Traveling to Ireland, Oct or Nov.

I've been wanting to go back to Ireland. And since I'm single now with the lower expenses of Texas living, I find that I have enough after the house purchase to make it possible. I've been keeping my eye on it for a couple of weeks now. Last time I went at the end of the Summer season. This time, I'll be going in the Autumn when tourism is less, and prices are lower (and I'll have finished all of the new house stuff).

So, as of yesterday, all of the Covid hassles with traveling to Ireland have gone away. My biggest concern was the 'within 24 hours of travel' Covid test requirement for returning to the US. I just saw lots of hiccups happening there with delayed test results, etc. In March, Ireland stopped requiring PCR tests and self-quarantining for entry. So basically, travel to Ireland from the US has reached a level of normalcy: Fly in with a passport, fly back without hassles (other than the military-like US customs station for the return trip).

Last time I went to Ireland, I went to Doolin with my wife. We compromised on a lot of things we did and saw (naturally). This time, I'm going to Galway, and I plan to spend a whole lot of time playing tunes. Plus, you know, maybe trip around a little. I posted a joking message about this a few days ago on Facebook, but the more I think about, the more certain I am that I want to do it. So certain I canceled my Dragon*Con hotel.

That said, traveling with a companion can be fun--I'm kind of contemplating being open to having company on the trip, but I'm on the fence about it. I'm older and pickier now about who I'd travel with. These would be my requirements:
  • I expect I'll play lots of Irish music if I can. If that's gonna bore you, be prepared to find something else to do. I seriously will not compromise on this--if Irish music is available, I will do that to the exclusion of anything else that may be going on in that time slot. If there's a hot naked lady shimmying in front of me in the room begging me to stay in, she should prepare for disappointment. In that same vein, I will always have a whistle on me, and will play on my own just sitting around, too. So, be prepared for that shit, too.
  • I don't care for 'curated' tours where you spend more time on a bus rushing to tourist destinations, only to spend an over-crowded couple of hours there only to get back on a bus. I'm gonna rent a room, cottage or something similar, get a car, and make my own way. That means cooking my own food, and basically immersing myself in the city and finding my own things to do. I may trip outside of the city to look at ruins and country-side, I may jaunt over to the Aran Islands (Galway has a ferry nearby). I'm sure I'll eat at pubs and restaurants, too. But all of it will be on my own time table and very flexible as to how I'm feeling on a particular day.
  • I do like to shop a bit. Last time I was in Ireland, I loved hitting up local stores (more-so than touristy shops like at the Cliffs of Moher).
  • I ain't anyone's sugar daddy (though I guess that part might be negotiable :cool:): Anyone accompanying me would need their own money. Likewise, if you aren't staying in my room, you'd need to figure out your own accommodations and stuff. Fair warning, I snore. I'm gonna have a rental car. If you don't wanna drive where I want to drive, you'll need your own. But at that point, the point of traveling together starts having diminished value. :p
  • Ireland has a very strong drink culture. I was having Guinness every day last time I was there. But I'm old, yo. I don't wanna babysit some drunk person the entire time I'm there. Keep your shit together and drink in moderation.
  • I have a gimp knee. I've had it all my life, but it's worse now that I'm older and fatter. I can walk about 2 hours before my knee gives out. So, I'm not hiking *anywhere*
Anyway, the more I think about it, the more I think traveling alone may be the way to go. I've got a very narrow focus of things I am interested in, and I'm uncompromising about some things I will and won't put up with. But, you never know--there may be someone out there that has similar interests (or at least willing to put up with mine). I guess I'll stay open to the idea--there's a couple months yet before I have to commit and start buying tickets and booking rooms.

I guess I'm just word vomiting here. I live alone. I don't have anyone else to talk to about shit except online. lol

Last edited:
This sounds like a great trip, and probably how I'd want to see Ireland again, too! (I mean, I don't whistle, but it wouldn't bother me, either.) I have my heart set on getting Li'l Z there now that he's older, and Mr. Z, too! He has the personality to fit in well with the Irish folks, as he has learned at my family get-togethers. Actually, if we finally get the trip planned, I'd like them to see parts of all of Great Britain, too, like I did when I was 16.

:Leyla:

--Patrick
Priorities. I'm new at this job, and don't have enough vacation days to do both. Plus, I've been to D*C a number of times--and as I get older, the less tolerant I am of being shoved up against people, walking like sheep down the rows of the vendors hall, and running into the occasional nerd stereotype: Big, sweaty, and doesn't know how to shower. I'm getting persnickety in my old age.

That sounds like an amazing trip.
I've never been to Ireland, and it's on my list for "someday".
I hear you on the older, fatter, and crankier/pickier around travel! And also the lifelong bum knee. I love the idea of hiking, but not the practice. Shit hurts, yo!

That sounds like an amazing time! I hope it's everything you want it to be and more.

Traveling alone is really a wonderful thing, if you haven't done it often. I honestly love it. But if you do end up going with someone, it sounds like you have a handle on it and your expectations. If they're independent, I don't think it would be an issue.

I'd offer to go with and be a silly travel companion if I didn't already have trips planned for the later part of the year. :heart:

That sounds like an amazing time! I hope it's everything you want it to be and more.

Traveling alone is really a wonderful thing, if you haven't done it often. I honestly love it. But if you do end up going with someone, it sounds like you have a handle on it and your expectations. If they're independent, I don't think it would be an issue.

I'd offer to go with and be a silly travel companion if I didn't already have trips planned for the later part of the year. :heart:
That's sweet to say :) I'm kind of resigned to the fact of traveling alone, which I've never done--or rather, have never done it on a big trip like this. But, assuming that I'll be doing so, I've ordered a selfie stick from Amazon :D

That's sweet to say :) I'm kind of resigned to the fact of traveling alone, which I've never done--or rather, have never done it on a big trip like this. But, assuming that I'll be doing so, I've ordered a selfie stick from Amazon :D
If all else fails, you always have all of us to talk to about your travels! :D So you aren't really alone.

Haha, I think that'll be great! Can't wait to hear more about it when it happens and see pics.

At least my existing phone will work in Ireland.

Last time I tripped there, I hadda buy a phone from an international calling company (Eurobuzz...now Mobal) and buy minutes/texts so that I could make calls if necessary. I still have that phone--which is like an old Nokia, not a smart phone. Of course, last time I went, I also had to buy a road atlas. This time, I can just download the whole of the country to my phone's offline google maps storage :D

I'm actively planning travel in Oct/Nov through UK, Ireland, Iceland, and possibly a few days in Paris and Frankfurt, looking to be 5-6 weeks.

I've done London twice, and still not seen everything I wanted, but this time I would want try to visit Wales and Scotland, ferry over to Belfast, Dublin and Shannon (always want to visit there for some reason), fly to Iceland, drive around the island, fly back to London, Eurostar to Paris, train to Frankfurt, fly home.

There are some very adorable cottages in the Galway area for cheaper than hotel rooms in the US :D
1655221688148.png

I'm actively planning travel in Oct/Nov through UK, Ireland, Iceland, and possibly a few days in Paris and Frankfurt, looking to be 5-6 weeks.

I've done London twice, and still not seen everything I wanted, but this time I would want try to visit Wales and Scotland, ferry over to Belfast, Dublin and Shannon (always want to visit there for some reason), fly to Iceland, drive around the island, fly back to London, Eurostar to Paris, train to Frankfurt, fly home.
Shannon is a very pretty area. We almost stayed there instead of Doolin last time I went.