Export thread

What were those tiny hockey sticks?

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't know if this is a phenomenon unique to only my childhood, but at the elementary school I attended, they kept a copious supply of plastic hockey sticks on hand that saw most of their use in the gymnasium at after-school supervision. They had white shafts and red or blue heads, and mostly they were pretty much what you'd expect.

Except each "team" got one wierd one. No, this was not a big thick goalie stick, it was, if anything, the opposite. The handle was the same, but the head was this tiny, gently curved pointed plantain-looking thing maybe 2/3rds or 3/4ths the length of a normal stick's head... and because naturally there were more kids than sticks, two poor saps always got stuck with the "little" sticks. God, did they suck for playing hockey in the gym.

Does anybody know what the heck was up with the tiny, curved, skinny-banana hockey sticks? What the heck are they? What are they used for?

Dave

Dave

...No...?

fade

fade

Are you talking about a jai alai xistera?
Added at: 18:57

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I have no idea. Personally I disliked the bandy/ice hockey sticks we had back in elementary school, essentially cheap sticks that were likely already a decade old when we got to them. I especially hated getting one of those with a really bent blade; made it frickin' hard to get a good backhand going, or to scoop the ball/puck from a good tussle.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I remember the ones you are talking about!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Are you talking about a jai alai xistera?
Added at: 18:57
No, these didn't have any sort of relation to a lacrosse stick or cup or anything like that... it was a little 5 or 6 inch long, 1 or so inch tall, maybe centimeter thick curved piece of plastic that sort of came to a point like a banana, or one of those really fine paintbrushes.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Sounds like either a field hockey stick or most likely a safety stick used by children that is designed not to scuff the floors.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Sounds like you're describing a "field hockey" stick...the regular hockey sticks are for ice hockey, but we used them in the gym anyway.
Seems odd that there would be exactly one for each side though. Ah well.

GasBandit

GasBandit

No, the curve was much much gentler in that axis, and also it curved forward like a normal ice hockey stick does. The head also was longer and skinnier. It really looked like a depleted, skinny plantain on the end of a stick.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I know exactly what you mean. We played with those in middle school PE. I loved em.

Made Ya Blush

Made Ya Blush

I feel old now. :p I remember using them in my elementary school gym class.