Travel tips for London and Edinburgh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
I'm traveling to London and to Edinburgh in mid-June. Any suggestions? I'll be there with some natives, but I know some of you will have good suggestions for 'mericans. I'll be in London about a week, and then in Edinburgh for a few days. It's a business trip, so touring will be largely at night, though I will probably have a day or two here and there for day travel. Suggestions?

In Edinburgh, the castle is a must of course. It's really cool to wander around and you get a great view of the city. If you can't get any free days there, you can do one of those haunted tours during the evening, they're pretty interesting and fun.

As for London, at night you can just wander around a couple of the squares and soak up the atmosphere. If you are going to do the London Eye, you can also go to the opposite side of the river and get a nice view of the city (and of course the Eye itself) on ground level.

Grass Market in Edinburgh is gonna be cray-cray in June with lusty young college students. Great fun. Of course, the castle is a huge highlight but also the crags. Edinburgh Zoo is pretty amazing as well.

Even though you're visiting during the summer, bring an umbrella and coat. Just because it's summer there doesn't mean it's warm.

Edinburgh Castle is that place where they like to scare the bujeezus out of tourists by firing a cannon every afternoon, right?

Visit the Imperial War Museum if you get the chance. They've upgraded it over the past several years and their WWI trench exhibit even SMELLS like a trench circa 1917.

If you take a whiff in the trench exhibit you can smell dirty clothes, sweat, sewage, and putrefying meat. You never forget that stench.

Status
Not open for further replies.