12 dead in shooting in Paris

Well, yes. I retract my earleir words; I meant the second: deaths by extermists who happen to be christian, rather than christian fundamentalists. My apologies.

That said, our Charlie clearly isn't alone. Remember how the Belgian polce force killed 2 terrorists who were shooting at the cops with Kalashnikovs, and managed to subdue and arrest several others? News outlets are now questioning whether those kills don't count as unjudicial executions, and those policemen shouldn't be brought up on charges. They could've shot them in the legs, pacified or sedated those people, after all!

Clearly, we don't have enough people with a somewhat working knowledge of guns in Belgium. I'm all in favor of trying to arrest people without undue violence. People shooting at the cops are, you know, probably going to get hurt in self-defence. The mere fact that the third one shooting wasn't killed but wounded, and several others were detained, pretty clearly proves the police didn't go in guns ablazing, killing everyone in sight. Good lord, anything to try and discredit our fascistoid right-wing government destroying our liberties (yes, our media claim our government is currently run by not-quite-but-almost Nazis intent on destroying our every liberty. No, those people apparently never visited any other country in the world)

GasBandit

Staff member
Definitely the first rule of gunnery is to aim for center mass. You never try to "shoot them in the leg."

Also there are major blood vessels in the legs. You can bleed out REAL damn fast if the femoral artery is hit. So it's no guarantee of "non-lethality."

Good lord, anything to try and discredit our fascistoid right-wing government destroying our liberties (yes, our media claim our government is currently run by not-quite-but-almost Nazis intent on destroying our every liberty. No, those people apparently never visited any other country in the world)
This is pretty much how I see the media in Canada as well.

So, Salaah Abdeslam, the alleged/supposed mastermind behind these attacks, has been caught, in Brussels. Around the corner (literally) from his last known address. Door-to-door searches were ordered way back when, but stopped because they were considered a breach of privacy and government overreach by the local mayor. Local reaction was that "the whole neighborhood knew where he was the whole time".
Seriously guys, it's that sort of reaction - true or false - that feeds the fires of the extreme right and makes all of the Muslim community look like they support terrorism. Idiots.

Anyway, we'll see soon enough whether or not he was the mastermind. My money's on "scapegoat".

The howling from authorities about "encryption" is a red herring. The Paris terrorists used burner phones, and didn't send any texts or emails with them.
Not reported in English, but mentioned in Dutch: they finally managed to get Abdeslam by tracing and following a pizza delivery - it was made just a street over, then he had it delivered to him; he sent a text to another guy to bring them over. Seriously. So...Yes, from a random new phone, a message "yo, bring over the pizza" was enough to find him. Even Belgian police is monitoring texts that closely. Privacy schmivacy.