Export thread

What I discovered today.

GasBandit

GasBandit

If you have somebody on the phone who wants you to take down their number but you don't give a shit, so you decide to "pretend" to write down the number... it's very hard to pull it off convincingly without actually going through the motions of pretending to write with your hands, even though it's not as if the person on the phone can see you.

I always thought it was just me, but I just found out other people in the building do the same thing.

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

Hey, I do that too. I also nod my head on the phone, while agreeing or affirming something.

Wasabi Poptart

I just repeat the numbers back. It is convincing enough.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I find if I don't move my fingers, I don't even remember the numbers long enough to repeat them back.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Me too.

Chibibar

I write down the number anyways and "accidentally" lose it.

Dave

Dave

I open Notepad and enter the numbers there in case they ask. Then I close without saving.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I've said this a couple times "I'm not here right now, can I take a message?"

If you do it really smooth, they never even notice ;)

Null

Null

I too mime writing it down with my pen. When I don't, they can tell I didn't write it down.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

This is why I let everything go to voicemail unless I recognize the number as someone I want to talk to.

GasBandit

GasBandit

This is why I let everything go to voicemail unless I recognize the number as someone I want to talk to.
Can't do that at work. I have to talk to all kinds of people who I don't want to talk to.

Gusto

Gusto

I don't like phones.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm quick enough that I can repeat the number back to them almost as quickly as they give it to me. This is usually enough. Sometimes they will even comment, "Oh, you already knew it?"

--Patrick