Wait What? I'm a Uwe Boll Fan Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I might as well get the noose and head outside, I enjoyed an Uwe Boll film.... alot.

Netflix had "Tunnel Rats" on Instant Watch and I hadn't watched that train wreck yet, so I hit it up and laughed myself silly. It was horridly Uwe. This however, is not a review on Tunnel Rats. What happened after was I wondered if there were any of his other films on Instant Watch (I had already laughed myself stupid a few times with Bloodrayne and House of the Dead) when I saw "Postal" on the que.

I haven't physically laughed at a movie in a long time. Especially when home alone. I tend to find myself laughing with others or in a crowd when watching certain films, but almost never alone. (last time was watching Jim Gaffigan stand up) Postal though, had some very "out loud" laughing moments for me.

Anyway, I recommend it a watch if you have Netflix, it's stupidity brought to film, but in an enjoyable way. The story doesn't make alot of sense and there's alot of nudity (male and female), but it's way way over the top. If Uwe could stick to making films like this, I'd actually go to theatre and pay to see them.

Anyonelse seen this? Thoughts?
Disclaimer: I never played the game but I heard about all the controversy.

L

Le Quack

I feel the same way about his "in the name of the king" movie. Its got so many mediocre-big stars I can't help but laugh my ass off at how bad it is. Its very entertaining.

Jason Statham?
The guy that played Shaggy in Scooby Doo
Burt Reynolds
Ron Pearlman?

Holy Shit it was a funny movie.

P

Pojodan

Basically why people hate Uwe Boll is because he takes a video game, which, as a basic idea, does not translate well to motion picture format, and alters it enough so that is can fit. Thus, everyone that loved the game will feel 'raped' and the hatred just boils over from there.

Taken for its own merits, I'm sure his movies are actually pretty good.

No Pojo, they're not. House of the Dead, Bloodrayne and Tunnel Rats were horrid horrid pieces of cinema. Reason being, they took themselves too seriously.

Postal on the other hand was meant to be a comedy. It did its job.

His movies are stupid but are not nearly the reason I hate him. I hate Uwe because he is a "The Producers"-esque crook.

His movies go beyond stupid. They're not even enjoyable. Hence why I'm so surprised by Postal. It was a good kind of stupid. He even talks about where his finances come from for films IN Postal. :rofl:

Le Quack said:
I feel the same way about his "in the name of the king" movie. Its got so many mediocre-big stars I can't help but laugh my ass off at how bad it is. Its very entertaining.

Jason Statham?
The guy that played Shaggy in Scooby Doo
Burt Reynolds
Ron Pearlman?

Holy Shit it was a funny movie.
Casey Kasem?

Pojodan said:
Basically why people hate Uwe Boll is because he takes a video game, which, as a basic idea, does not translate well to motion picture format, and alters it enough so that is can fit. Thus, everyone that loved the game will feel 'raped' and the hatred just boils over from there.

you have never seen a boll film, have you?

S

Steven Soderburgin

Pojodan said:

No, this is not true at all.

I ain't never played no kinda Dungeon Siege game and the fights in that movie still felt like Power Rangers type shit.

-- Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:20 am --

I started drinking heavily about halfway through Dungeon Siege and by the end I was so drunk that I was basically shouting lines from GoodFellas whenever Ray Liotta appeared on screen.

P

Pojodan

Kissinger said:
Pojodan said:

No, this is not true at all.

I ain't never played no kinda Dungeon Siege game and the fights in that movie still felt like Power Rangers type poop.

-- Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:20 am --

I started drinking heavily about halfway through Dungeon Siege and by the end I was so drunk that I was basically shouting lines from GoodFellas whenever Ray Liotta appeared on screen.
Well, then, watch the movie from the midset of a person that likes Power Rangers :tongue:

Let me make this clear, I grew up in the 80s. If you understand that, you'll understand this.

The Power Rangers movies were better than anything Uwe did until Postal.

Let that sink in if it can.

P

Pojodan

Shegokigo said:
Let me make this clear, I grew up in the 80s. If you understand that, you'll understand this.

Okay fine, I'll drop the Devil's Advocate bit.

FUCK YOU UWE BOLL :slap:

Pojodan said:
Shegokigo said:

Okay fine, I'll drop the Devil's Advocate bit.

FUCK YOU UWE BOLL :slap:
If you were trolling. Good job.

If not, :facepalm:

S

Steven Soderburgin

Pojodan said:
Well, then, watch the movie from the midset of a person that likes Power Rangers :tongue:
I'm sure I'd think they were great if I watched them from the mindset of a retarded eight year old, but that ain't gonna happen

P

Pojodan

Kissinger said:
Pojodan said:
I'm sure I'd think they were great if I watched them from the mindset of a retarded eight year old, but that ain't gonna happen
That's the midset I put myself in when watching any Hollywood movie. It usually saves me a lot of trouble.

R

rvdleun

Postal was very, very and surprisingly good. A few odd parts, but a good laugh.

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Calling his movie a "comedy" doesn't mean that he's a great filmmaker when you laugh at how shitty his movie is.
That's the thing though Charlie. Postal WAS a comedy AND it was funny. :bush:

It's like, the planets aligned in a once in a lifetime way and all you could do is just stare in disbelief as the impossible became possible.

Postal the movie wasn't that bad and this was mostly because it wasn't afraid to cross the lines that Hollywood has been too chicken to cross since years. I love 70s and 80s comedies and it's very obvious to see how much more PC comedies have become these days. It's no surprise that movies like Borat stand out. Postal offended pretty much every group or minority it could:

- fat people
- Muslims
- black people
- Germans (ironically)
- women
- Jews
- Christians
- cops
- cripples
etc.

Some will obviously find it a big pile of offensive crap but to be honest, comedy without crossing any lines is ... well, Will & Grace. Ergo, utterly crap. Well, I lie. It IS possible to make a good comedy without crossing lines but it's a lot harder and frankly, Hollywood ain't got the talent anymore.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Icarus said:
Postal the movie wasn't that bad and this was mostly because it wasn't afraid to cross the lines that Hollywood has been too chicken to cross since years. I love 70s and 80s comedies and it's very obvious to see how much more PC comedies have become these days. It's no surprise that movies like Borat stand out. Postal offended pretty much every group or minority it could:

- fat people
- Muslims
- black people
- Germans (ironically)
- women
- Jews
- Christians
- cops
- cripples
etc.

Some will obviously find it a big pile of offensive crap but to be honest, comedy without crossing any lines is ... well, Will & Grace. Ergo, utterly crap. Well, I lie. It IS possible to make a good comedy without crossing lines but it's a lot harder and frankly, Hollywood ain't got the talent anymore.
That's a canard. The fact that it crosses lines alone does not make it funny or good comedy. For example, Carlos Mencia loved to break taboos. That did not mean that he was funny.

Postal is definitely Uwe Boll's best movie. It approaches being not terrible and has scenes that are a success. I laughed when all the kids got shot in the chest, Dave Foley's penis, and when the black cop explains shooting the old asian lay because she "called me a nigger".

I can admit to laughing at Postal (Dave Foley unsticking his junk from his leg) but I can also admit that nearly the entire last half of the movie bored me to tears.

Kissinger said:
That's a canard. The fact that it crosses lines alone does not make it funny or good comedy. For example, Carlos Mencia loved to break taboos. That did not mean that he was funny.
And where did I say crossing lines automatically makes it funny? But people are getting tired of PC humour and the constant "oh, be careful not to offend anyone" attitude that seems to predominant on TV. Guess what the most popular program in the UK is? It's called Top Gear presented by Jeremy Clarkson, the most un-PC guy you're likely to see on TV. He mocks everyone and people love to hate him for it. Remove that, and Top Gear wouldn't be half as good.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Icarus said:
And where did I say crossing lines automatically makes it funny?
You claim that this virtue alone elevates Postal quite a bit.
Icarus said:
Postal the movie wasn't that bad and this was mostly because it wasn't afraid to cross the lines that Hollywood has been too chicken to cross since years.
I will admit that there is something winning about the "Don't-give-a-fuck" attitude of everyone involved in the movie, but I think you are giving the film far too much credit.

W

WolfOfOdin

>_>

<_<

I'm a MAAAAAASSIVE movie snob...so no.

The only movies I usually watch anymore are the ones Wes Anderson puts out.

Also, if you buy the Darjeeling Lmtd, the beginning has Natalie Portman doing a striptease :p

S

Steven Soderburgin

WolfOfOdin said:
>_>

<_<

Also, if you buy the Darjeeling Lmtd, the beginning has Natalie Portman doing a striptease :p
If you were a movie snob, you'd watch better movies than Wes Anderson's recent efforts. :smug:

W

WolfOfOdin

Kissinger said:
WolfOfOdin said:
>_>

<_<

If you were a movie snob, you'd watch better movies than Wes Anderson's recent efforts. :smug:
Natalie Portman Naked.

I admit The Life Aquatic and Darjeeling were weak.

W

WolfOfOdin

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Now that's just crazy talk. Life Aquatic is his best movie.

You just like watching Bill Murray go ape shit and fighting pirates in a ruined hotel.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Now that's just crazy talk. Life Aquatic is his best movie.
I knew you loved that movie more than it deserved, but this is just crazy talk.

Kissinger said:
Pojodan said:
we shall have to have words you and I. And by words I mean fisticuffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.