Export thread

Your state is a food.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dave

Dave

Wait. Why is Nebraska corn and Iowa loose meat? Iowa should be corn before any other.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Why isn't California a California Roll? ;)

Also, I agree with Dave about Iowa. My grandfather's autobiography "Three to the Hill" would attest to that. Maid-Rite sandwiches are fondly remembered, but the chain is all but dead. Corn still defines Iowa.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Wisconsin cheese isn't that great. There, I said it.

And Minnesota gets the deep-fried snickers? Yeah, ok.

Also, Nevada appears to be more than one food.

Why is Indiana popcorn? I'm not really feelin' this list.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Why is Indiana popcorn? I'm not really feelin' this list.
My mom and sister pointed out to me that there is the town of Popcorn, IN, but that's the best I can figure.

makare

Fuck that map! Sodak's nephla soup blow the doors off North Dakota's.

Bitches!

Mathias

Mathias

Fuck that map! Sodak's nephla soup blow the doors off North Dakota's.

Bitches!

Hey! Chislic out, homie!

makare

Chislic is good but I loooove nephla soup.

It's dough noodles in butter and cream. I mean really.

Mathias

Mathias

I have no idea what Chislic is, but a quick google search tells me it's meat on a stick. That is always a good thing.

makare

Hmm not that I've ever had. It is just steak cut into cubes and then deep fried and seasoned.

I asked my mom about it I had no idea it was deep fried.

Sheesh. Let's just eat a big bowl of cream and deep fry steak. Holy shit.

Matt²

I thought I saw a kitten in there.. need my eyes checked again.

phil

phil

I called Texas as a steak. That might have been super obvious though.

General Specific

General Specific

Ok, yeah, Georgia is the "Peach State" but I must point out that South Carolina produces more. So we should have the peach and not them.

Wasabi Poptart

New Jersey is an Italian sub? Really? I thought it would be some kind of veggies or fruit since it is the Garden State. Beefsteak tomatoes from NJ are so friggin' awesome. So are the blueberries.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'd probably put these for Ohio, instead of Cinncinati Chili, but that's just me.

Wasabi Poptart

My mom and sister pointed out to me that there is the town of Popcorn, IN, but that's the best I can figure.
Orville Redenbacher (sp) was born in Indiana.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Also, Nevada appears to be more than one food.
I think Nevada is just supposed to be a buffet.

Krisken

Krisken

Wisconsin cheese isn't that great. There, I said it.
You can say it all you want, you'd still be wrong.

Wisconsin was pretty obvious.

Mathias

Mathias

The whole state of NY gets pizza? I don't think I've ever, EVER had a good pie up-state.

And what the fuck is up with PA getting cheesesteak? The ONLY good cheesesteak is in Philly. Pittsburgh's Permani Bro's country (i.e. throwing slaw and french fries into your sammich).

Tress

Tress

We get grapes? Okay, wine country, I can see that. But we have soooooo much more. I agree with FP, it should have been a California roll.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Yeah, I get ramps, but WV is also the home of the pepperoni roll. Primo noms for those on a budget.

Cajungal

Cajungal

We get grapes? Okay, wine country, I can see that. But we have soooooo much more. I agree with FP, it should have been a California roll.
Or avocados, at least. Any food that features a good amount of avocado is dubbed the "California style _______." Our state's pretty much a no brainer, I guess.

Wasabi Poptart

Yeah I would have said avocados for CA, too.

linglingface

linglingface

Om nom nom. <3 Apples!

We went to California a few months ago and were sad to find only 2 types of apples at the grocery store. We had to explain to a friend that our grocery stores normally carry Macintosh, Honeycrisp, Fuji, Gala, Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith and more~ <3

Krisken

Krisken

Om nom nom. <3 Apples!

We went to California a few months ago and were sad to find only 2 types of apples at the grocery store. We had to explain to a friend that our grocery stores normally carry Macintosh, Honeycrisp, Fuji, Gala, Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith and more~ <3
Hah, that's like here for cheese. Three different varieties of cheddar, mozzarella, provolone, various cheese spreads (not in a pressurized can), sliced, and shredded.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Rare Texas!

FnordBear

FnordBear

Ok, yeah, Georgia is the "Peach State" but I must point out that South Carolina produces more. So we should have the peach and not them.

What the hell is a "bene waffer" anyway? :confused:

MindDetective

MindDetective

You can say it all you want, you'd still be wrong.

Wisconsin was pretty obvious.
Sorry, Oregon has you beat.

Krisken

Krisken

Sorry, Oregon has you beat.
Wisconsin cheesemakers received 21 blue ribbons during preliminary judging Tuesday and Wednesday. Wisconsin also blew away the competition from other states. New York had six blue ribbons, two of which were for butter, while Idaho had five, California had four and Vermont had three.
Wisconsin has the best cheese.

• Cheddar, Aged 2 Years or Longer - Kiel Cheesemakers, Land O'Lakes, Kiel
  • Marbled Curd Cheese - Tom Ramsden, Meister Cheese Co., Muscoda
  • Provolone, Mild - Roger Krohn, Trega Foods, Luxemburg
  • Provolone, Aged - Allen Steger, Park Cheese Co., Fond du Lac
  • Parmesan - Dan Szczepanski, BelGioioso Cheese, Denmark
  • Havarti - John Yttri, Edelweiss Creamery, Monticello
  • Cottage Cheese - Cottage Team, Westby Co-op Creamery, Westby
  • Brick, Muenster - Dave Buholzer, Klondike Cheese Co., Monroe
  • Gouda, Flavored - Holland's Family Cheese Team, Holland's Family Cheese, Thorp
  • Quesos para Fundir - Dennis Schliem, Zimmerman Cheese, Wiota
  • Pepper Flavored Cheeses (Other Natural Styles) - Team Two, Wisconsin Cheese Group, Monroe
  • Flavored Hard Cheeses - Kerry Henning, Henning Cheese, Kiel
  • Open Class Soft Cheeses - Bill Codr, BelGioioso Cheese, Denmark
  • Cold Pack Cheese, Cheese Food - Michael Kraemer, Kraemer Wisconsin Cheese, Watertown
  • Cold Pack Cheese Spread - Bel Brands Merkts Orange Team, Bel Brands USA, Kaukauna
  • Spreadable Cheeses - Rigid Team, Kraft Foods, Beaver Dam
  • Flavored Soft Goat's Milk Cheeses - Helene Rossard, Montchevre Betin, Belmont
  • Semi-soft Goat's Milk Cheeses - Misty Gobrecht, Montchevre Betin, Belmont
  • Flavored Soft and Semisoft Mixed Milk Cheeses - Sid Cook, Carr Valley Cheese Co., La Valle
  • Hard Mixed Milk Cheeses - Sid Cook, Carr Valley Cheese Co., La Valle
  • Open Class Shredded Cheese, Flavored and Unflavored - Team Plymouth, Sartori Foods Corp., Plymouth
Wisconsin won 21 of the 80 categories, with nobody nationally or internationally coming close. Maybe we'll see Oregon get a medal this year. ;)

Dei

Dei

Man once again the whole state of NY is defined by NYC. /nerdrage

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Man once again the whole state of NY is defined by NYC. /nerdrage
well...

Hylian

Hylian

They definitely got Washington right. We definitely have an overabundance of apples here (and that is not a bad thing). :)

GasBandit

GasBandit

And that, kids, was how the cheese wars were started...

Krisken

Krisken

We take our cheese seriously. Only time will tell if it compares to the chili and steak wars.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

We take our cheese seriously. Only time will tell if it compares to the chili and steak wars.
I'm pretty sure Cincinnati chili is out of the running. The appeal of it is what you serve it with, not the chili itself.

Wasabi Poptart

Om nom nom. <3 Apples!

Really? When I was living in San Diego our local grocery store carried all of those, except Macintosh and Honeycrisps could be hard to find out of season.

linglingface

linglingface

They definitely got Washington right. We definitely have an overabundance of apples here (and that is not a bad thing). :)
Aww another Washingtonian! :D
I get so sad when I see a store with just red apples and green apples. What about everything in between? It's like going to IHoP and only having the choice of plain pancakes and plain waffles. /disappointment
Added at: 11:31
Really? When I was living in San Diego our local grocery store carried all of those, except Macintosh and Honeycrisps could be hard to find out of season.
Hmmm maybe it's different depending on the area? We were in Anaheim at the time. :)

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

New Mexico gets all the chilies/peppers?

Fried okra for Oklahoma sounds about right. Possum grits must have been a close second.

makare

My step dad brought cheese back from Wisconsin because we wanted to try it. (We need hobbies seriously). It was lousy. We threw it away.

I do not have a positive opinion of Wisconsin cheese.

Wasabi Poptart

Aww another Washingtonian! :D
I get so sad when I see a store with just red apples and green apples. What about everything in between? It's like going to IHoP and only having the choice of plain pancakes and plain waffles. /disappointment
Added at: 11:31

Hmmm maybe it's different depending on the area? We were in Anaheim at the time. :)
Or the store itself. I found some carried a ton of produce while others were stocked with just basics. I also agree it's sad to just have red or green apples and nothing else. I love trying new/newer varieties. Ambrosia apples are so good.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Minnesota should be Lutefisk.

And MindDetective, you're dead to me.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Sorry, Tillamook wins all. Even my wife, who has lived in Minnesota since 10 years old, prefers Oregonian cheese over Wisconsin's.

Sara_2814

Sara_2814

Nebraska is corn? OK, maybe the part of the state that borders Iowa, but west of Lincoln it's cows, cows, cows and more cows. And also some cows. You can't swing a dead cow without hitting a steakhouse around here.

And while a U.P. pasty is a gift from the gods, it's not really all that well known outside Yooperland. Michigan should be a fish (whitefish, perch, etc.).

Gusto

Gusto

These are based on stereotypes I feel. Nebraska Cornuskers, etc.

Also, My State is a Province.

Krisken

Krisken

My step dad brought cheese back from Wisconsin because we wanted to try it. (We need hobbies seriously). It was lousy. We threw it away.

I do not have a positive opinion of Wisconsin cheese.
You do realize they come in different brands, right?

makare

Nooooo you are kidding!

I shall now die of surprise.

Krisken

Krisken

Well, that's not the reaction I was hoping for.
I'm not going to try to convince anyone. I already posted proof of our pudding.

makare

Some of your pudding is bad. Accept it.

Krisken

Krisken

Well, durr! I never said Wisconsin couldn't make a bad cheese. I wouldn't eat a bad steak from Texas and say it was all crap.

makare

can't say it is all good either.

Krisken

Krisken

I didn't realize that my phrasing was an absolute.

Here, let me clarify- Wisconsin makes the best cheese. Yes, they can make a bad cheese. Their cheese won more categories in the World Championship Cheese Contest than any other state or country.

Better?

makare

Ok but it is still a personal taste thing. Cheese contests be damned.

Sara_2814

Sara_2814

Of course you only have one kind of cheese! You wear it on your heads at sporting events! Duh!

Cheesehead.*

*Being a Yooper by birth, I am obligated by law to call you this. Sorry.

Krisken

Krisken

Gah, those things will haunt me forever!

I take solace in the fact that the U.P.got shuffled over to Michigan.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Can we all at least agree that cheese, in general, is wonderful? In fact, I've got some Colby Jack and bread downstairs that's just begging to be smooshed together and thrown into a skillet.

makare

I bought some cheese the other day ok honestly i think it was a cheese like product, anyway it was on sale. Next time im splurging for real cheese.

Krisken

Krisken

I love colby jack.

My favorite cheese though is a spread by Merkts called Port Wine. Egads, that is good stuff on crackers.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Kriskens: Best with cheese.

makare

I like a nice cream cheese spread with my kriskens.

With olives.

Krisken

Krisken

I'm great at play off games and other parties, too.

makare

He makes an excellent breading for mushrooms... and shrimp!

Jay

Jay

Kriskens: Best with cheese.
Smoke meat, with swiss cheese.

*nods*

figmentPez

figmentPez

I love cheese. Lots of kinds of cheese.

Chevre on corn chips.
Cheddar on a Triscuit.
Edam on some butter crackers.
Jalapeno Jack cheese on a burger.
Parmesean and mozzarella on a pizza.
Cheese enchiladas, broccoli and cheese soup, blueberry cheesecake, cheese baked in bread and biscuits, omelette du fromage, cream cheese on a bagel or as the icing on a cake...

CHEESE!

Cajungal

Cajungal

Man... if I could have one week where the rules of calories and weight gain would not apply to me (let alone constipation...) I'd just eat a crapload of cheese. I'd just make a brie en croute and make that my meal du jour. Oh man... cheese.

makare

The one time I ate brie it had no taste. None it was literally tasteless.

I've been wanting to try it again but it is so expensive. I must have done something wrong.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Might have been crappy brie. I've bought cheap brie once, and it wasn't so great. It's good with fig spread. :)
Added at: 23:34
Any kind of really good jam can doctor up a boring brie.

makare

Yeah I ate it plain well on a cracker but also cold

So I intend to try it with something at room temp.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Did you serve it at room temperature? Cold brie doesn't taste good.

EDIT: Ninja'd! Yes, cold brie was your problem. Temperature plays a big role in most cheeses.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Oh man, yeah. Cold brie won't do.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Are there any cheeses that work best cold? I'm thinking only as part of another dish.

linglingface

linglingface

Nooooo you are kidding!

I shall now die of surprise.
This post + your avatar = WIN

On another note... <3 cheese <3

evilmike

evilmike

It seems a little odd that they barbecue they picked for North Carolina doesn't actually seem to be Carolina-style barbecue.

Covar

Covar

It seems a little odd that they barbecue they picked for North Carolina doesn't actually seem to be Carolina-style barbecue.
That was my thought. A horrible picture, here's a much more acurate one:

I do love me some barbecue.

Jiarn

Texas + Steak = Win

Though I half expected it to be a Taco at this point.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I didn't realize that my phrasing was an absolute.

Here, let me clarify- Wisconsin makes the best cheese. Yes, they can make a bad cheese. Their cheese won more categories in the World Championship Cheese Contest than any other state or country.

Better?
Probably the boutique cheeses made on a small scale. While I would love to be able to eat that kind of cheese on a regular basis, there is just no way to justify the expense. So the mass-produced, grocery store cheese (like Crystal Farms) is what we're really talking about here. And those brands just don't compare favorably to Tillamook.

Krisken

Krisken

I'm not going to argue about personal taste and supposition, MindDetective. You have an opinion, that's great. Just eat what you enjoy. However, that doesn't make Oregon the king of cheese.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm not going to argue about personal taste and supposition, MindDetective. You have an opinion, that's great. Just eat what you enjoy. However, that doesn't make Oregon the king of cheese.
Oregon is, however, the king of this -

Krisken

Krisken

Now that I wasn't expecting.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I wish I could. Tillamook is considered a boutique cheese out here. :(

Philosopher B.

NJ should be a cow pie.

makare

LMAO that cheese i got that sucked was in fact crystal farms. That is a riot.

Krisken

Krisken

Yeah, that makes sense. If you said Widmer's or Held's, I'd have to slap you.

If you want a good Wisconsin cheese, generally go with a family name, not something generic like Crystal Farms.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I've had some Kraft American singles, and all cheese sucks.

Vagabond

Vagabond

I've had some Kraft American singles, and all cheese sucks.
Im not seeing the connection.

Gusto

Gusto

Im not seeing the connection.
It makes sense in the fantasy universe that Kraft Singles qualify as cheese.

Dei

Dei

Once I started getting all my sandwich cheese from the grocery store deli, I could never go back to believing that Kraft Singles are cheese.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Kraft Singles have a metallic taste that isn't present in other brands of american cheese. It sure is the iconic version of the cheese, but it's pretty bad for being the most popular, and it's a shame that the whole category of cheese gets judged by it.

On a tangent related to this thread: McDonald’s Japan Introduces 4 “Big America 2″ Burgers
-The Texas 2: "a burger patty, chili, cheese, onion, bacon and a mustard-relish scattered between three hamburger buns." (Kotaku writer Brian Ashcraft says "The chili tastes more like Indian curry.")
- The Idaho burger - a sandwich featuring hash browns, bacon, onions and pepper-and-mustard sauce.
- The Manhattan - a burger patty stacked with pastrami and mozzarella cheese.
- The Miami burger - a hodgepodge of taco meat and tortilla chips.

That last one puzzles me a little.
Added at: 15:04
I guess you could say it put me in a state of confusion.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Kraft Singles have a metallic taste that isn't present in other brands of american cheese. It sure is the iconic version of the cheese, but it's pretty bad for being the most popular, and it's a shame that the whole category of cheese gets judged by it.

On a tangent related to this thread: McDonald’s Japan Introduces 4 “Big America 2″ Burgers
-The Texas 2: "a burger patty, chili, cheese, onion, bacon and a mustard-relish scattered between three hamburger buns." (Kotaku writer Brian Ashcraft says "The chili tastes more like Indian curry.")
- The Idaho burger - a sandwich featuring hash browns, bacon, onions and pepper-and-mustard sauce.

I MUST HAVE THAT SMILIE. I DEMAND THAT THIS SMILIE BE ADDED TO THE SMILIES.

Dave

Dave

I MUST HAVE THAT SMILIE. I DEMAND THAT THIS SMILIE BE ADDED TO THE SMILIES.
Your wish,my command & all that.

Mathias

Mathias

Budweiser is the most popular beer in America, so don't feel too bad about KraftSingles.