Export thread

2023 Major League Baseball Season (MLB Thread)

Limit: 500

jwhouk

jwhouk

New Season, New commissioner, New Ball... New RULES?!

EDIT: Changed the title to be a recurring thread.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

New Season, New commissioner, New Ball!
[vine]30F2DF3DEA1170907955823091712_3812a6e8963.1.5.8366246717612366847.mp4[/vine]

EDIT: Someone wanna give me an assist as to how to embed the vine?

I got nothing.

Tress

Tress

I talked shit about the Giants last year, and their season turned out okay (I guess), so I'll do it again.

The Giants are seriously fucked in their starting rotation, which used to be their strength. Sure, Bumgarner's great; he has been for years. But after that you've got a guy coming off major surgery (Cain), a guy who has to recapture former glory AGAIN (Peavy), a guy who just turned 40 (Hudson), and a guy with serious mental problems with his mechanics (Lincecum). So what do they do? Sign another older player who seems to be fading (Vogelsong).

Ugh.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Tress, 2015 is an odd number. Giants are fucked.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

The Astros might be .500 this year???

jwhouk

jwhouk

Possible weird moment of the year: when the Cubs have opening day, and the bleachers are empty because they're still under construction.

Zappit

Zappit

Red Sox look better this year. Might even hit a bit.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm getting just a bit concerned that the Crew hasn't won a single game so far in Cactus League play.

jwhouk

jwhouk

In case you haven't heard, Will Ferrell is planning on playing for 10 different teams in the Cactus League today. The stunt is to raise awareness for cancer research and for those affected by cancer.

I'm kinda glad he didn't end up playing in a game involving the Brewers.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Nice rant from KO about ballpark food. "Because life expectancy in Milwaukee has gotten a little too high." :)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

You would have to be a millionaire to afford enough ballpark food to hurt you.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

You would have to be a millionaire to afford enough ballpark food to hurt you.
At current prices that's what, one homestand, maybe two? :)

jwhouk

jwhouk

Nice rant from KO about ballpark food. "Because life expectancy in Milwaukee has gotten a little too high." :)
Oh, admit it, you want to try Nachos on a Stick - AND that Churro Dog in 'Zona.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Oh, admit it, you want to try Nachos on a Stick - AND that Churro Dog in 'Zona.
Damn right, 'cause why not? :D

jwhouk

jwhouk

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

This (sadly) happens all the time in soccer. Believed to be a first for MLB.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

GO ASTROS

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Tampa Bay does that at least once a week.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Why not cancel the game? or move it to a temporary location?

Tress

Tress

Why not cancel the game? or move it to a temporary location?
You can't cancel. Every team has to play 162 games in a year. As for moving it, I don't think they had any realistic options. They already moved the location for their weekend series with Tampa Bay.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Orioles game free game on mlb.com today. The players still get their at-bat music. :)

Gared

Gared

Is it too early to start shooting pitchers? Our big upcoming pitcher from last year pulled a "Wild Thing" on us and came back for his second year completely stuck in his own head. He went from just blowing pitches by the batters to trying to throw 4 seamers, and sinkers, and curve balls, and such - and now he's almost completely useless. Case in point, tonight's game against the Padres. I turn the game on 18 minutes after it started and it should be over by that point, 4 - 0 Mariners in the bottom of the 1st with 1 out and 1 on. The Pads get out of the inning with their starting pitcher throwing just a few more than 20 pitches in the first (35). Second inning starts off looking good, get's a pop out, then a fly out, and then the wheels fall off. Walks the next 3 consecutive batters, loading the bases, and gets luckier than any man has a right to on the 4th batter, who pops out to short on a (4th consecutive) full count. Short of buying the douche a Harley and getting him to sleep with a hot young teacher, I really don't know what can be done for the poor fucker if he can't get out of his head sometime soon.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I'm having a hard time getting into this season. I just don't recognize any of the faces anymore and none of the new guys have really caught my attention. Oh, and A-Rod is back, so :puke:.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Man banned from Wrigley Field for being "drunk and belligerent."

Rest of MLB asks: "What did they do with the other 40,000?"

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Three-game shutout sweep of the Dodgers. We'll take it.
Giants Sweep.jpg

jwhouk

jwhouk

It's May, Cheesy. It's May.

(At least, that's what I have to keep telling myself every time I see the NL Central standings... :( )

jwhouk

jwhouk

Will Smith (the Brewers reliever, not the Fresh Prince of Bel Air) for allegedly applying a foreign substance to the ball.

He is not happy about it.

jwhouk

jwhouk

This is all happening because of Braun, isn't it?

:hide:

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Least your manager didn't get tossed while turning in his lineup card :(

jwhouk

jwhouk

I will not get my hopes up.

17 inning win one day and a 1-0 heart-palpatation-inducing win the next, and I will NOT get my hopes up.

We are still in the cellar.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I will not get my hopes up.

17 inning win one day and a 1-0 heart-palpatation-inducing win the next, and I will NOT get my hopes up.

We are still in the cellar.
Working as intended.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

That reminds me. Is "untuck em" still a thing?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm the smartest person alive

jwhouk

jwhouk

That reminds me. Is "untuck em" still a thing?
No, it went with Cameron.

I'm the smartest person alive
Yippee. Put the Crew back in your shoes and I bet situations are reversed.

And Tapatalk STILL doesn't do blocked posts...

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Yippee. Put the Crew back in your shoes and I bet situations are reversed.

what do those words mean?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

what do those words mean?
I think it means he wants balance restored to the universe by putting the teams back in the leagues where they belong. :p

jwhouk

jwhouk

IOW Brewers back in the AL, Astros back in the NL.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

lmfao, the brewers would get eaten alive in the AL

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

lmfao, the brewers would get eaten alive in the AL
Again, working as intended. :p

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

;)

drifter

drifter

Cards being investigated by FBI for hacking into Astro's database. Dafuq?

Also, holy shit the Astro's are in first place in their division?!

Gared

Gared

Yeah, the Houston Firstros doesn't really have the same ring to it, but it's hard to deny that they've been doing pretty well this year. Don't have a whole lot of competition. Seriously though, how the fuck do you go out and hire Cano, Cruz, and Trumbo, only to have Cano fade away and Cruz and Trumbo combine for 32 strikeouts and 0 extra base hits in the month of June? Hell, for that matter, how the hell do you have three straight batters strike out looking in one inning? These guys aren't even fucking trying anymore.

Covar

Covar

Cards being investigated by FBI for hacking into Astro's database. Dafuq?

Also, holy shit the Astro's are in first place in their division?!
ESPN actually has a really good article explaining what kind of day the Astros would keep, and why it would be extremely valuable to other teams.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13106874/why-houston-astros-database-worth-hacking

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So this happened yesterday in DC...

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

What kind of bizarro world are we living in this season? Yankees are at Boston this weekend, and BOTH Fox and ESPN go with... Cards at Pirates?

Celt Z

Celt Z

Sadly, they've made the right decision.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

For once in years someone actually looked at the standings when making the TV schedule. :)

jwhouk

jwhouk

So this happened yesterday in DC...

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Where ya been? That was weeks ago. Not my fault the vine came down since then. :p

(It was Tabata maybe kinda sorta leaning into that pitch from Sherzer.)

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So this happened...
http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/70087564/v253436583

Suck it, umps!

@Dave, why can't we directly link MLB videos?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Meh. He's probably juicing.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Meh. He's probably juicing.
That was a bit uncalled for.

Dave

Dave

So this happened...
http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/70087564/v253436583

Suck it, umps!

@Dave, why can't we directly link MLB videos?
Because the code hasn't been released as far as I know. I can take a look at it, though.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Because the code hasn't been released as far as I know. I can take a look at it, though.
mlb's site has links for posting videos, but xenforo isn't allowing it yet. Same for tumblr.

Dave

Dave

mlb's site has links for posting videos, but xenforo isn't allowing it yet. Same for tumblr.
XenForo just doesn't have the BBCode for it yet. I went to xenforo.com and looked but NONE of the BBCode packs have anything from MLB, so I requested one.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Pirates take 3 of 4 from the Cards, and Satan's messengers on Earth react in predictable fashion:
https://twitter.com/bestfansstlouis

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

FUCK MILWAUKEE. :mad:

jwhouk

jwhouk

Sorry, can't hear you down here in the basement.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Brewers gonna Brewer.

Cardinals gonna Cardinal.

Ffffffffuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwhouk

jwhouk

Can we both agree that a wrecking ball can't come to 1060 West Addison fast enough?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Dressed like a goat, a black cat, and Steve Bartman. And goes through Leon Durham's legs. :D

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I have found myself jumping back on the Blue Jays bandwagon. They picked up some talent before the trade deadline, and now they're kicking ass. I have watched them hit two grand slams this week, including today against them Damn Yankees.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Can we both agree that a wrecking ball can't come to 1060 West Addison fast enough?
Isn't that Jake Blues home address?

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

...the hell is wrong with you people?!

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm from Wisconsin. DA's proximity is to the Three Rivers area. We both have hatred for the Northsiders and the "So-Called Best Fans In the World" who play in the shadow of the Arch.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Yeah? And I'm a Reds fan. I just don't see the hatred for a team that hasn't won a championship in 107 years. It's more pity, really, at this point Hate should be reserved for teams that actually win things like the aforementioned Cards, Yankees & Giants.

Tress

Tress

I never thought I'd see the day when my Giants were listed as members of the evil empire. I love it. :cool:

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Meh, I could've gone with the Red Sox as my third, but their decades of futility before this latest run kept them out

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Meh, I could've gone with the Red Sox as my third, but their decades of futility before this latest run kept them out
When Fox will insist on keeping the Sawx as their prime Saturday games, no matter how deep into last place they are, they're in the top tier of evil. When ESPN talking heads lend support to changing the rules of the game for the sole benefit of the last-place Sawx, they're in the top tier of evil.

drifter

drifter

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Dodgers must've done that in the 7th tonight. [emoji41]

Celt Z

Celt Z

In (somewhat) related news, when I did the Dirty Girl run, we got to run through the layers of Citi Field. Despite being the home of the Mets, it really is a nice stadium. It was good to know where they store all the beer...in case of emergency, of course. ;)

It was also really cool to get to run in the outfield of a pro stadium. I wish I had gotten some photos of that part, even the dorky one of pretending to catch a fly ball against the back wall.

jwhouk

jwhouk

It's called an "outfield wall", dear.

And if it's anyone that deserves pity, it's the Mets.

Celt Z

Celt Z

It's called an "outfield wall", dear.

And if it's anyone that deserves pity, it's the Mets.
I know! :p I was trying to imply the furthest part of the wall (also, it wasn't even 8:30 AM, so you're lucky I was that coherent.)

jwhouk

jwhouk

I know! :p I was trying to imply the furthest part of the wall (also, it wasn't even 8:30 AM, so you're lucky I was that coherent.)
Sounds like someone needs a potassium break... ;)

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Sounds like someone needs a potassium break... ;)
Not at Citi Field, though. Hotdog, fries, and a Gatorade... $17. :Leyla:

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

So why do people buy food and drinks at games? I stopped doing it ages ago because of the prices. (Well, I also dislike drinking beer from plastic cups)

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I did it because after the dash from subway to hotel and back to subway after the train to NYC, I didn't have time to stop and eat before getting to the game. I sat down with my food right at the first pitch. :)

jwhouk

jwhouk

Souvenir cups also make for good pen holders down the road, yo. ;)

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I did it because after the dash from subway to hotel and back to subway after the train to NYC, I didn't have time to stop and eat before getting to the game. I sat down with my food right at the first pitch. :)
Oh yeah. My question wasn't really directed to your experience, since you kinda went to the the game as a tourist. I was thinking about the people like me who regularly go to hometown games.

But now I'm thinking that is indeed part of the answer to my question. People go as tourists, and so are willing to pay extra "for the experience"

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

But now I'm thinking that is indeed part of the answer to my question. People go as tourists, and so are willing to pay extra "for the experience"
In my case it was the experience of "not passing out" after that dash from Penn Station to Flushing Chinatown with all that luggage. :p

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

My experience, in the past, has been having nothing to do on a Thursday afternoon while everyone else was at work, so I'd sit in the cheap seats and read a book.

Seriously. I have been to quite a few Blue Jays games that I never watched. Well, barely watched.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

See, that makes me sad. Watch a Giants game on any given day, even an afternoon one on a weekday, and there is always a packed house. Then I see a game at Dodgers stadium on TV on a weekend, and there's hardly anyone in the stands, and most of those who ARE there leave by the 7th inning.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

See, that makes me sad. Watch a Giants game on any given day, even an afternoon one on a weekday, and there is always a packed house. Then I see a game at Dodgers stadium on TV on a weekend, and there's hardly anyone in the stands, and most of those who ARE there leave by the 7th inning.
The great unanswered question is who is the guy slamming on the brakes in the background when Kirk Gibson hits that home run in the '88 World Series.

Celt Z

Celt Z

In my case it was the experience of "not passing out" after that dash from Penn Station to Flushing Chinatown with all that luggage. :p
What, didn't you have the glamorous 7 train to chauffeur you door-to door? /end sarcasm.

My experience, in the past, has been having nothing to do on a Thursday afternoon while everyone else was at work, so I'd sit in the cheap seats and read a book.

Seriously. I have been to quite a few Blue Jays games that I never watched. Well, barely watched.
I wish I had that option. Around here, even "cheap seats" aren't cheap. :(

Tress

Tress

Yeah, there's something special about the Giants community. When AT&T opened people treated it like an experience and never took it for granted. In the late 2000's the place began to sellout every night, and obviously since winning a title (and then 2 more) there's been an overwhelming surge of passion. I only see fan bases like that at a few other ballparks, and most of them are more like what @Gruebeard deacribed.

We're spoiled! :cool:

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Hey, I've also gone to plenty of games to watch the game, too. It's just that when I was living downtown Toronto, the Skydome was a nearby place I could spend time outside without feeling like I was loitering on a corner. And the place was empty enough that I felt like I was getting away from the madding crowd.

Okay, that makes me a little sad, too, @Cheesy1

And the Jays do get a crowd. At their worst, they still got enough people to sell out a hockey game. Now that the fans have hope of success after more than two decades, they're selling out again to eager excited fans.[DOUBLEPOST=1439397437,1439397184][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah, there's something special about the Giants community. When AT&T opened people treated it like an experience and never took it for granted. In the late 2000's the place began to sellout every night, and obviously since winning a title (and then 2 more) there's been an overwhelming surge of passion. I only see fan bases like that at a few other ballparks, and most of them are more like what @Gruebeard deacribed.

We're spoiled! :cool:
That was the way Toronto was, too, when the Skydome was built and the Jays then won back-to-back. But years of losing followed and the passion dwindled.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Doesn't matter. Jolly Roger still raised.

Although Jim Rooker was invoked several times on my twitter feed. :confused:

jwhouk

jwhouk

A discussion was raised on Yahoo Sports about doing away with Divisional Play - or, at least, altering the post-season seedings so that the top three teams in each league get the "first-round bye" regardless of whether or not they won their Division.

Divisions are here to stay, I think - but that concept of rewarding teams with the three best records (regardless of whether or not they won the division) with a bye out of the play-in game is worth considering.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I would much rather do away with interleague play. You want to see those guys? Either spend the money and make the trip yourself, or pressure your team to get gud and make the Series.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

But then that would require the Blue Jays get gud at the same time as the Expos.

. . .

And that Montreal gets a team again.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

But then that would require the Blue Jays get gud at the same time as the Expos.

. . .

And that Montreal gets a team again.
Jays certainly seem to be holding up their end of the bargain.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

From my fellow /r/buccos redditors...

Covar

Covar

1-3-1 play by the Mets. Who knew the Mets could Mets it up in the other direction.

Gared

Gared

The Jack Z era is over in Seattle, and we've finally sent our catcher (who, like most of our team, couldn't hit the ball if his life depended on it), back down to AAA.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

After attending today's Reds game in 90+ degree heat, I would like to say that there are few things finer than the women that attend baseball games at major league ballparks

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Piotyr

Piotyr

Chicago Cubs, playoff team is getting closer and closer to a reality.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Don't worry, they'll one-and-done in the Wild Card.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Looks like the Astros are going to trip over their dicks until they are out of the playoffs...

jwhouk

jwhouk

It makes a fella proud to be an Astro.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

:(

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

:)

Just watched Toronto kick Atlanta's ass. Tonight, and 92's game six on a retrospective.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

South Korean press is a mix of mourning and outrage tonight. "Murderous tackle" was one response to the slide. Kang expected to be out 6-8... months. [emoji17]

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

That was an ugly slide.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

That was an ugly slide.
It's not the first time he's ended a shortstop's season with a bad slide.

Piotyr

Piotyr

It was a textbook takeout slide that looked worse because Kang wasn't anticipating it and stepped into it. If Kang does what every other middle infielder in the game would have done and jumped it, everyone would think it was a good takeout slide that broke up a double play.

As to whether takeout slides are overly dangerous and should be ruled illegal, then definitely.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Yeah, just ugly. I wouldn't be surprised if the rules are tightened in the off season to stop a player from spreading out like that when it has nothing to do with stretching for the bag.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

You had to see this one coming. I'd point to the day Papelbum declared himself the Nats closer as the day the bottom fell out of their season. What's the Phillies record since they dumped him, by the way?

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Welp, have to wait for an even year again. :(

jwhouk

jwhouk

The last time the Jays were in the playoffs, I'd just gotten married.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

The last time the Jays were in the playoffs, I'd just gotten married.
Happy Anniversary!

jwhouk

jwhouk

I should reiterate: the last time the Jays played a playoff game, I had literally just gotten married that afternoon.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Yeah, I essentially understood you. I was just trying to celebrate the Jays.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Angels only team still alive in the playoff hunt, chasing Charlie's Astros.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Playoff spots are now decided.

AL Playoffs:
Wild Card: Yankees vs. Astros
ALDS 1: Blue Jays vs. Rangers
ALDS 2: Royals vs. Yankees/Astros

NL Playoffs:
Wild Card: Pirates vs. Cubs
NLDS 1: Dodgers vs. Mets
NLDS 2: Cardinals vs. Pirates/Cubs

jwhouk

jwhouk

Go 'Stros!

Jays for the sentimentality of it all, and Astros because.

Pirates (ugh) over the Cubs (double ugh) - though I'd root for PNC Park to slide into the Allegheny.

Dodgers set up better against the Mets. Cards will probably steamroll either the Cubs or Pirates, whoever wins the Wild Card Game.

Jays have been off the radar all year, but I think momentum comes on Houston's side. They win the AL pennant.

Meanwhile, the Cardinals. I hate them, but the Dodgers don't have Kirk Gibson on their bench to pull off some miracle.

So - Astros and Cardinals in that "World Series" that you would have been laughed at about years ago - because of improbability, of course.

I hate the Cardinals, but who in this crowd could possibly beat them?

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

If the Dodgers fall in the first round again, I will be happy.

I would like to see the Cubs win it this year, just so that like the Red Sox they won't have a stupid curse as an excuse anymore when they continue to suck after that.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I don't get some people. Best record in 106 years and third best in their history, and they (one morbidly obese Ric Flair wannabe radio and TV personality in particular) are still considering this season a failure and their fans suckers.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Yay Cubs for being in the playoffs.

Considering the Cardinals are beat up and missing their best starter for the season, I'd be surprised if they get out of the DS against either the Cubs or Pirates.

Then again, they are the Cardinals and always seem to catch breaks in fortunate situations.

Thing that slightly annoys me: the 95-67 Royals have home field advantage throughout the playoffs, while the 97-65 Cubs can't have home field advantage in any round.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Blame Bud Selig for that one. I'm still waiting for the 12th inning to start.

EDIT: And... are you talking about your Buccos there, Brian? Or the Cubs?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Blame Bud Selig for that one. I'm still waiting for the 12th inning to start.

EDIT: And... are you talking about your Buccos there, Brian? Or the Cubs?
The Pirates. There's one guy who shows up on the weekend sports chat show on WPXI, Mark Madden (our resident wrestling fans may have heard of him), who seems dead set on putting down the Pirates as failures for not winning the division, Hurdle for not ever finishing higher than second (to the Cards all three years), and the fans as suckers for following the team at all. And he does it with the persona of a wrestling heel doing a stand up interview. A couple of weeks ago he even called ALL the viewers of that show stupid.

I guess I can consider not having a tv in the lobby at the new job a perk so I can miss that show on Sundays.

jwhouk

jwhouk

You kinda threw me because this is only your best record since '91. And it's not even in the top 10 in the franchise's best records ever.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

You kinda threw me because this is only your best record since '91. And it's not even in the top 10 in the franchise's best records ever.
98 wins is tied for franchise third all time. Only the 1903 and 1909 teams won more.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I hear the Astros did not lose 100 games this year...

jwhouk

jwhouk

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So much for Buctober. For the rest of October I'm a Mets fan. [emoji35]

Piotyr

Piotyr

Don't worry, they'll one-and-done in the Wild Card.
There will come a day when the Cubs lose in the playoffs. But today is not that day.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Arieta can't pitch every night. This ain't 110 years ago.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Or 51.

Wait. That didn't turn out well.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Then it's a good thing the Cubs have the best pitching staff in baseball, by WAR.

Dave

Dave

I hope the cubs fail miserably and are never seen again. I have nothing against them as a team, but they are owned by the Ricketts family and I fucking loath them, especially dickhead Pete, Nebraska's illustrious governor.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

First Kang, and now Tejada. I smell a rule change coming in the offseason.

jwhouk

jwhouk

And they will promptly supply power to the new Braves Stadium with the revolutions coming from Ty Cobb's grave if they change the rule to "no hard slides."

Covar

Covar

Maybe I'm ignorant, but couldn't they have called it interference? He changed his path before starting the slide in order to prevent the second baseman from making the play.

Tress

Tress

It's not the hard slide that was the problem. It was a dick move by a shitty organization with no regard for others... that was the problem.

jwhouk

jwhouk

That's an out and out at first for interference and if the ump thought it was truly malicious he should have thrown the guy out.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

My phone just got an alert from MLB At Bat: Dodgers 2B Chase Utley suspended for NLDS Games 3 and 4 as a result of his illegal slide in the 7th inning Saturday.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Well deserved.

And let me get this straight - the umps didn't call that an automatic double play, and dead-ball situation?

Tress

Tress

Well deserved.

And let me get this straight - the umps didn't call that an automatic double play, and dead-ball situation?
Nope. They thought it was A-okay, apparently.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

And I believe they even called Utley out, even though neither he nor the bag were ever tagged.

The umpire made the wrong call every which way on that play, I think.

Covar

Covar

And I believe they even called Utley out, even though neither he nor the bag were ever tagged.

The umpire made the wrong call every which way on that play, I think.
they called him safe.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I think we have definite proof that Obama is either a foreigner or an alien. Sending a message of support from WHITE SOX FANS to the Cubs? @HowDroll can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the height of Chicago baseball blasphemy?

blotsfan

blotsfan

Considering this happened, I think the White Sox do not like the Cubs.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I find it somewhat ironic that this thread was stuck between the "Minor Rant" and "EPIC Win" threads on my New Posts list.

It would be somewhat sweet if the Mets were the Cubs' NLCS opponent, but they match up better with them than the Dodgers.

Piotyr

Piotyr

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Adam

Adam

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

jwhouk

jwhouk

Most annoying fan base in baseball - CHECK
Most annoying fan base in Canadian Sports - CHECK

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I get the first, but come on. More annoying than Leafs fans, really?

jwhouk

jwhouk

They're a subset of Leafs fans. The ones that don't pay attention until the Leafs are already out of a playoff spot.

blotsfan

blotsfan

They're a subset of Leafs fans. The ones that don't pay attention until the Leafs are already out of a playoff spot.
So diehard Blue Jays fans?

drifter

drifter

I guess it makes sense you need to talk shit about other team's fans, not like you have anything to talk about your own team.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Royals just took the lead. May make that ill-timed tweet from the TX governor COMPLETELY moot. :rofl:

Piotyr

Piotyr

Most annoying fan base in baseball - CHECK
Most annoying fan base in Canadian Sports - CHECK
Maybe you are confused by playoff baseball rules, but the Cardinals are done now.

jwhouk

jwhouk

No, they're in second when it comes to the Cubs, sorry.

So - Royals/Blue Jays in the ALCS. Will they play games three and four at Exhibition Stadium, for old time's sake?

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

That would be awesome especially now that Octobers are warm (ish) here

Alas, we tore that monster down (and put up a parking lot)

jwhouk

jwhouk

All five of the remaining teams have won the World Series.

Four of them won their last one within an eight-year stretch, starting 30 years ago.

One of them won their last one in a year ending with an "08".

Celt Z

Celt Z

Nice job, Mets*! Keep it up!

*Words I never thought I'd have to say.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Thank you, Mets! -Giants Fans

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Lemme just flip my bat at you.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Ron Santo would have loved this series.

Tress

Tress

Hell yeah!

jwhouk

jwhouk

The Blue Jays won their last World Series the night I got married.
The Mets won their last World Series my second year in college.
The Royals won their last World Series my first semester in college.

The Cubs won their last series... uh, well, I think my maternal grandfather was two years old at the time.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Presented for your amusement...

blotsfan

blotsfan

The Cubs won their last series... uh, well, I think my maternal grandfather was two years old at the time.
My great-grandmother was only a decade away from being born lol

Celt Z

Celt Z

And it's the Mets! (Sorry, Cubs.)

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Guess even "Back To The Future" gave them too much credit.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Guess even "Back To The Future" gave them too much credit.
They weren't that far off. That's probably the amazing part.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Murphy's Law.

jwhouk

jwhouk

The Royals, I coulda seen.

But the METS?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The McCarver Rule in full effect... after just one pitch.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

And there it is. Combination of the Royals able to do no wrong & the Mets couldn't get anything right. Congratulations to the Royals!!

My Dad is from KC, & a lot of his family still lives there. Plus my best friend moved back there a few years back. Since it can't be my Reds (this year) this will do quite nicely.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Too many articles to link here, but the way the Washington Post tells it, the hiring of Dusty Baker was multiple levels of epic fail. Apparently Bud Black was the first choice, and was told the job was his. Then he got the terms from the Lerner family. Exit Bud Black.

I predict Harper is going to be eating a lot of dirt, especially on road trips, as other managers take Dusty's tactic of preemptive beanballs. :mad:

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

New rule - If a player gets over 98% of the vote, & you voted against the guy... you no longer get a vote.

Tress

Tress

Three. Three cranky assholes didn't vote for Griffey. Those three should be required to defend their stupid decision, and then banned from all future baseball activities if there's no good excuse.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

There is no good excuse. I'm guessing one of the three is the same guy who didn't vote for Maddux last year, & has said he won't vote for anyone who played in the "steroid era" no matter how clean they were. I'm also guessing at least one if not both the others guys did it simply because nobody else has ever gotten 100% of the vote before.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Three. Three cranky assholes didn't vote for Griffey. Those three should be required to defend their stupid decision, and then banned from all future baseball activities if there's no good excuse.
I actually read a compelling argument from one of the guys that didn't vote Maddux: he was going to get so many votes anyway, since there are 15 deserving candidates he used his 10 votes on more borderline candidates.

jwhouk

jwhouk

The "They don't need my vote" thing was mentioned several times in MLB Network's lead-up coverage.

What I was saddened by was that it was only those two.

Dave

Dave

New rule - If a player gets over 98% of the vote, & you voted against the guy... you no longer get a vote.
There are a lot of voters for that who say nobody should be 100% or voted in the first time. So if you're doing that and not voting on straight merit...you should no longer get a vote.

jwhouk

jwhouk

If you want the voters to vote on straight merit, you should not restrict their selections.

That means if they wanna vote in both Ken Griffey Jr. AND Kendrys Morales*, then they should be allowed to do so without having to "game" it that they vote for Kendrys so he doesn't fall of the ballot.

And if someone wants to vote for Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Pete Rose AND Joe Jackson - well.

* - Yes, I know, Kendrys Morales is an active major leaguer; I'm trying to make a point.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Thread Title Change to reflect...

...PITCHERS AND CATCHERS HAVE REPORTED!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Opening day. And @DarkAudit has to be happy about the results from Pittsburgh - Liriano K's 10 and the Buccos win 4-1. Jays beat the Rays 5-3 down in St. Pete - and tonight it's the rematch of the 2015 World Series with the Royals hosting the Mets.

jwhouk

jwhouk

And though the Metsies made it interesting, the Royals held on to win their opener.

So tomorrow is the real opener for everyone else - and despite the contrived-ness of it, I plan on wearing my cap.

Gared

Gared

Oh good, the Mariners still have what it takes to lose games in new and exciting ways.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Good thing we don't meet up until August, then. That three-game series in Seattle will be "who wants to lose it more?"

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Man, I hope the Giants' offense is like today for the rest of the season! Span is already showing to be a great addition!

Gared

Gared

Man, I hope the Giants' offense is like today for the rest of season! Span is already showing to be a great addition!
Well, it is an even year.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Man, I hope the Giants' offense is like today for the rest of season! Span is already showing to be a great addition!
Do not be fooled. You were playing a Triple-A squad.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I hate preseason/early season talk about who is going to win the World Series... except this year they are talking about the Astros. That is a pretty nice turn around for this decade.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Season over before it really began for Kyle Schwarber. :(

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The knee, it's always the knee. - Howard Cossell

jwhouk

jwhouk

Welp, cancel the World Series victory parade down Upper Wacker Drive.

BErt

Jake Arrieta no-hits the Reds AND kills a Twitter account
image.jpeg image.jpeg

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm non-plussed.

A Cub doing something like that is always frustrating for me, but on the other hand, I had him started on my Topps BUNT account's free-for-all game, so massive points.

Gared

Gared

Big news today for Mariners fans, as Nintendo America has announced the sale of their majority stake in the team, and the retirement (when the sale is finalized) of the current CEO. The new CEO has apparently been working in the background for a few years, and has spent all of his life in Seattle, with the exception of the time he was attending Harvard, and was a minority owner of the SuperSonics, who voted against their move to OKC. Sadly, all of this good news was apparently too much for our starting pitcher to bear, causing him to give up 5 runs in 5 innings and to apparently break the wrist of a hit batsman.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Can I get a ruling here? Team A at Team B for a 4-game series. Team A wins the first three, but the last game is PPD due to rain/snow and won't be made up until Team A's next visit in June at the earliest.

Does this still count as a sweep?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

dammit astros

that is all.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Can I get a ruling here? Team A at Team B for a 4-game series. Team A wins the first three, but the last game is PPD due to rain/snow and won't be made up until Team A's next visit in June at the earliest.

Does this still count as a sweep?
Technically, no.

Gared

Gared

dammit astros

that is all.
Is Gomez ok? That looked like a really nasty hit in Wednesday night's game, and he seemed to be in a hell of a lot of pain from some very simple manipulation. I'm all for getting rid of good batters, but I don't want to actually see someone injured.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Don Mattingly is an idiot.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

6 HBP, 3 ejections, 9th inning comeback. I'll take it...

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

6 HBP, 3 ejections, 9th inning comeback. I'll take it...
You'd better... fucking Reds & their glorified AAA bullpen. Trade away all their talent & can't find 3 guys who can get them from the 7th to the 9th without blowing the lead :mad:

As for the Scherzer game, congrats!! This is one of the rarest feats in baseball history. 5 times in 150+ seasons, first time in 15 years. Had a chance for 21, which I'm not sure any of the others have had. Do yourself a favor & preserve the game ticket somehow. I had the misfortune of attending the "Bartman game" at Wrigley in the 2003 NLCS. Unfortunately i left the ticket in my wallet for so long the printing on it faded away so it is now invisible. Of course no one ever believed me anyways, since the ticket said "2003 NLCS Game 3" (it was Game 6, but it was the 3rd game @ Wrigley since they had home-field advantage).

Perhaps frame the photo above (or some other suitable photo from the night) with the ticket below/above?[/QUOTE]

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Um... I didn't say all that. :p

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Fixed... deleted a bracket somewhere

Zappit

Zappit

Looks like Marvel started sponsoring MLB games.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Joey Bats vs. Roguened Odor... That sounds like a Luchadora fight, not a baseball game...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Just filthy...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Caminero.

:facepalm:

That's all I got.

Gared

Gared

Guys? Guys. Seriously guys. I know they're the worst team in the league. That doesn't mean you can sleep through the fucking series.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Hey, at least one guy put it clear out of the ballpark.

Gared

Gared

Hey, at least one guy put it clear out of the ballpark.

Yes he did. Sadly, that was in batting practice.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Well @DarkAudit guess your trip couldn't be too perfect.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Well @DarkAudit guess your trip couldn't be too perfect.
Drat.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Dude. You're at Citi Field watching a major league baseball game.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Dude. You're at Citi Field watching a major league baseball game.
Context: that exchange was just after Taillon lost his no-hit bid in the 7th,

That's still as close to a no-hitter I've ever been to. :)

jwhouk

jwhouk

August 25, 1981. Dennis Lamp at County Stadium. Believe he had one out in the ninth before the Crew broke the no-no. I was sitting in the bleachers with my dad.

Gared

Gared

Sigh... Mariners gonna Mariner

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Astros are back above .500. If the Rangers do their traditional All Star Game collapse, the Astros could catch them.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Sigh... Mariners gonna Mariner
Pirates Pirating tonight. 6-1 lead now a 7-6 deficit. :(

Tress

Tress

The Giants are doing well, despite half of the team on the DL. So, yay?

jwhouk

jwhouk

It's June.

I think Gared probably doesn't wanna know what baseball cap I wear on a regular basis (outside work, since I'm not allowed to wear "logoed caps")...

Hint: An "S" with scrambled eggs on the bill...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

It's June.

I think Gared probably doesn't wanna know what baseball cap I wear on a regular basis (outside work, since I'm not allowed to wear "logoed caps")...

Hint: An "S" with scrambled eggs on the bill...
So many what-ifs with them. What if Sen. Symington of MO had minded his own business and let the expansion go on MLB's timetable. What if the franchise hadn't gone bankrupt. What if someone other than Bud bought the team. What if Bud had lost in court right before the 1970 season began.

Gared

Gared

I mean, it's hard to be really good when 3 of your 5 starting pitchers are either on the DL or gimped out from tendinitis. It's also hard to be really good when your bullpen has seen so many pitches that they've completely worn out, and your best relief pitcher hasn't even been seen yet due to an injury from the previous season (which has apparently been bothering him on and off for the last 4 years). And, it's hard to be really good when the heart of your batting order goes a combined 20 hits for 90 at bats in 7 games, and one of them has to be sat to get his head back on straight - but at least team management now has the balls to do that, instead of being completely useless or afraid to sit the "star players".

I think the thing that hurts the most, as a Mariner's fan, is that they looked so promising earlier in the season. Felix obviously didn't have his old stuff - his velocity was down, he wasn't getting the strike calls that he used to, and he wasn't getting people to swing at his off-speed stuff as well as he used to - but the bullpen was solid, Ianetta did a damn good job of keeping all of the pitches in front of him (no matter how off target they were), and we occasionally had some run support for him. Kuma is also getting old (let's face it, the only reason he's a Mariner this season is because he failed the physical for the team that was going to buy him in the off season), but he'd been hanging in pretty well for the most part. Walker was an inconsistent kid, but when he was on, he was really on. Miley took some calming down, but once he was settled in, he became a nice solid pitcher, and Karns has been consistent. But, we have no depth in the outfield (or at SS, really), so an injury to our CF right when his bat was heating up, following an injury to our SS right when his bat was heating up, followed by injuries to the King, Walker, and Miley and we're right back to the Mariners of yesteryear - buying up whatever cheap pitching we can to try to plug all the holes in our starting rotation and our bullpen, and swinging at every god damn pitch in the hopes of hitting enough solo home runs to win games. Now we're in a race to the bottom, and it's tough to tell what's going to get there first - support for the team, or the team's record.

Edit: Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 3 of our starting 5? Surely I misspoke - that's 4 of our 5 starters. Tonight's was scratched before he even threw the first pitch - tightness in his surgically repaired elbow. And, of course, to follow up that wonderful news, one of our best AAA prospects was banned 80 games for PED use.

jwhouk

jwhouk

In case you missed it, MLB put on a baseball game at Fort Bragg, NC - the first regular-season Major League game in North Carolina, and the first ever MLB game played on an active military base.

The game wasn't that spectacular - the Braves are in last place, and the Marlins handled them relatively easily - but the big story was something that happened off the field...

Dave

Dave

1. How did he get in? Someone had to sell him his ticket, which was totally within their right to do.
  2. 11 fucking balls?!? How the fuck do you get 11 fucking balls in one game?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

that dude is the saddest motherfucker i've ever heard of in baseball, for a myriad of reasons. even "Marlins Man" didn't go.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

that dude is the saddest motherfucker i've ever heard of in baseball, for a myriad of reasons. even "Marlins Man" didn't go.
He was offered tickets, but declined.

Tress

Tress

1. 11 fucking balls?!? How the fuck do you get 11 fucking balls in one game?
You run around like an asshole snatching them before other people can catch them.

Dave

Dave

You run around like an asshole snatching them before other people can catch them.
But that's nearly impossible. You'd have to be in exactly the right position every time. Ballparks are huge. I call bullshit.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

But that's nearly impossible. You'd have to be in exactly the right position every time. Ballparks are huge. I call bullshit.
He mostly hangs out during batting practice, and he knows enough about baseball to choose which side of the bleachers to be on for each batter. Then he runs around like an asshole, trying to beat others to the ball.

Dave

Dave

So they aren't game balls. It's the equivalent of just going to the store and buying balls, only you can't be an asshole when you do that.

Got it.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Celt Z

Celt Z

That eagle's all, "....nope! FREEDOM!"

Dave

Dave

And if you read the Twitter comments, both ABC and KTLA asked the guy who filmed it permission to use. That's well done!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Let's just nip this one in the bud, m'kay?

I know about the Kang story out of Chicago. All I know is what's reported.

As a Pirate fan, I am biased, so this is all I'm going to say about this situation.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Uhm. Wow. Yeah.

Not much you can say to that.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

jwhouk

jwhouk

The Brewers are playing a road game at Miller Park tonight.

Seriously: they could block ticket orders from any zip code starting with a 6 and they'd STILL have more Cub fans in the damn stands.

jwhouk

jwhouk

This is what we have to deal with in America in 2016, people.

Chris Sale "sent home" for cutting up Sox '76 throwback jerseys

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

This is what we have to deal with in America in 2016, people.

Chris Sale "sent home" for cutting up Sox '76 throwback jerseys
Uniwatch will be all over this, guaranteed. :)

jwhouk

jwhouk

Chris Creamer is as well.

Think the cut-up jerseys might be worth something on eBay?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Chris Creamer is as well.

Think the cut-up jerseys might be worth something on eBay?

Also WTF, WGN? don't the Brewers fans suffer enough just being Brewers fans without you poking them?

Covar

Covar

If I was a Brewers fan I would just point out that the Cubs still have a longer drought.

jwhouk

jwhouk

1982 > 1945.

Oh, and 1982 > 1979, Bucco lover.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

A baseball reddit thread full of awesome. :)

jwhouk

jwhouk

Only thing that would have topped that would have been meeting/talking to Vin.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Damn it, Giants! Stop sucking already! :mad:

Tress

Tress

Damn it, Giants! Stop sucking already! :mad:
I know. It's been hard to watch the last few weeks.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I'm not falling for this one again.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

dear Astros - please win some more. thanks

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Dear Astros - thank you for losing against us. We especially appreciated it since we are down a couple of our best players.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Dear Astros - Sorry, we really don't want Carlos Gomez back, tnxkbai - Love, the Brew Crew

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Dear Giants - Please hold onto a sizable lead and not blow it at the very last possible moment. P.S. - Get a new and competent closer.

Tress

Tress

Dear Giants - Please hold onto a sizable lead and not blow it at the very last possible moment. P.S. - Get a new and competent closer.
...and on the days when your pitchers actually play well, stop getting blanked on the scoreboard. Thanks.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

jwhouk

jwhouk

Bite me, Pierogi Boy. [emoji14]

Sent from my Nextbook

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

The Giants need a new closer NOW. They have to have at least a two-run lead when Casilla comes in because he almost always gives up at least one run. :mad:

Tress

Tress

The Giants need a new closer NOW. They have to have at least a two-run lead when Casilla comes in because he almost always gives up at least one run. :mad:
They should start by getting an actual closer. Casilla was never meant for this role, hence the blown saves.

Tress

Tress

Casilla strikes again.

The Giants are the most frustrating, disappointing team I've ever watched. I really don't give a shit what your sob story might be, the Giants are the saddest. So much talent and potential just pissed away every night.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

As soon as I saw them warming up Casilla, I knew our lead was gone.

And then big fucking surprise, look what happened. :mad:

jwhouk

jwhouk

Don't mind me, I'm just sitting here not having any sympathy as I look up the standings at pretty much everyone in the Central.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I can't be the only one sick of the David Ortiz Farewell Tour.
David Ortiz is sick of it too.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Sorry. One of my franchise's two greatest players ever was basically a career DH.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I can't be the only one sick of the David Ortiz Farewell Tour. Well, not so much that as the media gushing over each new career milestone. So he just passed Mickey Mantle on the HR list? Yeah, right. You know how many home runs Mantle hit as a DH? ZERO. Nor a solitary hit. I'm a National League guy, and to me a career DH is half a player. All those accomplishments came with the luxury of sitting on his ass in the dugout when his other teammates had to grab a glove and play the field.

He ain't all that.

career DH's are going to get into the hall of fame since no one on earth gives a solitary fuck about watching pitchers hit and it rules :D also their HRs count exactly the same. also, the best thing about DH's? They never get errors.

blotsfan

blotsfan

The reason I'm opposed to DHs is that not having one can lead to non-pitchers pitching in a game.

Tress

Tress

Fuck you, Bochy. How many times do you have to put Casilla in and have him blow it before you learn?!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Hey, who's that Farmer guy pitching for the Sox? ;)

Tress

Tress

This is the first time I've ever hated being a Giants fan.

What.the.fuck.

jwhouk

jwhouk

The Dodgers are playing for Vin. And the Giants are just imploding.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

This is the first time I've ever hated being a Giants fan.

What.the.fuck.
I stopped watching once they got to the bottom of the Ninth with only a one-run lead. That's how little faith I have in the Giants' bullpen anymore.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Leaving this here for @jwhouk, et al...

Those who get it will hear a certain voice by the second bar. ;)
Oh. Yeah. TWIB.

And TBH I wasn't even a baseball fan yet, really, in mid 1977. I didn't go to my first game until '78.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

MLB seems to get it. It's not DMCA happy like the NFL is when it comes to posting classic games on YouTube. So you get stuff like this, which was just posted yesterday. I bring you, Disco Demolition Night, July 12, 1979...
I remember the coverage, but in rural Texas we did not get this game.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Leaving this here for @jwhouk, et al...

Those who get it will hear a certain voice by the second bar. ;)
You can't have that without following it up with Gathering Crowds, man.

--Patrick

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Jose Fernandez died :(

blotsfan

blotsfan

I don't know much about him as a player, but reading this, especially in the context of how he died is super-depressing.

Edit: And apparently he also had a kid on the way. This is awful.

jwhouk

jwhouk

That's the damndest thing about it. Survives jumping out of a boat to try to make it to the US from Cuba - and dies in a boating accident.

This kid was supposed to be the Marlins' new ace pitcher. He loved the game. Loved life. He had a family, a child on the way.

Damn.

blotsfan

blotsfan

How was Nolan Ryan so bad? That better be super-recent.

Tress

Tress

How was Nolan Ryan so bad? That better be super-recent.
It was.

*snip*

EDIT: Ninja'd

Tress

Tress

The playoffs are set! The Giants somehow managed to limp their way into the playoffs. On the other hand, they played their best baseball of the second half over the last 10 games, and it's an even year...

jwhouk

jwhouk

WC: Giants over Mets, Blue Jays over Orioles.
ALDS: Boston over Cleveland in four, Rangers over Jays in an epic five game battle.
NLDS: Dodgers over Nats in four, Giants take Cubs to five games - and blow game five in the ninth.
ALCS: Red Sox take Rangers in six.
NLCS: In game one, Chase Utley will limp up to the plate in the bottom of the ninth and hit a game-winning homer off Aroldis Chapman for the win. The Dodgers will advance to the World Series in five games after Kershaw nearly no-hits the Cubs in game five.
World Series: Red Sox take the Dodgers in six.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

The playoffs are set! The Giants somehow managed to limp their way into the playoffs. On the other hand, they played their best baseball of the second half over the last 10 games, and it's an even year...
Our only hope is that they are currently on their second wind like when they took it all from the wildcard the last time.

blotsfan

blotsfan

All I know is the Giants are winning it all.

Tress

Tress

Our only hope is that they are currently on their second wind like when they took it all from the wildcard the last time.
I genuinely don't see the Giants winning it all. Their offense is wildly inconsistent, their bullpen is crap, and the starting rotation can only do so much. Still, it's nice they got this far.

I predict the Giants *might* beat the Mets, but if they do the Cubs will take them in 4. I see either the Cubs or Nats winning it all.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

ROOTING POWER RANKINGS

1 Orioles
2 Mets
3 Dodgers
4 Blue Jays
5 Nationals
6 Indians
7 Rangers
8 Red Sox
9 Cubs
10 Giants

Tress

Tress

No. The Dodgers should be at the bottom of the list. Every time.

No exceptions.

BErt

ROOTING POWER RANKINGS

1 Orioles
2 Mets
3 Dodgers
4 Blue Jays
5 Nationals
6 Indians
7 Rangers
8 Red Sox
9 Cubs
10 Giants
1 Cubs i guess why not?
2 Fuck
3 The
4 Rest
5 Of
6 You
7 All
8 Mother
9 Fuckers
10 Dodgers

...i really dont care anymore, fire ausmus, it's football season

*edited for Tress

blotsfan

blotsfan

Are we still pretending the Giants aren't gonna win the world series?

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Are we still pretending the Giants aren't gonna win the world series?
Thank you, Gillaspie!

jwhouk

jwhouk

"You will take the ball from me, when you pry it from my COLD DEAD HANDS" - Bumgarner to Bochy three seconds after Gillaspie's homer landed in the RCF bullpen.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

WC: Giants over Mets, Blue Jays over Orioles.
ALDS: Boston over Cleveland in four, Rangers over Jays in an epic five game battle.
NLDS: Dodgers over Nats in four, Giants take Cubs to five games - and blow game five in the ninth.
ALCS: Red Sox take Rangers in six.
NLCS: In game one, Chase Utley will limp up to the plate in the bottom of the ninth and hit a game-winning homer off Aroldis Chapman for the win. The Dodgers will advance to the World Series in five games after Kershaw nearly no-hits the Cubs in game five.
World Series: Red Sox take the Dodgers in six.
Right so far.

How much money did you put down on all this?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Absolutely nothing.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

ROOTING POWER RANKINGS

1 Orioles
2 Mets

3 Dodgers
4 Blue Jays
5 Nationals
6 Indians
7 Rangers
8 Red Sox
9 Cubs
10 Giants
FUCK

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Rangers over Jays in an epic five game battle.
Woot! Glad you were wrong on this.

Zappit

Zappit

Thanks for everything, Big Papi. You will be missed.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

That ending summed up the Giants' entire season.
Fucking bullpen can't hold a three-run lead for three fucking outs! :mad:

Tress

Tress

This was the first time I ever felt angry about being a Giants fan. That fucking bullpen cost them all season long, and now they put the final nail in the season's coffin.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Giants take Cubs to five games - and blow game five in the ninth.
So close to being sooo right. :thumbsup:

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

And now it's on to the NLCS, there the Cubs' collapses have passed into legend. Leon Durham. Steve Bartman. Who will it be this time?
Like the Red Sox, I want to see the Cubs win one just so they don't have the fucking "curse" excuse to fall back on when they suck again.

blotsfan

blotsfan

So, are we still pretending the Giants aren't winning the wor-wait what?

Tress

Tress

Okay, time to root for my 2nd favorite team: anyone playing the Dodgers. Go Nationals!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I could watch this over and over again.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Cheesy, rooting for the Cubs because they're playing the Dodgers is like rooting for Trump because he's running against Hillary.

Sent from my Nextbook

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Trump Fuck Dodgers.jpg

Tress

Tress

Cheesy, rooting for the Cubs because they're playing the Dodgers is like rooting for Trump because he's running against Hillary.

Sent from my Nextbook
No. The Dodgers can never win. That's one of the sacred tenets of being a Giants fan.

jwhouk

jwhouk

...aaaand right on cue.

Sorry, but rooting for the Cubs is like rooting for Microsoft.

jwhouk

jwhouk

No, rooting for the Cubs is like rooting for the serial killer in the horror movie.

You have to understand: I have only two favorite teams. The Milwaukee Brewers, and whoever is playing the Cubs.

Tress

Tress

You have to understand: Fuck the Dodgers. Now and forever.

It's that simple. My favorite teams in baseball, in order, are:

1) The Giants
2) Any team playing the Dodgers at that moment.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

And screw the Fox announcer who said that Kershaw " . . . is the best pitcher in the league, no one can argue that now."
Fuck you, he hasn't even BEEN to a World Series, much less have three rings and an MVP. He's not even the best pitcher in his division, asshole.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I had to think about that for a moment.

Only one problem: MadBum is back on his farm in North Carolina right now. Kershaw's pitching in the NLCS.[DOUBLEPOST=1476678780,1476678626][/DOUBLEPOST]Onto other things:

A Cleveland-Chicago Cubs World Series would be a harbinger of the Apocalypse, right?

BErt

Only if it were the Browns. :p
No, The Cavs won, so if it's Cubs/Indians I think we all have to root for the Cubs. 2 Cleveland championships in one year is a sure sign of Trump winning and the world ending.

jwhouk

jwhouk

No, it's the Cubs winning the World Series that indicates the end is nigh.

jwhouk

jwhouk

He doesn't count. He's British.

Celt Z

Celt Z

No, rooting for the Cubs is like rooting for the serial killer in the horror movie.

You have to understand: I have only two favorite teams. The Milwaukee Brewers, and whoever is playing the Cubs.
You have to understand: Fuck the Dodgers. Now and forever.

It's that simple. My favorite teams in baseball, in order, are:

1) The Giants
2) Any team playing the Dodgers at that moment.
Guys, guys... look, if we need to agree on something, it's always okay to hate the Red Sox.

Man, f*** the Sox.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I'm not a big baseball fan but I think when people are talking about unlikeable teams, Yankees fans should keep their heads down and their mouths shut.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Haters gonna hate. :p

(But seriously, with the exception of 2009, it has not been a good 15 years for us. I blame the pox that is/was A-Rod.)

jwhouk

jwhouk

Yanks have a damn good nucleus of players right now that didn't get much playing time until they sold off Chapman and kicked A-Rod to the curb. They scare me, now that the Sawx are sans Papi.

Sent from my Nextbook

Tress

Tress

Honestly, fuck ESPN and most of the sports media for making everything about NY vs. Boston. It's a big rivalry, we get it. Imagine how those 2 fan bases would feel if everything in the media revolved around the SF vs. LA rivalry.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Yanks have a damn good nucleus of players right now that didn't get much playing time until they sold off Chapman and kicked A-Rod to the curb. They scare me, now that the Sawx are sans Papi.
I think we need another season or two of experimenting before they can really jell.

Honestly, fuck ESPN and most of the sports media for making everything about NY vs. Boston. It's a big rivalry, we get it. Imagine how those 2 fan bases would feel if everything in the media revolved around the SF vs. LA rivalry.
True, but that's how we feel with every other sport lately. Yanks Baseball is all we got! (No, Mets, you keep trying. *pats head*)

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Haters gonna hate. :p
Just shake it off.

Tress

Tress

True, but that's how we feel with every other sport lately.
You've had the spotlight for around 20 years, if not more. It's okay for you to share once in a while.:p

Celt Z

Celt Z

You've had the spotlight for around 20 years, if not more. It's okay for you to share once in a while.:p
I say "lately" because the Knicks were something 20+ years ago. But otherwise, what is there? I love the NY Giants, but the last thing I could call them is consistent. The Rangers? Even less, since the same amount of wins in even more of a gap. So what does that leave us with, the Jets? The Mets? The defecting traitors Nets? The Devils? *snirk* The Islanders?? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

...No.

For one of the world's biggest metropolitans, we have baseball. Legendary baseball. And that's about it.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I just know from personal experience that when the Yankees are hot, the rest of the division is just playing for second place.

Nowadays, if the Sawx and Yankees are hot, the other three teams in the East are playing for the second wild card.

Don't get me wrong - I love seeing the Bombers lose. Remember, they beat my Crew in '81 in our first post-season series, and my dad still holds a long grudge over that 1958 series loss.

blotsfan

blotsfan

jwhouk

jwhouk

Bad viewing tonight: the disintegration of the Green Bay Packers, or the disintegration of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Either way, #chicagosucks

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Pressure is on Kershaw now. Can he really deliver when he's needed the most, his team's season on the line in enemy territory?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Bartman happened at home. With an extra game to play in case something went wrong. And we all know how that ended. [emoji48]

^5

Sent from my Nextbook

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

And once again , Kershaw buckles under the pressure of the postseason and the Dodgers are eliminated. All is right again.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I can't believe they did it

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

So this is a World Series between two cursed teams. This is gonna be FUN

Celt Z

Celt Z

I keep trying to wrap my brain around having a Cubs/Indians World Series, and my brain keeps saying, "No, that can't be right. You're probably just having a stroke."

I think I'm going to have to watch this. Though I am slightly disappointed they're not letting Charlie Sheen throw a pitch.

...and there it is again. Words are coming out I never thought I'd say. I SMELL TOAST. DOES ANYONE ELSE SMELL TOAST?![DOUBLEPOST=1477193395,1477192911][/DOUBLEPOST]This also means Back to the Future Part II might have only been off by a year. That's still freaky. (Not that the Marlins thing could happen.)

jwhouk

jwhouk

Go Tribe.

Sent from my Nextbook

Tress

Tress

I'm okay with either team winning. If it can't be the Giants, then I'll be happy to see another long-suffering fan base get to celebrate.

jwhouk

jwhouk

...I just don't want it to be the Cubs.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

ROOTING POWER RANKINGS

1 Orioles
2 Mets
3 Dodgers
4 Blue Jays
5 Nationals

6 Indians
7 Rangers
8 Red Sox

9 Cubs
10 Giants
FUCK.

i guess the year of Trump is as good as any for a leering racist stereotype logo to win the world series

blotsfan

blotsfan

FUCK.

i guess the year of Trump is as good as any for a leering racist stereotype logo to win the world series
I thought they got rid of that logo. Everything I've seen of them is just the red C.

jwhouk

jwhouk

They still wear the Chief Wahoo hats at home, from what I understand.

Let's see - with the Cubs finally making the World Series, who's the team with the longest drought between their last World Series appearance?

...Oh, sorry, @DarkAudit, didn't see you there.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I thought they got rid of that logo. Everything I've seen of them is just the red C.
http://www.mlbshop.com/Cleveland_Indians_2016_Postseason_Gear

Coulda fooled me, it's on at least half of the stuff

Piotyr

Piotyr

That was probably the most electric baseball game I've ever attended.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

That was probably the most electric baseball game I've ever attended.
As was the Bartman game until, you know... THAT happened.

Piotyr

Piotyr

As was the Bartman game until, you know... THAT happened.
The routine double play ball that went through Alex Gonzalez's legs?

jwhouk

jwhouk

I see from MLB.com that there was some smartass in the stands as a foul ball was drifting toward the first base dugout side that put his hands up to keep fans from wanting to "reach out" to potentially grab a foul ball - which I believe Rizzo caught easily in foul territory.

EDIT: I was wrong, Javier Baez caught it.

jwhouk

jwhouk

As it is my anniversary, I find it touching that Cleveland Indians fans discovered that Ryan Merritt (the Tribe's starter in game five of the ALCS) was getting married - and had an online registry set up.

Guess what Indians fans did?

Celt Z

Celt Z

As it is my anniversary, I find it touching that Cleveland Indians fans discovered that Ryan Merritt (the Tribe's starter in game five of the ALCS) was getting married - and had an online registry set up.

Guess what Indians fans did?
Was it candlesticks? I hear candlesticks are a nice gift.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Oh, just for a laugh, I hope Robert Wuhl bought the guy some candlesticks. :rofl:

jwhouk

jwhouk

Harry Caray would be a better choice to do the World Series broadcast - and he's been dead for years.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

And it now all comes down to one game.

Celt Z

Celt Z

This is what I was hoping for. If you're going to have two "WTF?" teams, make it a challenge, not a sweep.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Aroldis Chapman blowing the World Series in the 9th inning to keep the curse alive would be the sweetest karma.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Jon Lester executing a pick off to end the game would be pretty hilarious .

jwhouk

jwhouk

Is it the apocalypse?

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Unless the Cubs try to lose it right now. Awful fielding.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Are we really doing this? I'm not complaining, I just want to see if we're really doing this.

Tress

Tress

Aroldis Chapman blowing the World Series in the 9th inning to keep the curse alive would be the sweetest karma.
You were close. 8th inning, not 9th.

Zappit

Zappit

Oh, my god. The Cubs are going to blow it.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

That bunt call on a full count was so fucking stupid. Maddon is making some terrible decisions this game.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Guys, its been a pleasure. But its all over now.

[DOUBLEPOST=1478145461,1478145266][/DOUBLEPOST]I hate everything.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I really need to go to sleep, but I can't stop watching this insanity.

General Specific

General Specific

It's past midnight here and I get up at 6am to go to work... still watching.

blotsfan

blotsfan

It's past midnight here and I get up at 6am to go to work... still watching.
Thankfully I was already planning on coming in a bit later tomorrow so...7am for me.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

You're in the same time zone as her, then.[DOUBLEPOST=1478147726,1478147368][/DOUBLEPOST]. . . As am I. I got off work and here to the bar just after Cleveland tied it up. I'll be up a few more hours anyway, so I'm good if it lasts a few extra innings. Though it's looking like it will end now, in 10.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I really have no clue why this particular....game.....match....fight....round....bout....wicket.... is so special?

blotsfan

blotsfan

It decides the champion vs the two teams that have gone the longest without winning one. This has been a very good game.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

And the Chicago Cubs are the 2016 World Series champions. Wow.

General Specific

General Specific

Cubs win!

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I really have no clue why this particular....game.....match....fight....round....bout....wicket.... is so special?
It's like if England met Belgium in the World Cup. With a win by whichever one the Cubs represent

General Specific

General Specific

The Cleveland Indians last won the World Series in 1948.

The Chicago Cubs last won in 1908. It had been so long that it had become a joke throughout the league.

This also was game 7 in a best of 7 series after the Cubs had rallied from being down 3-1.

So, one or another of the massive droughts was going to end tonight. The game had crazy ups and downs for both teams and went to extra innings before being decided by the final of 8 - 7.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

The Chicago Cubs last won in 1908. It had been so long that it had become a joke throughout the league.
And a joke in Back to the Future 2.

Frank

Frank

Ahhhh HA HA HA HA!

blotsfan

blotsfan

Thankfully I was already planning on coming in a bit later tomorrow so...7am for me.
Update: I don't feel wonderful.

Piotyr

Piotyr

I'll sleep next year .

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I wonder if the Cubs will start having a good century now.

Tress

Tress

image.png

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

And a joke in Back to the Future 2.
I also used the Cubs as a joke in my history lectures.

The last time the Cubs won a World Series...

1. The Titanic hadn't even been laid down
2. The Ottoman and Austro-Hungarian Empires were still around
3. Germany was ruled by a kaiser
4. Russia was ruled by a Tsar
5. China was under the Qing Dynasty
6. New Mexico, Arizona, Alaska, and Hawaii hadn't been admitted into the Union
7. Teddy Roosevelt was president
8. US Civil War veterans were still alive and kicking
9. Newfoundland hadn't been confederated
10. Geronimo and Red Cloud were still around
11. TV wasn't a thing yet. MOVIES were barely a thing
12. Jim Crow laws were the norm

I can't use any of those as punchlines anymore.

Gared

Gared

I really didn't have a dog in this fight, but after watching Aroldis Chapman blow the lead in the 8th, my Mariners fandom kicked in and I had no choice but to cheer for the Cubs.

Gared

Gared

I really didn't have a dog in this fight, but after watching Aroldis Chapman blow the lead in the 8th, my Mariners fandom kicked in and I had no choice but to cheer for the Cubs.
Blowing the lead late in the game is the most Mariners thing ever. They've become so proficient at it that they even manage to blow entire seasons when it comes down to the end.

Piotyr

Piotyr

It's...a little crazy out here.

Tress

Tress

I'm glad. Any true Cubs fans have been waiting for a long, long while. They've earned a party.

BErt

Damn

jwhouk

jwhouk

That is the tweet of the year.

BErt

That is great news. Now if we could just get y'all to drop the nonsense and adopt the DH...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

That is great news. Now if we could just get y'all to drop the nonsense and adopt the DH...

jwhouk

jwhouk

Though I am a proponent of the DH in general, I do not have a problem with pitchers hitting. Hey, you signed a contract with an NL team? Learn to hit, buddy.

jwhouk

jwhouk

You know, now with Pudge, Rock and Bags in the HOF, the team made up of the last 12 years of players is pretty damn formidable:

Blyleven, Bert
Glavine, Tom
Gossage, Rich
Johnson, Randy
Maddux, Greg
Martinez, Pedro
Smoltz, John
Suter, Bruce

Piazza, Mike
Rodriguez, Ivan

Alomar, Roberto
Bagwell, Jeff
Boggs, Wade
Gordon, Joe
Larkin, Barry
Ripken, Cal Jr.
Sandberg, Ryne
Santo, Ron
Thomas, Frank

Gwynn, Tony
Henderson, Rickey
Rice, Jim
Dawson, Andre
Griffey, Ken Jr.
Raines, Tim

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I am still a little upset that Bags and Biggio did not join the same year.

But, the Astros just doubled their number of HOF members this year!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Forty Years of Addiction Collecting renewed today: first packs of 2017 Topps Baseball Series 1 bought at the local Wallyworld.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The Houston News showed the 18 wheeler getting loaded up with the team equipment and sunflower seeds for the trip to spring training.

...soon.

jwhouk

jwhouk

ATTENTION ALL PERSONNEL!

PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT!

THIS IS NOT FAKE NEWS!

REPEAT: PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT!!!

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Just when I was considering going back to the ballpark this year, the Reds trade off Brandon Phillips. Not paying major league prices to see the Votto & friends show.

Since the trade deadline in 2015 - they have traded off Cueto, Leake, Chapman, Frazier, Bruce & now Phillips.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Ahem

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

*sigh* GDI, Giants! Don't start with this same closer bullshit as last season! :mad:

jwhouk

jwhouk

Today, time begins.

Sent from my NXA8QC116 using Tapatalk

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Because we (the Jays) don't have the same DH we had last year really? That's the critical, all-important position?

Gared

Gared

Ha! They're worried that it's the Moroners' bullpen that's going to let them down. How about the fact that they managed to string together a whopping 3 hits off of Keuchel while getting shut out on opening night? I don't think they're going to get to a point where the bullpen is going to be the issue. Maybe it's the pessimist in me from watching the same shit year after year, but my intuition tells me that their season is going to be over long, long before the bullpen becomes a problem.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The "you gotta be kidding me" look at the end is priceless...

jwhouk

jwhouk

Uh, I don't quite know, but that's gotta be illegal...

Dave

Dave

Stop the season now. The Twins swept the Royals. I can't look at what happens after this. (hint: it'll be a letdown.)

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Uh, I don't quite know, but that's gotta be illegal...
Reddit was all "he's got something on his chest protector!", but if you look closely, a chunk of it comes off when he pulls the baseball away. Apparently there's a thing called friction welding that they use to fuse plastics together, and one theory is that's what happened here.

Gared

Gared

It was a sad, but relieving day yesterday when, after 20+ years of fandom, I officially gave up on the Mariners. We had an interesting ride, but I couldn't even call it a good ride, since they were only half-way decent for 5 of those 20+ years, and not consecutively. Sure, today is only day 6 of the season, but far beyond their 1 - 4 opening record is the fact that last night, at the end of yet another loss, 8 of the 9 players on the line-up were hitting .200 or less - with the 9th batter being hitless. They can't play defense, they can't hit the ball, and half the time it looks like they couldn't care less out there. Since losing to the Angels last night, Seattle is tied with the Giants for last place. This team no longer deserves my loyalty, so I will bid them adieu.

jwhouk

jwhouk

You know, I have a Pilots hat as part of my collection...

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It was a sad, but relieving day yesterday when, after 20+ years of fandom, I officially gave up on the Mariners. We had an interesting ride, but I couldn't even call it a good ride, since they were only half-way decent for 5 of those 20+ years, and not consecutively. Sure, today is only day 6 of the season, but far beyond their 1 - 4 opening record is the fact that last night, at the end of yet another loss, 8 of the 9 players on the line-up were hitting .200 or less - with the 9th batter being hitless. They can't play defense, they can't hit the ball, and half the time it looks like they couldn't care less out there. Since losing to the Angels last night, Seattle is tied with the Giants for last place. This team no longer deserves my loyalty, so I will bid them adieu.
I stepped away from the Astros recently. Actually I did not have a choice, it was more like they pulled away from me. They had their one World Series appearance and then held a fire sale to rid themselves of value, sold the team, and went on deeper cost cutting measures. The icing on the cake, they switched to a TV deal where less than one half of the fan base had any chance of watching them on TV.

But on the up side, they built their team up the right way, by building up their minor league franchises and they have picked up a lot of good talent.

Now they are back on a widely available network, and they are fielding a competitive team. So I am back after 5-10 years in the wilderness.

Gared

Gared

You know, I have a Pilots hat as part of my collection...
The Pilots and the Super Sonics are the lucky ones. They've escaped this sports-horrendous city.

jwhouk

jwhouk

The Pilots and the Super Sonics are the lucky ones. They've escaped this sports-horrendous city.
Russel Wilson says hi.

Gared

Gared

Russell Wilson said last year - before the season began - that he was surrounded by the best, most capable players he'd ever played with. He then proceeded to get sacked 16 times in the first 4 games, and was injured on two of them. Sure, they made it to the playoffs - even as NFC West Champions - but since everyone else in the NFC West had losing records, with two of them being the 49ers at 2-14 and the Rams at 4-12, it would have been hard not to make the playoffs. And then, true to last season's Seahawks form, they won their wildcard game and lost in the divisional round to Atlanta, behind a running performance that was so piss-poor that Wilson had the most rushing yards of any player, with 49 (Wilson also had the most rushing yards against the Cards with 36 and the Buccs with 80, to whom we lost 34-31 and 14-5). They got lucky last year, and I don't know how much more luck they have in them.

Gared

Gared

In fact, the city's only consistently good sports franchise is the one that gets the least love, the least attendance, and the least press: The Seattle Storm - who, in their first three seasons, went to the conference semifinals twice and then brought home the championship in their 3rd season. In fact, you have to go all the way to their 7th season before they failed to make the playoffs. I could post something similar about the Sounders, potentially, but ESPNFC is just crap. The other teams may make the playoffs once in a while. They may make it to, or even win their championship. But, inevitably, it all falls apart without setting up the dominant dynasty that we saw from teams like the Yankees, the Cowboys (from Aikman's era), the Bills, the Patriots, the Celtics, the Bulls, or the Lakers. Ownership around here, and potentially the fan base - it may run deeper than I know - just aren't patient enough with any given group of managers/staff/talent to give them a chance to win, for the most part.

I mean, getting back to baseball, since 2002 the Mariners have had 9 managers. Nine. Some of them lasted a whole season - and there's already a serious call for Servais' head because he's not "demonstrative" enough (by which they mean they want to see the guy throw bases at umpires and get thrown out more often, because poor sportsmanship is to be idolized, I guess). Of those 9, Mike Hargrove abruptly resigned mid-winning season, because his "passion" was fading away (and potentially because of a rift between himself and Ichiro); John McLaren was named as his replacement and then fired less than a year later (mid-season again) because the Mariners had the worst record in baseball and were paying $100M for the privelege; Jim Riggleman finished off the 2008 season, but wasn't kept on; Wakamatsu managed for almost two whole seasons before being fired; Brown finished out that season, and then went back to managing the Tacoma Rainiers; Wedge suffered a stroke mid-season and had to step down at the end of it; McClendon had one successful (meaning winning) season and then was cut the next year following a bad season (though primarily because we had a new FO and they wanted to work with their people, not Jack Z's). But at least with our former managers they've pretty much all gone on to suck at their next jobs too - unlike with our former players, who go on to have league-leading seasons and win dozens of World Series'.

It's like the Cleveland Browns quarterback roster in here.

Tress

Tress

Russell Wilson said last year - before the season began - that he was surrounded by the best, most capable players he'd ever played with. He then proceeded to get sacked 16 times in the first 4 games, and was injured on two of them.
Never believe a word any player says during the preseason. Ever. Because if you ask them, every player is in the best shape of their life, their teammates are the best guys ever to walk on the field, and they're going all the way to the championship this year. Players lie before the season starts, without fail.

Gared

Gared

Never believe a word any player says during the preseason. Ever. Because if you ask them, every player is in the best shape of their life, their teammates are the best guys ever to walk on the field, and they're going all the way to the championship this year. Players lie before the season starts, without fail.
Of course they do, and then they lie all season long. Sometimes their lies get the entire team penalized in draft picks, practice times, money, etc. - I'm lookin' at you, Sherman! Not reporting an injury for half a damn season, I swear.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

But, inevitably, it all falls apart without setting up the dominant dynasty that we saw from . . . the Bills
You're upset your team isn't more like the Bills.:rofl:

I'd feel bad for you, but while the Seahawks have made it to one less Superbowl, sure, they actually won one - and came just as close to winning the very next one as the Bills ever did.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Huh I was about to tell him to fuck off since his city has "only" won one championship in the last 5 years, but it seems like Grue did it for me. Thanks.

Gared

Gared

Hey - I'm not debating that the Seahawks have been good, all I'm saying is that they - like the Mariners and Sonics - will fall to almost laughable season records, probably for decades, before they play in another Superbowl game, much less win one - as opposed to certain teams that, if unable to win their championships, at least played in them enough times, back to back, to be considered dynasties and to build up diehard, loyal fan bases. And yes, I would like it if the Seahawks were more like the Bills. At least when I hear the name "The Bills" I think of Jim Kelly, his battle with cancer, and the way that the team and its fans have come together to support him. When I hear the name "The Seahawks" I think of Marshawn Lynch grabbing his junk as he showboated his way across the goal line, or Richard Sherman trash talking the entire league or getting in fights with the coaching staff on the sideline during games.

Edit: And if they prove me wrong I'm going to say the exact same thing about each of my favorite teams every year.

blotsfan

blotsfan

And yes, I would like it if the Seahawks were more like the Bills. At least when I hear the name "The Bills" I think of Jim Kelly, his battle with cancer, and the way that the team and its fans have come together to support him.
I'm sure your fans would do the same with Steve Largent.

And for some perspective: I graduated from college three years ago.

The Bills's last playoff appearance was when I was in second grade.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Dude. You had Junior. You had (for a while) A-Rod. You had Gar, and Randy Johnson, and some damn fine players.

Okay, you had a really crappy ballpark, but I understand Safeco is tons better now.

I'm still sitting here, thinking that I'm gonna be long out of state before the Crew even sniffs another winning record.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

There was that 6-month stretch during the whole "Hoka Hey" debacle where I tossed every bit of Pirates gear in the house, but I more or less stuck with them through the entire 20-year stretch in the wilderness. I even stuck with them during the darkest days of the Pittsburgh Drug Trials and Jogging George Hendrick.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Hey, I'm still True Blue to the Brew Crew. It's just that I don't expect them to win when I watch games now.

I do, however, miss going to Miller Park (and, to a lesser extent, County Stadium).

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Hey, I'm still True Blue to the Brew Crew. It's just that I don't expect them to win when I watch games now.

I do, however, miss going to Miller Park (and, to a lesser extent, County Stadium).
There's simply no team but the Jays for me, and I went to a ton of their games when I lived in Toronto during the time were sucking badly after their World Series repeat

But for the last few years I have rather given up on baseball in general, so I actually felt like a bit of a bandwagon jumper when they finally made it back to the playoffs the past couple years.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gared

Gared

Wow... 80 games for steroid use. Shitty.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Not much of an apology, either. I'm just going to put this on repeat for the next 80 games...

blotsfan

blotsfan

Seems like he timed it perfectly. Used steroids to leverage himself into a nice extension, but gets caught before said extension goes into effect, meaning the lost salary is much less than it would've been if it happened next year.

jwhouk

jwhouk

@Cheesy1 needs hugs right about now.

Though knowing what we do about Mr. Bumgardner, we shouldn't be surprised.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

It's just so dumbfounding watching it all disintegrate before my eyes.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

@Cheesy1 needs hugs right about now.

Though knowing what we do about Mr. Bumgardner, we shouldn't be surprised.
I think he's got enough rings this decade to console him. :p[DOUBLEPOST=1492835542,1492835442][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'll trade ya. But I get at least one of those championships. :p

jwhouk

jwhouk

Sorry, you know it doesn't work that way.

Tress

Tress

I know how you feel. Let's just remember we got three rings in 6 years.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Some people haven't gotten more than one ring in over 100 years...

jwhouk

jwhouk

I used to think Pernell Karl was a pretty weird name.

Then came Gift Ngoepe.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Then came Gift Ngoepe.
In the same series the Pirates have had the first Lithuanian native and the first African native to reach the majors.

jwhouk

jwhouk

This was the same organization that brought in two cricket players to play in the organization. Speaking of which, where are they now?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

This was the same organization that brought in two cricket players to play in the organization. Speaking of which, where are they now?
Rinku Singh is still in the Pirates system, playing for Bradenton of the GCL. Dinesh Patel is a baseball instructor back in India.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Ask the man who knows....

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Then came Gift Ngoepe.
He Hate Me was my favorite XFL player.

Well, the only player I remember.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

jwhouk

jwhouk

...Does this affect his pitch count at all?

(Sorry, had to go there.)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

He should be back pitching in weeks, then treatments over the off season. I was pretty comfortable after a month, and he is a lot younger and healthier than I was.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The Mets are trending this morning, but not in a good way...

Celt Z

Celt Z

The Mets are trending this morning, but not in a good way...
What? He was just giving them the New York salute! They should be honored!

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

What? He was just giving them the New York salute! They should be honored!
Yeah, I was gonna say that sounds perfectly New York.

jwhouk

jwhouk

The whole thing with the Predators has me so down, I'm figuring I need to finally buck up and see how badly the Brewers are...

2017-06-01standingsNLC.png

:eek:

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Also: well shit. I wish the Jays were playing in that division.

BErt

I've been playing a little more attention than usual to the season this year because I joined a fantasy league for charity...um, is Ervin Santana just quietly having a Cy Young year?IMG_0959.PNG

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

ESPN, you answered your own question. If a kid does something that's been done 16 times before, it obviously was NOT the greatest offensive performance ever.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Yinz all knew this was coming, n'at. And you're goddamned right it's gonna be ME who posts it...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

@Celt Z may want to look away...

Tress

Tress

And word is the Giants are having putting any and all players not named Buster, Bumgarner, or Crawford up for sale. Which makes total sense, by the way, seeing as the team couldn't make a turd sandwich without screwing something up.

It's just hard. I've enjoyed the ride as a fan for the last 10 years so much, I guess I didn't want it to ever end. They've been competitive for 10 straight years! We haven't seen them be sellers at the deadline since 2007 or so, and it takes time to readjust. We're spoiled.

jwhouk

jwhouk

2017-07-01nlcstandings.jpg

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Hey, what shows up for you if you google "mlb standings?"

I get my division.[DOUBLEPOST=1498939918,1498939755][/DOUBLEPOST]Fucking Boston Red Sox :mad::mad::mad:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

And word is the Giants are having putting any and all players not named Buster, Bumgarner, or Crawford up for sale. Which makes total sense, by the way, seeing as the team couldn't make a turd sandwich without screwing something up.

It's just hard. I've enjoyed the ride as a fan for the last 10 years so much, I guess I didn't want it to ever end. They've been competitive for 10 straight years! We haven't seen them be sellers at the deadline since 2007 or so, and it takes time to readjust. We're spoiled.
And of course the Pirates make them look like a roster of hall of famers this weekend. :mad:

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

And of course the Pirates make them look like a roster of hall of famers this weekend. :mad:
They also swept the Rockies right before you guys, too. Meanwhile, @Tress and I are sitting here like "Where da fuq has THIS been all season?! :mad:"

Tress

Tress

They also swept the Rockies right before you guys, too. Meanwhile, @Tress and I are sitting here like "Where da fuq has THIS been all season?! :mad:"
I'm trying to look on the upside there. If they play better before the deadline, the Giants will get better prospects for whomever they trade away.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Our owner has said he's not mortgaging the future to go all-in now with this bunch.

Which I like.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

jwhouk

jwhouk

I only did the rating because I wasn't sure if it was because the Pie-rates lost to a team near and dear to the hearts of some others on this board, or not.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I only did the rating because I wasn't sure if it was because the Pie-rates lost to a team near and dear to the hearts of some others on this board, or not.
:mad:

:p

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Urinating Tree is the gift that keeps on giving. Here's the season so far review...

Celt Z

Celt Z

Here comes the Judge! :D

jwhouk

jwhouk

ALL RISE.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Another present from Urinating Tree.

The Brewers one is coming. You just know it has to be. :p

jwhouk

jwhouk

It will feature a ten minute rant on Ryan Braun, of course.

Tress

Tress

Another present from Urinating Tree.

The Brewers one is coming. You just know it has to be. :p
I've been expecting one for a while. I love the Giants, and have loved them since I was a kid, but I'll be damned if they aren't a giant fucking mess right now.

On a side note, I got tickets behind home plate today! If anyone is watching the Giants game, you can see my ugly mug every time a batter is at the plate.

blotsfan

blotsfan

If anyone is watching the Giants game, you can see my ugly mug every time a batter is at the plate.
Assuming the camera lens doesn't shatter? :p

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

It will feature a ten minute rant on Ryan Braun, of course.

I'd expect more of a "legacy of failure" style video. Starting with how Selig yoinked the Pilots from Seattle, to the so-close-and-yet-so-far Wallbangers era, to switching leagues for who knows why, to the "untuckem" bullshit (it's a uniform, not a TARP, Prince,) to now.

jwhouk

jwhouk

It wasn't Prince who initiated it, though. Mike Cameron.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

It wasn't Prince who initiated it, though. Mike Cameron.
Prince still looked like ass in that poncho he called a uniform. Even 1940s baggy didn't look that bad.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Prince still looked like ass in that poncho he called a uniform. Even 1940s baggy didn't look that bad.
Two words: Willie Stargell.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Two words: Willie Stargell.

The 70s unis were practically skintight. So nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jwhouk

jwhouk

The 70s unis were practically skintight. So nope.

The Pirates went to pinstripes because of him.

Glass houses, kid.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The Pirates went to pinstripes because of him.

Glass houses, kid.

Glass houses with World Series trophies in it. :p

Celt Z

Celt Z

...houses with World Series trophies in it.
...hmm? Did someone just call our name? :D

Tress

Tress

...hmm? Did someone just call our name? :D
Doesn't count when you just buy them. I know this sounds strange, but other teams actually earn them. Weird, I know.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Doesn't count when you just buy them. I know this sounds weird, but other teams actually earn them. Weird, I know.
C'mon. They earned that one in 1969. ;)

Celt Z

Celt Z

Doesn't count when you just buy them. I know this sounds strange, but other teams actually earn them. Weird, I know.
If we could "buy them", we should of had a lot more from the 2000's. We wasted a lot of money for nothing. (Yes, I'm looking at you, A-Rod.)

Gared

Gared

If we could "buy them", we should of had a lot more from the 2000's. We wasted a lot of money for nothing. (Yes, I'm looking at you, A-Rod.)
Suckers!

Tress

Tress

My condolences. A-Rod truly is a piece of shit who ruins everything. I don't think I've ever despised a baseball player more.

I always thought it was funny having Jeter and A-Rod on the same team. It was like having an angel and a devil on the same side, in terms of their personality.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I question a few of the "investments" the Yanks made in the 2000's , but I was against A-Rod from the start. I remember the bidding war and Mr. Z saying his stats were worth it, but there was something about him that I'm like "This guy seems scummy. I think it's a bad idea.". Then as soon as he gets to NY, he proves me right.

blotsfan

blotsfan

He did win you a World Series.

Celt Z

Celt Z

He did win you a World Series.
One, in 2009, and I would hardly give him the credit for it. For all the bull just to get him on the team, there should have been at least 2 more.

blotsfan

blotsfan

One, in 2009, and I would hardly give him the credit for it.
IIRC he was by far the best player during that run.

Also, Yankees fans are so obnoxiously spoiled/entitled. Thanks for reminding me.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

My cousin played for the Yankees. And the Yankees retired three of his numbers.[DOUBLEPOST=1500574198,1500573910][/DOUBLEPOST]Sorry, it was 2 Yankees jerseys and one Detroit Tigers jersey.

Celt Z

Celt Z

IIRC he was by far the best player during that run.
I have to go back and look, but I don't remember him running away with that series. He spent most Yankee tenure, on and off the field, acting like he was the second coming of Jesus, and frankly, he never had enough of an impact to support his ego.

Also, Yankees fans are so obnoxiously spoiled/entitled. Thanks for reminding me.
You're welcome! :D

Celt Z

Celt Z

My cousin played for the Yankees. And the Yankees retired three of his numbers.[DOUBLEPOST=1500574198,1500573910][/DOUBLEPOST]Sorry, it was 2 Yankees jerseys and one Detroit Tigers jersey.
That's really cool! When did he play?

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

One, in 2009, and I would hardly give him the credit for it. For all the bull just to get him on the team, there should have been at least 2 more.
Now I know how @blotsfan feels when I mock the Bills' futility.

(But at least the Jays actually won the championships they reached!)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

That's really cool! When did he play?
between Ruth and Mantle. He was wearing Ruth's Jersey when it was retired. Then he played a season with Mantle and was cut to make room for Mantle's pay. Then Mantle took his jersey.

Celt Z

Celt Z

between Ruth and Mantle. He was wearing Ruth's Jersey when it was retired. Then he played a season with Mantle and was cut to make room for Mantle's pay. Then Mantle took his jersey.
That "Like" was for your cousin making it into the major league, and at what a time! Not for the cutting, which is unfortunate.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I had an uncle by marriage play for the Detroit Lions in 1940. :)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

That "Like" was for your cousin making it into the major league, and at what a time! Not for the cutting, which is unfortunate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Mapes

Supposedly DiMaggio did not like him. Cliff won a playoff game batting for DiMaggio.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I'm Jewish. I'm probably closer related to a number of owners than any professional athletes.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

jwhouk

jwhouk

Bite me, Bucco Boy. You're still looking up the standings.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Bite me, Bucco Boy. You're still looking up the standings.
For now. Marte is back, so the OF band is back together.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Brewers throwing batting practice in DC today. Nats go back-to-back-to-back-to-back in the 3rd. Eight for the game, and it's still only the 5th as I type this.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Sean Rodriguez returns to Pittsburgh. Team: you have 72 hours to report. Sean: I'll be there tomorrow. And then...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Welcome to the bigs, kid! Hope you survive the experience!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Rich Hill was perfect through 8. A no-hitter through 9. And then...

PatrThom

PatrThom

Wat.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Wat.

--Patrick
That was just brawl #1 on the day. :p

Celt Z

Celt Z

Seriously, what was in the water yesterday? :facepalm: