Export thread

Twitter plugin? "Loading tweet" everywhere

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The tweets are there if I click on the loading tweet message to go directly to twitter, but the "loading tweet" is all I'm seeing here tonight. Didn't knowingly change anything on this end.

Dave

Dave

That's usually because of an ad blocker. Check to see if one updated.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

That's usually because of an ad blocker. Check to see if one updated.
It returned to normal about ten minutes later. Go figure.

blotsfan

blotsfan

This is happening to me. I'm on mobile with no Adblock

GasBandit

GasBandit

Still happening? It seems fine to me...

blotsfan

blotsfan

Actually it used to be "loading tweet" which I could click on to open the tweet. Now it's this.

IMG_2076.PNG

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hrmmm... I'm on the road and probably won't be able to look into this until this weekend unfortunately.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It’s been showing “ Loading tweet...” in Firefox for ages, but loads the embed in Safari just fine.
I expect it’s just the usual config/browser/settings/plug-in issue.

—Patrick

blotsfan

blotsfan

Oh yeah, I'm on chrome for iOS.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Was this looked at?

Dave

Dave

Was this looked at?
Hard to look into something you can't replicate.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Hard to look into something you can't replicate.
When I first reported this, it self-corrected minutes later. So there's that.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, I could never get it to happen for me in a situation that wasn't the direct fault of the network I was connected to.

blotsfan

blotsfan

You tried chrome ios? It's fine if you didn't because you don't have an iPhone or can't. I'm just wondering.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You tried chrome ios? It's fine if you didn't because you don't have an iPhone or can't. I'm just wondering.
Yeah, I couldn't try that. No apple devices in my possession.

Simfers

Simfers

Just saw this thread, I'm experiencing the same issue Blotsfan is, I'm on Android and using the Samsung Internet browser.

blotsfan

blotsfan

This magically started working again today.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Now I only get the whitespace with the twitter logo, no tweet. I have to load it in a separate tab to read anything.

PatrThom

PatrThom

This is still most likely the ad and/or script blocker.

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

Yet I have ABP blocked on here, and I undid Ublock Origin because it was reducing some of my NFL emails to nothing...

GasBandit

GasBandit

I undid Ublock Origin because it was reducing some of my NFL emails to nothing...
Reminds me very much of "The fire alarm kept going off so we unplugged it."

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah, there's a lot that'll break when you turn off (or block) some of the scripting. An email can't just be an email any more, now it has to be an interactive, always-online multimedia experience that breaks if you don't allow all the scripts to run/embedded content to load.
Well eff that, I don't need you knowing if/when I ever open your email. If your email can't tell me what I need to know ACTUALLY IN THE EMAIL then I don't need it.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

This is happening to me now and I can't for the life of me figure out what's doing it.

• Ghostery - Turned off for HF.
  • Adblock Plus - HF whitelisted
  • DuckDuckGo - Turned off for HF
  • Privacy Badger - Turned off for HF
  • uBlock Origins - Turned off for HF
Unless there's something now in Chrome directly, I can't figure this out. And in the Chrome settings for security, I have it set to off.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ironically it's happening to me now in firefox but works fine in chrome. Might be because I updated firefox recently but not chrome. I notice there's been a lot of new privacy/tracking cookie blocking stuff added into vanilla browsers, and if there's one thing social media things HATE it is privacy protection.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yep, I just updated chrome to the latest version and BOOM the tweets stopped working.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I updated us to the latest s9e media embed, didn't fix it. Tried disabling all the new firefox privacy stuff. didn't fix it. Lots and lots of other people on various forums have been complaining about this intermittently for years, though... not sure what the deal is.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Of all the...

It's lastpass. The new version of the lastpass addon breaks twitter embeds. I disabled the lastpass addon on my browser and it all started working again.

Dave

Dave

Oh that’s fucking rich. I have 5 privacy and ad blockers working and my password extension is what did it?!?

PatrThom

PatrThom

my password extension is what did it?!?
Yes, and it was for your own good. You need to stop doomscrolling. Also you should get more exercise and eat better.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

And now things are working again and I didn't even restart my browser. I dunno what's going on. Maybe it's because I turned off enhanced fill (which never worked right anyway)?

Dave

Dave

And now things are working again and I didn't even restart my browser. I dunno what's going on. Maybe it's because I turned off enhanced fill (which never worked right anyway)?
Did you do that in the extension settings? I don't see that setting anywhere.

Dave

Dave

Mine started working this morning again and I haven't changed shit.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

So hey, should I stop pressing this big red button labeled "Break Twitter Links on Halforums"?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Did you do that in the extension settings? I don't see that setting anywhere.
My understanding is not everyone has it (they seem to be rolling it out in stages), but if you have it, the option is in your vault (make sure to open it from the browser addon, not by going to the website) and looking here:

1660481170178.png

Under "Advanced Options" below "view deleted items."

But don't worry about it because it's shit and it breaks fill on 90 percent of websites. Usually it tries to fill the wrong website credentials, if it even tries to fill at all.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I avoid this by totally disabling autofill on every device I own.
Go, me.

--Patrick