Well, Lady Gaga just lost a few fans. UPDATE: No she didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://alyankovic.wordpress.com/the-gaga-saga/

I was really hoping that this blog entry would be all about me announcing the release date of my new album.

Sadly, it’s not.

In a metaphorical nutshell, here’s what happened.

I wrote and recorded what I thought was going to be the first single off of my new album: a parody of “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga called “Perform This Way.” But after hearing it, Lady Gaga decided not to give me permission to release the song, so… it won’t be coming out commercially anytime in the near future. Sorry.

Okay, now the long version.
Its not that she said "no". Prince has nixed all parody ideas shown to him and I still love his music. Its that she required him to actually record the song before she would give a definite answer. So screw her.

I wasn't born this way, I DARE to be stupid.

That's rough. I don't mind the song itself, although I liked it better when Madonna sang it as "Express Yourself". :awesome:

Lame move on Gaga's part, and I'm not sure why she needed it recorded once she had the lyrics....

That said, not as quite as fucking awesome as "White and Nerdy"

1) OH thank god weird al is still alive and doing stuff.

2) If someone were going to parody my work I'd want to at least be given a listen too, before signing any release or anything.

D

Disconnected

Could be a he said/ she said thing but as a long, long.... yes that long, time fan of Al. Al Wins. And the HRC loses.
and Gaga has new PR to do.

It's not even a big deal saying no. Lots of artists puss out of Weird Al mocking them like Eminem or Paul McCartney (about the lamest issue possible). The problem is is that she required him to submit the finished version of it and on top of that, any sales and such the song would have garnered was being donated to the Human Rights Council and she still said no.

She was pretty shitty about it.

figmentPez

Staff member
2) If someone were going to parody my work I'd want to at least be given a listen too, before signing any release or anything.
Why would you actually have to hear the final version? If you've got the lyrics, you know your own song, and you can hear the artist's previous parodies, then what more do you need to know what the song is going to be like?

Indeed. But then, he could've picked another song of hers to parody, one that didn't sound like the most generic song making the rounds right now.

It is fair use, but after the thing with Coolio over Amish Paradise, he doesn't want to upset others in the music business.

From his blog:

Plus, I was really kinda predisposed not to do a Lady Gaga parody anyway because, well, that’s what everybody in the universe was already assuming I would do, and I hate to be so predictable.
I'll admit to having thought that at least three times this month. "I wonder when Weird Al is gonna parody Lady Gaga?"

J

Jiarn

Lady Gaga purposely parody's the music industry as it is. Very obviously too. To parody a parody seems redundant.

Gaga is a parody of the dance music and fashion scenes from the 80's anyway... it would be like dividing by zero.
Added at: 22:53
NINJA

I have a feeling the manager was like that guy Nostalgia Critic talked to when he was trying to get his review of The Room to stay online. "Nooooo you cannot insult his genius!"

Y'know, on Facebook I'd mentioned that I was holding out hope with was a "Gary Larson and Jane Goodall" level screw up. Haha! Instinct.

That said, the cynic in me wonders if this wasn't either a publicity stunt (which hardly seems Weird Al's style but I wouldn't put passed Lady Gaga) or a case of Lady Gaga reversing her position in light of criticism and using a willing scapegoat to save face. I choose to take the facts as presented to preserve my enjoyment of both artists but you gotta wonder.

Considering that the song is very pro-gaga, I can believe that the explanation presented is true, and that she did in fact like the song.

See, as a fan of Lady Gaga, I choose to interpret events as presented. Especially since, even in the original telling of the story, Weird Al made it clear that all communications were going through her manager and that no correspondence was sent from Lady Gaga herself. Similar things (Gary Larson and Jane Goodall, Weird Al and Coolio) and stranger things (one of Prince's staffers presenting him with a script he had written as though it was the one the writers of The Simpsons sent over) have happened in the entertainment biz.

I say this as a very, VERY big fan of Al's.

It's a pretty boring parody of a pretty crappy song. In fact the parody of it only reveals how mediocre the song really is.

I say this as a very, VERY big fan of Al's.

It's a pretty boring parody of a pretty crappy song. In fact the parody of it only reveals how mediocre the song really is.
Indeed, but as an excuse to do a video parodying the video--that video is going to be epic.

EDIT: Eh, listened again and I changed my mind. I think the lyrics are funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.