Export thread

What Grades Did You Get?

JONJONAUG

Well, most Fall semesters are over now. So for all you college students out there, what grades did you get?

Mine:

Game Mod Development - A (this was actually my hardest class, but it was also the most interesting one so it was the only one I put any actual effort into)
Foundations of Computer Science I - B
History of Medicine - B
Computers and Society - B+ (a very, VERY shitty ethics course)
Database System Design and Management - B

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my performance. I think I could've pushed out a B+ in my B classes with a bit of extra effort, but overall I feel that I did good this semester.

Krisken

Krisken

Hell if I know. It takes forever for my teachers to post the grades, even though they are supposed to post each graded assignment no later than one week after the due date. I have shit since September not graded.

Fucking slackers.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

GF still waiting on her grades too. I know she passed em all though.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I won't have my grades until January 6th.

I'm going to go ahead and predict them though

English-80%
Life Drawing-80%
Classical and Stop Motion Animation- (I have no clue as this teacher has not given me any marks at all throughout the year and I don't know how harshly he marks, but I'll say...) 73%, assuming he marks as harsh as I suspect.
3D Animation- (Again I've not received any feedback yet) 90%
Storyboarding- 95%, but if anyone in my group film has any problems with me this could take a hit.
Layout- 90%

Generally a B is the lowest mark I get (lifedrawing), and I usually turn it into an A by the end of the second semester at the cost of droping a + from the end of one of my other marks. This year looks to be different though, as either I've really improved, or my awesome lifedrawing teacher is an easy marker. So I've got high hopes.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Geology lab--A

Education Block 1: 9 hours of English/Language training and service learning projects:
A, A, and A.

:D

/smartiepants

Kitty Sinatra

/smartiepants
I know I've done this joke. A couple times. But a smart gal who can cook? Marry me!

Cajungal

Cajungal

/smartiepants
I know I've done this joke. A couple times. But a smart gal who can cook? Marry me![/QUOTE]

Oh, but gruebeard. I am a Cajun. And you are a .... sentient cat. It would never work. I can't imagine our families would get along. The only thing that unites us is our mutual love of seafood.

:drama:

Wasabi Poptart

I dropped to part-time after having the baby, so this block I only had one math course. I won't know my final grade for at least a week. Considering my average so far for the class is a 98% I'll venture to say I'm getting an A (unless I completely fucked up then I might get a B).

Kitty Sinatra

/smartiepants
I know I've done this joke. A couple times. But a smart gal who can cook? Marry me![/QUOTE]

Oh, but gruebeard. I am a Cajun. And you are a .... sentient cat. It would never work. I can't imagine our families would get along. The only thing that unites us is our mutual love of seafood.

:drama:[/QUOTE]

lol

er, *purrrr*

Deschain

So far B+ in Quantitative Chemistry lab. It's supposedly the hardest lab course, which no one bothered to tell me before I took it. I raged so hard while I was in it. There was no communication between the TA's and professors (they hated each other as well), there was poor planning in labs, material was pretty much non-existent and policies made no such sense. It was a clusterfuck.

Cajungal

Cajungal

:thumbsup: Way to go on the B if it was that hard.

Heavan

I'm the only person I know who works for C's, and if I get a B or an A I cut back my work to try and equalize to a C.

It helps that I'm dropping out after this year because a History degree was a dumb idea anyway. Anyway, I'm guessing... C's.

Terrik

Terrik

I know what grades I'm *giving*. Some korean students of mine are going to be ruing the day they turned in their notebooks late.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I'm so jealous. I've never gotten to make someone rue the day.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I know what grades I'm *giving*. Some korean students of mine are going to be ruing the day they turned in their notebooks late.
SeriousJay?

Troll

Troll

I'm so jealous. I've never gotten to make someone rue the day.
It's fun. I got to dole out some punishment via grades as well. It's easy to give someone a failing grade when you know they deserve every bit of it. I had some kids give me attitude all semester, never do their work/study, and one even skipped my final. Well, now they get to spend their summer taking the class over while I'm on vacation.

:twisted:

HoboNinja

HoboNinja

Philosophy: C
Western Civ 2: C
Psychology: A
Programming in Alice(EZ MODE): A

I should have done better in Western Civ, History has always been a strong point of mine but I was lazy on both the midterm and the final and didn't write anywhere near the required length for the essay questions.

Koko

Senior in HS,
AP English Literature - 97%
AP Physics 75%
Government 100%
Ceramics 95%

(which evens out to a straight 4.0)

Bowielee

Bowielee

Our grades aren't posted until 01/01/10, but with the exception of one class, we had online percentage grading, so as near as I can tell-
Intro to Psychology- A (this is the one that's not really for sure because the teacher doesn't believe in using the online portion of the course website)
Intro to Economics- A- (92%)
Written communications- A+ (98%)

Roxxoredizorz

Physics - 60
English - 68
Social - 78
Game Design - 95

I should try harder.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Eh.

Data Structures & Discrete Math II - B
Intelligent Systems (Honors) - B
Information Management - B
Software Engineering II - A
Professional & Technical Writing - A

Kinda irks me that two of those Bs (same teacher too) are an 88 and an 89. She smiled u_u

Enresshou

Enresshou

PCR and DNA Sequencing/Fragment Analysis: A-
Immunology: A-
Biochemistry: A
Independent Research (lab presentations on my individual research and whatnot): A
English: A

I've been trying to work on my GPA for graduate school admissions, and--considering PCR was one of the toughest classes I've taken taught by one of the toughest (but my personal favorite) professor at the school--I think I've done pretty well :)

Wahad

Wahad

I'll only have my grades come february, as I still have to do all my exams (they're in january)

They'll probably all be C/B's though. Presuming I keep the average up.

HowDroll

HowDroll

Still waiting on mine, but I'm pretty sure I fucked over my 4.0 this semester. The last few weeks, I have been entirely unable to make myself give a shit about school, and then I screwed up the due date for my (senior capstone!) term paper and turned it in 24 hours late. I'm probably fucked.

Kitty Sinatra

I'm probably fucked.
Luckily the workforce doesn't care about your grades, so you're only fucked while you're in school. And seeing as you're a senior, you won't be there for long.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Life - B-

HowDroll

HowDroll

I'm probably fucked.
Luckily the workforce doesn't care about your grades, so you're only fucked while you're in school. And seeing as you're a senior, you won't be there for long.[/QUOTE]

Until I try to get into a PhD program :(

Math242

Math242

dayum, i wish grades here were given like in the US.

here at Uni, when you have 70% average, you're damn good. only a few people get 80+ and maybe 1 or 2 90% and then again, not every year.

Chazwozel

PCR and DNA Sequencing/Fragment Analysis: A-
Immunology: A-
Biochemistry: A
Independent Research (lab presentations on my individual research and whatnot): A
English: A

I've been trying to work on my GPA for graduate school admissions, and--considering PCR was one of the toughest classes I've taken taught by one of the toughest (but my personal favorite) professor at the school--I think I've done pretty well :)

They have a class on PCR alone? You kids are so dumb. Seriously though, this was a lab course right? You can cover everything you possibly need to for PCR in like two weeks time. But grats on Immunology. I fucking hated that garbage in college.

Espy

Espy

I'm probably fucked.
Luckily the workforce doesn't care about your grades, so you're only fucked while you're in school. And seeing as you're a senior, you won't be there for long.[/QUOTE]

Until I try to get into a PhD program :([/QUOTE]

I know people who have gotten into PhD programs without perfect grades. I wouldn't go nuts about not being perfect quite yet.

Also: I haven't finished my grading yet but I'm pretty sure I got a nice bellcurve for my students. Couple of girls who made zero effort are probably going to fail. Stupid freshman.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I'm probably fucked.
Luckily the workforce doesn't care about your grades, so you're only fucked while you're in school. And seeing as you're a senior, you won't be there for long.[/quote]

Until I try to get into a PhD program :([/quote]

I know people who have gotten into PhD programs without perfect grades. I wouldn't go nuts about not being perfect quite yet.

Also: I haven't finished my grading yet but I'm pretty sure I got a nice bellcurve for my students. Couple of girls who made zero effort are probably going to fail. Stupid freshman.[/QUOTE]

Effort (or misplaced effort) is the number one reason students do poorly in my classes. *sigh* Still, I'm just giving myself a B- this semester. I never quite connected with the students which really made it feel like I was playing tug o' war with them to get them learn this semester.

Espy

Espy

I had a great semester. The kids have been put in a ton of effort and I've seen them grow a ton, but there are those few that just refused any help given them.

After I try once or twice... *shrug*, nothing else I can do.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I had a great semester. The kids have been put in a ton of effort and I've seen them grow a ton, but there are those few that just refused any help given them.

Yup. Some students seem to just think they are there to have knowledge poured into their head. Instead, it is more like a trough. You can lead a student to knowledge...

Espy

Espy

Yup. Some students seem to just think they are there to have knowledge poured into their head. Instead, it is more like a trough. You can lead a student to knowledge...[/QUOTE]

Honestly, there was a group of them that I just don't know how they made it through high school. They terrified me in ways I didn't know I could be terrified.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Yup. Some students seem to just think they are there to have knowledge poured into their head. Instead, it is more like a trough. You can lead a student to knowledge...[/quote]

Honestly, there was a group of them that I just don't know how they made it through high school. They terrified me in ways I didn't know I could be terrified.[/QUOTE]

Even more terrifying: You get used to, and even expect, this very thing.

Espy

Espy

Yup. Some students seem to just think they are there to have knowledge poured into their head. Instead, it is more like a trough. You can lead a student to knowledge...[/quote]

Honestly, there was a group of them that I just don't know how they made it through high school. They terrified me in ways I didn't know I could be terrified.[/QUOTE]

Even more terrifying: You get used to, and even expect, this very thing.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I've heard... :(

Jay

Jay

SeriousJay?[/QUOTE]

Christmas came early this year.

:peace:

Bowielee

Bowielee

Honestly, there was a group of them that I just don't know how they made it through high school. They terrified me in ways I didn't know I could be terrified.[/quote]

Even more terrifying: You get used to, and even expect, this very thing.[/quote]

Thats what I've heard... :([/quote]

Being a second time around student, people like this piss me off to no end.

Edit: I mean the students, not the teachers.

Odie

Biology 1- B

Shannow

Shannow

I got a paycheck. I guess that is like a grade, saying I am doing well enough to earn pay and continue to work earning said pay.

HowDroll

HowDroll

Ohgodohgodohgod.

Victorian Literature - A
History and Structure of the English Language - A
Senior Capstone - B
Creative writing - Non-Attendance Fail (!!!!!!!)

Apparently my fucking college lost the paperwork I submitted last October to withdraw from one of my classes, and my teacher had no choice but to submit an F for my grade. I'm going to be making an appeal to the Dean, but I'm royally screwed if they don't take care of this for me.

Merry fucking Christmas.

Philosopher B.

^ Jesus, that sucks.

I haven't gotten my grades yet. I'm pretty sure they'll all be A's and B's, except for Sound Com, whose mammoth tests I procrastinated on studying for. I'm hoping against hope that I'm-a get a C on that one. If not ... urgh.

Jay

Jay

Ohgodohgodohgod.

Victorian Literature - A
Senior Capstone - B

Apparently my fucking college lost the paperwork I submitted last October to withdraw from one of my classes, and my teacher had no choice but to submit an F for my grade. I'm going to be making an appeal to the Dean, but I'm royally screwed if they don't take care of this for me.

Merry fucking Christmas.
Did you get a copy of the confirmation? And... they still fucken use paper to track shit? Holy crap, it's all web-based here! This sucks balls.

Chazwozel

Ohgodohgodohgod.

Victorian Literature - A
Senior Capstone - B

Merry fucking Christmas.

Holy fucking shit, you're living one of my most re-occuring nightmares in undergrad: Dreaming that you just found out you've had a course on your schedule that you never attended.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Holy fucking shit, you're living one of my most re-occuring nightmares in undergrad: Dreaming that you just found out you've had a course on your schedule that you never attended.
Sweet mercy. I did that very thing this semester. It was a journal club class, and I presented, but I didn't go to any of the in-class meetings to discuss the paper after it was presented.

I was checking my grades last week and saw that class listed and I almost shat myself. It was a jacked up semester, but I still don't see I how I could forget that I was enrolled in another course. The prof was really cool about it. He just told me that he knew I was doing good work in the lab and I usually asked questions during the presentations and seminars. Lucky.

HowDroll, physically go to every office you can find and talk to people face to face if you can. Hope it works out.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Ohgodohgodohgod.

Victorian Literature - A
Senior Capstone - B

Merry fucking Christmas.
Did you get a copy of the confirmation? And... they still fucken use paper to track shit? Holy crap, it's all web-based here! This sucks balls.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I can't believe they're still using paper. All my adds/drops are done via the campus website.

Good luck getting that straightened out HowDroll, that sucks majorly.

Jay

Jay

I mean in a week we're talking about 2010. At my University (which I've gone back to to finish my degree with 1-2 night courses every semester over the years) we've been able to do all of this shit off their website since late 2004. This is deplorable. I really wouldn't take this kind of shit that they fucked up on their paperwork.

(PS: I finished my degree in MIS, just checked my account and since I started attended Concordia University in 2004 and finished last spring I paid a total of $3137 Canadian including all the books I ordered or bought off the site's 2nd hand book store.)

Lolz

Bubble181

Bubble181

dayum, i wish grades here were given like in the US.

here at Uni, when you have 70% average, you're damn good. only a few people get 80+ and maybe 1 or 2 90% and then again, not every year.
Pfft. I had 79% for my first Masters and 86% for my second. Those other people are just lazy :-P

Krisken

Krisken

2 B's and 2 C's from the look of it. Oh, and one grade I have no idea, but I bet either a B or A.

I hate coding medical conditions.

Philosopher B.

Okay, so three of my grades at least have been posted. B+ in Television Industry, A- in Television History & Appreciation, and an A in Media Aesthetics: Sound, Sight, and Story.

Mr. Lawface

3 A's, 2 A-'s, and a B+.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

US Foreign Policy Seminar: A
Modern European History Seminar: A-
Spanish 101: A

Bowielee

Bowielee

We got our official grades posted. I'm proud to announce that I finished out my first semester back in college with a 4.0 GPA.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Well, lets see how my predictions faired.
My predictions:
English-80%
Life Drawing-80%
Classical and Stop Motion Animation- (I have no clue as this teacher has not given me any marks at all throughout the year and I don't know how harshly he marks, but I'll say...) 73%, assuming he marks as harsh as I suspect.
3D Animation- (Again I've not received any feedback yet) 90%
Storyboarding- 95%, but if anyone in my group film has any problems with me this could take a hit.
Layout- 90%

Actual:
English B+ (that's 75-79%, so I overestimated)
Life Drawing A (Probably got that one dead on)
Clasical and StopMo A (I'm shocked. This means my classical animation teacher is not a very hard marker, cause I'm pretty sure I averaged only 65-70% in stop mo)
3D B (Again a shocker. Apparently my 3D teacher IS a hard marker despite his extremely laid back attitude)
Storyboarding A
Layout A+

So I over and under estimated every mark, I was all over the place.

Program Cumulative GPA 3.89 Program Term GPA 3.79

fade

fade

You guys have no idea (except for the other teachers) how hard it is to come up with final grades. That shit's like 50% subjective. Sure, you get a number at the top of your papers, and there's a grade scale on your syllabus. But the curve is killer to figure out. It can't punish the top earners who really worked for the grade, but it can't leave the class average in the 50s either. In the end, there's actually a good deal of "how the professor feels you did" in the grade.

One of my best friends when I was a post-doc and adjunct in Boston was an old emeritus professor who gave me his enlightened view on grades. "They're just numbers. If the kid made the points for a B, but you feel he deserves an A, give him an A." It's especially true for grad classes, where a C is basically a failing grade, and you expect most students to make an A. Yet, point-wise, they always seem to fall in the 50s and 60s for what I think are easy tests.

RealBigNuke

Back in high school, as soon as I got my syllabus I'd go through and calculate exactly how much work I needed to do to get an 81-85%(allowing for my average test scores on the subject), and do no more work than that. I learned too late that I could actually get a 4.0 by doing that in AP classes, and got a 3.4 weight/3.6 nonweighted GPA.

Right now I'm in community college and loafing through taking classes that sound interesting rather than actually progressing my major. I can't really resolve whether I'm a terrible student or a great one.

Economics: A-
Early Western History: B
History: B-
Design: Vectors: A+