Export thread

Want Real Life Portal Shoes/Boots?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

It'll only cost you your legs!

Apparantly this is old news, but I just came across the picture and have never heard of it till now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Pistorius

So he's "cheating" and alot of comittee's want to ban him/strip him of his medals? Honestly I'm not sure how to feel about it. I mean on one hand the prosthetics might be helping "too much" considering all his medals. On the other, he might be working 3x as hard as everyonelse to get that speed.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'd say it's an unfair advantage, but I'd also say he wouldn't be able to compete otherwise. If he was using a normal prosthetic, he wouldn't be able to run at all.

Maybe it's time to start preparing for the inevitable Cyborg Olympics?

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

Those would so totally spring him more...

Chibibar

Those would so totally spring him more...
Agree. The design is made for running. It does give him an extra "omph" in speed. So imagine a top runner getting these they can run even FASTER.

strawman

strawman

Studies have proven that he spends significantly less energy maintaining a given speed than a normal runner would. In other words, he would normally be at the back of the pack, but the artificial limbs place him near the front.

This is not unusual, though - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/21/sports/21swim.html

Lots of "technical aids" are banned from competition. Even knee braces for injury and support have to be approved (and proven to not add advantage).

Let him compete all he wants in the paralympics.

Disallow him from competing in the olympics.

In the same way that many athletes believe you have to use drugs in order to compete, if such devices are allowed, eventually every athlete will have to use them to compete.

Imagine if a front-runner got that 30% energy saving boost, rather than the mediocre runner described in the article? I suspect a lot of athletes, who already destroy their bodies with training and drugs, would be more than happy to give up their lower legs if it guaranteed them a few more golds.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Just don't let them go to your head.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

Thing is, they already have boots/whatever that can do something like that; there's no reason an athlete would even need to cut off their legs to do it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah, this:

Also, for the female side of things, this:

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Also, for the female side of things, this:

--Patrick
First thing I thought of: this would be great for bayonetta cosplay.

Also, as someone currently playing through the new deus ex...this blew my mind.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Also, just found this on Reddit.

Liquid metal shoes harvest massive amounts of power.

I know that people have been looking at backpacks as a potential source, this promises to be even more interesting. Who wouldn't buy shoes that would eventually pay for themselves?

--Patrick

David

David

If instead you had a sort of miniature self-powered cell tower in your shoe that could amplify you're phone's signal...