Export thread

Who's Been Giving Tim Lessons?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

His artwork is coming along something crazy. I mean the multiple angles he's using now, the facial expressions, the detail in alot of the clothing/faces/bodies. It's like someonelse is drawing it all. His storylines and character development are moving along interestingly enough, but damn, his artwork has leaped. Unlike some artists, he's not having to trace in good artwork.

Inbe4quiznossubway.

Chazwozel

His artwork is coming along something crazy. I mean the multiple angles he's using now, the facial expressions, the detail in alot of the clothing/faces/bodies. It's like someonelse is drawing it all. His storylines and character development are moving along interestingly enough, but damn, his artwork has leaped. Unlike some artists, he's not having to trace in good artwork.

Inbe4quiznossubway.

Looks like the same ol' shit to me.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Just to clarify, you're calling the last month's worth of drawn comics, EXACTLY the same as 1-2yrs ago?

I think you need to get your eyes checked.

KCWM

KCWM

To me, it reminds me of the big step up in art that PvP took for the marriage arc. Whether it's his intent or not, it appears, at least to me, that Buckley is again taking a queue from another webcomic, long enough that most will have forgotten.

That being said, the art has been better. The story? Not so much.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Are we sure photoshop didn't just implement some better filters or something?

Cuyval Dar

Wow, this is sad. The same people who defend Kurt are hating on Buckley. I guess that I expected better.
That said, Buckley has greatly improved his artwork. His writing on anything not geek/gaming related could certainly use work, but at least it's better than Scott at this point.

Espy

Espy

Yeah, looks pretty much the same to me. I only went back a few weeks though.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well it's certainly better then when i last read one, you need to go back more.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Tim's art, 2004
http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20041023

Tim's art, 2006..not much different.
http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20061027

2007. much of the same
http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20070319

2008. A little improvment, but much of the same
http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20080324

2009. Just seems to be a lot more 'art' in his art to me.
http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20091127

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Yeah if you can't tell the difference between the 2004 and now, I dunno what to tell you.

Not to mention Tim had a real bad habit of just having two directions his characters could face, a handful of facial expressions and alot of his characters looked horribly similar. Not very much the case in the recent art.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I wouldn't say the actual art has improved, but it sure is a lot less cut and pastey lately.

It's also getting a lot less text heavy, which is a good thing. At this point, yeah, I pay more attention to CAD then PVP, but that's mostly because PVP has been stinking on ice lately.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I wouldn't say the actual art has improved.
I'm guessing you didn't actually look at the links.

Heavan

Well, I saw the difference. Which amounts to as much as 'I have eyes and look at things with them' as far as I'm concerned.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm guessing you didn't actually look at the links.[/QUOTE]

Of course his art style changed over the course of 6 years, but it's been in it's current incarnation for a few years now.

If you're commenting on recent improvements, changes over a few years ago don't really count.

Gusto

Gusto

I distinctly remember having to avert my eyes at some point this past week because the mouths on the characters were way too high and kinda freaked me out.

Heavan

I'm guessing you didn't actually look at the links.[/QUOTE]

Of course his art style changed over the course of 6 years, but it's been in it's current incarnation for a few years now.

If you're commenting on recent improvements, changes over a few years ago don't really count.[/QUOTE]

So you see absolutely zero difference between the linked 2008 comic and the linked 2009 comic? None at all?

Really?

Soliloquy

I've been thinking about posting this for a while, now.

Tim's art and storytelling still aren't great, but the little improvements that he's made in recent months make some huge differences. In this current storyline, we've been able to tell what ethan's thinking simply by the look on his face, (in this case, he's thinking "dead god am I high up" in the upper-right panel), and we've seen writing that actually borders on character development.

Heck, we've seen both happening in the same comic.

There is nothing like this in Buckley's comics from a year ago. I challenge you to prove that claim wrong.

Like it or not, the guy has gotten better.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

I distinctly remember having to avert my eyes at some point this past week because the mouths on the characters were way too high and kinda freaked me out.
this is bugging me.

Soliloquy

Well, the eyes are always way too high up on the head, too. I think Tim keeps it that way because he doesn't want to change character designs too much.

Heavan

A webcomic without perfect anatomy! That's terrible. He should be more like... uh... that one comic... that...

Alright, I'm bailing out on this right now. No webcomic has perfect representations of things.

Null

Null

The artwork is better than it used to be. I'm still not interested in reading the comic, but the art is different and less samey.

I stopped reading PVP about a year ago, as well, so I don't know how that's progressed, if it has.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Yeah this was mainly meant to point out the growth in his artistic talent, not really so much his stories.

Though his characters have come and gone through alot of development since the "lolmiscarriage".

Espy

Espy

It's "better" as in it's, as LB said up top, less "samey".

He has grown but honestly I feel like Scott has blown him out of the water as far as art progression.

Of course Gabe has topped them all...

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Considering Scott traces some of his better artwork from already drawn articles from other artists, I don't give him as much credit.

Espy

Espy

Considering Scott traces some of his better artwork from already drawn articles from other artists, I don't give him as much credit.
That's pretty normal practice for comic book artists.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Whatever the reason is, it's not "impressive artwork progression".

Espy

Espy

Whatever the reason is, it's not "impressive artwork progression".
I think he's shown a strong improvement in his art in the last few years. Go look at older stuff then at the wedding arc. His writing has declined, rather severely in my opinion, but his art overall, not just when he traces (which how often is that, do we know?), has gotten much better.
Just my opinion though. I still think Tim's characters look like lazy eyed goofs. They just have a few extra facial expressions now.
Tim's gaming comics look a lot better than his personal character comics.

Philosopher B.

I'd rather look at PVP, but I'm not particularly enthused about the writing of either one.

I gotta say though, looking through recent CAD, this made me guffaw out loud:

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20091012

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well his gaming related strips have always been funny... it's everything else that's facepalm worthy.

Chazwozel

I was going to say the same thing. He's a tracer. Kurt and Buckley are still pretty much the same damn thing.

KCWM

KCWM

I wasn't saying that Tim's art hadn't improved. I just mentioned that he, like Kurtz, really stepped up the art around the time of their wedding arc. I have noticed that he's been using more angles and Lilah looks a little more feminine than the bobblehead with curves she's looked like for quite some time.

What I did point out, and I'm undeterred in my opinion of, is that the timing is a little suspect. Enough time has passed that most casusal fans will not remember Kurtz's wedding arc and the artwork upgrade he did around that time. Tim has always found, um, "inspiration" in the direction of other webcomics.

But, his art has definitely improved. It's not hard to see.

fade

fade

What's an example of Kurtz tracing? Seriously asking, not trolling.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

from the 'why we don't talk about pvp anymore' thread:
http://www.pvponline.com/2009/10/29/malcontents/
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VQgXnV0rB5A/SahOxdyelQI/AAAAAAAAAKg/hrlby8DhNPQ/s400/Starbuck.jpg
Have you not watched his live stream? He takes pictures off the net and traces them. He does that with everything but his characters. Even the shotgun in his zombie arc was pulled off google and traced. It's a smart idea as it saves him time but it explains the contrast in style where his characters look cartoony and other characters look real. And it's not like he's being sneaky about it. He lets you watch him draw in his live feeds and is open about it.

fade

fade

Wow, thanks. Couldn't have asked for a better reply.

KCWM

KCWM

The tracing doesn't bother me at all, for either comic.

Espy

Espy

The tracing doesn't bother me at all, for either comic.
Nor I. Go look at the Joe Quesada feature on Neworama or wherever. He uses references photos for all his shots. Granted, he at least takes his own pictures usually but still, it's an accepted part of comic art. I'd rather see them, like Mignola and other greats, make their own reference photo's but... eh, I understand.

fade

fade

Yeah, but a reference photo is different from tracing. You still have to actually draw the thing. I would go so far as to say that if you aren't using reference photos when you can, you're not doing it right. Something just doesn't sit right about tracing, though. I don't know what it is, either.

Espy

Espy

Well, I know what guys like Quesada and Mignola do is they take the reference photo and trace, usually for the layout, then they generally re-draw the entire thing (although they may just trace the layout, I'm not sure, probably depends on time/preference, etc).
I used to think it was evil as well, then the more I saw how normal it was in the comics industry I just kind of went... meh.
Now copy paste... thats a different ball game.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Again, it's not about the tracing, it's the fact that on the whole Tim's art has improved. From his backrounds, to his characters even his inanimate objects have more detail and depth.

Someone decided to bring Scott into the mix, and I just simply stated that "growth" doesn't come from tracing shit.

Dave

Dave

I've been reading through a few of the latest strips and I have to say it's FAR different than it used to be. Sure, certain panels might be similar, but the writing, direction, character interaction and almost everything about it is better.

I've re-bookmarked it.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

He has definitely stepped away from using the same technique. Is it OMGTOTESAWESOME? No, but it's an admirable step in the right direction!

I haven't read cad since he inherited the game store, so I was in for a shock!

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

Wow... so I am going backwards from the partial nudity one, and I am impressed! :D