Update: I'm no longer unemployed

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chazwozel

I have this sudden urge to fucking run around the block naked.

I scored a tenure track, bio professor position at a nearby community college starting in the Fall 2010 semester. It's half of what I earned in Philly, but it's a 20 minute train ride and the work (to me) is a lot less stressful. FUCK YEAH! Looking at consulting gigs to hold me over till then, and possibly do it part time in the Fall to make up the salary difference.

Fuck you unemployment office!

C

Chazwozel

Wow, grats. That was a fast app process for a tenure-track position!

Apparently I was the only PhD to apply for the position, which put me ahead of everyone else (10 people who applied and qualified). I had an interview on Monday, gave a talk on Wednesday; they just called me 30 minutes ago.

I hope I am so lucky. 18 app packets submitted. 1 phone interview, 1 rejection, 16 more to go and 3 in the outbox still. Job seeking is nerve-wracking.

fade

Staff member
I hope I am so lucky. 18 app packets submitted. 1 phone interview, 1 rejection, 16 more to go and 3 in the outbox still. Job seeking is nerve-wracking.
Same here. I'm employed, but I've been hitting the tenure-track market heavily. The university is tolerable, but I really don't like Louisiana (sorry Vytamindi and CajunGal). I don't like the political atmosphere, the climate, and mostly the lack of things to do. I'm actually disadvantaged, since I'm what the Chronicle of Higher Ed calls a "deflowered Ph.D.". Also, there have been no postings that really fit my qualifications (geophysics). So instead, I've been making plaintive cases to departments with other geology postings in order to convince them that they need a geophysicist.

So, all the more to say congrats to Chazwozel for such a quick response.

C

Chazwozel

Same here. I'm employed, but I've been hitting the tenure-track market heavily. The university is tolerable, but I really don't like Louisiana (sorry Vytamindi and CajunGal). I don't like the political atmosphere, the climate, and mostly the lack of things to do. I'm actually disadvantaged, since I'm what the Chronicle of Higher Ed calls a "deflowered Ph.D.". Also, there have been no postings that really fit my qualifications (geophysics). So instead, I've been making plaintive cases to departments with other geology postings in order to convince them that they need a geophysicist.

So, all the more to say congrats to Chazwozel for such a quick response.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind, it's a 2 year community college, not Harvard.

Nicely done. I got 40% fired a couple months ago and in no time scored a fairly sweet university consulting gig that made up for it (and even a little extra). Turns out that the projects I'm consulting on are actually damned interesting (mostly new approaches and technology for pathogen monitoring in hospitals) and if more funding comes in, the group will probably bring me on full time. The two-job split is keeping me super-busy, but my productivity is much higher overall.

What's funny is that I never even showed them a resume, I had just chatted with one of the profs over sushi once. I guess they don't need to know I'm not a microbiologist as long as my microbiology experiments keep working.

D

Deschain

Chadwozel, be THAT PROFESSOR, you know the one who tries to be extra cool to the point of ridiculousness. They'll sing legends of you all the way from here to the Atlantic.

fade

Staff member
I got my post-doc that way. The prof called me and offered me the job on the first call, and I said yes. I had already said yes to a university in Dublin, but my wife was expecting, and she didn't want to move out of country, so I called Dublin and politely backed out.

C

Chronos[Ha-G]

Arseome-sauce, man. Glad to hear you've scored yourself some work!

C

Chazwozel

Nicely done. I got 40% fired a couple months ago and in no time scored a fairly sweet university consulting gig that made up for it (and even a little extra). Turns out that the projects I'm consulting on are actually damned interesting (mostly new approaches and technology for pathogen monitoring in hospitals) and if more funding comes in, the group will probably bring me on full time. The two-job split is keeping me super-busy, but my productivity is much higher overall.

What's funny is that I never even showed them a resume, I had just chatted with one of the profs over sushi once. I guess they don't need to know I'm not a microbiologist as long as my microbiology experiments keep working.

You're back! I missed you, you motherfucker you!

Zappit

Staff member
Figured you bounce back, Chaz. It may not be as much money, but hell, you're going to be earning. Sounds like it's going to be cushy. The biggest headache you'll likely have is advising duties.

R

rabbitgod

Hey now, let's all not besmirch community colleges. The one I went to was a lot better at certain things than the University. That said, have fun with all the stupid kids! And having to repeat yourself day after day about something you covered day 1. I worked for a CC, not as a professor, but I still taught. It's mind numbing how people can't listen the first 12 times.

Congrats!

L

LordRavage

Congrats Chaz. Hope it becomes everything you want it to be..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.