the planeswalker deck with this Oko on the way, but I have a feeling there’s going to be a slew of unexpected interactions with Mutate.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I’ve been building Otrimi because Mutate looks fun as all get-out.

I think Wizards might have made an oopsy.

I didn’t think of it myself, but apparently, you can turn Otrimi into a Planeswalker.

View attachment 34019

Play Oko or any Planeswalker that can become a creature. (Gideon, it’s your time to shine!)
Make it a creature. Mutate a creature on top of it. Even when the effect wears off at the end of turn, the mutated creature keeps the Planeswalker abilities.

Yeah.

It’s been discussed, and it’s a legit board state you can achieve.

I mean, yes, this is really cool, and I might have the planeswalker deck with this Oko on the way, but I have a feeling there’s going to be a slew of unexpected interactions with Mutate.
Your local resident almost judge here popping in to point out that this still is not Gideon's time to shine. Gideon turns into a human and mutate can only target nonhumans

Zappit

Zappit

Your local resident almost judge here popping in to point out that this still is not Gideon's time to shine. Gideon turns into a human and mutate can only target nonhumans
Oh, that’s right. I forgot it’s “Human Soldier” when he becomes a creature. I thought it was just Soldier.

Guess it’s only Oko’s other card if you play Otrimi.

Frank

Frank

Too bad Sarkhan is red. He makes himself and everyone else big daaaaargons.

Zappit

Zappit

Too bad Sarkhan is red. He makes himself and everyone else big daaaaargons.
There are red Mutate creatures, though none of them are legendary. Maybe next set?

Zappit

Zappit

New Commander rule change: Commanders now hit the graveyard, then move to the Command Zone when they die. This means Commanders with death triggers like Kokusho, Child of Alara, and Elenda do their thing if they bite it.

Also, they have shot up in price.

Exiling with effects like Banishing Light or Oblivion Ring works differently now. They go into exile and right back into the command zone.

I like the change personally. I’ve got an Elenda in my Teysa Karlov deck, and it’s getting a bit boring. I might have them swap places.

Frank

Frank

Excellent. I already own all those cards.

Child of Alara Baby Gates deck is still the best.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Excellent. I already own all those cards.

Child of Alara Baby Gates deck is still the best.
I'm in the process of building a child of alara deck after this change. I purchased one for $3 right after the stream reveal on the rule change, so before it shot up to $20.

It's gonna be the most miserable deck ever. It's gonna be a war crime. I'm going to be banned from some LGSes. It's gonna be great.

PatrThom

PatrThom

So now we're even retiring MTG cards for being too racist?

Cleanse
Crusade
Imprison
Invoke Prejudice
Jihad
Pradesh Gypsies
Stone-Throwing Devils

--Patrick

Zappit

Zappit

It’s in reaction to this Reddit thread that gained a ton of attention.

Hopefully, they’ll actually address the concerns about racism in the workplace rather than just ban cards. Seriously, read the initial post because - uh, WOW.

The Invoke Prejuduce bam is one people have requested for years. The artist is an actual fucking Neo-Nazi, and the Gatherer ID number is, I shit you not, 1488.

The other bans were unexpected, though. Someone else did a very nice write up on why they were banned.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So now we're even retiring MTG cards for being too racist?

Cleanse
Crusade
Imprison
Invoke Prejudice
Jihad
Pradesh Gypsies
Stone-Throwing Devils

--Patrick
While some of these seem a bit questionable, if they make the game more welcoming then it's a good decision. Also, all these cards are bad, with the exception of invoke prejudice which was already soft banned because fucking look at it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Wow. Even the images of the cards are behind a consent guard now.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

Cool, that's 2/8 of my favourite Magic artists now gone down in flames as scumbag TERFs or in Noah Bradley's case, a sociopathic sexual predator who literally follows a sociopathic sexual predator's guide to being a sociopathic sexual predator.

If I find out anything bad about Wayne Reynolds. Rebecca Guay (who doesn't do Magic anymore because apparently her style doesn't fit Magic.....HER ART IS WONDERFUL YOU FUCKS) or Seb Mckinnon I'm just gonna burn my collection.

Zappit

Zappit

Yeah, and the Bradley stuff is really fucked up, especially when you see the 48 Rules of Power screen background he used. It’s like a friggin’ guide to sociopathy, and he’s following it to the letter for this “apology.”

PatrThom

PatrThom

Cool, that's 2/8 of my favourite Magic artists now gone down in flames as scumbag TERFs
Who's the first?

--Patrick

Zappit

Zappit

Who's the first?

--Patrick
Terese Neilsen

Frank

Frank

Frank's hot take, I wish WotC had never printed ANY cards that have the words Command Zone on them.

Honestly, Commander too.

Frank

Frank

Fucking lol at Double Masters. You too can spend more money on a box of Magic than you would buying a new video game console and get the chance at a fucking common from the set as your box topper.

Zappit

Zappit

Yeah, I think I’ll be canceling my Double Masters box. I was willing to take a (big) chance, but they’re making it an easy decision with these spoilers. $300 for bulk rates? Screw that!

Zappit

Zappit

Oh, Expedition Map and the Urza lands have been upshifted to rare, which means they can be your box toppers! Isn’t THAT just delightful?

Frank

Frank

ONE of the Urza lands as a box topper is literally the dumbest shit.

Zappit

Zappit

ONE of the Urza lands as a box topper is literally the dumbest shit.
Holy shit, this just keeps getting better. Expedition Map and the Urza lands are also part of the cardpool for those $100 VIP packs! Imagine spending that much and pulling those.

Frank

Frank

It has become extremely apparent that Double Masters is just a hasty repackaging of the Artifact Masters set that was scrapped a while ago.

Zappit

Zappit

Spoilers are still underwhelming, but the prices on the sealed product seem to be dipping. The VIP packs are dropping now, and my Amazon preorder price has come down twenty bucks. I wonder if the preorder prices will crash enough to make a box worth it. Right now, I’m leaning towards cancelling.

Zappit

Zappit

It has become extremely apparent that Double Masters is just a hasty repackaging of the Artifact Masters set that was scrapped a while ago.
I do believe you are right. These are new spoilers:

Frank

Frank

Breya's a mythic in the set. Heeelarious. She's less to buy than a pack is worth.

I love Breya a lot, but fuck off.

Zappit

Zappit

Aaaand with commons and uncommon among the potential boxtoppers, I’m out. I’ll save my money for Commander Masters.

Zappit

Zappit

Yeah, this was DEFINITELY the artifact Masters set getting repackaged.

Frank

Frank

Some nice Orientalism Fu-man-chu art for Dark Confidant to piss off Asian players.

It does bug me that I will never own the Wayne Reynolds Blightsteel Colossus because I won't have the 46 million dollars it's going to go for for one.

At least the new Karn art is actually bad.

Unrelated, holy shit Gilded Drakes have spiked to 200 fucking dollars? I have two of those I literally haven't used in years. It really is time to sell a bunch of my collection.

Zappit

Zappit

Huh - remember how I mentioned the Double Masters preorder I cancelled at Amazon had dropped by $20? Looks like Amazon put $20 into my gift card balance.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It really is time to sell a bunch of my collection.
I've been saying this for almost 20 years now.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

I kind of hate that Double Masters is full of new art by classic Magic artists because I will never own a single one of those cards. Even the iffy ones like Karn.

This new Force of Will art fucking rules.

1595545868705.jpeg

PatrThom

PatrThom

This new Force of Will art fucking rules.
Considering the old Force of Will art looked like a constipated genie, it would not be difficult to improve upon it.

—Patrick

Frank

Frank

Can you imagine paying like 15 (more than 10 US depending on your store) bucks Canadian for a pack of Double Masters and getting this:

1595704599603.png

I would sell my Magic collection immediately.

Frank

Frank

It's a reprint from a recent set worth about a quarter. It's in a set that's booster packs cost over 10 bucks a pack.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It’s a decent weenie, but that’s about it.

—Patrick

Frank

Frank

It's a fantastic limited card and is fine in a set where the packs cost normal prices. It's entirely bullshit in an insanely overinflated priced masters set.

Frank

Frank

Beating a dead horse, but are you fucking kidding me as a mythic?

1595872262136.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

Not unless it‘s guaranteed to come bundled with a Teferi’s Realm or something.

—Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Beating a dead horse, but are you fucking kidding me as a mythic?

View attachment 34766
That thing was even in some Commander precons

Frank

Frank

It was in a duel deck for God's sakes.

Frank

Frank

And speaking of cards JUST reprinted in Commander precons.

1595875428561.png

A cheap uncommon upshifted to rare. COOL.

1595881303142.png

Zappit

Zappit

Looks like they doubled the upshifts, too!

Zappit

Zappit

Well, Commander Legends looked like a fun set with a lot of interesting cards.

Then this happened.

9EF7ACEC-AFE6-444F-9492-5D8AFC4024CA.png

I mean, I have two boxes preordered, so the odds I’ll pull one is decent, but Commander did not need this card.

Frank

Frank

I care about that WAY less than the 3 mana search stealer.

Zappit

Zappit

25F77F96-8B8C-4E90-B41B-781B28C7E35D.jpeg

Never bought collector’s packs before. Pretty excited to get this pait today. Caught Amazon’s pricing algorithm at a low point and got lucky. I’ll open them later and share the results.

Update:
F1C0F4CF-91D1-403B-A862-0E926AD57B9C.jpeg

Not bad. The etched Ramos is pretty nice - non of the big chase cards, though.

Zappit

Zappit

I cracked a box of Commander Legends today, and I did okay. I pulled a Mana Drain and two Opposition Agents - one of which was foil. Got the value of the box back on those three cards.

I did not get very many rare Legendaries in the two Legendaries slots in the packs, though.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I had to check the calendar to make sure it didn't say "April."

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

Holy shit.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

HHhhhooollllly crap

This guy is the actual person I talk about that I could've been if I still had most of the cards I ever had. I still have a crapton, but most of the really good ones were sold off years ago. My friends got me started in the days just after Legends was sold out, so it was RV for me. There was a shop in the strip where I worked at a restaurant. Usually every day I'd stop on my way in & buy 4 boosters for 10 bucks ($2.50/ea back in those days). I remember there was a conversion chart of what RV card replaced what oop UL card on the print sheets & the number of Moxes (Moxen?) I would've had was insane.

Still managed to buy the occasional oop card as singles & work some trades. At one time I owned a beta Black Lotus (/sigh) but that was traded for a UL lotus which was eventually sold off in 1995ish as part of my new PC fund. I've owned every single power 9 at one time, quite a few of those as betas.

Now as I said I still have a crapton of cards, highlights being a bunch of dual lands, an AN Guardian Beast & Bazaar of Baghdad. I would get out & they would keep pulling me back in! SO as a result my collection has waves. RV-AL, then Mirage block, then Urza's block, back again for Mirrodin, and again for Mirrodin Beseiged. But I've been clean for 7 years now. Have been trying to catalog my collection using deckbox, but keep getting sidetracked. Deckbox value says $10K so far & haven't even gotten to the playdecks yet.

But THIS guy... 3X LG sets?!? 3X AN?! 3X AQ?!! $140K & apparently financially secure to just give it away...

Frank

Frank

I'm betting he had full playsets of the whole sets and just kept one for his collection.

But yeah, giving up a whole Beta set and 3 of each Legends, Antiquities and Arabian Nights is fucking bonkeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrsz.

Frank

Frank

So, I'm bumping this because I'm sadly, forcibly done with Magic. I sold my entire collection over the last couple of months to fund life. Bit of a bummer, but whatcha gonna do. At least I got in while the iron was hot and card prices are beyond fucking insane. I still can't believe I got multiple hundreds of dollars for 2 NM Gilded Drakes, cards I bought like 7-8 years ago for like 10 bucks each and it was like pulling teeth at the point. Spending more than 10 dollars a card was fucking folly for me. The Reserve List is bullshit.

Also, there's some controversy with the new set, a prolific artist was caught plagiarizing an unknown artist and fucking Raymond Swanland (one of the MOST prolific Magic artists). How this dipshit thought he would get away with this without anyone noticing is insane to me. Of course, he's also all in on NFTs. BIG SHOCK there.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, I'm bumping this because I'm sadly, forcibly done with Magic. I sold my entire collection over the last couple of months to fund life. Bit of a bummer, but whatcha gonna do. At least I got in while the iron was hot and card prices are beyond fucking insane. I still can't believe I got multiple hundreds of dollars for 2 NM Gilded Drakes, cards I bought like 7-8 years ago for like 10 bucks each and it was like pulling teeth at the point. Spending more than 10 dollars a card was fucking folly for me. The Reserve List is bullshit.

Also, there's some controversy with the new set, a prolific artist was caught plagiarizing an unknown artist and fucking Raymond Swanland (one of the MOST prolific Magic artists). How this dipshit thought he would get away with this without anyone noticing is insane to me. Of course, he's also all in on NFTs. BIG SHOCK there.
There's always online play through things like cockatrice, or proxies. You can print and cut a 100 card Commander deck on quality card stock at most print shops for about $10 USD, and there are websites that will give you print sheets with custom art if your print shop is iffy on copyrighted material

Frank

Frank

Oh for sure. I just meant legit Magic. Actually, my best friend just pilfered a small photo printer from his workplace that prints out very nice looking proxies. We're probably gonna do stuff like that.

Frank

Frank

1617153526254.png

This is pushed as fuck for only being a rare.

Zappit

Zappit

Codie McCodexface

Frank

Frank

Also, why is it a rare? I'd be mad if it was my pack rare in limited where it's basically trash.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

My daughter has a "boyfriend" who is into MTG. I only have my blue white denial deck left and apparently it's worth 1000's of dollars!

Massive eyeroll on my part.

That aside, what are the new trends and releases all about these days.

Frank

Frank

My daughter has a "boyfriend" who is into MTG. I only have my blue white denial deck left and apparently it's worth 1000's of dollars!

Massive eyeroll on my part.

That aside, what are the new trends and releases all about these days.
You laugh, but if it has stuff like Force of Will or the like in it, it is probably worth a great amount of money.

The new set is Harry Potter-esque wizard school.

Though, I'm gonna call it a flavour fail to make the blue-green school, the Quandrix, the math is magic school of the set, then print a red Prismari (blue-red) card that actually requires you to do FAR more math to use.

1617321188835.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

Sooo...
Spend RR3: Does 5 damage to 1 target.
Spend RR6: Does 10 damage each to 1 or 2 targets.
Spend RR9: Does 15 damage each to 1 or 2 or 3 targets.
And so on.
Presumably also spend RR to do 0 damage to 0 targets, but that'd be silly.

--Patrick

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Looks like a clear the table multplayer card.

Lets see, deck contains

Sol Ring
Marble Diamond x3
Sky Diamond x3
Ivory Tower
Mana Web
Ashnods Cylix
Horn of Deafening
Cursed Rack
Dark Sphere
Storm Cauldron
Relic Barrier
Jesters Mask
Meekstone
Feldons Cane
Barks Cage
Ankh of Mishra x3
Winter Orb
Sheltered Valley x2
Strip Mine x2
Halls of Mist
Maze of Ith
Mishras Factory
CoP Artefact
Swords to Plowshares x2
Wrath of God
Balance
Armageddon x3
Disenchant x2
Festival x2
Royal Decree
Reparations
Dream Tides x2
Flooded Shorelines
Overburden
Force of Will x3
Arcane Denial x2
Reconstruction
Illusionary Terrain
Energy Vortex
Shimmer
Power Sink
Diminishing Returns
Soul Barrier
Counterspell x4
Mana Vortex
Islands x 11
Plains x 5

I had it split into a side bar but my offspring has opted to remove that.

Frank

Frank

For a brief moment I read Mishra's Factory as Mishra's Workshop and just about gasped.

But yeah, if everything's in good condition there are some particularly expensive cards in that deck. The Strip Mines are 20 bucks each. Force of Wills are 100 bucks US each.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

What does Commander mean?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Force of Wills are 100 bucks US each.
Now you make me wish I hadn't given away the extra 7 I had.

--Patrick

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I vaguely remember Balance being a card people complained about on the old newsgroups.

Frank

Frank

Commander is a singleton format where the decks are 99 cards with one legendary creature acting as the commander. All cards in the deck must match the colours of the commander. 1 of each card except basic lands. Best played with 4 players.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

That's a really big deck. Is 40 60 not standard anymore?

Frank

Frank

That's a really big deck. Is 40 60 not standard anymore?
Totally. 40 is still standard for Limited, while 60 is still standard for...Standard, Legacy, Modern, Vintage, Historic, Pioneer, etc, etc.

Commander is just this weird unwieldy monster that has become the most popular format (mostly because it's generally more casual and multiplayer).

Frank

Frank

I quickly plugged your deck into TCGplayer and got an estimate of about 700 US. So, you know, there you go.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Totally. 40 is still standard for Limited, while 60 is still standard for...Standard, Legacy, Modern, Vintage, Historic, Pioneer, etc, etc.

Commander is just this weird unwieldy monster that has become the most popular format (mostly because it's generally more casual and multiplayer).
I'm guessing those words restrict the sets you can use, is there a website that details all this.

Apparently the "boyfriend" wants my Mana Crypts. I had an old flip a coin only deck that got damaged, so some of the cards are kicking around. It had an Orb of Chaos in it that I traded so my wife and kids could get some Pokemon cards.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm guessing those words restrict the sets you can use, is there a website that details all this.

Apparently the "boyfriend" wants my Mana Crypts. I had an old flip a coin only deck that got damaged, so some of the cards are kicking around. It had an Orb of Chaos in it that I traded so my wife and kids could get some Pokemon cards.
Mana crypt runs about $100-$150 right now. Possibly more if it's the old book promo, which I'm assuming it is since you stopped playing before the reprints

Edit: yup old classic border version is about $250

Denbrought

Denbrought

Any recommendations on how one would go about selling their Magic cards? Preferred companies or somesuch. My collection is doing me no good sitting around, haven't played in years. Beyond keeping my 2-3 personal decks, I think the rest can go.

Frank

Frank

I sold mine locally to the local big ass LGS that has tons of single stock.

I got about 70% of the value I would have if I just sold them piece meal card by card to people wanting single cards, but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

I think the easiest way to make the most money is to take your collection to a bigger game store. If you want less money, but less work in general, you can just send them to a big store like Star City or Card Kingdom or Channel Fireball. If you want the most money, but the most work, sell them on TCGPlayer, but you have to do all the work of shipping singles all over the place.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah, I just want out. But when I do it, it'll probably end up going as one solid lot. You want these good cards? Ok but you're going to have to choke down all my lands and Thallids and Gypsies and other stuff, too.

--Patrick

Denbrought

Denbrought

Appreciate the info, looked at the websites and the Channel Fireball bulk buy sounds interesting (except for commons, of course). I think I'll try and find a spare afternoon this month to see what my rarer cards are worth, and work back from there. Need to sort out any with sentimental value anyway.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Yeah, I just want out. But when I do it, it'll probably end up going as one solid lot. You want these good cards? Ok but you're going to have to choke down all my lands and Thallids and Gypsies and other stuff, too.

--Patrick
That's how my best friend started his collection in college, he bid on some dude's eBay auction for all his cards. After we sifted through thousands of old cards, he ended up making some really fun+strong decks.

I doubt it's worth the shipping on most of my commons/lands, or the gas to a gaming store, unless I'm already going there.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

If anyone has really old magic card collections and just wants to get rid of them for no money for some reason (I don't know, maybe you hate capitalism, join me in the revolution) I will totally take them off your hands

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I had planned on just giving them to a local store that got robbed recently.

Frank

Frank

Woof, the shit Hasbro flexing more control over WotC is doing is getting really, really disgusting at this point.

PatrThom

PatrThom

"Subscribe before your friends do or you risk getting pwned!"
What is this, some engineered form of Yukora's Dilemma?

--Patrick

Zappit

Zappit

Secret Lairs already aren’t worth it, so why not make it prohibitively more expensive for virtually no benefit whatsoever?

WotC sent out a survey. I filled it out to let them know there was no way I’d buy SLs under a membership plan.

Frank

Frank

Don't buy sealed boxes unless you absolutely know the sellers.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Don't buy sealed boxes unless you absolutely know the sellers.
I'll go one further and say as a consumer don't by sealed boxes at all

Frank

Frank

So I've all but given up on Magic, but for a set that knocks it out of the park in 99% of it's presentation, from it's amazing looking lands to having the fucking Fist of the North Star artist do it's premier planeswalker but this. This. THIS SUCKS.

1640027460825.png

You know what the difference is? Red is twice as rare as green, green is twice as rare as blue is in like 1/99 packs and yellow is only available at LGSs.

THESE LOOK LIKE SHIT! The colours don't even work and the strange obfuscated rarity that makes the card look worse? Why?

figmentPez

figmentPez

That looks like the 90's trope of neon cartoon overlays. Cue teen protagonist voice over, "You can't actually see the energy radiating off an Ogre Demon, but if you could, it would look like this..."

Frank

Frank

Professor knocks this one out of the park, especially towards the end of the list.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So I got my new custom proxy...

IMG_20220530_191649_186.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

Still best retort to Channel/Fireball.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

1655078825481.png

1655078767254.jpeg

—Patrick

Frank

Frank

When I went through my collection and threw out all the old chaff, I purposefully didn't fill the bags very much. Those cards get very heavy, very quickly.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Technically YGO not MTG but good a place as any I guess:

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

1660924983679.png

God damn it Wizards, he's the SILENT fucking king.

Terrik

Terrik

View attachment 42292

God damn it Wizards, he's the SILENT fucking king.
Yeah well the necrons have really been made into a bunch of talkers in these newer editions. I kind of preferred the silent horror type.

Frank

Frank

I'm a Necron boy. They're my 40K army and I even bought the shitty books around them. Big man Szarekh doesn't talk to anyone. ANYONE!

PatrThom

PatrThom

You don't suppose this is from his writings, do you?

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

I DO NOT.

Frank

Frank

So, a friend gifted me an old photo printer from his place of work (old being a couple years). It's massive, it's prints beautiful looking proxies on what is currently a limitless supply of photo paper and the only downside is having to spend some time cutting them all out.

I have the ability to make any dream deck I've ever wanted to play with some friends who still have Magic and all I want to do is build janky theme decks like this devil/aristocrats deck no one would ever call CEDH level.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, a friend gifted me an old photo printer from his place of work (old being a couple years). It's massive, it's prints beautiful looking proxies on what is currently a limitless supply of photo paper and the only downside is having to spend some time cutting them all out.

I have the ability to make any dream deck I've ever wanted to play with some friends who still have Magic and all I want to do is build janky theme decks like this devil/aristocrats deck no one would ever call CEDH level.

Proxies for jank are the most pure expression of EDH you can have.

Frank

Frank

Couldn't be happier to see a Torch Fiend on the same page as a Meathook Massacre.
20220829_224854.jpg

Frank

Frank

I keep building Rakdos decks. Rakdos decks are my jam.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I keep building Rakdos decks. Rakdos decks are my jam.

So you didn't ask for advice, but if I may make a suggestion, phyrexian arena is garbage. Early on in EDH it was a staple of black, but as power level increases and players get better at the format, it's just too damn slow. It has to stay on the board for three turns before you make a decent return on your investment, paying three mana to draw two cards and lose two life. You could just cast read the bones and get those cards right now, as well as getting to scry, or just play a necropotence and draw all the cards.

ths-101-read-the-bones.jpg

ima-98-necropotence.jpg

Frank

Frank

I understand both are TECHNICALLY better and I understand it's cool to hate on Arena right now but the amount of times after a devastating board wipe that good ole Arena sat there and allowed me to plug keep plugging away is enough that I hate losing it. Necropotence is an Archenemy mode card, the moment you play it, everyone is out for your blood.

No one's going to waste enchantment removal on Arena.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Since we're sharing decks, here's my coinflip deck

Frank

Frank

I really enjoyed my Zndrsplt/Okaun deck but I got a groan every time I pulled it out because of the time consuming nature of coin flips (I even had a Magic coin I got from an MTG adjacent jewelry crafter). Also, everyone was sick of the old Okaun + Chandra's Ignition Earth shattering kaboom combo.

I've been entertaining myself today by designing decks around Baldur's Gate characters. They're hard to make anything interesting out of because of how bland the set was but I ended up making an Abdel Adrian deck (the hero of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2) and holy shit has white been amped up to heaven since the last time I played Commander a lot. It's like turn 4 or 5 and I have swarms of nearly infinitely recurring tokens (like it takes two board wipes back to back to deal with it).

I test decks on Xmage, a jank af free to use program to test out decks before I actually build (print) them out to know I actually want to play it.

Untitled.png

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I got a groan every time I pulled it out because of the time consuming nature of coin flips
I usually roll dice instead of flip actual coins, calling even or odd, but I also have a coin flipper app (that even calculates based on the number of krark's thumbs you have) for when I need to prove that yes, I actually can put ten thousand coin flips on the stack at once, let's do this

Frank

Frank

So I kind of brushed off this card when I first read it. It didn't seem particularly powerful or interesting to me at first glance.

1662569408065.png

Then someone mentioned how fucking broken it is, to the point that it's actually popping up in a Legacy deck and I thought, how bad could it be? I built a Commander deck around the ability and....holy shit. Holy shit.

It does shit like this on turn 6 pretty regularly and this is after two board wipes.

Untitled.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

Ancestral Saproling Bolt?

—Patrick

Frank

Frank

They're all such tiny abilities on their own, but you stack them together and that card is completely outrageous.

Someone rightly pointed out that he could make Boo only once and he would still be playable. His mana cost was upped to 5 on Arena, still playable.

The only thing that keeps him out of most formats is he was a Commander deck card so Legacy/Arena only formats are the only places he can haunt.

Frank

Frank

PS: Best Hamster in MTG for big money on his second ability.

1662586184576.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

Give him trample and/or haste for extra lulz.

—Patrick

Frank

Frank

So my mom tells me she thinks I'm a little autistic the other day despite my psychiatrist telling me different.

Anyways, I spent 6 straight hours tonight hyper focused making and testing different decks based around:

1662894305646.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

I hope your deck included Fork.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

I didn't actually, but I did include some larger doubling abilities. This deck is a ton of fun.

It SHOULD have a Sunforger in it, but I honestly loath tutors (outside of ramp) in Commander and would rather my deck present itself chaotically to me.

Frank

Frank

So since I've taken to printing proxies, this is my Edgar Markov and I'll fight you if you try to stand in my way.

Vlad Dracula Tepes.png

Frank

Frank

So all those 40K decks got spoiled and other than the Necron deck, all look spectacularly fun to play with. The Necron deck is undoubtedly powerful but looks boring as sin to play. Every single card is just put something into or out of a graveyard for value.

You can just look at the face Commander's for each deck to see how fucking much of a let down Necrons are.

1663352040756.png

1663352054275.png

1663352077548.png

1663352156757.png

@Li3n

@Li3n

So since I've taken to printing proxies, this is my Edgar Markov and I'll fight you if you try to stand in my way.

View attachment 42532
Here, you dropped this:

Ț

Frank

Frank

Here, you dropped this:

Ț
I thought at first that had something to do with Tzimesce but looked that up and found I was wrong, I need this reference explained to me!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I thought at first that had something to do with Tzimesce but looked that up and found I was wrong, I need this reference explained to me!
I think it's because in Romanian it's spelled Vlad Țepeș but since those letters don't exist in English certainly he couldn't be that pendantic, out here on the internet :p

Frank

Frank

So, what card would you cut from this? I've played this deck a half dozen times now in person and I can't decide what to cut.

I'll add that I've had zero mana issues and only ran out of steam once while playing it those times so I feel the card draw and ramp are in a good place.

I know it should be one of the random vampires but every one is a special baby that does something for the deck and I can't decide which one is the least.
I'm leaning towards the 4 mana lord.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, what card would you cut from this? I've played this deck a half dozen times now in person and I can't decide what to cut.

I'll add that I've had zero mana issues and only ran out of steam once while playing it those times so I feel the card draw and ramp are in a good place.

I know it should be one of the random vampires but every one is a special baby that does something for the deck and I can't decide which one is the least.
I'm leaning towards the 4 mana lord.
You could pretty safely cut a land or two. I personally don't like the cycling lands unless you have discard synergy, but that's just personal preference. Star compass is probably the weakest of your artifact ramp if you wanted to cut that. Other than that, yeah, some vampires would be the obvious cuts but then you don't play Anje to not play vampires, right?

Frank

Frank

I mean, the deck makes blood tokens by the dozens, so yeah, probably could do without the cyclers and just have them be more basics.

I THOUGHT about adding Smokestack just because I've had upwards of a dozen blood tokens at once that didn't get used before the game was over, but I don't think I'm ready to introduce that can of worms style of gameplay into my game group.