Vicki Kenedy: Please vote democrate

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chazwozel

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/01/vicki_kennedy_m.html?comments=all#readerComm

The widow of late Senator Edward M. Kennedy makes an impassioned plea for Martha Coakley in an advertisement released today, urging voters to allow the Democrat to complete her husband's unfinished work.
Uh, since when is a Senate seat, "Kennedy's seat". I sure am glad I don't live in Massachusetts cause I'd be a democrate voting republican. It's kind of a shame-less tactic to claim that a Senate seat has a legacy to uphold.

Dave

Staff member
http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/01/vicki_kennedy_m.html?comments=all#readerComm

The widow of late Senator Edward M. Kennedy makes an impassioned plea for Martha Coakley in an advertisement released today, urging voters to allow the Democrat to complete her husband's unfinished work.
Uh, since when is a Senate seat, "Kennedy's seat". I sure am glad I don't live in Massachusetts cause I'd be a democrate voting republican. It's kind of a shame-less tactic to claim that a Senate seat has a legacy to uphold.
I'd much rather the people voted in a Democrat to continue his legislative agenda - which would be likely considering the platform - than a husband or wife of a dead senator taking over the seat. This has happened several times and I've always given myself a huge :facepalm: when it did.

It's the PEOPLE'S seat idiots. Not the KENEDY'S seat.

I love that jack-ass who goes, "You are going to sit in Teddy Kenedy's seat...":facepalm:

Watch out for this guy, even if he doesn't win he's on fire and he's going places.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Uh, since when is a Senate seat, "Kennedy's seat".
He was the most recent candidate elected to that seat, right? That makes it his seat. It's the same terminology used everywhere for everyone from every party, whether it's their first term or their 10th.

Yes that is normally the terminology Grue but it's being used in a different way here. It's being used in in a "how dare you take away what is rightfully X's" which is not in the way you are talking about.

K

Kitty Sinatra

But she's campaigning. Of course she's gonna appeal to emotions. None of this seems like it's "Thank god I don't live in Massachusetts" worthy.

But she's campaigning. Of course she's gonna appeal to emotions. None of this seems like it's "Thank god I don't live in Massachusetts" worthy.
Well, I think thats fine to have that opinion, just like Chaz is glad he doesn't live in what he considers a stupid political climate that has a group of people who feel entitled to the office rather than having to work for it, which according to the lengthy expose on this on NPR yesterday is pretty much the problem for the democrat. They thought they could pick a mediocre candidate and steamroll in because, hey, it's Mass! Republicans are barely in the race let alone in a position to win? Never! So they got caught off guard and honestly I think their entitled attitude is hurting them, possibly bad enough to lose the seat.

Well, I think thats fine to have that opinion, just like Chaz is glad he doesn't live in what he considers a stupid political climate that has a group of people who feel entitled to the office rather than having to work for it, which according to the lengthy expose on this on NPR yesterday is pretty much the problem for the democrat. They thought they could pick a mediocre candidate and steamroll in because, hey, it's Mass! Republicans are barely in the race let alone in a position to win? Never! So they got caught off guard and honestly I think their entitled attitude is hurting them, possibly bad enough to lose the seat.[/QUOTE]
I'm trying to imagine any party thinking "Hey, we should pick a 'meh' candidate to run in the election".

I wasn't there in Massachusetts, but what the NPR analysts said is that the lady who won is not a "strong" candidate, she has a "cold" personality and felt she had little work to do to win the seat so she did very little advertising and very little campaigning and what campaigning she did primarily showed off that "cold" personality. Maybe "meh" isn't right but how about "a poor choice in hindsight when suddenly a charming and rousing candidate on the other side comes along and makes this thing a real fight"?

So I assume the Democrats got their way and repealed the law allowing the governor to pick the replacement?

K

Kitty Sinatra

Those evil Demoncats always get their way. Cause the lazy Republicans are always too busy reopening places of drinkship.

Huh. y'know. I'd vote Republican if it meant being rebeered.

I'm trying to imagine any party thinking "Hey, we should pick a 'meh' candidate to run in the election".
In my life time. Jimmy Carter, Walter Mondale, Dukakis, Bush I, Dole, Bush II, Kerry...[/QUOTE]

Doh, yeah I suppose I could have just done this:
View attachment 247[/QUOTE]
To be fair, we ended up with Kerry (who got the shit smeared out of him- there's a reason they call it swift boating) because Dean, who was in the lead, got lambasted by being excited and screaming out.

C

Chazwozel

Vicky Kennedy has nothing to do with the election other than being the widow of big Ted. She can endorse Coakley all she wants, but it's rather stupid to make claims that the vacant Senate seat was her 'husbands' seat and a democrat has some sort of divine right to it. Brown's campaign is correct in stating and restating that it's the 'people's seat'. The people choose the Senator to be their voice in Congress.

wait, I don't get it. In the clip on the news site she used the same line the republican guy used.

In the 30-second spot titled "With Her," Vicki Kennedy looks straight at the camera and echoes a line Republican Scott Brown used in a debate when he referred to the post held for 47 years by Kennedy as "the people's seat."
So really this just seems like an endorsement for the democratic runner. I'm not sure what all the hub-bub is about.

Brown won. Obamacare is dead. Long live Obamacare.
It is very hard for me to avoid calling anyone names who uses such a stupid word. Move beyond the talking points for a while and actually look at what may be lost here.

So much for even the lousy healthcare reform we were going to get with the bill that was eviscerated by the House and Senate. If you really find this to be a success for anyone, I am sad for you.

It is very hard for me to avoid calling anyone names who uses such a stupid word. Move beyond the talking points for a while and actually look at what may be lost here.

So much for even the lousy healthcare reform we were going to get with the bill that was eviscerated by the House and Senate. If you really find this to be a success for anyone, I am sad for you.[/QUOTE]

Which word is dumb? Brown? won? Obamacare? is? Dead? Long? Live?

Maybe if the health care bill wasn't an absolute nightmare, more people would have supported it?

So much for even the lousy healthcare reform we were going to get with the bill that was eviscerated by the House and Senate. If you really find this to be a success for anyone, I am sad for you.[/QUOTE]

Which word is dumb? Brown? won? Obamacare? is? Dead? Long? Live?

Maybe if the health care bill wasn't an absolute nightmare, more people would have supported it?[/QUOTE]
What, you mean more than the 70 percent of the country that did support it before the moderates decided to turn it into the pile of crap we see now?

You're a smart fella. You know which word is the stupid, biased, totally sad, uninformed word. I don't have to spell it out for you.

S

Soliloquy

Well, it's arguable that the 70% supported it before they knew what was actually in it. Or that the 70% supported it when responding to a poorly-worded poll question. Or, well... any of a number of things.

I think it was ill advised to try to make such sweeping changes all at once. With any legislation, there's bound to be unintended side-effects, and making such a sudden huge overhaul once could have gone horribly awry in ways no one could predict.

And while it does seem there is much in the healthcare industry that needs fixing, I, for one, am glad that I get to choose whether to purchase health insurance or not.

Health care aside, the loss of this seat lies solely on the laps of the democrats. They underestimated the opposition until it was too late. Bravo.

I just hope that if the current health care bill dies, we at least get some good health care reforms passed. It doesn't always need to be all or nothing.

S

Soliloquy

I just hope that if the current health care bill dies, we at least get some good health care reforms passed. It doesn't always need to be all or nothing.
Yeah... they really should do something about the preexisting conditions thing, for one.

Yeah... they really should do something about the preexisting conditions thing, for one.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, there is so much they could do without trying to get universal health care. I know a lot of people want it. It may be the right thing to do, but we're just not there yet. Don't push through crap legislation because you know it won't pass in a years time.

S

Soliloquy

Yeah, they probably could even get a few republicans to vote for a number of individual, specific changes to the health care system.

Well, possibly. If they accidentally pressed the wrong voting button. And didn't feel like fixing it.

I like how everyone is making such a big deal about the filibuster proof majority, which the democrats haven't even used....

Status
Not open for further replies.