Who Watches the Watches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offshoot of an AMA answer where we discovered someone's intense dislike for watches: Who here actually wears a watch? Do you all rely on your phone/computer/sundial in the yard (didn't want to leave Dave out) for timekeeping?

Me personally, I do, as I have an affinity for wide, cuff watches even though they tend to add to my already ridiculous amounts of manliness.

Since I was about 12 or so, I haven't been able to not have a watch on my wrist. The instinct to glance down at my left wrist whenever I want to know the time is now so deeply entrenched, I'll probably be buried in that position.

There have been occasions where I couldn't wear a watch, such as when it was broken, or during sporting events. I felt like I was missing a major body part.

I wear a watch. Like MindDetective I feel weird if I'm not wearing it when I go out. Like if I forgot my wallet or cellphone.

My dad got me an expensive watch for my graduation from highschool. I'm wearing that now, but before that it was usually a cheap digital sport watch. Either way, I prefer wearing a watch so I know how far I am from being late for class/my potatoes overcooking/having to get out of bed etc.

Also, I am right handed, but wear my watch on my right wrist as well, which seems to freak people out for some reason when they first learn about it.

C

Chazwozel

I never wear watches. I have two though. A Rolex submariner and a Citizen. I wear the Citizen out on the town, but that's about it. I'll wear the Rolex to suit and tie events.

I used to wear a watch all the time, but one day my strap broke and I just stopped wearing it. When my wife and I got married, someone gave me a nice expensive watch to replace the old one with the broken strap. The problem is, I had become so used to not wearing one by that point that the sweat, kind of pinchy sensation of the watch on my wrist made it difficult to wear at that point. I often found myself taking it of and propping it up like a little clock on my desk.

I kind of miss wearing it. :eek:hwell:

I have a bad habit of not taking off my watch for anything. anything... I feel nekkid with out it. even when I'm nekkid.

Too many times I've had different lady-friends "in certain situations" ask, "Do you have to be somewhere later?" "Are you timing yourself?"

I can't stand metal watch bands. Maybe they've improved, but last time I wore one (at least a decade ago), it was basically a mechanism to tell time and randomly rip out arm hair.

I don't really like wearing stuff on my wrists. I tried using a pocket watch but my pockets are quite full enough as it is/I kept forgetting I had it. I did try at one point to wear wristwatch and I broke it with in less than a week. So after that I decided I didn't need to wear a watch. Besides I am usually near a computer or something that i can check the time on and my internal clock is usually accurate to within 10 minutes.

O

Occasional Poster

I wear a wristwatch when I'm not at home. I like not having to get my cell out of my pocket every time I want to know the time. It also looks good, my wrist feels a little naked without it.

I did not wear a watch for five years or so after I got my first cell phone, but I kind of missed it. It's so non-discrete to pick up my phone all the time.

I got my current watch as a gift from my parents when I graduated from high school. It's analogue with a metal bracelet, but it's not ornate or expensive or anything.

I've also got some digital doodad with a step counter and a pulse meter to attach to a band around my chest for when I'm running, but I haven't bothered to learn how to use it yet. Too much hassle, so i just run without it.

I'm thinking about getting a watch with a black leather strap to go with a suit, but I don't wear suits often enough to justify it.

Huh, I guess I have more opinons on watches than I thought. I also seem to love starting sentences with variations of 'I'...

When I was in the Navy and in College I wore a watch all the time. Typically one of those nice heavy metal fossil ones. After I got out of the Navy I stopped wearing one and my wrist has been tan line free for over five years now.

I have my cell phone. And thanks to Toronto, there's a lot of clocks around, such as in the subway stations. That's good enough for me.

I used to, but it has been broken for months and I'm getting used to use my cell phone, computer and alarm clock to know the time.

As soon as I actually get to buy a new one, I'll wear a watch again.

Can't stand wearing a watch. It's probably been 15 years since I last gave it a shot. Used to play with my calculator watch all day in middle school, though.

S

Soliloquy

I started wearing a watch when I was in London a year and a half ago -- I bought a timex for £10 at Argos, and the thing has served me faithfully thus far. When I started my new job, though, I started wearing an old metal-banded Fossil watch that I was given when I graduated from High School -- though I soon found that the thing would make my arm fall asleep if I dozed off on an airplane while wearing it.

I prefer to wear a watch these days, though I'm perfectly fine with using my cell phone -- which I consider a "pocket watch"

I feel naked without my watch on. Plus I do the "What time is it?" *look at bare wrist, pause, blink* "Oh yeeeeeeeah." *dig for cellphone*

Which is admittedly weird.

I have 3 or 4 cheapos, and one nice one. I usually wear a digital one with multiple timers. It's my goto timer for work and cooking.

Also, do you wear your watch facing out or facing in? I have always worn my facing in. I don't know why. My gf thinks it's weird, but I think tons of people wear them like that.

I used to wear a watch until I discovered that I would check the time every several minutes. The action became so reflexive, that I wouldn't even remember the time when I looked away.

I stopped wearing a watch, and didn't even have a phone at that time. I felt free. I'd look at wall clocks, clock towers, and even ask complete strangers for the time. Now I check my cellphone, which I don't do nearly as frequently as I used to check my watch, but still frequently enough that I need to give it up.

Cajungal

Staff member
Nope. I used to, but when I did, they bothered me. Eventually I just quit wearing the 2 or 3 I'd gotten as gifts. I'd bother all the friends who got cell phones before me about the time.

fade

Staff member
I read/saw somewhere that the sales of wristwatches have fallen off significantly since the cellphone became so widespread.

I will now dedicate my life to the production of watch chains for cell phones, and it will make me rich.

FINALLY, I HAVE FOUND MY THING!

North_Ranger

Staff member
I've worn a watch ever since I turned seven and went to school; an event where it became necessary for yours truly to be on time instead of just being taken to the kindergarten by the folks. It was just another tool for me, though, so when I was in my early teens I wore a cheapo won-at-a-mall-lottery watch, even when the glass chipped and it looked butt-ugly. As for bands, I used to have leather-band watches. Unfortunately, my sweat seems to have some slightly acidic properties, so I wore them out pretty fast (it might have helped if I had taken my watch off for PE, but back then I didn't think about that unless we were specifically told not to wear watches). In junior high I switched to metal bands and haven't gone back. As for wearing, the only places where I take mine off are in the shower, in bed, when swimming and when performing at the Medieval Market (though I compensate by wearing a bitching bracer ;) ). Because of my complexion, I don't tan, so I don't even worry about tan lines.

The one I am wearing now - and have done so for a good number of years now - is an analogue Citizen Eco-Drive, a solar-powered watch. It was a bit more expensive, but it looked and felt good around my wrist, it's sturdy, it had the one extra feature I wanted (showing the day of the month), and apparently it has a life expectancy that far exceeds a battery-powered watch's. I've never been happier with a watch: there's no need to change batteries so there's no worry of the watch suddenly stopping. And contrary to my fear that it might start slowing down because of lack of sunlight, such a thing has yet to happen. I also own an old pocket watch with chain and all; it belonged to my great-uncle Arvi, who bought it in the 1920s when he became a farmer. It's a rare and beautiful thing, so I don't wear it. But I do enjoy taking out from time to time and just looking at it. It even works still, albeit one has to wind it up first.

As for wearing a watch: I'm right-handed so I wear my watch in my left wrist. Curiously, I've heard of people wearing it differently: I wear mine the face facing outside, i.e. on top of my wrist, but I've heard people wearing their watches on the inside of the wrist, on top of the bit where goths cut themselves. And after the mind-blowing revelation about people taking a crap standing up... how do you wear yours?

I will now dedicate my life to the production of watch chains for cell phones, and it will make me rich.

FINALLY, I HAVE FOUND MY THING!
Am I the only one who pictured Fun Size (heh) talking to himself about his future plans, looking down and suddenly exclaiming very happy that he has finally "found his thing"?

Used to wear a wrist watch, then switch to a pocket watch when I started work. Now I just know what time of day it is naturally.

figmentPez

Staff member
Since I was about 12 or so, I haven't been able to not have a watch on my wrist. The instinct to glance down at my left wrist whenever I want to know the time is now so deeply entrenched, I'll probably be buried in that position.

There have been occasions where I couldn't wear a watch, such as when it was broken, or during sporting events. I felt like I was missing a major body part.
It was about 10 years old for me. I bought a Timex Ironman watch with the money from my paper route, and I've worn a watch almost every day of my life since. I have no sense of time. I need a watch to know what time it is, what day it is, and sometimes I even think I need a watch that tells the year.

I wear a watch because I feel weird going out without one.

Furthermore, if the battery is out, I feel weird until I get a new one, even though I don't use my watch to tell time (I use my phone).

Furthermore, if the battery is out, I feel weird until I get a new one, even though I don't use my watch to tell time (I use my phone).
Battery? Oh yeah, they make digital watches now don't they!

Battery? Oh yeah, they make digital watches now don't they![/QUOTE]

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but most analog watches have had batteries of varying kinds for decades. Not all, to be sure, but most.

Status
Not open for further replies.