Export thread

Where am I?

TommiR

TommiR

This is a quiz kind of thread game. The basic idea is that somebody posts a picture of a famous building, landmark, site, or whatever, maybe gives a couple of clues as to what it is, and then others try to identify what it is that's in the picture. The person who gets it right gets to post the next picture.

I'll start things off.

Hint: it is located in a city that is famous for it's mercantile history.
question1.jpg

Jax

Jax

Disneyland?

TommiR

TommiR

Nope, old continent.

strawman

strawman

I'd play, but I dope with performance enhancing websites like tin eye, so I can only participate in non sanctioned forum games.

TommiR

TommiR

Ah, well, this game operates on the 'honor' principle, so such reverse search websites would kind of ruin things. But other forms of performance enhancers are completely allowed; I myself for example rarely start threads without a few pints.

Hint: the city partnered with another one to become a big fish (HUGE) in the trading networks of medieval Europe.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I'll have you know I am very proud of my 56% final grade in high school German class.

TommiR

TommiR

Very warm. So what would be your answer, HCGLNS?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

It's the Holsten Gate in Lubeck.

supplier493-20100917101120-1.jpg

TommiR

TommiR

Correct.

As to your picture... hmm, a native american statue, the color might suggest a copper or bronze coating in rather good shape, so it's not very old. The evergreen trees seem to suggest northern US or Canada, though the statue's lack of clothes on the upper body might be more fitting for a plains indian (or at least a warmer climate).

To google!

bhamv3

bhamv3

View attachment 9778
I've found the answer to this one, but I did it by cheating.

GHC&M'kM

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

You're a witch!

TommiR

TommiR

You're a witch!
I have to say I'm stumped. Any hints?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I have to say I'm stumped. Any hints?
HCGLNS

TommiR

TommiR

Got it. Truro Nova Scotian indian statue.

Though I did google that.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Now that TommiR's got it, I can reveal that I cheated by googling the image's file name.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

WITCH!!!

TommiR

TommiR

Would that be from Palmyra?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

You're only a 5 hour drive away!

TommiR

TommiR

Well, I understand there are plenty of cave churches in that area. The only ones I can say from the top of my head that would be at something of an appropriate distance would be at Antioch?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Colder.

TommiR

TommiR

Petra.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Nuts, I had a really good clue too.

Now try this on for size;

witch.jpg

TommiR

TommiR

Eyjafjallajökull?

T

The_Khan

Nuts, I had a really good clue too.

Now try this on for size;

View attachment 9780
it's a witch!

TommiR

TommiR

it's a witch!
... A good play on words, if your answer is correct.

T

The_Khan

... A good play on words, if your answer is correct.
according to the file name, it's a witch!

TommiR

TommiR

according to the file name, it's a witch!
That is what I understood from your previous post. Witch as in Hekla. Personally I try not to look at filenames.[DOUBLEPOST=1358477056][/DOUBLEPOST]Now one from me.

Hint: sometimes they walked, sometimes they swam. You can't explain that.
question3.jpg

Dirona

Dirona

Now one from me.

View attachment 9782
St. Michael's Mount. I think. It's been a while since I've been there.

TommiR

TommiR

Correct! Mont Saint Michel, a tidal island with a monastery, located in Normandy.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Ooh, Petra!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Whoever didn't know this was Petra immediately isn't a big enough fan of Indiana Jones.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Whoever didn't know this was Petra immediately isn't a big enough fan of Indiana Jones.
I didn't know it's Petra, I would've answered "the Grail place from Indiana Jones."

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I didn't know it's Petra, I would've answered "the Grail place from Indiana Jones."
Accepted.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

That is what I understood from your previous post. Witch as in Hekla. Personally I try not to look at filenames.[DOUBLEPOST=1358477056][/DOUBLEPOST]Now one from me.

View attachment 9782
Mont Saint Michel in France?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

View attachment 9782
Ugh, my sister in law sent me 8 million photos of her trip there last year. Also, my place is not a witch, that's just a way with wich to catch you witches.

Clue: Jay

TommiR

TommiR

Also, my place is not a witch, that's just a way with wich to catch you witches.
Pingualuit crater. Though I wouldn't have known without googling.

And about Petra. In my opinion, Raiders of the Lost Ark was the only one of the movies worth watching. (Can you tell I'm pissed off I didn't get Petra immediately?)

Dirona

Dirona

Woo! I knew something!

TommiR

TommiR

Woo! I knew something!

A big statue of a goose of some kind. Again, looking at the trees and seeing as it is a holiday photo, it could be in Canada like that previous indian statue, though that's just a stab in the dark. Beyond that, beats me, I haven't seen it. Could you give a clue?

Dirona

Dirona

You've got the country right.

strawman

strawman

It's Wawa!

There should be a theme song for that monument.

Picture in a moment.[DOUBLEPOST=1358481930][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh yeah baby.

Dirona

Dirona

yup yup!

Also, your statue reminds me of Izzard's bit about babies on spikes.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It's Wawa!

There should be a theme song for that monument.

Picture in a moment.[DOUBLEPOST=1358481930][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh yeah baby.

That's the... ok, I have absolutely no idea how to spell it, or even say it, but it's in Oslo, Norway.

strawman

strawman

Those crazy norwaygians!

Your turn.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

_sc00637.jpg

Hints:
• Big Dipper
• In a town whose name was used for the name of a main character in a Disney movie

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

bhamv3

bhamv3

Hints:
• Big Dipper
• In a town whose name was used for the name of a main character in a Disney movie
Ah yes, the town of Mulantown. Lovely this time of year.

TommiR

TommiR

Ravenpoe Umm, the Cadillac Ranch?
Hints:
• Big Dipper
Hmm... Big Dipper is a part of Ursa Major (Big Bear), the building is a greek russian orthodox church which is the branch of christianity they have in Russia, and a national symbol often seen depicting Russia is the Russian Bear. So, obviously, that is the Holy Church of the Great Russian Bear in Quasimodo.

Reality, conform!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

play honestly.[DOUBLEPOST=1358524457][/DOUBLEPOST]
Woo! I knew something!

Wawa?

Dirona

Dirona

Yup, Steiny got it last night.

TommiR

TommiR

play honestly.
The sideburns and the general clothing style are something I've seen in relation to the 19th century. Other than that, I've got nothing; it's a roadside statue of some guy, possibly somewhere in the United States.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

You are right about the 19th century and America.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Ok, seeing the file name when I quote lets me know my guess is incorrect, but I was going to say that looks like Martin Van Buren, and was going to guess his hometown of Kinderhook, NY

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Thanks for playing honestly.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Ouch, my cultural bias killed me on that one.

evilmike

evilmike

Ok, seeing the file name when I quote lets me know my guess is incorrect, but I was going to say that looks like Martin Van Buren, and was going to guess his hometown of Kinderhook, NY
Aha! I, too was going to guess Martin Van Buren. Then, I noticed who posted the original challenge, and I figured who the statue must be of based on that. I determined the location by Googling the person's name + statue and found out the location. Does this count?

It's the giant Sam Houston Statue in Huntsville Texas.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Yup, Steiny got it last night.
Wawa?! Like the convenience stores that are all over the mid-Atlantic states? With a goose silhouetted against a sunset as their emblem?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe Umm, the Cadillac Ranch?
Close! But no, the Cadillac Ranch has the aforementioned cars all buried nose-down, not arranged like Stonehenge.

That is actually the aptly named Carhenge, located in Alliance, Nebraska.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Ah yes, the town of Mulantown. Lovely this time of year.
Hmm... Big Dipper is a part of Ursa Major (Big Bear), the building is a greek russian orthodox church which is the branch of christianity they have in Russia, and a national symbol often seen depicting Russia is the Russian Bear. So, obviously, that is the Holy Church of the Great Russian Bear in Quasimodo.

Reality, conform!
Yeah, um . . . no. :p

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

View attachment 9783

Hints:
• Big Dipper
I liked your clues, so I will only help the others find it.

TommiR

TommiR

I liked your clues, so I will only help the others find it.
Nice. Good thinking there :)

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

My clue is awesomesauce donchaknow!

TommiR

TommiR

Certainly, and I get it now when you posted it. And the logic stands to reason.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Well, I hope you find it. Your silly guess is fantastically close.

TommiR

TommiR

Well, I hope you find it. Your silly guess is fantastically close.
Sorry if I was unclear: I found it out after I looked at your clue, as the logical path seems clear after that. That was some good thinking on your part, assuming I am correct in how you figured the answer out for yourself.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

play honestly.
Sam Houston statue on Interstate 45 outside of Huntsville, TX, home of Sam Houston State University. Actually only about 2 hours from where I'm sitting right now.

and I didn't look at EvilMike's spoiler until after I posted this. So your call on who is next sixpack.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Process:
1. Russian Orthodox Church with a sign in English, suggests Alaska.
2. Since most people choose significant landmarks, you could just google historic Russian Orthodox Churches in Alaska
3. Big Dipper -> Ursa Major, Bear? Any Disney movies with Bears?
4. Brother Bear! Lets google the title characters and Kenai is a place in Alaska!
5. And back to step 2, national landmark church in Kenai for the Russian Orthodox Church. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Assumption_of_the_Virgin_Mary_Church
6. Google around until found exact image.
7. Google Sarah Palin, get distracted by Lisa Ann.
????
9. Post on Halforums

Calleja

Calleja

I will never guess your places but I'll throw this one in for fun:

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I will never guess your places but I'll throw this one in for fun:

The Aqueduct of Quetzlzacatenango

Calleja

Calleja

The Aqueduct of Quetzlzacatenango
Did you actually guess and just tried to spell the name for comic effect, or was that a lucky approximation?

It's an aqueduct, yes, around 400 years old, but not in Quetzlzacatenango.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I am intentionally not saying the location, so I chose Quetzlzacatenango. Which as we all know is located in Guatemala, and home to a fiendish brand of pepper.

strawman

strawman

It's this one, perhaps:

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

That is one of the best photos I have ever seen of that lake.

strawman

strawman

That is one of the best photos I have ever seen of that lake.
National Geographic photographers, man. Just amazing.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Process:
2. Since most people choose significant landmarks, you could just google historic Russian Orthodox Churches in Alaska
4. Brother Bear! Lets google the title characters and Kenai is a place in Alaska!
5. And back to step 2, national landmark church in Kenai for the Russian Orthodox Church. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Assumption_of_the_Virgin_Mary_Church
????
9. Post on Halforums

Actually, the Big Dipper clue was alluding to Alaska's state flag:

Kenai was my early childhood hometown. At one point I use to live a block away from that church.

Calleja

Calleja

It's this one, perhaps:

It looks a bit different now:

But yes, that's it, Querétaro, my hometown. How the FUCK are you guys getting these so quickly? I REHOSTED IT!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Our daughter was once photographed by an actual photographer, the little menu on his digital camera was the clearest digital image I have ever seen.[DOUBLEPOST=1358572147][/DOUBLEPOST]

But yes, that's it, Querétaro, my hometown. How the FUCK are you guys getting these so quickly? I REHOSTED IT!
Simple assumptions of the game, make it very easy.

strawman

strawman

I googled "aquaduct mexico 400 years" and it showed me a lot of mexican aquaducts. This was the only one with the distinctive brick slant where the posts meet the duct.

TommiR

TommiR

Process:
????
9. Post on Halforums
I couldn't read the sign clearly enough to tell it was in english, though the white picket fence around the church strongly hinted at US origin. I didn't have much luck trying to google with that. After your picture narrowed it down to Alaska, finding the right church was rather simple, per your step 2. And googling disney+kenai served to confirm that. The part I failed to get, I admit, was the quite logical step that, although there must be many orthodox churches in communities in the US where the people have suitable family backgrounds, Alaska as formerly belonging to Russia is a good place to start looking.

Nice thinking.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Calleja people more often than not tend to post places they are familiar to them, or close to them.

I looked at your image, saw what appeared to be an aqueduct and googled "Mexican Aqueducts"

strawman

strawman

Here's one that should be a bit harder. The filename gives it away completely, so don't quote this message or view the image alone if you don't want to be tipped off.

Hint: people who boat in the Pacific Ocean might have a good chance at guessing what it is.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Here's one that should be a bit harder. The filename gives it away completely, so don't quote this message or view the image alone if you don't want to be tipped off.

Hint: people who boat in the Pacific Ocean might have a good chance at guessing what it is.

Muhuhahahaha!

Calleja

Calleja

I'll tell you where it's not, and that's West of Acapulco.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Can't tell if it's an air traffic control tower, a lighthouse, or both.

--Patrick

TommiR

TommiR

Me neither. And having it float isn't helping, either.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Enoshima Lighthouse.

Got it by google image searching lighthouses in Pacific locations. Went through "lighthouse hawaii", "lighthouse california", "lighthouse oregon" before I hit on "lighthouse japan" and found it.[DOUBLEPOST=1358592288][/DOUBLEPOST]Here's my entry:

nondescriptfilename.jpg

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

1. What building would people who boaters recognize: lighthouse, port authority.
2. What Pacific nation has a history of boating and stupid modern buildings: Japan, Taiwan
3. Google.

Enoshima Lighthouse.

Got it by google image searching lighthouses in Pacific locations. Went through "lighthouse hawaii", "lighthouse california", "lighthouse oregon" before I hit on "lighthouse japan" and found it.[DOUBLEPOST=1358592288][/DOUBLEPOST]Here's my entry:

View attachment 9794
1. Google "stone formations looks like face"

bhamv3

bhamv3

Hint for mine: Higgins's earlier advice about what people tend to post is accurate in this case.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Hint for mine: Higgins's earlier advice about what people tend to post is accurate in this case.
The Queen's Head in Yehliu?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Poe's got it.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm betting that's Unibroue, a brewery in Chambly, Quebec.

And my contribution:

PatrThom

PatrThom

I've heard of it. Yes I have. You should, too.

--Patrick

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

No, not Unibroue. Though now I want to go buy some of their beers.