Export thread

What's your trope?

fade

fade

From tvtropes, is there a trope that describes you well? I ask, because I found mine:

The Snark Knight - Television Tropes & Idioms

What's yours?

Null

Null

Fun Size

Fun Size

Deadpan Snarker. If you're aware of my presence at all, I'm sure you're stunned by this development.

makare

From tvtropes, is there a trope that describes you well? I ask, because I found mine:

What's yours?

what exactly about that describes you fade?

fade

fade

What's yours?

what exactly about that describes you fade?[/QUOTE]

My head just exploded, because everyone here complain about me doing pretty much everything in that article. Not to mention it's almost a transcription of what I wrote in the flame wars thread.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Big Fun - I tend to think myself as chubby and jovial, maybe with a dash of Stern Teacher on the side. I'm also working my way into becoming a Cool Teacher.

fade

fade

Honestly, makare, I really don't know (or care) what rubbed you the wrong way. If you want to know what I act like in real life, it doesn't get much more accurate than Georgia Lass. And I'm taking my licks saying that, because I find her a little irritating.

makare

What's yours?

what exactly about that describes you fade?[/QUOTE]

My head just exploded, because everyone here complain about me doing pretty much everything in that article. Not to mention it's almost a transcription of what I wrote in the flame wars thread.[/QUOTE]

The only response I have to this would have to actually go in the flame wars thread so ill probably just refrain. Well except for this here part where I explain why I am refraining from responding which I suppose is in itself a response.

Welcome to makare's paradox.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I narrowed it down to two.

Card Carrying Punch Clock Villain. I'm only evil professionally. But I do enjoy my work.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Gentle Giant which is the sub-catagory of The Big Guy .

fade

fade

I could swear you've got me confused with someone else here. I showed this whole flame wars thing to my wife just now, and her response was, "Wait. You showed emotion? This is your happy face :| , this is your sad face :| , and this is your angry face :| "

makare

Maybe she should join the forum.

fade

fade

I still think it's merely a matter of a lack of internet intonation. I think of all people might be surprised that most of what I say would come out dry and flat. I think you're reading it with something that just really just isn't there. Like the Nikita thing. You seem to have this vision that I was all bent out of shape, when in reality, that was more like, "Gee. Really." Maybe I don't use enough smileys. I don't even know why I'm investing so much energy in this other than that I don't particularly care to be misinterpreted.

==

I showed her the Nikita thing. Her response: weren't you just being sarcastic? She knows how I meant it because she knows me.

Disconnected

what the fuck is going on in here. what's a trope? is it a thing people do now? must i identify with a trope to be validated now?

makare

I still think it's merely a matter of a lack of internet intonation. I think of all people might be surprised that most of what I say would come out dry and flat. I think you're reading it with something that just really just isn't there. Like the Nikita thing. You seem to have this vision that I was all bent out of shape, when in reality, that was more like, "Gee. Really." Maybe I don't use enough smileys. I don't even know why I'm investing so much energy in this other than that I don't particularly care to be misinterpreted.

==

I showed her the Nikita thing. Her response: weren't you just being sarcastic? She knows how I meant it because she knows me.
I never had a problem with your Nikita post. It was your valley girl response to baer that got me.

GasBandit

GasBandit

what the fuck is going on in here. what's a trope? is it a thing people do now? must i identify with a trope to be validated now?
A trope is a shorthand description for something that is a very common occurrance. So, instead of saying "you know, that thing where all the movies are getting grittier and harder these days because it's the cool thing to do" you can just say "Darker and Edgier" (or GrimDark, as it was formerly known) and we'll know what you're talking about and you'll get bonus points for talking about contemporary culture in an in-crowd way.

Adam

Adammon

Cajungal

Cajungal

I know what they are, but I'm not gonna.... too lazy to go through all that stuff. If anyone's got gobs of time on their hands they can pick one for me. :p

General Specific

General Specific

Dull Surprise! (for me, not you CG)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Well, to quote TV Tropes...

Tropes are devices and conventions that a writer can reasonably rely on as being present in the audience members' minds and expectations. On the whole, tropes are not clichés. The word clichéd means "stereotyped and trite." In other words, dull and uninteresting. We are not looking for dull and uninteresting entries. We are here to recognize tropes and play with them, not to make fun of them.
As for my trope... I'd wager it falls between Knight in Sour Armor and Good is Not Nice.

Cajungal

Cajungal

*scans through some tropes*

This website is dull. I give up! *runs off to play*

makare

*scans through some tropes*

This website is dull. I give up! *runs off to play*
thank you.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Well, really, if you want us to think you're cool, here's a guide.

Disclaimer: YMMV

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Mostly Cowardly Lion with a bit of Sad Clown on bad days, and on good days, Fun Personified.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Wahad

Wahad

In the company of some of my friends, I am the Straight Man. Otherwise, I guess I am the Nice Guy, or maybe the Generic Guy.

fade

fade

==

I never had a problem with your Nikita post. It was your valley girl response to baer that got me.[/QUOTE]

That response is what I'm talking about. You've managed to read it in a really, really odd way that is totally different than the way I said it. That's the one I showed my wife. I'm not sure where you getting what you're calling valley girl, because it certainly isn't in there.

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

The response to baer should've been read no more than. Nooooo, gee, really? That's what that's called? I mean he basically told me "that blue thing above us is called 'sky'", so I said, "wow, gee willikers. I'm pretty sure that's what I've been calling it" totally flat affect, totally Steven Wright.

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

Sorry everyone else. Don't mean to drag this thread into this. My fault. Carry on with the tropes.

Dave

Dave

I have no idea. There are so many I refuse to look through them all for that one little one that describes a single part of my personality.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

I have no idea. There are so many I refuse to look through them all for that one little one that describes a single part of my personality.
Grumpy Old Man

makare

Some of us are our own tropes. We should make a character trope section of the wiki.

Disconnected

A trope is a shorthand description for something that is a very common occurrance. So, instead of saying "you know, that thing where all the movies are getting grittier and harder these days because it's the cool thing to do" you can just say "Darker and Edgier" (or GrimDark, as it was formerly known) and we'll know what you're talking about and you'll get bonus points for talking about contemporary culture in an in-crowd way.[/QUOTE]

Ah. Vastly different than my definition of trope, which to me coresponds with music or linguistic meaning. I wonder how it became used for this.
So when I described movies that copy the look of seven as "brown and scotchtape-y" I was being in-crowdy? I need better marketing.

Krisken

Krisken

Wish I had time to read through all that. Honestly, I can't imagine trying to pigeon hole myself into a t.v. trope.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The best way to find a trope that suits "you," is to think about a common theme in movies and TV. Like, say you're the screech of your particular bayside high. So, you go to TVTropes and look up "Saved by the bell" and look through the tropes that make up that show, and find that there's a trope that applies to Screech in particular: The Urkel. Self explanatory, that one, really.

The Urkel is a young teenage nerd (almost Always Male), who dresses and behaves very awkwardly. Unlike nerds in real life (or nerds who star in their shows) he is completely oblivious to his nerdly nature, and a Leisure Suit Larry who goes after girls without any fear of rejection. In fact, he doesn't take "no" for an answer. Usually serves as the stooge to the main character.
If I'm not careful, I can lose hours on that website, looking up a show, following the tropes in it to other shows that use a common trope, then following more tropes, and on, and on, and on.

It caters to the part of some of us that has an obsessively compulsive need to classify and categorize every aspect of everything in our lives.

Gusto

Gusto

Null

Null

The best way to find a trope that suits "you," is to think about a common theme in movies and TV. Like, say you're the screech of your particular bayside high. So, you go to TVTropes and look up "Saved by the bell" and look through the tropes that make up that show, and find that there's a trope that applies to Screech in particular: The Urkel. Self explanatory, that one, really.

The Urkel is a young teenage nerd (almost Always Male), who dresses and behaves very awkwardly. Unlike nerds in real life (or nerds who star in their shows) he is completely oblivious to his nerdly nature, and a Leisure Suit Larry who goes after girls without any fear of rejection. In fact, he doesn't take "no" for an answer. Usually serves as the stooge to the main character.
If I'm not careful, I can lose hours on that website, looking up a show, following the tropes in it to other shows that use a common trope, then following more tropes, and on, and on, and on.

It caters to the part of some of us that has an obsessively compulsive need to classify and categorize every aspect of everything in our lives.
Dear god this.