Export thread

Washington Post Top 22 Webcomics of Decade

Dave

Dave

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/comic-riffs/2010/01/the_best_webcomic_its_time_to.html

They have listed the top 22 (in their eyes) and are allowing people to vote on their favorites. Some I agree with and some make me go "WUH-?!?" Penny Arcade at 2%?

• "Devil's Panties"
    0%
  • "Devin Crane, Comic Strip Ghost-Gagwriter"
    2%
  • "Eric Monster Millikin "
    9%
  • "Girl Genius"
    17%
  • "Girls With Slingshots"
    0%
  • "Hark! A Vagrant"
    1%
  • "Jesus and Mo"
    3%
  • "Kevin and Kell"
    2%
  • "Least I Could Do"
    2%
  • "Navy Bean"
    1%
  • "The New Adventures of Queen Victoria"
    1%
  • "The Order of the Stick"
    9%
  • "Penny Arcade"
    2%
  • "Perry Bible Fellowship"
    1%
  • "Pibgorn"
    1%
  • "PvP"
    0%
  • "Questionable Content"
    5%
  • "Red String"
    2%
  • "Schlock Mercenary"
    20%
  • "Sinfest"
    1%
  • "UserFriendly.Org"
    2%
  • "xkcd"
    9%
Created on Jan 22, 2010
Total Votes: 6,923

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

No Achewood = No Legitimacy

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Meh.

GasBandit

GasBandit

PA readers probably don't often read the Washington Post, I surmise.

Dave

Dave

But readers of Schlock Mercenaries are subscribers?

Iaculus

Schlock's currently highest?

I mean, don't get me wrong, the writer's update shedule is very impressive, but the comic itself isn't hugely spectacular. On the other hand, I suppose it is amongst the closest in style to a newspaper cartoon, so that may score it points.

Also quite surprised Gunnerkrigg didn't make an appearance.

Espy

Espy

Yeah, once the PA readers get a hold of this it won't even be a contest anymore will it?

Philosopher B.

You can see in the comics section that Taylor linked his audience to the poll.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

xkcd = No Legitimacy

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

xkcd = No Legitimacy[/QUOTE]

Zing!

Dave

Dave

Makes sense. I should have thought of that. Internet popularity contests are now dumb as shit.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Makes sense. I should have thought of that. Internet popularity contests [STRIKE]are now[/STRIKE] have always been, and always will be, dumb as shit.[/QUOTE]

fixed for accuracy.

Twitch

I voted Hark! A Vagrant!

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I wasn't gonna say it. My hatred of XKCD is pretty well-known

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

I voted Hark! A Vagrant!
Me too. Although it was close between that and Perry Bible Fellowship.

Twitch

PBF was good and since it was 'over the decade' I considered it despite its not being active. H!AV! really wins out because of my love of History.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

inb4kurtlinksreaderstopolllink

MindDetective

MindDetective

Had to go with OotS but PA would have been second choice.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'd vote for Applegeeks or Sheldon if they were up there. Or User Friendly for last decade.

phil

phil

Yeah, once the PA readers get a hold of this it won't even be a contest anymore will it?

least I could do already linked to it, and so they're up to 15% of the vote. PA is still just at 3

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Ugly Hill was pretty awesome...

blotsfan

blotsfan

I wish they'd have something positive personally.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

least I could do already linked to it, and so they're up to 15% of the vote. PA is still just at 3[/QUOTE]

I do rather find it humorous that PvP is still at a whopping 0% with about 15000 voting so far.

phil

phil

I wish they'd have something positive personally.
PVP is still at 0%, which I think is a positive thing.

"Devil's Panties"
0%
"Devin Crane, Comic Strip Ghost-Gagwriter"
0%
"Eric Monster Millikin "
7%
"Girl Genius"
12%
"Girls With Slingshots"
1%
"Hark! A Vagrant"
1%
"Jesus and Mo"
1%
"Kevin and Kell"
1%
"Least I Could Do"
20%
"Navy Bean"
0%
"The New Adventures of Queen Victoria"
0%
"The Order of the Stick"
7%
"Penny Arcade"
3%
"Perry Bible Fellowship"
1%
"Pibgorn"
0%
"PvP"
0%
"Questionable Content"
10%
"Red String"
1%
"Schlock Mercenary"
11%
"Sinfest"
1%
"UserFriendly.Org"
1%
"xkcd"
10%
Total Votes: 14,468

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

1,446 people fail really hard.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

LICD is forerunner. and Kurtz is still ringing in a great big 0%. For this I is the entertained.

This hurts my head and I'm honestly not sure if it's because of sheer awesome orif it's because I'm just sick enough to be hallucinating.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Hey, Girl Genius is doing pretty damn good for something as racy as it can be at times.

Selgeron

as someone who heard about this through schlock mercenary's website I will admit that I just perused the list and voted directly for girl genius... It just consistantly wows me...

I don't read very many others, on the list but penny arcade and schlock mercenary I considered too. Sinfest if it wasn't getting sort of played out and OOTS if Rich Burlew's update schedual wasn't the worst in all of webcomics, and his personality wasn't Kurtz-lite...

Twitch

Rich Burlew seems like a really nice guy, how is he Kurtz like?

Dave

Dave

I've never heard anything but nice about Rich. Selgeron needs to dish.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

I am so hungry right now.

phil

phil

as someone who heard about this through schlock mercenary's website I will admit that I just perused the list and voted directly for girl genius... It just consistantly wows me...

I don't read very many others, on the list but penny arcade and schlock mercenary I considered too. Sinfest if it wasn't getting sort of played out and OOTS if Rich Burlew's update schedual wasn't the worst in all of webcomics, and his personality wasn't Kurtz-lite...
You don't read Goblins, do you?

:D

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Also doesn't read VG Cats.

Gusto

Gusto

3 of my top 10 webcomics are in that list. 4, if I finally land on how I feel about PVP.

Fail.

wikked

I can't decide. I love both LICD and Questionable Content. If Something positive was up there I would have even more trouble deciding.

Soliloquy

I'm glad to see that Girl Genius is doing pretty strongly in the polls

Hylian

Hylian

I'm glad to see that Girl Genius is doing pretty strongly in the polls

^ this :)

Bowielee

Bowielee

I honestly have never even heard of over half those comics.

Dusty668

Or Dresden Codak.

fade

fade

They forgot Fade.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Mannnn no Achewood? Tsk.

Chazwozel

I wasn't gonna say it. My hatred of XKCD is pretty well-known

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

I voted Hark! A Vagrant!
Me too. Although it was close between that and Perry Bible Fellowship.[/QUOTE]

xkcd is for scientists and engineers not for intraweb movie snobs.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Least I Could Do is way in the lead. So obviously, the readers of this here Washington Post have terrible, terrible taste.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I thought xkcd was for loner internetizens that both want a girlfriend and for math to be hip.

>: D

Gusto

Gusto

I thought xkcd was for loner internetizens that both want a girlfriend and for math to be hip.

What we need more of is science.

Chazwozel

a good majority of scientists and engineers are lonely people who think math is hip...

fade

fade

I thought xkcd was for people who liked funny jokes, and Achewood was for people who liked novels with no punchline.

:p

Chazwozel

I thought xkcd was for people who liked funny jokes, and Achewood was for people who liked novels with no punchline.

This too.

Btw...this sparked me to read some pvp to see what Kurt has been up to. I gotta admit. The Thanksgiving arc with the turkey is friggin hilarious (the credit goes all to the way he drew the turkey)

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Saying "It's not for you" is the laziest argument for why it's okay for something to suck.

Gusto

Gusto

Hey I remember this conversation.

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

fade

fade

Saying "It's not for you" is the laziest argument for why it's okay for something to suck.
Isn't that like asking "Are you still beating your wife?" I mean, you're assuming "suck" is true in the asking. Since when did aiming at a demographic become bad? If you don't know what a Fourier transform is--or better yet, if you don't work with them every single day--you're just plain not going to get why Fourier transforming a cat is hilarious. Don't expect me to laugh at an IRS joke.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Even ignoring whether or not xkcd is funny, back when I enjoyed it, it was extremely hit or miss.It's prone to having these large slumps of not funny. If something is extremely inconsistent, why should it be considered among the best?

As for Achewood having no punchline, that's not a criticism. That's the point. It's a very dry style of comedy.

Gusto

Gusto

Sho 'nuff. Different strokes for different etc. We've certainly had this conversation before.

I happen to like comics with characters in them.

fade

fade

I actually don't think Achewood sucks. I don't think it's very funny, dry or otherwise, and I certainly think the artwork is terrible (which in no way implies a comparison to xkcd's obviously bad art). But then I'm only joking around about comparing the two. I really don't care what people like.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Isn't that like asking "Are you still beating your wife?" I mean, you're assuming "suck" is true in the asking. Since when did aiming at a demographic become bad? If you don't know what a Fourier transform is--or better yet, if you don't work with them every single day--you're just plain not going to get why Fourier transforming a cat is hilarious. Don't expect me to laugh at an IRS joke.[/QUOTE]

I phrased that wrong. laziest argument for why it doesn't matter if I don't like it.

Espy

Espy

I do not feel that this argument is for me. Rest assured, if it was, I would tear into it so fast... but alas, it's not.

MindDetective

MindDetective

What we need more of is science.[/QUOTE]

I wholeheartedly agree, even if you aren't wholeheartedly endorsing.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Or Dresden Codak.[/QUOTE]

I give Dresden Codak a pass since that guy's comics are lush tapestries.

Gusto

Gusto

AND ANOTHER THING.

"Top 22"? What the fuck?

phil

phil

Top 10 is for pussies! They gave you double that, and then took pity on you and gave you two more.

That or the guy who made the poll just happened to have 22 on his bookmarks.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

That or the guy who made the poll just happened to have 22 on his bookmarks.
The guy has gotten 22 recommendations for what webcomics he should be reading, so he decided to go to the voting public to decide what to read first.

Gusto

Gusto

Should I read this webcomic or wait for a better one?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Now is the time for Kurtz to strike. He needs to go to his message board, so he can rally the support of his fans to vote his webcomic the most popular of the bunch. And end up getting new readers from that dying relic of a past age.

Oh wait, yeah...

Dave

Dave

Scott's last Tweet:

I want all PvP votes to go to Penny-Arcade. http://bit.ly/V65zZ (via @cwgabriel)

I think he knew he wasn't going to win.

ElJuski

ElJuski

YOURE NOT A PUNCHLINE

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

But yeah, if anyone is honesty up at arms about this...well...bully, sir. It's like getting pissed at your niece for liking Chowder.

Dave

Dave

But yeah, if anyone is honesty up at arms about this...well...bully, sir. It's like getting pissed at your niece for liking Chowder.
Chowdah!

fade

fade

YOURE NOT A PUNCHLINE

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

But yeah, if anyone is honesty up at arms about this...well...bully, sir. It's like getting pissed at your niece for liking Chowder.[/QUOTE]

Egg, were you the little fat boy?

Kitty Sinatra

Chowdah![/QUOTE]

Fucking Simpsons.

Espy

Espy

LOL, just looked at PA's site:

By Gabe:

I would like to win this
Tuesday, January 26 2010 - 10:06 AM
by: Gabe
with a link to the pole.

And they surged ahead to the top of the pack.

Kitty Sinatra

That's probably the Scott Kurtz factor.

Espy

Espy

Oh yeah, of course.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Least I Could Do is way in the lead. So obviously, the readers of this here Washington Post have terrible, terrible taste.
No, just you.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Well, Penny Arcade fans got wind of the poll and have made a massive come from behind to surpass LICD adding literally 20000 votes or so to the total in the last couple of hours.

Like it wasn't inevitable.

Shego said:
No, just you.
no u

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Yet that's exactly the defense all Achewood fans use. It's crap, I think it's crap and your only argument is "it's not for you then".

Kitty Sinatra

Frankie, do you have espy foed?

Espy

Espy

If he's wise then, yes.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

No, I must've missed those posts by just hitting the new post thingy and it taking me to the last page. My mistake.

Kitty Sinatra

It's really funny now that I noticed you got on Mav for the same thing in the STO thread. :p

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

I am surprised at how well PBF is doing in the poll.

And finding it funny that the number of people voting for PA and LICD and xkcd drove nearly every other comic down to 0% of the vote.

15,194 of that voting population is retarded.

wikked

Everyone has thier own tastes when it comes to webcomics. Personally, I think PA kind of sux. I read it for a while, but I just can't bring myself to keep looking at it.
LICD is my favourite, due to the fact the characters are well fleshed out and they update when they say they are going to update. I can always count on a LICD update no matter what may be going on.

Philosopher B.

I voted for Hark a Vagrant 'cause it makes me laugh and 'cause I figured PA would get enough votes. Really, though, PA has been very awesome for a very long time. I quote PA strips like on a daily basis.
'I am the king of no pants!'
I honestly have never even heard of over half those comics.
Lol, yeah, seriously, WTF is Devin Crane. Hell, I clicked the link, and I'm still not sure.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

It's really funny now that I noticed you got on Mav for the same thing in the STO thread. :p
I'm aware of the hypocrisy.

ElJuski

ElJuski

YOURE NOT A PUNCHLINE

But yeah, if anyone is honesty up at arms about this...well...bully, sir. It's like getting pissed at your niece for liking Chowder.[/QUOTE]

Egg, were you the little fat boy?[/QUOTE]

this confuses me

fade

fade

I was quoting One Crazy Summer, where Bobcat Goldthwait (Egg) tells one of those stories about this little fat kid who got beaten up, to which Ack Ack replies "Egg, were you the little fat boy?"

(Egg looks like he's going to come clean for a moment, then says, "NO! But I used to beat the shit out of him! Why you so fat?! Why you so ugly?!")

So.... it was a round about way of asking if you were the guy who got pissed at his niece.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Ohhhhhh...totally missed that.

Nah, man. I love watching Chowder with the gal. Now, Scooby-Doo movies on the other hand *shakes fist*

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

I think 4chan decided to get behind PBF

Soliloquy

Wait... 4chan has good taste?

:confused:

Chazwozel

:confused:[/QUOTE]

PBF IS the best webcomic. It's so good, that despite not having any new comics for like 3 years, people still love it.

Oh and PA only doesn't suck for those rare moments when I actually get the joke since I could really give a shit about the gaming industry (other than playing the majorly good releases).

figmentPez

figmentPez

Scott's last Tweet:

I want all PvP votes to go to Penny-Arcade. http://bit.ly/V65zZ (via @cwgabriel)

Kurtz-baww!
"Someone is totally using a script to inflate votes on that Washington Post poll. You can refresh the page and watch the votes jump up."

Wuh?! People are voting in an online poll? They must be cheating!

ElJuski

ElJuski

PBF IS the best webcomic. It's so good, that despite not having any new comics for like 3 years, people still love it.

Oh and PA only doesn't suck for those rare moments when I actually get the joke since I could really give a shit about the gaming industry (other than playing the majorly good releases).[/QUOTE]

still think it's totally achewood...

Iaculus

Scott's last Tweet:

Kurtz-baww!
"Someone is totally using a script to inflate votes on that Washington Post poll. You can refresh the page and watch the votes jump up."

Wuh?! People are voting in an online poll? They must be cheating![/QUOTE]

That fast? I think it's pretty much beyond argument that there's some pro-PBF scripting going on.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Oh and PA only doesn't suck for those rare moments when I actually get the joke since I could really give a shit about the gaming industry (other than playing the majorly good releases).[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, you could probably count on one hand the amount of comics PBF did that were actually bad. That guy put out gold 98% of the time.