Turn your shit off...

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chazwozel

Today's Earth Hour. Turn off all your shit at 8:30 pm local time, or a vicious Chazwozel will show up at your door with a baseball bat for your TV and light bulbs.

D

Dusty668

Hell no. Matter of fact, I'm gonna let my heater and AC fight it out.

Take yer greenieganda somewhere else.

Isn't this the hour where we show the earth who is boss? Shouldn't we be cranking that shit up and stabbing the earth so it knows just who runs the show around here?

I conserve every day. The only things that are running while I am not in a room are those on batteries.

Not so much for the Earth as for my wallet haha

C

Chazwozel

I conserve every day. The only things that are running while I am not in a room are those on batteries.

Not so much for the Earth as for my wallet haha
I really don't care if someone does it or not, but I do seriously find it funny that some people are so wired into a grid that they can't just turn it all off for one measly hour.

M

Matt²

working, so can't turn everything off, however, I have gotten into the habit at home of turning everything off instead of say, leaving my computer on all day. So even though I don't agree with the eco-fiends, [sic] I do agree we should recycle and conserve when possible. It just makes sense.

Isn't it more eco-unfriendly to take a flight just to make some kind of stupid point? Granted, not as bad as having a private plane fetch your hemp shirt - yes, I'm looking at you, Mr. Harrelson - but this is just stupid. Of course, our lights /will/ be off since we'll be out, but that's not the point.

To paraphrase Mongomery Burns: Mother Nature started this fight for survival in the first place and now that we are gaining the upper hand she suddenly starts yammering

Not just no, but I might go find me a Prius driver to beat up. :devil:

(hopefully the one who cut me off yesterday and was a complete asshole about it)

A

Andromache

keeping all unused appliances and electronics unplugged, not just turned off, saves me $$. You go on being defiant though.

D

Dusty668

I bought me a lamp with a incandescent light bulb, just for earth hour! I kept the reciept so I can take it back tomorrow using even more gas.

... it's saturday. Saturday NIGHT.

Is anyone else seeing the stupidity of "earth hour" being at a time when half the population is out anyway? Using electricity in bars and pubs and clubs and movie theaters and shit that WON'T turn anything off?

C

Chazwozel

... it's saturday. Saturday NIGHT.

Is anyone else seeing the stupidity of "earth hour" being at a time when half the population is out anyway? Using electricity in bars and pubs and clubs and movie theaters and shit that WON'T turn anything off?

That's the whole point. But whatever. Jeez, you'd think an hour off the grid wouldn't be all that hard for people. I remember several posters who were scratching their heads at anti-intellectualism. Well, guess what, you're being a dumbass redneck.

Tell you what, I'll make you a deal: I'm not going to shut anything off , BUT I will have my sims characters shut everything off.

W

Wasabi Poptart

One night isn't going to make much of a difference, IMO. It's like saying, "I'll ride my bike to work today, but I'll drive my Hummer on the other 349 or so work days." It's the equivalent of a "Hallmark holiday".

One night isn't going to make much of a difference, IMO. It's like saying, "I'll ride my bike to work today, but I'll drive my Hummer on the other 349 or so work days." It's the equivalent of a "Hallmark holiday".
Hey! I'm working on getting myself to similar levels of energy output to Al Gore:

I just need three more giant monitors and a ridiculously large mansion to store them in. See? I'm part of the solution.:awesome:

You realize all this stuff you're turning off, how much *more* power does it have to draw to restart than if it stayed running?

figmentPez

Staff member
You realize all this stuff you're turning off, how much *more* power does it have to draw to restart than if it stayed running?
Lighbulbs, even florescent bulbs, don't use much power turning on. Incandescent bulbs use only a fraction of a seconds worth of power to power on. Florescent bulbs use ~23 seconds worth of power to start up (according to the Mythbusters). Outside of industrial lighting solutions, I doubt there are any lights that take even 1 minute worth of power to start up, let alone an entire hour.

figmentPez

Staff member
How much power the lights would have used if they were left on for that minute. I thought the context conveyed that pretty well.

Ross

Staff member
The lack of environmental responsibility shown in this thread makes me cry. I'm not telling everyone to be environmentalists... just don't be asshats. Most of the "energy hour" stuff is for commercial people, so they can turn of electricity+gas to an empty office building or to unessential lighting outside.

That being said, it's not too hard to watch TV or sit on your computer in the dark for an hour. You don't have to turn everything off, but one or two things would be nice. Just think of it as savings on your energy bill, which just also happens to help the environment.

Here's some numbers collected on Wikipedia through various articles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Hour#Energy_saved

I feel like I went to sleep and woke up in a parallel dimension where Chaz is the socially aware one and everyone else is the asshole.

I'm still not getting laid though, but that might be the common thread in all my parallel selves.

It's been earth hour for thirty minutes here now. I find it funny how many people are posting about it on Facebook. Aren't their computers supposed to be off?

Status
Not open for further replies.