Export thread

Why are Halforum posts so boring lately?

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I have been searching for a post for my amusement, and one thing that sticks out is the boring selection of posts out there. A quick google search shows a lot of other people asking why the posts are so boring, too. Almost every forum I look at--high end, halforums end--all have rant, introduce yourself, funny pictures, and "say something about x poster" topics. Maybe post your own picture, and if they're super adventurous, post your own NSFW picture. The only answers I can find online are create your own forum or join a forum, but I don't believe it. I'm guessing it's just easier to post these topics for some reason. have you noticed this, too? Do you desire a post not on the bland menu? I miss amusing posts.

:whistling:

MindDetective

MindDetective

What is an example of a non-boring topic? Maybe it's you?

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

What is an example of a non-boring topic? Maybe it's you?
*cough* https://www.halforums.com/threads/why-are-car-colors-so-boring-lately.25563/ *cough*

MindDetective

MindDetective

So...this topic? :awesome:

fade

fade

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Krisken

Krisken

You want drama. You big dick.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I just made an aggressive thread in all caps deal with it

strawman

strawman

To change the forum, first seek to change yourself:

https://www.halforums.com/members/crimsonsoul.495/

Gusto

Gusto

I just made an aggressive thread in all caps deal with it

Tress

Tress

Sorry they can't all be arguments about steak, or how to wipe your ass.

strawman

strawman

I'm guessing it's just easier to post these topics for some reason. have you noticed this, too? Do you desire a post not on the bland menu?
People often go to forums in order to form new relationships or connections with others they wouldn't otherwise run into in their daily life. They often seek acceptance, affirmation, and friendship. If the members of the forum are often at odds with them on various topics, they'll wander off because their viewpoints are shouted down.

Thus many forums become reasonably bland echo chambers - everyone pats everyone else on the back. I've stopped participating in a subset of threads where I have a distinctly different viewpoint because people here attack me rather than debate the issue. I don't post controversial threads because I already know the outcome.

Further, most forums have a "please be nice" policy, but it's enforced in a way that lively debate is discouraged. Rather than removing the offending posts (usually personal attacks), whole threads are closed under the assumption that once a thread goes bad, it's impossible to save it. And generally that's true - it's really hard work to save a thread where someone has started attacking people rather than debating the topic.

So my suspicion is that it's endemic to the format and the method of managing the various forums. Bland forums with a few "key" attracting topics gain more new members than those forums that represent a large variety of conflicting viewpoints.

That, however, is merely one small part of what makes some threads interesting and not bland. There are certainly ways to encourage interesting threads that are not controversial.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

You want controversy? I'll give you controversy.

Ahem...

Greedo shot first.

Terrik

Terrik

Oh yeah?

Well, you wear pants. So there.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Ahem...

Greedo shot first.
LIES!!!!

fade

fade

People often go to forums in order to form new relationships or connections with others they wouldn't otherwise run into in their daily life. They often seek acceptance, affirmation, and friendship. If the members of the forum are often at odds with them on various topics, they'll wander off because their viewpoints are shouted down.

Thus many forums become reasonably bland echo chambers - everyone pats everyone else on the back. I've stopped participating in a subset of threads where I have a distinctly different viewpoint because people here attack me rather than debate the issue. I don't post controversial threads because I already know the outcome.

Further, most forums have a "please be nice" policy, but it's enforced in a way that lively debate is discouraged. Rather than removing the offending posts (usually personal attacks), whole threads are closed under the assumption that once a thread goes bad, it's impossible to save it. And generally that's true - it's really hard work to save a thread where someone has started attacking people rather than debating the topic.

So my suspicion is that it's endemic to the format and the method of managing the various forums. Bland forums with a few "key" attracting topics gain more new members than those forums that represent a large variety of conflicting viewpoints.

That, however, is merely one small part of what makes some threads interesting and not bland. There are certainly ways to encourage interesting threads that are not controversial.
You're telling me. Every time I offer a counterpoint, apparently it means I hate everything.

Gusto

Gusto

You're telling me. Every time I offer a counterpoint, apparently it means I hate everything.
Imagine how Charlie must feel.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

smug?

Krisken

Krisken

Damn you, I about choked on my drink.

I used to want to debate here, Stienman, but no one really wants to follow the same set of rules. What's the point of a debate when the only point is "winning"?

Jay

Jay

We need more Chaz

Emrys

Emrys

Chaz and JCM? They make things not-boring.

Wasabi Poptart

Ahem...

Greedo shot first.
Sauna pants are infinitely better than a sauna!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Would it make this post more exciting if I told you that while I post it Dave is covered in peanut butter?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Would it make this post more exciting if I told you that while I post it Dave is covered in peanut butter?
Sorry that makes it sound more frightening.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I'm not allergic to peanut butter if it helps. Also what would happen if North_Gusto and Celine Dion had a baby?

Dave

Dave

Only parts of me. Only parts.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Only parts of me. Only parts.
You heard him folks! Now place your bets! What parts of Dave are covered in peanut butter?

I'm giving 4 to 3 on mouth, 5 to 6 on fingers, and 1 to 10 on dingler!

Gared

Gared

What odds can you quote me on butt cheeks?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Buttocks are 5 to 3.
Knees 8 to 1.
Moobs 1 to 1.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Oh yeah?

Well, you wear pants. So there.
*gasps*

You wound me, Terrik, you wound me.

And heck, I'd love a good debate on a topic but I know for a fact that I'm too thin-skinned. Or I have a tendency to read jabs at my person as "fighting words".
Added at: 21:24
Sauna pants are infinitely better than a sauna!
BURN THE INFIDEL!!!

figmentPez

figmentPez

strawman

strawman

What's the point of a debate when the only point is "winning"?

fade

fade

*gasps*

You wound me, Terrik, you wound me.

And heck, I'd love a good debate on a topic but I know for a fact that I'm too thin-skinned. Or I have a tendency to read jabs at my person as "fighting words".
I like a debate, but it always seems to degrade to ad hominems, and people taking it personally that I disagree with them. Or continually making the same point that I already addressed like 5 times.

Emrys

Emrys

This isn't the right room for an argument. This is abuse. You want HalforumsB, along the corridor.

Wasabi Poptart

*waves her hand* This is not the debate you were looking for.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Fade doesn't like that...

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've been too busy to stir shit. Work's been a real bear lately. Haven't updated my political thread even in I can't even remember how long. I need to hurry up and win the lotto so I can retire and snarl at you jackanapes full time.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

The important thing is it's not my fault. I was never interesting to begin with. :awesome:

figmentPez

figmentPez

The most interesting conversations I've had on Halforums recently have been via PM.

Deal with it.

Philosopher B.

Let's be honest with ourselves, we haven't had a really good thread since 'Do You Wipe Sitting or Standing up?'

Tress

Tress

Let's be honest with ourselves, we haven't had a really good thread since 'Do You Wipe Sitting or Standing up?'
I guess we need more drama. Any idea how to attract more assholes and trolls to the site?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Well, we had the Bastard Factory bitch here for a bit, but SOMEBODY had to go and lock that thread.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Well, we had the Bastard Factory bitch here for a bit, but SOMEBODY had to go and lock that thread.
Gee thanks a lot Gusto!

Mathias

Mathias

Chaz and JCM? They make things not-boring.

You can't handle Chaz. The minute I bring him back, you'll all be whining like little babies for his demise.
Added at: 17:40
I've been too busy to stir shit. Work's been a real bear lately. Haven't updated my political thread even in I can't even remember how long. I need to hurry up and win the lotto so I can retire and snarl at you jackanapes full time.
Nigga, please. You haven't been threatening since you posted a picture of your Ewok ass in ImageForums.

Vagabond

Vagabond

Any idea how to attract more assholes to the site?
:awesome:

Jay

Jay

And I was rocking it.

Was the best fun in months.
Added at: 19:56

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I have been searching for a post for my amusement, and one thing that sticks out is the boring selection of posts out there. A quick google search shows a lot of other people asking why the posts are so boring, too. Almost every forum I look at--high end, halforums end--all have rant, introduce yourself, funny pictures, and "say something about x poster" topics. Maybe post your own picture, and if they're super adventurous, post your own NSFW picture. The only answers I can find online are create your own forum or join a forum, but I don't believe it. I'm guessing it's just easier to post these topics for some reason. have you noticed this, too? Do you desire a post not on the bland menu? I miss amusing posts.

:whistling:
The drama happens in flashes now, so unless you're around to see it unfold, you miss it. Maybe you should have less of a life so you can just hang around here all day.

Terrik

Terrik