You might be an ass if...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A local sports radio morning show has a semi regular segment with the same name. There are some obvious behaviors that come to mind and then there are some less common things that people do that make you scratch your head and wonder if they were ever taught courtesy or manners. This isn't necessarily indicative that people ARE asses, just that they might be if they display the behaviors.

So what examples do you have? Here are the first three that came to mind for me.

Office - if you try entering the elevator before allowing people inside of it to exit first

Office - if you enter an elevator, see someone coming, and hurry to push the "close door" button so that they have to wait longer...even worse when there are a limited number of elevators

Grocery store - if you leave your cart in the middle of the aisle so that people going either way have a hard time going around you, the whole time yapping away on your phone so loud that people two aisles over can hear you

C

Chazwozel

A local sports radio morning show has a semi regular segment with the same name. There are some obvious behaviors that come to mind and then there are some less common things that people do that make you scratch your head and wonder if they were ever taught courtesy or manners. This isn't necessarily indicative that people ARE asses, just that they might be if they display the behaviors.

So what do you have?

Office - if you try entering the elevator before allowing people inside of it to exit first

Office - if you enter an elevator, see someone coming, and hurry to push the "close door" button so that they have to wait longer...even worse when there are a limited number of elevators

Grocery store - if you leave your cart in the middle of the aisle so that people going either way have a hard time going around you, the whole time yapping away on your phone so loud that people two aisles over can hear you
None of these things. Surprised? I know I am.

From my experience, M.D.s are the fucking worst with elevator etiquette. Funny story, as I was exiting out of an elevator I bowled a doctor over as he was rudely trying to rush in before everyone got off. Being 240 lbs and 6'1" has its advantages.

I try to be courteous at the elevator and let women in first. What gets me is when I wait, they don't go, so I take a step and THEN they decide to go. When they bump into me, I get the worst "go to hell" look. Sometimes I sarcastically say, "by all means, go ahead" and make a big, exaggerated gesture with a slight bow. Office divas/princesses are some of the worst.

Office/Deli - if you cut in line because you feel like you aren't entitled to wait like everyone else.

I actually had a situation this morning while I was in line to order at the deli downstairs. This girl walks up, cuts in front of me, and starts giving her order. The cook just looks at her and says "I think the guy you cut in front of was next". She pulled the silent, disgusted gasp face that over-indulged princesses-in-their-own-mind are prone to doing and kind of stomped off. I chuckled and he wrote my order down (he remembers it).

Home - You and your girlfriend get home from a vacation. You've had all day to do your fucking laundry but decided you needed to rest from your tiring trip to the Caribbean. You decide to tie up the machines moments before your room mate gets home from his 5th 12 hour shift in a row. He has to be at work again in 8 hours for one more, but he is out of uniforms. You tell him you'd rather let your own stuff get done because you are tired from the trip and want to be in bed. He doesn't punch you in the fucking face but he fucking waits for you to finish so he can do get his shit in. He waits patiently as you and your girlfriend watch his TV. By the time he is able to get his shit into the drier and go to bed, he's looking at 4-5 hours of sleep tops. You and your girlfriend continue to watch TV.

Maybe I should have posted this in the not so serious I want to rant thread.

HOME- If you keep eating the food made for the baby. WTF. Seriously. There's a cupboard full of shit here and you eat the straw berries I cut up for the kids lunch? Don't look so pissed off when I tell you to not do it wither and certainly don't ask me to make you lunch when I'm in the middle of ironing YOUR shirts.

GRAH!

you park your Prius in 2 parking spaces.

Also: if you drive a Prius.
I'll take it a step further and say if you park your car at an angle, over two or more spots, if you pull forward into a second spot, or if you park your car with the butt end of it sticking out so that traffic has to swerve out of the way.

...if you leave your shopping cart in the middle of a parking space, and doubly so if that parking space is ONE space over from the shopping cart bin! I'm a fat man and I'll walk my cart down to the bin AND push it in with the other carts to make more room.

Ugh, parking lots are full of them!

If you talk on your cellphone while in line at the grocery store or other place of business, then give the cashier or person behind the counter the one finger "Wait one minute" gesture so you can finish your phone call.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

No joke, I once encountered a shitbox "suped up" (It had a spoiler and some lights) Honda Civic parked accross two handicap parking spots; the middle of it blocking off the wheelchair ramp.

You wait until I'm almost right on you to pull out in front of me onto the road, forcing me to slam on my brakes hard. Then you go about 5-10 miles below the speed limit. And since I'm the guy right behind you, I'm the last one who gets a chance to pass you as everyone else behind me goes around us first.

The grocery store is not a playground, and letting your kids run through the aisles at full speeds while you completely ignore them is NOT cool. Put a leash on them and be a freakin' parent.

Necronic

Staff member
If you tailgate.

If you tailgate, and then when the person gets over, you don't pass them.

If you tailgate, and then when the person gets over, you pass them, cut in front of them, and slam on your brakes.

If you tailgate motorcyclists (seriously, this should be a felony offense)

If you are driving anything less than 10 over the speed limit in the hammer lane (traffic permitting)

If, when coming to a lane merging, you wait till the last minute to merge because there is no one in your lane.

If, when in a traffic jam, you drive on the shoulder to get past everyone.

If, when in a traffic jam, you move into an exit lane then re-merge.

If you drive a prius.

If you park ANYTHING that is not a compact car, in a compact only space. Your sedan....its NOT COMPACT

Chewing with your mouth open. It's nasty and rude. Doubly so if you start talking without covering your full mouth as well.

He's not a total ass, but a co worker stops at all the offices behind me and talks for 10 minutes at each door... The whole time he is jingling $3 worth of nickles and dimes in his pocket. I end up listening to an out of rhythm rendition of "Sleigh Ride" everyday that lasts for over half an hour.

if you ask someone's advice and then argue why their advice is wrong.

if I ask you if certain food is OK and then you complain about how much you don't like that kind of food.

Asking the waiter at a restaurant numerous questions about a particular dish, which takes forever, then ordering something else.

Restaurant -
- Not tipping at least 15% for a meal that came to you hot, on time, and which you ate in entirety
- Completely ignoring your screaming child while seated at your table (and yes, I know he's likely just trying to get attention, but it's still rude)
- Not at least making an attempt to keep your children at your table when eating
- Chewing gum while serving tables
- Not bringing food to the table hot, and then acting like it's the customer's fault when it isn't hot

Computer Helpdesk - customers/clients
- Walking in and assuming your problem is immediately the highest priority thing everyone should be doing
- Expecting the IT staff to do your papers/projects for you because you can't be bothered to actually learn how to use a computer
- Assuming all IT repair work should be free because you pay tuition
- Assuming that because you pay tuition you pay my salary and have a right to tell me how to do my job

grocery store/department store - if you wait until the clerk gives you your total before you take the checkbook out and start filling out the check. How about you fill the everything except the amount on the check while you wait? Inconsiderate jerks.

edit: location of offense updated

grocery store - if you wait until the clerk gives you your total before you take the checkbook out and start filling out the check. How about you fill the everything except the amount on the check while you wait? Inconsiderate jerks.

....Your grocery store takes cheques?

I do agree though, I hate when people don't have their wallet out, or even their cards out, ready to pay. Its particularly bad with certain women. Reason being that they have to go routing through their purse to find their wallet, while men generally just have to grab it from their pocket.

In a similar vain: standing in line for fast food or coffee and talking about how ridiculous the long line is, and not making a decision about what to order until you get to the counter. Ass.

fade

Staff member

Boston national pastime. Extra points if there's not actually a lane to the left.

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

Forum:
...you begin your post with "Um...".

If you expect to be taken to the back room and given a hand job because you regularly come to a target. Also, letting people know that you won't be shopping there anymore.

Every time someone would tell me they aren't coming back I wanted to make them swear to that.

I encountered an dink at the grocery store today who pushed her cart down the center of the parking lot lane with us driving slowly behind her. Then, as she was starting to move out of the way, the person with her moved from out of the way right into our driving path. I figure that counts as the behavior of an ass.

C

Chazwozel

If you talk on your cellphone while in line at the grocery store or other place of business, then give the cashier or person behind the counter the one finger "Wait one minute" gesture so you can finish your phone call.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

No joke, I once encountered a shitbox "suped up" (It had a spoiler and some lights) Honda Civic parked accross two handicap parking spots; the middle of it blocking off the wheelchair ramp.
Angeling parkers are the only people in my book that deserve a dent or keyed.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Boston national pastime. Extra points if there's not actually a lane to the left.

I do this all the time for merging lanes; NOT single lanes to a turning lane like the diagram shows. It's not my fault people are too stupid to use both lanes up to the merging point, but they get pissed off when I "cut" in front of them at the merge point.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

If you tailgate.

If you tailgate, and then when the person gets over, you don't pass them.

If you tailgate, and then when the person gets over, you pass them, cut in front of them, and slam on your brakes.

If you tailgate motorcyclists (seriously, this should be a felony offense)

If you are driving anything less than 10 over the speed limit in the hammer lane (traffic permitting)

If, when coming to a lane merging, you wait till the last minute to merge because there is no one in your lane.

If, when in a traffic jam, you drive on the shoulder to get past everyone.

If, when in a traffic jam, you move into an exit lane then re-merge.

If you drive a prius.

If you park ANYTHING that is not a compact car, in a compact only space. Your sedan....its NOT COMPACT
This is being smart, not an asshole. Everyone should use both lanes to the fucking merge point and then let one car in after the other.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Chewing with your mouth open. It's nasty and rude. Doubly so if you start talking without covering your full mouth as well.

In China, the opposite is true. This is a cultural thing.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Restaurant -
- Not tipping at least 15% for a meal that came to you hot, on time, and which you ate in entirety
- Completely ignoring your screaming child while seated at your table (and yes, I know he's likely just trying to get attention, but it's still rude)
- Not at least making an attempt to keep your children at your table when eating

- Not bringing food to the table hot, and then acting like it's the customer's fault when it isn't hot

- Walking in and assuming your problem is immediately the highest priority thing everyone should be doing
- Expecting the IT staff to do your papers/projects for you because you can't be bothered to actually learn how to use a computer
- Assuming that because you pay tuition you pay my salary and have a right to tell me how to do my job
I can tell you don't have kids.

In China, the opposite is true. This is a cultural thing.[/QUOTE]

I know that. Japan too. And since I DON'T LIVE IN ASIA, IT'S RUDE.

Really, your comment could be used on anything on this list. Kinda pointless.

...you run a red light with a tanker truck. Saw this coming home from the store today. Our light turned green, then a tanker comes through the intersection at full speed.

if you're in a movie theater when your kid starts crying and you don't get up to take them out. I don't have children, but this is incredibly rude. I understand not wanting to miss a part, but if you don't want to worry about missing parts because of your kids, don't bring them to the movies.

Restaurant -

I can tell you don't have kids.[/QUOTE]

I do have a kid. When he acts up in a restaurant to the point of annoying the other patrons, I deal with him, not ignore him. If it happens a lot, we take a break from restaurants until he can learn to be civil in a public place.

EDIT: The issue I'm referring to is a time I was at a restaurant (with my kid, mind you), where the kid at the table next to us was literally screaming his head off (not crying, just yelling at the top of his lungs) the entire time we were there to eat. The waitress tried to get the mother to at least address it, but the mother just ignored the kid and kept talking on her phone the whole time. Her other 2 kids were running all over the restaurant as well. That's just not being a responsible and courteous parent. That's being an asshole.

fade

Staff member
I do this all the time for merging lanes; NOT single lanes to a turning lane like the diagram shows. It's not my fault people are too stupid to use both lanes up to the merging point, but they get pissed off when I "cut" in front of them at the merge point.
Man, I couldn't disagree more. Zooming up to the merge point slows down everybody because it's a single funnel point.

if you're in a movie theater when your kid starts crying and you don't get up to take them out. I don't have children, but this is incredibly rude. I understand not wanting to miss a part, but if you don't want to worry about missing parts because of your kids, don't bring them to the movies.
In the same vein, bringing your under-10 kids to a horror/Rambo-esque action/thriller movie. I know you may want to see the movie, and it can be hard to find a dependable babysitter, but this is not the answer.

Man, I couldn't disagree more. Zooming up to the merge point slows down everybody because it's a single funnel point.[/QUOTE]

There was a deal on the news recently where they were talking to a DOT spokesperson and they basically said they made it a merge point for a reason. You should go up to it and then merge in. Merging in before slows both lanes down and causes a longer line of traffic.

I just find that counter intuitive, it seems that cutting in at the last second forces the car behind you to stop. I really mean cutting... not trying to match speed and slide in, but cutting to where there will be a wreck if the other does not stop.

I think the bigger asshole is the guy who doesn't let people merge in front of him, and tailgates the guy in front of him to prevent other people "beating" him to the merge. That is the guy that is going to cause the accident.

C

Chazwozel

Man, I couldn't disagree more. Zooming up to the merge point slows down everybody because it's a single funnel point.[/QUOTE]

No, if everyone uses both lanes like they're supposed to to the merge point, and every car lets one car in ahead of them, traffic moves much smoother. It's far better than everyone fuck piling into a single lane 10 miles before the merge point.

fade

Staff member

There was a deal on the news recently where they were talking to a DOT spokesperson and they basically said they made it a merge point for a reason. You should go up to it and then merge in. Merging in before slows both lanes down and causes a longer line of traffic.[/QUOTE]

I'd want to test that. Imagine a funnel full of marbles versus a funnel with a straw in the chute filled with marble sized holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.