Export thread

When do you ref stuff

makare

I was eating some rotisserie chicken yesterday and as I was cutting it I said "chickayn gud" ala Leeloo from Fifth Element. Every time I eat chicken I make that reference.

So I was wondering what times do you guys consistently ref something?

blotsfan

blotsfan

Whenever anyone says "Surely"...

PatrThom

PatrThom

Geez, man. I even reference old commercials (looks like I'm not the only one, too). There are so many opportunities.

--Patrick

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

From a more contemporary source, Avatar: The Abridged Series:

"Yes? No? Maybe? Lobster?"

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Some things my brothers and I always say:
(I usually say these at least once a month..)
"Imatoot you exarctly" - Simpsons
"Not today!" -buzz lightyear : toy story 1
"Her?" -Arrested Development
"Do it, Doug!" -mallrats
That part in night at the roxbury where they keep going "PFFT. PSSH. PSSH. PSH. PFFT. PFT." ..I do that lots.

I quote so many things.. I'll come up with more tomorrow.. bedtime :awesome:

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

With my friends and brother I use quotes from the Simpsons and a comedy show called "Alguna pregunta més?" ALL THE TIME.
And they do too, of course.

With my brother I also occasionally quote Recess.

MindDetective

MindDetective

My wife and I quote Futurama constantly.

Terrik

Terrik

Nobody gets my damn references here.

Mathias

Mathias

I was eating some rotisserie chicken yesterday and as I was cutting it I said "chickayn gud" ala Leeloo from Fifth Element. Every time I eat chicken I make that reference.

So I was wondering what times do you guys consistently ref something?

HA! I do the same exact thing!

Dave

Dave

Every time someone says the word "debris" I have to yell it out. Damn you, Twister!

Gusto

Gusto

I of course quote television sows incessantly, but there are at least three rap songs that I recite all the time whenever someone "starts them".

For example if someone tells me they're taking their time, I will typically add "to perfect the beat, but you still got a love for the street...?"

makare

Oh I also tend to hum the Indiana Jones theme while driving.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Also, Princess Bride.

"Inconceivable!"

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I quote the shit out of Goofy Movie

When they're at the possum park and the big possum guy goes up to max and says "You're so saaaaad! BOO HOO HOO!"

I usually say that one when my brother is failing at video games :awesome:

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I have been known to use the following repeatedly;

"Odds bobs hammer and tongs!"
"You'll have to speak up I'm wearing a towel."
"Dumped like Dido!"
"Snip snap snout this tales told out."
"Allons-y!"

Mathias

Mathias

"The winner will be showered with glory; the loser will be taunted and booed until my throat is sore! Fight fight fight fight!"

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

When I see a white horse. "We need a Miracle!"

If a team you don't like kicks a field goal, "Laces out Dan!" - it worked during the Super Bowl.

When ever some one is rolling for change to buy something... "SOMEBODY BETTER GO BACK AND GET A SHIT-LOAD OF DIMES!"

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I'll sometimes catch myself doing the Ace Ventura "Reeeeheeeheeeally?!"

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I use quotes from Batman all the time.

Hey <insert name here>! Think about the future!

makare

I'll sometimes catch myself doing the Ace Ventura "Reeeeheeeheeeally?!"
Lol!
Every time we eat at this one restaurant that is decorated with a bunch of taxidermied animals I always say "what a lovely room of death"

Piotyr

Piotyr

I frequently quote The Simpsons, Austin Powers, Office Space, Monty Python and Anchorman in conversation. If the person I am conversing with hasn't seen any of that, it leads to some awkward conversations and explanations.

makare

Yeah whipping out "shall we shag now or shag later?" might get weird.... or awesome.

Tress

Tress

Whenever I joke about something being bad or getting overwhelmed, I start talking about "human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"

I've also been known to jokingly say, "Victory is mine, victory is mine! Great day in the morning people, victory is mine!" or "I drink from the keg of glory. Bring me the finest muffins and bagels in all the land!"

Gusto

Gusto

I should note that referencing things in-context, in-character, while playing Dungeons and Dragons is the greatest feeling in the world.

Shakey

Shakey

I have a horrible memory, so I almost never make references. I also rarely get them when others make them.

Gusto

Gusto

I should note that referencing things in-context, in-character, while playing Dungeons and Dragons is the greatest feeling in the world.
Like this one time, my dragonborn accidentally set a pile of textiles on fire while fighting stowaways in the cargo hold of a ship. We put it out, but when the captain came downstairs, I didn't even wait to be questioned before I said, "We didn't start the fire. It was always burning, since the ship's been sailing."

Chippy

Chippy

My new dog's name is Lukas. Whenever I call him it usually goes like this.

"Lukas! Luke! Luke!

...I'm shutting the power down!"

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I picked a bad day to quit sniffing glue.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I reference things all the time. Especially during D&D games.

"DON'T YOU TALK TO ME ABOUT GRAMMAR"

Neon Pirate

Neon Pirate

We quote Airplane and Ghostbusters constantly and every time my wife makes the mistake of asking what my plans are "The same thing we do every night, Pinky - try to take over the world!".

Jiarn

"How does that feel baby?" - In the low tone from Austin Powers everytime I hear "lower".
"Big Badda Boom" - Fifth Element, explosions in general.
"Inconcievable" - Princess Bride. All the time, even out of context.
"Thank you kindly" - Bioshock, usually when thanking someone.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

"The winner will be showered with glory; the loser will be taunted and booed until my throat is sore! Fight fight fight fight!"
I do this one too... complete with flicking the light switch on and off repeatedly.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

A bit of Princess Bride, a bit of Monty Python ("C'est un cadeau." "Un quoi?" "A geeft." "Oh."), occasional snippets from Star Wars, Fifth Element (some fantastic one-liners in there.)

Another couple references come from our department's K-9 sergeant, who gives hilarious classes, and is renowned for his joking hatred of this job. Such references include names for J. Random Suspect (aka "Skippy the WonderThug), and a statement uttered to one such subject who was just the recipient of a COLOSSAL ass-whupping ("Just keep thinking happy thoughts, brother. Just lay there and think happy thoughts.") The man is hilarious.

Krisken

Krisken

There are no specific times. Most of the time the reference is made for my own amusement (and to the chagrin to those who have no idea what I'm talking about). Sometimes, the more obscure the reference, the better.

figmentPez

figmentPez

My sisters and I reference the strangest things. The biggest, all time, classic with us is just a family in joke. It stems from one of our cousins being a picky eater, but to this day we all crack up laughing when someone says "Can you eat green noodles?"

As to more pop-culture stuff:
"Yes, Doug can read." - The Cutting Edge
"Get cranky. With Frosting." - Mulan II

Most of our references are more involved than just quotes, though. We're kind of long winded as a family, so our references are usually more examined comparisons, than just quippy one-liners.

General Specific

General Specific

When D&Ding (yes, bitches, I just verbed that) with my friends, we constantly trade quips from various things. Most notably from Mystery Science Theater 3000. Such as when someone has a big damn hero moment we usually break out into "We put our faith into BLAST HARDCHEESE!"

bhamv3

bhamv3

It doesn't happen very often, but whenever someone says, "This is madness..."

Jiarn

It doesn't happen very often, but whenever someone says, "This is madness..."

David

David

At my sister's house, we often quote the Simpsons' "It's just a little _____, it's still good! It's still good!"

I probably do more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Also Simpsons - "You can't win friends with saaal-ad! You can't win friends with saaal-ad!"

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Also Simpsons - "You can't win friends with saaal-ad! You can't win friends with saaal-ad!"
I love that one, in the spain spanish translation. ("No conquistas nada con una ensalada")

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Whenever I get a pint of beer, or donate a pint of blood, I ask if it comes in pints. Also, whenever I'm preparing potatoes for dinner and somebody asks what we're having, I'll respond with "POH-TAY-TOES. Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew."

Emrys

Emrys

Monty Python, MST3K and/or Rifftrax, The Princess Bride, Animaniacs, Lord of the Rings, The Simpsons.
Usually at work, which causes people to look at me like I have three heads, and usually accomplishes my goal of getting them the hell out of my office.

Chibibar

seriously?? seriously!!

~Kim Possible

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I also find myself saying something to the effect of:
"__________ is the devil, Bobby Boucher!"

Philosopher B.

The minute I fucking hear a helicopter, I must stop and proclaim (to whoever is around at the time) that it says 'Ingen' on the side of that chopper, whereupon I will express surprise and dismay, verbally questioning why on earth Hammond would send two teams.

I could mention other instances in which I quote the Jurassic Park movies, but I would basically be at this keyboard all day.

For example if someone tells me they're taking their time, I will typically add "to perfect the beat, but you still got a love for the street...?"
When someone mentions time around me, I invariably inform them that time is a gift, given to them for the time they need to have the time of their lives.

I'm actually sort of insane when it comes to referencing things. Having grown up homeschooled and watching the same random and obscure movies (especially 30s and 40s films) as my brothers and sisters, over the years we've developed a quote-riddled way of communicating that mostly only we get.

For instance, if I say to my younger brother in a certain tone, 'Who is he?' he will immediately respond, 'Oh, I don't know, just a common tramp!' I mean, that is pretty random even for a quote from The Inspector General (1949).

figmentPez

figmentPez

Heh, I just remembered a pair of long-running references my friend and I had. Back in high school we were in a musical together (The Emperor's New Clothes) and rehearsal led to some funny flubs. One came about when someone said their line with the entirely wrong inflection. "I'm an orphan, too" was supposed to be said in a sympathetic way, but it came out as a hostile snarl. After that the entire cast would bust out that line whenever they were upset about something.

The second came about because my friend and I were bored and decided to read our already memorized lines backwards. From then on we said "Idea an have I, Ha ah!" any time either of us thought of something.