Export thread

Update: I'm no longer unemployed

Chazwozel

I have this sudden urge to fucking run around the block naked.

I scored a tenure track, bio professor position at a nearby community college starting in the Fall 2010 semester. It's half of what I earned in Philly, but it's a 20 minute train ride and the work (to me) is a lot less stressful. FUCK YEAH! Looking at consulting gigs to hold me over till then, and possibly do it part time in the Fall to make up the salary difference.

Fuck you unemployment office!

fade

fade

Wow, grats. That was a fast app process for a tenure-track position!

Chazwozel

Wow, grats. That was a fast app process for a tenure-track position!

Apparently I was the only PhD to apply for the position, which put me ahead of everyone else (10 people who applied and qualified). I had an interview on Monday, gave a talk on Wednesday; they just called me 30 minutes ago.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Nice rebound. Hope you get a good rep built up there so you can move up to a top flight school/research center.

Timmus

Timmus

Right on man.

Will you just teach or will you get to research too?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Awesome, man. Congratulations.

KCWM

KCWM

+1 on the congrats

Chazwozel

Right on man.

Will you just teach or will you get to research too?

Just teach.

Chippy

Chippy

Wooooo! Congrats!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Nice, congratulations.

Dave

Dave

That's our Chaz! Nicely done young man!

Math242

Math242

heh don't you hate community colleges?

grats on the job

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

You need a tweed jacket immediately. With elbowpads!

Espy

Espy

Congrats!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

You need a tweed jacket immediately. With elbowpads!
Na, those are for English and History profs. He needs a Dr Horrible lab coat.

Hylian

Hylian

congrats :thumbsup:

Cajungal

Cajungal

:thumbsup: Congratulations!

MindDetective

MindDetective

I hope I am so lucky. 18 app packets submitted. 1 phone interview, 1 rejection, 16 more to go and 3 in the outbox still. Job seeking is nerve-wracking.

Wasabi Poptart

Congrats.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Woot, good job man! :thumbsup:

fade

fade

I hope I am so lucky. 18 app packets submitted. 1 phone interview, 1 rejection, 16 more to go and 3 in the outbox still. Job seeking is nerve-wracking.
Same here. I'm employed, but I've been hitting the tenure-track market heavily. The university is tolerable, but I really don't like Louisiana (sorry Vytamindi and CajunGal). I don't like the political atmosphere, the climate, and mostly the lack of things to do. I'm actually disadvantaged, since I'm what the Chronicle of Higher Ed calls a "deflowered Ph.D.". Also, there have been no postings that really fit my qualifications (geophysics). So instead, I've been making plaintive cases to departments with other geology postings in order to convince them that they need a geophysicist.

So, all the more to say congrats to Chazwozel for such a quick response.

Chazwozel

Same here. I'm employed, but I've been hitting the tenure-track market heavily. The university is tolerable, but I really don't like Louisiana (sorry Vytamindi and CajunGal). I don't like the political atmosphere, the climate, and mostly the lack of things to do. I'm actually disadvantaged, since I'm what the Chronicle of Higher Ed calls a "deflowered Ph.D.". Also, there have been no postings that really fit my qualifications (geophysics). So instead, I've been making plaintive cases to departments with other geology postings in order to convince them that they need a geophysicist.

So, all the more to say congrats to Chazwozel for such a quick response.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind, it's a 2 year community college, not Harvard.

HowDroll

HowDroll

ALPHAAAAAAAAAA

Dave

Dave

Chaz at work.

Jake

Jake

Nicely done. I got 40% fired a couple months ago and in no time scored a fairly sweet university consulting gig that made up for it (and even a little extra). Turns out that the projects I'm consulting on are actually damned interesting (mostly new approaches and technology for pathogen monitoring in hospitals) and if more funding comes in, the group will probably bring me on full time. The two-job split is keeping me super-busy, but my productivity is much higher overall.

What's funny is that I never even showed them a resume, I had just chatted with one of the profs over sushi once. I guess they don't need to know I'm not a microbiologist as long as my microbiology experiments keep working.

Deschain

Chadwozel, be THAT PROFESSOR, you know the one who tries to be extra cool to the point of ridiculousness. They'll sing legends of you all the way from here to the Atlantic.

fade

fade

I got my post-doc that way. The prof called me and offered me the job on the first call, and I said yes. I had already said yes to a university in Dublin, but my wife was expecting, and she didn't want to move out of country, so I called Dublin and politely backed out.

Chronos[Ha-G]

Arseome-sauce, man. Glad to hear you've scored yourself some work!

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Hooray! Congrats!

Chazwozel

Nicely done. I got 40% fired a couple months ago and in no time scored a fairly sweet university consulting gig that made up for it (and even a little extra). Turns out that the projects I'm consulting on are actually damned interesting (mostly new approaches and technology for pathogen monitoring in hospitals) and if more funding comes in, the group will probably bring me on full time. The two-job split is keeping me super-busy, but my productivity is much higher overall.

What's funny is that I never even showed them a resume, I had just chatted with one of the profs over sushi once. I guess they don't need to know I'm not a microbiologist as long as my microbiology experiments keep working.

You're back! I missed you, you motherfucker you!

Telephius

Telephius

Grats!

Zappit

Zappit

Figured you bounce back, Chaz. It may not be as much money, but hell, you're going to be earning. Sounds like it's going to be cushy. The biggest headache you'll likely have is advising duties.

Chibibar

woo!! I bet you are glad to have that ph.D with ya :)

rabbitgod

Hey now, let's all not besmirch community colleges. The one I went to was a lot better at certain things than the University. That said, have fun with all the stupid kids! And having to repeat yourself day after day about something you covered day 1. I worked for a CC, not as a professor, but I still taught. It's mind numbing how people can't listen the first 12 times.

Congrats!

LordRavage

Congrats Chaz. Hope it becomes everything you want it to be..:)

Null

Null

Good luck, Chaz.

Don't fuck the students, they frown on that.

Zappit

Zappit

Good luck, Chaz.

Don't fuck the students, they frown on that.
Administration, too.

Kitty Sinatra

Probably your wife even more.

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

Fuck yeah, employment! Congrats!

Chazwozel

I like my penis where it is thanks.

Jake

Jake

fuck the students
Administration, too.
Now get to work!

HoboNinja

HoboNinja

Awesome dude, congratulations!

Chazwozel

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, one of the corporate goons that fired me called me up this morning. They asked if I could come in as a consultant for the another branch. For one second I thought about telling him to fuck off, and then I told him I'd do it. THEY'RE ACTUALLY GOING TO PAY THE PRICE I QUOTED THEM. AHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I'm buying everyone on Halforum a Ferrari.

Math242

Math242

Huzzah !

F430 please

MindDetective

MindDetective

Bahahaha. Go Chaz!

Jake

Jake

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, one of the corporate goons that fired me called me up this morning. They asked if I could come in as a consultant for the another branch. For one second I thought about telling him to fuck off, and then I told him I'd do it. THEY'RE ACTUALLY GOING TO PAY THE PRICE I QUOTED THEM. AHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I'm buying everyone on Halforum a Ferrari.
We call that "stripper money", as in what strippers make per hour. I suppose you could also spend it on strippers, as well.

Jay

Jay

Congratz