When will Star Wars get its reboot?

When will Star Wars(OT) get a reboot?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Star Trek had its reboot a mere ~40 years after the original series. When will we see an actual actor playing Luke Skywalker? Or someone doing a terrible Han Solo impersonation? And Chewbacca replaced with CGI? Darth Vader and Luke having an insane, epic lightsaber fight over all of Cloud City? I don't think the prequels count as a reboot, as successful as they were (financially).

What do you think the prequels were? It meant a huge new line of toys, games, books and comics for Lucas to further make piles of money off his cash cow.

I don't think Lucas is ever going to release the reigns on this particular cash cow. And I would only consider it a reboot if he were not involved AND we have live actors playing in the roles. With that being the case, I think he'll have to pass before someone can redeem that franchise.

T

Twitch

I wouldn't be terribly bothered by a live action reboot as long as it stayed close to the original.

L

Lally

ThatNickGuy said:
What do you think the prequels were?
Prequels.

To me, there's a difference between a continuation of a story, and making a brand new movie from the same story. Besides, the prequels came about before this "reboot" fad became popular (as far as I can remember, anyway, anyone can feel free to provide examples to prove me wrong).

That's true, but in a lot of ways, a prequel is a resussitation to a franchise, too. They're kind of part of the same fad. For example, Star Trek fits in as both a prequel (in that it's seeing the characters before the timeline of the original series) and a reboot.

I don't see Star Wars getting a reboot in the near future. It is a viable property to tell other stories from with in the set Galaxy. There may be a trilogy of what happens in the future after the fall of the Empire or other events in the rise of the Republic.

I doubt we will see 18 year old Luke Skywalker blow up the Death Star in our life time. The movie holds up rather well even after all these years.

Then again, they COULD do a series of movies with the Knights of the Old Republic timeline.

L

Lally

ThatNickGuy said:
That's true, but in a lot of ways, a prequel is a resussitation to a franchise, too. They're kind of part of the same fad. For example, Star Trek fits in as both a prequel (in that it's seeing the characters before the timeline of the original series) and a reboot.
I haven't seen Star Trek (either the movie or much of the series), but if that's true, then I (a stickler for semantics) am a little upset that they're calling it a reboot, unless they have disregarded important parts of the continuity.

Lally said:
ThatNickGuy said:
I haven't seen Star Trek (either the movie or much of the series), but if that's true, then I (a stickler for semantics) am a little upset that they're calling it a reboot, unless they have disregarded important parts of the continuity.
The star trek movie is very much a reboot. Go see it, and you'll understand. I believe they did a great job, and am interested to see what they do with the 'new' universe...

-Adam

It's basically a reboot using original Star Trek continuity. It's...quite clever the way it was done.

L

Lally

Well, like I said, I'm not a big Trekkie... I can count on one hand the number of episodes I've seen, and that's across all the series. So, I dunno if I'd really enjoy it or not.

It won't happen until 40 years after Lucas kicks the bucket. Isn't that how long it takes for intellectual property to revert to public domain?

Lally said:
Well, like I said, I'm not a big Trekkie... I can count on one hand the number of episodes I've seen, and that's across all the series. So, I dunno if I'd really enjoy it or not.
Star Trek (2009) was the first full episode/movie or anything I ever saw named Star Trek at all, and I loved it. All the in-joke references and such were already part of the nerd zeitgeist and I just went with it and loved it. After I saw it, I have since checked out TOS on netflix, and they're pretty goofy and fun to watch.

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Lally said:
Star Trek (2009) was the first full episode/movie or anything I ever saw named Star Trek at all, and I loved it. All the in-joke references and such were already part of the nerd zeitgeist and I just went with it and loved it. After I saw it, I have since checked out TOS on netflix, and they're pretty goofy and fun to watch.
I've seen a fair amount of Trek, and I was really impressed that when they worked references in, they weren't done in a way that would make you feel left out. I might be wrong, but I felt like if you didn't get the reference, you wouldn't know that you hadn't gotten it. I'm sure there were things I didn't get as I'm hardly hardcore about it.

I don't like that Lucas keeps bottling himself in with the two Star Wars TV projects. The cartoon is lodged between 2 and 3, and live action will be between 3 and 4. He should have gone early or late in the 'canon' and not get bogged down setting up movies we have already seen.

sixpackshaker said:
I don't like that Lucas keeps bottling himself in with the two Star Wars TV projects. The cartoon is lodged between 2 and 3, and live action will be between 3 and 4. He should have gone early or late in the 'canon' and not get bogged down setting up movies we have already seen.
People like to learn more about characters they already know about. If you want to make mad money (and Lucas does) then you want to sell the things that your audience most craves before selling them stuff they might like, but have little experience with.

-Adam

Zappit

Staff member
I can't see a reboot happening. Lucas is getting series out of those little periods of time he didn't directly address in the movies - Clone Wars - for example. He'll fill every minute until he's run out of ideas.

G

GeneralOrder24

AshburnerX said:
ThatNickGuy said:
Then again, they COULD do a series of movies with the Knights of the Old Republic timeline.
Yeah, but that would make TOO MUCH GOD DAMN SENSE!
The world needs more HK-47.

AshburnerX said:
ThatNickGuy said:
Also it wouldn't make him as much money, because he'd have to pay the original writer royalties.

You can bet your sweet bippy he's staying as far away from stuff that's not original to him as possible.

-Adam

J

JCM

Meh.

Unlike Star Trek, Star Wars has a canon expanded Universe, and has no need for a reboot. If you need SW, get a book or comic, otherwise, move on and try the many other great sci-fi series avaliable (my suggestion, Battlestar Galatica and Caprica)

GeneralOrder24 said:
AshburnerX said:
ThatNickGuy said:
The world needs more HK-47.
HK-47 is in Star Wars Galaxies. Yes, he somehow survived 10,000 years and made it to the time of the New Republic. He is NOT happy.

A

Alucard

You know what instead of focusing on the main protagonists why not look in the star wars universe from a troopers perspective
ala Halo style. You could focus on the Clone Wars era not from the British tea time gun ho clone troopers, but something grittier
and more desparate. I could see either Bay or Abrams having a hand in directing this although I would give the reign to Abrams.

But with Bay you would have a lot more shit happen with all the ensuing chaos at the height of the Clone Wars. Fantastic space
battles and down and dirty chaotic ground battles.

Or if you want focus on the events on the timeline when the Vong attack. Sighh I wish someone would do a Republic Commando 2

BlackCat said:
Or if you want focus on the events on the timeline when the Vong attack. Sighh I wish someone would do a Republic Commando 2
This. Except, if I could pitch one game with a guarantee that it would get made, it would be pretty much exactly like Republic Commando, except from a Stormtrooper perspective, set somewhere between Yavin and Endor, but not involved in the main movie storyline at all.

If I had to flex a little bit, I can see how playing as the bad guy might not be sellable, so maybe the squad might defect to the Rebels at some point near the end. I'd rather it be a game about the Empire's troopers, and the men and women who believe in the Empire, and hate the Rebel terrorists that are running amok in the galaxy, but ... whatever.

AshburnerX said:
ThatNickGuy said:
I really wished they had gone this route instead of the prequels. It could have still been a story about a fallen Jedi, but w/o any of the characters that we know. I don't want to see a young Yoda running around.

I don't think they'll reboot the OT for a long time. I'd say more than 10 years from now.

drawn_inward said:
AshburnerX said:
ThatNickGuy said:
I really wished they had gone this route instead of the prequels. It could have still been a story about a fallen Jedi, but w/o any of the characters that we know. I don't want to see a young Yoda running around.

I don't think they'll reboot the OT for a long time. I'd say more than 10 years from now.
If they reboot anything, they need to reboot both of them. I'm not saying that the Original Trillogy needs rebooting, but there is a bit of a disconnect between the Prequels and the OT.

That being said, the Star Wars universe is so strict for continuity ... any reboot would have to be simultaneously exactly the same and totally different from the originals, and I don't know if I trust anyone to strike a balance. I'd like to see Dash Rendar in Echo Base. I don't want to see him engage in plot-affecting dialogue with the leads.

All this talk has inspired me to start watching The Empire Strikes Back again.

It's not that I had forgotten that Han Solo is awesome. It's just nice to be able to empirically confirm it again.

A

Alucard

utter crap more like shit crap

i wish they would leave bioware to just develop their star wars games for them they have a much better job handeling them
excluding obsidian's lame attempt at the utter crap that was kotor 2

i'm wondering how mass effect 2 will turn out now since ea's grubby fingers will be all over it

A

Aisaku

I fear Lucas is just waiting for the moment 3d's advanced enough that getting the original actors' appearance is just a matter of getting their signatures on paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.