When do you ref stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

makare

I was eating some rotisserie chicken yesterday and as I was cutting it I said "chickayn gud" ala Leeloo from Fifth Element. Every time I eat chicken I make that reference.

So I was wondering what times do you guys consistently ref something?

Some things my brothers and I always say:
(I usually say these at least once a month..)
"Imatoot you exarctly" - Simpsons
"Not today!" -buzz lightyear : toy story 1
"Her?" -Arrested Development
"Do it, Doug!" -mallrats
That part in night at the roxbury where they keep going "PFFT. PSSH. PSSH. PSH. PFFT. PFT." ..I do that lots.

I quote so many things.. I'll come up with more tomorrow.. bedtime :awesome:

With my friends and brother I use quotes from the Simpsons and a comedy show called "Alguna pregunta més?" ALL THE TIME.
And they do too, of course.

With my brother I also occasionally quote Recess.

I was eating some rotisserie chicken yesterday and as I was cutting it I said "chickayn gud" ala Leeloo from Fifth Element. Every time I eat chicken I make that reference.

So I was wondering what times do you guys consistently ref something?

HA! I do the same exact thing!

Dave

Staff member
Every time someone says the word "debris" I have to yell it out. Damn you, Twister!

I of course quote television sows incessantly, but there are at least three rap songs that I recite all the time whenever someone "starts them".

For example if someone tells me they're taking their time, I will typically add "to perfect the beat, but you still got a love for the street...?"

I quote the shit out of Goofy Movie

When they're at the possum park and the big possum guy goes up to max and says "You're so saaaaad! BOO HOO HOO!"

I usually say that one when my brother is failing at video games :awesome:

I have been known to use the following repeatedly;

"Odds bobs hammer and tongs!"
"You'll have to speak up I'm wearing a towel."
"Dumped like Dido!"
"Snip snap snout this tales told out."
"Allons-y!"

"The winner will be showered with glory; the loser will be taunted and booed until my throat is sore! Fight fight fight fight!"

When I see a white horse. "We need a Miracle!"

If a team you don't like kicks a field goal, "Laces out Dan!" - it worked during the Super Bowl.

When ever some one is rolling for change to buy something... "SOMEBODY BETTER GO BACK AND GET A SHIT-LOAD OF DIMES!"

M

makare

I'll sometimes catch myself doing the Ace Ventura "Reeeeheeeheeeally?!"
Lol!
Every time we eat at this one restaurant that is decorated with a bunch of taxidermied animals I always say "what a lovely room of death"

I frequently quote The Simpsons, Austin Powers, Office Space, Monty Python and Anchorman in conversation. If the person I am conversing with hasn't seen any of that, it leads to some awkward conversations and explanations.

M

makare

Yeah whipping out "shall we shag now or shag later?" might get weird.... or awesome.

Whenever I joke about something being bad or getting overwhelmed, I start talking about "human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"

I've also been known to jokingly say, "Victory is mine, victory is mine! Great day in the morning people, victory is mine!" or "I drink from the keg of glory. Bring me the finest muffins and bagels in all the land!"

I should note that referencing things in-context, in-character, while playing Dungeons and Dragons is the greatest feeling in the world.

I have a horrible memory, so I almost never make references. I also rarely get them when others make them.

I should note that referencing things in-context, in-character, while playing Dungeons and Dragons is the greatest feeling in the world.
Like this one time, my dragonborn accidentally set a pile of textiles on fire while fighting stowaways in the cargo hold of a ship. We put it out, but when the captain came downstairs, I didn't even wait to be questioned before I said, "We didn't start the fire. It was always burning, since the ship's been sailing."

My new dog's name is Lukas. Whenever I call him it usually goes like this.

"Lukas! Luke! Luke!

...I'm shutting the power down!"

We quote Airplane and Ghostbusters constantly and every time my wife makes the mistake of asking what my plans are "The same thing we do every night, Pinky - try to take over the world!".

J

Jiarn

"How does that feel baby?" - In the low tone from Austin Powers everytime I hear "lower".
"Big Badda Boom" - Fifth Element, explosions in general.
"Inconcievable" - Princess Bride. All the time, even out of context.
"Thank you kindly" - Bioshock, usually when thanking someone.

A bit of Princess Bride, a bit of Monty Python ("C'est un cadeau." "Un quoi?" "A geeft." "Oh."), occasional snippets from Star Wars, Fifth Element (some fantastic one-liners in there.)

Another couple references come from our department's K-9 sergeant, who gives hilarious classes, and is renowned for his joking hatred of this job. Such references include names for J. Random Suspect (aka "Skippy the WonderThug), and a statement uttered to one such subject who was just the recipient of a COLOSSAL ass-whupping ("Just keep thinking happy thoughts, brother. Just lay there and think happy thoughts.") The man is hilarious.

There are no specific times. Most of the time the reference is made for my own amusement (and to the chagrin to those who have no idea what I'm talking about). Sometimes, the more obscure the reference, the better.

figmentPez

Staff member
My sisters and I reference the strangest things. The biggest, all time, classic with us is just a family in joke. It stems from one of our cousins being a picky eater, but to this day we all crack up laughing when someone says "Can you eat green noodles?"

As to more pop-culture stuff:
"Yes, Doug can read." - The Cutting Edge
"Get cranky. With Frosting." - Mulan II

Most of our references are more involved than just quotes, though. We're kind of long winded as a family, so our references are usually more examined comparisons, than just quippy one-liners.

Status
Not open for further replies.