Export thread

World Cup 2014

bhamv3

bhamv3

So, the qualifiers are almost all in (woo hoo, England made it!) and the top seeds for the tournament have been established. And apparently Belgium and Switzerland are among the top 8 teams in the world. Also, England are ranked above Brazil, who's not even in the top 10.

I think we've officially entered Bizarro World Cup.

Cog

Cog

Ecuador qualified without winning a game as visitor. I hope they play during work hours. I could use the time off

jwhouk

jwhouk

So if I have this right, 11 more to qualify?

Piotyr

Piotyr

So if I have this right, 11 more to qualify?
Four Europe playoffs, five Africa playoffs, one North America/Oceania playoff, one South America/Asia playoff

So yes, 11.[DOUBLEPOST=1382121503,1382121326][/DOUBLEPOST]
So, the qualifiers are almost all in (woo hoo, England made it!) and the top seeds for the tournament have been established. And apparently Belgium and Switzerland are among the top 8 teams in the world. Also, England are ranked above Brazil, who's not even in the top 10.

I think we've officially entered Bizarro World Cup.
The reason Brazil is so low is because they haven't played many serious matches in about 3 years, since they're hosting the World Cup. In the only games they played that mattered, they swept the Confederations Cup last year and destroyed everyone in the process.

Belgium and Switzerland had the advantage of both blitzing their qualifying groups and not qualifying for Euro 2012, so neither has lost much in a while.

Terrik

Terrik

Huh. That time already huh? Seems like yesterday I watched Spain @ 3am in a Shenyang bar.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Mexico loves the USA forever and ever.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Glad someone likes us.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Just waiting for Friday... and finally subbing to the thread with this post... and just waiting in general right now got somewhere to go in a few minutes.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Draw going on now...

Piotyr

Piotyr

Germany, Ghana, Portugal, USA.

Yep.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Group of Death. *Sigh*

A: Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon
B: Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia
C: Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast, Japan
D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy
E: Switzerland, Ecuador, France, Honduras
F: Argentina, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iran, Nigeria
G: Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA
H: Belgium, Algeria, Russia, South Korea

Jay

Jay

Poor Ghana

jwhouk

jwhouk

We're going to have to beat Portugal to get to the round of 16. Or Germany.

I'm not liking the odds.

Piotyr

Piotyr

We're going to have to beat Portugal to get to the round of 16. Or Germany.

I'm not liking the odds.
Or beat Ghana, draw Portugal, and keep it close against Germany. Germany might have nothing to play for by then as well, and the US could steal a point from them. The order of play works out nicely for the US, even if the travel doesn't.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Well, Brazil is a big country.

It's going to have to depend on how we do against Portugal - and we can't overlook Ghana.

I think I see why the World Cup is so freakin' hard to win - you get killed in the knockout round.

Piotyr

Piotyr

So, Landon Donovan left off the final USMNT roster.

For those who aren't familiar with soccer, that's like...LeBron James being cut from the US basketball roster for the Olympics, if LeBron were a couple years older, the Olympics were a bigger deal, and the US didn't have a team full of replacements better than the rest of the world.

Looks like Klinsmann opted to go with youth and athleticism, and wasn't too fond of Landon's attitude towards WC play.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Isn't he also getting on in years a bit? And in rather mediocre form this season?

Piotyr

Piotyr

Isn't he also getting on in years a bit? And in rather mediocre form this season?
He's 32, and took 2012 off because reasons. He'd been playing the past year leading up to the Cup, and played in the latter half of qualifying and was in at least decent form now. He's regularly been waffling about his dedication to the national team, and it looks like he paid for that.

bhamv3

bhamv3

He's 32, and took 2012 off because reasons. He'd been playing the past year leading up to the Cup, and played in the latter half of qualifying and was in at least decent form now. He's regularly been waffling about his dedication to the national team, and it looks like he paid for that.
Well, honestly, I can respect Jurgen's decision for that. If you don't want to play for the national team, there are probably twenty guys happy to take your place. And someone who wants to be there giving everything he's got is probably a better option than someone who doesn't want to be there, half-assing it.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Comparing Donovan to LeBron is a bit of a stretch. He's no Ronaldo or Messi.

LordRendar

LordRendar

I fear Germany is gonna fare bad this WC. Had a lackluster game against Poland and am not sure how we are gonna play against more agressive teams.

The Bundesliga is all fucked up , since no matter what Bayern Munich is gonna win everything and buy every talented player from the other clubs. There isnt any competition anymore,which leads to boring players and boring games.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I fear Germany is gonna fare bad this WC. Had a lackluster game against Poland and am not sure how we are gonna play against more agressive teams.

The Bundesliga is all fucked up , since no matter what Bayern Munich is gonna win everything and buy every talented player from the other clubs. There isnt any competition anymore,which leads to boring players and boring games.
Dude, Germany's got a really scary midfield. Reus, Ozil, Kroos, Muller, Gotze, Schweinsteiger...

They'll probably have to make up for the team's shortcomings in the striker department, but still... that's a terrifying collection of midfielders.

EDIT: Also, I said there're shortcomings in the striker department, but that's before I remembered Germany have Klose. A guy who seems to love to score at World Cups.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Meh. From what I have seen,they are underperforming at the moment. They probably will make it to the quarterfinals though. And then lose to Spain or England.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I want to export 10 million vuvuzuelas to Brazil...

jwhouk

jwhouk

If "The Yanks" get out of their group, it'll be a miracle.

If they actually win a game in the knockout round, it'll be like we won the title.

Jay

Jay

Anyone else think hosting this in Brazil is a terrible decision?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Anyone else think hosting this in Brazil is a terrible decision?
At the very least they have a footballing tradition. Qatar? That's just FIFA at it's most corrupt.

Jay

Jay

At the very least they have a footballing tradition. Qatar? That's just FIFA at it's most corrupt.
I've read that countless workers have been killed and are literally being held hostage.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Eh, it's been said plenty of times: soccer is 22 people running behind a ball for 90 minutes, and in the end, the Germans win.

For some reason people around here are actually believen Belgium's got a title shot. We've got a godo team this year, and we should be able to get past the first round and possibly the second, depending on our competitor (We've proven we can win from Portugal, I'm not actually afraid of the US, no offense, but we'd lose to Germany). Further than that? Yeah right.

And yes, in Qatar, there's 0% unemployment amongst the Qatarese because they're all given scholarships-for-life aka "being maintained by the state for life"...And everything and anything is done by borderline-slave-labor...And only "borderline" because the Red Cross and similar occasionally manage to rescue a few.

Jay

Jay

Looks like FIFA is looking into doing a revote for 2022.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Looks like FIFA is looking into doing a revote for 2022.
On the one hand, this seems like a good decision considering all the especially shady things going on re: the Qatar bid and the horrible stories about what the workers are going through (and the heat, of course).

On the other hand, this would also probably mean that various FIFA officials would get a bonus round of accepting under-the-table bribes because that's how they've done business for years.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Am I the only one who thinks doing a revote would massively undermine FIFA's authority, and may open the doors to individual nations breaking off and forming their own organization? I mean, UEFA might actually do it.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

At another time, or even a year from now, I think that you would be correct. But right now, with the revelations about the payouts (bribes) being fresh would be the best time and show that they are trying to be honest at least.

mikerc

mikerc

If they do have a revote it will need to be absolutely 100% fair without even the slightest hint of bribery or other foul play because if there is any Qatar will jump on it and try to cause FIFA as much trouble as they can to try and get reawarded the WC.

And you just know with FIFA being as corrupt as it is that there will be more bribery, even if it's not to the same scale as people are alleging the Qatar bid was.

mikerc

mikerc

Sony want to see an "Appropriate Investigation" into the Qatar bid.

Be interesting to see if any other WC sponsors follow Sony's lead & if so how FIFA reacts.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Get to know the 2014 US Men's National Team:

EDIT: There's one for each player if you go to the Youtube channel.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Get to know the 2014 US Men's National Team:

EDIT: There's one for each player if you go to the Youtube channel.
Clint Dempsey is from a small town in East Texas about 30 minutes from me.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Were we going to do a WC Pick'em? There's one already going on Yahoo.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Sony want to see an "Appropriate Investigation" into the Qatar bid.

Be interesting to see if any other WC sponsors follow Sony's lead & if so how FIFA reacts.
Visa and Adidas have also called for investigations.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I created a group for anyone to join: Halforums World Cup.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I created a group for anyone to join: Halforums World Cup.
... Huh, I just realized I don't remember my Yahoo account. Damn.

Null

Null

- graffiti in Brazil.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Covar

Covar

Way to play up the stereotype.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I've read that countless workers have been killed and are literally being held hostage.
Over 900 dead and counting. On course for at least 4000.

Brazil had a 8 workers die and that is 8 too many.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Jesus Christ! Is that referee Spanish?! That wasn't a penalty at all (very clearly visible in replay that he literally didn't touch the other player), and that yellow card was....a bit easily given, considering what he hasn't whistled for so far.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Netherlands blew up Spain. That was freaking awesome. Not ragging on Spain, but they just about guaranteed that they aren't winning their group.

Jay

Jay

As someone cheering for Italy... :)

bhamv3

bhamv3

I did not see that thrashing coming. At all.

Piotyr

Piotyr

North American teams looking good so far this World Cup.

Null

Null

Remember: If we win, the rest of you have to start calling it Soccer, too.

Just Me

Just Me

Remember: If we win, the rest of you have to start calling it Soccer, too.
Fussball bitte, soviel Zeit muss sein!
:p

jwhouk

jwhouk

I guess we know who HE'S rooting for in the Group of Death.

mikerc

mikerc

How boring was Phil Neville's commentary for the Italy game? Even the police are mocking him for it!

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm going to admit something - even though I do have a general idea of who's better than whom in footy, I did rely a lot on the Yahoo fan picks in making my preliminary round game choices.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Ready for Ghana:

BErt

Man, this Germany vs [Goal Differential for Teams Not Named Germany] game is so good for the US

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

*sigh*

/inhale

NO ONE CARES THAT YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT THE WORLD CUP!!!! SHUT YOUR CAKE HOLE YOU SELFISH ATTENTION-WHORING JACKASS!!

/inhale

Seriously. The same thing happened for the Super Bowl. My twitter & FB feeds fill up with posts of people making sure that we all know how little they care about the latest sporting event. Great! Shut up! Keep it to yourself. I'll remember it next time you're droning on about the next installment of twilight or 50 shades of whatever.

The Super Bowl not as much, but realize that with the WC, by some estimates, you are actually in the minority worldwide in not caring about it.

*Not directed at anyone in particular on this board

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Man, this Germany vs [Goal Differential for Teams Not Named Germany] game is so good for the US
Seriously. This is something we can capitalize on tonight.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Damn, Germany destroyed Portugal.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Holy lensflare Batman!

BErt

Daaaaaaamn Dempsey!!

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

USA 2-Ghana 1

Jay

Jay

*sigh*

/inhale

NO ONE CARES THAT YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT THE WORLD CUP!!!! SHUT YOUR CAKE HOLE YOU SELFISH ATTENTION-WHORING JACKASS!!

/inhale

Seriously. The same thing happened for the Super Bowl. My twitter & FB feeds fill up with posts of people making sure that we all know how little they care about the latest sporting event. Great! Shut up! Keep it to yourself. I'll remember it next time you're droning on about the next installment of twilight or 50 shades of whatever.

The Super Bowl not as much, but realize that with the WC, by some estimates, you are actually in the minority worldwide in not caring about it.

*Not directed at anyone in particular on this board
Seriously, this only happens with football.

I wonder if I should do this whenever someone posts comments about basketball or baseball.

jwhouk

jwhouk

How about them Spurs?

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

How about them Spurs?
Well, my heels do hurt on days that I have more than usual time on my feet, but overall I have found ways to alleviate most of the.... what? (whisper..whisper..whisper)

Oh. Sorry. Never-mind.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Boo-yah Belgians. Except I guessed 3-1. And the Russians and South Koreans did what I wanted them to.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Looks like Dave and mroosc79 and myself are pulling away from the pack.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I predicted a pair of 7-0 wins for England in their next two matches. I can state with 100% confidence that none of you did that. Now all I need to do is somehow ensure England win 7-0 for two straight games, and that's six easy points for me in the bag.

Rovewin

Rovewin

I'm staying somewhat close for only getting one score right while the rest of you got 5. Stupid greece giving up at the end losing me those 2 extra points grumble grumble

Anyway that was a fun match to watch between Brazil and Mexico. That Goalie! If they didn't have Spain or the Netherlands after group, I think Mexico would get pretty far.

bhamv3

bhamv3

As a guy watching the World Cup in Taiwan, I'd just like to say that this is totally true.

fans.jpg

LordRendar

LordRendar

I remember watching the WC when I was living in the Philippines at around 2 or 3 am.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I don't even have to change time zones for most of the matches. Brazil is pretty much on Central Time in the US.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

As a guy watching the World Cup in Taiwan, I'd just like to say that this is totally true.

View attachment 15108
Careful, Bhamv3! :p

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/chinese-soccer-fan-dies-sleep-deprivation-article-1.1832532

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I don't even have to change time zones for most of the matches. Brazil is pretty much on Central Time in the US.
Brazil should be at least one hour ahead of New York. Also I doubt they are on Saving Time since they are in the tropics.

This is a pretty easy foreign sporting event to watch in America.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Poor Spain. hahaha

jwhouk

jwhouk

Cameroon needs to score here.

And LOLEspanola.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Dave

Dave

bhamv3

bhamv3

I hate every Uruguayan in the world right now. Every single one. I especially hate Luis Suarez, but every single other Uruguayan is also receiving my detestation at the moment. My rage is radiating from me like stink lines from a sketch of a pile of poo, and it's going to emanate its way to every Uruguayan in the world, and cause them misfortune for the rest of the day.

Also, I'm totally going to pronounce their country's name as "you are gay" from now one.

Terrik

Terrik

Another win closer to winning the football pool here at work.

Dave

Dave

ANd another 3 games played that I got totally wrong, allowing myself to fall into 2nd place.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Dave, we need to wise up and change it to a hockey pool or something. @bhamv3 and @mroosc1979 are wiping the floor with the rest of us.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Dave, we need to wise up and change it to a hockey pool or something. @bhamv3 and @mroosc1979 are wiping the floor with the rest of us.
Say what? Did you check the Premier League version of the game instead of the World Cup one?

jwhouk

jwhouk

I checked both. @mroosc1979 is wiping us all out. You had your One Shining Moment with the EPL.

Hell, I bet that if we had an MLS league, you'd probably beat us in that, too.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Ah, gotcha. I was all like, "But I'm sucking in the World Cup game so far!"

Bubble181

Bubble181

Go Costa Rica!

...At least France is doing what they're supposed to.

Jay

Jay

I support Italy and all but honestly after watching EVERY soccer game so far... they are probably one of the least entertaining to watch play.

Rovewin

Rovewin

I support Italy and all but honestly after watching EVERY soccer game so far... they are probably one of the least entertaining to watch play.
I think there have been a bunch of boring looking teams playing but of the ones most likely to go through(minus group H) I agree.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Iran's 11 man defense finally cracked in extra time. I have never seen a team commit so wholly to defense, without a lead, ever. You could tell they were playing just for the draw from the first minute.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Okay, that explains why they have no goals in group play.

Do they even bother to cross center line?

jwhouk

jwhouk

I believe they would say on that last shot by Bosnia-Herzegovinia, "IT HIT THE POST!"

I got three points out of that one. :)

Dave

Dave

GAAAAAH! So fucking close!

Germany/US playing for a draw, I think.

BErt

...fuck

Dave

Dave

I know, right? I has 2-1 US in the pool! Portugal cost me my three points, damn it!

BErt

I know, right? I has 2-1 US in the pool! Portugal cost me my three points, damn it!
History's greatest injustice.

Seriously though, I do think they draw with Germany. And if we lose we can still root for the draw or low Portugal win so it's not completely horrible. But maaaaaan...it was right there!

jwhouk

jwhouk

This week is going to be garbage week in the World Cup. Look out for some serious 11-man defense play and desperation moves.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Have I mentioned how much I hate Time Warner Cable?

From the 40' mark on, all I get is audio. Oh I get perfectly fine picture when the locally generated ads come on. All the other channels are fine as well.

So I switch to the ESPN app on my XBone. Only problem is the feed is about 90 seconds behind, because I'm getting reports of "GOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLL!!" in the chatroom I'm in way ahead of when I can see it. Not to mention when it lagged out on me once & I got to see the same goal kick about 4 times in the span of two minutes.

Seems that the problem was pretty widespread in the Louisville/Lexington/Cincy area for TWC customers.

Unfortunately, they're the only internet game in town :mad:

Terrik

Terrik

Aw :([DOUBLEPOST=1403484197,1403484164][/DOUBLEPOST]A tie isn't the worst thing in the world though.

Piotyr

Piotyr

40 minutes in, a tie would have made me happy.

95 minutes win, a tie leaves me distraught.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Aw :([DOUBLEPOST=1403484197,1403484164][/DOUBLEPOST]A tie isn't the worst thing in the world though.
It is when you're in the Group of Death.

The good thing is, Germany has no reason to play for anything other than a draw.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

You know soccer is growing in US popularity when even Teddy Roosevelt is getting in on the action.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

OK - so which of you smart guys out there wants to tell me how FIFA's tiebreaker system works?

Somehow - if USA loses & Ghana wins (thus both having 4 points), Ghana can get through on goal differential even though the US beat them in the head-to-head matchup.

How does that make any sense?

Simplest Scenarios
- Germany:
Advance with win/draw vs. USA
- United States: Advance with win/draw vs. GER
- Portugal: Advance with win vs. GHA AND GER/USA do not tie, IF POR wins tiebreak with loser (see below)
- Ghana: Advance with win vs. POR AND GER/USA do not tie, IF GHA wins tiebreak with loser (see below)
U.S. Scenarios
- Win/draw vs. Germany
- Loss and Portugal-Ghana draw
- Loss and win tiebreaker vs. Portugal-Ghana winner
Updated Soccer Power Index odds to advance:
(All the group percentages available at fivethirtyeight.com)
- Germany: 99.7 percent
- United States: 75.8 percent
- Ghana: 19.1 percent
- Portugal: 5.4 percent
Tiebreakers
If the United States loses, Ghana would qualify instead if either game is decided by a margin of two goals or more. If the U.S. loses by one goal, Ghana would need to win by two goals or be involved in a higher-scoring one-goal win. For instance, a 1-0 scoreline in both games would put the United States through on head-to-head. So, if the U.S. loses 1-0, then Ghana must win 2-1 to qualify on goals scored.
To surpass the U.S., Portugal will need a goal-difference swing of five (head-to-head is level). So for instance, Portugal would need to win 3-0 and U.S. lose 2-0, among other equivalent scorelines. The teams will draw lots if goal difference is identical (this would happen with a 3-0 U.S. defeat and a 2-0 Portugal win, for example).

Piotyr

Piotyr

Because head to head only comes into play as a tiebreaker after goal differential and goals scored.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Does it go

1) Group points
2) Goal differential
3) Head-to-Head
4) Total goals scored
5) Tiebreaker match

or does goals scored come before head-to-head? I was never clear on that part.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Goals scored comes before head-to-head.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

I understand that's the way the rules are set - but how does that make any sense? I believe FIFA is the only one who does it this way.

If it comes down to me & you are tied, and I beat you the only time we played each other, how can anything else possibly come into play?

I guess I should expect nothing better from an organization that will have 2-game playoffs with something like "Goals scored on the road" as a tiebreaker

jwhouk

jwhouk

The worst thing about the World Cup is probably the organization that runs it.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I understand that's the way the rules are set - but how does that make any sense? I believe FIFA is the only one who does it this way.

If it comes down to me & you are tied, and I beat you the only time we played each other, how can anything else possibly come into play?

I guess I should expect nothing better from an organization that will have 2-game playoffs with something like "Goals scored on the road" as a tiebreaker
Suppose you, me, and a third party (let's call him Joe) form a three-team mini-league, and we each play each other once.

For the first game, I beat you 1-0.

Then, for the next two games, Joe beats me 2-0, while you beat Joe 5-0.

Who's the best team and who's the worst team in this mini-league?

mikerc

mikerc

Possibly to encourage attacking football, yes you can sit back & defend that one goal lead but if you keep attacking and win by three or four then that can drastically help your chances of qualifying. And considering the occasional dull as dishwater periods football goes through where teams think defence is all is that really such a bad idea?

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Suppose you, me, and a third party (let's call him Joe) form a three-team mini-league, and we each play each other once.

For the first game, I beat you 1-0.

Then, for the next two games, Joe beats me 2-0, while you beat Joe 5-0.

Who's the best team and who's the worst team in this mini-league?
At this point - you have a 3-way tie where A>B, B>C & C>A. THIS is what things like differential & total goals scored are for. But when there are two teams involved in the tie, there is no excuse to not use H2H result as the first tie breaker.

The ONLY reasoning, as mroosc said above, is to discourage slow play - in order to make what many already consider a "boring" sport even more so. But at the expense of the team who "earned" the advantage of being able to "slow play" by winning the H2H matchup.

Of course, the obvious answer is - don't lose. Easier said than done.

Null

Null

I guess I'm deeply amused at the relative success that the USMNT is having. Why? Because most Americans don't give a shit about them or the World Cup. The National Teams from Ghana and Portugal? Those guys are stars in their home countries the same way that NASCAR drivers are in most of the southern United States. And our team is competing against these teams and having a very solid chance of advancing or eliminating others, without the country as a whole giving a fuck about it. I think that's really funny. "We'll crush your nation's football hopes and dreams, just as kind of a goof." You'd think, with as much love of soccer as the USA shows by and large, that our national team would be terrible. And that would be kind of appropriate, and a nice counterpoint to our generally arrogant world presence. "Yeah, you Americans have fucked up half the world over the last century, but at least you suck at football!" I mean, the UK loves football. They're passionate about it, they have leagues and dozens of professional teams and pubs dedicated to those teams, with songs and chants and assault charges to show their passion for their team. And they're already out. And the US Men's National Team is ready to advance. And that makes me smile.

jwhouk

jwhouk

You need to go to a Sounders game. They're more beloved in the city than the Seahawks.

bhamv3

bhamv3

At this point - you have a 3-way tie where A>B, B>C & C>A. THIS is what things like differential & total goals scored are for. But when there are two teams involved in the tie, there is no excuse to not use H2H result as the first tie breaker.

The ONLY reasoning, as mroosc said above, is to discourage slow play - in order to make what many already consider a "boring" sport even more so. But at the expense of the team who "earned" the advantage of being able to "slow play" by winning the H2H matchup.

Of course, the obvious answer is - don't lose. Easier said than done.
Here's the thing though, advancement from the group stage is based on your performance overall in the group. When two teams are tied on points, they don't want to just look at how they did against each other, they also want to look at how they did overall.

Suppose in a four-team group, Team A beat Team B 1-0. Team A then loses its next two matches 10-0.

Team B, after losing that first match against Team A, wins its next match 5-0, then narrowly loses its third match 3-2.

The two teams are now equal on 3 points. Based on head-to-head results, it would appear that Team A is better than Team B. But based on overall results in the group, Team B performed better than Team A.

Terrik

Terrik

Welp, I might stay up for this "last" England game tonight.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

The two teams are now equal on 3 points. Based on head-to-head results, it would appear that Team A is better than Team B. But based on overall results in the group, Team B performed better than Team A.
Except, you know, for that one time when Team A actually played & beat Team B.

In this scenario, not paying attention to anything else, both teams are 1-1-1 with 4 points. Things like differential & goals scored can't take into account things like the fact that Germany got to play a half a game up a man. Or that the US had to play Portugal in the jungle of Manaus, while Ghana will get them in Brasilia. Meanwhile what we DO know is that the one time that both teams played against one another, in the same stadium under the same conditions, the US beat Ghana.

Obviously FIFA wants to encourage attacking. But why even bother with worrying about who wins each game? Why not just keep ranking based to total goals scored. Just go out there & score as many goals as you can. No defense. Just play kickball back and forth & take target practice - just like the old days of indoor soccer.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Except, you know, for that one time when Team A actually played & beat Team B.
Maybe Team A had a guy out injured, who only returned in the second and third games. Maybe Team A just tend to start slowly at tournaments. Maybe Team B's tactics are particularly effective against Team A, but aren't as useful against other teams.

My point is, the idea behind using goal difference and goals scored is that you can then look at the overall performance in the group or league.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Yes - your points all seem to lean toward the "what if" games.

What if -

Team B's best player got a red card in game 1 & couldn't play game 2 vs Team A?
Team A is better suited against the 4-3-3 that team C plays than the 4-4-2 of team B?
The referee gives a controversial PK to team B against team C that results in a goal?

You hear phrases in sports. A common one starts with "On paper,..." On paper, Spain is one of the top teams in the world & should have no problem advancing past the group stage. There's a followup to this phrase. "That's why the games aren't played on paper". If we played your "What if/Maybe" game - then why play the games at all since we should know how they'll turn out right?

The only way FIFAs tiebreaker system makes sense if that it artificially promotes exciting play by giving Team B a second chance.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Hmm, I feel like I'm not articulating my point very well.

Okay, let me phrase it this way: The current FIFA system gives a bigger sample size of events and accomplishments, to produce a more accurate gauge of which team is better. So yes, there may be situations that happen in individual games (injuries, bans, tactical quirks), but the idea is that over the course of three games, or more if you're playing in a league, these issue will be mitigated, and the bumps in the statistics will be smoothed out.

So, for example, Team A may fluke a win over Team B, but it's less likely Team A will be able to fluke three straight wins.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Obviously we disagree here bhamv. :eek:

I get the point you're making. But if they want to use a bigger sample size, then get a bigger sample size. The WC format allows for 3 group games. Flukes happen, but in a 3 game format you can't just wash it away as a fluke. All teams come in with the same 3 chances to prove themselves, and if you take a loss, fluke or not, you shouldn't be given 2nd chances to wash it away. Club seasons are designed to give a large enough sample size with more teams & more games to balance out. 3 games over 12 days does not.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Eh, oh well.

On a completely unrelated note, there's a really hot girl I know who's taunting me mercilessly, because she's from Ecuador and they're doing pretty well this World Cup, while my team England are out. She's never forgiven me for all the gloating I did when England beat Ecuador in the 2006 World Cup.

But she's hot, so it's all okay.

Terrik

Terrik

Eh, oh well.

On a completely unrelated note, there's a really hot girl I know who's taunting me mercilessly, because she's from Ecuador and they're doing pretty well this World Cup, while my team England are out. She's never forgiven me for all the gloating I did when England beat Ecuador in the 2006 World Cup.

But she's hot, so it's all okay.
Tell us more.

Sun ZhongShan commands it.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Well, this girl's from my university days. In the year below me, but we took a few classes together. Being from Ecuador, she speaks English with a strong South American accent.

Now, have you guys ever noticed a phenomenon where when you're talking to someone with an accent, you start to subconsciously mimic their pronunciations? That's what happened whenever she talked to me. I'd start responding in a heavy Latin accent, and she'd assume I'm making fun of her, and she'd kick me in the shins.

Now, these South Americans, they take their soccer seriously. They start playing it at a very young age. A lot of them can kick a ball really hard and really far from their pre-teens onwards. My point is that, when this girl kicked me in the shins, it hurt. A lot.

Anyway, we haven't seen each other since graduation, but right now I'm getting quite a few Facebook messages along the lines of "Ha ha, bye bye England!"

Null

Null

Well, you have something to talk with her about. That's always good. Friendships are hard to maintain once you realize you don't have much to talk to the other person about.

Jay

Jay

An embarrassment of a game between Uruguay/Italy.

Italy... like idiots they ARE... played for the tie. Why? Because Italy is Italy.

Red card for a bad tackle... harsh but whatever... however a player gets BITTEN and no officials saw that? Even in this day and age... with all the technology where EVERYONE not wearing a zebra shirt can see this but THEY can't? Time to change how Refs work. Should have been a Red card.

Italy got jobbed but they didn't deserve to move on.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Red card for a bad tackle... harsh but whatever... however a player gets BITTEN and no officials saw that? Even in this day and age... with all the technology where EVERYONE not wearing a zebra shirt can see this but THEY can't? Time to change how Refs work. Should have been a Red card.
Welcome to what every football fan has been saying for some twenty years now. Ridiculous.

Dave

Dave

Like the handball during the Mexico game yesterday? Mexico still ended up winning 3-1, but at the time it was 0-0.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Another "Hand of God", hey?

BErt

*closes eyes*

*holds breath*

Dave

Dave

Watching both games and holding breath as well.

mikerc

mikerc

Guys? You can breath again.

BErt

*opens eyes*
*breathes*

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*dies anyway*

Dave

Dave

Hell yeah we can! Bring it, Belgium!

mikerc

mikerc

*opens eyes*
*breathes*

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*dies anyway*
*Pokes BErt with a stick*

There's still a black market for dead bodies right?

Cog

Cog

All this breath holding is for love to the game or love to the country?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

country.

Dave

Dave

I love world cup soccer. It's just a bonus that the US is starting to get better at it. Belgium is going to be a hard match, though. And if we get past them we have (probably) Argentina!

Piotyr

Piotyr

I love world cup soccer. It's just a bonus that the US is starting to get better at it. Belgium is going to be a hard match, though. And if we get past them we have (probably) Argentina!
If I had to rank the remaining 16 teams...

1. Netherlands
2. Brazil
3. Germany
4. France
5. Argentina
6. Colombia
7. Chile
8. Belgium
9. USA
10. Costa Rica
11. Uruguay
12. Mexico
13. Switzerland
14. Russia/Algeria winner
15. Nigeria
16. Greece

So...it could have been worse for the US. Any group winner is an uphill climb.

Dave

Dave

An Algeria win over Russia and a loss by Belgium would be best for the US. I think we'd have a harder time beating Belgium than Algeria.

Piotyr

Piotyr

...but don't take my word for it.

BErt

All this breath holding is for love to the game or love to the country?
I love world cup soccer. It's just a bonus that the US is starting to get better at it.
This, I guess. I love World Cup soccer. I've tried - really really - tried to care about soccer when it isn't World Cup and it's just missing something. I also don't watch swimming or gymnastics when the Olympics aren't around so if you want to just call it blind love of country I guess that's fair. It's a hell of a lot of fun whatever way you want to cut it.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I have a feeling that Belgium may be... under tested? Their group was pretty much the "Group of Cake" for them - swept all three teams.

I have it here that USMNT advances on penalty kicks.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Coulter: Any growing interest in soccer a sign of nation's moral decay

Usually I'd dismiss this as being too insane to be serious, but it's Ann Coulter, so...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Coulter: Any growing interest in soccer a sign of nation's moral decay

Usually I'd dismiss this as being too insane to be serious, but it's Ann Coulter, so...
...it's still too insane to be serious.

tegid

tegid

It really seems satyrical but... it doesn't really fit with the author, right? In any case, I laughed a bit at some parts.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I say we perma-ban @Bubble181 for allowing his country to get in the way of ours.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yeah. I think USA-Belgium's an exciting match-up, because while obviously the better team will win (hint: it's a country with crappy unworking politics and a couple of posters here are from there :p), it's fairly open. No matter which one of us goes through, though, Argentina we're not beating.

Terrik

Terrik

Yeah. I think USA-Belgium's an exciting match-up, because while obviously the better team will win (hint: it's a country with crappy unworking politics and a couple of posters here are from there :p), it's fairly open. No matter which one of us goes through, though, Argentina we're not beating.

Good luck. I'm just happy we got so far.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm not.

BEAT THE BELGIANS!

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

obviously the better team will win (hint: it's a country with crappy unworking politics and a couple of posters here are from there :p)
Sooo, Team USA then? Fair 'nuff.

evilmike

evilmike

It looks like tomorrow's game is serious business:

Waffle House wants us to boycott Belgian waffles for Team USA

bhamv3

bhamv3

It looks like tomorrow's game is serious business:

Waffle House wants us to boycott Belgian waffles for Team USA
Or rename waffles "freedom pancakes".

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Hell it would seem better to eat waffles instead...

Bubble181

Bubble181

Argghhh, dammit Switserland! You deserved it! Oooohhhh such a shame. I hope the next match will be as exciting...But...Well, we'll see. May the best team win!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Oh, hey, the best team won :troll:

Great match, good plays on both sides. It's not fair putting Clark Kent in the goal though, and that beard isn't fooling anyone.
(Absolute WC record - most shots-on-goal caught by a keeper. Congrats. If only the Belgians could actually learn to finish those actions a bit more often, we might actually have a shot against Argentina.)

So how many Americans discovered where Belgium is on a map today? :p

bhamv3

bhamv3

Oh, hey, the best team won :troll:

Great match, good plays on both sides. It's not fair putting Clark Kent in the goal though, and that beard isn't fooling anyone.
(Absolute WC record - most shots-on-goal caught by a keeper. Congrats. If only the Belgians could actually learn to finish those actions a bit more often, we might actually have a shot against Argentina.)

So how many Americans discovered where Belgium is on a map today? :p
Belgium... that's in Minnesota, isn't it?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Belgium... that's in Minnesota, isn't it?
Illionois, between Georgetown and Danville, actually.

Dave

Dave

I only know them because of their waffles.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I only know them because of their waffles.
Don't forget the beer and fries. And chocolate. Anything edible out of Belgium's going to be worth it, really. Not much else ;)

jwhouk

jwhouk

You... you BELGIUM!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Now, now. There's no need for foul language. ;)

Bubble181

Bubble181

Hey, statistically speaking*, Belgium has the least-beaten goalie (2 goals in 7 or 8 WC matches) and the most active offense (87 shots on goal in 4 matches) on the Championship...And if we win from Argentina, because of the way the FIFA ranking works, we'll actually be #1 in the world (theoretically, and only until the Semin-finals arep layed, but still). Ridiculous.

Still, to put things in perspective - the fastest player on the field was Vertonghen, at 31.7 kph. Robben (of the Dutchies) ran at 37.6 kph in their match against Spain. We've still got a ways to go :p

*I'm 100% aware the numbers don't line up with actual sportswise qualities

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I know the US overachieved, but the actual World Cup results just kept getting progressively more brutal

Beat Ghana, yay
Saddest tie in history
Slog with Germany, felt like backing into round of 16
That Horseshit Yesterday

Dave

Dave

Charlie, I love you. But you are wrong.

Beat a good Ghana team that has beaten us consistently. It was a great win.
A little hyperbolic. We tied a really good team with one of the best players in the world and THEY had to come from behind to do it.
Germany and the US showed how the travel arrangements and fatigue plays a large part. And we STILL only lost 1-0. That's to a team that many think could win it all.
That "horseshit" yesterday was a study in defense and heart for our US team. You can't take that away from them.

So I respectfully disagree.

blotsfan

blotsfan

A study in defense? You mean a study in Tim Howard is amazing and our defense is atrocious.

Dave

Dave

A study in defense? You mean a study in Tim Howard is amazing and our defense is atrocious.
Is there really a difference? What if the defensive line had been stronger and Tim had had to do nothing? 0 goals at the end of regulation is still a staunch defense no matter how it was achieved. And it wasn't our defense that sucked but our midrange and attacking ball control.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Watching team USA reminded me a lot of a Predators game.

Great goaltending, not a lot of offense, try to come back after giving up a lead late.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Yeah, the defense did what they could, but when your midfield keeps giving possession away, there's only so much your defenders can do to stem the tide.

In the second half, the US basically parked the bus and gave up attacking. You can't do that against the likes of Belgium, they'll carve you up.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

American coverage of the match said:
The Belgian Bubble has been burst.
Dude, I hope you are OK @Bubble181

...and how did they know?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Alas, 'twas but my brother. RIP, Bubble182.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Tyler knew!!

BErt

uh...what the hell just happened to Brazil?

Dave

Dave

Jesus fuck! I thought the game started now so I missed the first 1/2 hour...and FIVE GOALS?!?

BErt

yeah and all within like two minutes of each other in the middle of the half. I'm at work so I'm only following the gamecast and its just exclamation points everywhere. WOW

Just Me

Just Me

Oh dear, oh god, oh my...

Wild mixture between national pride, Schadenfreude and sorry for Brasil...

General Specific

General Specific

This just reminds me of Space Jam when the aliens stole the basketball skills of all the stars, only it's Brazil's team this time.

Looney Tunes in: Space GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

chris

chris

This just reminds me of Space Jam when the aliens stole the basketball skills of all the stars, only it's Brazil's team this time.

Looney Tunes in: Space GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAL!!!!!!!!!!!!
So Bill Murray will appear in the second half? Also, who else think that Germany vs. Netherlands will be the final?

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

jwhouk

jwhouk

(Raises hand)

Dave

Dave

So Bill Murray will appear in the second half? Also, who else think that Germany vs. Netherlands will be the final?
I didn't know Dan Aykroyd was in this picture!

And I had Germany/Argentina.

chris

chris

But Germany/Netherlands would be a great 40th anniversary

chris

chris

0-6

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Holy crap Brazil.

Just Me

Just Me

0-7...

chris

chris

0-7. Maybe we can even break a record here.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

My call is Germany v Argentina. Expected a German win today, but only by like 2-1, not this absolute demolishing that is currently 0-7. It's like Brasil forgot how to play defense.

Dave

Dave

Anyone call 1-7 as the final score? No?

chris

chris

And its over, Germany in the final round with 1-7.

Dave

Dave

Makes the 1-0 US loss against them look pretty good, doesn't it?

Just Me

Just Me

Seems like poor Neymar was more important than they believed, morally and physically.
And of course Manuel Neuer did a great job to catch those few chances Brasil managed in the second half.

Dave

Dave

Seems like poor Neymar was more important than they believed, morally and physically.
And of course Manuel Neuer did a great job to catch those few chances Brasil managed in the second half.
Shit, I feel bad because I thought Neymar was flopping and faking the back injury to kill time in the match. I was very, very wrong, of course. Made me stop calling everything a flop.

Just Me

Just Me

0-7. Maybe we can even break a record here.
Record broken, that is the new highest win in a World Cup semi final. The old one was 6:1, germany vs austria 1954.

Dave

Dave

LordRendar

LordRendar

Holy crap,that was a crazy game.

/snip/media]
Ofcourse the first comment is some idiot saying "Sieg Heil". Wish we could invent a way to punch someone in the balls over the internet.

Dave

Dave

You read the comments? What the hell were you thinking?!?

LordRendar

LordRendar

Glutton for punishment

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'm so happy I was born in Germany and can switch to rooting for them when Belgium's out :p

jwhouk

jwhouk

That was like the equivalent of a 42-6 drubbing in a conference championship game in the NFL.

Dave

Dave

Where the 6 was almost a pity score.

General Specific

General Specific

That was like the equivalent of a 43-8 drubbing in the Superbowl.
Fixed that for ya. ;)

General Specific

General Specific

This probably sums up how every Brazilian fan is feeling right now.

enhanced-28984-1404855514-25.jpg

LordRendar

LordRendar

I loved how Manuel Neuer was like "Eh,whatever" when Brazil scored that goal.

Dave

Dave

In the second half the Brazil fans were cheering for the Germans. You could see them clapping when the 6th & 7th goals were scored. And they still went nuts when Brazil scored their goal, which I thought was pretty classy.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Three-way tie atop the contest going into the stretch!!!

Dave

Dave

This probably sums up how every Brazilian fan is feeling right now.

View attachment 15278
And then what does he do...?

General Specific

General Specific

Netherlands vs Argentina summed up so far:

They are kicking the ball down the field, oh the other team got it. Now the other team is kicking the ball and they gave it away. Here comes the ball back down the field and they are setting up a shot-no, it was blocked.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Did I happen to mention how much I dislike the shootout in hockey?

Well, "penalty kicks" in soccer = shootout in hockey.

PLAY TIL SOMEONE SCORES, #### IT.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Bah, I was hoping for an all-European final.

Just Me

Just Me

Bah, I was hoping for an all-European final.
Well, english immigrants brought the sport to Argentina in the first place. Not sure how the german immigrants after WW2 influenced this... *ouch* :whistling:

GF will go to a public viewing on sunday, I'll stay at home for a quiet TV experience.
I already had my honking car freakout tour for World Cup winners back in 1990.
:)

tegid

tegid

Did I happen to mention how much I dislike the shootout in hockey?

Well, "penalty kicks" in soccer = shootout in hockey.

PLAY TIL SOMEONE SCORES, #### IT.
Part of the problem is that as players become more and more tired, chances of a goal go down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_goal#Association_football

bhamv3

bhamv3

Plus it creates an uneven playing field for the next round of matches. I'd rather be the team who gets to play someone who played 600 minutes in their last match, rather than 90. In contrast, the difference between 90 minutes and 120 minutes isn't as large.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Maybe in extra time / after extra time, they should allow infinite substitutions? Give a team credit for having a deep bench.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Maybe in extra time / after extra time, they should allow infinite substitutions? Give a team credit for having a deep bench.
I'm scared, because I agree with Charlie on this one. Unlimited substitution in "Extra Time", "Golden Goal" ("sudden death"), and no stoppage time add-ons to 15-minute periods, unless there is an injury, and then only and always 5 extra minutes.

General Specific

General Specific

Personally, I want them to go to the penalty kicks sooner. Neither team could score in regulation, so just decide it quickly rather than play a set of mini rounds where (judging from the last few rounds) is likely to go to PKs anyway.

Jay

Jay

Not a fan of shoot outs as well

Null

Null

So, it comes down to the Germans, and a country that was built by exiled German war criminals. Interesting.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Stealing Ricky Gervais jokes are we?

Null

Null

Not intentionally, but that does sound like something he'd say, and apparently did.

Just Me

Just Me

So, it comes down to the Germans, and a country that was built by exiled German war criminals. Interesting.
Well, a german helped them build up their air force after the war, but not their soocer.
And I bet Galland was more showing off and grandstanding than really doing a proper post war job. ;)

That being said, I'm (well, have to be) carefully optimistic for my country on sunday.

Dave

Dave

I'm calling it soocer from now on. I'm pronouncing it like "sue-kerr".

chris

chris

What's going on Brasil? I'm 40 min late in the game but 0-2 for the Netherlands already.

Dave

Dave

They are fucking demoralized after the beating they took from Germany. Plus they've already stated the consolation game is stupid and that they didn't want to be there.

Just Me

Just Me

They are fucking demoralized after the beating they took from Germany. Plus they've already stated the consolation game is stupid and that they didn't want to be there.
Yeah, but so said the dutch as well. I really feel sorry for the Brazil guys, don't like the dutch.

chris

chris

Finally 1-0 Germany after 113 min.

chris

chris

And.... We got our fourth star. Germany is the first european country that won the world cup on south american ground.

Just Me

Just Me

And that win was hard-earned and well-deserved!

Fireworks in the neighbourhood, engines revving as people start to race to the nearest city to stand and honk in a giant traffic jam.

klew

klew

(making the internet rounds)

Dave

Dave

Waiting for the software to update. I had Germany 1-0 so I get 3 points. Will it be enough?!?

chris

chris

And that win was hard-earned and well-deserved!

Fireworks in the neighbourhood, engines revving as people start to race to the nearest city to stand and honk in a giant traffic jam.
Same here and I'm right now in a small village with maybe 2000 people.

Just Me

Just Me

Same here and I'm right now in a small village with maybe 2000 people.
Hehe, 1.200 peeps here.
But thanks, I had all this back in 1990 already. my gf now just needs to get the last train from the city, she wanted a public viewing once we made it to the final.

klew

klew

Comcast DVR stopped recording just when extra time started, because their tv schedule only reserved that block of time, not accounting for possible extra time, or even trophy presentation.

Dave

Dave

In the ESPN bracket predictions contest, I was in the top 200. Out of over a million. Not bad! I'd probably have come close to winning it had Spain gotten to the semis.

klew

klew

In the ESPN bracket predictions contest, I was in the top 200. Out of over a million. Not bad! I'd probably have come close to winning it had Spain gotten to the semis.
My best ESPN fantasy performance was the NFL Pigskin Pickem with point spread, ended #2 in the world, lost by one pick. I was double digits every week except one week in the first half of the season where I got 6, which is probably what lost it for me.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Phew. That game was bad for my heart. Was working at a pub where we had beamers and large tvs set up. We were biting our nails and almost had a heartattack each time Messi had a chance at a goal.

Well deserved win.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Heh, that is actually a more interesting term than our "projectors."

Null

Null

That was actually pretty exciting. I guess I have a lot to learn about soccer, I didn't realize the first 90 minutes were just the warm-up period. Seems like maybe they should just skip to the actual 30 minute game.

Just Me

Just Me

And our team comes home in style!

Special paintjob just for the trip home from Brazil.

Siegerflieger roughly translates as Winner's Plane

LordRendar

LordRendar

urg. the German team was so embarassing today... so cringeworthy.

Just Me

Just Me

I have no TV and due to work the gf's wasn'z running, so I cannot comment on that.
My guess: the first adrenaline rush after the game was gone and now they just felt like bad actors?

Just a last impression I just watched, the Siegerflieger making a fly-by with waggling wings over the waiting crowd in Berlin:

mikerc

mikerc

It's not fair putting Clark Kent in the goal though, and that beard isn't fooling anyone.
Look like he's merely mortal after all.