Export thread

Windows 11 is here. Anyone taking the plunge yet?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

What it Says On The Tin. Anyone going to take one for the team and give Windows 11 a go straight away?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Nope

bhamv3

bhamv3

Not me.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I don't think my hardware is allowed to run Win11.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Working in IT, I never go with the initial release of *anything* for at least a few months...

That being said, with new OS releases, I usually wait until "SP1" or whatever first major update comes around.

PatrThom

PatrThom

While I do have some machines that can run it without issue, the answer is no, I probably won't.
And the reason for that is pretty straightforward--If I am reading this correctly, the TPM2 requirement means that installing Win11 sets Windows up in the TPM with root ownership of your computer. So if you're a DIY box builder (like myself), you build a computer with all your fancy/expensive parts, and then when you install Win11 you have to grant root ownership of your creation over to Windows/Microsoft "for the children your safety."

It's not for your safety. It's for DRM and authentication purposes (obviously), and they have been pushing this idea since Vista but have yet to demonstrate to me, the consumer, a sufficiently compelling reason why I should need this or would even want it.

So no.

--Patrick

@Li3n

@Li3n

I'm still on 7 @ home.

And teh 10 @ work shows me every day why.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Not planning on it. If I do, it'll be with a new CPU with the old drives.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Fine. I did it on the laptop. All I do with it is surf and watch seasonals, anyway. Upgrade went through smoothly. Radeon software protested when I tried to open it after, but there's already an update for that.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Can you move the start button back to the lower left corner? I feel like putting it in the middle of the taskbar is a terrible design decision.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Can you move the start button back to the lower left corner?
Yes.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Yes.
Cool. That was my primary gripe with W11 so I might get it after the inevitable teething pains have been ironed out.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I checked, but my processor is too old and no longer supported. Oh no! Guess I'm stuck with...the version of Windows that I've finally grown accustomed to!

MindDetective

MindDetective

I'm sure I'll need to at work, eventually. At home, I'm on a Mac, but the next family PC will probably be a Windows machine and I guess it depends on how soon I get it or if I put it together myself or not. I'll say, it's possible.

Terrik

Terrik

Another thing for @GasBandit to not upgrade to.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Another thing for @GasBandit to not upgrade to.
I'll probably end up with it on my work laptop sooner or later, but at on my gaming desktop, windows 7 is still going strong. Though, I have to switch into my dualboot install of 10 now when I want to use VR... but I haven't done that in months and months.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

After perusing the /r/Windows11 sub, I checked the device security settings on the desktop. Turns out *all* the hardware security options on the motherboard had been disabled by default since I bought the thing. It wants Secure Boot, TPM, and virtualization all turned on. Since this isn't going to be anything but a Windows box for now, turning them on isn't that big a deal, at least not for *that*.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

After perusing the /r/Windows11 sub, I checked the device security settings on the desktop. Turns out *all* the hardware security options on the motherboard had been disabled by default since I bought the thing. It wants Secure Boot, TPM, and virtualization all turned on. Since this isn't going to be anything but a Windows box for now, turning them on isn't that big a deal, at least not for *that*.
What is Win11 offering that has you switching?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

What is Win11 offering that has you switching?
I haven't really truly switched over yet. The Windows laptop is practically brand new and isn't doing much besides Chrome and MPC Black, so I thought I'd give it a try there first.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

PatrThom

PatrThom

I mean, that only affects the dirty AMD peasants, and not the glorious Intel master race.

—Patrick

@Li3n

@Li3n

I mean, that only affects the dirty AMD peasants, and not the glorious Intel master race.

—Patrick
Yeah, now those damn AMDers will have to settle for Intel performance for their chips, which might not be the same as the good old days of Intel dominance, but at least it's something.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Windows 95 taught us this lesson. Always wait for the first service pack. Sometimes the second.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

A week with Windows 11 on the laptop and everything seems fine. Again, it's been mainly Chrome, qBittorrent, and MPC Black, so it's possible there's something lurking that I just haven't triggered yet.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

A couple of fixes are due next week.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Latest update from WinX pretty much confirms I won’t be able to upgrade to 11.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Latest update from WinX pretty much confirms I won’t be able to upgrade to 11.
Win11 pretty much demands that you be running an 8th generation or later CPU, so anyone who didn't buy their computer brand new less than 4 years ago gets left out (8th gen was introduced in Fall of 2017).

--Patrick

Cog

Cog

I installed it on my work pc. Everything was ok for 3 days and today my mic just stopped working. Nothing I tried fixed the problem and I was afraid that the audio jack was damaged. I rolled back to windows 10 and it's working again. The good news is that it took less than 10 minutes to return to windows 10.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So the 19th has come and gone, and only the insiders got the promised update. :rolleyes:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The updates from both Microsoft and AMD are now live.

Hardware Unboxed did a performance comparison between 10 and 11. Intel only, as the AMD fixes hadn't arrived yet. And as it turns out, no one really needs VBS. Not in the home, at least.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Win11 pretty much demands that you be running an 8th generation or later CPU, so anyone who didn't buy their computer brand new less than 4 years ago gets left out (8th gen was introduced in Fall of 2017).
...unless you want to be very creative with your install, that is:
...[He included] video and benchmarks to verify his machine was running the one-core Pentium chip with only 4GB of DDR2 RAM. [...] Of course, the OS runs a bit slow on the Pentium 4 chip. Nevertheless, it shows Windows 11 can easily run on decade-old hardware.
"a bit slow" yes I'm sure. But it runs!

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Hardware Unboxed is investigating a new bug with AMD CPUs where performance tanks after a CPU swap, necessitating a fresh install of Win 11. Stay tuned.

PatrThom

PatrThom

How should that even be a thing? I know the new Alder Lake CPUs are causing issues with apps that specifically make decisions based on CPU architecture (e.g., DRM), but swapping out a proc shouldn’t change anything but speed, assuming they’re the same core. Does Win11 hash the CPU ID or serial and then enter some kind of limited mode if it suspects “tampering?” This doesn’t sound like a simple coding error, is what I’m saying.

—Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

How should that even be a thing? I know the new Alder Lake CPUs are causing issues with apps that specifically make decisions based on CPU architecture (e.g., DRM), but swapping out a proc shouldn’t change anything but speed, assuming they’re the same core. Does Win11 hash the CPU ID or serial and then enter some kind of limited mode if it suspects “tampering?” This doesn’t sound like a simple coding error, is what I’m saying.

—Patrick
Further testing suggests it may be an Adrenalin problem.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The "Press Here To Upgrade To Windows 11" button has shown up on the desktop. I'm very tempted to just do it. I haven't had any issues on the laptop after a month.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Features in Windows 11 not working due to expired certificate... A brand-new OS and a Cert is already expired....

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I've got all night, so I just hit the install button on the desktop. Sorry, @GasBandit.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Let us know how it goes, O brave pioneer.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'm in. So far so good. But all I've done so far was check updates on apps and drivers. Time to lewd some Sims for the real test.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Time to lewd some Sims for the real test.
Push it real good.

—Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

What I'm finding out is something carried over from Windows 10. Although the basic Windows UI and 4K streams like YouTube work fine, my RX 580 paired with the TCL TV *really* doesn't like that combination. The card wasn't truly meant for 4K use, after all.

EDIT: That may have been a marginal HDMI cable. Swapped it for another one, and the flickering and static has abated. Plus, I'm gradually getting a grip on the scaling weirdness with Sims 4.