[Gaming] Tragic the Garnering

Boy, Ikoria is doing less than nothing for me. I never would have thought a set about weird giant monsters would be a no go for me, but here we are.

1585841429547.png

Hilariously terrible timing. This first paper printing name of this card is Spacegodzilla, Death Corona.

WOOPS.

Zappit

Staff member
Whatever this Companion Mechanic is, it got a card banned in EDH on the same day it was spoiled.

People are shitting all over the CAG and RC for banning it while apparently conveniently ignoring that it's ALSO BANNED IN BRAWL the format WotC directly controls.

I think banning it in EDH is perfectly reasonable, because it's poorly designed for that format, and I don't really like how hearthstoney all the designs for companion in Ikoria are. But that the RC acted so quickly to ban this day one and still refuses to look at flash and thassa's oracle, both of which dominate the format, is leading to a lot of this anger.

I think banning it in EDH is perfectly reasonable, because it's poorly designed for that format, and I don't really like how hearthstoney all the designs for companion in Ikoria are. But that the RC acted so quickly to ban this day one and still refuses to look at flash and thassa's oracle, both of which dominate the format, is leading to a lot of this anger.
I'm betting Flash is gone on the 20th when they make their full rules changes known. They just wanted to get ahead of the pack on the companion card.

I'm betting Flash is gone on the 20th when they make their full rules changes known.
I will eat a beta Wheel of Fortune* if they actually ban flash. The Rules Committee hates cEDH that much, and they don't want to appear as if they are actually listening to them.

*maybe I'll just nibble it... in a sleeve

I have an Unlimited Wheel of Fortune, which other than my foil Karn Liberated, is probably my most expensive card I still own.

Why?

To all those expeditions I mean, I never understood the allure.

The beta Wheel of Fortune, 100% I get.

Zappit

Staff member
Yeah, you’re going to want to wait to sell those. The singles market took quite a dip with everything going on, and it might take awhile to build back up.

Man, the cycling Commander deck is the only one I'm interested in and was glad I already own a Fluctuator because I thought there was no chance in hell they'd actually reprint something old that's that good and they proved me wrong. Good on you Wizards, Fluctuator is a great include.

Zappit

Staff member
Ah, yes...good ol’ Star City Games, driving up prices to ludicrous levels.

Damn thing is, they’re successfully selling them at that price. MtgFinance has been tracking it, and SCG definitely got more than 10 sets.

Ah, yes...good ol’ Star City Games, driving up prices to ludicrous levels.

Damn thing is, they’re successfully selling them at that price. MtgFinance has been tracking it, and SCG definitely got more than 10 sets.
They also partner with WotC, so while they might claim there's no MSRP, this is as close to an official price as you can get

I will eat a beta Wheel of Fortune* if they actually ban flash. The Rules Committee hates cEDH that much, and they don't want to appear as if they are actually listening to them.

*maybe I'll just nibble it... in a sleeve
POST THE PICTURES POE. I need to see you nibble that card....in a sleeve.

Boy do I feel driven from this game with every new announcement.

At the rate they're going, booster packs are going to be like 50 bucks Canadian each with each new dumb ass 'reprint' set.

It's easier than ever not to care though, since I can't play with anyone anyways.

Zappit

Staff member
I’ve been building Otrimi because Mutate looks fun as all get-out.

I think Wizards might have made an oopsy.

I didn’t think of it myself, but apparently, you can turn Otrimi into a Planeswalker.

AFADCCFA-2E11-4726-ADBD-510F3A24611F.png

Play Oko or any Planeswalker that can become a creature. (Gideon, it’s your time to shine!)
Make it a creature. Mutate a creature on top of it. Even when the effect wears off at the end of turn, the mutated creature keeps the Planeswalker abilities.

Yeah.

It’s been discussed, and it’s a legit board state you can achieve.

I mean, yes, this is really cool, and I might have the planeswalker deck with this Oko on the way, but I have a feeling there’s going to be a slew of unexpected interactions with Mutate.

I’ve been building Otrimi because Mutate looks fun as all get-out.

I think Wizards might have made an oopsy.

I didn’t think of it myself, but apparently, you can turn Otrimi into a Planeswalker.

View attachment 34019

Play Oko or any Planeswalker that can become a creature. (Gideon, it’s your time to shine!)
Make it a creature. Mutate a creature on top of it. Even when the effect wears off at the end of turn, the mutated creature keeps the Planeswalker abilities.

Yeah.

It’s been discussed, and it’s a legit board state you can achieve.

I mean, yes, this is really cool, and I might have the planeswalker deck with this Oko on the way, but I have a feeling there’s going to be a slew of unexpected interactions with Mutate.
Your local resident almost judge here popping in to point out that this still is not Gideon's time to shine. Gideon turns into a human and mutate can only target nonhumans

Zappit

Staff member
Your local resident almost judge here popping in to point out that this still is not Gideon's time to shine. Gideon turns into a human and mutate can only target nonhumans
Oh, that’s right. I forgot it’s “Human Soldier” when he becomes a creature. I thought it was just Soldier.

Guess it’s only Oko’s other card if you play Otrimi.

Zappit

Staff member
New Commander rule change: Commanders now hit the graveyard, then move to the Command Zone when they die. This means Commanders with death triggers like Kokusho, Child of Alara, and Elenda do their thing if they bite it.

Also, they have shot up in price.

Exiling with effects like Banishing Light or Oblivion Ring works differently now. They go into exile and right back into the command zone.

I like the change personally. I’ve got an Elenda in my Teysa Karlov deck, and it’s getting a bit boring. I might have them swap places.